Shipwreck on Sado

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage
User flair: Why saigen people?!?

Shipwreck on Sado

Post by Taiga » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:42 am

Chapter 1
Mariya had been on a top-secret mission assigned to her by Hayate that took her to the areas of the new content. She had been traveling on a ship through treacherous waters when a massive storm hit, and while she had been trained to withstand the toughest conditions, nothing could have prepared her for what was to come.

The ship was taking on water faster than the crew could bilge, and before long, a massive wave swallowed the ship whole, tearing it apart like a toy as the remainder of the ship was thrown against some coral reefs.

Mariya was thrown overboard and tumbled underwater, the salty ocean stinging her eyes and burning her lungs. She struggled to stay afloat amidst the chaos, her body battered and bruised from the wreckage. Her mind raced as she tried to come up with a plan, but the powerful currents had other ideas. The waves tossed her around like a ragdoll, and for a moment, she thought she would never make it out alive. Her consciousness began to fade, when suddenly, the seal on her body activated and her body glew the beautiful blue of chakra.

Strength filling her body her resolved returned. Mariya's training as a shinobi had taught her to never give up, no matter how dire the situation. The training and love from her father had taught her to have hope… and with every ounce of strength she had left, Mariya pushed through the water, gasping for air as she battled the waves. She tried to focus on the mission at hand, but the pain and exhaustion made it difficult to think straight. After fighting the water for well over thirty minutes trying to make her way towards the coral, which likely indicated nearby land she finally went black- the sound of thunder and the crackling of lightning bolts illuminating the stormy skies. Mariya felt herself slipping away, her body growing cold as the ocean claimed her.

When she came to, Mariya found herself washed up on the shore of an unknown island, her head pounding and her vision blurry. She coughed up seawater and sand, her throat raw and sore. The taste was bitter and unpleasant, but it was a small victory- she had survived the storm. Mariya was disoriented and confused, her mind racing as she tried to recall what had happened. She looked around and saw nothing but a dense jungle, with tall trees and vines snaking their way up towards the sky. The sun was setting, casting a warm orange glow over the horizon. Mariya knew that she had to find shelter and food if she wanted to survive on the island.
As she gathered her wits and took stock of her surroundings, Mariya noticed a small cave nearby, nestled in the side of a rocky cliff. She made her way over to it, stumbling over the rough terrain. Her legs were weak, and her muscles ached from the ordeal she had just been through. But she pushed herself forward, her determination unwavering. When she reached the cave, Mariya took a deep breath and entered cautiously, her senses alert for any signs of danger.

The cave was dark and damp, with a musty smell that made her nose wrinkle. Mariya lit a small torch she had salvaged from the wreckage and surveyed her new home. The walls were rough and uneven, with jagged rocks jutting out at odd angles. The ground was littered with debris from various ships over the years, all of which had probably wrecked upon this island and Mariya noticed that her flack jacket had been torn in several places. She sighed heavily and looked around, taking in her surroundings. It wasn't much, but it was a start. Mariya knew that she had to stay alive if she wanted to complete her mission and return to Kumogakure.
And so, with grit and determination, Mariya began her fight for survival. She gathered wood and started a fire, the flames casting eerie shadows on the cave walls. She searched for food, finding some fruit trees and a small stream nearby. She made a makeshift shelter from the debris, using her ninja skills to weave together a sturdy structure. Mariya was resourceful and tenacious, using her training as a shinobi to adapt to her new environment.

Slowly the hours would turn to days, and the days weeks as the girl did her best to improve her surroundings and forage food. The island for all its misgivings had rich flora and fauna, and catching fish, was relatively easy with her shinobi abilities.
Last edited by Taiga on Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Shipwreck on Soda

Post by Taiga » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:47 am

Chapter 2
Nearly two weeks had passed since her shipwreck. Confident that no one would ever find her here, Mariya knew she needed to find a way home.

