Darkness Hiding in the Woods

Trucro

Post by Trucro » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:53 pm

(A little warning: this is kind of dark. I couldn't find any specific rules outlining whether or not this should be fine or not, but I think it should be. Please let me know if there is a problem. Thanks :) )

Jeiku stretched his arm as he continued walking down the road. The roads in these mountains were winding, so as to travel around some of the rockier, and cliff-like areas. Jeiku didn’t mind; it was easier to walk this way, as the roads also tended to avoid steep inclines. He had actually been down this path before when he was a child; it had been nearly 8 years since he last came this way, however. The path was far from the village, roughly a two day walk, and Jeiku rarely had enough time to go hiking for multiple days. But by working a lot, he had awarded himself a five day break; long enough to travel this far and back before he would receive any more missions.

It was nice to have a break from training. Jeiku had been training himself very hard the past few months with few breaks. In fact, he had been training so hard that during a sparring exercise with one of his friends, he had cut up his arm pretty badly. His right arm was still wrapped in bandages, although it hadn’t bothered him for a few days now. He adjusted his glasses as he continued down the path. It was very peaceful; he could hear birds chirping, and bugs buzzing, something he didn’t always get during his time in the village.

The truth was, however, he wasn’t so far away from civilization. He had just passed through a small village at the base of this mountain roughly five miles ago. It certainly was small, but it was large enough to have a general store for Jeiku to restock, which was good considering his supplies had been running low. He reached backwards, feeling in his backpack for the beef jerky he had bought. Realizing he would need to stop and open his bag, he decided to keep walking; he’d eat later.

As Jeiku continued down the road, he heard something. He paused for a moment, and listened carefully. He couldn’t hear anything clearly, but there certainly was a high pitched noise he was picking up, something just a bit louder than the birds. He decided to follow the noise, taking a few steps before listening again. He continued this way for about five minutes before the sound came in more clearly. It was someone’s voice! Maybe it was a woman, or a young child. He couldn’t tell but as he came closer to the source, he could make out the words.

”Help! Help!” It was just this word, again, and again, with the same intonation. As Jeiku moved even closer, he could tell there were two voices; they were very similar, and so it was difficult to discern. But Jeiku couldn’t have been more than a dozen meters from them now. As he came within about 30 feet, he could see where the voices were coming from. There was what looked to be an old cave carved into the side of the mountain. Jeiku knew these caves well; after all, he had been exploring them since he was a young child.

This cave, however, appeared to be closed off; a pile of rocks blocked the entrance. The pile seemed unstable, and Jeiku concluded that it was likely newly formed. He walked up to the now closed entrance, and knocked on the stone. He listened carefully, and he could clearly hear the cries for help. By the sound of it, they were children; at least a couple, but no more. He knocked again, this time a little louder, and the cries stopped.

”I’m here… I’m out here,” Jeiku began a bit unsure of what exactly to say. “I’m going to help you get out of there!” He shouted as he began pulling the rocks from the highest points he could reach away. As he did so, several more rocks fell down, covering the area he was trying to uncover. Jeiku didn’t have time for this; if the children were in trouble, he would need to get in their much more quickly. Jeiku shouted to them again: “Stay away from the wall! I’ll get you out!”[/b]

Jeiku took a step back, grabbing his trident off his back as he did. He stuck his trident into the ground so it could stand on its own before making several hand seals. Once completed, his right hand began to glow blue with lightning energy. He grabbed the trident with his right hand, pulling it out of the ground and pointing it towards the closed off opening to the cave. In one quick motion, he released a bolt of lightning that smashed into the rocks. A puff of smoke rose from the rocks, and an opening about the size of chair was made. Jeiku quickly pushed the rocks he could aside, making the opening large enough to enter through. He moved in.

The cave was incredibly small; just a couple feet wide, and the ceiling was not nearly high enough for Jeiku to stand in. Bent over he could see two boys, one next to the other, covered in dirt and wearing hospital attire, as if they were patients. The children themselves couldn’t have been more than 10 years old. The first, closest to the entrance, had dark black hair and was very pale; he looked very sickly. The farther one was far livelier. He had bright brown hair and darker skin. Jeiku nodded to each of them as he spoke.

“What are you two doing in here? Come on!” He motioned to the hole he had made. Neither of the boys responded quickly, but after Jeiku grabbed the closer one’s arm, the two began to crawl towards him, exiting the cave. As they emerged into the light, Jeiku could see the children better. He was surprised, and horrified. The child who had been closer to him, the pale one, was missing both of his feet; instead, in their place, was a mess of dirty looking bandages. The other was not faring much better; while he had both of his feet, he was missing his right arm in its entirely, also seemingly replaced with bandages. Jeiku was taken aback, and physically took several steps away as he took in what was happening. “What happened to you guys?” He asked, his mouth wide open.

The child with feet stood up, and stepped forward. He nervously avoided eye contact, but spoke. ”Can you help me find my mom? The boy asked. There was a long pause where Jeiku tried to understand the request. Both boys had marks down their face as if they had been crying. Before Jeiku could answer, the same boy spoke. ”Can you take me home? Jeiku shook his head, trying to snap out of his thoughts.

”Uh, sure, little buddy. Which… where is home? Which way?” Jeiku asked. The little boy turned around, looking both ways before shrugging.

”I dunna,” he responded. Jeiku nodded to the boy with a perplexed look on his face.

”Well, I’ll just take you back to the village; it’s not far from here, just a few miles,” Jeiku said with a smile, trying to seem friendly. ”My name is Jeiku. What are your names?” he asked.

