Adopt a Newb program

Ivory Peacock

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ivory Peacock » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:17 am

Well I had an idea. I got it from a Rp website I was on. They had a program where new people to the site could sign up to have a member guide them around the place and help them get situated. The Mentees could run character/technique ideas by their Mentors and see if it correlated with the rules and standards. This program helped cut down on the people that joined the website, got lost in the rules and character creation process, and just dropped the place. The program lasted for five weeks and when the Mentee lasted for the entire duration both them and their Mentors got incentives for participating. I think we should do the same thing or something similar, because I get kinda sad when I see someone come here, get so excited about participating, make a character with tons (or even a few) of errors and just drop out. I would like to know everyone's opinions on this idea.

The Fractured Child
Wu Shen
B-Rank MN: Suna
[#563c5c]
76/76
D: 0 C: 0 B: 0 A: 0 S: 0
[Organization]
[Xue] | [Lan] | [Chi] | [Zi][/center]
Old CharactersShow
, 1
NameRankVillageRe-Vamp?
Kisōsha, SeikatsuGeninSunagakureYeah
Genkouyoushi KiyosumiJouninIwagakureProbs not (Pending Genkouyoushi clan info)
Inactive/Dead CharactersShow
(Inactive) Shoshiki Gisei :: D-Rank MN, Iwa

Checkmate

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Checkmate » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:27 am

+1

FluffyGinja
User flair: Former Suna OOC

Adopt a Newb program

Post by FluffyGinja » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:18 am

To be fair, everyone is the newbies mentors. Newbies are kind of mentored by chatbox and mods and etc. Not in a personal sense but that doesn't mean that newbies don't look for certain mods for their ideas.

This system would just be another layer the mods or worse yet, the apprentices would have to worry about. Not to mention, what if there are way more newbies than apprentices? It would get rather... hectic for that one unlucky person. Or more than mods.

Do I like when new people drop? No. But that isn't entirely our fault. We give them options to work things out. Every person can ask literally anyone about anything and still get some sort of answer. I just feel like a literal program for this would just be another system that has to be worried about, when a great deal of people already have stuff on their plate.
Hitoke, Ibuku - Genin - Konohagakure No Sato - #00A5DB
Ogata Amiya - B Rank - Iwagakure No Sato - slategrey

Jinan B

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Jinan B » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:30 am

So I'd agree with Gin, but then I realized that San said members and not mods, if we could have this on like a volunteer kinda basis, and not a "Mods, this is your job now" basis. Then I'm all for it, I would even volunteer.

I mean, it doesn't really have to be a system, just when someone joins. Say after (s)he posts an introduction thread, someone just goes, I'll help you with anything, do you have Skype, and just volunteers like that (presuming that this is a trustworthy member that is, but most all the members know more than noobs so it'd be an improvement nonetheless.)
Characters
NameRankVillageOrgColour
Karagata, Kinsue
Jounin
Kirigakure
HHD

Mediumseagreen
Kenitsuna, Ko’ichi
Genin
Iwagakure
None

Lightsteelblue
Test Thread Saigen Census V2

Ivory Peacock

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ivory Peacock » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:57 am

The whole idea of the program is that someone not only helps a newer person out, but they also get rewarded for doing a good deed. For example: the group I was with was a Percy Jackson rp group. One of the rewards for helping someone become a permanent/semi-permanent member was a free meeting with your demi-god's god parent. Maybe ours could be something like 10 free jutsu/equipment/generic points.

And yes, this entire thing would be on a volunteer basis. Any member who wants to help a newbie out would sign up and we would have a tracker for the Mentors and their newbies. When the newbie lasts a certain amount of time both get a reward. The newbie gets a lil somethin' somethin' as a new person and the Mentor gets something for a job well done. Almost like a paycheck.

Plus, Mods don't have to manage this on their own. I would be completely willing to take up setting up and managing this system myself. I am on nearly everyday religiously so I will have no problem. I just want this to be a thing so our site can grow a little more.

The Fractured Child
Wu Shen
[#563c5c]
76/76
[Organization]
Old CharactersShow
, 1
NameRankVillageRe-Vamp?

Nick

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:08 am

Isn't an ivory peacock just a pigeon
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Ivory Peacock

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ivory Peacock » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:12 am

NO!!! IT IS AN ALBINO PEACOCK YOU UNEDUCTATED BAGEL-MUFFIN!!!!

