You Gotta Know When to Fold 'em

ThatGuy and Nick

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Sun May 28, 2023 6:06 pm

It had been three days since Yutaka had a decent place to sleep for the night. Normally, he’d be able to sucker people out of enough money to buy himself a visit at a brothel for the night. But lately there had been no takers and he couldn’t even get enough cash together for a stay at some run-down inn. Not that he couldn’t manage sleeping on the streets. He’d done that plenty of times, but it was hurting his business. People were less willing to approach an unwashed vagrant claiming you can double your money. They all assumed he would cheat, they were right, but he couldn’t have that. A man has to eat somehow. So he sold off a couple of things and gathered enough money to go to a nearby gambling house.

Looking around, Yutaka weighed his options. Normally, he would be all too happy to play legitimately and lose all his money. That wasn’t the case today. A game of dice at this place was nearly impossible to cheat at. While he had a knack for counting cards, 21 was way too risky. So, ultimately, Yutaka decided it was time for a game of poker. Assuming there weren't any trained individuals at the table, it would be nearly impossible for them to catch him. A combination of his sleight of hand, long-sleeved kimono, and ability to create new cards made it difficult to spot. Yutaka brought his bottle of sake to his lips and turned it upside down, downing nearly half of it with a single drink. This earned him looks from the other patrons of the gambling hall.

With a large smile, the man sat down at a table with three other players. They all seemed to have caught a buzz, which made them the perfect target. Most people wouldn’t risk being completely smashed at a table with so much money on the line. Yutaka was not one of them. With his cheeks flushing red and a big smile on his face, he sat at the table and joined the next hand. As per usual, Yutaka had the absolute worst luck with gambling, which worked in his favor. If he’d sat down and won every hand, then he’d get kicked out in no time. So he played three hands, taking care to lose just enough money to not seem suspicious.

”You gotta be kidding me! Three bad hands in a row? You’re not robbing me, are you, dealer?”

The dealer scoffed as he dealt out another hand in silence. Picking up his cards, Yutaka waited for the flop. He then dropped one of his cards down his sleeve and used his Oudouchi bloodline to create a card from his wrist. He did all of this in one near-imperceptible movement before raising. When it came time to reveal hands, Yutaka smiled and revealed a flush. Happy that no one had a better hand, the man was finally making a profit. Before returning the cards, Yutaka palmed the one he had created and swapped it for the original that he hid in his sleeve. When the dealer didn’t give him so much as a sideways glance, he knew it was going to be a good night. He’d play it safe for another couple of hands while he tried to learn the tells of the others at the table. Once he had it down, he was confident he’d be able to make enough to at least last another week with his vices.

“Do you guys want more drinks? They’re on me.”

The drunker the others were, the less likely it was that someone would spot him. When a couple of them spoke up, Yutaka waved a member of the staff over and ordered drinks. While it would set him back a bit, he was confident that it would pay off in the long run. If he played his cards right, he’d be out within the hour and a whole lot richer.
CharactersShow
Itotsuki, Abari Kirigakure Chuunin [color=#80a0ff]
Akio B-rank Other Countries [color=#ee4a2d]
Nara, Daisuke D-Rank Missing nin [color=#E4EC32]
Kisama, Yutaka Heart Empire Akibushi [color=#BF0000]
Akari, Touji Iwagakure Genin [color=#C0C0C0]

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:53 am

"Fuck this bullshit, I got work tomorrow." One of the men said, not opting to look at his cards, taking the last meager remains of his Ryo and bowing out, leaving an opening at the table. Goro walked into the building. He didn't frequent this kind of dive, his usual place was a lot calmer, neater, the kind of place he could get high quality Lightning Country soju on the rocks and sip on it all night while smoking and having a chat with the bartender. However, his usual place didn't usually have games of cards going, and the scarecrow was feeling a tad more devilish than usual.

