Tales of the Lion

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Tales of the Lion

Post by Taiga » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:36 am

The rain was pouring down heavily onto the battlefield. Pummeled earth had mixed with the blood of the fallen and the relentless rain to form streams and ponds of mud. The clashing of metal, the cries of man, and the sounds of explosions and arrows filled the air. This was war. This was the civil war of Lightning Country. Explosions overhead signaled that the shinobi had successfully hit the high-keep's supply depot. Pulling himself to his knees, Inyo heaved heavily attempting to catch his breath. One of the Murakami soldiers cam running forth upon his horse, lowering his spear. Inyo could only look up, his hand splashing through the crimson mud to try and find his blade or shield. The horse was upon him.

A magnificent roar rang out as a violent force shook the earth itself, mud in every which direction. A rainbow of dancing light surrounded an extremely large man who like a comet slammed forth into the horse with enough for to send the horse and it's rider into the air. The kinetic force caused a sonic boom of sorts powerful enough to send Inyo tumbling backwards. The large figure lower his shield, turning back to Inyo.

"Get up boy. Your mother world never forgive me... and I will not lose a second son." the man said in a grizzled voice as he drew his blade. It was Taro, the leader of the Shishi clan and current Lion. Though the man had abdicated his position to his elder son, Inyo's brother, he had fallen in battle and with the nation at war the mantle had fallen once again to the strongest Shishi. Inyo rose to his feet.The Lion bent low, crouching, before leaping into the air with tremendous force like a comet towards another part of the battle field. The power he held was shocking to Inyo. Just how would he become a man of that calibre?

"Yes father."[b/] the young cub responded, despite his fathers lack of presence. Fumbling in the mud he retrieved a blade and the shield of a fallen Murakami soldier. Recovering his was of little importance given the ongoing battle, and after all it was merely a standard issue set. His family was wise not to trust him with heirlooms.

The young cub stood, and beat the sword against his shield as another group of soldiers came from both opposing sides. Holding their position on the hill was important. Whoever controlled the hill had the archery advantages. No one held positions better than the Shishi. Inyo screamed out, along with this of his Shishi and Daimyo military brethren. The agents of Murakami advanced.

What the young Shishi lacked in stature, strength and experience he more than made up for in speed. Spinning forward he shield slammed a soldier, knocking him off balance, then jabbed forward into his stomach to finish him. Another man advanced on him, and with a flick of his hand the Shishi threw his blade, which it the man in the chest as he rolled backwards. Inyo ducked low and scooped up the spear of the man he had previously shield-slammed, then dropped into a crouch.

His body was firm, and his shield held firmly before him. He needed no commands to get his men to follow, as each and every Shishi dropped into the same pose until they had formed a phalynx. The enemy forces began to beat upon them. Each hit caused him to nearly fall, and he could not match the strength of his brethren. Instead, Inyo used his speed to move his shield back into position as quick as he could each time. Any gap in the defense would mean death.

Meanwhile, behind them was the Daimyo forces. They began tarring and igniting their arrows and launching them into the Murakami forces before them.

"HOLD THE LINE." a lieutenant barked to the Shishi. Each and every man did. Slowly they pushed back the Murakami forced gaining more of the hill, as the onslaught of the archers continued. Nearly convinced they had won this battle the Daimyo's men were ready to fortify when suddenly the sound of thunder echoed and lightning blasted into the Shishi ranks, the phalynx breaking and all of the men falling back. The archers tried to give surpressing fire as soon as they could, the Shishi scrambling back.With his speed, Inyo quickly recovered and helped pull some of the other Shishi back against their own sides fire.

A soldier stood with an electrified guantlet and a trident. It seemed that some of Murakami's forces had found relics imbued with powers of the shinobi. The Murakami forced rushed forward in an attempt to stab the Shishi who had not recovered to their feet yet- a task made surprisingly difficult in the murky, bloody, muddy mess in which they lay.

"OFFENSIVE FORMATION!" Inyo screamed as he lowered his shield and lept forward jamming the spear into a mans midsection. They would not win this battle in an all out defensive- not when the enemy flung lightning bolts. The sound of mud sloshing to his side caused him to tweak- his attention diverting to his left where a sword was incoming. His shield flung up in the air to meet the mans blade, knocking it out of the way and causing the man to fumble. His spear still stuck in the side of last foe he release at and lept forward knocking his shoulder into the man and knocking him to the ground,

He had been taught that waiting was death, and even without a weapon it was best to advance on an opponent. The two were in the puddles of mud as the man fumbled for his sword. Inyo slammed his shield into the mans head as a sickening crunch let out. The action itself nearly caused Inyo to vomit.

