Doing the right thing! ...For money!

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:28 am

It had been a long week for Fuhen, already, and it was really only just beginning. He had received a letter in the mail, which of course he couldn't read, so he had to stop the messenger and yell at them for several seconds until they agreed to read it out loud for him. It had, essentially, been a wanted posted without numbers or pictures on it, which was normally how he collected on bounties, by randomly looking around until he found someone who looked like the picture on the bounty poster, challenging them, and then taking them back to where he found the poster, and requesting the amount of money on the paper. This, of course, led to many misunderstandings centered around the exact reasons for the bounties, the exact payment for the bounty, and perhaps worst of all the identities of those whose bounties were placed. It usually worked out in the end, however, as he didn't tend to attempt to kill most bounties he took, unless they were proving tougher to not kill than they were to kill.

Anyway, the letter had said something about coming to a specific small village in lightning country, and getting paid to do... something involving a slave ring? Yeah, that was it, he was pretty sure. The town of... What was it again? He would have pulled out the letter to check, and a map to help guide his way, but being unable to read either of them meant that neither would he helpful, so instead he was relegated to stopping every passerby he saw, making a detour to every town once he hit lightning country, and asking them all the same question, "Yanno what this place is eh? Koodya tell meh where?" To which some people ducked their head and walked faster, others pondered his accent and asked him to repeat what he said, and some shrugged with no clue what he said; Meaning he had taken far longer to travel to where he was supposed to go than the normal travel time.

Fuhen did, eventually, reach where he was meant to go, however, after one particularly helpful caravan that were carrying iron cages with some kind of live animal in them, apparently, but were covered so he couldn't see inside, which was a shame, because the frog man liked animals. All the same, he was given fairly good verbal directions on what to look for to make sure he was in the right spot, using shapes and colors like a children's book, which was something that even Fu could understand. And, finally reaching the edge of the town, he let out a yelp of joy, and exclaimed at the top of his lungs. "Feckin' hoi! Who wannned ta give meh money fer takin' down some slavin' scummers!"
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

Post by Willoria » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:12 pm

There was supposed to be a job here, Manami knew that much. The details Naoki had been pretty sketchy on, but she had learned rather quickly while shadowing the man that that seemed to simply be how he worked. He didn't seem accustomed to working with others and already it had caused a couple short spats and quite a bit of rolling of the eyes from the red-haired Jashinist. Fortunately upon arriving to the small village that was their destination, as Naoki went to get more information, Manami had found a little teahouse with a cozy outdoor sitting area. She sat with a pot of green tea, a hint of raspberry in it, and sipped at a little cup of it carefully before hearing quite an outburst. She nearly snorted the hot tea in her shock.

Hissing a brief second against it she looked up with a glare towards the man who seemed to be the source of the outburst but immediately paused as she stared. She became aware of Naoki walking up beside her as she stared, and began to smirk lightly, chuckling to herself. "I don't know if I should be more impressed by his physique... or the sheer amount of blades he carries." she remarked, glancing up and nearly snorting again at the look of annoyance Naoki was leveling at her. He seemed annoyed when she made remarks like this, though she wasn't sure yet if he was truly annoyed by it, or simply jealous that she held no physical interest in the man.

With a sigh she looked towards the dark-haired stranger and sighed. "Judging by his outburst and your arrival... am I to assume he's working with us then?"
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:13 pm

The job seemed a bit difficult overall, but it also seemed like something perfect for Naoki given his disposition towards taking life. If all went well, he and Manami and whoever this mystery person was would be able to break up this slave operation with as few casualties as possible, and free the slaves from their horrid fates. Nothing could be better than giving someone who was captured and destined for a life of servitude their freedom back... and the pay wasn't anything to scoff at either. He wasn't one to care much about being wealthy, but the man had to eat of course.

As he returned to Manami at the teahouse after a bit of discussion with the person running the place, he had info on where they needed to go and who they needed to talk to to get the ball rolling. Just as he was about to speak up however, the abnormally tall and rather shaggy looking man burst forth with his ungodly accent. It almost hurt his ears just hearing him speak... And then of course there was Manami's comment, which earned a level stare from Naoki as his annoyance of the situation grew.

"I'll be impressed if he can use even two of those swords adequately, let alone what appears to be a few dozen. It seems like a grave overcompensation to me... or perhaps he just has a problem with dropping his blades. Either way, he mentioned the slave issue, so it sounds like you're right." He didn't really -want- to approach the man, but it would be wrong of him not to. Plus, this job was notably difficult; it made sense that whoever sent for Naoki had also sent for someone else to ensure a strength in numbers.

