Into the Depths

Akito, Himurama, Raizou, and Itoshii

Drak

Into the Depths

Post by Drak » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:53 pm

It was late afternoon in the Land of Fire, and Akito and his party stood on the edge of a cliff that overlooked the sea of trees that made up so much of the country. Off in the distance, there was an area of forest that could generously be called a clearing. In actual fact, it was less a clearing and more an area of suspiciously younger growth trees than the ones surrounding it. Sheltered by these young trees were the ruins of some ancient building, most of the exterior structure having crumbled into rubble long ago.

Akito stood near the edge of the cliff, his right hand holding his chin, his left hand moving around in the air, as if placing pieces on an invisible shogi board. The veins around his eyes were bulging out, making it obvious that he was using his Bykugan to gather intelligence. Akito was pushing the limits of telescoping and penetrative vision, attempting to zoom in on the ruins obscured by trees as they were.

Not much in the way of defenses on the outside. I can see a few figures patrolling, but nothing too intense. Based on their gait and the regularity of their patrols, those are likely some of the zombies Kokou warned me about. This seems like a much smaller force than we had anticipated based on our limited intelligence. Either the vast, vast majority of them are underground, or this will be a much easier mission than we had anticipated.

As his eyes scanned the ruins, Akito’s gaze fell across a building that had the ruins of a staircase leading down. He carefully followed the stairway down, trying his best to carefully adjust how far his vision was zoomed in to see where the stairs went. After following the stairs down a little ways, he could just barely see that the stairs eventually let out into a large underground room. Akito tried to see more, but his vision was getting blurry, and he could feel a strong and growing ache behind his eyes. He tried to push through, but had to relent. With a wince, Akito’s eyes clamped shut.

He turned around to face his squad, rubbing his closed eyes with the tips of his fingers. When he opened them, it was apparent that his Byakugan had been deactivated. Able to see again, Akito looked over his squad. There were four other members. First was Senju Himurama. He was a prodigy of the Senju clan, and was not only a jounin, but a decorated veteran as well. The University had had its eyes on him for a little while now, and he had agreed to come on this mission. The two had played shogi a handful of times

Next was Awai Raizou. He had sought out the University, and this mission was a sort of test of his mettle. He was still only a chuunin, but he was a strong one, and his Hiton would surely come in handy in the dark catacombs they were soon to descend into.

The other two members of the squad came as a pair. Ikigai Itoshii was a child refugee from Suna, currently in Konoha. The University had become responsible for his continued education. Akito was not the one responsible for him normally, but his regular teacher had asked Akito to take the boy on this mission to give him some practical experience. The child was supposed to be a prodigy at Kuuton. Along with Itoshii there was his bodyguard, Izumi, a special jounin. All Akito knew about her was that she was supposed to be skilled at Taijutsu and Kuuton, and that she turned a few heads at the university.

“Our target lies in that area of low growth just under two kilometers to our West,” Akito said, pointing to the region he had just been surveying. “From my surveillance, I was able to determine that the area is relatively lightly guarded. A dozen hostiles – most probably zombies – at most. Near the center of the ruins there is a structure which is still partially standing. In the center of it, there is a staircase which goes deep beneath the earth and into the catacombs we will be searching for our target: a lost, forbidden jutsu scroll made by the Yamanaka clan.”

Akito undid one of the pockets of his flak jacket and produced a roll of paper, which he unrolled, then unfolded to reveal an architectural diagram.

“Research in the Konoha archives and previous scouting missions have let us put together these partial plans of what we believe the catacombs to look like. I was able to confirm that the stairs let out into a large chamber with several outlets, which match what we see here,” Akito held his finger up to the map’s center, where a large chamber with several branching passages was denoted. “Given that these plans are incomplete and may have changed, we should exercise the utmost care while underground.”

Akito reached his other hand into the pouch that hung at his side and pulled out a small box of chalk.

“With that in mind, we should be diligent in marking our paths through the catacombs. Each of you, take some chalk. There are enough colors for each of us to choose one. If we are separated, these will come in handy in helping us track each other down. Additionally, if we encounter any traps, we can mark them with these.”

As the members of the party chose chalk colors for themselves, Akito continued his briefing.

“I suggest the following course of action. We do not not know how well the missing nin controlling these zombies can sense through them. Therefore, I recommend we sneak past the guards and try to get into the catacombs undetected. If we were to fight the patrols above ground, we may find ourselves swarmed by a horde from below. In the open, their numbers will be a huge disadvantage for us, and even if we were to defeat them, it stands to bring us little closer to our final objective. Underground, we can channel large groups into chokepoints and can get much closer to our objective with less combat.”

“As we make our approach, we will take a modified wedge formation. I will be on point, behind me will be Himurama to my right, and Raizou to my left. Itoshii will be between them, and Izumi will be behind him. When we arrive at the entrance to the catacombs, we will switch to a file formation. We will be unable to rely on light sources down there, so Raizou will take point: with his Hiton, he will be able to both light our way and easily take care of any single zombies we encounter. I will be behind Raizou, ready to support him. Itoshii will be behind me, in the center of the formation, and Izumi will be behind him. Himurama, you will cover the rear. Once we are able to survey the antechamber in the catacombs, we can reconfigure ourselves appropriately.”