He wordlessly sat down at the table, looked down at the two cards down in front of him, and pulled out a couple of ryo for the ante. "Playin' this hand." He stated, not a question, but a statement of fact. Someone looked like they wanted to say something, but as Goro reached into his western-styled coat pocket to pull out a cigarette, the man found it wise to shut up. The darker haired man did not light the cigarette, and still did not look at his cards, instead starting to eye the men around the table, his darker glasses making his eye movements hard to watch. Most of the people present were wearing more traditionalist garb, and he could tell one of the men at the table was a member of the Kisama clan. Natives to Tea, Shark, and River were all fairly light skinned, and while Gold country had a fair number of darker skinned folks, few had that shock of red hair.

Goro was certainly not the most analytical man in the world, but he had a set of skills for reading people and understanding them through their actions, which is why up until the moment of his death, he'd been selected by his employer to be the Shogun's retainer. He didn't have enough to go on just yet as the first round of betting came and went, everyone calling the ante but no raises just yet, Goro still didn't look at his cards as the flop came out. He lit his cigarette, finally. In his most nonchalant way possible, he put a hand up lazily for the barboy running around. "Whiskey, on the rocks, make it a double."

Still without looking at his cards, he read the flop, and casually tossed in a few more Ryo as the opening bet. "What are we drinking tonight, folks?"
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:45 am

Yutaka grew slightly irritated as the man left the table. He buys the guy a drink and quits just a couple hands later? He shook it off fairly quickly however, telling himself that they were broke anyway. Yutaka was starting to get a feel for the other two players. One, an elderly man with too much time on his hands, had a bad habit of checking his cards repeatedly when he had a bad hand. As if they were going to change if he checked enough. The other would raise his eyebrows ever so slightly when he had a good hand. It was a good start, but now there was an entirely new player at the table, casually smoking a cigarette and ordering whiskey. 

The stranger didn't even look at his cards, yet he still called the ante and even started the opening bet. He was either very stupid or a lot savvier than Yutaka would have given him credit for. As the other two looked at the flop, Yutaka read their expressions like a book. Neither of them had good hands, that he could be sure of. When the newcomer spoke, Yutaka took the opportunity to try and hide his movements by making conversation.

"I just got me old reliable here." Yutaka lifted his bottle of sake and shook it slightly, looking to shift everyone's focus to it. All the while keeping his other hand under the table and grabbing one of the cards he had made during a previous round. "Though if this dealer keeps being stingy with the cards, I'm gonna have to switch to something much cheaper!

Yutaka exaggerated his laugh as he pounded his fist and dropped his head onto the table, pretending to be stifling his laughter. He was acting far more drunk than he actually was and, yet again, was drawing attention away from his other deception. Ever so slightly, he dropped one of his cards into his lap, which he promptly swiped with the hand not on the table. Then, with one motion, he lifted his head and grabbed his remaining card, sliding the replacement down his sleeve into his hand. His outburst had earned him a cold glare from the dealer.

"C'mon, man. Lighten up! Let's see the turn."

He called the current bet, and the dealer revealed the next card shortly after. The old man was checking his cards over and over again as they waited for the newcomer to bet. Yutaka had set himself up for a three of a kind, and if his calculations were correct, no one else would have the King of Spades he swapped into his hand. He just hoped that the newcomer didn't have the kind of blind luck to make his efforts this round a complete waste.
CharactersShow

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:50 am

Goro quirked a brow at the man across the table, a corner of his lips raising in a smirking smile as he made his exaggerated pledge, showing off his alcohol, the military man's trained eye noticed almost immediately. If anyone could be expected to hold their alcohol, it was a member of the Kisama clan. Then came the turn, he slammed the table and unseen to most members of the table, the card dropped off the table...