”My name is Baki,”” the boy replied, as if he had rehearsed it. Jeiku nodded before looking over at the other boy, who still hadn’t risen from the ground; but of course he hadn’t with wounds like he had on his feet. Jeiku looked back at Baki, raising his eyebrows. ”This is Harune. He’s my friend,” the young child responded. None of this seemed real. Jeiku felt as if he were in a dream, or rather a nightmare.

”Well, we should go as quickly as possible,” Jeiku said, trying not to sound worried about the boys’ injuries. He walked over to Harune ”Here we go,” Jeiku said as he hoisted the child up on his shoulders. Comfortably holding the child on his back, he headed towards the direction he had come from. He motioned for the other boy to follow him as best he could with Harune on his back. Baki got the message, and followed along. He walked on Jeiku’s left side so as to hold his hand with his one arm. This was difficult for Jeiku with the other boy on his back, but he managed through a mangling of limbs. They quickly found the path, and started heading towards the village.

”So, Baki,” Jeiku began, wanting to get information from the child without scaring him. Are you in school? He looked at the boy for only a second before turning back towards the path. He figured this would be something good; a normal question, because this was just a normal situation.

Yessss… I have school, Baki replied. But I have had vacation for a loooong time.” Jeiku narrowed his eyebrows. What did the child mean?

”Vacation, huh? That sounds fun! Where did you go on vacation?” He tilted his head as he asked. Baki grabbed Jeiku’s hand tighter.

”In the forest, vacation in the forest,” Baki replied, looking forward rather than at Jeiku.

”Vacation in the forest?” he asked. That wasn’t odd; Jeiku had often spent his vacation time with his father, hiking through the forests. ”Did you have fun?” Baki simply looked up at Jeiku, meeting his eyes for the first time, and shook his head back and forth vigorously, indicating a negative. ”No?” Jeiku laughed. ”And why is that?”

”Because,” the child replied, with the long pause that children often put after the word “because.” Jeiku almost thought that was the end of the thought until Baki continued. ”The doctor was mean to me.” Doctor? Jeiku thought to himself. Perhaps the child was sick, and that was why he had this unenjoyable vacation. Or maybe, Jeiku thought, there was something else going on. Jeiku’s senses as a ninja were bothering him, and he couldn’t stop himself from asking a following question.

”This mean doctor, was he mean to your parents too?”

”No…” the child replied. ”He never even met my parents. He just met with me.” Now something definitely fishy was going on; Jeiku was sure of it. Two missing children, with surgically removed limbs. This reeked of human medical testing. Jeiku was disgusted. But he didn’t want to dwell on it; not with the children here. He couldn’t think of anything to say, but soon Baki pulled on his arm, ending the silence. ”Do you have any food, Jeiku?” Jeiku smilled and nodded.

”I do! Do you like beef jerky?” Both boys nodded, with Harune’s head almost knocking against Jeiku’s. ”Alright then!” Jeiku said as he stopped walking. He dropped Harune down on a nearby boulder before dropping his own backpack on the ground. He pulled out the beef jerky he had bought, and handed a bunch to Baki before giving the rest of the bag to Harune. The two children dug in, eating all of his jerky within minutes. Apparently, they were very hungry.

It wasn’t long before they continued on their way to the village, Harune on Jeiku’s back, and Baki at his side once again. As they walked, Jeiku tried to lighten the mood. ”So, Baki, what do you want to do when you grow up?”

”I want to be a ninja!” Baki replied confidently and immediately. Jeiku smiled and chuckled.

”Oh yea? And why is that?”

”Because ninja’s are AWESOME!” the boy shouted, raising his one arm into the sky. ”Ninjas go like PCH PEW PCH!” Baki continued making explosion noises. … and then they save everyone!”. Jeiku laughed as the boy finished.

”I guess so,” Jeiku responded. He was beginning to like this child. ”And what about you Harune?” Jeiku asked. The boy didn’t respond vocally, only shook his head. Jeiku supposed the child didn’t like to talk; maybe he was just shy around strangers. ”I guess that means you don’t want to be a ninja, huh Harune?” Jeiku chuckled before Baki began speaking again.

”When I’m a ninja, all the bad doctors will go bye bye!” the child waved his good arm as he continued. ”Because I’ll kill them all of them!” Baki said without the pause that would have made this sound normal. Jeiku’s ears perked at the mention of the doctor again.

”This doctor,” Jeiku began. ”Have you known him for a long time or…?

”Nah! the child responded quickly. He was becoming more talkative. He must have been becoming more comfortable with Jeiku. ”Just a weeks ago.” he said, obviously missing a word. Jeiku didn’t correct him though.

”Mmhmph and where did you meet him?” Jeiku asked.

”In his home!” the boy replied happily, frowning up at Jeiku.

”And where is that?” Jeiku asked.

”It’s dark, and scary there… the child responded. Jeiku nodded as if it was an answer to his question.

”Right, of course it was,” Jeiku replied. ”And where was that again?”

”His house, in the forest,” Baki replied matter of fact-ly. Jeiku shook his head understandingly. He noticed as the boy released his hand to grab his missing arm, before beginning to slow down. Jeiku deduced what must have been happening; whatever pain kilelrs he had been on, the ones that made him able to be happy and talkative, seemed to be wearing off. It wouldn’t be long before Jeiku had two crying boys on his hands. They weren’t far from the village however, and a ten minute walk brought them to the small town.

The village at the base of the mountain was quite small; tiny even, with only about two dozen buildings. It didn’t take long for Jeiku to find the hospital. Hospital was a generous term for the building; it was really the local doctor’s office. As they entered, Jeiku stared down the doctor; was this the man Baki had been talking about? Jeiku watched closely as the doctor took the two boys, and sent a man out to bring their parents. Jeiku stayed with the boys until one of their parents arrived. The mother of Baki was a good looking woman, not ten years older than Jeiku for certain. She rushed over and hugged her child, tears in her eyes before she turned to Jeiku.

