I'll have the Spider Roll...

An international hub and place of refuge for any who visit. Steam Country is home to Amegakure, a bustling city that is arguably the closest thing in the world to the size of any of the great Shinobi villages. Shinobi activities are strictly forbidden within Steam Country, but shinobi are welcome to conduct personal business here.
TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:42 pm

"Hoowee, my feet are killing me!" Aiya's voice rang out over the hustle and bustle of the crowded bazaar as she left the area, a couple of small bags draped over her arms. She loved festivals like this... The last one she had gone to was for the Chuunin Exams, of which she had been a participant. One after another, the challenging genin of the other shinobi villages stepped into the ring against her, and one after another she emerged victorious. But here, in this land of peace, she didn't have to worry about any of that. Of course, she was always armed and ready, her Fuuinjutsu on her back containing a litany of weaponry for any situation, but so far she hadn't even wanted to train... let alone fight.

No, for this festival, she got to be a normal-ish girl, and do what normal-ish girls got to do: shop.

But now, all that walking and standing around waiting for her turn at the stalls had made her tired and hungry. Surely this place had a good sushi restaurant or something, right? And sure enough, asking around a little, the black haired chuunin was able to locate a nice looking hole in the wall place, with a dark atmosphere and a surprisingly quiet dining experience within. It was a true contrast to the activity on the streets, that was for sure... Unfortunately, there wasn't much room in the sushi place, the waitress looking around for a place to seat Aiya.

However, it was a communal restaurant - they encouraged sharing tables and dining experiences with strangers, to conserve space and promote conversation between new people.

And so, the only seat the waitress was able to find for Aiya was a two person table, across from no one at the moment. "For now, you can sit here alone, but someone else will be along shortly to eat as well. You're okay with that, right?" the woman asked Aiya. In response, Aiya smiled and dropped her bags beside her chair with a 'plop', taking a seat and nodding to the woman. "Of course! I don't bite, I'd love to meet new people." The waitress stared for a solid few seconds at the Ibakuro's strange eyes before snapping out of it, nodding, and going back towards the front of the restaurant.

This left Aiya alone with a menu, which she perused silently while awaiting the arrival of another patron.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

LunarCataphract

Post by LunarCataphract » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:01 pm

Food. It was one of those essentials of existence. Everybody and anybody required food to exist but that did not mean you simply had to consider it a necessity! It was an art form! A way to express yourself! Or just a way to brag and show off and what better opportunity to experience the foods of the wider world than this festival? Devoted to peace though it may have been, a concept Fujikawa struggled not to burst out in laughter at, this festival was still a gathering of a wide variety of food; plus everybody needs a holiday sooner or later….not that Fujikawa really needed one currently but she wanted one anyway.

Strutting down the streets, dressed in that classic crimson and black outfit of her’s, the chemist was smoking her pipe. Wisping clouds of smoke, the scent akin to burning incense, seeped upwards from her pipe, floated away into the sky. Fujikawa continued to make her way down the street, eyes scanning the numerous restaurants and eateries until she suddenly came to a sharp stop outside of a sushi place. Hmm….sushi….she may have been able to eat sushi back in Kirigakure but perhaps Steam would offer something interesting.

She strutted into the sushi restaurant, extinguishing her pipe in the process, before being directed to the only available table: the one occupied by a rather intriguing looking individual. Normal and well kept hair but a rather curious pair of eyes. The sclera was green with both iris and pupil pitch black. The chemist slipped down onto the opposite bench, a wide and amused smile decorating her features.

Hmmm. A pleasure to meet you my dear. This place has a rather delightful concept, no?” The rather literal redhead grasped a nearby menu, flicking it open to peruse through the options before her. Tuna, salmon, prawn, maki, sushi rolls, squid and even some seafood based Gyoza…hmmmm…. Plenty of options indeed. With menu in hand Fujikawa leaned backwards in the bench, folded one leg over the other, resting her right arm upon the top of the bench.