The Fractured Child
Wu Shen
[#563c5c]
76/76
[Organization]
Old CharactersShow
, 1
NameRankVillageRe-Vamp?

Envy

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Envy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:15 pm

I'm in two minds of this.

1. Sure it doesn't hurt and some people want to be more involved without going through to being an apprentice

2. People should be able to go to anyone for help and while I feel like the cbox can be a bit daunting at first most of the people there are there to help. Further to that point a member thinking they are doing the right thing and trying to help may be spreading outdated or just wrong information.

I mean this could go a bit further into bringing something back similar to our valued member tag where vetted people can go ahead and take advantage of this.
http://www.tickld.com/cdn_image_thing/659797.gif
CharactersShow
Characters
Yamanaka Inori KonohagakureSp JouninTraining Thread
Enkouton Kazuo Iwagakure Genin Training Thread

FluffyGinja

Adopt a Newb program

Post by FluffyGinja » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Then comes another aspect. Yes, members can help other members by why does there have to be a system for it? Or rewards? There doesn't exactly need to be either of them. I decided to help people before I was a mod just because I wanted to help them.

You get people that will end up helping just to be rewarded and that is entirely more than just greed. You also get people who want to help, but end up knowing nothing at all and spreading misinformation. Or just end up being lazy and passing their mentee off to the rules where the answer should be.

It just seems all unnecessary.

Checkmate

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Checkmate » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:36 pm

Yeah, but if they don't know enough to do it, they wouldn't be allowed to. Like Jinan said we could have a simple vetting system.

Also, if the mentor sucks at mentoring/is lazy, the person can just say they want a new mentor or do what they do now and ask around.

The thing is, the box cannot be vetted. People give conflicting answers ALL THE TIME. This would be a chance for us to know that the person they go to knows what they're talking about.

And of course, if the mentor doesn't know, they can get the answer or ask a mod/etc.

The way I see it, there's no reason not to, and having it could be a good thing. Especially if the mods don't have more work.

Davak

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Davak » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:54 pm

As a pretty new person to this forum, I just want to say that while I do think the rules are pretty easy to understand, if you read through it a couple of times. Having someone to run your ideas through would be pretty awesome.

Maybe not as complicated as a system, but just a tagged thread to openly ask all sorts of questions and a group of people to supervise it. You could send a link to it everytime someone shows up in the intro section, it wouldn't be as intimidating to ask something as a new person like in the chat thread, and it wont make the drama of having a graded or mod supervised system.

Checkmate

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Checkmate » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:23 pm

There's another good idea. I'd just be afraid people wouldn't check it, kind of like the customs section.

FluffyGinja

Adopt a Newb program

Post by FluffyGinja » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:29 pm

That is why we don't have the customs sections. I just don't think there needs to be a system or rewards for just wanting to help someone.

Godzilla

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Godzilla » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:00 pm

Also as a relative newb here, I must say this. I was really surprised to see how many people will deal with my stupid questions, answer me stuff, link me stuff and go out of their way to help me. The rules are easy to understand, yes, for someone who's been into RP-ing a while. There are certain things that you want confirmation on because you're not entirely sure you got them. But after a while, I kinda do get uncomfortable thinking I'm annoying these people, they have lives, and I feel bad asking all the time.

Ivory Peacock

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ivory Peacock » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:51 pm

The rewards, like I said, are for doing a good job in guiding a new person within our system and for helping them integrate. The new person also gets something, as a welcoming gift. I mean I hate to say it, but I believe that there are some people out there who don't want to help just because, but an incentive might get them motivated. Let's be honest, a lot of us have things going on. Be it our lives or an rp we don't really want to take time away from without cause. Points added to a character might spurn us all to do the small task of showing someone the ropes.

And now I am speaking from when I was new to this website and from my experience now: gaining points takes a while. Especially when you're anxious to make your character how you envision them being, and when you have to wait for those who have other things going on in their lives to reply to your rp. An extra few points could go a long way for someone who is just starting off or for someone who has a character they want to get to a certain point, that just needs a few more points to get there.

The Fractured Child
Wu Shen
[#563c5c]
76/76
[Organization]
Old CharactersShow
, 1
NameRankVillageRe-Vamp?