This is war.

Inyo was only 14 and yet he was dragged into the forefront of a war. Though his people had always been soldiers and a warrior race, they had never participated in war of this scale. He was shocked to witness the horrors firsthand. Worse, shocked to see the horror that those of the shinobi arts held in their hands.

Lightning rang out again and a fellow Shishi dropped to the ground next to Inyo, his body fried from the electricity and his flesh smoldering. Like waves crashing upon each other the forces of both sides collided. Their archers were being murdered as the foot soldiers attempted to salvage the battle. The Shinobi of Kumogakure were no where to be found- no doubt dealing in espionage and destruction up at the keep while the lowly soldiers of the country died. Were they just a distraction?

Inyo looked across the field at the man flinging lightning. If he was not stopped, they would turn the tide of battle completely in their favor and Murakami would retake the hill. His father was busy fighting towards the river... and so it would be his duty to win this battle. For the Pride. For his Pride. The young lion stood, his armor nearly completely brown in mud from rolling around on the ground with his previous kill.

Retrieving the mans sword, he took a deep breath, then charged across the battle field. Men collided into each other just inches from Inyo, but he continued to avoid and dodge attacks at all costs, slipping in and out of the quarrels all over in order to make his way towards the man flinging lightning. The gauntlet man continued to shake his hand as blast of lightning rained down onto the Daimyo's archers, laying waste. And then came Inyo.

From the side and unexpectedly Inyo lept into the man, knocking him to the ground and into the mud. In one quick move he slammed his shield against the guantlet and the mans arm, digging it into the ground and trying to prevent him from moving it. The man wiggled his arm tyring to send lightning, but the muddy waters and shield were nullifying its damage. With his free arm he attempted to stab Inyo with his side-arm. Inyo flexed his side, his body torso curving inwards to the right as he tried to dodge, the blade still managing to rip through his arm and slice his side. He winced as he slamed the hilt of his own blade down onto the mans shoulder, a move which caused his arm to open and drop his side-arm before he could cause any more damage.

The man's legs wriggled, and his bigger size meant that in the end he was able to push Inyo off. Inyo rolled onto his side as both men struggled to get to their feet. In desperation Inyo lunged at the man again, who this time held his arm out as a blast of lightning flew right into Inyo. His shield flew out of his hand as he went onto his back in the mud, his body shaking.

Shit.

He had to think fast. The man grabbed a sword and began to approach him. Looking down at him, the man spit, then raised the blade.

Inyo's breathing nearly halted, and it seemed as if time itself had slowed.

"Say good bye you little shit." he said as he swung the blade down. Inyo swung his leg into that of the man. Given the slippery terrain the man went down easy, tumbling forward as he missed Inyo and lunged his blade into the ground, tumbling over. Inyo lept onto his back and wrapped his arms around the mans neck, attempting to suffocate him to death in a sleeper hold. He pulled the man back with him to the earth until Inyo was on his back. The man was grabbing at the ground and doing all he could to try and get a breath.

Inyo squeezed harder.

But he was not strong enough.

The man was able to break free, his hand crackling with lightning as he slamed it into Inyo's stomach. The mud fizzled against the electricity, as his midsection armor ripped right off. He barely avoided being gutted. Retreating back Inyo grabbed the mans sword, as the two locked eyes.

He was silent.

"It's over you little shit, you see that right?" he said with a grin on his face. Inyo grinned too.

"You're right, it is over." Inyo said as he lunged forward and the man did too- his hand crackling with electricity. Inyo threw the blade as he lunged. The man's eyes opened wide as electricity flung off his hand to deflect the blade. At that moment, Inyo connected his shoulder to the mans stomach knocking the wind out of him as he fell backwards.

The Little Lion rolled about like a wrestler till his foot was down on the mans wrist. He pushed down with all his might. The man went to yank his leg and the Lion fell, but then grabbed tight to the man. In a fit of anger, he released an electrical blast as he tried to shock the boy off.

Inyo grinned as he release the man and threw himself to the side, the man shocking himself as his body went limp. Inyo stood, then took the guantlet off the mans hand. It had seemed to short-circuit or something from blasting itself. He kicked it aside, then drawing his own side-arm slit the mans throat.

Off in the distance he could hear his father and the other forces on their way to the hill. They must of secured the river. With that, the battle would be won and they would hold the low-lands around the keep.