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:15 pm

Aiya's perusal of her menu was interrupted after a few solid minutes, as a female voice rang out over the hustle and bustle of the rest of the crowd. As Aiya lowered her menu to look at the voice's source, she was stunned by how tall the woman was - She was almost as tall as Aiya, and Aiya dwarfed even most men! Her reddened eyes and red hair told her 'clan traits', but she couldn't quite put a name to the traits. It was just as likely that she was completely off base, and this woman was just gifted by her genetics to be so tall and... stunning. "Nice to meet you as well." Aiya would state simply, extending her gloved left hand toward the woman for a handshake as she made her introduction.

"It truly is a wonderful business. I feel it very much fits the spirit of what this festival embodies, a sense of 'coming together' and putting differences aside to truly get to know one another. I may be from Konoha, but I've met some wonderful people from all of the big five, and plenty of common folk to boot! It warms my heart to see so many gather peacefully." She smiled warmly at the woman, setting her menu down completely as a waitress came by and asked for their order. Aiya's was simple for now - A Spider Roll. Crab, Cucumber and Avocado rolled up in seaweed, Urumaki style as she preferred the rice to come before the seaweed wrap. The irony of it's name was what originally drew her to the particular roll, but the taste was what kept her coming back for more. In addition, she'd order a pot of green tea for the two of them to split, if her newfound friend wanted to share.

Once they had both placed their orders, Aiya would tilt her head and analyze the woman's wear a bit more in depth. It was extravagant, of that there was no doubt, but it also had an air of authority to it. Nobility maybe? She saw no signs of village affiliation on her person, but something about her simply screamed "Shinobi". "Where are you from, miss..." Aiya trailed off, hopefully allowing the woman to introduce herself.
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

LunarCataphract

Post by LunarCataphract » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:00 pm

My. It is always a delight to meet one so very polite.” Fujikawa’s own hand shot forth, moving with all the speed and grace of a viper, her own fingers curling around Aiya’s offered hand. Her grip was a firm and confident thing, as bold and egotistical as any other aspect of Fujikawa. She shook her dinner date’s hand in a slow and purposeful manner, neither too fast as to be rushed or too slow as to be dragged out. The confident smile on the red head’s face did not fade one bit, in fact it only seemed to grow wider and cockier. Fujikawa did eventually release Aiya’s hand, retreating away to rub her own chin.

Hmmm~ Yes, I can definitely see that. The Five Villages and their desire to keep their affairs private often grows rather tiresome, don’t you agree?” Now. Fujikawa was not so foolish or naive to think that peace between the villages was this possibility everybody should work towards but as a thinker, medical and woman of knowledge, she could not deny the advantage of there being some form of system to share academic knowledge between different villages. Infamy may have been her goal but that did not mean she wished people to suffer.

I do believe I will take a portion of tuna sashi and some maki salmon please, along with your finest sake and a bowl of salt.” That would do to start with. Fujikawa knew it would not fully satisfy her appetite but there was nothing stopping her from ordering seconds, or maybe she would simply order dessert and leave it at that. After all, she was far more interested in Aiya currently. Food was simply to satisfy her appetite and provide the pharmacist a chance to interact with this most intriguing specimen.

Miss? Disregard the formalities my dear, or if you are truly unable to resist the compulsion of a title…then I suppose sama would suffice. Fufu~ But my name is Fujikawa, the great and wonderful….Ah yes. I tend to avoid exposing my head band to the world. Secrecy is a tool all its own but for you my delightful sweet with emerald eyes, I will make an exception. I am from Kirigakure.” She suddenly snapped her hands forward, a single smooth skinned appendage seeking to clutch Aiya’s chin, hoping to pull her closer for a good long look.

I must say, your eyes are rather delightful, and stand out as well. A truly verdant shade of green.” And then, Aiya would find her chin freed with Fujikawa leaning backwards, right arm confidently sprayed out over the seat. Yet again, she folded one leg over the other, leaving the ball in Aiya’s court so to speak.