As Mariya trudged through the forest, she couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. The sun had long since set, and the darkness seemed to be closing in around her. She heard rustling in the trees, and her hand instinctively went to her kunai pouch, ready to defend herself. But then, a voice called out to her, "Well, well, what do we have here? A lost little shinobi?"

Mariya spun around, ready to strike, but what she saw made her stop in her tracks. A creature unlike any she had ever seen before was perched on a nearby tree branch. It had the body of a raccoon dog, but its eyes glowed with a mischievous intelligence that Mariya found unnerving.

"Who are you?" Mariya demanded, keeping her hand on her kunai.

"I am Danzaburou," the creature said, grinning. "Legendary tanuki spirit and leader of the tanuki. Commander of Soda. And you, little shinobi, are trespassing in my territory." The edge of his lips snarled showing his fangs.

Mariya tensed, ready to fight, but Danzaburou just laughed.

"Now, now, there's no need for that," he said. "I'm not looking for a fight, just a little fun."

Mariya eyed him warily. She had heard stories of tanuki, trickster spirits that delighted in playing pranks on humans. She had always dismissed them as myths, but now, facing one in the flesh, she wasn't so sure.

"What do you want?" Mariya asked in a cold tone, her grip on her kunai tightening as he eyes flashed red, the Sharingan peering deep into the Tanuki.

"I want to play a game," Danzaburou said, jumping down from the branch and landing in front of Mariya. "If you win, I'll show you the way off this island. If you lose, well, let's just say you'll be staying here for a while. It’s been a century since we’ve had guests and there is much to learn of the outside world."

Mariya frowned. She didn't like the sound of that, but she didn't have many options. She was lost and alone on this island, and if this creature knew the way out, she had to take the chance. "Fine," she said, crossing her arms. "What's the game?"

Danzaburou's eyes glinted mischievously.

"Oh, it's a simple game, really. We take turns telling each other jokes. If you can make me laugh, you win. If not, well, I win."

Mariya couldn't believe it. She was a skilled shinobi, trained in the arts of combat and espionage, and here she was, being challenged to a joke-telling contest by a trickster spirit. But she didn't have much of a choice, in her famished condition she probably couldn't fight a spirit... so she took a deep breath and began.

"Why did the scarecrow win an award?"

Danzaburou looked unimpressed. "I don't know, why?"

"Because he was outstanding in his field," Mariya said, waiting for the tanuki's reaction. Danzaburou just stared at her blankly.

"That's it? That's your joke?"

Mariya sighed- "Look, I'm not much of a comedian, okay? Just tell me your joke and let's get this over with." Danzaburou grinned. "All right, here it goes. What do you get when you cross a ninja with a tanuki?"

Mariya shrugged.

"A sneaky little trickster who can transform into anything he wants!" Danzaburou laughed, transforming into a bird and soaring into the sky. By all means, Mariya’s joke was funnier and had much more wit- and yet somehow she couldn’t move his stone-faced expression. The absurdity and idiocy of Danzaburou’s joke didn’t work either though.

Mariya was not one for humour. Danzaburou frowned.

“So, neither of us win. A stalemate. I guess we have no choice but to continue the game another time.” he said as he disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Mariya didn't know what to make of the situation but it was clear there was now a threat on this island to her existence...
Last edited by Taiga on Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Shipwreck on Soda

Post by Taiga » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:05 am

Chapter 3
The next day while Mariya was fishing, she heard a loud whistling from behind her. Emerging up from the water and heading back to the shore, Danzaburou stood, arms crossed.

The tanuki spirit looked at Mariya with suspicion and said, "Humans… You're all the same, you destroy everything in your path and leave nothing but destruction." All the while taking a swig of a sake bottle at his waist.

Hic. he hiccuped, his face red. Mariya’s eyes narrowed to slits.

Was there a drunk tanuki talking to her? She was surprised this sort of thing happened. Mariya also knew she had to play her cards right, because angering a spirit would be the wrong move.
Straightening her posture she said, "I understand your distrust of humans, but I am not like them. I come from Kumogakure, the Hidden Village in the Clouds, where we honor nature and all its creatures. We seek balance and harmony with the world around us."

