Lost in the Rain [Closed]

Aoi, Fuhen.

An international hub and place of refuge for any who visit. Steam Country is home to Amegakure, a bustling city that is arguably the closest thing in the world to the size of any of the great Shinobi villages. Shinobi activities are strictly forbidden within Steam Country, but shinobi are welcome to conduct personal business here.
Undine

Post by Undine » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:55 pm

~ Amegakure, Steam Country ~
It had been twelve days since Aoi had arrived in the capital of this seemingly broken land. sixteen days since the rain started, and it only seemed to stop for fifteen or twenty minutes at a time. Of course his Sobo would have reminded him to see the beauty hidden around him, she always said that. Aoi figured it was because, as a Kinoko, he would one day be considered ugly or even monstrous by most people. Still, his grandmother was right, and despite his growing frustration with his feet constantly being wet or the way the raindrop laden wind seemed to bite into his face now and again, there was definingly small things hidden in plain sight to be enjoyed. The way people seemed to stand a little closer to their loved ones, almost as if to protect them from the rain. Or the rhythmic way it pitter pattered against the window at night, allowing Aoi to sleep deeply after a long day's work. The air smelled cleaner, and despite the dampness, Aoi felt more refreshed after a walk than he was use to in the Heart Empire, which normally resulted in an afternoon nap after a long walk in the sun. Still, like most Kinoko, Aoi felt an unrelenting urge to explore the world, and while this land made have been different from what he'd been use to, meeting all the different types of people and seeing all the different examples of various cultures from many nations was something he truly lived for, besides, the rain was starting to grow on him.

Aoi hadn't exactly come to Steam Country looking for a vacation however, as that would likely get him in deep trouble with his superiors back at the Academy. No, he'd volunteered to join a group of medical relief workers that were heading to Amegakure to provide medical care to the many refugees in the country after the war. As a refugee himself, and having lived through a lot of the same struggles in the last few years, as well as being a trained medic, Aoi had practicality jumped out of his sandals at the opportunity to join up on this mission. As it turned out, traveling wasn't as much fun as he'd remembered, of course he'd been much younger when he and his grandmother fled Gold Country, but still, much of the land was desolate and the remnants of war still tore at the landscape like shrapnel embedded in muscle, the scars of battles long lost or won still lingered. Aoi enjoyed the prospect of healing some of those scars, even if only in a more abstract sense. A handful of the people he was helping to treat had been injured in the war, most though had suffered the effects of disease, malnutrition, or non-combat injuries caused by the sheer distance they had fled from. The days were long, the work hard, but the feeling of helping people who had seen so much ugliness, see a little kindness was having a profound effect on him. He was also learning so much about medicine and the artform of caring for your patients as people, not just injuries to be fixed.

It was after one of these long shifts at the clinic he'd been assigned to that Aoi found himself walking in the rain, umbrella in hand, down an alley that was suppose to lead to a ramen shop he'd overheard a few of the nurses talking about earlier in the afternoon. Veritably starving, Aoi was having a bit of trouble remembering the directions to the restaurant and, chastising himself for eavesdropping on another person's conversation, he turned back around the corner to head back to the clinic and realized he had no idea where he was. As if an act of providence, the rain picked up harder than normal, causing the wind to bite into his face and his Sobo's voice in his head, telling him how much she would miss him on his trip and to hurry back home safely. Lost in the rain, in unfamiliar land, the realization dawned on him just as his anxiety was starting to rise. "Baka." Aoi muttered to himself, as he reached up to adjust the zipper of his jacket, a self soothing habit when he was nervous.
Heart EmpireShow
Kinoko, Aoi ~ Heart Empire ~ Akibushi
~ Aoi, The Blue Kinoko ~
SunagakureShow

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:39 pm

Fuhen loved Steam Country. Its closeness to what used to be River Country meant that in many ways the landscape was similar, and of course, the weather was as well. This kind of rain was what had built him to be the man he was today, even! This was the weather that made the air smell like ozone constantly despite a lack of lightning, and kept things feeling relatively fresh and clean... Well, except for the muddy streets, of course. Back home this would have been prime fishing weather, and in Tea Country such strong rains would mean a flourishing of the fields for weeks to come!