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:35 pm

Aiya smiled at the woman as she took Aiya's hand in a shake, her opinion of the privacy of the villages somewhat refreshing. "Agreed. We all have our differences, of that there's no doubt, but I see no reason why we all must be so bitter enemies. I actually found there were a few different shinobi from Kirigakure that I got along with while I participated in the Chuunin exams, including the one that I met in the final match. Ico... He was a great warrior, but also a warm heart." Truthfully, after everything that happened to her during the international Chuunin Exams, she found that she had a lot in common with shinobi from enemy nations... That realization lead her to wonder - Why were they enemy nations?

Fujikawa placed her order alongside Aiya, and the waitress left to go put it in while the two were left to speak. Fujikawa's penchant for flamboyance and pomp was certainly different from Aiya's usual company, but that was by no means a bad thing - On the contrary, she welcomed the eccentric nature of this new acquaintance! "Hehe, as you wish, Fujikawa-sama." Aiya stated with a small bow of respect. As she revealed her homeland to be Kirigakure, she tied it back to her previous statement, a happy smile crossing her face. "And yet another Kiri shinobi I meet that is clearly more than a bloodthirsty murderer. Truly, I'm either lucky, or the stereotypes against your people hold little weight." She was about to lean back in her chair and relax, but the woman's hand suddenly shot out towards Aiya's face.

She could have reacted - She was fast enough to dodge and strong enough to resist - But she didn't really feel as though she was in danger. In fact, what Fujikawa said about her eyes brought a small blush to the woman's face. "Oh, uh... Thank you. It's, uh, not often people have nice things to say about my unique traits. Even in my homeland, I get a lot of strange looks. If only people liked spiders as much as dogs, stupid Inuzuka..." She had made no efforts to hide her opinions of the Inuzuka clan, though it was more of a jealousy than a hatred. In fact, her mentor Minako had proven to be of great assistance to her growth as a shinobi. But dogs... everyone loved dogs. And most people loved the Inuzuka, because of the dogs.

There was rarely people on The Ibakuro compound that didn't have strict business, on account of all the spiders present on the grounds.

"Oh, you never asked, but you introduced yourself so I should do the same. Ibakuro, Aiya, at your service."
Active Characters

LunarCataphract

Post by LunarCataphract » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:49 am

Oh that is simple really. The villages, and the system that went into their creation, assists in maintaining some form of world peace. Each village checks and balances the other, forcing them all to devote time and resources to maintaining the current status quo. That is part of why they maintain the veneer of being bitter enemies, which has led into some genuine conflicts. After all, when you’ve lost loved ones to a different village’s ninja you tend to take a harder view towards them.” She paused at that, allowing her little speech to be absorbed before continuing.

Imagine, if you will, that two of the lands and their respective villages merged into a single military force. That would give them the numbers and resources to launch swift and decisive campaigns to conquer or render ineffective other hidden villages, especially if they keep the plans a secret. Preventing that is, in my not so humble opinion, why bitterness is always fostered between each of the villages.” At that point the chemist went silent, occupying herself with her green tea, idly drinking it with the casualness of a egotistical king.

Fujikawa-sama…hm I do like that but yes, I am aware our village has a certain reputation for bloodthirstiness.” She did wish to reveal a certain aspect of her education, namely the final exam she had to go through in order to graduate, but alas….this delightful dinner companion was from a rival village. That quite simply meant she could not reveal even the most minor of details about her village. It was an unfortunate reality that even if one could trust an individual shinobi from a rival village, they could not trust their superiors.

Hmmm you are welcome~” Fujikawa had to chuckle at hearing Aiya's expression of frustration at these Inuzuka, whoever they were. Probably some other clan located within the confines of Konoha, most likely one associated with dogs.

Hmmmm pay it no heed. Dogs are far more marketable than spiders. It is nothing personal against your clan.” That said, Fujikawa had to admit to herself she was hardly a fan of spiders. Sure, they were interesting creatures with some handy adaptations (as well as a great degree of use on account of their venoms) but they lacked the easy to love appeal of canines or most mammals at that.