FluffyGinja

Adopt a Newb program

Post by FluffyGinja » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:02 pm

I wouldn't want people who are only doing it for the incentive to help someone. Regardless if they can help them or not. And yes, gaining points does take a while but that is part of it. The incentive for helping someone should be that you helped them. Not that you get something out of it.

People are always going to be busy, have lives, this won't change that fact. We tell new people constantly to ask questions all the time. To never feel bad for asking questions. Even if they do, they'd feel the same for that one person, even worse. You want your character the way you want them so make them that way. If you want them to be a certain thing early, expect to work extra for it.

So, no... Incentives shouldn't be what you give people for helping others. If someone wants to help someone, they will do it. Incentive will just make more people want to help more people than they can handle just for way too many points. I'm not saying you can't do this on your own, basically like Saigen Census, it would be a thing you made and managed. But I don't think that the forum would pay new members and people just helping out when it isn't a system on the forum.

Again, they can just ask things in box. Saigen doesn't need a big and little program. Even if it is controlled, what is to really stop someone from just... taking all the noobs? Let no one else help? The person who runs it sure, but they can still basically do it, regardless of points they get or just bitch and complain until they get their way.

Checkmate

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Checkmate » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:16 pm

So remove the incentive and leave the vetting process.

Ace Trainer

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ace Trainer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:38 pm

Quote:
You also get people who want to help, but end up knowing nothing at all and spreading misinformation.
This.

No offense to y'all, but the members here, and even the apprentices, really even some of the mods, have a REALLY BAD, habit of guessing at rules, but stating it factually instead of clarifying they arent entirely sure.

Having the group guidance the cbox offers negates that...somewhat...because you have multiple opinions in place that can make it clear they dont know the official rule. Private mentoring will just exacerbate that issue.

Besides, people say all the time "Onu I hate to bothee you" despite how much I reinforce to you guys that I'm always available and will handle stuff as I make time. And you guys know me, I imagine a lot of new members will be super cautious about annoying someone specifically all the time.

5 weeks is a super long time imo, for the record.

Also, if i'm vetting someone to see how well they know ghe rules and stuff, why not just make them a mod? If they arent interested in being a mod, or dont have time, why should they do this?

Not shooting it down. But those are hurdles you need to tackle.
Mistaki ShioShiimu KozanGekko IndraShoshiki HeiyaHizashi Ikinari
Kirigakure No Sato
Kemurigakure no Sato

Taishou of Iron Country
Kirigakure No Sato
Genin
Experiment 81 v2
Sunagakure No Sato
Genin
The Soul Host
Iwagakure No Sato
Special Jounin
The Tungsten Princess
Sunagakure No Sato
Jounin
The Revolutionary
Past CharactersShow
[Kenketi Tenteki :: Kumogakure No Sato – Special Jounin]
[Setsuya Inka :: Sunagakure No Sato – The Soul Host – Special Jounin]
[Kaikyo Kohon :: Kirigakure No Sato – Jounin]
[Shinwa Basuta no Suihouheki Yasahii :: Kirigakure No Sato – Mizukage :: Spirit of Capricorn, Topenga]
[Futokutei Hitoare :: Konohagakure No Sato – Pestilence (Four Horsemen) – Jounin]
[Aisu Koiji :: Kirigakure No Sato – Jounin]
[Shitagane Sakki :: Kumogakure No Sato – Genin]
[Batsu Betsuni :: Iwagakure No SatoJounin A Rank Missing Ninja]
[Futokutei Yasunari :: Konohagakure No Sato – Genin]
ChatangoShow
HonchkrOnu
ArticOnu
RichardUnknown
RichardGreen
RichardRed
RichardBlack
RichardGold
AlienHostRichardGold
ValidusWrecks
ValidusWreckingBall
NotOnu
ReallyisOnu
NotCdf
SunaOOCOnu
HolyCowMrSmith
GlobalModOnu
AdminOnu
CboxModOnu
SlaptasitcOnu

Ivory Peacock

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ivory Peacock » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:04 am

There is something to stop someone from taking all the newbies, every volunteer is restricted to one person. No one can have more than that at a time.

And this is a volunteer thing, not everyone has to participate, only those that want to help. And we don't have to give out rewards if that is your largest problem with it, Ginja. It is not necessary, just a little added for those who participate.