“Thank you so much for bringing him home! Thanks you…. Thank you.”. Jeiku nodded at the woman, trying not to smile at the sight of the reunion.

”Yes, of course. Anyone in my position would have done the same,” Jeiku said.

”Apparently, that’s not true,” the mother said. She looked Jeiku up and down before continuing. Seeing Jeiku’s headband, she asked ”You’re a shinobi from the cloud, aren’t you?” Jeiku nodded. ”Well, we appreciate all the work that you’ve done.. The woman hurriedly turned back to her child, but Jeiku reached out and put his hand on her shoulder to get her attention.

”Would you mind,” Jeiku began. “…if I asked you some questions?” The mother looked at Jeiku confused for a moment before nodding, and the two of them left the room. In the waiting room, which was empty, as it was just about night time, they spoke privately.

”Your son talked to me about a ‘bad doctor.’ I think he was referring to the man who did this to him. Do you have any idea who this could be?” The woman raised her hand to her chin, thinking for a moment before answering.

”No, I’m sorry. I can’t think of anyone. Our doctor here is very kind, and would never do anything like this!”. Jeiku nodded.

”Okay. How long has Baki been missing for?”

”Oh, I don’t know… I haven’t been sleeping well, and all the days sort of meld into one. It has to be a week since he first went missing.” Jeiku nodded.

”Alright, ma’am. Thank you.” Jeiku stood to leave, but the woman grabbed his arm.

”Are you going to bring his information back to Kumogakure and have them send a group o investigate?” The truth was, Jeiku had thought about it. But he convinced himself it didn’t make sense. By the time he got to the village and it could send a squad, this guy could be long gone. He wasn’t sure I this made sense, or if he was making the pieces fit to convince himself that he was right to go after this “doctor” himself.

”No, ma’am. But I promise you; I will personally get this guy.” Jeiku turned away again, but before he left, he spoke to the mother. ”You know, Baki was very brave through this whole ordeal. You’ve done a great job with him. Go to your son now; I’ll speak to you once I have news.” The mother stood, uttering a few “thank you”’s while running back towards her son.

Jeiku left the doctor’s office as several others entered; Jeiku assumed these people where other parents of the children, but he didn’t have time to speak with them. The moon was already high in the sky, and the last glimmer of light from the sun could be seen disappearing beyond the horizon. He thought about the kind of monster that could have done this to two children, and he forced the air out through his nose angrily. He knew one thing for certain; he would find this monster, and kill them.

He left the small town in a sprint, heading back towards the forest. The night time brought a new bout of cold air, but it didn’t bother Jeiku. This was why Jeiku became a shinobi; so he could help people with his powers, so he could stop monsters like this from ruining the world. He picked up speed as he ran.

He reached the cave within about an hour. The sun had already set, and it was dark, but Jeiku’s eyes had adjusted well, and he had had plenty of practice moving in the dark. While he was there, he noticed a set of footprints that didn’t belong to him or either of the boys. The doctor hadn’t been too far behind him, apparently. The children were lucky. Jeiku followed the tracks, but they weren’t very deep, and he lost them pretty quickly.

He searched the forest for more than two hours with no results. Finally, he came across a small wooden cabin, hidden beneath two trees. As soon as he did, he was confident he had found it. He removed his trident from his back, and walked up to the door. He placed the prongs of his trident inside the crack in the door, and heaved. The door popped open, as the pieces of a wooden lock fell to the floor.

As he entered, two kunai immediately flew at his face. He raised his trident, blocking the both of them. He was breathing heavy as he entered the room. It was a dark area, but the moon lit up the room well enough for Jeiku to see. There were books everywhere, and handwritten notes posted on the wall. Attached to the ground in the far corner of the room was a metal table, with dried blood on its side. A shelf above the table had jars containing different organs, as far as Jeiku could tell. The whole place stunk terribly, and Jeiku couldn’t stand it. He stepped outside, taking several deep breaths in before turning back. This man was truly a monster.

It was getting dark, but Jeiku was not getting tired. All he could think about was killing this guy. He sat in the bushes outside the cabin, waiting for this doctor to return. He thought about every way he would kill this guy; stabbing, perhaps, but that would be too quick. He could use his Raiton to electrocute the doctor again and again. He hated torture, but he didn’t care about his principles at the moment. His rage was too great.

He sat in the brush for two hours, and the doctor did not return. This man obviously had some shinobi skills; at the very least, some kunai and a very monstrous form of medical ninjutsu. Perhaps the man had already left the cabin, knowing that someone would be coming after him. Perhaps the doctor was watching Jeiku right now. He felt slimy just thinking about this guy.

Jeiku stood, emerging from the bush. He walked towards the door, and opened it once more, entering again and taking a last look at the area. He found nothing; nothing he could use to find this person. He opened the notebooks to find most of them empty. At the bottom of the pile was a small notebook that was filled from cover to cover. Jeiku took it and put it in his pouch. He then walked out of the building, but left the door open. With his back still turned to the cabin, he weaved hand seals. Once completed, his right hand glowed with blue lightning energy. He turned back to the cabin, releasing a shot of lightning into it. The building itself caught fire, and Jeiku spun back around, and began walking forward into the forest.

It took him two hours to find his way back to the town, and the sun was rising as he walked back into the limits. He was beginning to feel tired, but he was still too worked up to sleep. He headed to the doctor’s office to check on the boys. When he arrived, a group of people sat around a table in the waiting room, the doctor, Baki’s mother, and three other’s that Jeiku did not recognize. As he entered, one of the med he did not recognize walked up to him.

