13 Years Ago...

Asuka goes on a pilgrimage with her father

HotelBravo

13 Years Ago...

Post by HotelBravo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 am

The time when this occurred is before Asuka became a shinobi. Before Iwagakure’s invasion of Sunagakure. Asuka was 14 years old, and was on the verge of her birthday.

”Get up girl.” It was the voice of her father, he stood above her gently rocking her awake. Asuka groggily rose from her sleeping bag on the hard ground and took in the sight around her. The Countryside that would one day become the Lightning Empire. It was custom that the Ichiguro would perform a coming of age ceremony for Asuka once she turned 15, but before then her father had decided to take her on a pilgrimage to some of the sacred temples that the Nomadic Ichiguro used to maintain in the time long past. This was a spiritual journey as much as it was one that was educational, and it was an uncomfortable one as well. The entirety of the trip would last 75 days, and on the 76th day was her birthday. They had to complete everything and make their way back to the capital in time for the coming of age ceremony.

”I don’t even want to be a shinobi, why do we have to get up early every morning and do these exercises?” Asuka asked. In her youth she simply could not see the benefits of waking up so early in the morning to hone skills and hone muscle that she would not only never need, but was never going to use. Why should she learn to be a shinobi? It was true that her family’s claim to fame in the world was its secret technique to utilize the Denjiton element. She hadn’t ever bothered learning the element. What she wanted to do with her life had nothing to do with the shinobi life. Shinobi were constantly risking their lives on suicide missions. Asuka had seen the numbers, 89% of all shinobi were KIA. That was short for Killed in Action. Each level of mission also had its own individual numbers of deaths. While E and D ranks were uncommon, C rank missions had a death ratio of 2%, but that number skyrocketed at B rank. It was exponential when it came to A and S ranks.

A rank missions had a 50% death ratio and S rank were even higher! It was close to 80%. If you went on an S rank mission you could practically guarantee that you weren’t going to be coming home, and Asuka had never been interested in that kind of future. She wanted an education! A real education. Not whatever this was.

”Does it really need to be said? Our family is infamous for the Denjiton chakra type. This means that it is incredibly vital that you are in good condition to avoid outsiders that want the technique from attempting to harm or kidnap you. The other nations would kill to get their hands on your chakra or even just your corpse so that they could obtain our clan’s secret technique.” He began to explain. ”I’ve already told you how dangerous it is, why do I have to keep repeating myself about this everytime you are feeling lazy?”

”That’s the part I don’t get though. Why would I ever leave the capital? I’ve already looked into the statistics. Kumogakure isn’t likely to make additional enemies in the future, it is situated in an excellent location for trade - its safe, the walls are defended, so really this is all unnecessary.” She had looked at the numbers and was quite sure that she didn’t need all this extra effort. A few extra minutes of sleep would do her wonders and she would be able to take on the world even without any of this ridiculous training. What did a woman need this kind of work out for anyway? She would be a mom and a business owner, both were respectable for women. Sometimes she just couldn’t understand that old man.

”What about if you ever have to leave the village on business? Did you think of that?”

The obvious answer was no, and Asuka began to pull inwards with her body language. She shrunk down to defend her little ego that was bruised by her own lack of foresight as she considered her father’s words. He was right after all - she would likely have to leave the village on business if she wanted her work to succeed. The man, seeing no further argument lead her through the daily ritual.

She followed her father in a series of stretches, he claimed that getting limber was important especially before any work out. He also made sure to become limber with their chakra system. It was an exercise in control essentially, but it was important to make sure the chakra network was expanded to allow for easy flowing of chakra. It was such a strange phenomenon. The chakra network was necessary to life, but it was also a tool and a weapon. What purpose did it serve in the body? It was almost as if it was one of humans' own intrinsic weapons, but hadn’t it existed long before mankind had learned how to use it? Some people, in fact many people, went their whole lives without learning how to manipulate their own chakra.