And if someone is misinformed it can be addressed by someone else during the registration process, but this system is to try and circumvent that. I honestly hope no one will just guess at a rule they are unsure of instead of asking a mod or looking.

This program is about making the character creation process easy for the creator as well as the mods checking it. It allows the major problems to be worked out by the mentor and fixed so that the character is able to pass registration. It also allows for the person to build a relationship with a veteran member of the website so they can actually feel comfortable asking questions. I know I was terrified to ask anyone questions when I was new and I still feel a bit uncomfortable doing it now. I am hoping that this system can help with that.

And this program doesn't need to last for 5 weeks. That was just the other website's length for it.

The Fractured Child
Wu Shen
[#563c5c]
76/76
[Organization]
Old CharactersShow
, 1
NameRankVillageRe-Vamp?

Ace Trainer

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ace Trainer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:11 am

Quote:
I honestly hope no one will just guess at a rule they are unsure of instead of asking a mod or looking.
That literally happens every day, lmao

And again,
Quote:
Also, if i'm vetting someone to see how well they know the rules and stuff, why not just make them a mod? If they aren't interested in being a mod, or dont have time, why should they do this?
Kirigakure No Sato
Kemurigakure no Sato

Taishou of Iron Country
Kirigakure No Sato
Genin
Experiment 81 v2
Sunagakure No Sato
Genin
The Soul Host
Iwagakure No Sato
Special Jounin
The Tungsten Princess
Sunagakure No Sato
Jounin
The Revolutionary
Past CharactersShow
[Shinwa Basuta no Suihouheki Yasahii :: Kirigakure No Sato – Mizukage :: Spirit of Capricorn, Topenga]
[Futokutei Hitoare :: Konohagakure No Sato – Pestilence (Four Horsemen) – Jounin]
ChatangoShow
HonchkrOnu
ArticOnu
RichardUnknown
RichardGreen
RichardRed
RichardBlack
RichardGold
AlienHostRichardGold
ValidusWrecks
ValidusWreckingBall
NotOnu
ReallyisOnu
NotCdf
SunaOOCOnu
HolyCowMrSmith
GlobalModOnu
AdminOnu
CboxModOnu
SlaptasitcOnu

FluffyGinja

Adopt a Newb program

Post by FluffyGinja » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:19 am

This is starting to remind me of the valued member system, which was just a glorified version of favouritism in my eyes and did the same thing this did basiacally but with no reward and no modship. That is why it was gotten rid of. It was unnecessary.

Everyone forever will always be misinformed in one way or another but will refuse to admit it and just guess. It happens all the time like Onu said.

Newbies don't need to build relationships with one veteran member and then only that member. Chatbox is there to build relationships with multiple people at the same time. If someone feels uncomfortable asking questions, that is their issues and they need to fix it. They will always feel uncomfortable with it, unless they choose to fix it. Or they can just PM someone, simple as that.

Onu makes another solid point of why not just be a mod if they are so knowledgeable?

This would in no way make character creation process for mods easier. Because people can be wrong... constantly. Especially with custom jutsu. It happens all the time, constantly, to mods and members alike.

Davak

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Davak » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:24 am

Just to bring it up again, a tagged thread in the creation or the intro section would completely fix this without much of a hassle. There would need to be no need for a system, you could link it when replying to newbies in the intro section, there's no reward and no one is forced to do it, and its no where near as intimidating as the cbox.

And if someone makes a mistake its there and can be checked by someone else ...

I don't see any problem with this, most forums have this and it works...

Ace Trainer

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ace Trainer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:08 am

To clarify, I'm not necessarily says theres anything -wrong- with the idea. It just strikes me as unnecessary because it doesn't achieve anything unique to the moderating process. I know for a fact there are multiple members who meet a mod their first time on the cbox and will defer back to that mod for any questions they have during their creation system, so this is more or less already in effect, just not regulated.

I guess I just don't see the point
Kirigakure No Sato
Kemurigakure no Sato

Taishou of Iron Country
Kirigakure No Sato
Genin
Experiment 81 v2
Sunagakure No Sato
Genin
The Soul Host
Iwagakure No Sato
Special Jounin
The Tungsten Princess
Sunagakure No Sato
Jounin
The Revolutionary
Past CharactersShow
ChatangoShow
HonchkrOnu
ArticOnu
RichardUnknown
RichardGreen
RichardRed
RichardBlack
RichardGold
AlienHostRichardGold
ValidusWrecks
ValidusWreckingBall
NotOnu
ReallyisOnu
NotCdf
SunaOOCOnu
HolyCowMrSmith
GlobalModOnu
AdminOnu
CboxModOnu
SlaptasitcOnu

Sia
User flair: I am made to protect and destroy.