Of course, Fuhen was a frog, he was bound to love the rain. The denizens of Steam Country didn't care either, used to it by now, adapted in how they did business. The festival of Heiji day would go on regardless of the weather, and as such the Shogun had business to attend to. He was doing his duty as a representative of the minor countries, giving speeches, inspiring hope as best he could, and trying to keep the peace behind what was a rather upset general populace. The payments given to the refugees on Heiji day would never make up for the war, only make it possible to continue on living after it. They would be easy to rile up, but that wasn't what Fuhen wanted, he didn't need the people to act as a shield, if anything, he was to act as their shield.

Still, his duties were done for the day, and just like any average lay-man, he too enjoyed ramen. He had some paperwork to attend to, so after getting himself a generous triple-portion to go from a place recommended by the locals, he started to make his way back to his prepared housing, a nice hotel room that was too extravagant for Fuhen's preference. He could have made the trip faster than lightning could strike the ground, but he wanted to enjoy the weather, and so he walked with a steaming bag in hand, no umbrella to be found as he sang a tune from his old home of River Country, a song talking about Takiyasha-hime casting down rain to drown out the invader spirits that used to inhabit River Country.

So caught up in his singing and enjoyment of the harsh weather, he bumped into someone considerably shorter than himself. With an "Oof." He caught himself, and subsequently reached down with one hand to catch whoever it was that he'd just bumped into, steadying himself on them whether they had the physical acuity to steady themselves or not. He looked down, it was a young white-haired boy, probably not a local, given his looks, but the people of Steam were even more diverse than Tea. He didn't seem to wear any distinctive markings, but most denizens of Steam didn't. The tourism boost of the festival was likely to bring people from all over...

"Ach, sorry young feller, I needtae watch where I'm goin' better!" He smiled down at the soaked boy, patting him down like one would to get the dust off of a dirty child. "All good, I trust? Wallet still firmly in place? Head on shoulders?"
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Undine

Post by Undine » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:01 pm

So caught up in cursing his own stupidity, Aoi hadn't noticed the man about to walk into him until it was too late for him to move out of the way. The imposing stranger nearly knocked the young teen off his feet, but Aoi quickly found himself steadied by the man, whose reflexes left Aoi with the impression that this stranger was indeed trained, at least to some degree. "I, sorry sir, I should have-" Aoi began to apologize as the stranger patted him down and tried to make sure Aoi was okay. "I ugh, thank you, thank you, I'm fine. I should have been paying more mind to where I was standing." The fact that the stranger had asked if his head was on his shoulders caused the boy to snicker, but then the other thing the man had said about his wallet caused Aoi to reach for his wallet, suddenly worried it might have been stolen. As a refugee himself, Aoi was no stranger to pickpocketing, he'd certainly done his fair share before his grandmother was able to open her shop.

Finding his mind pulled back to the moment, Aoi looked the man over, noticing the style of dress, the young Kinoko surmised that the man was likely a samurai, which made sense given his quick reflexes a moment earlier. The realization caused Aoi to mentality berate himself, as all the samurai he'd met back in Tea Country had always been honorable men and women and it seemed rude of him to even think a samurai would steal his wallet. "Apologies sir, and thank you, I am uninjured." Aoi took a closer look at the rain soaked kanji located on the right side of the man's hakama. "Iyashii? Interesting." Aoi muttered to himself, trying to remember why the name sounded so familiar. His thoughts were quickly dispersed once again at the smell of the steaming Raman catching his senses. A sharp growl imitated from the boy's stomach, which would have made his face turn red, if not for the slight chill of the rain on his face. "Baka!" Aoi muttered, turning from the man in embarrassment, as he once again cursed himself, this time because of his flagrant lack of discipline.

