Gone Fishing

Jirou becomes Roku's apprentice

Drak

Gone Fishing

Post by Drak » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:45 pm

“An apprenticeship?” Jirou asked the sergeant.

It was the end of one of the last training sessions for the current muster, and the sergeant had approached him with a proposition.

“Yes. He’s a relatively powerful samurai here in Tea Country, and he’s looking to take someone on.”

Jirou’s eyes went wide. He was imagining a grizzled, chiseled older man in red samurai armor: dramatic horns rising from his helmet. On his hip was a giant sword. No, two giant swords. No: three giant swords. He wasn’t quite sure how the third sword would work. In his mouth maybe? He would teach him the secrets of swordfighting and-

The sergeant snapped his fingers in front of Jirou’s face. “What say you boy? He’s a friend of mine, and he wanted the most promising recruit I’ve got. If you don’t want it I can send him someone more skilled or more disciplined, but I don’t think I can send him anyone more promising than you.”

Jirou was a bit shocked by this sudden bit of praise from the sergeant. It was usually “Try it again Jirou. You’re not doing it right Jirou. You will address me as ‘sir’. Next time you’re getting more weight.” Compared to that, this was effusive praise.

“Yes sir!” Jirou shouted, jumping to attention. “I want to be an apprentice, sir!”

The sergeant grinned and nodded.

“Very well then. Meet me at the docks tomorrow bright and early. Really, I should be saying dark and early. We need to get there before the fishing boats head out.”

“Sir,” Jirou interjected. “Why do we need to get there before the fishing boats leave? I thought we were meeting a samurai.”

“Oh we are,” the sergeant said, a smug smile on his face. “And you will see.”

Jirou headed home. He found his father and Mei making dinner in the kitchen. His mother and brother were nowhere to be seen.

“Where are mom and Tetsuo?” Jirou asked as he walked in.

“Work,” his father grunted, carefully watching a batch of croquettes he was frying.

Mei looked up from the pot of miso soup.

“A big order came in this morning from the military, and they’re gunning hard to get parts made in time.”

“Damn,” Jirou pouted. “I wanted everyone to hear my big news.”

“Big news?” Jirou’s father stopped watching the croquettes and looked up at his son with wide eyes.

“Relax dad. It’s nothing dangerous. My sergeant found a samurai for me to apprentice with!”

Genki’s brows furrowed.

“Son, I’m sure that’s a big deal, and I am proud of you, but you need to be very careful. I’ve heard that a lot of samurai will do… unsavory things to their apprentices.”

“Unsavory things?” Jirou asked, a puzzled look coming across his face.

“Mei, cover your ears,” Genki ordered.

“Dad don’t be gross,” Jirou chuckled. “I think that’s like… an urban legend or something.”

Jirou’s father crossed his arms. “Be careful. That’s all I’m say-”

“Dad the croquettes!” Mei shouted.

Genki panicked and started picking the overcooked croquettes from the pot of oil.

After dinner, Jirou went up to bed. The next morning he woke before dawn, dressed himself in his usual outfit and headed out to the docks. He had gotten used to seeing the city in the early morning, when life was just beginning to enter into it, but this was different. The city was eerie and still just before dawn. As he approached the harbor, the sounds of fishing boats being loaded for the day’s work.

When he arrived at the harbor, Jirou saw his sergeant talking with a man who Jirou assumed was the samurai. He didn’t look like any samurai Jirou had seen before though. He looked more like… a fish?

WC: 627/600 +1 Strength
Last edited by Drak on Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akito HyuugaKonohaJounin#008080

Jirou Kisama
Heart EmpireAkibushi#BF4000

Hanzou Fukusha
IwaGenin#800080

King of Cats
User flair: DM for RP

Gone Fishing

Post by King of Cats » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:38 pm

The day had finally come for Roku. Today he was set to meet in Xincha with his first apprentice.

The Blue Tailed Beast had worked hard as a samurai for Tea for as long as he could remember. He had served the military for over fifteen years as the captain of his own ship. Roku was charged with traveling the nation at a young age, he was put through the trials of a Heart Empire samurai. Deep down, at his core, Roku was as honest as any man could be held to being, he was straight up a good fellow to know and people who were around him experienced wonderful fortune. The people of Heart didn't know it, but Roku Shuryo was a legendary warrior.

It was not by his merit, though that was excellent, or even his power that gave him the magnanimous status of a legendary warrior. Instead it was the shark skinned man's own fortune that brough him into a position of precipice. One day Roku was gifted a fishing pole, something he greatly favored as a lifelong fisherman. This was no ordinary fishing pole though, this was actually the spirit of a great warrior of Tea. Roku had fallen into possession of Hideoyoshi, the Soldier of Fortune. Roku's entire life changed that day, for the better.

The Warrior Spirit Hideoyoshi was a bandit who served the coin in his life, a mighty warrior who traveled the continent earning a fortune. In death Hideoyoshi was cursed to live on as a spirit. The mighty warrior took the form of a hand axe and for many years waited alone for someone to find him. When someone found Hideoyoshi they found that their luck was altered greatly, and Hideoyoshi gained a great reputation as a weapon. Sometimes though, the wielders fortune would change for the worse and they would disappear mysteriously like the wielder of Hideoyoshi before Roku.

As he got ready at his campsite on a river in Xincha, Roku reminisced on his life up until now. He had spent most of his youth studying the art of combat as a samurai in Tea. For a while he traveled, and Roku enjoyed his time on the road. He fished many spots, and he remembered all of them. Fishing was Roku's favorite past time. He had spent much of his life fishing, more than half of his waking hours perhaps, averaged out of course. Roku loved to catch fish, gut fish, cook fish, eat fish, sell fish. He just loved fish.

Today Roku would be meeting his first apprentice and the two were going to go fishing on Roku's little wooden boat. The Blue Tailed Beast had spent the entire day before lugging the surprisingly heavy, wooden boat across Qincha and to the proper boat launch. Roku liked to throw it anywhere in the city, but he was being held to a more specific standard for the first meeting with his apprentice. He wondered if the young samurai was fond of fishing. "He's gonna hafta get used to it!" Roku thought to himself and got dressed for the day. The shark man was wearing his usual blue robes. They were baggy and hanging loosely to his armored flesh, exposing his sharp scales to the wind. Roku looked formidable. He was large, over six foot, and rippling with muscles underneath his jagged scales. The Shuryo was a perfect example of the shark skinned people, and he had a tail too.

Once he was ready for the day Roku reached underneath his sleeping bag and grabbed Hideoyoshi. The spirit was awake and bustling, as usual. He was annoying to Roku, but the blue man still considered Hideoyoshi a friend. He was mischievous, but not dangerous. It seemed the spirit was hiding something, but Roku chalked that up to the usual seven deadly sins working their magic on the human soul. He didn't pay Hideoyoshi any mind, usually. As he held onto Hideoyoshi he said to the sirit, cutting him off before Hideoyoshi could greet him kindly.

"Bandit," That's what he called Hideoyoshi when he was being serious, and also as a way to dig at him. "Listen Hideoyoshi. I'm meeting my apprentice today. You know I take this samurai life very seriously. This apprenticeship is a representation of my skill as a samurai. I want to teach this boy properly." Roku put the fishing pole on his backside. The golden, bamboo fishing pole glowed faintly. "Do not interfere. You disturbed my training with Suzuko, and she is a fine girl. She didn't deserve that, and neither does Jirou. Act right, bandit." Roku stepped nearby his put out campfire and grabbed an apple from his napsack.

Hideoyoshi was unusually silent for a moment, then the spirit said allowed. "I promise not to speak aloud again after this." Hideoyoshi snickered. He didn't say anything more than that and Roku considered it highly suspicious of the spirit. The Blue Tailed Beast left his cot and headed toward the boat dock.

The small boat tha tRoku planned to take the boy out on was waiting for them, tied to a pier by a steel wire. As he approached he saw the man who had suggested Jirou to him. Roku greeted him with a friendly wave and they spoke for a moment about Jirou's talents and bloodline. Roku wasn't familiar with the Kisama talents Jirou was harbouring, but he was excited to learn. As the two were waiting for Jirou they spotted him walking to the scene. Roku waved to him and called out, "Over here Jirou!" Roku sounded like he was bubbling with excitement, but he looked normal. His normally deep voice had a higher pitch to it. He was very happy to go fishing with a new friend, and of course getting to train a student would be interesting too.