They both sat in a meditative pose, seated with their legs extended because crossing the legs or kneeling actually did limit the blood and chakra flow to a degree. It was better to lay down, but she had fallen asleep doing this exercise in the past in that position and had gotten berated by her father, so now they did this just sitting up. Breathe in, and then when you breathe out, push the chakra through the network. After a few sets her father decided to bring the meat of the training for the day out. ”Okay, lets begin today’s training.” Her father moved to his feet and extended a hand down to her. She took it to her own feet.
1021 / 1000 +1 Chakra Pool
Last edited by HotelBravo on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

HotelBravo

13 Years Ago...

Post by HotelBravo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:10 am

”To expand your chakra pool there are two methods. The first is through using chakra constantly. The other is from concentrating chakra in your core which is done through meditation. Since we don’t have time to meditate and gather chakra into a core and compress it, we’ll use the other method which is through use of chakra.” Her father began to put their small camp away. Rolling the sleeping bag and storing the other equipment. Asuka followed suit, but putting her own equipment away and settling her back onto her shoulders at the same time that her father did his. ”So, we’re going to just be using jutsu the entire way while we travel? Is that what you’re implying by packing up the camp?” She asked as the weight of the pack settled on her shoulders. Her father gave her a wink in response.

”Just so.” Was the answer that came from her father. ”But this one is going to be a bit different. I’m going to place a fuuinjutsu on your belly that will absorb your chakra and keep you at low capacity. While this is happening you will need to focus on maintaining a jutsu. You need to be careful so you don’t fully empty your reserves, but just enough so that your inner chakra will develop the capacity for additional chakra. You see, your body will develop that which is broken down. This applies to muscles as well as to the spiritual nature of chakra. The more you use it the more chakra you are able to hold naturally. Lift up your shirt.” He instructed. He began forming a number of handseals while Asuka obediently lifted her shirt to reveal her navel. He slammed his palm against her belly, knocking the wind out of her lungs. She felt the lines of the seal begin to form and complete as they spread across her skin. It felt like lines of fire burning the seal into her very flesh. She collapsed to the ground and curled up around her burning stomach. She cried out in pain and in agony, but after the brief moment she felt the seal complete and immediate relief passed over her.

She could feel the seal going to work. It felt nauseating. It was like donating blood, you could feel your life being sucked out of you by a foreign parasite. Chakra was the life, just as much as blood was. Asuka wiped the cold sweat from her brow as she got back onto her feet. ”Oh wow. I /really/ do not like this.” She made sure to express her complaint. She lifted up her shirt and looked down at her belly button to see the black lines drawn in spikey like pattern. It reminded her of taps that were put into trees to obtain syrup from them. She let her shirt fall back into place and gave her father a look of incredulity. He gave a short shrug back in response. Alright, enough of that. Time to go. the man said.

Their journey continued across the paths that the old Ishiguro Nomads used to travel. Asuka felt like the trip was much more draining than it had been before, but she knew that this was actually the result of the seal. Everything felt so much more taxing. She had even taken for granted the fact that they had been taking shortcuts via just walking up sheer cliff sides on their journey, but suddenly with barely a drip of chakra to herself she found that her ability to walk on the walls was incredibly perilous. She could slip at any moment. Her first time slipping her father had caught her by the arm. He pulled her into his arms and cradled her until they arrived at a horizontal surface. She took a short break, while he had tied a rope around each other's waists. If she slipped and fell the rope would catch her. [color=#red]No more slipping. If you slip you’re just going to have to climb back up on your own now.[/color] He told her.

Asuka took a deep drink of water and wiped the excess from her lips. She was too out of breath to argue. She stowed away her canteen, and they were soon on their way up and around the mountain. She actually felt her heart flutter once she they had finally arrived at the little mountain village that was the objective for today. It was such a small town that it didn’t warrant a name, the people here just called it - the town - . Asuka had never been so grateful to see civilization. The buildings in this small town were made from wood gathered from the mountain side. It was a rugged yet hospitable looking place. The people out and about in the town couldn’t help but look at what the cat had dragged in - the two travelers who had foregone the road and just walked up the sheer cliff to reach their destination.

Small towns didn’t always have rooms, but it seemed that one of the local businesses did have a room that they could stay at for the night and hot water to bathe themselves in. ”We are extremely thankful for your generosity.” Asuka’s father had thanked the aging owner and placed a bag of ryo in the man’s hands. ”It’s not a problem at all, here is your key - please enjoy your stay in our small town.” The man returned a humble bow after accepting the patronage. Asuka was the first to use the hot water. It felt like elixir on her worn down muscles. She surprised to learn how much more she used her muscles when she wasn’t able to access her chakra. As she bathed her fingers traced that damn seal on her navel. Should she bother asking to remove it? That maniac of a father would likely say no.

Asuka didn’t hate being a woman, but right now she knew that the old man was wishing she had been born a son.