In bullet time, Goro's bandaged left arm dropped off the table, two forks of the bandage reaching out, feeling around, and grabbing that card that dropped off in mid air before it could land in the man's lap. He had to give him something to believe in, however, and so as the card rolled back under the table to Goro, one of the forks slipped his own card off the table while everyone's attention was on the fool in front of him, swapping the two all within less than a second. The scarecrow had no idea what card he'd just stolen, nor what card he'd just given the man, but even if it caused him to lose, it was amusing to ruin a man's plans like this.

Ah, and he didn't miss out on the prestige, either. The prestige wouldn't come until after the final cards were turned, without anyone except for Goro knowing that a trick had occurred at all. Internally, he felt sad about that. What was the point of such skills if you couldn't show them off?

The barboy returned with Goro's whisky, to which he took with a slight nod of the head in thanks, taking a sip before setting it down on the table next to his cards. He still did not look at them as he puffed on his cigarette. "Sake's for partying." He stated simply, not an indictment of behavior by any means. Goro reached back into his pile, betting high with one card left to be revealed still. He expected one of the other three men to fold, but if they didn't that would reveal more about the game than looking at his card ever could. "So what're we celebrating then?"

The bet went around the table, the man who nervously checked his cards folded after checking his cards a good half dozen more times. The scarecrow chuckled. "Scared of a man who doesn't even know his hand? You could've won big." He said tauntingly, looking around the table once more. "Not to worry pal, I'm sure your luck will turn around any day now."
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:23 pm

"What am I celebrating? My life, of course! You know what they say? Every day is a gift."

With a big smile, Yutaka called the man's raise. They were obviously just being an ass if they were this far into the game without looking at their cards. When the old man folded, Yutaka let out a chuckle at the newcomer's taunts. He appreciated the vibe, and, more importantly, the money they brought to the table. Given his suit, attitude, and the overall way he carried himself, Yutaka figured it was safe to assume they were a big spender. 

Feeling cheeky, Yutaka raised once again, leading to the other man at the table folding. Leaving just him and the newcomer. As the round of betting came to a close, the dealer laid out the river. With the round coming to an end, Yutaka spoke once more. Instinctively checking his cards one last time.

"Luck has a lot to do with it, sure, but don't forget there's other…"

Yutaka let his mask slip for a fraction of a second as he looked at his cards. The King of Spades was gone, and with that, his chances at winning this hand. Quickly hiding the flash of panic, he looked over at the newcomer with a wary eye.

"...Skills involved."

He hesitated for a moment as the newcomer made their bet. Yutaka had two options. Either he could fold right now and cut his losses to save the embarrassment, or he could play the hand out and risk heavy losses. He decided to go with the latter, curious to see what hand the newcomer had. So Yutaka called the bet and revealed his measly two pair. 

"Ah damn, was hoping I could bluff ya!"

As the newcomer revealed their cards, Yutaka let out a small smirk. They had the King of Spades. There was a small chance that they had the original one from the deck, but Yutaka doubted it. Something about the man's confidence led him to suspect foul play. As the dealer shuffled and prepared for the next round, Yutaka spoke up once again.

"I know ya just got here and all. But how about I treat you to a drink at the bar? For a hand well played."

Yutaka gave a look that said, 'why the hell would you ruin my grift'. Grabbing what little money he had left from the table, he looked for a good spot in the bar. Hoping to find a booth where the two could speak candidly. Part of him was mad about losing nearly all of his money, but mainly he was just curious. Plus, if that card got shuffled back into the deck, then it was only a matter of time before someone was blamed for the extra King of Spades in the deck.
CharactersShow

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:15 am

When Yutaka smirked, the devil in black gave him a nod. The man was intelligent enough not to bluster about it immediately following the prestige, and had earned some modicum of respect from Goro with that alone. "Better luck next time. Or skill." He said, gently scraping his winnings together and organizing it into little towers. He hadn't expected the man to invite him away from the table though, and he looked up with a quirked brow, before looking around at everyone else at the table. With a shrug, he took his three shortest stacks and slid them over, one to the dealer, and one each to the two who had just lost the hand aside from Yutaka. "For not giving you a chance to win it back."