Hideoyoshi was excited too.
OOCShow
Wordcount: 986
Training: +1 Willpower
Nara, Shiroyasha • Genin • Konohagakure no Sato
Kaguya, Renji • Chuunin • Kirigakure no Sato
Hyuuga, Kokou • Jounin • Konohagakure no Sato
Takumi, Hiroshi • Jounin • Sunagakure no Sato
Shuryo, Roku • Harubushi • Heart Empire

Drak

Gone Fishing

Post by Drak » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:49 pm

Jirou waved to the strange-looking fish-man and stepped onto the pier. The old salt-eaten wood creaked under him as he strode over to where Roku and the sergeant were standing.

“Morning,” Jirou said with a slight bow. “To you too, sergeant.”

“Good morning Jirou,” the sergeant said with a slight smile. “Meet Shuryo Roku, Harubushi of the Heart Empire.”

When he came up, he studied the samurai in front of him, comparing him to what he had been picturing. From what he could see of the man’s chest and legs, Roku had the chiseled part down. The grizzled part, less so: the scales, pointed teeth, and gills gave him a shark like appearance, but the more human features of his face pointed more towards a pretty boy than a samurai. Instead of the dramatic crimson samurai armor with spikes and horns and an oni mask that Jirou had envisioned, Roku wore blue robes and shorts? What kind of samurai wears shorts?

And as for swords: he had not three swords, not two, not even one sword. Why did he not have at least one sword? All he had was a stick. Scratch that, not an ordinary stick: a stick with a piece of string attached to it: a rudimentary fishing pole. Not even one of the fancy ones that the Kisama made – like the fishermen who sold to his father’s restaurant always had.

He was a few inches taller than Jirou (for now), and looked to be slightly heavier too. Despite looking nothing like the master samurai in his imagination, Jirou saw a certain imposing elegance in Roku’s posture and bearing. Not in a weird way though: Jirou wasn’t admiring his body like that. It just looked like this guy was fit and strong. That’s all. He decided that he would withhold his judgment until after their training.

“Good morning Roku-san,” Jirou said, giving Roku another little bow. “I’m Jirou! Jirou Kisama. From the Kisama clan. I’m an Akibushi for right now, but I’m gunning to make Fuyubushi as soon as possible. I’ve got to make up for lost time.”

Jirou assumed that Roku had been briefed on his situation: he had gone through all of the academy training (Jirou hoped that the sergeant hadn’t mentioned his academy grades) but had started military service a year late.

“So what are we going to be doing today? Some physical training? Sword forms? Ooh, or maybe some sparring? I never quite got that boring Iaido style, but I’m pretty damn good with Toryu.”

Jirou looked around at his surroundings. A dock full of fishermen getting ready to cast off was not quite the training grounds that he had envisioned either. In which case, maybe this wasn’t a training session. Maybe this was a mission! Roku was going off on a mission somewhere and was taking Jirou along!

“Or is this more of a mission-type deal? Some sort of overseas mission?” Jirou gestured to Roku’s boat. “All I’ve gotten so far have been humanitarian missions, so I’m ready for some combat ones. Are we gonna fight some pirates?”

Jirou could imagine it now: sailing the high seas, using his brass as crampons to scale the sides of ships. Leaping onto decks, sword flashing as he decapitated villainous pirates left and right. His heroics on the high seas would, of course, make everyone recognize his greatness. He would be immediately promoted to Fuyubushi. His parents would come around on his decision to join the military. His sergeant would be validated choosing him for this. And best of all, he would be able to tell girls stories of his adventures.

WC: 605/600 Endurance +1

Jirou Kisama

Hanzou Fukusha
IwaGenin#800080

King of Cats

Gone Fishing

Post by King of Cats » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:28 pm

Standing with the sergeant Roku turned his full attention to his new pupil. He had a full career of tutelage in store for Jirou and as he looked him over Roku wondered what kind of niche the boy would fill. All samurai of great renown were capable of serving one or two, maybe three, roles in the military. Roku was a wandering ronin for Heart, he served as the nations military force in the country side. As well Roku was part of homeland defense and lived half of his year in the city of Xincha, prepared for national defense in the event of the worst case scenario happening. Roku wondered if Jirou was cut from the same cloth as he, if Jirou would withstand the test of time and outlast this fellow Akibushi. The kid seemed well enough by a glance, Roku was satisfied by the young warriors personal choice in fashion. Of course fashion was the least of Roku's worries right now. There was war brewing across the borders. While it didn't directly affect Roku or Heart, he knew better than to let danger occur around him without acknowledging it. Roku planned on making Jirou a notable samurai, a hero. He smiled as he looked over Jirou thinking about what kind of heroic deeds the teenager would specialize in.

The Harubushi stood with his arms crossed as he was greeted by his student. The boy took an extra second to look over Roku and the Blue Tailed Beast thought it worthwhile to note that Jirou was exceptionally careful of Roku's appearance. The shark skinned man wondered if Jirou had ever seen a Shuryo. In recent years many of the people who once occupied Shark Country had been absent. Roku was among a small group of Shuryo in the city, which didn't bother him at all. That is to say he was unique in the streets and Jirou was careful to take in every aspect of Roku's appearance. It felt good to be looked at with judgement. Roku wondered if the Akibushi liked what he saw. The blue skinned samurai gave him the time he needed and then responded to Jirou's countless questions.

"Nice to meet you Jirou Kisama. I am Roku Shuryo. Harubushi of Heart Empire. I've served for many years. I'm excited to work with you and help you achieve your goal Jirou. I trust you will work hard." Roku winked. The excitement that Jirou exuded was fresh and Roku was glad to be able to take in the youthful exuberance. "Today I have something special planned for us. IT will certainly be unusual training for you, but fear not young lad! I bring a unique set of skills to battle, you will certainly learn a lot from me. They do not call me the Blue Tailed Beast for nothing." Roku bowed to the boy, smiling with his pearly white, dagger teeth showing. In the dark he would look menacing, but in the early morning sun he merely looked excited. Roku was indeed excited.

The sergeant coughed suddenly and then excused himself. He wished Jirou good luck with Roku and promised to see the Akibushi sometime soon.

Roku stepped down the line and onto the pier where his boat was tied to the end. He gestured with his hands for Jirou to follow and as he walked he spoke to Jirou. Roku had a deep, gruff voice that suggested he smoked. He did not. "Alright Jirou. Today will be a two part lesson. The first part will be your easiest lesson with me by far. I'm starting low and moving fast so keep up." Roku had arrived to his rinky dink boat and jumped in. He moved with subtle elegance and when he fell into the boat it rocked minimally. Roku continued speaking from the boat. "Alright this morning I have a delightful curriculum in store for you. I hope you love it. If you don't, well that's too bad." Roku let out a hearty laugh and stepped to the back of the boat, allowing room for Jirou to jump in. "So as you can see, this is the sea. We are going to go fishing, learn about each other a bit in an informal setting. They say a man will show you what he is made of at the sea, and I'm a lifelong fisherman as you may have suspected." Roku flashed his shark teeth again.

The Blue Tailed Beast reached behind his back and grabbed Hideoyoshi. The bamboo fishing pole was glowing subtly with a golden color and Roku set it down on the back bench of the wooden boat. He grabbed the two oars and handed one to Jirou. "A little practice with team work. We're going to go about two miles out so I hope you got endurance. Once we find my spot we will fish until we have lunch and dinner. Then I think you will find our actiities will kick it up a notch." Roku sat down in the boat and grabbed his oar. "After lunch we will spar. I want to see how you respond to battle scenarios. I hope you brought your A game. I'm not going to go easy on you." Roku reached into the water and dipped his hands into the cool, clear liquid. He splashed some water on his face. "After we spar I will take you to our meeting place. It's hard to find so make sure you pay attention on the way." Roku slicked his hair back and suddenly let out a laugh. "Trust me kid, it's not going to be as easy as it sounds. If you don't catch anything before noon, you don't eat."