”Hey, you’re the one who brought my son back, right? Did you find the guy who did this?” Jeiku looked down at the ground and shook his head.

”I think I found where he did this, but he wasn’t there. I… I burned it down.” Jeiku sighed deeply. ”How are the boys?” As Jeiku said this, the woman he recognized as Baki’s mother began crying. The doctor stood and walked over to Jeiku.

”Neither of the boys made it,” he admitted, somberly. Jeiku’s eyes opened wide.

”How!??! How is that possible?!?! They were fine when I was with them!” Jeiku stepped back, his breathing picking up pace.

”I know, but they had ingested some type of poison that….” The doctor continued speaking, but Jeiku didn’t hear anything. Is ears were ringing; they were ringing so loudly. He felt like muscles in his head were tightening. It hurt, but he couldn’t raise his arms to grasp his head. He stopped breathing. Everything stopped. His vision became blurred as tears filled his eyes.

”How….” It was the only thing he could say, and he repeated it quietly under his breath. That was the only thing he could hear; it was the only thing he could think. He had no senses, nothing but that word.

Then, all at once, everything came back. He reach up, grabbing his head as it thumped. He began to breath rapidly, more rapidly than he could remember he had ever before. Tears began to fall down his face as the word grew louder in his head. He turned away, removing his headband for a moment. Taking several steps outside, he screamed as loud as he could.

He took off, running into the woods. After reaching a few meters into the dense brush, he removed his trident from his back and began swinging away at a tree. He swung harder and harder until his trident became stuck in the side of the tree. With his trident stuck, he began to weave hand seals. A flash of lightning was released into the sky from his hands, and then another as he screamed again. As he tried to do the jutsu once more, he slipped and made a mistake with the hand seals. He dropped to the ground, leaning against a tree.

Why? Why did he care so much about these children? They weren’t his. He didn’t know them. He hadn’t even heard of them until some 15 hours ago. And yet… this feeling. He had never experienced anything like it before. It was so pure, so absolute. If he knew one thing, it was that he would find this man and kill him. There was nothing else, there could be nothing else. He got his breathing under control, and drifted off into sleep.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He awoke some time during the day the next day. The sun was already high in the sky, and Jeiku assumed it was roughly lunch time. He stood up, stretching his back. Everything felt sore. Why was he so sore? What had happened the night before? And then he remembered. He felt a pit in his stomach, and his head hurt, but he slowly made his way to the town. After buying a small something to eat, he headed out, on his way back to the Cloud Village.

He said nothing to anyone else in the town; he did not speak to the doctor, he did not speak to the parents. He bought breakfast, and he left. He was done with this town; he was done with all of this. He needed time to recuperate, somewhere happy, and somewhere safe.
CharactersShow

Akiro Jouchaku; Jounin; Kirigakure No Sato #007AA5

Ryuu Genkouyoushi; Jounin; Iwagakure No Sato

Mako Notaramu; Jounin; Sunagakure No Sato

Inozu Yamanaka A-Rank; Missing Nin #AF2626

Trucro

Post by Trucro » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:15 pm

Whoosh! Jeiku rushed through the forest, jumping hurriedly from tree to tree. . He had been traveling for nearly five hours now, moving at a great speed. He would have to move quickly if he was going to make it to the next cabin by sundown. It had been only a week or so before Jeiku was able to manipulate enough space in his schedule for another personal mission like this one; finally, he could begin his hunt for this horrible doctor.

The book he had stolen from the previous cabin was still stuck in his back pocket, and he felt it every time he moved. The book had contained little information of obvious value, but after careful study, he found s list of notes in the front cover that seemed to denote coordinates. He had no idea of how to decide which to check out first, so he simply decided on the first on the list. That led him south and west of the Village Hidden in the Clouds, in the dense forests. He had less experience in these forests than he did in the mountains, but he was not generally uncomfortable in the area.

He wasn’t far from the first set of coordinates now, but the sun was getting low. He would prefer to meet this doctor during the daytime; it was easier for him to battle when it was light out, as well as harder for someone to ambush him. Furthermore, he’d rather have time to travel to the nearest town, which, according to his maps, was just a few miles away. If the doctor did have a base here, it would be the perfect distance for his abductions.

Jeiku was right; it was only a short travel before he came upon a small wooden cabin at roughly the coordinates written in the book. He felt a sense of pride, pride that he had been able to successfully decode the clues. This feeling was quickly overcome, however, with rage as he remembered the children this doctor had dismembered and killed. He forced air forcefully from his nose, sneering as he thought back. He walked up to the door, and grabbed the trident from off of his back. In one swift move, he kicked in the door.

The wooden lock on the door broke, splintering as the door swung open. Jeiku took a few steps in, his trident at the ready, looking around. This time, there appeared to be no traps set for anyone entering; perhaps this cabin was not abandoned. It was roughly the same size as the previous one. However, it was nearly entirely empty, save the red mark of blood which stained the floor, walls and ceiling. There was no operating table, like there had been in the last one, but there was a small wooden counter in the center of the room with several notebooks on top.

Jeiku walked over to the table and shifted through the books; they were nearly entirely empty, with just a few anatomical drawings that Jeiku did not understand. Having satisfactorily analyzed the books, Jeiku closed them and left them on the table, analyzing the walls of the cabin. In the far wall, he found a small metal wire, extending from it unnaturally. It would be invisible unless someone had inspected it closely. It could be a secret door, or something similar, Jeiku thought, and he pulled it.