With no way in or out of the keep, it would be a matter of time before the Murakami forces would starve. For now, they would get to rest and count the dead. Though it would not belong until they would need to advance further towards the keep.

2005/2000 + 2 Speed

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Tales of the Lion

Post by Taiga » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:26 am

The battle had ended for the high ground. All that was left was the assult on the Murakami castle. Inyo sat in the river, bathing the blood and soil off his body. It was caked onto him thoroughly. This was war however and that much was to be expected. The rest of the allied forces were disposing of the remaining enemies in the field as they retrieved the corpses of their own. It was a fast operation- as the need to push on was urgent. Finishing with his bath Inyo pulled himself from the river and retreated to the allied forces tent, getting a towel and drying himself off thoroughly.

As he moved the towel about his body his hands still trembeled. He was not new to battle but he had never killed or seen so much blood. The scale- the horror of this war was shocking to the young man. Worse, they fought their own countrymen. Former allies forced to kill each other... The eyes of his opponents... the faces..

He shook his head and hung it in sorrow. Setting down his towel he slipped into his slacks. Before he could get his short on, a strong and large hand hit him on his bare back, causing him to jump out of his skin a little. A hearty and familiar laugh followed. It was his father, the Lion and leader of the Shishi. He was old and past his prime, but he was the most powerful member of the family.

"Inyo-kun, you've become a fine cub." his father said, referring to his decent kill count on the battle field, even if he had struggled in many of the skirmished. "Don't tell ma, but..." the Lion said as he extended a bottle of high quality nihonshu and two choke- small ceramic glasses in which to drink it in. "You are a man- old enough to see the horrors of war, old enough to drink." he said as he twisted off the cap and began to pour the smooth and clear alcohol into the two cups. Letting out a long deep breath, the man looked to his son.

"Be careful though not to let this become a crutch- we don't drink in sorrow, but we drink to remember and we drink to loosen our lips so we can talk about our horrors- as men." he said as Inyo recieved one of the cups.

Inyo quickly took the cup down in one large swig, in a "manly" but also "this is too bitter so I'll get it over with" sense. He had tried alcohol a few times before but had never been one for the taste, at least not yet.

"So little cub, do you have anything you wish to tell your father?" the Lion said in a more serious tone as he looked directly at Inyo. Inyo frowned slightly before motioning to the bottle and holding out his cup. The Lion began to pour his son another.

"I... I've killed in battle before and it always felt bad but father... this is..." the Lion cut in "Like hell?" The Lion had seen many. many battles and had killed many a man. The Shishi family, or clan, was legendary amongst the lightning country and even the Rock country itself. But even for the Lion this war had been different.

"Watching brothers take arms against each other- and men fight for lords who have never served their interest is truly terrifying." the Lion said as he finished pouring his sons drink, then poured his own.

Inyo took another large swig. His cheeks had begun to become a rosey-red color. His inhibitions had all but begun to fade. "Why do we fight for lords father? I don't get it. These men get to sit in safety in power, and we die for what, the chance to fight each other over rice?"

The Lion let out a hearty laugh. "I ask myself that often, son. I have risked my life for years for coin from men with more than I, and I never asked myself that before now- but now it is indeed often. We are but proxies in a war between two lords, but, if you ask me the choice between the Daimyo or Murakami- a villianous and horrible man who has no honor... well.."

"You'd rather die for honor..." Inyo said as he reached for the bottle of nihonshu taking it for himself and then pouring a fresh cup, only to take it down in one more swig. His face was now bright red and the boy looked like any old drunk farmer one might find on the side of the road after the harvest festival.

"Just like brother- real good it did him right? Gave his life for some shit job and the honor of our family." Inyo said as he began to slur his speech. HIs fathers face became visibly vexed, as the man scratched his beard and looked to the ground with a sullen expression.

"I miss him too, cub. But in time you too will understand duty, and the sacrifice your bro-"

"Fuck duty. Fuck honor." the little cub said as he stood up and threw the choko at the ground, it shattering. He was stumbling a bit, and given his low fortitude and first time drinking, was obviously drunk. The Lion laughed.

"That's the spirit of a lion boy" he said as he crushed the choko in his hand and then proceeded to drink directly from the bottle.

"Your brother did not sacfrifice himself for the money, duty, or honor, son. He sacrificed himself because the job had greater meaning- his sacrifice allowed a village of children, women, men..Fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters... to live. Sure, it was the job, but that's not why he made his decision. He died as the Lion because it meant he would protect the greater good." the Lion said as he took a bigger swig.