With his oar in hand Roku waited fr Jirou to sit down in position. "Let's go kid."[/glow
OOCShow

Wordcount: 978
Training: +1 Mastery

Drak

Gone Fishing

Post by Drak » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:24 pm

As Roku began to describe his two part training program, Jirou deflated a tiny bit – he had really wanted to fight some pirates but he could settle for some real, in the field samurai training. And besides, how could someone with as badass a name as ‘The Blue Tailed Beast” steer him wrong? He was good to start off low intensity and build up fast. He was good with a tough, exacting curriculum. He was ready to fish – wait what? Fishing? Fishing wasn’t samurai training! Fishing was fishing training!

“Why are we going fishing? I want to do samurai training! Forms and sparring and- and- and- I don’t know, battle stuff!”

Roku seemed not to notice his objection as he jumped into the boat and sat down. Jirou clenched his fists and tensed up, growled, and reluctantly stomped his way over to the side of the dock. He had never been on a boat before. The boat was far enough away from the dock that he couldn’t just step in, but that didn’t stop him from trying. Jirou leaned to his left, then to his right, craning his neck, trying to gauge the distance to the boat. He raised his right foot and tried to reach it out to the boat. Maybe he could just step onto it? No, it was too far off. After another tentative attempt at stepping on, Jirou accepted that he would have to jump on. He took a few steps back, jogged up and jumped. He cleared the boat’s edge, but as he sailed through the air, the boat dipped in the water. Suddenly, the spot that Jirou had aimed to land was not where he was landing. Jirou tried to shift his feet under him to get purchase on the wood of the ship, but it wasn’t a good angle. His feet slid a few inches across the boat, and then with a mighty thud, Jirou landed ass-first on the fishing boat.

“Ow!” Jirou shouted, now sitting on the boat. “Damn it damn it damn it! Ow! I hate boats!”

Jirou sat there for a second, scowling. When Roku handed him an oar, Jirou grabbed it with both hands. He looked ready to snap the oar in half, but clearly thought better of breaking the boat belonging to the buff shark man who was to be his new sensei.

It couldn’t be said for sure if Roku had intended it, but saying that he hoped Jirou had endurance and that after fishing they would kick it up a notch and spar activated Jirou’s competitive streak. His frustration at being forced to get in a boat and fish began to quickly dissipate. He sat down on the rowing bench and winced. He had forgotten about his bruised behind.

“You want my A game? You’ll get it! I’m not gonna go easy on you either! I’ve got all the endurance to take everything you’ve got!”

Jirou realized how that sounded. His father’s warning about samurai’s proclivities towards their apprentices flashed through his mind. He should probably be careful not to give Roku any ideas, just in case.

“Uhhh, yeah. Let’s do this! I’m ready to do this. I’ll row this boat damn fast and catch all the fish!”

Jirou slammed his oar into the water, sending a dramatic splash of water up behind him. It quickly became apparent that he was less rowing the boat than he was slapping the water around like it owed him money. Obviously, this wasn’t especially conducive to propelling the pair along the water.

“Come on Roku-sensei! Let’s get this boat moving!”

WC: 601/600 Strength +1

Jirou Kisama

Hanzou Fukusha
IwaGenin#800080

King of Cats

Gone Fishing

Post by King of Cats » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:09 pm

Before the two began paddling Roku had the chance to see Jirou in prime form. The boy certainly had a classical teenage angst to him. Roku liked that. When he was young Roku was so invested in his samurai training he never got the chance to act up like Jirou was doing. As the boy sat there scowling Roku had an undeniably genuine smile plastered to his blue face. "Alright, Jirou. Time your paddle strokes to be right after mine. Use your speed to match me." Roku put his paddle into the water and heaved with both arms.

The boat was slowly floating towards the destination. Roku had a certain spot he wanted to fish on this early morning. He was doing most of the work. No matter how strong Jirou could paddle Roku was much more in rhythm and as a result the boat glides over the water with a slight veer to the right. Jirou was certainly working himself out trying to double paddle to keep up with the breadth that Roku was pushing. The Blue Tailed Beast was reminded of his first time on a paddle boat.

When his parents were killed in the war Roku was left to fend for himself. He had to protect himself, and feed himself. Both of those two things were very hard for the young boy to learn, but fishing was there to guide him. Roku started fishing on the banks of a pond in his village. The fish were muddy and filled with parasites but Roku's unique physiology could bear it. He was the only one fishing at the pond side for quite a few months.

One day Roku was casting off the grass by the muddy pond and he saw, from the distance, a boater getting ready to head out into the pond. Curious the young Roku wandered over to the dock and asked the fisherman why he was fishing the pond. The old man explained that in the middle of the pond there was a precious perch hole, clear as day. The old man offered to take Roku on the boat. He had to paddle with the elder. Of course Roku was much weaker back then, it took the two of them much longer to get to the pond than it did for Jirou and Roku, two samurai of the Heart Empire, to get just a couple miles out.

When they arrived near the spot Roku told Jirou he needn't paddle anymore. Roku wanted to get the two of them to his spot with a more subtle method of travel. The Blue Tailed Beast stood up holding Hideoyoshi in his hands. The fishing pole was faintly glowing.

When Roku stood up the spirit began speaking to him. "Roku, you can't honestly believe this young man will follow you with such a boring curriculum. He wants excitement. Blood. Sweat. Tears. Probably snot. You can't be serious. Fishing? Well, at least give him some of my luck." Hideoyoshi was talking about changing Jirou's Serendipity Field. By touching Hideoyoshi Roku was able to alter the flow of serendipity around his target. This meant he directly effected ones luck by merely touching them to Hideoyoshi. The warrior spirit sought Roku to use his powers and alter the chances of Jirou to catch a fish.

As a fisherman Roku was an avid follower of luck. His luck greatly influenced whether or not he ate, where he slept, and many other things. Luck had always influenced Roku's life beyond that of the typical man or woman (happy national woman's month). With such an influence over him, Roku found himself with an opinion of influencing ones luck. He always tried his best to do what would garner a big catch, or even a catch at all. When he met Hideoyoshi this didn't change much. The fisherman felt more than obliged to use the spirits power of the serendipity field to enhance his fishing experience.

With that in mind, Roku thought it was a great idea of Hideoyoshi's to let Jirou experience a real thrill while they fished. Truthfully Roku had considered it, but Hideoyoshi was always so finnicky with his powers. With Suzuko he gave her a bad sneezing fit that embarrassed her in front of a whole squard of Akibushi. Roku figured with Hideoyoshi's blessing though, maybe it would turn out differently. The Blue Tailed Beast spoke internally to Hideoyoshi, "Alright, since you thought of it." Hideoyoshi smiled, and disappeared from Roku's mind's eye.

Standing in the boat still, Roku took a step out and began walking on water. "Cmon, we are gonna walk out a way. Don't worry about a pole, I'll let you use mine." Roku waved ihs hands for Jirou to hurry up, the precious daylight hours were burning up.
OOCShow
WordCount: 803

Drak

Gone Fishing

Post by Drak » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:26 pm

With the help of Roku’s friendly instruction, Jirou began to get the hang of rowing. He began to transition from simply slapping the water with his paddle to properly sliding it into the brine and pushing off of it. He may not have been able to match Roku in strength or skill in terms of rowing, but he was determined not to be a drag on his new sensei.

As he paddled, it quickly began to dawn on Jirou how this might count as real training. It turned out that using your arms to push a boat that weighed several hundred (if not thousand) pounds through the water – fighting currents and winds the whole way – was no easy work. Jirou was a strong boy, in no small part due to his Kisama blood. He had always been a first pick for sports in the Academy, he was regularly able to win spars against even more technically skilled peers through strength and stamina alone, and while training, the sergeant had needed to make much of the regimen harder on Jirou.

This was all to say that rowing was wearing him out. Swinging a sword this was not, but Jirou could still feel his muscles working. Feeling his biceps working was a given. His shoulder too, to an extent. He didn’t expect to feel rowing quite so much in his back and down his sides. As rowing wore down a whole set of muscles Jirou never knew about, he began to develop a grudging respect for this as training.