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Sia » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:00 pm

Davak:
Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:24 pm
Just to bring it up again, a tagged thread in the creation or the intro section would completely fix this without much of a hassle. There would need to be no need for a system, you could link it when replying to newbies in the intro section, there's no reward and no one is forced to do it, and its no where near as intimidating as the cbox.

And if someone makes a mistake its there and can be checked by someone else ...

I don't see any problem with this, most forums have this and it works...
That is literally 1/2 of this board's purpose: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Naruto_Saigen_ ... m/1712603/
A Compilation of Things to Keep in Mind on NSRPShow
Onu:
And then he tried to bang me and I asked if we could just cuddle so he knows I’m still upset about it
Kao:
Do you have one of him looking at daddy angrily
Kao:
boo fucking hoo
Onu:
validusrex#1137 — Today at 12:28 AM
25% American is still 100% FREE BABY LETS FUCKING GO
This Delightful Exchange:
Sinpoder: Where can I find a mentor?
Sinpoder: or is that Sia?
Nick: Sia is more of a palpatine than a mentor
Valkier:
Sia's the opposite, they know the system better than any of us but then ignores it to try do/allow whatever regardless 😛
Hayate:
Your intention doesn't matter if your action creates pain
Validusrex, Size of 15 Ryo Puppet Boat:
Half a kayak, large enough to fit one person bent-over or crossed-legged.
Siatupid:
There is peace in being trash.
Wright:
calling people pussies, bitches or whatever and threatening to hurt people makes you very much less than a man and much like a young boy
Onu:
You intentionally handicapping yourself is not a reason to change the system.
Onu:
It is not the mods job to build ideas for you, its our job to make them systematically acceptable. If there is a core concept to it that isn't acceptable, there is nothing any mod can say that will magically make it work.
Onu:
"Over half of the questions asked in the box can be answered by reading the rules."
Sia:
"Everything is banned until balanced."
Kabuto:
"Tourneys bring out the worst in people."
Tydie:
And part of why I scooped him is cus I wanted to make him a Toukai and people told me they thought it was a bad idea :/
so now Ryoga is a constant reminder to always do what I WANT to do, not what others think I should do
Tydie:
saigen is like the dysfunctional family you choose to be part of
Methtastic:
Crazy how elaborate the system is for a group of people who only finish a fight a tenth of the time after 2 months of arguing over 3 seconds of combat
Varian:
If you want to speed up the process you can just talk to one of the other staff members about it.
Most of them have been around longer than Director and can actually read.
The Best Fucking Chuunin Exam Ever:

Shikon

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Shikon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:04 pm

I am very much for this idea. Not for incentives, not for vetting the system, not for any of that. Really only for one reason. Having someone in your corner.

Whenever you are new to a site, learning a new system and attempting the application process - for a character, or jutsu or whatever have you - unless you are amazing or super lucky and get everything or almost everything right the first time around then you start hitting what i like to call "The creative fly swatter". This swatter is in every RP site that uses a Mod approval system, which is the best system used for these sites and thus comes up often.

What I mean by this is as follows. You are a new member and have great new idea for character, or trying to pull an old character to this new site and tweak things to the system to try to get it approved. Suddenly, you are told, "site y" doesn't allow "x". So you remove x. then "site y" has a rule that if you want "Z", you can't have "W". So you remove W. Oh and "site y" says that "C, B, and H" can't go together, and you can't have "B" AND "H" is you have "J". You remove C and J. "Site y" says "F" is copyrighted to Clan Blergia. You remove F. and so on, Over the entire process you start changing and removing things and sooner or later your ending with something you don't recognize anymore and are not passionate about RPing at all. You feel defeated by this "Site Y" and during the entire thing these "Mods" are your God, exacting judgement and justice upon you.