Akito looked over his squad, making eye contact with each member in turn.

“Any questions?”
Jutsu TrainedShow
WC: 1195/800

~Byakugan: Telescopic Vision
A Rank Ninjutsu
By channeling a small amount of chakra to the Hyuuga's Byakugan, the clan member uses their doujutsu to zoom in like a telescope, allowing them to see much farther away. In doing so, the Hyuuga member is able to see up to 2 Kilometers away as though they were mere feet away. It should be noted that while using their telescopic vision the Hyuuga experiences tunnel vision, making it difficult to see their surroundings. This jutsu can be maintained as long as the Hyuuga channels chakra to their eyes.
Last edited by Drak on Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akito HyuugaKonohaJounin#008080

Jirou Kisama
Heart EmpireAkibushi#BF4000

Hanzou Fukusha
IwaGenin#800080

Joker

Into the Depths

Post by Joker » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:14 pm

Missions were never going to be easy, this much he knew. Raizou was once again on a mission with guys his superior, but in some ways younger than he was. He looked over his shoulder, and around; his sensory range was lesser than that of a matured Byakugan, but he wondered if it’d be worthwhile looking into improving it.

But he shook his head, it wasn’t time to get into pointless thoughts at this point in time, he had more important things to focus on. He paid attention to the brief, a necromancer? That was interesting, he’d yet to run into that kind of ninja. His yellow eyes looked around and back to Akito, he held his tongue until it became his turn to speak.

He took a gray piece of chalk, the same color as his personal light before tucking it away in his right leg pouch. He had no problems with any part of this plan, being in the position of providing lighting wasn’t something new to him. He looked to Himurama for a moment before a wry smirk made itself known on his face.

”I’ll be trusting you guys to watch the back of this poor lil’ chuunin lightbulb, alright?” He said with a lazy smile, before his expression returned back to seriousness. ”No questions from me, I’ll just prepare for whatever we might need. It should be safe to assume we’re away from any sensors.”

He sat back for a moment to allow the other members of the team to talk, there was the youngest amongst them, he had wondered about it on their way here but it wasn’t his place to talk about it.

He knew well enough that some kids out there were just monsters.

But since he was taking point in the catacombs, he could keep a good eye out for his comrades, and wedge suited him just fine. Raizou took in a deep breath before finally readying himself mentally.

”Actually, less than a question; I’m better at long range combat, so once we get into the fight, lets change up our formation, I can cover our rear.”
My thread
Characters
NameRankVillagePlotboardsSocalsStat Total
Awai, RaizouChuuninKonohagakure[S:0 A:0 B:0 C:1 D:0]3 140

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Into the Depths

Post by Taiga » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:51 pm

Himurama had been silent for most of their journey, instead putting more time into his observation of others. Though he had met Akito before and even partook in some shogi matches, the man was still a stranger to him compared to Raizou, whom which he had served a tour with during the great war. Even though he had been Raizou's superior and platoon lead in the campaigns in Dragon Country, he had learned a great deal from the older boy. They were now men- and Raizou was the sole man he placed absolute trust in on this mission.

Of a greater concern than his own fellow villagers however was the refugees of the Sand who would accompany them on this mission. Given all that had transpired and reports of the Wind Country Invasion- a small amount of distrust had been sewn in the young Senju... He had to remind himself that Taiga had told them was exactly what the enemy wanted... distrust among allies.

Reaching for the red chalk as Akito stated his plan the Jounin merely nodded. If anyone could hold the rear or be the vanguard it was likely him- the crimson leaf army. Deciding that it wasn't secret given the minor fame he had gained in the war, he decided it was okay to explain his abilities to the group.

"If we need to split up I'd ask you let me send a clone or two with each of you. While I'm not particularly more skilled than any other Jounin, what I do have is a kage-level chakra pool and the ability to make highly durable clones." he said as he blinked then looked to each person in the group, his gaze lingering longest on the Sunagakure ninja.

"I don't have anything near the range Raizou does unless you count me and my personal army lobbing things at people... but uh, I can definitely hold the rear even if it's an army we face." he said as he held up his bicep, winking as he grabbed hold of it with his other arm. He shuddered. "Unless it's an army of zombie kages or something... in that case we probably should give up while we're ahead."