BOOM! A trap door in the wall slipped around revealing several paper bombs. Jeiku jumped back behind the table, kicking it over to provide cover before the explosion. The force sent Jeiku as well as the table flying into the wall of the cabin, and Jeiku could feel the wall behind him give way as the cabin itself collapsed to the ground. Jeiku didn’t fully comprehend what had happened until he had laid in the wreckage for a short time. After a few seconds, he reached upwards, removing some of the debris from on top of him. Luckily, because the house was made of wood, there was little heavy debris, and Jeiku was easily able to emerge from the wreckage. He wiped himself off and assessed the damage.

He was remarkably healthy. Besides a few cuts and bruises, Jeiku had survived the explosion without injury; his bones remained intact, and he hadn’t lost any significant amount of blood. Jeiku was honestly shocked since normally he sustained the worst possible injury in battle. As Jeiku sighed, he reached into his back pocket, removing the notebook he had taken from the doctor’s first cabin. With a pen from his other pocket he crossed out the coordinates of the cabin that now lay on the ground in pieces.

Before he could leave, however, he began to smell something; it smelled like smoke. Something was burning! Jeiku turned to see the wreckage bursting into flames, with the fire quickly spreading to the surrounding grass. Jeiku turned to run. It was only then he realized that his headband was missing. He must have left it in the wreckage. But it was too late for that, now he had to run.

He began to move through the forest quickly, but apparently he hadn’t noticed his left leg had been injured a bit more than he thought. He had trouble moving quickly, but the fire was spreading quickly. It must have been some sort of special fire, Jeiku thought. Perhaps a jutsu meant to overcome other ninja. He tried to move faster, ignoring the pain, but it was too late. The fire had surrounded him, and the smoke was too much. He coughed heavily, and his vision began to blur. Jeiku dropped to the ground on his hands and knees, fighting unconsciousness. He tried to stand again, but was caught in another coughing fit, and fell to the ground. His vision was now completely gone, and he closed his eyes.

Jeiku woke up in something soft. He felt around before opening his eyes. He could clearly feel sheets, blankets, and his head was resting on a soft pillow. In fact, these sheets seemed to be the fluffiest, softest sheets he had ever been in. He rolled over on his side, his eyes still closed. He felt so comfortable; maybe he would just stay in bed all day.

It was only then that he remembered what had happened. He remembered clearly finding the cabin, and what the insides looked like. He remembered the paper bombs that exploded, causing him to get caught in the debris of the broken down house. He remembered the fire… perhaps the whole thing had been a dream. After all, he remembered receiving no serious damage; that was something that seems like it would happen in a dream. Jeiku reached down and felt his left leg. As he pushed on it, he felt a sharp pain. Nope; it must have been real. But then how had he survived?

Jeiku opened his eyes. The light overwhelmed him, and he rubbed his eyes for a moment before looking around the room. It was a nice room, roughly eight by five meters. The walls were made from thick wood, not unlike those in his apartment in the Cloud Village. The room was mostly empty, except for the bed he was laying on, a small table next to it, and a lamp on that table. Jeiku shook his head; he didn’t recognize anything. Where was he? He sat up, and turned to hang his feet off the bed. They quickly touched the ground; the bed was not as high as he had imagined.

Just then, the door to his room slide open. In the doorway stood a beautiful young woman. She was short, with dark, thick black hair, and pale skin. But Jeiku had never seen anyone like her. He stared at her for a moment, and she did the same before taking off away from the room. Now Jeiku was even more confused. He rose to his feet, and looked himself over. He was wearing a white robe, not his normal clothes. He had a bandage around his left leg which he hadn’t noticed before. Furthermore, his trident was nowhere to be seen. He shook his head; what had he gotten himself into now?

Jeiku reached up towards the sky, stretched. The light from a nearby window revealed it was daytime. His stomach growled, and he suddenly felt very weak and very hungry. He began to shift his way over to the door of his room, but when he reached to open the door, it swung open before he could.

Two men stood in front of him, both wearing dark blue robes very similar to his own. The first was very tall with silver hair and a pointed face. The other was slightly smaller, with dark black, pointed hair, and a scar across his nose. Both of the men towered over Jeiku, who was several inches shorter than the shorter of the two. Jeiku immediately noticed that both of them carried swords around their wastes. They must have been samurai.

This was cause for great concern for Jeiku. The shinobi of the Cloud Village had been at war with the samurai for some time now, and if they discovered who he was, they could certainly kill him, or maybe even try to ransom him. Jeiku nodded at the two men who refused to enter the room, remaining outside of the opened doorway. Jeiku considered fighting them, and trying to escape, but neither of them had shown any sort of aggression, and Jeiku thought maybe they were unaware of his true identity. The taller of the samurai motioned for Jeiku to step closer and he did. Neither of the men said anything, so Jeiku started the talking.

”Hello,” he began, but neither of the men responded. Jeiku tilted his head a bit. ”So can you gentlemen please tell me where I am? How did I get here?” Still, neither of the men responded.

”Come with us,” the taller man said. Jeiku took a step backwards, and the taller man reached for his sword. ”Alright, alright,” Jeiku said trying to calm the man. He walked forward now, and as he left the room bother men turned towards the right. The taller man, now to Jeiku’s left, grabbed his shoulder, and spun him around so he faced the back of the other man. Together, the three of them walked in this way, single file, away from Jeiku’s room.

They made their way through the hallways of the building, which were far longer than Jeiku had imagined. The house they were in must have been huge; some sort of large plantation or inn or something. After a minute or so, the group came to a stop outside one of the larger doors and slid it open. The inside of the room was large; the floors were made of wood, and creaked less than the floor outside the room. The walls were adorned with various articles. On the far wall there was what appeared to be a wolf pelt hung beside what looked like another robe. On the left wall, painted pictures of mountains and forests hung. In the center of the room sat a small table about one foot of the ground. On the far side of that table, and old man sat, staring at Jeiku. He had a long grey beard that appeared to be very thick despite the thin, stringy hair placed on his head. He wore a dark blue robe, darker than those of the other two who had lead Jeiku to the room, and he sat with his legs crossed. As the man recognized who had opened the door, he spoke.