1033/1000 +1 chakra Pool

HotelBravo

13 Years Ago...

Post by HotelBravo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:15 pm

To Asuka the bed might as well have been made of clouds after all the traveling that they had done already. She had gotten used to sleeping on the cold ground with its rocks and roots and uneven terrain. It might have just been a futon but it felt like ambrosia to her body. It was strange kind of soreness to have one’s chakra pool so thoroughly taxed as it had been for the entirety of a day. It was a very physical and yet spiritual exhaustion. She had been able to ignore the sensation while traveling but now that she was resting she could feel the soreness in her chakra pool. It was such an uncomfortable and foreign feeling that it honestly made her feel sick. So she laid on her futon for the remaining period of the day. Her father eventually came to check on her, he removed the seal on her stomach to give her relief from her taxation of her chakra pool and she sighed with relief. Finally. She was able to drift off into sleep shortly after. In the morning, Asuka found herself awoken by the smell of breakfast and found herself mindlessly drawn to it. The older couple that ran the shop were busy cooking and her father was already seated at the table.

”Good Morning Young Miss!” The old store owner called. ”Please take a seat, food will be ready momentarily.” Asuka bowed gratefully to the pair of them and sat next to her father. She couldn’t help but smile at the small talk between the old man and his wife as they discussed the situation of their grandkids, and their grown children. Asuka found herself day dreaming and wishing for the same. It was cute. It would be so cute to grow old with the man of her dreams and be a cute little house wife and running an antique store in a quaint little village. This is what she wanted out of life. The slow life. She smiled dreamily.

”Asuka. Asuka! Are you awake?” Her father waved his hand in front of her eyes and she snapped back to consciousness, realizing now that she had been half asleep. She yawned and stretched. ”Alright I’m awake now.” She answered.

”How are you feeling?” He asked as the older couple arrived at the table and began to set dishes out in front of them. A plate with a lemon wedge and a fish. A bowl of rice. Miso soup with tofu. It was a simple and humble meal, but Asuka was starving like she had never been before. ”Itadakimasu!” Asuak cried out before breaking her chopsticks into two and began to dig in with little hesitation. A little bit of fish and a shovel full of rice, and finally the edge had been taken off. She sighed with relief as the pain in her stomach grew still under the weight of food. Fuel for further training. ”To be honest, I am exhausted in ways I didn’t know were even possible.” She answered him. ”I have never felt my literal chakra pool feeling…sore… It isn’t a pleasant feeling.”

Itadakimasu. Her father pressed his hands together then snapped his chopsticks in two as well. ”Soreness is a good sign. Working out ones chakra pool is a bit odd. Most people don’t go for this training method and instead go for, but the results really do speak for themself. It takes shinobi years to develop their chakra pool into something useful. You’re usually just stuck with what you were born with plus a little bit extra, but with this technique you can escape that limitation.” The older couple took a seat across from Asuka and her father.

”You’re training quite hard, are you shinobi then?” The older man clapped his hands together. ”Itadakimasu.” He said before digging into his own meal. His wife followed suit.

”I am, my daughter isn’t.”

”I’m more interested in starting my own shop. Like the both of you! Would you be willing to share with me any tips on how to get started?” Asuka asked with a genuine interest. The old man gave a hearty laugh.

”You praise me too much! I am quite surprised at your question. Why wouldn’t you want to become a shinobi like your father? It’s an honorable trade, and it seems your father is quite skilled after all? It seems like the best advice I could give you would be to learn the skills of your father. Thats what I did. My own family has been running this store for generations. When I was a boy I learned from my father how to tend the store. It is only unfortunately that my own children decided to move to the Kumogakure no Sato ” The old man bowed his head and tended to his own breakfast giving his wife a remorseful look. ”I don’t know who will take care of us when we are no longer able to run the shop since all of our children are gone. It is my most solemn wish that I could have passed this on to one of my sons.” He held his wife’s hand and squeezed it.

Asuka felt the wind taken out of her sails to a degree. She looked at her father, and it felt like the man could see what she was thinking. He placed his palm upon her head and patted it. ”Don’t worry about it too much.” She was worried though. She wanted to help these people from the bottom of her heart. A shinobi couldn’t do that kind of thing, but a woman of power and influence could. She swore in her hear that as soon as she got her own business up and running she would take care of these two even though she owed them nothing, and her stay here had been paid for by her own father.

