World Populations

Trucro

World Populations

Post by Trucro » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:46 pm

So, I've been thinking about this for a while, and I may have even brought it up before, but I don't think I ever saw it through. The lore/information provided about countries in the discussion tab are pretty off from what I would expect from each country in a real life scenario. Just a few examples to begin with: Tea Country has a population of only 4,000; Blizzard Country only has 1,000 people; Rice Country has a population of 400 people only!

This is really off, I believe for several reasons. The main reasons are:

1. Size

The size of the continent/world appears to be quite large. The range of climates go from what would be at least southern scandinavia to Lybia, or even further south. That would make the continent at a minimum, the size of Europe itself (3.931 million square miles) and probably larger. That would make rice country probably close to the size of Belgium, or maybe the Netherlands. To have only 400 people living in that area would be a very sparse population, especially for a country claiming to have as much commercial value as Rice Country supposedly has.

2. Time Period

Sure, it's a long time ago; fewer people lived in the world during the time period we are supposedly in. If I remember correctly, the world is currently at year 1215-ish. Now, these numbers don't seem to be real world equivalents, due to the difference in the history of our worlds. Nevertheless, the technology available suggests middle ages. If that is the case, then populations are way off from real populations.

Assuming proper size based on shift in climate, Fire Country appears similar in size to modern day France. During the middle ages, France had a population of 10-20 million people (since the middle ages were so long, there's a decent variance). Fire Country doesn't specifically say its population, but my guess is that if Rice Country is 400, Fire Country isn't more than a few hundred thousand. That is a crazy small population.

For continuing reference, Italy had a population of about 10 million around 1300, and England close to 7 million at the same time.

All of Europe, according to Wikapedia, had a population of about 56 million in 1000, rising to nearly 80 million in 1300.

I think it would make more sense to have the world more closely match the numbers of the equivalent time period.

3. Ninja Families/Relativity

In order to support so many large ninja clans (many have as many as 50 families within one clan!) the populations of at least the main countries would have to be relatively large. Sure, army sizes are likely smaller if ninjas were the only soldiers. BUT other lore, such as the civil war in Kumo, suggests that there are levies to be raised as well. Realistically, the populations are probably pretty sizable.

Why does this matter? Maybe it's only me, but I find large populations to be more fun. Realism is for sure great, and that's a good reason to fix the populations. But personally, I like it when stakes are higher. Massive sprawling cities lead to unique cultures; wide ranging tribes make way for larger disputes; bustling ports allow for professional pirates! Bigger isn't always better; but to a point, it makes things more interesting.

Furthermore, there's a continuity benefit. It's much easier to have assasinate the leader of a village in Rice Country when the population is 1 million (who would miss him?) than when the population is 400, and half the country lives in this village. This would allow for more opportunities for missions (although my guess is the populations maybe weren't stopping this before; this were just discontinuous).

Anyway, that's my shtick. I'd be willing to help fix these problems if people decided that they wanted to. But there may have been a reason for such low populations that I am missing. If so, please let me know.

Also, let me know if this is the wrong place to post this... it seemed right to me at the time.
CharactersShow

Akiro Jouchaku; Jounin; Kirigakure No Sato #007AA5

Ryuu Genkouyoushi; Jounin; Iwagakure No Sato

Mako Notaramu; Jounin; Sunagakure No Sato

Inozu Yamanaka A-Rank; Missing Nin #AF2626

Director
Hokage
Hokage
User flair: If you read this, you're gay.

World Populations

Post by Director » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:46 am

After Nafan discussed this with the mod team, we've decided on a world population, and based on the sizes of the individual countries as well as resources, habitability, and etc. he is distributing populations based on that. Thanks for your suggestion Acro.
Character: Awai, Fanho | Rank: Hokage | Village: Konoha | Color Code: [b][color=#682860]
Character: Konshi, Yuichi | Rank: Jounin | Village: Kumogakure | Color Code: [b][color=#0051BA]

Talto95

World Populations

Post by Talto95 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:50 am

Dope

jaiOtaku

World Populations

Post by jaiOtaku » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:09 am

very cool suggestion
would be very dope
Check out my anime webshop for dope Naruto hoodies and Naruto hats :)

Legacy
User flair: Conflict begets Growth

World Populations

Post by Legacy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:45 pm

I agree
ACTIVE CHARACTERShow

Trucro

World Populations

Post by Trucro » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Are there any updates on this? :P
CharactersShow

Akiro Jouchaku; Jounin; Kirigakure No Sato #007AA5

Ryuu Genkouyoushi; Jounin; Iwagakure No Sato

Mako Notaramu; Jounin; Sunagakure No Sato

Inozu Yamanaka A-Rank; Missing Nin #AF2626

CDF

World Populations

Post by CDF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:11 pm

I think we're going to wait on giving a more accurate world population until all the countries are done. At which point world population and some other world info will be divulged
- zenchou
Most intense. Mission. EVER.
[color=#C9B037]Ouji Hito Kazekage[/color] Sunagakure no Sato
Wakatsuki, Zai A-ranked Missing Ninja Kumogakure no Sato

CDF

World Populations

Post by CDF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:11 pm

This topic is complete
- zenchou
Most intense. Mission. EVER.
[color=#C9B037]Ouji Hito Kazekage[/color] Sunagakure no Sato
Wakatsuki, Zai A-ranked Missing Ninja Kumogakure no Sato