Danzaburou laughed at Mariya's words.

”We’ve seen your kind, your village members, hundreds of times over a millenia. You wage war- it is the very core to the existence of Shinobi.” he said.

The Tanuki dropped his sake as he suddenly grew to an insane, 15m side, looking far more intimidating and demonic.

”You of course, don’t stand a chance in hurting me.”

Mariya took a deep breath.

”Let’s play another game.” he said. Mariya didn’t have much of a choice as suddenly illusions fell over her.

The illusions were of Banri and his war in Soul- of the Civil War. Of Hayate, his hand covered in blood as he thrust it through the demon lord lady.

As Danzaburou's illusions intensified, Mariya realized that she needed to focus and stay calm if she was going to beat the Tanuki spirit at his own game. She focused on her training as a shinobi, using her senses to discern what was real and what was not.

Mariya also noticed a pattern in Danzaburou's tricks. He would create illusions that were based on Mariya's fears and insecurities, trying to make her doubt herself. But Mariya had faced many challenges in her life, and she was not one to give up easily. She used her mental fortitude to resist Danzaburou's illusions and stay focused on her goal.

Mariya also drew on her training as a Black Ops operative. She knew that deception and misdirection were key tactics in any ninja's arsenal, and she decided to turn Danzaburou's tricks against him. Instead of trying to fight the illusions head-on, Mariya decided to play along and create her own illusions, feeding into Danzaburou's sense of mischief.

Mariya created a false sense of panic, pretending to be frightened by the illusions and acting as if she was losing control. Her hand reached for her kunai, as if to confirm his beliefs that al humans were the same.

But all the while, she was using her own illusions to deceive Danzaburou, making him think that he had the upper hand.

The girl took her kunai out and stabbed herself in the shoulder, hard enough that the Genjutsu cast by Danzaburou faded. She looked at him, her Sharingan now active.

”Your tricks will not work on me.” she said. ”And I will not attack you no matter how hard you try.” she said as she pulled the Kunai out of her shoulder and fell to the ground.

The Tanuki turned into its smaller, human form and looked back at her.

”That wound is bad.” he said solemnly, tossing a pouch to her from his waist. ”I’ll be back to play some more.” he said before disappearing in a poof of smoke.

Mariya took the pouch, finding it to be a salve, and put it on her wounds. Tearing her cloak she would place it as a bandage over the wound. Her self-sacrifice may have just proven her character to the Tanuki, but he would never take orders from her even if he didn’t distrust or hate her.

She would need to play his language.

”I’ll need to beat him at his own game.”
Last edited by Taiga on Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Shipwreck on Soda

Post by Taiga » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:58 am

Chapter 4

Mariya knew that dealing with Danzaburou was always a risky proposition, but she also knew that she needed all the help she could get to complete her mission and get home. She had resolved her self to play Danzaburou's game and deal with his machinations. When he appeared this time, and said he had a game to play Mariya this time took no prisoners.

She looked at Danzaburou and said, "I refuse to play your game unless you agree to become my summon contract upon me winning." . The racoon was taken aback, but then looked at her. He pawed behind his ear and then grumbled. "They say fortune favors the bold... but that may just be stupid- it's a deal but if I win, you become my summon contract." Mariya was confused. Could humans be summon contracts to spirits even?

The Tanuki spirit led Mariya to a clearing in the forest and showed her a small wooden box. "This box contains the scroll upon which you can become the summoner of me..." Danzaburou said. "But be warned, it is a tricky puzzle." He stepped aside leaving Mariya to her devices, who sat down before the box.

Mariya racked her brains trying to figure out how to open the box but it was designed to be unsolvable. She began to feel frustrated and angry. She shook the box and listened, and did everything she could to figure out how to open it. Danzaburou watched Mariya's struggle with amusement, confident that she would never be able to solve the riddle. Minutes passed and then hours... but nothing. Mariya was not one to give up easily. She took a deep breath and tried to think outside the box.