1030/1000 +1 Chakra pool
Last edited by HotelBravo on Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

HotelBravo

13 Years Ago...

Post by HotelBravo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:09 am

Asuka and her father finished their meal and headed back to their rooms to pack their things for the next leg of the journey. Asuka was sorry to go, but she knew that in the moment she wouldn’t be able to relieve the old couple of their problems. She would need to finish this whole coming of age ceremony first and then she would be able to start her own business. Only after then could she ensure their future. The door to her room slid open and her father stepped in. It seemed he was already prepared. He set his pack on the floor and wordlessly began to help her with her own pack. ”How are you feeling daughter?.”

Yes. Like I said, My chakra itself is sore. I’ve never done anything like that before. Can’t we take a day off? I could probably make it to the next town but I just don’t have it in me to do more of that chakra training Asauka finished packing and slung her pack over her back. Her father walked over to her and gave her a hug and she made a face an amused expression. ”What was that for?” she asked, pulling away from him.

”Just proud father thoughts. I was just reminded of how much you’ve grown. In any case you are right, we will avoid putting any additional undue stress on your chakra system today. Alright, lets head off to our next destination. No seal and no chakra training, try to take it easy.” The pair made their way downstairs through the stair of the old couple. They bowed and waved their farewell as they proceeded to leave the small mountain town. ”Did you wish that I had been born a boy?” Asuka asked her father as they began their journey. The thoughts about the dreams of the old man wishing that he had a son that could inherit his store. After wallowing in her thoughts for a moment she looked up when she realized that her father hadn’t spoken.

The journey began to wind down the opposite side of the mountain. They were taking the road as to avoid using any chakra when one took the Ninja’s pathway down the mountain instead. ”What is this now?” The man chuckled, clearly he was avoiding the question. Asuka wouldn’t let this go though. It was another egg to crack, a mystery to solve. A problem to unlock. ”You treat me like you wish I was a boy. You are constantly forcing me to train and go on these camping trips, instead of letting me follow my mother’s career path instead. If you didn’t wish for a son what is the reasoning behind this?”

”Daughter, all father’s want a son. That doesn’t mean that I disparage you for being a young woman. I think I would possibly be less strict on a son. The truth is, I can see that we are going to be living through tumultuous times in the years ahead. I want you safe during this time, and the only way I can think of ensuring your safety is by making sure you are prepared. I am a shinobi, and that means I will be called to fight, and if necessary, die. If that happens -”

Asuka stopped in her tracks. ”For as strict as you are? I don’t see how that is possible? That won’t happen, not to you. You’re too skilled.” She put on a brave face but in her heart she felt the sting. There was something… fear? Fear that he was right, and that one day he would be gone? She couldn’t imagine a world where she was all alone without her father to help her. ”You think I’m that good do you?”

”Of course I do, nobody could ever beat you.” She gave a soft and playful punch to his shoulder. The truth of it was that she would never be able to beat him not even in a million years, and she couldn’t even imagine that anyone else could ever envision doing the same. At least, if they knew him, they would know that he wouldn’t be someone who would be so easily defeated. He gave a rueful smile and gestured for her to keep walking. ”Believe it or not, I’m not the best, although most cautious, now that's a title I think I can safely claim.”

The remainder of the journey down the mountain was down in abject silence. Asuka mulled over what her father had told her about being safe and the wars that were to cross the the land. How much did he know and how did he know it? It was within reason that as a jounin of Kumogakure no sato that her father would be privy to state secrets, but what he had just revealed to her made her scared. There was a beauty in ignorance. A type of peace that one had without ever knowing, and once lost could never be obtained again. Ignorance is bliss. Thats why they said it. The price of knowledge is the weight of responsibility.

Once they reached the bottom of the mountain they continued until nightfall. Her father found a suitable camping ground and they rolled out their sleeping bags. She shivered in the night as she climbed into her own sleeping bag. Her father insisted that they not use fire. While it protected them from wild animals and the cold, one thing it did not protect someone from were enemies in the countryside. This was the foolish side of his paranoia. Every night it was training to be on guard against unseen unknown enemies. Her father didn’t even sleep, he just pulled close to cuddle together with her and keep her warm and shield her from the wind. He would keep watch, but then when would he ever sleep? He was a man with endless energy and infinite caution. The idea that he could be defeated was so foreign, that despite hearing from his own mouth Asuka still couldn’t believe it.