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:18 pm

Aiya pursed her lips in thought as the woman rendered her thoughts on the animosity between the five villages. She ended up giving a nod of agreement and nothing else, believing her analysis to be mostly true in regards to where the bitterness came from, and how it continues to foster as a result of conflicts and rumors. However, she tilted her head in curiosity as the woman mentioned the villages grouping together. "But, the villages do have alliances with one another. They may not be one and the same per se, but Konoha and Suna's alliance has become incredibly strong over the past few decades, and Kumo has joined in with that as well by my understanding. Kiri and Iwa are also close allies, if for no other reason than for business. After all, your peoples do love your slaves..."

It wasn't a jab at Fujikawa directly, but Aiya had an issue with the concept of slavery, as most people in Konoha did. The current Hokage had taken numerous steps to put a stop to the capture of humans for the sake of slavery in Fire Country, his movements in the infamous "Slaver's ravine" were well known by now. And by right of religion, Suna's views on slavery were abundantly clear. She actually wasn't too sure on Kumo's stance, having not really delved too deeply into the alliance being forged with Nakajima Hayate herself, but her mind was getting off track.

"Hmph. They're marketable in the sense that they're fluffy and cute to some, but a big fuzzy tarantula is just as comfortable and cuddly if you know how to handle them. They're usually very docile, and while their tiny arachnid brains can't process emotions like dogs can, they can still process stress. Proper care can make them very relaxed, which makes them great pets!" She smiled at the end to punctuate her statement, just as the waitress came by with both of the women's orders, placing them on the tables in front of them with a smile.

"Ah, perfect." Aiya said with a grin as she grabbed her chopsticks and began reaching for her first piece, her mind briefly moving back to the topic of spider pets as she paused in her tracks. A small sigh escaped her lungs as her eyes dimmed for a moment. "I just wish things weren't so black and white for people. Fur is cute, but chitin isn't. four legs are cute, but eight aren't. And don't get me started on the teeth - People are afraid of spider bites, when a dog's mouth can cause far more damage. Most spiders don't even have dangerous venom! At least, not for humans. I... wish my interests weren't so creepy, that's all. Sorry, I don't mean to spoil your food."

Aiya finally managed to get a hold of the sushi roll in front of her, popping it into her mouth and trying to force a smile.
Active Characters

LunarCataphract

Post by LunarCataphract » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:21 am

Ahhh and that is my point. Suna and Konoha’s alliance is matched by Kiri and Iwa also holding an alliance. Three vs two, when you factor in Kumo siding with Suna and Konoha, may tip the scales in one direction but that is simply a result of having five villages. It both enforces and prevents a status quo. Rather contradictory one might say.” The nature of the villages and their providing checks and balances against the other was something Fujikawa had given a great deal of thought to but, as was the very nature of conversation, it soon moved onto another topic: slavery. A rather…ordinary topic for the Kirigakure shinobi in fact.

Ah. Yes. My village does have a rather certain reputation for such a thing, doesn’t it? Not that I care for such a thing. It is unfortunate that they are placed in such a position but….well.” Her voice trailed off at that, apathetic detachment dominating her tone. She supposed it was unfair and limiting of one’s potential to be locked into the life of a slave but that was not Fujikawa’s concern, not at all. There was only one person in the entire world who could be responsible for achieving your full potential: yourself. The nature of the world simply removing all barriers to such potential inherently would have cheapened the very thing.

Ah but let us not darken our table with such an unsatisfying topic. Such delightful food pairs better with equally delightful topics.” Luckily enough, it did not take too much prodding for the conversation to shift back towards something Aiya enjoyed: spiders. Not exactly what Fujikawa had in mind but she figured it was at least a topic that brought the Hidden Leaf Shinobi enjoyment. In fact, even though the red head herself was not the biggest fan of arachnids she could not deny that she was learning plenty about them. Yes, she supposed it did make sense that proper care and a relaxed environment would bring about a calming of their nature.