"I should of been there and it should of been me, not your brother. If the sacrifice was to be made... it should of.... I retired too soon and put too much on hi-" the Lion was interrupted by the hug of his son.

"You're not too old for that?" the Lion teased. Inyo released his father and put his hand on his shoulde.r

"Dad- its not your fault... it's this world." Inyo said, taking the bottle from his dad and taking a sip. The Lion chuckled. "I'm supposed to be helping you, not the other way around kid." he said as he took the bottle back and took a chug too. The Lion was spectacular, and though he had dranken at least six servings, to a man of his stamnina and stature, it was nothing.

To Inyo however, the boy was getting quite drunk.

"Inyo, you're not the physique of a Lion, but you've got the heart, and also something your brother and I don't... the Lion said. "Smarts, right, mom always says so" Inyo chined in. His fathers face went to a flat look. He hated to admit it, but the Shishi men generally were a lot of passion but not a lot of brains. He sighed.

"Well then, let's stop drinking for a bit and do some training huh?" he said. Inyo's eyes widened. Of all times to do training, this was too much. He stumbled about as he moved. His father chugging the rest of the bottle threw it aside and stood tall. From his wasit he grabbed a hilt, one that seemingly had no blade. Blood from his hand itself ran into the sword as suddenly it came to life, a light like the northern lights themselves- spectacular like a rainbow flared out until finally it stabilized into a sword like shape.

"This is a sword passed down through generations of our family, a sword which holds not only extreme power, but a precious bond." he said as the sword whizzed. The lion slammed it into a nearby cart, the blade slicing clean through it like butter. His eyes tightened.

"Right, the Lion dad? The one that gives us our incredible power that can rival even the shinobi" Inyo chimed in. His father looked at him, then tossed him the blade as the tip extinguished. Inyo's eyes grew.

"It's not easy to wield boy, it drains the life from your body. While the Lion is our friend, he needs energy to live and walk this earth- energy your body must provide." the Lion said solemnly. Walking to his son, he motioned for him to hold out his hand, than drew a dagger. Inyo looked to his father, and winced in anticipation.

The dagger dragged across his palm as blood released, and the boy nearly screamed. It took all his stamina to hold it together- though perhaps the alcohol had helped. His father than opened his hand by the finger.

"Hold the sword in that hand, boy." Inyo placed it into his hand as the blood smeared across the hilt. Like a magnificent fountain of light, the blade sprung to life and hummed, and surprisingly, armor appeared around his body. Before long, an ancient sounding voice appeared in his head.

"I've watched you since you were a cub" the voice said. Inyo was shocked. "My power is now yours too, like it was your fathers, and your brothers. But you need to know." Inyo looked to his father, who in tandem spoke along with the beast who he had fought with for decades.

"My power is only as strong as yours- your body binds me to this earth, and I cannot provide more than you. That said, I can match your power in equal, and as two halves we become a fearsome whole."

Inyo gulped at the statement. To truly be a lion, he needed to become more powerful. Taking a deep breath he looked to his father, who beckoned him to come.

"First, we need to try and maximize the time you can stay in that form, boy" he said. Inyo nodded, and with a deep breath, charged forward. Swinging the blade, his father picked up a piece of the cart he had previously destroyed and batted at the blade. Though the blade sliced through it, the force he had carried had nearly caused the blade to launch from Inyo's hand as Inyo lost his balanced. In that very moment his father swept his leg and Inyo hit the ground.

Strangely, the armor provided quite the protection from the usual shock or pain from falling, though Inyo felt slightly tired. Standing up, he looked to his father before charging again. Again. and Again. The process repeated for at least ten minutes before Inyo began to completely lose his breath, soak drenching down his head. The armor was incredible and he could truly feal what it meant to be a lion- the lion.

At last though he ran out of energy and fell to his knees as the sword extinguished and the spirit of the lion faded- and with it the armor that covered his body. He was quite tired. His stamina would need to grow, day by day. Whether to drink his father under the table or to use the armor, thats what it would take to become a man who could end wars.

Though his father would disagree, Inyo had already known who it was he would become. He would not be a mercenary. He would be a peace keeper- a new Lion for a new age.

But first, they would need to end this bloody war, and to do that, he would need to rest. If it was possible to rest...

2012/2000
+2 STAMINA

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Return to “Lightning Empire”