"I hate inconvenience you Sir, is there any chance you know the location of a Raman shop nearby? I'm not from here and I seemed to have lost my way." Aoi didn't really want to impose himself, but he was quite fond of samurai and clearly this one knew where the food was located. Besides the Kinoko didn't want to take the time to sniff the place out, especially since his jacket was starting to soak through and the rain likely dampened the smell. The thought of some steaming hot Raman and a good soak at the bathhouse was all Aoi had thought about that afternoon. It would be the perfect end to a long day of hard work, and Aoi needed the rest since he'd be back at it again tomorrow. There was still a somewhat nagging feeling in the back of Aoi's mind, something about the samurai, this Iyashii, that was bugging him. The young medical-nin gave the man another glance, searching for some sense of danger or threat, but despite the nagging in the back of his mind, no threat could be seen, and Aoi allowed himself to relax. Perhaps whatever it was would reveal itself once the young Kinoko had some hot food to quiet his raging stomach.
Heart EmpireShow
~ Aoi, The Blue Kinoko ~
SunagakureShow

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:31 am

The Frog let out a good-natured chuckle as the younger boy checked over himself, looking him up and down. Fuhen himself had experienced a rough poor life as a youth, his village often taxed so much by their cruel lord that they couldn't afford to eat. His experiences had led him away from his own village in search of more lucrative work as a mercenary, bounty hunter, entertainer... All in the pursuit of bringing money back home for his starving family. In truth, the ground went without rain, and so it had to harden. The world was done hardening, though, he wanted the children to be able to play in the mud.

Of course, the ground couldn't literally go without rain here in Amegakure. Suddenly, he clapped his hands together, and in a burst of his pink, flowery chakra, a white umbrella with a frog pattern would appear, opened and over the young boy's head, giving him some minor respite from the pounding rain, even if he was already soaked. "Ahh, think nothin' of it, tadpole! If'n we spend time gettin' upset every time someone bumps into us, we'll never 'ave time for nothin' else! The world is gettin' more crowded by the day..." He smiled down at the boy, reaching down to pat him on the head just like he would his younger siblings, always the big brother.

When the boy mentioned he was lost, the Shogun looked around, his face looking a bit more serious. It was starting to get quite late, and all of Steam, being a refugee state, and more specifically Amegakure being a large city, was not the kindest place. The boy being lost likely implied he wasn't a native. Was he here with his parents? Anyone to take care of him? "Och, ah'm sure the place may well be closed by the time ye make it over there, tadpole. Tell ye what, ah've got some extra I dinnae mind sharin', lets get you back to where ye belong and I'll split it with ye, aye? An apology for so rudely bumpin' into ye!"
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Undine

Post by Undine » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:14 pm

As the young Kinoko allowed himself to relax, the stranger quickly slapped his hands together, and before he could pull a kunai from his right pocket, a strange type of chakra began to blossom in the man's grasp, shifting from a pink flowery light, and transforming into an instant umbrella. Aoi almost chastised himself again, realizing that the man wasn't actually threatening him. Instead, he chastised himself for being so quick to drop his guard. The man was clearly trained in more ways than the sword, and even if he wasn't trying to harm Aoi, it would be foolish for the young akibushi to have relaxed so readily in an unknown land, and in the presence of an unknown entity. What would his Sobo do if she found out her only grandchild had died so far from home? The thought was giving Aoi knots in his stomach, which ached even more so alongside his hunger. Even if the sudden display of skill had reminded Aoi to stay vigilant around strangers, it wasn't lost on him that he himself had come to Steam Country to help refugees, and perhaps this stranger had come for similar reasons.

Aoi offered the man a short bow to show his gratitude for the umbrella, even as the nagging sensation had started to creep it's way up the back of Aoi's neck. The moment the strange man started to speak about about not being upset, the young Kinoko could hear his Sobo telling him about the important of apologizing and always showing respect to everyone, especially one's elders. At least he'd become aware that it wasn't a sense of danger he was getting from the man, at least not in the immediate sense. "Well, that might be true, this city is certainly crowded, but I think my grandmother might kill me if she found out I wasn't being polite like she taught me." Aoi tried to laugh it off with a nervous chuckle, but the stern look of fear smeared across his face made it clear he wasn't kidding around.