Even with the most gracious and patient of Mods - the ones that take their time and go through it issue by issue - this new member only sees them-self and an opposing team. They feel they are against the entire Mod staff and they are alone in the fight. They do not have anyone in their corner, no one to help fight FOR them and WITH them for their passion and their ideas. The Mods are there to make things fair, not necessarily to make things fun. Unfortunately, in the process of making these fair decrees, that creative spark, the muse that people have for their ideas, gets extinguished. This is more powerful for brand new members, the ones that are not used to going into the application boxing ring and pulling the maneuvers to win a round, or come out to the end of the fight still standing, let alone win the match.

What I have also seen in this site ( Yes I am going to be calling the Staff out here, take the criticism or not w/e ) is that the Mods will enter an Application, make a decree of law, and then resign themselves to sitting back waiting for the member - new or seasoned - to simply figure out the fix on their own. "This jutsu can't work, not going to happen". "how do I make it better oh great Mod?", "Haha puny member, it is not my job to help and mentor you. I do not assist you in remolding your idea, your writing passion into a functioning application for you to experience this site and have fun. I merely am dictator of rules. Figure it out yourself puny member. Then come back. If you do not figure it out correctly, we will have this same conversation. So if you cannot do it right, do not come back with this idea at all." <---- Over Dramatization. No Mod has said this, and such a conversation never exactly happened.

(Side Note: The above paragraphs are quite obviously not only my own feelings or thoughts AND NOT STRAIGHT UP FACTS! But also a statement of only the sense of belonging, or the feeling of divisiveness - them against me - that occurs during any application on RP sites. I do not say that the staff does this intentionally, or maliciously, only that this is the emotion and feeling that results from such a system)

So, this mentor program proposed, I see it working best to retain new members to the site ( if that is the primary goal) by giving these new members someone to have in their corner. To be on their side during the application process. By being there fighting FOR and WITH a new member during the first days of the application process, we will be instilling in them a sense of community, that the entire system is not actually "The site & Mods against them alone", but that they have someone, or someones who is there going into the boxing ring with them. This, I think, will be the very best way to keep new members, to stop them feeling over pressured, or that the system is far too daunting and difficult and thus leaving. So I am in favor of this new idea, because our new members new someone fighting with them.

Shikon for President 2016!

Ivory Peacock

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ivory Peacock » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:13 pm

Shikon explained it perfectly.

P.s. I would vote for Shikon over Trump anyday.

The Fractured Child
Wu Shen
[#563c5c]
76/76
[Organization]
Old CharactersShow
, 1
NameRankVillageRe-Vamp?

Envy

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Envy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Shikon:
Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:04 am
I am very much for this idea. Not for incentives, not for vetting the system, not for any of that. Really only for one reason.
Then why not do it?

Lots of people who have struggled or who have had a lot of questions usually get a "yo add me on skype and i'll help". If you don't want a vetted system or any mod monitored system at all then just be a helpful member. There's a big discussion here that boils down to people need help and people want to help, well then just do it.

http://www.tickld.com/cdn_image_thing/659797.gif
CharactersShow
Characters
Yamanaka Inori KonohagakureSp JouninTraining Thread
Enkouton Kazuo Iwagakure Genin Training Thread

Ace Trainer

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ace Trainer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:32 am

Going to be quick because i'm on my phone.

I have always said this, I will always say this, and I stand by this firmly.

What Shikon is asking for is not supposed to happen. Pretty sure Sia has it quoted in her sig. It isnt the mods job to balance your ideas. It isnt the mods job to write your jutsu. It isnt the mods job to make your ideas work.

The job of the mod to to make sure anything entering the system is balanced

With all due respect, those of you who are not mods have no idea how stupidly stressful being a mod on NSRP is. I chalk it up to the fact that our system is designed to covdr PvE and PvP which makes it expansive, but moderating this forum is by far the most difficult moderating job I've ever had. Just acting as the barrier between the registry and the rp.

Expecting mods to balance ideas for you because you cant be assed to learn the system as well is a terrible concept, and is self defeating because if you dont work stuff out for yourself, you'll never learn the system anyways.

If i have time, if im feeling helpful, if i have nothing bettwr to do sure, I'll help someone out. But on a normal day when i'm doing some of the what feels like hundreds of things I have to do on this place, I do not hesitate to say

"This isnt allowed because of x, you need to fix it"
Or even
"I dont have enough informatiom here to evaluate, try again"

So yeah.

Just addressing that. A little more long winded than I had intended.

