Can we only label disciplines?

CDF

Post by CDF » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:51 pm

HOOOOONESTLY.

From what I've gathered, the only reason we have these categorizations is because discipline jutsu have slightly different rules to them. But other than that, having techniques be labeled status/maneuver has no real purpose. It doesn't affect how the jutsu work or how other jutsu work with them.

So can we only make it mandatory to add the label when it's a discipline? Or is there some other benefit to this mandatory sub-classification system that i'm missing?
- zenchou
Most intense. Mission. EVER.
[color=#C9B037]Ouji Hito Kazekage[/color] Sunagakure no Sato
Wakatsuki, Zai A-ranked Missing Ninja Kumogakure no Sato

Kabu

Post by Kabu » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:58 pm

No, because that's confusing. It's much better to just explain the difference between the types.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Nakano Kiyomi - #8E47AD], Nakano Ayaka - #0C1C8C
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Karagata yamada - #CE1126, Makura Ayame - #7251BC
Kabu's Test Thread

CDF

Post by CDF » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:14 pm

How is it more confusing? You keep the classifications but only actually require that disciplines be labelled.

- zenchou

FluffyGinja
User flair: Former Suna OOC

Post by FluffyGinja » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:31 pm

So, I'm going to jump in on here and tell you how I see it.

Essentially, this is how I see the difference between both maneuvers and stances, because you are discussing about essentially lumping to two together, which I feel is not how to do it.

Maneuvers are a one time thing. It is a move of some kind. From as simple as a snap punch to as complicated as throwing a tornado from your bum. Or whatever you like.

Stances are a held mode of fighting, provide a boon of some kind, and can be held, from what I can recall, indefinitely. It is a way of fighting as opposed to a move.

Removing the classification is unnecessary from my perspective, but I want to hear how you feel on this.
Active CharacterShow
Character NameAgeRankVillageCompanion(s)Training/Lonely ThreadSpeech Color Code
Hitoke, Ibuku14GeninKonohagakure No SatoN/AN/A#00A5DB
Ogata Amiya28B RankIwagakure No SatoN/AHow Does A Brick Wall Train?SlateGray
Past CharactersShow
Kyoukan, Kureha [Inactive]30JouninKumogakure No SatoN/AN/A#d67082
Tamamushi, Shishi [Inactive]16ChuuninIwagakure No SatoN/AN/A#00b27a
Nara, Shikatsu [Inactive]26JouninKonohagakure No SatoN/AN/A#7251BC
Shirahama, Sueatsu [NPC]36KazekageSunagakure No SatoN/AN/A#f96b07
Jouchaku Chiane [Inactive]24Jounin (Bannin)Kirigakure No SatoN/ACome on Jouki, I'm boredLightCyan

CDF

Post by CDF » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:44 pm

No i get that, it's not about removing the classification system. You can keep it, it's about not requiring that people label each jtusu as maneuver or status and only have to label disciplines.

We shouldn't need reasons to lower the amount of stuff people are required to include in their app. We need reasons to add them, and as i see it, there's no reason for labelling jutsu status/maneuver/discipline, though people tell me it's necessary for discipline.
- zenchou

FluffyGinja
User flair: Former Suna OOC

Post by FluffyGinja » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:47 pm

I feel like it is necessary for all of them. The labeling is just a reminder on what you are using, because stances probably don't cost as much stamina/chakra as maneuvers do. At least, how I see it, the labels are just to be sure what you have there and give them some structure.

From my view, I feel like they should stay, but I ain't the most final arbiter and am open to discussion.
Active CharacterShow
Hitoke, Ibuku14GeninKonohagakure No SatoN/AN/A#00A5DB
Ogata Amiya28B RankIwagakure No SatoN/AHow Does A Brick Wall Train?SlateGray
Past CharactersShow
Kyoukan, Kureha [Inactive]30JouninKumogakure No SatoN/AN/A#d67082
Tamamushi, Shishi [Inactive]16ChuuninIwagakure No SatoN/AN/A#00b27a
Nara, Shikatsu [Inactive]26JouninKonohagakure No SatoN/AN/A#7251BC
Shirahama, Sueatsu [NPC]36KazekageSunagakure No SatoN/AN/A#f96b07
Jouchaku Chiane [Inactive]24Jounin (Bannin)Kirigakure No SatoN/ACome on Jouki, I'm boredLightCyan

CDF

Post by CDF » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:14 am

So here's the way I see it:

Cons of having the labels:

It forces people to really have to pay attention to this classification system. On a site with 100000 systems, we're making people learn yet another one.
It gives mods yet another thing to have to check and correct.

Pros of having the labels:

It makes it like a millisecond quicker to know that one jutsu is inherently a little less chakra-heavy than others, which you would really already know from the description of the jutsu itself.

It just seems very unnecessary to me and only a negative. I think we should be making a serious effort to streamline as much as possible, anywhere we can remove words/systems/rules without negatively affecting the forum.
- zenchou

WrightJustice

Post by WrightJustice » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 pm

As far as I was aware it was just part of the original new taijutu system no-one liked so we changed to the current tai concs we have now but kept the flavour of the 3 differences.
I didn't think there was a point to labelling, heck some of my tais got labels missing and its only with my kiri that it seems to have really caught on by all the mods and I had to label all my tais.

I guess if disciplines really need the label because of how they work then I suppose it makes sense to label those but I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that either.

CDF

Post by CDF » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:30 pm

bump
- zenchou

Director
Hokage
Hokage
User flair: If you read this, you're gay.

Post by Director » Mon May 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Stances are contortions and manipulations of the body to either be able to easily transition between complex maneuvers, walk slowly, or orient your body in a way to be able to maintain a near perfect 360 degree awareness. This differentiation between the three is so that way we can immediately identify and tell what its gonna be doing or who its effecting. Maneuvers are direct actions affecting another, while disciplines are always active with a pre-requisite. Its just an easier way of telling how it affects what. Yes it makes a more complicated Tai system with more of a learning curve, but makes them more easily identifiable, as well as who they effect compared to the old system in which was more open ended.

Not to mention this makes heavenly tai much easier to grade as I know who its geared towards/aimed for, because its easier to tell the difference between heavenly breath armor and heavenly breath blast. I know exactly the difference. Its not so much the mod work that the labeling is for (however it does help), its more so fighting you can easily identify and read the jutsu they're using to understand it easier. Me and Ginja have decided to keep the tai labels the same. We appreciate the input and thought however.
Character: Awai, Fanho | Rank: Hokage | Village: Konoha | Color Code: [b][color=#682860]
Character: Konshi, Yuichi | Rank: Jounin | Village: Kumogakure | Color Code: [b][color=#0051BA]

CDF

Post by CDF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:58 pm

This topic is complete
- zenchou

Return to “Finished”