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

hobnob

Into the Depths

Post by hobnob » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:12 pm

Itoshii and Izumi stood with the rest of the squad. Itoshii appeared to be in his own little world, moving around, looking around, taking it all in. Including the set of orders given to them by the Squad Commander. Izumi on the other hand was looking at every member of the squad in turn, paying attention, assessing, trying to figure out who they were and whether they could trust them. A moment later they were told to pick up a piece of chalk, and Itoshii dashed towards towards the pile and picked up the yellow one, storing it in his hip pouch. "I just beat people up!" the youth said at slightly higher than conversational volume. Izumi shook her head at his childishness, "Itoshii is a close ranged combatant, very useful in that department. I'm more of a long ranged support Kunoichi." she said as she looked at each of their squad members, but her words were mainly aimed at the leader.
KonohagakureShow
Senju, Noeru - Chuunin - A-Rank
IwagakureShow
Fukusha Kurai - Genin - D-Rank
KumogakureShow
Igarashi Ryoto - Genin - D Rank
SunagakureShow
Ikigai, Itoshii - Genin - D Rank - #C2B280

Drak

Into the Depths

Post by Drak » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:28 pm

Akito nodded along with the introductions and contributions of each, making mental notes of the requests and stated preferences of the squad for their university dossiers.

“In that case, Raizou, we can switch places when we descend. I will be on point, and you will be behind me. The formation will otherwise be the same. Himurama, the clones are a good idea, especially if we are separated or outnumbered. If either of those become the case, you should use your best judgment as to when and how to apply your clone technique.”

Akito thought for another moment.

“Remember, remain undetected as we approach and enter. Everyone get in formation.”

With a few hand seals, Akito turned and jumped from the cliff edge towards the canopy below. He gathered speed for a moment, then stopped accelerating. Invisible to the naked eye, a cushion of air had formed beneath him, slowing his fall to manageable speeds – a result of his Fuuton training in Aroma Country. When he landed on a bough of one of the trees in the forest below. He gave his squad a moment to catch up, then began his dash from branch to branch and tree to tree.

As they went, Akito reactivated his Byakugan, allowing him to see not only all of his squadmates (with the possible exception of part of Izumi’s head) but also any danger approaching from below.

I did not see any zombies in the trees, so this approach is our best bet.

Periodically, he stopped and with a single hand seal, zoomed his vision in over a great distance, scanning the ground ahead for scouting zombies, traps, or anything with the look of chakra about it. Each time, Akito gave orders to change their course slightly. Once they were at the edge of the clearing, they would have to descend to the ground level and sneak in that way.

When the party arrived at the last stand of trees before the edge of the clearing, Akito stopped everyone again, scanned the clearing, and addressed his squad.

“After this point, we will need to descend and make our way to the center of the ruins by foot. I have done my best to minimize the number of scouts ahead of us, but we must still be wary. Move quickly and silently. Do not be seen. I will keep my Byakugan active to see threats around us, but keeping us away from patrols is all of our responsibility. Now, descend.”

With that order, Akito began to walk down the trunk of the large tree they were in. On the ground, he made a series of hand seals and focused wind chakra into his feet. When joined by the remainder of the squad, he began to dart through the ruins, gliding quickly and quietly towards their goal.
Jutsu LearnedShow
WC: 470/400
Fuuton • Slowfall
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After doing the needed hand seals, the user creates a cushion of air underneath them, allowing them to precisely control the speed at which they fall. This jutsu can be cast mid-fall.
Jutsu UsedShow
Fuuton • Slowfall
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After doing the needed hand seals, the user creates a cushion of air underneath them, allowing them to precisely control the speed at which they fall. This jutsu can be cast mid-fall.

*Fuuton • Wind Skating
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the needed hand seals, the user is able to glide on air as if they were skating on ice. This allows them to move faster (+3 speed) but lowers their ability to translate force (-3 Strength). This doesn't allow them to fly, but rather to travel over things like land, water, and ice with greater ease. The user is only held several inches off of the ground. This Jutsu does not expire until the user’s chakra supply runs out or the user shuts it off. The fuuton passive is not applied in this technique.

Byakugan Doujutsu[/i]
One of the most famed doujutsu in the world, Byakugan is the bloodline limit of the Hyuuga Clan. When active, the clan member gains 360 degree vision and Penetrative vision, allowing the Hyuuga clan to see the Tenketsu of their enemies. Their telescopic vision can be activated via jutsu. As such, the Byakugan is capable of ability channeling, allowing the Hyuuga to activate their Doujutsu techniques without hand seals. It should be noted that while using their telescopic vision the Hyuuga experiences tunnel vision, making it difficult to see their surroundings.

Prolonged usage of the Byakugan is strenuous and requires a high level of endurance. The maximum operating time a user can utilize their Byakugan at a time is equal to their Chakra Pool stat divided by 4 rounded down, to a minimum of one post. Upon reaching the max duration, the stress of using their Byakugan to it’s limit causes a cooldown period of 1/2 of the duration time, to a minimum of one post. During this cooldown period, the Byakugan cannot be activated and attempting to do so will cause physical pain. Duration is based off total posts where the Byakugan is activated, meaning users can turn it on and off to have a shorter cooldown.
Akito HyuugaKonohaJounin#008080

Jirou Kisama
Heart EmpireAkibushi#BF4000

Hanzou Fukusha
IwaGenin#800080

Return to “Fire Country”