”Hello there; thank you very much, Atori, Imaru. Please leave us.” He nodded to the two tall men that had escorted Jeiku there. The smaller began to leave, but the taller did not.

”But father! I can’t leave you alone with this rogue! What if he’s-” The old man cur him off.

”Do not worry Imaru, I will be fine, we are just going to have a talk. Now please, give us some privacy.” The taller man, Imaru, heard this and paused for a moment before angrily storming away. The older man sighed and motioned for Jeiku to come closer. Jeiku took a few steps closer before turning and closing the door behind him. He then walked up to the table, and sat down on the floor, across from the old man without saying a word. The old man nodded, and continued to speak. ”So, you’re a Cloud Shinobi, are you?” Jeiku shot a look that must have contained surprise because the old man responded: ”I’ve fought a lot of shinobi before; I know one when I see one.” Jeiku smiled. He didn’t know why, though; he was certainly in great danger. ”So, Cloud Shinobi, what is your name?”

”Jeiku,” Jeiku responded, nodding slightly as he did so. He felt odd, as he said nothing else.

”Well, it is nice to meet you, Jeiku. My name is Hakuru Hichito. I am the leader of the Hichito Clan.” Jeiku nodded again, although this time he did so in a little bow.

”Nice to meet you.”

”So, Jeiku: you must realize the predicament you are in. A Kumogakure Ninja, captured by samurai during a war like ours? You’d be lucky to make it out of here alive. I could have had you killed, Jeiku. And perhaps I should have. However, I decided that, when they brought you to me, you might be an honorable man. I have met some honorable ninja in the past; ones who have helped me a great deal. For their sakes, I thought I would give you a chance.” The man paused for a moment to take a sip from a tall class that sat on the table before continuing. ”Are you an honorable man, Jeiku?” Jeiku nodded to the man without saying a word. ”Good,” he responded. ”Because honorable men help each other, and I need your help.”

Jeiku furrowed his brow. He wasn’t sure he would be able to help this man with what he wanted. After all, if he asked Jeiku to betray the village, Jeiku would have to say no. In fact, Jeiku probably could escape at any time if he wanted to; his jutsu could easily overpower this man, and break through the surrounding walls. However, this man had save Jeiku’s life, and Jeiku was missing all of his weapons including his trident, which would have been tough to replace.

”What can I help you with?” Hakuru sighed as Jeiku said this.

”I don’t know how familiar you are with this area, but this town is run by two clans; my clan, the Hichito, and our rival clan, the Inpuzu. The Inpuzu, recently, have become far more brazen without the Cloud to hold them into line. They’ve been stealing food and other valuables from the town, and even abducting children!” Jeiku’s ear twitched. Child abductions? This was most likely the work of the doctor, and not the Inpuzu Clan. But Jeiku didn’t know; from what he’d heard, the Inpuzu could be working with the doctor. Jeiku continued listening. ”We have been fighting them for years now, and after some maneuvering we have taken for ourselves, a valued guest. That young woman, whom you must have met, she took care of you while you were out. She is the youngest daughter of the Inpuzu, and I intended to finally end our fighting by coming up with a compromise.”

Jeiku nodded along. He was following, but he wasn’t sure where exactly he fit into this, and what his fate would be. The old man took a deep breath, pausing before continuing.

”That is where I need your help, my boy. You see, we have a rendezvous tonight where the negotiations for this young lady, Aruia, are to take place. However, I do not trust the Inpuzu to act respectably. They outnumber us now, and I was hoping you could provide the extra muscle we might need should things go south. What do you say? You help us, and I will let you go free.”

Jeiku thought about the proposition before answering. He really didn’t want to get involved with this local clan matter, but he didn’t have much of a choice. His only other option was to fight his way out of the Hichito’s house, which seemed even worse than just helping them with this prisoner transfer. Eventually, Jeiku decided to help.

”I’ll help, but I’ll need my weapons; my trident, and my pouch.”

The old man clapped happily. ”Of course! We have a deal?” The old man outstretched his hand, and Jeiku took it, shaking it firmly. The old man smiled and stood, and Jeiku followed suit. As he did, the door behind him slid open. There stood the taller man again, Imaru. ”Imaru will take you to your things.” Jeiku nodded, and followed the man out of the room. Imaru led Jeiku through the long winding hallways again, and up a flight of stairs. As he did, something caught his eye. He saw, in the stairwell, a window that looked out over the nearby forest. Everything looked familiar, and that was good; Jeiku had probably passed the compound without really thinking about it. But that wasn’t why he was looking out the window.

A woman, wearing a navy blue robe sat out on the roof. He couldn’t tell who it was, but he had a good guess; he had never seen the back of her hair before. Jeiku motioned to Imaru to stop before walking over to the window, and pulling it open. Imaru scoffed, but Jeiku ignored it. He couldn’t have cared less what Imaru thought. Jeiku climbed out onto the roof, and sat next to the woman. He was right, it was the beautiful woman he had seen enter his room before: Aruia.

”Hey there,” Jeiku said as he sat beside the woman. He was able to get a better look at her now that he was so close. She truly was beautiful; her cheeks were rosy, and her nose fell perfectly on her face. Furthermore, she appeared to be roughly Jeiku’s age. “What luck!” he thought to himself. But what was he going to do about it? If history was any indication, probably nothing. ”So, you must be Aruia?” The woman barely acknowledged Jeiku, turning to look at who it was for only a second before snapping her neck back towards the horizon.