It dawned on Aoi, that his confession to being turned around had bothered the man, as he had begun to look around with a stern expression on his face. "Ah, don't worry sir, I'm not normally one to talk to strangers in back alleys, and even if someone were to approach me, I have been trained in self defense." At this, the young Kinoko pulled one of his kunai free from his pocket just enough to show the blade, before returning it to his place. "Perhaps we should formally introduce ourselves? I am Aoi of the Kinoko Clan and Akibushi of the Heart Empire, it's a pleasure to meet you sir." Aoi offered, giving the man a more formal bow to show his respect. "I'm currently assigned to a a medical company from Heart Empire sent to offer medical aid and relief to the refugees of Amegakure, the location we've been given to work in isn't far from here, I'm just not sure which direction it is. My lodging is a few buildings over from it. I'd be more than happy to offer you some tea as thanks. My Sobo makes this custom blend that helps recover from the stress of a hard day's work." Aoi gave the kind stranger a bright smile, he didn't have much else to offer in way of gratitude. Since the man was willing to help him out and even share his dinner with a complete foreigner, offering some tea was only the most reasonable thing Aoi could offer in return.
Heart EmpireShow
~ Aoi, The Blue Kinoko ~
SunagakureShow

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:24 pm

The Frog smiled and let out a croaky chuckle, at least someone was raising the boy right. His own parents, especially his father, had been a big motivator for him growing to be as big and strong as he was. It was heartbreaking when his death was caused by an invasion of Kirigakure missing ninja, though it could be argued that his sudden reliance on himself was what had finally pushed him over the edge to who he was today. As was common for River Country natives, both of his grandparents had passed while he was still young, but the village raised him and his family, and blessed his parents with many children to carry on their legacy.

The world was indeed growing denser all the time. Medical knowledge was becoming more common, slowly, and even without the advancement of chakra being made available, Fuhen's efforts to band together the minds of the minor countries was proving to leave a greater lasting legacy for himself than his children could likely ever provide. "Och, showin' knives to strangers in alleyways isnae the best way to make friends, neither!" He laughed again, winking at the boy as he put his weapon away.

As he finally introduced himself, Fuhen raised a brow. The boy didn't wear any sort of identifying marks, and so it was surprising to hear him identify himself as one of his own men. For a moment, he thought about playing down his own role a bit, but his aide had been pushing on him to embrace his role as a leader more and more, and so he bowed back, a deep bow by his ankles that wouldn't have been possible for most humans. "Pleased t'meet ye, esteemed Akibushi, Aoi!" He slowly raised himself back up, and started to walk, patting the child on the back to usher him to come with.

"It's been years since I met someone from the Kinoko... Plains and Sea, wasn't it...? I suppose New Tea attracts all sorts." He looked up towards the rainy sky, remembering his experiences in the area, a darker part of his past that he tried to move on from. "Ahh, rude o' me, almost forgot to reciprocate..." The Shogun jerked a thumb to his chest, the patch for "Iyashii of River" proudly displayed. "Iyashii, Fuhen. Grand Shogun of the Heart Empire. Here to try and inspire some o' the locals, I s'pose, though I think yer goals may be somewhat more important and in tune with the spirit o' Heiji Day." He hardly missed a beat, never having stopped walking the whole time. "Though we've all got our roles to fill. And good tea fills a role for everyone, methinks!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Undine

Post by Undine » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:09 pm

Aoi's cheeks tinted a pale rose color, his blush mitigated by the temperature of the rain, as he wasn't accustomed to being chastised by strangers, though he had been warned not to show himself as a shinobi while in Steam Country, so he guessed that maybe the stranger was only japing with him in regards to showing one's knife in a back alley. Of course, the Kinoko's blush deepened as he was even less accustomed to being given such a formal bow as the one this man had just gave him. Either way, Aoi hadn't much time to get lost in his thoughts on the matter as the stranger began to guide him in the correct direction of the temporary medical clinic.