Ho? Curious. Relaxed and calm are hardly the first words that come to mind when discussing arachnids but, given the influence environmental factors tend to have on all animals in general, I suppose it does make sense. I unfortunately have no pets myself, despite my appreciation for animals. Do you fish by any chance? It is something I engage in myself.” Fishing was a noble and calming way to pass the time, a great means to both provide for one's own dietary needs but also simply get away from everything; especially in the Land of Water given just how very wet a place it was.

Fujikawa reached for her tuna, trying to hold in a laugh, amused and entertained by the insecurity Aiya displayed. Ah…it was the sign of the young and immature but not at all in a bad way. She brought the sushi to her own maw, taking a simple bite from it before polishing off the rest of the tuna. Fujikawa sighed softly, placing her chopsticks down, abandoning her more lackisadial tone of voice to adopt a serious one. It seemed that she needed to educate or illuminate Aiya on a certain fact of life.

Calm thyself. Creepy? Off putting? Heavens no. People’s fear of arachnids comes from a lack of exposure and their number of limbs. Their fear of spider bites? That is rooted in the venom. The chitin? It is not soft or fluffy, in fact I do believe even among arachnids with hair it tends to irritate or itch no? Applying logic to phobias is a pointless exertion that will only dampen your spirits. Do not lament people for their black and white perspective. That simply makes life easier for many. One can not fault them for that.” Throughout that entire delivery Fujikawa’s expression remained neutral, her voice serious and her posture relaxed.

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:37 pm

Aiya would agree with the woman she shared company with, skipping past all of the village politics. This wasn't the place for that, this was a time for peace and getting to know one another. "Mhmm, I agree. There are much better conversations to have that don't involve our home villages or their reputations." Aiya nodded at the woman, popping another of her sushi pieces into her mouth with a satisfied sigh, coating that particular piece in a touch of Wasabi for a little extra kick. Aiya let out a small grunt of sorts as the woman mentioned spiders not really being calm, the woman shaking her head in denial.

"Oh no, they can be very calm indeed! You simply need to not display any sort of fear or sudden movements. My compound back home has many spiders all over - They're simply attracted to our clan, for reasons I'm sure one as astute as you can guess by now. They're accepted in a way, like family to us, and they're rarely if ever hostile towards people - even outsiders who come to the compound can pass freely." Perhaps it was her experience that was clouding her judgement. Being that she shared in the Spider Blood, maybe her and spiders just had a natural affinity that normal people simply didn't have? It was possible, she supposed, but still quite sad in her eyes. That meant that so many people were missing out on what Aiya considered to be a great companion to have.

Fuji's sudden serious demeanor caught Aiya off guard though, so much so that she froze in the middle of reaching for her next piece of Sushi, her strange eyes honing in on the red haired woman. She wasn't sure if the woman was trying to comfort Aiya, or berate her... or neither. But she was factual, of that there was no doubt. Letting out a small sigh, Aiya thought carefully on her response for a moment. "You... aren't entirely wrong. It's foolish of me to apply logic to something as primal and emotional as fear. My issues and concerns lie with the second part of your statement though - I can fault people for choosing to live in ignorance and see the world in blacks and whites. Such thinking can be dangerous if left unchecked. Knowledge leads to understanding, and understanding leads to coexistence. Maybe even appreciation."

"If a lack of exposure is the problem, people need more exposure to the problem - not less. To shelter oneself is to invite stagnation. No one should want that." She, too, was neutral and serious, though not at all aggressive or dismissive of Fujiyama's discourse. The woman was indeed right - Some people simply had an unexplainable fear of certain things, regardless of what information there was that pointed out how irrational that fear was. Such was the science of Phobias. But, even amongst those with such fears, an understanding could lead to better coping with the inevitable encounters they were bound to have with such phobias. Smiling after a small pause, Aiya felt the need to show appreciation to her guest at the table. Reaching with her sticks, she would grab a piece of her sushi and move it casually over to Fujikawa's plate.