Between the hard work and the sun on them, Jirou’s hair was wet with sweat. A lock had plastered itself to his forehead and was channeling all of the sweat on his forehead directly into his left eye. When a series of awkward blinks failed to alleviate the stinging, Jirou had to stop rowing for a moment to rub his eye and slick the stray hair back onto the crown of his head. Even just that moment of not rowing produced a change in the boat’s motion. It slowed slightly, and listed in its course due to Roku’s continued strong rowing. When Jirou resumed his rowing, he was slightly off tempo and that caused the boat to slow further and zig-zag subtly in the water. Or at least, it was a subtle movement to Jirou. He knew that Roku must have felt it.

Part of Jirou was glad to hear his new teacher give the order to stop rowing. In addition to the sweat and the muscle strain, Jirou had been trying to mask his heavy breathing the whole time. He couldn’t let Roku know just how tiring that had been. As the boat slid over the water, slowly coming to a stop, Jirou began to wonder how he was supposed to fish. He hadn’t brought a pole. Roku had one, but that was the issue: Roku had one. Maybe there was another pole around somewhere, but Jirou couldn’t spot it.

He thought back to the fishermen who would bring in fish for his father’s restaurant. Kisama fishermen tended to make their own poles and line from the brass. Jirou thought about it for a moment. He doubted he would be able to make wire fine enough to work as line, but a fishing pole should be no problem at all.

Jirou began to rummage around in his pack. Soon, his hands found what they were looking for, and Jirou pulled a clay jug marked with the character for “alcohol” out of his bag. In his focus to find the jug, he had not noticed Roku step out of the boat. Jirou uncorked the jug and raised it to his lips, taking a big gulp, just in time to make eye contact with Roku, who was looking at him from outside the boat.

Slowly, Jirou lowered the jug and recorked it.

“Um… I can explain.”

WC: 652/600 Strength +1

Jirou Kisama

Hanzou Fukusha
IwaGenin#800080

King of Cats

Gone Fishing

Post by King of Cats » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:26 pm

On the water, Roku could feel fish beneath him, swimming around looking for food. The motion in the water excited his fisherman soul and he was smiling hard when Jirou pulled out the alcohol. Roku raised an eyebrow. He was aware of Jirou's Kisama heritage, but he wasn't exactly sure why the boy thought he would need to invoke his Oudouchi bloodline. Roku reached behind his head and scratched his white hair confusedly. "Calm down, kid." Roku was still smiling and gestured with his hand once more for Jirou to step onto the water. "You can walk out here right?" Roku held his hands up in a sort of embracing position, showcasing the morning sun behind him.

Standing on the water was amazing, but around the two samurai was even more amazing. Roku had guided to boat to a specific fishing spot. On the water there were fish jumping up from the depths, breaching the air and flapping in the wind. There was no land around the two of them, just water, and Roku was standing on the water. Against the blue water his skin looked almost grey, but his scales gave off a certain blue sheen. Roku turned back around and began walking.

The Blue Tailed Beast didn't walk fast, but instead he kept a slow pace. He didn't want to push Jirou too hard. Roku thought maybe the kid needed the alcohol for some course. Being on the water was a scary feat after all. Some people lived their whole lives on land, never venturing past the water's edge and exploring the mysteries at sea. Roku couldn't imagine how confined a life like that would be. He thought about it as he walked on the water. Roku tread ever so carefully, leaving behind not a hint of rippling waves in the water. He had an excellently silent step, a product of his training as a samurai. Roku was incredibly skilled in the arts of stealth, he could move through rain as if he were a droplet himself. Walking softly on the water was an easy feat for him. Roku moved swiftly across the water, he was picking up speed with excitement. He had a certain spot in the water that he wanted his little buddy to fish.

After walking for a good ten minutes Roku found the spot he was looking for. It was a drop off in the water, a deep, dark cavern under the seafloor where there was certain to be a monster catch laying in wait. Roku let out an, "Aha!" When he found the spot and he turned around to talk with Jirou before they began fishing. Roku wanted to explain the purpose of his training. He didn't want the kid to think that the Blue Tailed Beast was just casually meandering around the water looking for a big catch. He was casually looking for a big catch, but there was a method to Roku's madness. The shark skinned man twirled his fishing pole around him and then positioned himself right in front of the drunkard.

"Alright Jirou, I bet you're wondering what's going on. I'm here to help you, so let me explain what we have been doing." Roku crossed his line into the water behind him, the deep blue trench sitting below him. "Obviously rowing the boat was a test of your endurance. You did terribly, in fact, don't tell anyone about that. For the record I know a jutsu that can push the boat much faster, but I wanted to see what you are made of. Which is apparently booze." Roku let out an uneasy laugh. He wasn't sure if Jirou's substance abuse was going to be good for him as a samurai. If this was all it took to get him to drink, he probably wouldn't last too long on the battlefield. Roku pushed his worries out of his head and continued speaking. "And obviously thee walk to the trench was a test of your basic Ninjutsu skills. It's not easy to walk on choppy water like this, and you managed to scare all the fish away, but you did make it this far, so good job. Now," Roku quickly turned around and hoisted his pole high into the air. He hooked a fish already and began reeling it in. As he did so Roku continued to speak.

"Now, we are going to try our hand at fishing. Consider this a test. I want to see your level of patience, and critical thinking. I'm going to teach you how to use Hide- the fishing pole." Roku pulled in a small sea bass. He frowned and turned back around to Jirou, with the fish in his hand, now off the hook. "You're going to throw the hook by hand, as far as you want. Then when you feel a tug, pay attention, this is important. When you feel a tug jerk the pole upward, HARD. Real hard, jerk it like you have never jerked a pole before. Then when the fish starts swimming off you want to grab the line, careful not to cut yourself, and reel in one arms length at a time. Be patient. Remember this is a test. If you can pull in something bigger than this for lunch I'll be impressed."

Roku waited for Jirou to respond to him.
OOCShow
WordCount: 899
Training:

(400/400)
*Raiton • Bright Bolt
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the correct hand seals the user will extend two fingers toward a target. A bolt of lightning will jump up to 10 meters from their fingers at [Control] Speed and Strength.

(400/400)
*Raiton • Conductor
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the correct hand seals, the user will coat a weapon they are holding in Raiton electricity for 5 posts. This causes the shock effect to be produced on any contact with a target, while also granting blunt weapons the ability to cut through skin to produce shallow wounds. This also works for thrown weapons, however if the projectile remains out of contact with the user for more than 2 posts the technique will dissipate early.
Last edited by King of Cats on Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drak

Gone Fishing

Post by Drak » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:44 pm

Jirou jumped to his feet.

“I’m fine! I’m calm!” he shouted, obviously flustered. “If I’m gonna fish I need a fishing pole. I was going to make one from the Kisama brass.”

Jirou held out his arm and produced a tapered brass stick which somewhat vaguely resembled a fishing pole with no line. Putting his fishing pole (if you could call it that) over his shoulder, Jirou strode confidently over to the edge of the boat. He peered over the edge into the blue-green ocean. He had done some water walking exercises in the academy, but it wasn’t a skill he had spent much time cultivating since then.

Focus your chakra to your feet. Move it with the water. Don’t use too much or you won’t be stable. Don’t use too little or you’ll get wet.

Jirou took a deep breath and began to channel. Stepping up onto the very edge of the boat with one foot, he took another look at Roku, then moved his gaze back to the water and stepped in. Jirou felt his foot begin to sink into the water, and pushed more chakra to his foot. As it stabilized, he vaulted his other foot onto the water’s surface. Jirou wobbled with the water’s current, but he managed to stay above water. He took a halting step towards Roku. Then another. The unfamiliarity of the situation made him wobble, but to Roku it probably seemed like it was the booze. Jirou followed after Roku, splashing the water with each step.

When Roku called out, Jirou ran to catch up and looked around. It looked like any other stretch of open water until he looked down. There, he could see the outline of a deep, underground cavern stretching across the ocean floor like a giant scar.

“Oh wow!” he muttered. He hadn’t spent much time on the water, much less time on the water like this, so a sight like this was completely new to him. As Jirou stared at the depths in wonderment, Roku started talking.