The winnings he divvied up wouldn't make things even with what they'd lost, but it'd pay for their antes for a couple of rounds at least, something that was bound to make the house happy. Slowly, deliberately, he took one last long drag of his cigarette, before putting it out on the ice cube in his now empty drink, pushing his chair out to stand up, and stopping the barboy once more. "Warm sake for two, that booth." He indicated off to the side, before giving a couple more pieces of his winnings to tip the man delivering his drinks.

Goro sauntered over to one of the empty booths with Yutaka, plopping himself down unceremoniously before digging out a fresh cigarette from his coat pocket, offering one to Yutaka as well. "Something tells me you know the real secret to poker. You don't play the hand, you play the players." He said, igniting his death stick, and Yutaka's if he accepted the peace offering. "The audience knows the show must go on as long as you tell them it should." The tip had encouraged the barboy to expedite Goro's order, and brought them a large container with two cups, the first ones already poured for the pair. The scarecrow held his cup up in a cheers. "So, what's the name of my audience today?"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:06 pm

Yutaka laughed at the man’s words, a genuine laugh this time. They might have robbed him, but he couldn’t help but like the guy’s attitude. They seemed to be polar opposites, yet somehow the same. The man was a lot more clean-cut, whereas Yutaka had no issues being the bum. After his laughter died down, he accepted the cigarette, and after the man lit it, he took a drag. Yutaka wasn’t normally a smoker, but he would occasionally do so as a social ritual. After cheering his new friend, he drank from his cup before speaking.

"Name’s Yutaka. Yutaka Kisama technically, but I haven’t been around them since I was real young. So I guess I can’t really use the name."

He paused to take another drag of the cigarette, and upon noticing there was no ash tray, he made one from his forearm and put it in the middle of the table. After flicking the ashes from his death stick, he realized that his friend might have noticed his tattoos. Rolling up his sleeves, Yutaka spoke once again.

"Yakuza if you’re curious. Left years ago, but the marks stay with you. I bet someone like you has definitely got some kind of unsavory background too. Just how the hell did you do that? Steal my card, I mean. It’s only a matter of time before that dealer deals those cards side by side. Luckily, I doubt he’ll even remember us by the time those cards show up."

Yutaka grabbed the bottle and refilled both of their cups. Before the man could answer, however, he realized that he was being rude. First impressions are important, right?

"Oh, and I never asked your name, did I?"

With that, Yutaka took another drink, awaiting the man’s answer. While he may have lost a bunch of money, Yutaka couldn’t help but start to enjoy the night.
CharactersShow

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:22 am

Goro ran through his mind palace as the man mentioned his name. He was right about the man being Kisama, the name didn't sound familiar though, not that he knew all of them by name, but he did know Oban personally. His explanation pulled his mental exploration to a close, however. Not an uncommon story for members of the clan, he figured. Many of them stuck together as up until the Heart empire came along they had no place to call home for all that long.

Yakuza too answered many questions he might have had about the man, but to be ex yakuza was an interesting feat. He knew they had a presence within the empire, some of the youth turning to them as a form of rebellion, others turning to them for protection that the empire couldn't stretch resources to provide... He took a long drag of his cigarette, and rather than exhaling the smoke, downed his cup of sake through it while it lazily crawled from his mouth. The scarecrow wasn't sure where and how to begin answering the man's question.

"Noujin, Goro." He stated calmly. The man may well recognize the last name as a family of new nobility, but as he poured himself another drink and refilled his partners, he continued. "Family isn't exactly my biggest fan most days, either." He shrugged and puffed at his cigarette, nodding in thanks for the provided ashtray, not that he would have stopped himself from dumping it on the floor either. "I'm not out of my unsavory background, yet. Neither are you, it seems."