"A token of appreciation for your company, Fujikawa-sama."
Active Characters

LunarCataphract

Post by LunarCataphract » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:06 am

By your own admittance, spiders are attracted to and have a connection to your clan. Excuse me if what I must say comes off as inflammatory but there is a simple truth to be found there: The spiders of your compound are far more approachable than those others encounter. Wild animals can be……challenging at the best of times. In fact, what I am trying to say is you may find winning hearts and minds easier if you start from a position of understanding. Empathy is a rather effective tool in social engagements.” Fujikawa hoped that did not come off as rude, offensive or lecturing. She was simply stating the circumstances as she saw them.

But…..to a certain degree perhaps you are right that black and white attitudes are an issue but I would like to point out that some people simply wish to live their lives. Challenging perspectives and attitudes can be rather exhausting, both your own and others.” She took another piece of sushi, bringing it to her mouth and rather swiftly eating it. Mmmm…salmon…the salty almost buttery taste of raw salmon was something the chemist had grown to appreciate in her age. It was hardly the most aggressive taste for the palette but it had a nice subtle taste she most definitely appreciated.

That is….part of the solution I will admit but I would urge caution against that line of reasoning. Forcing exposure would only breed a degree of resentment and that is the last thing you desire, no?” Still speaking in that serious and mature voice, a reserved tone at odds with the normally boisterous voice she used, the chemist eventually grew silent. She focused on her food, having said her pieces and wishing to focus on her meal. Serious conversations like this tend to dampen moods and truthfully? Fujikawa wished to speak of more positive topics.

Hmmm I feel we could use a palette cleanser after that. How about you tell me about yourself and your clan? The association with spiders is something I’m aware of but what are your parents like?” It was a naked attempt at making small talk. Utterly blatant but that was fine.

Oh? Thank you very much.” Her smile returned, that bold, egotistical and dramatic thing spreading across her features with the relentless aggression of a conquering army.

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:24 pm

Aiya stroked her chin in thought as Fujikawa continued with her analysis of Aiya's perceptions, and once again the woman was not entirely wrong as she made her points. Some people didn't want to challenge their perspectives, they wanted things to be easy. Spiders are bad, dogs are good, and that's the end of it. Why devote more time and effort to something if you didn't truly care about it that much? "In the end, it isn't ignorance that is the problem. It's Apathy." Was the last she had to say on the matter, punctuating her final words on the subject with a sip of green tea, as if to wash the admittedly tough subject of discussion down.

Fujikawa proceeded to ask Aiya about her parents, causing her to hum in thought as she put her tea back down on the table. "Kazuo and Rin... They're all around great people, honestly. Neither of my parents were Ibakuro by birth - Hell, my mother still isn't and probably never will be. But they care for each other... sometimes a little too much. Like, I get that they love each other, but I don't think any kid wants to see their parents get all... mushy. Blech." Aiya's face scrunched up as thoughts of her parents being romantic entered her mind, a small shake to chase away the thoughts and get back to the subject at hand.

"I'm third generation Ibakuro, and I was born into the clan 4 years ago. One of our many oddities is the speed with which we age - But I don't think I can go much father into detail on that subject. Just know that I'm technically very young in comparison to most, aha!" She closed her eyes and grinned as a slight wave of embarrassment crossed over her, scratching the back of her head with one hand while her other reached for her next piece of Sushi.

"And what of you, Fujikawa-sama? I don't want to hog the spotlight all day, surely you have some interesting tidbits to regale me with. You mentioned fishing, but I get the distinct impression that there's a lot more to you than spending your days off a pier." Aiya left the comment open, allowing Fujikawa to take it in any direction the woman was comfortable with, while Aiya popped the sushi she grabbed into her mouth.
Active Characters

LunarCataphract

Post by LunarCataphract » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:29 pm

Apathy…hmmm you may have a point. Apathy is the emotional state that requires the least energy after all.” Fujikawa, in her work as a pharmacist and medical ninja, often had to try and assist with health issues that were as tied to the physical as they were the emotional. They were uncommon really but had occurred enough times for her to grasp a few basic elements about how the mind works. One such basic element was, as stated, how apathy was a state that required minimal emotional investment. The human mind was a strange thing to unravel.