Jirou blustered when Roku said he had done terribly at rowing. When he said that Jirou was made of booze, his anger boiled over.

“Hey!” he shouted. “I just needed something to let me use the brass. I didn’t even drink that much!”

Jirou calmed down as quickly as Roku moved on to teaching him how to fish. He grimaced obviously at “hide the fishing pole.” Again, his father’s words echoed through his mind, but since Roku was holding a fishing pole, he thought it a pretty safe bet that Roku was talking about an actual fishing pole and not anything else. As Roku handed him the pole, Jirou sucked the not quite fishing pole he had made back into his body and grabbed Hideyoshi. He felt a tingle of energy pass through him the moment his hand touched the bamboo pole.

What the hell was that?

He did as Roku suggested. He moved slowly and awkwardly at first, being extra careful not to skewer himself on the hook. Once he had a firm grasp on it, he threw the hook as hard as he could, aiming for just over the underwater ravine. Then, he waited. Jirou shifted his weight around a little bit, doing his best to adjust to the ocean currents below his feet. With his concentration now on the rod in his hands, Jirou felt himself sink a little into the water. He was able to recover before the water reached his ankles, his chakra propelling him back up to where the soles of his feet rested on the surface.

Several minutes passed.

“When are these stupid fish going to bite?” he grumbled, clearly getting impatient.

Another minute passed, and Jirou felt something tug on the rod. He heaved with all of his strength, pulling up like he would bring a sword above his head to deliver a blow. At the end of the line, Jirou could just make out the dark outline of something thrashing in the water. Keeping hold of the pole with his right hand, Jirou reached out and grabbed the line with his left to pull it in. He felt the thin line dig into the skin of his hand. As he felt his flesh start to slice, he channeled chakra into his hand and created a strong, thin layer of brass over his palm to protect it, and pulled the line in hard. He quickly channeled more chakra to his right palm to make a similar brass layer and pulled another arms length of line, bringing his catch closer and closer.

WC: 769 / 600 Strength +1

Extra Word Count: 27 + 5 + 1 + 52 + 169 = 254

Jirou Kisama

Hanzou Fukusha
IwaGenin#800080

King of Cats

Gone Fishing

Post by King of Cats » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:58 pm

When Jirou grabbed the fishing pole Hideoyoshi was awoke. The spirit had been plotting a dastardly plan ever since the begining, and Roku fell for it, hook, line and sinker. When the young boy grabbed the bamboo fishing pole he could feel the mysteries surrounding him come to a head. The Warrior of Fortune was planning to throw a wrench in Roku's training service one way or another. When he had done something similar to Suzuko Roku acted very out of character. For one he didn't talk to Hideoyoshi for several days, and more than that Roku went on strike. When Hideoyoshi angered the Blue Tailed Beast, Roku would simply abstain from using Yoshijutsu. That was what got to the spirit most, but Hideoyoshi had come to a certain conclusion. The spirit decided it was worth it, quantity over quality. As Jirou wrapped his fingers around the glowing fishing pole something miraculous happened.

Yoshijutsu was a delicate skill that involved using chakra to direct spiritual powers. These spiritual powers held presidency over the delicate Serendipity Field. The Serendipity Field was a zone around bodies, living or inanimate, that controlled the fortune of that thing. It was a mighty force to be reckoned with, and Roku had only jus t scratched the surface of Yoshijutsu. What Hideoyoshi had planned was far beyond the scope of anything Roku had witnessed.

With the fishing pole in his hands Hideoyoshi had completed the parameters of applying Yoshijutsu. All one needed to do was have had contact with the weapon and their seredipity field could be altered. As soon as Jirou grabbed the pole Hideoyoshi began working his magic. Without his host the spirit could only work so hard to change someones luck, but he had saved all of his energy for this one go. It was comletely unseen, but Jirou would be able to feel an ominous foreboding lurking over his shoulder as he casted out into the deep water.

Watching Jirou cast off with Hideoyoshi, Roku was reminded of his first time fishing with the spirit. The two of them were still getting to know each other and Hideoyoshi was particularly keen on the reality of having someone who planned to use him. Roku had caught a giant carp that day, enough to feed several families, or just one hungry harubushi.The Blue Tailed Beast had no idea just what Hideoyoshi was going to do to Jirou. He figured some strong waves while the boy reeled in his fish, or maybe another sneezing bout. At most Roku thought the boy might get shit on by some birds. What happened next completely shocked Roku.

As Jirou reeled the fish he had snagged into the shallower waters, he felt a sudden jerk back. The pole would nearly fly out of his hands as a mysterious force from the deep trench grabbed onto the hooked fish and pulled it back. The struggle would be great, but Jirou's bad luck would persevere as the giant squids tentacle overpowered him and the fishing pole flew out of his hands.

When Hideoyoshi went flying into the air Roku let out a scream. His deep voice let out a gutteral, throaty shout of surprise. The shining pole tumbled through the air, then hit the water and dived deep down through the water. The squids pulled it down, but the pole wouldn't stay down for long. The water that Jirou and Roku were standing on became realchoppy as the squid breached the water. It was 15 meters above the water, the squid was enormous. It's clear body turned black as the daylight pierced the squid's skin, and it's giant eyeball was just ten meters from Jirou. The rocky water had nearly drowned him, but he managed to stay up.

Roku had an easier time staying atop the water, but he was wet from the waist down. The giant squid was monstrous but Roku knew he could take it on with some help from his student. The Harubushi was about 12 meters from the squid, 2 meters behind Jirou. Roku started putting together hand seals to form a Great White Bomb and the Squid reached out with two tentacles. One of the suckered tendrils reached for Jirou. Roku decided to try and protect him and quickly altered his handseals for the Great White Shark jutsu. Roku created the shark and sent it to attack the tentacle that was about to grab Jirou and pull him under, but that was when another tentacle came from below Roku and grabbed him. The tentacles wrapped around the Blue tailed Beast's entire body and pulled him down.
OOCShow
WordCount: 770

Drak

Gone Fishing

Post by Drak » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

“Hey come back!” Jirou shouted as the pole slipped out of his hands. He turned his head to face Roku with a look of apologetic shock written across his face. When the squid breached the water’s surface, Jirou’s expression turned to horror. He traced the path of the squid’s gargantuan eye through the air as it arced back into the water. The squid’s re-submersion let loose a torrent of water. Jirou was just barely able to keep his feet on the water as the wave washed over him, soaking him from head to toe.

When the squid sent two of its tentacles towards the pair, Jirou drew his sword and braced himself. He had seen Roku making hand seals, but he was still a little surprised when Roku created a shark out of the water around them and sicced it on the tentacle coming towards him. He saw the shark hit the tentacle and bite onto it. The force of the shark’s impact and the pain of the bite were enough to shift the tentacle’s trajectory. Jirou glanced behind him just in time to see Roku – just ensnared by a tentacle – be pulled under the water.

“Roku!” he cried out, looking down into the water his sensei had been dragged into. He couldn’t see much through the murk and bubbles. Roku’s sudden disappearance distracted Jirou, and he didn’t see the tentacle coming back around. He just felt something that felt like a huge, slippery rubber tube strike his back with a tremendous force. With a yelp, Jirou fell onto the water’s surface, almost losing his grip on his sword. A better-trained chakra user than Jirou would have had a hard time staying atop the water off their feet, so Jirou crashed through the surf. Luckily, he gulped in a mouthful of air as he fell.

Jirou forced his eyes open. The salt water burned, and he instinctively closed them as soon as it hit his eyes, but he forced them open again. He couldn’t see much, so he twisted his body around. As he turned, he caught sight of Roku. The shark man was not far off at all. Jirou kicked his legs out behind him and swam over to the tentacle which had ensnared Roku. He swung his sword at the sinuous tube, but the water slowed down his swing to the point that the blow only made a small slice on the creature’s skin. Jirou sheathed his sword. He knew he would need to come up for air soon, but he wanted to help Roku if he could.
Jirou saw his brass palms and remembered Roku’s advice to him when he was reeling in the line. Don’t cut yourself on the line. Jirou wrapped his legs around the tentacle, and did his best to extrude a thin wire from his wrist. He circled it around the tentacle and pulled. Much like with his sword, he saw it cut into the beast’s skin, but not much deeper than that. With one last pull, the wire snapped. Jirou really focused and began to push out another wire, this one much thinner. His lungs and eyes were burning as he wrapped this wire around the tentacle and pulled. This time, he felt the squid’s rubbery flesh give way. Jirou squeezed his eyes shut and clenched his jaw, pulling as hard as he could. Then, rubbery flesh gave way to water. Jirou opened his eyes and saw blackish blood pouring out from where the tentacle had been attached. The squid was thrashing, and without more tentacle in front of him, Jirou was thrown off.

