That's Not My Name

Ein

That's Not My Name

Post by Ein » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:08 am

The building was an oddity out of place in the stone colored walls of Iwagakure no Sato--it had the faint traces of paint, rather than just being composed of typical stone color. It was baby blue, fading and peeling in large chunks, and it was a rather modest apartment of no real significance. It had the scars of poverty, age, and use but still managed to gleam in the sunlight.

Ishiko always did like that her apartment was painted baby blue. Despite it's age, it was still nice to look at. So the Genin spent another lazy afternoon doing nothing in particular, just ditching out on her unofficial restriction to the Tenma Compound. The people there were nice enough, but she didn't really enjoy being secluded from her own village. And so Ishiko leaned lazily against the rust-colored railing of the second floor of her modest little home, lost in a bit of thought as she surveyed the scenery of Iwa.

Mortalvis

That's Not My Name

Post by Mortalvis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:24 pm

"Mom, please, I heard you the first three times. Can I just go already?" Tobi dragged a gloved hand down his face in exasperation. His mother had been relentlessly badgering him about the expectations of their household and, as of lately, his blatant disregard for them. She was right, of course, but Tobi didn't need a lecture.

"See! This is exactly what I'm talking about, Tobika! You have no respect anymore. Pah! Your mentors would be ashamed to see such a respectless ninja." Tobi's mother, red-faced and furious, turned tail and left her unfazed son to himself.

Promptly deciding that he had no care for his mother's words, Tobi went out the front door with a To-Do list in hand. That was how their row had started; Tobi, wanting the day for himself, protested his mother's decision that his day would be spent running errands for her. As stubborn as they both were, the end was imminent but Tobi left unmoved by her wrath.

Putting their argument behind him, the genin set out down the street. He had no plans to do what she asked of him; instead, he thought that a walk through Iwagakure was in order. As he strolled down the streets of his village, he came to a gradual halt outside of a peculiar building. Of course, Tobi took no notice of it; he had stopped merely to deal with a pesky rock that had found its way into one of his boots.

"Bah. C'mon, get out."
Characters
RankCharacterVillageCompanionsSocialsMissions
B-Rank Missing-ninMiyamoto RikuKonohagakure no SatoN/A1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 71, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Ein

That's Not My Name

Post by Ein » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Ishiko quietly watched as the occasional passer-by came to and fro, and she even half-thought about talking to a few acquittance's, but somehow . . . she didn't feel like acting the way she was expected to act of certain people. It was exhausting, putting up a front when you just didn't feel that way.

Ishiko's cool, observing, and somewhat condescending eyes rested on a familiar figure that had paused along the street, screwing with his boot. Her shimmering eyes seemed to grow dim with distant apathy--he brought back memories of Oushi, trying to make her feel better. He brought back memories of the hospital, lying there while doctors experimented with her. He brought back memories of a sinister presence deep in her heart.

It was safe to say that the sight of him wasn't pleasant to Ishiko.

Still . . . she wanted to know something. Shutting her eyes and holding her fingers out in a hand-sign, Ishiko would disappear in a puff of smoke and re-appear in front of Tobi; a small, placid smile on her face as she'd, in an energetic manner, wave to him. Waving for about twenty seconds, Ishiko would pause, let out an playfully embarrassed little cough, and act a tad coy.

"Hey, um, I know that we don't really know each other, but we need to talk."
JutsuShow
*Shunshin no Jutsu [Body Flicker Technique]
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
Shunshin no Jutsu is a basic Ninjutsu technique. The ninja will appear and disappear in an instant, allowing them to retreat or attack suddenly. To facilitate the movement the ninja will often use nearby elements such as mist, sand or leaves to mask their appearance or disappearance.

Mortalvis

That's Not My Name

Post by Mortalvis » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:37 am

With a yelp, Tobi leaped back as Ishiko suddenly appeared before him. He wasn't much of a ninja; instead of getting defensive, he cowered back against the building until he saw who it was. Even through the obsidian lenses of his goggles, that blue hair was unmistakable.

"Ishiko?" he asked rhetorically, relaxing a bit in place. He really hadn't expected to see her again anytime soon--at least not without Oushi in their company. It certainly wasn't disappointing to see her outside of the hospital at least. Tobi worried himself a little after leaving Ishiko the last time, wondering about her and her overall well-being.

He scratched his head and looked down the street in both directions.