And again, you've failed to address..
Also, if i'm vetting someone to see how well they know the rules and stuff, why not just make them a mod? If they aren't interested in being a mod, or dont have time, why should they do this?
Kirigakure No Sato
Kemurigakure no Sato

Taishou of Iron Country
Kirigakure No Sato
Genin
Experiment 81 v2
Sunagakure No Sato
Genin
The Soul Host
Iwagakure No Sato
Special Jounin
The Tungsten Princess
Sunagakure No Sato
Jounin
The Revolutionary
Past CharactersShow
ChatangoShow
HonchkrOnu
ArticOnu
RichardUnknown
RichardGreen
RichardRed
RichardBlack
RichardGold
AlienHostRichardGold
ValidusWrecks
ValidusWreckingBall
NotOnu
ReallyisOnu
NotCdf
SunaOOCOnu
HolyCowMrSmith
GlobalModOnu
AdminOnu
CboxModOnu
SlaptasitcOnu

Takumi

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Takumi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:08 am

Ace Trainer:
Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:32 pm
I think you actually addressed this pretty well yourself. I'm not a mod, so I can't speak for them, but if it is stressful, an individual with the requisite knowledge of the rules may want to help, but not in such a high-stress position. Some people may be better suited to helping in a one on one capacity. Furthermore, this could fill a niche that mods don't. The system is complex, and can be overwhelming. Having someone walk through their app can be really helpful, and it shouldn't be the mods when sweeping. Sometimes, it's best to learn by being thrown into it and working it out, but not always, and for new members, they wouldn't know how to tweak things on their own, and may deter some great people from learning the system.

That said, I don't see how we the members can't just create a page in the Member's Section or something with a sign up sheet for volunteer "tutors" of a sort. That way, new members can post in there and someone can help them, or when a new member needs help, people in the cbox can either help them or direct them to the volunteer page. This doesn't need to be a formal thing, and I don't think it needs rewards (although I disagree with the notion that people only helping for rewards is a bad thing, as long as they do a good job).

Jinan B

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Jinan B » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Envy:
There's a big discussion here that boils down to people need help and people want to help, well then just do it.
I'm beginning to not understand why this needs a whole discussion around it, someone just start a "tutor" thread, explain it in post, and maybe ask a Mod to pin it or something

Edit:: @ Takumi's suggestion
Characters
NameRankVillageOrgColour
Karagata, Kinsue
Jounin
Kirigakure
HHD

Mediumseagreen
Kenitsuna, Ko’ichi
Genin
Iwagakure
None

Lightsteelblue

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Taiga » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:58 am

So Onu hit upon some reasons that I'll echo in my sentiments, but here's why I think this is absolutely silly, beyond the fact that this requires members to be just as trained as mods, in which case, why aren't they mods?

When I tell someone something is a no-go it's their job to ask me via pm or the box or someone why, or how they could make it work. This is pretty much how most members operate. TO be honest, while it sounds harsh, I'm not concerned with going out of my way to help a member who can't even ask for help in the box or in their app or via PM's. I'd rather not build dependency on others like we've seen with some members like Oak, etc.

That said the rules are a lot better now and honestly reading them fully through will do most members just as good as a random mentor... if not better given the rampant string of member misinformation we've been seeing lately.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Shikon

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Shikon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:12 am

Quote:
What Shikon is asking for is not supposed to happen. Pretty sure Sia has it quoted in her sig. It isnt the mods job to balance your ideas. It isnt the mods job to write your jutsu. It isnt the mods job to make your ideas work.

I asked for no such thing. No demand like this was made. What I did state was that a Mod approval system is the best system for a site like this, but it causes new members or even seasoned members to feel like they are against the Mod Staff in a strange boxing match. It is a feeling and mindset that occurs in result of the system we have. I was not saying it is a Mods job to balance something for a member that it is the Mods job to write their jutsu, or make ideas work. Your statement that I had "asked for" this is not truthful. I said Mods assisting in this would reduce the problem I described. Not that they have to.