Following the man side by side, Aoi was impressed to hear the man had some understanding of the Kinoko Clan and Aoi's own origins. "I believe it's called Gold Country now, though I've lived in New Tea for the better part of five years now." Aoi spoke of his new homeland fondly, with his bright smile plastered along his face. While Tea Country might not have been the place of safety he and his grandmother had sought after when leaving their old home in the Land of Plains and Sea, it had indeed become a much more promising home after the Heart Empire had been founded.

Aoi's attention was once more drawn the the symbol on the man's chest that had gave him pause earlier. In doing so, Aoi's mind once more began to dwell on it. Iyashii, it was familiar to him, while the Kinoko's mind was trying to remember if he'd seen it on one of his patients, or perhaps among the many refugees he'd met over the last few years, he almost didn't register what the man had just said. "Yeah, that was the idea, volunteer our medical skills in light of Heiji Day-" Aoi's voice fell silent, and he wasn't sure if his face had gone red or pale, perhaps both, as he'd surely felt the blood rush to his face and then drain almost immediately. The shock of realizing who this samurai was, as well as the embarrassment that Aoi hadn't recognized the name immediately.

"Iyashii, Fuhen. Grand... Grand Shogun... of the Heart empire." The young Kinoko muttered to himself, his gaze lost in the the kanji on the samurai's chest, as if searching the symbols for clarity. "Ehhh!?" Aoi was shooketh, so surprised by this revelation that he stopped walking just to give himself a moment to digest meeting the man responsible for the formation of the Heart Empire. The second wave of realization hit the young Kinoko as he immediately gave his liege a saikeirei style kneeling bow, to show him the proper respect. Lowering his chest to his knees, before bringing his forehead to rest on his hands, just above the wet ground. "Please forgive me, oyakata-sama, I did not mean to insult you, I just have never seen you in person before. I apologize." Kinoko, Aoi spoke, trying to keep his voice calm and steady. His Sobo would kill him for certain when she found out how he had disgraced himself before such a hero.
Heart EmpireShow
~ Aoi, The Blue Kinoko ~
SunagakureShow

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:01 am

The Shogun stared down at the youth, a warm smile on his face as he started to explain his place in the festival. He had such respect for the representatives of Heart that had shown up in this time of need. Certainly, not everyone was proud to be here, some were bitter about the existence of Steam country at all, and especially bitter to be 'making nice' with ninja from several countries, but the overall demeanor was positivity and helpfulness amongst his people, and it filled him with a certain pride, like a father watching their children take over the family business.

So caught up in the pride welling up within him, that he almost didn't notice the boy prostrating himself on the ground as he continued to walk. The Frog stopped mid stride to turn around to face the boy who'd thrown himself on the ground, blinking a few times. Still mid-stride, the Frog would hop a couple of times so his body was facing the boy properly, before setting his feet down properly, and bending down in what seemed like a low bow... Only to grab the boy by the hood attached to his vest, and pull him up off the ground.

"You'll soak yerself tae the bone if'n ye spend time on the ground, young Kinoko!" He held the boy a few inches off of the ground for a moment, before gently setting him back down on his feet, and then rubbing his hands together and brushing the boy off. "We're nae in a room holdin' court, nor on a battlefield, lad. The Grand Shogun is a warlord, without a war ah'm jus' a friendly face on the street." He smiled and gave the boy a powerful pat on the back, gesturing him to continue following them back to the Heart Country Lodgings that had been so kindly set up for them.

"Good of ye to show respect to a stranger, though, some may try tae take advantage o' that, aye?" He laughed, looking back over his shoulder. "Ah've never been much o' one for formalities in the first place, but ah'm glad ye think so highly o' just another friendly face on the street." The Shogun winked. "Maybe I'll be able to retire someday if the rest of the new generation is as friendly, aye..."
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Return to “Steam Country”