Plot boards

Suzuri

Plot boards

Post by Suzuri » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:10 pm

I am confused as why plot boards seem to associate plot board length with 'absolute' (rather than 'relative, i.e. for the character) difficulty.

I'll give some examples to explain what I mean. In terms of difficulty, my character (D-Rank) would probably fit with D/C-rank plot boards. But I tend to get very involved in my plots, so they're generally long. Quite a lot longer than the 'typically 2 to 4 topics in length' suggested for a C-rank. That means that if I had a plot board of 11 threads, even if they weren't very good (let's say average thread would get 2 points) I would hit the 'stat maximum' offered for a plot board of this rank (which I have no reason why it even exists). And if I write more/better, it would only mean me losing more points. I see no reason in the world why rules should discourage roleplayers from writing, no matter the power level.

On the other side, why are higher-ranked plot boards unnecessarily long? I mean, an epic fight at Genin level could potentially make a plot board if done right (character development etc). And epic fight at S-rank would be...at least the sixth of a plot board, even less ('Typically 6 to 13 topics in length'). I see how increasing difficulty of what one needs to do to get the same points might make sense, some sites do it, but this does not seem to be the case here. Since you're both increasing length and getting more points. Why could you not write short, well-written threads/plots with a lot of risk involved and get the same amount one would get for a D-rank?

So yes. Overall, combining 'plot board length' with 'expected plot board difficulty' confuses me, and I believe there shouldn't be a maximum of stats offered for various ranks either way.

*Edit: I do very much like plot boards as a concept, though.
Suzuri Rinrin | Inkstone | The Travelling Painter

Ace Trainer

Plot boards

Post by Ace Trainer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:46 pm

This entire topic can pretty much be addressed based on

But I tend to get very involved in my plots, so they're generally long. Quite a lot longer than the 'typically 2 to 4 topics in length' suggested for a C-rank.

That.

Just from what I'm reading, it sounds like you're confusing plot boards, with overreaching plots.

The best example I have is this plot I'm doing in Kiri, which involves like 10 different people, and will take up to 10~15 plot boards to complete. The entire plot involves this island, and figuring out whats going on w/ it, but has a bunch of individual plot boards for the specific goals on whats being accomplished during the plot.

An S-rank Plot Board has such length because it shouldn't be cut down to a single topic. If you're attacking the village, there should be several threads of fighting your way into the village, or finding a secret passage, of fighting with people within the village, of getting to your destination, etc etc.

As a genin you may get super in depth with your plot for your character, but the individual plot boards should be relatively minor because genin don't live very exciting lives for the most part, nor do they take on particularly dangerous tasks.

the maximum stat is in place to prevent people from doing a D-rank training plot board and training 800 jutsu and getting 200 stats out of it, which would be the most obvious way to rank up.
Mistaki ShioShiimu KozanGekko IndraShoshiki HeiyaHizashi Ikinari
Kirigakure No Sato
Kemurigakure no Sato

Taishou of Iron Country
Kirigakure No Sato
Genin
Experiment 81 v2
Sunagakure No Sato
Genin
The Soul Host
Iwagakure No Sato
Special Jounin
The Tungsten Princess
Sunagakure No Sato
Jounin
The Revolutionary
Past CharactersShow
[Kenketi Tenteki :: Kumogakure No Sato – Special Jounin]
[Setsuya Inka :: Sunagakure No Sato – The Soul Host – Special Jounin]
[Kaikyo Kohon :: Kirigakure No Sato – Jounin]
[Shinwa Basuta no Suihouheki Yasahii :: Kirigakure No Sato – Mizukage :: Spirit of Capricorn, Topenga]
[Futokutei Hitoare :: Konohagakure No Sato – Pestilence (Four Horsemen) – Jounin]
[Aisu Koiji :: Kirigakure No Sato – Jounin]
[Shitagane Sakki :: Kumogakure No Sato – Genin]
[Batsu Betsuni :: Iwagakure No SatoJounin A Rank Missing Ninja]
[Futokutei Yasunari :: Konohagakure No Sato – Genin]
ChatangoShow
HonchkrOnu
ArticOnu
RichardUnknown
RichardGreen
RichardRed
RichardBlack
RichardGold
AlienHostRichardGold
ValidusWrecks
ValidusWreckingBall
NotOnu
ReallyisOnu
NotCdf
SunaOOCOnu
HolyCowMrSmith
GlobalModOnu
AdminOnu
CboxModOnu
SlaptasitcOnu

Suzuri

Plot boards

Post by Suzuri » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:58 am

While what you are saying makes sense in general, I feel that I haven't managed to get myself across well enough.

If I ('I' as in 'hypothetical S-ranked character') want to have a short, meaningful plot, why should I not get points for it? Let's say I came across my old sensei and we fight. This has a lot of potential for character development, and it makes no sense to spread it over ten threads, does it? Short and sweet. Yet, if the sensei is about my power level/stronger, it will still be incredibly dangerous. Compare this with a Genin sparring their old Academy teacher. There is still character development, there is still a fight, but this could count as a plot board while the previous one would not. Why so?