1030/1000 +1 Chakra Pool
Last edited by HotelBravo on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

HotelBravo

13 Years Ago...

Post by HotelBravo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:42 pm

They got up the following morning and though her chakra pool was still sore the seal was placed back onto Asuka. She could already feel its draining effects as they put up camp and made their way over to the next town. It seemed an ordinary small town much like any other they had been through before. Asuka was looking around at the architecture, inspecting the differences between the style used here and the preferences from the mountain town they had left not even a few days ago. Suddenly someone bumped into her. She stumbled and struggled to catch her feet being exhausted from the travel and the effects of the seal draining her chakra. ”Watch where you’re going girl.” the man sneered before continuing on his way without another word. Asuka leaned forward and braced herself on her knees as she tried to catch her breath. She watched the man disappear wordlessly into the town. ”So rude!” She complained. Her father narrowed his eyes for a moment then turned to help her stand straight up.

”Very rude.” He agreed. ”Come on, why don’t we go get something to eat?” Asuka followed wordlessly. They wandered around to the main town plaza and found a restaurant accepting guests. Asuka and her father sat down at a table. They placed an order for a simple meal. Rice, Miso Soup, and broiled fish. Asuka dug in without a second thought. She finished in short order and her father was soon after. Their entire meal had been silent, being very frugal and practical people they had spared no time for talk while they had eaten.

”Did you enjoy the meal customer?” The Waiter came over to take the plates and bowls away. ”Quite. Can we get the check please?” The Waiter bowed. Soon after the waiter brought a small wooden plaque with the price written on it. ”Asuka, the money please?” He opened his hand and held it out to her. She rolled her eyes and reached into her bag searching for the coin purse. She paused with realization as she discovered it was not there. Where did it go? She began to search through her bag and backpack and then it hit her. ”Well?”

”That guy from the street who bumped into me! He must have stolen the money!” She looked at her father in horror. Why didn’t he stop them? He surely would have seen this whole thing happen right? The man folded his arms and nodded, ”I agree, that was likely the case - but what do we do now?” He asked her in returned. I’m going to hunt the little bastard -

Language.

Asuka sighed and started again. ”Then I’m going to hunt that little /WEASEL/ down and string him up until he hands over the money.” Asuka stood up from her seat and was about to head out the door when the waiter stepped in front of her.

”I’m sorry Customer, but you must pay for your meal before you leave.”

”The thing is, I don’t have the money - a thief stole all of my money and -” She began to tell them. She was cut off by her father. ”I apologize sincerely, would you be willing to accept my daughter as payment?” Asuka stamped her feet and turned and look at her father with an incredulous look. This man! What the hell was he doing? ”You can keep her here as collateral while I go obtain our money.” the waiter looked unsure of themselves. They called the owner over and her father gave him the same pitch.

”No! Take him instead! He is a skilled shinobi - and can keep the restaurant safe! I’ll get the payment and be back with the money.” Asuka pleaded her case to the restaurant’s owner. The man rubbed his beard in thought while he considered the options. ”Hmm…Shinobi are quite expensive. Agreed. The man will work for me, for free until he pays off both of your meals.” The owner clapped his hands together as he came to the conclusion. I hope you know what you are doing, daughter. I don’t want to work here for the rest of my life.

”Just leave it to me!” She proudly thumped her chest and went on the hunt. Only shortly after being on the hunt for such a brief period of time she quickly began to run out of steam. The seal was still on her belly and was absorbing her stamina and chakra. She was already out of breath after a short patrol around the village. Damn. How was she going to do this with this seal on? She really should have asked her father to remove the sealing jutsu before she had left. It was because she was feeling energized by her full stomach that she had forgotten about the drawbacks.

”Huh? Thats the guy!” Out of the corner of her eye she spotted the man who had robbed her slipping into an alley way. She leapt down from the roof she had climbed up and began to follow him. The man was being careful, making sure no one was tracking him by taking a variety of paths before finally he left town on a dirt road to a home some distance away. It was already getting dark. He thought he would get rid of her huh? She approached the home and was about to knock on the door when she paused, realizing how thin the walls and door was that she was able to easily hear what was being said inside. She crouched down and pressed her ear against the door and listened carefully to what was being said on the other side.

1000/1000 +1 Chakra Pool
Last edited by HotelBravo on Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lightning Empire”