"Oh, t-that's fine... we can talk. What about?" Curious now, Tobi folded his arms across his chest and stared intently at her, quickly trying to think about what she could possibly want to talk about. Better yet, what they needed to talk about. At that, he gulped and waited to hear what it was.
Characters
B-Rank Missing-ninMiyamoto RikuKonohagakure no SatoN/A1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 71, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Ein

That's Not My Name

Post by Ein » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:59 am

"Oushi," she'd say, the words said simply and with deliberate purpose. She didn't seem to notice or mind Oushi's protégé's frightened reaction or the fact that he seemed a bit scared at her presence. Stepping over to the side very lightly and with little issue, Ishiko would have her hands come together, resting on the back of her head.

"I, uh, I want to know why he showed up at my hospital room." Just saying his name brought back memories that she had no right knowing--memories of an Oushi who looked and acted nothing like the goof she knew. "I want to know what he wants with me, and, well, you seem to be the closest thing he has to a best friend, so I figured I'd ask you."

Kicking at the dirt in a splendid fashion of managing to feel nonchalant and awkward at the same time, the young Genin tried her best to seem a tad confused and helpless.

Mortalvis

That's Not My Name

Post by Mortalvis » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:33 am

"Well, uh..." he stammered, looking for some words, "...not to burst your bubble or anything, but I barely know Oushi." He bowed his head apologetically, feeling a tad awkward himself.

She had asked him a similar question when they were at the hospital too, and even then he couldn't give her an answer. The persistence gave Tobi the feeling that there was something more going on than what he was already aware was happening.

"...R-Really, all he said to me that day was that he wanted to go visit a friend, and I agreed to come along." Tobi put his hands into his pockets and kept his eye contact with a rock on the ground.

"I think that if you really want an answer, you're going to have to ask Oushi himself... How do you guys know each other anyway? Does he just, like... go out and try to make friends with young kids?" He paused thoughtfully, having been wondering about it since he first met Oushi's second young friend, Ishiko.
Characters

Ein

That's Not My Name

Post by Ein » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:22 am

Ishiko would eye Tobi a bit, obviously unsatisfied with his answer and more than a little suspicious of his true motivations. She never did seem to believe much of what Tobi had said, especially now. Sekitan Oushi, a personal hero to Iwa, arriving at her hospital room with his tag-along and talking about . . . what? A road trip?

Oushi was close to the Tsuchikage, and had shown himself to be a particularly patriotic Iwa Ninja. So . . . what was he really doing at her room that night? Was she decided as the Nibi host even before the Nibi attacked?

She'd long shut her eyes and had these thoughts whirling in her head. Asking Oushi was the obvious solution, but . . . it was hard to consider trusting somebody so close to the man who openly condoned the librarian's actions. And so, for a good minute, Ishiko seemed to have completely ignored Tobi's pressence, before realizing that there was still a Genin in front of her. Indulging these thoughts further would just put her in a foul mood, and he was probably just some Genin Oushi happened to take a liking to . . . yeah, no. That's just ridiculous.

"I, uh, haven't had a chance yet," Ishiko said, quickly searching for a half-truth and brushing back a lock of blue hair. "And, it's kind of a funny story and all . . . except not really, ya see," quickly weighing her options, Ishiko figured telling the truth was for the best. Pausing for a moment, she'd reconsider how she met Oushi, and giggle in-spite of herself and all these serious conspiracy theories. "I, uh," chuckling a bit as she remembered the whole ordeal. "I was attacked by one of his pets. My first impression of him was that he had to be some dofus to parade around the street with a zoo following him. And . . . he helped me." Smiling, Ishiko recounted how Oushi was pretty much a goof. "He just seemed too nice to be a Jounin. Way too nice to be somebody who . . . does the sorts of thing he does."

She let the words hang for a moment, and then she'd glance up to Tobi, still caught up in the nostalgia of her first encounter with the Gargoyle of the Mountains. "How'd you meet him, anyway?"

Mortalvis

That's Not My Name

Post by Mortalvis » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:09 am

Listening carefully, Tobi nodded a few times as he listened to Ishiko partially divulge the answer to his question. He couldn't shake the feeling that he was only getting part of it, but he knew that now wasn't the time to press for more. Instead, he shrugged and prepared to reply to Ishiko's returned question.

"I had breakfast with him one day and then didn't seem him again until I found him drunk in that alleyway. I don't know him very well, but he seems nice enough... it's the animals that make me worry." He laughed nervously, rubbing the back of his head. All he had left out of his account was the unfortunate goat rides that he got on both encounters.