Wordlessly, by only flexing his muscles underneath his suit, the bandages on his left arm would come unwound slightly as he sipped at his tiny cup of sake. They oozed out of his sleeve, one end suddenly reaching out to cut the burning end of Yutaka's smoke off, before the other quickly relit it in the same action. "I suppose I'm still deciding if I should be leaving it behind for something sweeter." He commented, as the bandages sucked back up under his sleeve as if they'd never come out in the first place.

"Tell me Yutaka, why did your Heart tell you to leave a life of crime, only to return to a life of crime on your own merit? Surely a band of Yakuza couldn't have been too happy to hear about your departure." Another long drag of the smoke, but he didn't bother tipping the ashes off this time. He seemed distracted, as if this subject matter really had him thinking. He wasn't sure he could leave the cult. He wasn't sure he should leave the cult.
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:42 pm

Yutaka’s eyebrows raised as the bandages shot out to put out and relight his cigarette in the blink of an eye. That was a hell of an ability. Oh, the cons he could pull with a trick like that. This Goro character had earned his respect. When the man asked about his past, Yutaka took another drink. Normally he’d keep words about his past to a minimum, but for some reason he felt like telling his story to this man. Assuming they were willing to listen. Yutaka took another deep drag of his cigarette before speaking.

"Well, it’s a pretty long story. When I was five, my uncle took me into town, and me being the mischievous person I am, I snuck away. Some heartless bastards kidnapped me, branded my arm, and sold me on the market. A slave from a clan is quite valuable, as I’m sure you can imagine. Some shitty branch of the Yakuza paid top dollar for me, thinking they could use my ability to get rich. So they were forcing me to drink every day, thinking that I would instinctively know how to make them weapons. They kept me in a brothel, not as a worker, though, it was just the most convenient place. The women could take care of me, but more importantly, they could make sure I didn't try to run away. When I was nine, they switched from vinegar to honey. Brought me up as one of them."

Yutaka paused to finish his drink. The memories of his previous owners always left a bitter taste in his mouth. Thankfully, alcohol tended to wash it out.

"So I did my best to please them. Stole lots of shit, conned people, and even cracked a couple skulls here and there. After ten years I was promoted to work under some dumbass captain. He'd made a shitshow of their gambling house, so they sent me in to wipe his ass. Then, when I was just twenty-two years old, they made me a captain."

He took another drag of his cigarette and put it out in the ashtray. While he felt like he was bragging, it was the truth. Yutaka was practically a prodigy when it came to being a criminal.

"I was their star child, being groomed to run the whole branch. The idiots fell for it hook, line, and sinker. See, as a captain, I didn't have some mook spying on me 24/7. So the second I saw an opening, I ran for the hills."

Yutaka let the words linger as he poured another cup of sake. He wasn't trying to complain, and he didn't want the man's pity. It just felt like the story needed to be told. He'd only spoken this candidly before about his past with "working girls," and even then it was only the ones who were terrible conversationalists. Drinking from his cup once more, he continued.

"They tried to chase after me for a time, but I kept giving them the slip. Took out a couple bounty hunters too. But they were reaaaal persistent. So I figured if I joined the military, they'd have no choice but to accept their loss. I signed a two-year contract, and I hated every second of it. I don't like being under anyone's control. So after my time was up, I took my money and started wandering. Buying a place would mean I'd have to listen to some shitty landlord, and I sure as hell ain't working for anyone again. So now I use my skills to scrape by. People look at me and say, "What a pathetic man, wasting his life away'. But I feel the same goddamn way when I see them! Everyone's a slave, they just don't want to accept it. Meanwhile, I can go wherever I want, do whatever I want, and not a single fucking person can tell me otherwise. See, you have it wrong, I did escape my unsavory past. I just embraced my unsavory future, that's all."

After finishing his story, Yutaka realized he had been talking for a while now. He must have been boring his new friend. Pouring Goro another drink, Yutaka spoke up once again.