As much as he wanted to help Roku, he knew that if he didn’t go up for air, Roku would end up needing to protect his unconscious body. Jirou kicked his legs and pushed his arms upwards, pushing the water away behind him and clumsily making his way back to the surface, pulling the wire back into his arm as he climbed.
Jutsu LearnedShow
WC: 664/590
Extra Word Count: 256 + 74 = 330

[Ito • Garrote]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
The user grabs the wire by both ends and wraps it around the target, pulling the wire tight and slicing whatever is in the middle of it with [Strength] strength.

Jirou Kisama

Hanzou Fukusha
IwaGenin#800080

King of Cats

Gone Fishing

Post by King of Cats » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:50 pm

As Jirou worked hard to figure out a way to cut underwater, a skill valuable to any samurai, and save Roku, the Blue Tailed Beast watched him with a smile on his face.

Underwater Roku was not at the same disadvantage as his apprentice was. Roku could breathe underwater. He was very well equipped for the dangers of underwater. With a lateral line running down his spine, Roku was able to sense the presence of bioelectricity underwater. He could see quite clearly in the water, both with his eyes and with his extra sensory powers. Roku also had a powerful, blue tail to help him maneuver through the water. To be honest, Roku was more of a threat underwater than he was out of water. For this reason Roku created several water release jutsu, aiming to trap his opponent in large fish bowls. The squid was in more danger than Roku was, but that wasn't to be said for Jirou.

Underwater Jirou was at a real disadvantage. He needed to breathe air and could only stay underwater for a limited time. He also couldn't see so well in the brackish depth of the water. When Jirou cleaved his sword it was clear to Roku that he was a novice at underwater battle. Roku made a note to test Jirou further underwater. There was much training to be had by underwater fighting. Many swordsman were said to perfect their swing by slicing at tatami mats underwater.

Entangled by the squids tentacles Roku was dragged down, but he was not harmed. The might of his sharkskin was powerful and the squids strength wasn't enough to dislodge his scales. Roku seemingly went under with no fight. To be honest, he had planned this. Roku knew there was a saltwater beast floating in the river of Xincha. He had actually fought it before. This was a part of Roku's test. He knew the squid couldn't resist an easy catch on a warm summer morning. Roku had wanted to see what Jirou's resolve was like. In a life and death situation, how one behaved was critical to success. If Jirou ran from Roku, surely the boy was unteachable. That, of course, was not the case. Jirou was there to help Roku, but his help could only go so far.

When Roku ascended to the top for air, Roku began his escape.

In addition to protecting his soft, white flesh, Roku's scales were also very dangerous. The sharkskin had an abrasive, grinding factor to it. When applied with force, the sharp scales sliced and diced. Roku could barely move his arms apart, but he made just enough room to wiggle back and forth, agitating with his scales. As the squids flesh began to shred, it loosened it's grip and Roku was able to make his final motion. Now that he had more room to toque his body, Roku did just so. He twisted at the waist and dug into the squids tentacles with his razor sharp armor. Black blood spilled all over. Roku hated the smell of squid blood, but he was free and pushed off into the water with his tail.

The squid dove out of the water further, chasing Roku upwards toward Jirou. Two of it's ten tentacle were destroyed, but the beast had a lot of life in it. As Roku breached the water the squid smacked a tentacle at him. Standing atop the water now, Roku braced himself for the impact. He stood firm, like the beach to the tide. The squid smacked into him, but Roku wasn't moved. He remained in a horse stance, braced for any impact. He bobbed in the water a bit, but was able to remain unfazed by the squids attack. The squid on the other hand was totally town up and blood sprayed all over Jirou as the beast recoiled in agony.

Not missing a beat Roku began weaving together hand seals for his next jutsu. As he finished lightning began to crackle over top of his skin. Roku was covered in a lightning armament and standing on the water. The squid's giant eye was poking out of the water, about 20 meters from Roku. The blue Tailed Beast stared at it, and then he drew out of his pocket three shuriken. Roku flung them at the beast.

As Roku began his assault the squid reached out with one of it's tentacles to try and grab Jirou again. The giant, ugly tentacle had sharp, teeth-lined suckers on it and if it grabbed Jirou the boy would certainly become bloody.

In response to the squid attacking Jirou, Roku dived down into the water. The last thing that was seen was his thick, blue tail splashing down beneath the water. Roku certainly had a plan, but Jirou would need to stay alive long enough for the great Blue Tailed Beast to kill the monster squid.
OOCShow
WordCount: 817
Training:
(400/400)
*Raiton • Lightning Armament
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After the correct hand seals are performed, the user coats themselves in a thick layer of lightning. This armour of lightning forms near instantly and requires [Control] Strength to break. During this time, the user's physical strikes apply the Raiton shocking effect.

(400/400)
*Raiton • Stun Gun
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the correct hand seals, the user will channel Raiton chakra to two of their fingers. They will then be able to fire up to three total bullet sized balls of concentrated lightning from their fingertips. These bullets will travel at [Control] speed, but will not have any physical force. Instead, they will apply light electrical burns similar to a sun burn and will apply Raiton's shocking effect.

Drak

Gone Fishing

Post by Drak » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:46 pm

As Jirou swam up to the surface, he could feel the reverberations of Roku’s struggle with the squid behind him. Every bit of samurai training in him wanted to turn his head to make sure nothing was coming up behind him. He resisted it by virtue of the primal survival instinct that told him that all he needed to do was take a breath of the fresh air just above the mirror-like surface of the water. Jirou could see the sun refracted through the sea’s currents and eddies getting closer with each coordinated stroke of his arms and kick of his legs.

Upon breaching the surface, Jirou’s first course of action was to gulp down air. His next was to get himself slightly higher in the water. As he tread water, he focused his chakra into his feet, and felt himself slowly rise up until he was standing on the turbulent surface. Through the foam and current, Jirou could see the effects of Roku’s fight with the beast: movement in the depths, turbulence echoing up to the surface, then, a black cloud expanding from the midpoint of the struggle.

Roku came shooting up from the water, forming the hand seals for a Raiton jutsu as soon as his feet touched the water. The squid came up soon after him. As the two did battle, Jirou made a series of hand seals and drew his sword. As the blade left the sheath, it began to glow red hot as flames leapt from its surface. For a moment, Jirou just stood and watched Roku fight the squid, wondering where he could even jump in. He felt like the nature of their arena made contributing near impossible.

He was shaken from his thoughts by another tentacle shooting out of the water at him. He moved to block it, but realizing that the thing’s mass would simply knock him over, Jirou tried to step to the side. He was late in doing so, and while he avoided being stuck by the tentacles, Jirou winced and cried out as the tentacle shot by his right arm, lacerating it with the tiny teeth on it.

Jirou jumped away from the tentacle and slashed at it. His heated blade did it some damage to the tentacle, and it withdrew from its strike, only to curve back around. Remembering how useful his wire attack was underwater, Jirou pushed out about three meters of razor sharp wire from his left hand, and tried to flick it at the incoming tentacle. Maybe he didn’t have the angle quite right, or maybe it just wasn’t fast enough, but Jirou watched in horror as the wire bounced harmlessly off the squid’s rubbery skin. As it got closer, Jirou stopped channeling chakra into his feet and fell into the water, raising his sword up above his head as he fell. Again, he felt the tip of his sword slice into the tentacle, but the damage to the squid was minimal.