While you describe the island exploration as an overarching plot, I feel that is still cohesive enough that, if a single person was to take it as an S-rank mission, it could count as a plot board.

Far from me the thought of making it easier to break into secret villages and do any large-scale stuff like that. I believe that, in that case, the thread limit is a very good idea. However, the danger level of a thread and its impact on the word do not need to be so strongly correlated. It's easy to imagine plots that could be S-rank in terms of danger, and full of character development, yet affected little/none besides the character. Why should threads like that not qualify as plot boards?
Quote:
'individual plot boards should be relatively minor because genin don't live very exciting lives for the most part'
First of all, not all D-rank characters are genin.

Secondly, and more importantly, I believe the shonen perspective of 'to make it more tense, let's make things more powerful and glowy! therefore weak=uninteresting!' is WRONG. Power level doesn't matter in making things exciting. If I'm fighting someone twice as strong as me, I will feel just as cornered whether I am a Genin or a Kage. In other words, one's relative power level (relative to the challenge at hand) is more important for a story than the absolute power level. Think of books in which either no people, or very few people die, and which are nevertheless incredibly tense stories (eg. Lord of the flies). Excitement, tension, challenge in a story are not counted in the number of explosions or bodies involved. You are right in that genin are supposed to be sent on less dangerous missions. However, people are here to write, so I assume there could be some 'welp, my village underestimated this'. Writing = character + environment + story. For a story, you need challenges. A Genin/D-rank could set themselves a goal that is as important/dangerous to them as entering a secret village would be for an S-rank missing-nin.

Regarding your reply for maximum stat limits: I was not aware that jutsu trainings could be submitted for plot boards. Nevertheless, I believe that, if the writing is mechanical (just doing the minimum to train jutsu, little challenge or character development, little effort on the writing side) then the heavy penalties during grading would make it an impractical way to get stats. And if it's writing that captures, full of challenges that the character has to overcome in order to develop further? First of all, there will be an inbuilt limit to how many jutsu trainings you can add to that sort of good story. Secondly, in that case, I believe that the writer has worked hard, and maybe deserves the stats?

I seem to recall that you frown on people complaining without offering suggestions. Here is mine.

I believe that 'impact on the world', 'danger level' and 'character development' should still all be factors involved in grading a plot board. The thread limit makes sense only in the light of 'impact on the world', and it should stay, but I believe it should be separate from plot boards themselves. In other words: by all means tell people how much you expect them to work to make a change in the world, but also allow them to do low-impact/high danger/high character development stuff for plots. Stat limits still make no sense to me.

Kabu

Plot boards

Post by Kabu » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:01 am

Quote:
If I ('I' as in 'hypothetical S-ranked character') want to have a short, meaningful plot, why should I not get points for it? Let's say I came across my old sensei and we fight. This has a lot of potential for character development, and it makes no sense to spread it over ten threads, does it? Short and sweet.
S-Ranks can still do single thread D rank plot boards
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Nakano Kiyomi - #8E47AD], Nakano Ayaka - #0C1C8C
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Karagata yamada - #CE1126, Makura Ayame - #7251BC
Kabu's Test Thread

Suzuri

Plot boards

Post by Suzuri » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:08 am

Definition: 'D-rank Plot Boards are relatively simple, from doing topics to collect low level companions, completing menial tasks, or training a series of jutsu for a style. They are typically 1 to 3 topics in length'

I honestly wouldn't call a (hypothetical) life-and-death battle 'menial'.

Ace Trainer

Plot boards

Post by Ace Trainer » Wed May 04, 2016 7:52 pm

This topic is complete
Mistaki ShioShiimu KozanGekko IndraShoshiki HeiyaHizashi Ikinari
Kirigakure No Sato
Kemurigakure no Sato

Taishou of Iron Country
Kirigakure No Sato
Genin
Experiment 81 v2
Sunagakure No Sato
Genin
The Soul Host
Iwagakure No Sato
Special Jounin
The Tungsten Princess
Sunagakure No Sato
Jounin
The Revolutionary
Past CharactersShow
[Kenketi Tenteki :: Kumogakure No Sato – Special Jounin]
[Setsuya Inka :: Sunagakure No Sato – The Soul Host – Special Jounin]
[Kaikyo Kohon :: Kirigakure No Sato – Jounin]
[Shinwa Basuta no Suihouheki Yasahii :: Kirigakure No Sato – Mizukage :: Spirit of Capricorn, Topenga]
[Futokutei Hitoare :: Konohagakure No Sato – Pestilence (Four Horsemen) – Jounin]
[Aisu Koiji :: Kirigakure No Sato – Jounin]
[Shitagane Sakki :: Kumogakure No Sato – Genin]
[Batsu Betsuni :: Iwagakure No SatoJounin A Rank Missing Ninja]
[Futokutei Yasunari :: Konohagakure No Sato – Genin]
ChatangoShow
HonchkrOnu
ArticOnu
RichardUnknown
RichardGreen
RichardRed
RichardBlack
RichardGold