"Ah, hell, I didn't mean to come off all sappy like that. You endured the ear beating like a champ, though. Enough about me, what about you? You one o' them shinobi? Definitely not a normal man, that's for sure."
CharactersShow

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:55 am

Goro listened to the man's whole story without interruption, casually taking short puffs of his cigarette, and filling Yutaka's cup as he downed the little saucers of sake placed in front of him, wetting his throat throughout the thick volumes of his life story.

Realistically, Goro's status as a member of the military, and especially one whose focus was on internal affairs of the empire, he maybe should have considered arresting Yutaka. He openly admitted to being a criminal, and his past as a member of the Yakuza would make the arrest fairly straightforward. From a glance he could tell the man wasn't all that strong, and yet a piece of his previous Shogun whispered in his ear about the potential of the man... And perhaps just as importantly, Goro wasn't working and didn't particularly care about every little criminal that wandered into his path unless they decided to stand in his way.

As the Kisama clansman finished his story and asked about himself, Goro laughed bitterly, puffed on his cigarette, and downed his saucer. "Careful who you call a shinobi, I'm surprised you didn't die in the military with sense like that." The world of the samurai was a complicated one, especially these days. It was constantly being challenged what it meant to be samurai, as the title was no longer reserved for nobility who served their lords, which meant a lot of people were more protective of the term, especially when compared to the term shinobi. A not insignificant faction of traditionalist samurai held ninja in such contempt that the idea that some of their tactics were being used in the military was enough for them to start whispers of anarchy.

Goro had a complicated history with ninja; They made him uncomfortable moreso than angry, or, not that he'd admit to it, afraid.

The scarecrow thought for a long moment about how much he wanted to tell this man. Certainly he couldn't spill his entire life story, the man was, clearly, not a part of the cult of the Shogun, though his traditionalist attire perhaps implied some more traditionalist views that could align with the goals of the cult...

"I am the third son of a first son." He said finally, slowly letting out that long drag of smoke he'd been pulling in. "I've fought tooth and nail to be more than a normal man. My family fought tooth and nail to be more than a normal family. We're from Tea Country. Old Tea Country. Not this half-desert new place of Xincha." He stopped himself for a moment from lamenting and sighed. "The Shogun... did build something beautiful here, though."

"I nearly lost my life in the last 'great shinobi war' defending my home, just to have it stolen out from under me by those water country shinobi anyway." His bandages around his left hand started to unfurl from his thumb, giving Yutaka a glimpse of the horrible burns that encapsulated around fifteen percent of the man's body. "They laughed while boiling my blood from the inside out... Monsters, if I ever knew 'em." He laughed bitterly, remembering some of his conversations with the Shogun. Fuhen considered men like himself and Goro both to be monsters as well. What did that say about the men that he feared?

"The Grand Shogun himself saved me. He shouldn't have even been there. Then some men approached me, asked me to be his personal retainer, after I'd recovered. I agreed." There was more to the story, of course, but he had to gloss over some of the facts to keep the man uninvolved. "I was there when he died..." He trailed off, remembering watching the man be lost inside of a fist, expecting him to emerge triumphant... But that triumph never came. "Now those same men have me looking after... Some important pieces of the country."

He inhaled his cigarette until there was nothing left of it, turned his head up and blew it all out over Yutaka's head. "I respect your freedom." He said after a long pause, without further comment or clarification.
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:43 pm

The man was even tougher than Yutaka thought. He knew it was no exaggeration when Goro said his blood was being boiled. The bandages weren’t just for utility, those burns were serious. Yutaka took another drink as the man continued his story, but nearly spat it out when Goro brought up the Shogun. He could tell the man was important, but to think that he knew the previous Shogun personally? What the hell was someone like that doing in this dingy gambling hall? It was nice by Yutaka’s standards, but surely someone like him would be in a place with fewer dregs of society? Even after the death of the Shogun, it seemed they were being assigned to some high level project. When Goro said he respected Yutaka’s freedom, the conman stayed silent for a moment.