”And you must be that Cloud Shinobi,” she said, snarkily. Jeiku flinched at the words, but he wouldn’t give up.

”Yup, that’s me!” Jeiku chuckled. ”But what are you doing up here?” Aruia didn’t answer for some time, choosing instead to sink her head into her arms.

”I just come up here to think. It’s quiet.” Jeiku nodded along. It was quiet, but that wasn’t the reason.

”To think about being trapped here with the Hichito Clan?”

”That’s not it,” she replied, still not looking at Jeiku. ”It’s not so bad. They actually treat me better than my real family did.” She sighed. Jeiku thought for a moment. This whole situation was foreign to him; not just samurai, but clans as well. He had never been part of a large clan, and he had little practical experiences with how they operated. They didn’t seem like real families to him. It wouldn’t surprise him to learn that this woman had been mistreated, or at least not enjoy her time within a large clan. He was about to respond when someone yelled at him from behind.

”Hey Cloud Ninja! We gotta go! Now!”. Jeiku turned to see Imaru sticking his head out the window.

”Alright, I’m coming!” Jeiku shouted back. He stood and looked down at Aruia. ”I’ll see you later.” She nodded at him, looking up for what seemed like the first time. Jeiku took off, sliding through the window. He followed Imaru to his clothes and weapons, and was told to quickly put them on. He did as he was bid, and after completing that, he was whisked away to the exit of the compound. There, he and Imaru met with the old man, Hakuru, and another samuri he didn’t recognize, as well as Aruia, who was dressed in a different, dark red robe. Jeiku made sure the trident was tightly attached to his back before the group headed off into the forest.

No one spoke much at all during the trip. Imaru whispered something inaudible to Hakuru every now and then. Jeiku walked beside Aruia, but said very little; he didn’t want to break the silence. The sun was already beginning to set, and the sky was a dark orange. Jeiku wondered why they would choose nighttime for this operation, but he hadn’t been involved in the negotiations. Something seemed off, but Jeiku wasn’t sure of what.

They arrived with the last light of the sun. The location chosen for the transfer was apparently an old abandoned barn off the main path; not necessarily the worst choice for an operation like this. The Inpuzu clan retainers had already arrived; five of them, each more average looking than the last. Jeiku could see how they resembled Aruia, with their dark hair and pale skin; but that was about it. One of the men emerged; he couldn’t have been much older than Imaru was. He had long, dark black hair, and had a sword hanging from his side.

”So, Hakaru,” the man began. ”Where is my daughter?” Hakuru stepped forward. He looked particularly old next to this man, but he still stood as straight as he could, staring him down.

”She’s right here, Naro,” Hakuru responded, turning back to look at Aruia. He swung back around to face this man, Naro. ”But we need to come to an agreement first. This feud has gone on for long enough, Naro.” Naro’s head twitched as he looked back at his companions before turning back to Hakuru.

”I agree,” he replied. ”This feud has gone on far too long.” Hakuru smiled, and nodded. His smile soon vanished, however, as an arrow whizzed by his head, grazing his cheek. Jeiku reacted immediately as more arrows began to fly. Jeiku grabbed his trident from off his back, holding it in front of him. He blocked an arrow that was zooming towards him before moving over to Imaru. He blocked an arrow just inches from the samurai’s head before analyzing the situation. The arrows were coming from the top of the roof of this abandoned building. Jeiku looked up, and saw several men drop down from the roof and start running towards Jeiku and the Hichito.

Hakuru and Imaru drew their swords as the prepared for battle. Jeiku smashed his trident into the ground so it stood up on its own before beginning to weave hand seals. Once completed, he reached out his arms. A ball of liquid lightning formed in front of him as the samurai engaged each other. Three beams of storm energy were released for the orb in front of Jeiku. The first slammed into Naro’s shoulder, knocking the samurai to the ground. The other two followed similar trajectories, pushing several more enemies to the ground. Recoiling from the hit, Naro stood.

”They’ve got a shinobi! Let’s move!” Naro commanded. He and his retainers turned and began to run from the field. Hakuru, Imaru and the other Hichito chased them for a few meters before turning back to Jeiku. Jeiku took a deep breath. The result wasn’t entirely suprising to Jeiku; he had suspected something like this could happen. But he was particularly bummed by its failure for whatever reason. He couldn’t exactly explain why.

”Aruia!” Imaru shouted. Jeiku spun around to see the woman standing behind him, an arrow through her torso. Blood dripped down her robe, staining it dark red. She fell to her knees before dropping to the ground. She was breathing intensely; even Jeiku, who had no medical training could see she was going into shock. Jeiku and the samurai rushed around her. Imaru took off his robe and wrapped it around her chest, pocking a hole in it to allow the arrow to stick through. Jeiku lifted her gingerly and placed her on Imaru’s back. Together, the group rushed back towards the clan’s compound.

The trip back was not very far, but it seemed like it took a long time. Every second as they moved through the forest seemed to get longer and longer. The moon was now high in the dark blue sky, as the sun had completely vanished. When they arrived at the compound, the samurai quickly got to work on Aruia’s injury. The injury was too serious, however, and the doctor could do little but numb the pain.

Jeiku waited with Imaru and Hakuru. He couldn’t believe that this was going to happen again; one again, another person, with doctors unable to help. He sighed and placed his head in his hands. But what could he do about it? Nothing. He felt powerless, like he was dropping into a deep pit, unable to get a hold of anything.

It was in this despair that he came up with an idea. Doctors were fine healers for normal folk, but the Kumogakure medical core had abilities above and beyond what normal doctors were capable of. If he could just get Aruia to the village, he might be able to save her. He turned to Imaru.