Naoki would approach the man with a hand extended, looking up at him with as much warmth as he could muster given the situation... which wasn't much to be fair. "You can lower your voice friend, no need for the entire village to hear you. Me and my companion here have been sent for regarding the same issue, so it seems we're bound to work together on this. I'm Hitsumaru, Naoki, and this is Chinatsu, Manami. I just spoke with the man running this tea shop and he pointed me in the direction of the person we need to see about this issue, so if you don't mind I'll lead the way."

After introductions were complete, Naoki would proceed out the door, hopefully with Fuhen and Manami following in tow. The three would proceed towards the village elder; the leader of the village, and the very man who had sent for Naoki and Fuhen in the first place.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:19 am

Meanwhile, from Fuhen's perspective, there was a resounding degree of silence, while several villages turned to look at him, some with confusion, and others with fright, and while some scurried back in to their homes, most continued about their business after noticing the man with far too many swords. The frog looked around, and shrugged, before lazily beginning to walk forward, he could yell somewhere else in the village and maybe get the right persons attention if he did it loud enough, or annoyed the right people.

It was then that he was approached by a man dressed in robes, who, for a moment, he considered might be the one offering the job, but after noting his hair wasn't white, his face unwrinkled, and in fact he was kind of cute. Job offerers tended to be either fat, old, bald, or some combination of the three that was rather unpleasing. Fuhen listened to the man speak, and seemed unbothered by the request to quiet down, he got that a lot, and even went to go shake the mans hand. In fact, if he had not noticed the woman behind him, he likely would have taken the time to flirt with the man, and build some kind of friendship ending in a drunken night at an inn together. He did, however, notice the woman just before their hands connected, and he suddenly spat a glob of his spit in to his outstretched hand, bringing it back to his head, and slicking his hair back, before suddenly ducking around and behind the samurai at an ungodly speed, hand outstretched to the woman instead.

He had a thing for redheads, you see.

"O-ai. Be a real plessure to uhh... work witcha booth eh?" He said, making a possibly uncomfortable amount of eye-contact with the redheaded woman, and completely ignoring the existence of Naoki for a moment. Whether or not his hand was accepted, he would eventually step to the side and face them both, hands back to his sides per normal, and make a smarmy car-salesman gesture for them to 'lead the way' as it were, since the duo seemed more up to date on where exactly they were meant to go, and who to see.
Combat LogShow
Blur
B-Ranked Taijutsu Stance
The user has learned to move their entire body as they flow from stance to stance, never remaining still long enough for anyone to keep up mentally. With this stance, the user takes a -6 to strength and a +6 to speed, but as long as their speed is higher than the opponents instinct, then the users body seems to blur as they move, leaving behind afterimages moments behind the original user, making them much harder to dodge or strike against.
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:53 pm

At first Manami let Naoki be the one to approach the stranger, the woman remaining where she was and sipping at her tea, wanting to enjoy just a little bit more of it before they started all of this. But after a moment she did indeed set down the money necessary to pay for her tea and followed Naoki over to where he spoke to Fuhen. The pair seemed pretty much in their own world and conversation, at least until she walked up behind Naoki. Fuhen's focus seemed to shift entirely as she saw him spit in his hand and run it through his hair before moving to her at a surprising speed and extending the same hand.

As a woman who was no stranger to having her hands elbow deep in blood, it really wasn't too big of a deal to shake hands with a man who had just spit in his, but it still earned a raised eyebrow from her as he greeted her. She chuckled as she shook her hand, glancing at Naoki a moment when she released her grip and smirked at Fuhen. "You know, this would be easier if we knew your name." she teased, as Fuhen had been the only one so far that had not been introduced. "Though I am curious to see how so many swords come in handy." she added as a genuine thought. To her so many weapons seemed like quite a hindrance rather than a help, but perhaps she would get to see him use them at some point.

She looked to Naoki a moment, shrugging as she spoke. "So going to fill me in on what's going on here? Where to next?"
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Naoki was a bit unsettled by the man's forward nature, but perhaps that was just a personality quirk; He was so used to working alone or working with people that cared little for his existence, to meet someone so boisterous and kind was rather shocking. He went to reach for the man's hand and accept it, but just as his fingers were about to make contact with the man's wrist, he suddenly spit in his hands... Then with a blur he vanished. What!? Where did he... He suddenly turned to look around the area to find that Fuhen had appeared next to Manami... but how?