"You’re one tough son of a bitch, I’ll give you that. I appreciate you not kicking my ass and arresting me. I guess not all officials are so bad."

There was a commotion near the poker tables, and Yutaka couldn’t help but lean from his seat to look. It turns out there was an argument breaking out at the table they had left earlier. He let out a groan as he realized what was happening. Against all odds, the dealer must have already dealt both Kings in the same round.

"You gotta be fucking kidding me. I have the worst luck. What’re the chances of that!? One in a couple hundred thousand?"

Yutaka looked over at Goro as he poured one last drink. He’d been through this song and dance plenty of times before. But this time he had some fancy official with him. As two employees in the distance started making their way to the booth, he spoke to Goro.

"Well, looks like I was wrong. They’re definitely going to try to arrest at least one of us. I don’t suppose ya want to flash a badge or anythin’? We can always do this my way."

Normally this was about the time when he’d flip a table and run away, but Yutaka was curious to see how Goro would handle the situation. Would someone of his status have any issues cracking a couple skulls? Or would that lead to him being chewed out by his boss? Whoever that was. With a cheeky smile, he waved at the two men making their way over to them.
Last edited by ThatGuy on Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharactersShow

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:16 am

There were a lot of reactions that one could have to a situation like this. Immediate violence was a common one amongst street ruffians, perhaps only second favorite to flipping tables and running away, but Goro didn't grow up a street ruffian. While in the most technical sense he was a farmboy, his family being one of the top producers of Tea for the empire, he was minor nobility by the same right. Nobility might have handled the situation diplomatically, or just as likely by pulling clout or a bribe, but Goro wasn't really proper nobility either. "That would solve the problem quickly... But the Shogun taught me this one." He finally said, taking his saucer of sake down in a single gulp, slamming it back down, before his tone of voice went far more high-pitched, much louder and more boisterous.

"But there's no fun in that!" He announced to the entire bar at once, making a big sweeping motion with his now empty hand. "Ah that's what the old lady said! Said I'm no fun!" He repeated, slurring his speech a bit, having gone from perfectly sober to a sloppy drunk in a matter of seconds. "And then she got mad when I brought home her sister!" He giggled and hiccupped as the two employees shouldered their way in front of the booth. Goro ignored them even as their shadows cast long across the table. "Ah you'll let me sleep at your place, wontcha Yuuta?"

He poured himself another drink and made another wide sweeping gesture with it... 'accidentally' spilling it on one of the two men, and immediately looking over to them and holding his hands up apologetically. "Sorry, sorry! Didn't see you fellas there! Let me buy you a drink to make it up!" He made a big show of taking a towel on their table and wiping off the spilled alcohol as the man he'd spilled on started to steam in anger a bit, his compatriot chuckling. "Not to worry sir." The bouncer said, his demeanor having changed from disheveled and grumpy to somewhat pleasant as soon as he saw Goro's helpless drunkenness. "We were just asked to inquire, did you notice anything out of the ordinary in your games not too long ago?"

Goro blinked and flopped back down in his seat, pouring two more saucers of sake and sliding them to the end of the table sloppily for the two bouncers, a little spilling on the table. "Oh! Well, that man there..." He said, leaning in really close to the bouncer he'd spilled something on, whispering conspiratorially. "He was actin' kinda suspicious, kept checkin' his cards every five seconds, like the cards were gonna change or something..." Before he slapped the table and laughed raucously. "Mighta just been nervous though, he sure was sweating a storm!" He said loudly, as the two bouncers turned to look at the man he'd indicated, all suspicion suddenly off the pair at the booth.

The one Goro spilled his drink on turned back, took the saucer and downed it quickly, before they both hustled off to harass another customer of the establishment. Goro giggled and hiccupped once more... Before turning back to Yutaka, his face returning to a much more neutral expression as he slid the empty cup back over to his companion, and pulled the full one back in front of himself. "Not sure he'd have appreciated it being used like that, though."
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:25 pm

Yutaka caught on to the trick Goro was pulling rather quickly and followed suit, letting out a loud laugh as the man told his story. He liked to think he was a pretty good actor, seeing as he’d fooled plenty of people in the past. So he played off the man, smacking the table as the two men loomed over the table.