The system NSRP works, and it works well. But it has problems like any system will. I only ask that you recognize and understand that having Mods that do not, or will not, help members in the way talked about above, it WILL result in members feeling attacked, pushed away, and eventually leave. Refusing to accept that idea shows fault in the Mod Staff's accepting responsibility in running a system that could adversely affect members. As the Mod staff, it IS you responsibility to see and think about such issues, even if acting on them does not result because of whatever reason.
Quote:
Expecting mods to balance ideas for you because you cant be assed to learn the system as well is a terrible concept, and is self defeating because if you dont work stuff out for yourself, you'll never learn the system anyways.
All first world countries have an education system with teachers and subject experts for a reason. When the students are learning the material and attempting to apply it, they need someone with knowledge on the subject to assist and instruct them to ensure they understand it correctly. If the student does not get the subject or information correctly, the teachers are there to re-teach and guide them in the learning process. An education system were information is given and the students are expected to read/learn/apply that information by themselves is a bad system. Doing so results in ineffective education.

Our current system here is not like that above. We give the information, expect our students to self educate, and then test them on it. (Tests being the application process) Then the Mods (Teachers) grade these tests and hand them back, saying "fix it". Proper education systems have the teachers (Mods) grade the tests (applications) and then help the students (members) fully understand what they got wrong and why. Then retest when needed.

Having the Mods do this would be extremely time consuming, difficult and stressful. I admit this, and because of this reason I never demanded or asked the Mods to do all this. But these things have to be understood by Mods to know how best they CAN be effective for members, and thus the site, if they wish to be and if we wish for the site to be as large and productive as possible.

What is really being proposed here, is a teachers assistant program. (Not Mod assistant though, let that be clear). Mod assistants are training to be Mods, training to be teachers. The proposed idea here is having students (Members) from a higher grade entering the lower grade classes to help assist the new students. Having the Seniors, help out the Freshmen, because the teachers can't be expected to do it all. And Assistant Mods are Teachers in Training, not Teacher's assistants.

I hope that clears some things up.

and lastly...
Quote:
No I did not.
Shikon:
I am very much for this idea. Not for incentives, not for vetting the system, not for any of that. Really only for one reason. Having someone in your corner.
I distinctly stated I am not for a vetting system in this idea.

Jinan B

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Jinan B » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:35 am

ok...
Quote:
I said Mods assisting in this would reduce the problem I described. Not that they have to.
Is that not what asking for something is? When you ask someone to do something, they still don't have to do it. I don't understand why this is even enough of a point to matter, based on how, regardless of how you put it, you obviously want the change.

Your whole point about the balance thing:

Now what I'm picking up you want, is some mod to go "This is wrong, do it like so.." but this isn't maths, with a set method to a set solution. If mods start going about prescribing solutions that they think of, that: A, the users don't like, and B: may not even end at the best thing. What's the point there.

The idea is for users to make there jutsu how they want it, or as close to that as possible. The mods are there to ensure that what the users want is acceptable. And that doesn't mean that you can't ask a mod for help, like you said. ALL the mods are (or should be) easily approachable for help on the box, or Skype, or PMs or whatever you want.

At the same time, you're cultivating a bad mindset with your boxing analogy, You're the only person I've actually seen that agrees with that, and I can only imagine it being because you're fighting the mods. We don't fight users, we don't have time for that. We try to help them, we point out what isn't correct in their app, and we leave ourselves open to questions. The reason we don't figure everything out in the app is A: When you're pointing out small questions you expect them to know what to do, and B: It's a lot easier to do that one on one, when you're sweeping All of the apps, you don't have time to figure out solutions for all of the problems.

No mod wants you to fight against them, and no mod is trying to make some form of weird boxing match. It's just users need to understand that they can easily ask what questions they need, and not believe that they're just not being helped because mods aren't helpful.
Characters
NameRankVillageOrgColour
Karagata, Kinsue
Jounin
Kirigakure
HHD

Mediumseagreen
Kenitsuna, Ko’ichi
Genin
Iwagakure
None

Lightsteelblue

Ace Trainer

Adopt a Newb program

Post by Ace Trainer » Wed May 04, 2016 7:52 pm

This topic is complete
Kirigakure No Sato
Kemurigakure no Sato

Taishou of Iron Country
Kirigakure No Sato
Genin
Experiment 81 v2
Sunagakure No Sato
Genin
The Soul Host
Iwagakure No Sato
Special Jounin
The Tungsten Princess
Sunagakure No Sato
Jounin
The Revolutionary
Past CharactersShow
ChatangoShow
HonchkrOnu
ArticOnu
RichardUnknown
RichardGreen
RichardRed
RichardBlack
RichardGold