Your parents…? Ah I have few stories to offer regarding mine.” There was an element of bitterness, easily detectable with how the chemist pursed her lips and habitually reached a hand up to her face. She knew the burns, given to her by those cowards sitting on their laurels, would always be there. Some days she considered simply forgoing the makeup that hid them and other days she considered looking into seeing whether Iijutsu could permanently fix the damage but never did she decide to go through with either.

...You are only four?” For the first, and only time this evening, Fujikawa was shocked. She blinked a few times, unsure at first whether she had actually heard Aiya right. Was she truly only four years old?...Hmmmm that created a strange situation. Physically and, it seemed to a certain degree, mentally Aiya was about as mature as a young adult but for her to only be four years old? That was…interesting if nothing else. Fujikawa wondered how raising a child which aged so swiftly went. She could not also deny a degree of curiosity about how nutrition and feeding was handled; a body growing so swiftly would demand a greater intake after all.

Ah? I do have my own handful of interesting tales…but I think I will simply need to save them for the future.” There was a tone of guarded defensiveness to Fujikawa’s voice and expression, her eyes having turned into a slight scowl, paired with pursed lips and a sighing sound.

But you are correct in one regard. There is more to me than merely fishing on a pier.” Yet…she kept silent at that. She was not in fact that sure of what to actually say. Her family history and personal goal aside, Fujikawa knew she had led a rather quiet and uneventful life.

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:35 pm

Aiya gave a small grin as the woman displayed some shock finally, a satisfied smirk on her face as she giggled a little, a smug sort of chuckle. "Yup. It's pretty cool, for the first year of my life I got to treat every 'month' like it was a new birthday. We age at about the rate of 1 'year' a month compared to the normal rate of a human, so it's sort of become a fun tradition to reward a budding Ibakuro in that way. Wasn't easy on my parent's wallets though, let me tell you!" She laughed a little to herself as she reached for another piece of sushi, finishing her roll with a satisfied sigh and reaching for more of her tea.

As she held the tea cup in her hand though, the looked to Fujikawa with a puzzled expression. "Oh come now, that's hardly fair, Fujikawa-sama. I've told you much about myself, it doesn't feel quite right to go on and on about my own experiences without giving you the opportunity to share some of yours. I understand if you wish to keep certain things close to the vest, but i'm sure there's a nugget somewhere in your past that would be safe to part with, right?" She wouldn't press the woman too hard, but it just felt awkward to have so much to talk about for herself and not learn anything of her dining buddy. She'd conclude with a sip of tea while she awaited Fujikawa's response.
Active Characters

LunarCataphract

Post by LunarCataphract » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:41 am

I would imagine…I must admit I am more curious about the caloric intake. To physically grow at such a fast rate must have demanded a greater intake of food and other essential elements, no?” That was where Fujikawa’s curiosity lied as she polished off the last of her sushi before turning her attention to the tea. She would have to come and visit this place again in the future. Heart may be a long way from her village but its neutrality would make it an appealing vacation destination.

Hmmm…perhaps one day I will share my past experiences with you but that day will not be today. You do make for delightful company but let us simply say there are some things one is best off not knowing.” In truth, Fujikawa simply did not wish to expose her past to Aiya. It was a messy and rather unpleasant thing, ill-suited for the atmosphere of this otherwise pleasant encounter.

Still, I suppose I can share details on the present. I run a pharmacy inside Kirigakure’s walls.” The chemist supposed she could at least share that detail. Her life, currently anyway, was quiet and uneventful but she was not going to allow it to stay that way. Her dream…nay her obsession….it was to make the entire world tremble at her name, to become a figure they quaked in their boots at the mere mention of but before that she would be revisiting her family. She had unfinished business with them.

Return to “Steam Country”