When the tentacle had passed, Jirou channeled chakra back into his feet and shot up out of the water. His eyes were locked on the tentacle as it arced into a backswing. He thought back to something he had heard from one of the soldiers at his father’s restaurant, about how he could make a whip out of his brass and spiral it to catch enemies’ weapons. Jirou began to spin his length of wire, settling into a slight crouch. As the tentacle neared him, Jirou flung his arm out in front of him and watched in glee as the wire wrapped itself around the incoming limb. When it got even closer, Jirou jumped as high as he could, pulling his legs up under him to clear the tentacle as he pulled on the wire with his left arm.

For a brief moment, Jirou was pulled along by the wire, but when he landed back on the water’s surface he was able to get enough purchase to pull the wire taut. The length looped around the tentacle began to unwind itself at high speed, slicing into the squid’s flesh as it went. By the time all of the wire had unspooled itself, the tentacle was still attached, but it was severely damaged. With a smirk, Jirou spooled the wire back into his arm and ran over to back up Roku.

“Good thing I had that drink!” Jirou shouted as he neared his mentor.
OOCShow
WC: 740 / 590
Left over: 150

Jutsu Learned:
[Ito • Wire Trap]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
The user spins the wire before casting it out, creating a spiral of wire that can entrap weapons or body parts. The target can break themselves free by pulling if their [Strength] surpasses the [Strength] of the wire. If their strength does not surpass the strength of the wire, the entrapped object or limb will be lascerated with the [Strength] of the pull.

Jirou Kisama

Hanzou Fukusha
IwaGenin#800080

King of Cats

Gone Fishing

Post by King of Cats » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:56 pm

Underneath the water Roku swam as fast as he could. The Blue Tailed Beast was a great swimmer and he glided through the darky depths quickly. Roku dove down in the water and came up from underneath the squid. Positioning himself right where the beak of the beast was, Roku began spinning in the water. Violently spinning like a propellor under water, Roku began his assault with a fine layer of lightning shooting off from him. Roku swam forward and collided with the squids beak. It took a moment, just long enough for Jirou to fend off the deep sea creatures tentacle, but eventually Roku busted through the bony beak of the squid. Blood was everywhere and Roku was nearly sick to his stomac but he kept charging up through the squid. Roku ran up the pen of the squids head and eviscerated the flesh of the beast. Carving a hole through the soft tissue of the squid, Roku effectively killed it.

Still swimming through the water lodged inside the squids head, Roku blasted through the forehead of the beast. Blad blood and ink sprayed everywhere and Roku soared through the air like a dolphin. The Blue Tailed Beast collided with the water once again and then washed the black blood off of his clothes in the water. As he cleaned himself off the squid began lifelessly rising to the surface of the water. It was absolutely enormous and it's tentacles ran for at least twenty meters down the river.

As the water became further infected by the ink and blood of the squid, Roku came to the surface. He jumped out of the water, propelling himself by his thick, blue tail and doing a front flip. Roku landed just before Jirou, his new apprentice, and stood atop the water without any difficulty. He still had some black slime on him but he was mostly clean. Roku gave a shake, clearing the excess water from his baggy clothes and then said to Jirou, "Not bad, kid." Roku put up a strong thumbs up and smiled a fearsome grin. Roku was a charming man, a friendly gentleman even, but his shark teeth gave a wicked smile to his face.

"Very nice Jirou. You can swim, you can swing your sword. You can.. shoot wire out of your wrist. Very impressive. You made good use of your skills, you were quick on your feet, you proved to have skill in multitasking, very nice. That squid, Karamali, terrorizes fisherman in this area. It used to rule these waters before the the ride sunk. Ever since then it was relegated to this chasm. I'm the only one lucky enough to fish these parts, but I figured with the two of us we could clear it up for the fisherman. I tried to kill Karamali before. Tough with all those sickening, fucking tentacles." Roku shuddered. He despised tentacles. "You made perfect bait, kid. Good job. Your first trial went swimmingly." Roku chuckled, then he took a step back toward the boat. "Let's go. The fish will take care of that squid. Or, God forbid, a fisherman eats it."

Roku and Jirou walked back to the boat. It had drifted a ways, a byproduct of all the waves the squid had made, but it was still in relatively the same position as they had left it. The two of them hopped in the boat. Roku wondered how Jirou's chakra pool would fare against all the water walking. The boy wasn't all that great at it and truth be told it was surely taxing to constantly find your balance in the water. Roku didn't ask him how he was feeling though. The boy would have to tough it out, or otherwise pass out in the ocean and be carried home by The Blue Tailed Beast.

In the boat Roku didn't say anything to Jirou. He used his tail to slowly push the boat along. The two of them were headed further on down the river to a small island where Roku liked to have lunch. "We're going to my favorite spot. We were supposed to have lunch, but the squid attacked sooner than I expected." "No thanks to Hideoyoshi, I'm sure." Roku thought to himself and then did his best to look surprised. "That reminds me! Did you see where my fishing pole went?!" Roku was masking his frustration with Hideoyoshi by surprise that his fishing pole was gone. "When the beast pulled it out of your hand it went sinking to the depths of the chasm.. I guess we won't be eating today." Roku kept kicking with his tail, pushing the boat toward the island.

When the two got to the island Roku pulled his boat onto the shore. He didn't want it to get damaged by all the rocks that littered the shore, and it was his only boat for now.

On the island Roku led Jirou toward his little camp. There was a leather skin tent stuck up, with a recently snuffed campfire next to it. Roku walked over to the campfire and performed a short series of handseals. He spat a small lick of flame onto the charred wood in the fire and it immediately sprang to life, the fires ignited by a magical source. Roku walked over to Jirou and put his hands on his hips. "Well, take a break. I'm going to go look for my fishing pole. Maybe we can get something to eat yet, it all depends on my luck out there. I usually have good, great luck. Give me some time." Roku headed off toward the beach side to hopefully find his lost fishing pole.

After kicking sand around for about twenty minutes, Roku decided tog etc serious. He put together more handseals and began altering his Serendipity Field. Roku's luck began changing and he could feel the rush of good fortune flooding his body. He closed his eyes and walked on down the beach blinded.

As Roku was looking for his fishing pole a fish down at the bottom of the chasm was racing toward the top with Hideoyoshi in it's mouth. The fishing line had snagged the fish and it was running for it's unintelligent life from the sharp pain in it's gill.

As Roku walked with his eyes closed about ten minutes passed by, and by some unforseen stroke of luck the fish breached the water. Flying up into the air the Fish tried to shake the fishing hook out of it's gills, only to be snatched out of the sky by a golden eagle.

Roku had walked another ten minutes with his eyes closed and suddenly opened them. As he did so the golden eagle soared past him, dragging the fishing pole behind. Roku had lightning quick reflexes and shot his hand out to grab the pole. As his fingers went around Hideoyoshi he jerked the pole down and pulled the fished out of the eagles talons. "Lunch is here."

Roku headed back to the campsite with his fishing pole, and a fish, in hand.
OOCShow
WordCount: 1190
Training: +1 Willpower
Last edited by King of Cats on Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drak

Gone Fishing

Post by Drak » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:56 pm

Jirou watched in awe as Roku punched a hole through the squid with his body. He was suddenly filled with respect and admiration for his new sensei: Roku was the person he wanted to learn from. When Roku emerged from the water in front of him and started complimenting how he had handled himself, Jirou broke out into a huge grin.

“Hell yeah! We made that squid our bitch!” Jirou shouted. “I didn’t even know I could do the thing with the wire. It came in handy for the tentacles though. I’ll definitely have to train with that more. Imagine, a sword in one hand and that wire in the other!”

The boy stammered for a moment, his enthusiasm shining through clearly.

“And you! That was amazing how you just… punched straight through that squid! How did you even do that? Can you teach me to punch through a squid?”

Jirou went on like that for a little while as the pair walked back to their boat, bobbing and rolling on the turbulence caused by their struggle with the giant squid. This was his first time in real combat like that, and despite his drained chakra and tired muscles, his adrenaline was enough to keep him going. It wasn’t until he felt the comparatively solid ground of the boat under him again and could stop putting out chakra constantly, he realized how tired he was. Jirou slumped onto one of the boat’s rowing benches and rested for a moment. He closed his eyes and felt the sun’s warm rays on his face. Roku asked if he had seen his fishing pole.