"Of course you can crash! The missus won’t be happy, but hey, better to ask for forgiveness than permission, right?"

When Goro spilled his drink on one of the men, Yutaka gave a quick couple of bows with his head in apology. Goro was a pretty damn good actor too. Together, they had painted the perfect picture of two old drinking buddies. You’d never have guessed they just met today. Yutaka hid a smile as Goro started to frame one of the men they were playing poker with earlier. That was pretty clever. 

"Yeah. The guy was sweatin’ bullets, like someone had a knife to his neck or something. I’m guessin’ he had put up a lot more money than his wife would normally allow! Kami knows I’ve been there."

Yutaka let out another loud laugh as he finished, only letting the laughter die down after the two men left. Giving Goro a wry smile as they sat back down, Yutaka poured himself another cup. If the Shogun had taught the man that trick, then he must have been a lot more fun than Yutaka had given him credit for. 

"You’re pretty damn good at that. Ya ever considered a humble life of crime? We’d make a pretty damn good team! You can be the muscle, and I can be the one who sits on his ass and watches. Whaddya say?"

With that, he raised his cup for a cheer. Whether or not Goro followed through, he’d still drink from his cup. He let out a small chuckle as he saw the two men approach their former poker opponent in the distance. Yutaka may have lost some money, but he figured it was worth it. Because tonight had been one hell of a night.
CharactersShow

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:36 pm

The scarecrow accepted the man's cheers, but still only sipped at the remainder of his sake rather than downing the saucer. He'd had a good bit to drink by now, especially having downed the last saucer all at once, and didn't want to end up as the sloppy drunk he'd just pretended to be. "Cheers." He mumbled into his drink, setting it down carefully.

"What makes a crime...?" He pondered aloud, in a way that might have sounded rhetorical, but he had the introspection to realize that his question applied to him all too well. The scarecrow's own missions were dubious at times, but he believed in what he was doing, and maybe that was enough, regardless of whether it was 'legal' or not. He shrugged his shoulders and leaned back in his seat.

"You're not smart enough to be the man in the chair, and not strong enough to be the muscle." Goro stated matter-of-factly, rolling his wrist in a lazy circle. "Might be charismatic enough to convince a couple fools to follow you, though." The man gave a little credit, continuing. "And you're just sleezy enough that nobody would believe I asked you to do anything..." Ahh, that was it, the gears clicked into place in Goro's head. "Suppose I might have a job or two that needs doing that I don't want associated with, would you happen to know a sleezeball that might be looking for some fair pay for unfair work?"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:05 pm

Yutaka found Goro's question about crime a bit too philosophical for his tastes. A crime was whatever you did to get officials to send people after you. But he supposed he should leave the thinking to the smart types. He found it a waste of time to think about anything that didn't somehow involve his next paycheck. As Goro more or less called him stupid and weak, Yutaka took his hat off and gave a dramatic bow. Well, as close as one could get to a bow while sitting at the table, then feigned offense when he was called sleazy.

"Who ya callin' sleazy? This kimono cost me quite a bit of money, I'll have you know! But yeah, I might know a guy."

After excessively drinking for the last hour, Yutaka was finally finding himself at the point of no return. Even his insane alcohol tolerance had to give out eventually. Normally, he'd keep going a bit longer and black out by the end of the night. But if Goro truly had a job for him, the man needed to at least try to focus up.

"Just know they have a tendency to bolt when there's too much heat on 'em. So, what ya got in mind?"

With the prospect of a new job, he could officially say that the night was not a complete waste of his money. Assuming he remembered anything in the morning, that is. 

-End-
Last edited by ThatGuy on Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharactersShow

Return to “Tea Country”