”Imaru, I have a plan that might allow us to save Aruia. Imaru perked up and looked over at Jeiku. He didn’t say a word, but it was clear he was listening. ”In the Cloud Village, we have shinobi that specialize in healing people. If I could get her to the village in time, she might have a chance.” Imaru, whose face was extremely pale, didn’t move. However, Hakuru, who had overhead Jeiku, stood.

”Alright then, let’ get you on your way.” He nodded at Jeiku, and Jeiku stood as well. Hakuru motioned for Jeiku to follow him, and he did so. Hakuru lead him outside of the compound to a small stable that protruded from the back of the building. He walked over to the single horse that remained in the stable, and opened the gate. It was a black horse, in mane and body, and it walked slowly out of its pen. ”He’s not the youngest or the fastest horse, but ol’ Hanuki should be able to get you to the Village in no time.” Jeiku nodded at the man.

”Thank you,” was all he said.

”Thank you,” the old man replied. ”Without you, my son would be dead, as well as myself most likely. I appreciate all your help; you truly are an honorable shinobi.” Hakuru smiled, and Jeiku returned the smile. As Jeiku, Hakuru, and the horse, Hanuki, came around the corner of the compound, Imaru exited the house with another man Jeiku didn’t recognize. The both of these men held the limp Aruia in their arms, carrying her forward. Jeiku leapt up onto the horse, and the two men placed the girl on the horse in front of him.

”Thanks Imaru,” was the last thing Jeiku said before taking off in the direction of the village. He didn’t have much experience with horses; other than riding a few times for fun as a child, he was driving blind. But it wasn’t too difficult, not like learning jutsu. After a few minutes, he had figured Hanuki out, and the three of them were galloping down the road.

They travelled through the middle of the night; if Hanuki could keep up this speed, they’d make it to Kumogakure in just about a day. Jeiku hoped Aruia would make it. She would have to! He wouldn’t let another person die, not because of his inability to protect them. He was dead tired; his eyes were drooping, and his vision blurring, but he shook himself awake. It wasn’t time to sleep. Not yet.

Jeiku remained awake the entire night, into the next morning when he arrived at the village. The sun was just coming up as the horse stopped in front of the hospital, a rather large building in the village. Jeiku was allowed entrance, but given several strange stairs by others as he pushed his way into the building. He didn’t care who was looking at him; he needed to get Aruia help. Carrying her in his arms he ran into the building, handing the girl off to the first person he could find. His vision was blurry, and frankly, he was so tired, he couldn’t tell who was a medical ninja and who wasn’t.

This was a particular problem because he expected a fight; it would not necessarily be acceptable for a random woman to be accepted into a hospital run by ninja using medical jutsu. But he simply dropped onto some nearby chairs, closing his eyes as he drifted off to sleep. Whatever problems he would encounter tomorrow, he had done all he could for now. He couldn’t think coherently even, at the moment; he wouldn’t be doing anyone any good by staying awake. So, he retreated back into his dreams, for the time being.

“Jeiku!” Jeiku snapped his head back towards the officer. He had been looking out the window, and lost himself in thought as he had told the officer his story. Having dealt with several possibly hostile forces, the police force of Kumogakure thought it would be a good idea to chronicle the story in a report. After all, they had healed a person of little or no value to the village, possibly an enemy even. They were holding Aruia under arrest in the hospital.

“Yes? I’m sorry,” Jeiku responded, shaking his head. “Where was I?” he asked the officer who looked at him impatiently. The officer sighed and looked down at his paper.

“I understand your story, in that you got yourself caught up with some rival samurai factions, but there’s one thing I don’t understand. Why were you out there in the first place? You weren’t there in any official capacity; you had no missions that day. What were you doing?” The officer tilted his head as he asked the question.

Jeiku didn’t want to tell the truth. Certainly the village had reports of missing people from the areas around the doctor’s hideouts, but they apparently had not decided to answer with an investigation as of yet. Perhaps it was the war going on that distracted them from a few missing children, but whatever the cause, Jeiku didn’t want to give them another reason to go after the doctor. Jeiku wanted to kill the man himself. “I was just hiking. I do that a lot, and I wanted a change of scenery.” He lied with as straight a face as he could make. The officer stared at him for a moment before looking down at his papers and writing something in.

“Very well,” the officer responded, shifting the papers around on his desk. “That’s all the questions I have for you. You’re free to go.” The man stood as if to indicate for Jeiku to leave, but Jeiku did not follow suit.

“Officer, can I ask: what will happen to Aruia?” The officer turned towards the door, as if he wished Jeiku would just leave, but finally looked back at Jeiku.

“Well, we’ve spoken to her, and it doesn’t seem as though she is any danger to the village in any way. Still, we do not have the resources to support her, so after she’s well enough to walk again, she’ll have to be on her own.” The officer spoke very calmly, which irritated Jeiku. He tried to calm himself as he responded.

“But… she could stay, here in Kumogakure I mean, if she could find a place to live? I mean, there’s no reason she couldn’t, right?” Jeiku leaned forward as he asked these questions.

“I suppose not…” the officer gave Jeiku an odd look. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a ton of work to do.” Jeiku nodded and rose to his feet, thanking the officer before leaving. He moved quickly through the hallways and out of the building. He had a mission that evening and he wanted to visit Aruia in the hospital before he had to head out.
CharactersShow

Akiro Jouchaku; Jounin; Kirigakure No Sato #007AA5

Ryuu Genkouyoushi; Jounin; Iwagakure No Sato

Mako Notaramu; Jounin; Sunagakure No Sato

Inozu Yamanaka A-Rank; Missing Nin #AF2626

Return to “Lightning Empire”