“No, last I saw it was in the squid’s mouth,” Jirou replied. “Do squids have mouths?”

When Roku told him that meant they wouldn’t be eating, Jirou’s slump turned much deeper until he was practically on the boat’s floor. As Roku started propelling them forward with his tail, Jirou picked himself up, grabbed an oar and started rowing, pushing through his exhaustion. In all honesty, his contribution was probably minimal if he was contributing at all, but he refused to look like a slacker in front of Roku.

When they got to Roku’s camp, Jirou poked around a little bit. Other than the leather tent (which smelled terrible) and the campfire there wasn’t much there. Jirou was feeling useless waiting. He reached back into his bag, retrieved the booze jug and took another sip from it.

Damn, that was insane. I hope I can get that strong one day. Jirou thought, laying down on the ground. I thought I was doing great with how I cut that thing’s tentacles, but next to Roku I'm nothing. He killed that thing with his body alone.

Jirou could feel a certain resentment rising in him. He knew this feeling well: it was the same one he got when he saw how much better his brother was at manufacturing, or his sister was at cooking. He tried to push the feeling down. He was here to learn, he knew that, but he still couldn't help but feel inferior.

Might as well do something. Getting up from the ground, Jirou focused some energy into his right arm and transformed it into a large ax, well capable of felling a tree. Poking around some more, he found a tree of around the size he needed. Felling it took a little while, but as it came crashing to the ground Jirou focused on his arm again and it went from ax to saw. From the chopped edge, Jirou cut two large roundels of wood and rolled them over to the campsite, placing one on either side of the fire.

There, two seats!

Jirou sat on one of the makeshift stools and began to produce long, thin skewers of brass, perfect for skewering a fish. Finally, as he saw Roku returning, Jirou thought to share the booze he had brought along.

Should make some cups. Well, I guess I don’t need to: my crafting isn’t quite up to snuff for something like a cup. We could just drink from the bottle… ew, no. That would be like kissing Roku. I’m not about that.

Jirou held out both of his hands in front of him, determined to at least try. A ring of brass appeared on each palm, and slowly grew longer. After they had gotten a few inches tall he closed off the bottoms. They were a little lumpy and uneven, and would probably wobble intensely if placed on a flat surface, but they would suffice to share the drink without sharing the bottle too.

Looking back over at Roku, Jirou’s eyes lit up when he saw that Roku not only had his pole back, but that he had caught a fish with it as well.

“Alright!” Jirou cheered. “Let’s get that fish cooking!”

He held up some skewers in one hand, and a cup in the other.

“I made a couple things for us: chairs and cups and skewers. Let me know if you need anything else to cook that fish up. I can try and make it.”
Jutsu LearnedShow
WC: 843/840

~Oudouchi 🔩 Fuyubushi's Tools
C-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
By focusing their blood to their hands, the Kisama clan member will turn one or both of their hands into a simple weapon of their choice, ranging from small daggers to full-sized war hammers, but no greater than [strength]/2 meters in size.
Last edited by Drak on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jirou Kisama

Hanzou Fukusha
IwaGenin#800080

King of Cats

Gone Fishing

Post by King of Cats » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:18 pm

Holding Hideoyoshi by the pole, straddled over his shoulder, Roku looked up at Jirou happily. He was glad to get the spirit back in his hands. It was undeniable that the bond between Hideoyoshi and Roku had grown over time. Roku was able to cast Yoshijutsu without being in possession of the fishing pole, something he once would have considered impossible. In his hands Hideoyoshi felt relief too. The spirit desired to stay close to Roku. His host was necessary for the spirit to function in the world of the living, and Hideoyoshi had a strong desire to do such. The spirit was bound to this world by more than just his desire to change the world. Ancient magics bound Hideoyoshi to Roku's body, and these magics were begining to reveal themselves in subtle ways.

As Roku was holding his fishing pole the spirit of it spoke to him through telepathy. "Roku, you feel it, don't you?" Hideoyoshi appeared in Roku's mind as he usually did. The spirit was in the form of a hand axe, stuck in a single tree. The tree looked to be lit up by a spotlight, and as Hideoyoshi spoke the light grew brighter. "Our bond is deeper than you might think, Roku. When I was a part from you, you used Yoshijutsu to find me. Very impressive, samurai. I think it is time I tell you about the secret of our bond." Roku kept quiet. He didn't like to disrupt Hideoyoshi's train of thought with questions. The spirit was a crotchety bastard. "Now, as you know: I am a Warrior Spirit of Heart. I am bound by my honor to serve our nation, and I am bound by ancient magics to remain in this world of the living. In order to maintain a manifestation of my spirit, I require a host. This is similar to the state of a Jinchuuriki of the 10 genma. Unlike those Genma however, I was never sealed inside of you. Instead you came up on me and the synergy of our chakras allowed you to wield me, and you proved to be able to manifest me willingly. Very impressive, but what I have to tell you next is much more impressive."

Hideoyoshi suddenly morphed the image of a hand axe in a tree into the form of a warrior. It was hard to make out details but the warrior seemed to be a man, and he was tall. The man began speaking, in Hideoyoshi's voice. "Your ability to use Yoshijutsu without me is a result of our chakra's fusing together inside of your body. Over time my presence caused your body to leak chakra, and in order to restore your natural balance your body absorbed some of my chakra while you took back in the leaked chakra. We are in the process of becoming one. I would say you are about 50% of the way to becoming a complete Jinchuuriki. Of course, without a seal to store me into your body, we will probably never reach a level of mastery comparable to what the Genma can produce." The man began glowing gold. "By drawing on my chakra you can access abilities unique to our bond. I don't know what powers you will unlock, but I do know they will grant you immeasurable power. I understand you intend on training Jirou further, use him to learn of our power. Tap into my energy Roku."

Hideoyoshi didn't elaborate on it, but he was definitely hinting at Roku that he wished for the Shuryo to become a proper Jinchuuriki. It wasn't clear to Roku, but Hideoyoshi needed to be sealed inside of someone compatible. His last host backfired on him and Hideoyoshi was cast out into the world randomly. It was by luck he found Roku, and it would be by effort that he stayed with Roku.

The Blue Tailed Beast was still smiling at Jirou. The conversation had only lasted an instant, but so much had been said. Roku had so many questions, but he didn't have the time to dedicate to the spirit. Jirou was right in front of him and he was ready for a well deserved meal. Roku simply nodded at Hideoyoshi and then spoke to his apprentice. "Today, we FEAST!" Roku had a devilish grin strapped to his cheeks. He was excited in more ways than one. Besides getting the spirit back, Roku was very excited to have such an astute student. Roku thought it was very wise for Jirou to make cups and other tools for the campsite. Jirou was the kind of kid that Roku wished to see among the youth.

Roku walked over to his student and flopped the fish on the ground. He grabbed a kunai from his utility belt and bent down. Roku hovered over the fish and grabbed it by the gills. He dug his kunai into the guts of the fish and ripped the intestines out. "We don't eat that.." He said quietly and heaved the guts into the water. It was a long throw.

As Roku cleaned up the fish and procured the fillets he spoke to Jirou candidly. "So, a little about myself. I'm married. I've never caught a trophy fish. A lot of my life is about fishing. I catch fish. I sell fish. We eat fish." Roku looked up at his student and gave him a big grin. "I grew up in the country studying how to use my fishing pole in combat. When I got good enough some wandering samurai picked me up from my small village and took me to Xincha. From there I became a wandering ronin myself. I traveled the nation, protecting our countries from evil and fostering good relationships with the people and samurai. Eventually I was promoted and I've pretty much been doing what you saw today, ever since."

Roku tossed the fish carcass into the water and presented two filets to Jirou. They were quite large and white. "Cod." Roku said to Jirou and then handed him the fish. He went over to the fire and performed a few handseals, then he shot out a small fireball into the fire. The fireball hit the grill rock that Roku had positioned in the center of the fire. The temperature quickly rose and the rock turned white. "Throw em on, Jirou." Roku was smiling as wide as ever, his dagger teeth menacingly poking out from his lips.
OOCShow
WordCount: 1,087
Training: (1,000/1,000) +1 Willpower

Return to “Tea Country”