She set the box down and stepped back. Think OUTSIDE the box.

"Already quitting?" Danzaburou cackled. Mariya ignored him as she fixed her gaze on the box and opened her eyes wide.

Sharingan.

Her eyes lit up red as the tomoe spun about and she examined the box, only to realize the pattern on the outside were not wood-grain but an intricate fuuinjutsu seal. She traced the chakra coming off of the box- and looked at the traces that went back to Danzaburou. He was actively re-locking and re-arming the box remotely via a fuuinjutsu.

"Hey- you can't do that!" Danzaburou said, suddenly sweating. Mariya put her hand out to silence him. "You never stipulated it in the rules." and continued. Picking it up her hands traced the seals as she pulled out her brush and began to intricately weave her own seal over. Minutes passed before finally, she was able to overtake his seal allowing her to open the box. Only there was no scroll inside.

Mariya looked over to him.

"I didn't think you'd actually get that far." he said as Mariya walked over and shoved the box into Danzaburou's chest.

Danzaburou was taken aback by Mariya's victory. He had never met a human who dared to try and out-trick him. But he also knew that he had no choice but to honor Mariya's request. He grudgingly agreed to become her summon contract. They would complete the ritual, and then, Mariya would make an offer.

"Danzaburou, I willingly will become a summon to you too and your people on this island. If you shall ever need my aid, you may call upon me." she said. Danzaburou was taken even further aback- not only had the human outsmarted him, she offered to serve him in return? Humans usually only took. He licked his lips as he pawed at his side.

"I accept."

Last edited by Taiga on Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Taiga
Raikage
Raikage

Shipwreck on Soda

Post by Taiga » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:06 am

Chapter 5

It had been two weeks since her agreement with Danzaburou. Since then, she had become a friend and ally to the Tanuki staying in their dens and eating with them. Each day when she woke up the tanuki and her worked on building a small sloop using the salvage of parts, and they had managed to get quite far along. They worked tirelessly for hours each day until final, something resembling a workable sloop worked. Danzaburou grinned ear-to-ear.

"It's the might of Sado right here!"

Mariya laughed and patted the tanuki's head, "Thanks to your help, Danzaburou. Without your tricks and your skill, we wouldn't have made it this far."

Danzaburou snarled, pulled back, and shrugged, "Don't pat me human! And it's not like I did it for free, you know. You are now in my debt." he said.

Mariya rolled her eyes, "I am sure I am."

With the sloop complete, Mariya set sail towards the island where the mission was located. She felt a mix of excitement and anxiety as she approached the shore. It had been a while since she had been on land, and she had a feeling that things had changed since she left.

As she stepped ashore, she immediately noticed the difference. The trees were brown and withered, and the air was heavy with the smell of decay. It was clear that something was wrong. She began to search for clues, using her keen senses to detect any signs of life. Finally, she came across a small village, where she met a group of people who were huddled together, clearly scared and uncertain about the future.

Mariya learned that the island had been under a curse, which had caused the land to wither and the people to suffer. Luckily, some of the other forces sent by the Raikage had safely landed and she was able to rejoin the armada. They had been staked out for over a month while she was lost at sea and working to uncover the mysteries of the course and establish a strong foothold for the Armada in this region of the fishing wastes.

With the help of Danzaburou and the other shinobi, Mariya construct fuuinjutsu to at least keep the curse at bay so the land could begin to heal and fight back. Succeeding at holding the curse off, they would make sure the land was safe enough to send more forces and aid too and the villagers could thrive. As the shinobi said their dues with the people and celebrated behind a whole-hog-on-a-spit barbeque, Danzaburou watched her from afar, a small smile playing on his lips. He knew that Mariya was something special, and he couldn't wait to see what other adventures she would embark on in the future.
Last edited by Taiga on Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Le Other Ones]
Gang Hua, Chihiro

Return to “Lightning Empire”