"You'll have to teach me that one." was all he would say for the time being, as Manami had already asked him his name and his reason for the swords. Naoki would then take the man's gesture to heart and start walking towards the village elder's hut. "From what I understand lightning country has been having issue with slave drivers, and we're being offered a hefty sum to deal with the problem. That's all I really know, I hope the elder will be more informative."

The trio made their way through the small village until they ended up outside a small wooden hut, no more than a couple dozen square meters in size. When they knocked on the small door, they would hear a old, wheezy voice call them in. "Please come in." When they entered, they would find a man with long cascading white hair down to his mid back, and a long straight white beard with the same length. He wore dark yellow robes and walked with elegant posture despite his old age. "Ah... I have been expecting you two... Naoki, Fuhen and... I'm sorry, I don't recall calling for you child." He spoke directly to Manami as he questioned her presence.

"Bah, it matters not. I can only assume you are here at one of these two men's behest, which is fine... after all, they'll be the ones splitting their pay with you." He chuckled to himself, then let out a few dry coughs; he was clearly old and weak. "Please, sit by the table. I will have tea ready in just a moment. Then we can discuss details." With that the man disappeared into a small room, leaving the three to do as they wished.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:15 am

The almost sickly looking frogman struggled for words as he had forgotten to offer his name, so easily captivated was he to be struck deaf and dumb, though not blind. "Names! What uhh... Oh! Nao, Mami, rye-rye-rye. Oim Fuhen Iyashii, or frogbutt if'n yer not the fermal sorts." And, of course, there were several other, less polite names, that were also seen as acceptable to call him. As the handshake broke, he turned slightly to put an arm over the male samurai's shoulder, an action one might expect from a lifelong friend, now coming from a complete stranger, to pull them both in to ease of view for speech. "Shore ta be shore, I can show ya both how I'm be handlin' my... swords." And he winked, before letting Naoki go about his business.

Fuhen shrugged as the mention of the purpose of the job, he was already fairly informed on what he was doing, it was the exact -where- that was a problem. That tended to be the case in underdeveloped villages, however, as people who could actually read were rare outside of capital cities, and the lack of proper markings to indicate streets hindered both the literate and illiterate alike. None of this particularly concerned the frog, however, who couldn't read himself, and didn't really understand the importance of being able to, but at least it seemed one of the three of them knew where to go, and with that let Naoki lead the way, walking behind the other two for an equal share at both of their butts.

At the entrance to the village elders home, he waved nonchalantly in greeting, staying quiet for the time being, and stepping inside, not taking much notice until he mentioned that the girl wasn't entirely supposed to be there. He quirked a brow at the pair who had joined him, but shrugged once more, and found greater interest in digging his pinky inside his ear to fetch wax, which was unhealthy, not that Fuhen knew that. At the mention of splitting pay, however, he made a noise slightly reminiscent of a horse with his lips , which accidentally ended in a croak beyond his control. "Cou' prolly handle it mehself, didna hav'te send fer so many if we was gon' have ta split the ryo." He complained, a bored look on his face.

He did as the man asked all the same, taking a seat at the simple table, and stretching his impossibly long legs out, almost appearing of a normal height while sitting because of it, and folding his hands behind his head. The swordsman relaxed, farted quietly, and waited impatiently, foot tapping on the floor under the table, not liking having to deal with pleasantries such as this.
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:43 pm

Manami couldn't help a snort at Fuhen's remark about his swords, but honestly she doubted she'd ask him to prove his statement. The more the man talked, the more she wondered if that was how he sounded when intimate as well... a thought that was quickly turning her off the idea of trying to bed the man, regardless how good looking he was.

The woman fell silent as they made their way to see the elder, smiling to herself as he spoke and mentioned splitting the pay. "That won't be necessary." she said suddenly, motioning to Naoki. "I volunteered myself to follow this man awhile, I will not ask them to split their pay for that. I will work without pay on this one." she offered, smiling still as she spoke.

The smile itself was unsettling at best to most, not because of its sincerity, but what seemed to linger behind it. She was a Jashinist and as such she was hoping for a chance to really spill blood in this task, a thing she was bound to do in worship of her god. She would happily do it for free.

Return to “Lightning Empire”