Tobi watched Ishiko through the lenses of his goggles, curiously monitoring her expressions. The longer they stood together, the more he wished that Oushi was there. Ishiko didn't seem like she was wholesomely enjoying Tobi's company; it was more like Tobi was the next closest thing, which only made him feel worse that he couldn't give her the answers she was looking for.
Characters

Ein

That's Not My Name

Post by Ein » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:06 pm

Ishiko nodded thoughtfully, before stopping in mid-nod. "Drunk?" She asked, feeling a faint mixture of surprise and amusement.

So, Tobi is completely useless in acquiring any answers. He's just a Genin that happens to know Oushi, and I just came to him expecting all my questions to be answered. Genius.

Do you really think so? A sliver of darkness passed over the young Genin's face, glaring directly into Tobi. It passed over in one tenth of a second, but Ishiko's eyes held genuine disbelief and suspicion. Immediately after, her frown and glare curved instantaneously into a genuine smile. One could even see she didn't even notice the glare.

Smiling to hide her displeasure, Ishiko would give Tobi a playful punch on the shoulder. "I'm sorry, it seems like every time you see me I'm in some foul mood for some reason or another." Even as caught up in her own little world as she was, Ishiko started to get the feeling that she'd been prodding and far too demanding of a Genin she hardly knew.

"Let's . . ." pausing, she'd smile faintly. "Let's start over," holding out her right gloved hand, Ishiko would offer a toothy, flashy smile. "I'm Ishiko--and it's a pleasure to re-meet ya!"

Just because you have a demon of destruction and malice sealed inside of you doesn't mean you get to be an self-serving drama queen who wallows in their own tragedy. Well, at least for the first two weeks you can, but afterwards there just is not excuse.

Mortalvis

That's Not My Name

Post by Mortalvis » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:31 pm

Tobi was a little surprised at Ishiko's sudden suggestion that they should 'start over'. He hadn't been bothered by her mood, let alone allowed it to affect what he thought of her as a person. Sure, he barely knew her, but Tobi didn't take first impressions (or even second impressions) to heart.

"Heh... I'm Tobi. Nice to meet you too, Ishiko," he replied, speaking as though he had just been introduced to her. Tobi smiled at his fellow genin, and then started to laugh a little.

"Should I start stuttering and acting like I've never met another human being before?" He made a lofty jab at how their first enounter took off. Tobi regretted that he was such a bumbling idiot that time, but even if they had started over, he had already started to feel comfortable in Ishiko's presence, much like how he felt in Oushi's.

"Ah, anyway... should we maybe go look for Oushi or something?"
Characters

Ein

That's Not My Name

Post by Ein » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:49 pm

The Genin seemed happy to have her own weird little gesture accepted, shaking hands with Tobi and sighing satisfied. "The pleasure is all mine, Tobi." Ishiko almost caught herself adding a suffix, but that'd be weird, right? Tobi didn't use suffixes, so why should she? Considering Tobi's words, she shrugged her shoulders at the re-mentioning of Oushi's name, "I wasn't really looking for him, ya know? I'll see him when I see him, and I'm good not rushing that."

Pausing, she'd stare at Tobi, or more specifically, his goggles. "Why haven't we met before? Were you part of a different class or something?" Her right hand would come up and, with a slow, cautious gesture, she'd reach out and poke the orange lens. "What did you have in mind by 'something'?" She asked, prodding the lens a bit hard at the end of her question as if to add emphasis.

Mortalvis

That's Not My Name

Post by Mortalvis » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Tobi moved his head back a bit as Ishiko prodded the lenses of his goggles. It wasn't so much that he cared, but he wasn't used to having figures poking at his face. Nonetheless, he smiled somewhat and shrugged.

"I'm pretty good at avoiding people. Besides, I don't come from a family of ninja anyway... Mom and dad are average folk, so I've never really been part of the 'ninja community'. I only got involved because I like playing with fire." At that, Tobi held up his index finger and caused a small flame to appear for a moment before being extinguished.

A sigh ensued soon after and he dipped his head slightly at Ishiko. "And to tell you the truth, I'm not much of a ninja to begin with. Not cut from the same cloth as other genin, I guess you could say..." he trailed off, realizing that his tangent was far from the question that Ishiko asked.

"I didn't really have anything in mind when I said 'something'. I was kind of just out for a walk anyway. I'm not an idea guy." Smiling humbly, Tobi tried his best to stay in a good mood, but the topic of ninjas had brought him down a notch.
Characters

Ein

That's Not My Name

Post by Ein » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Ishiko paused her poking, taken aback by the insecurity Tobi just shared with her. She'd pause for a bit, withdrawing her hand and trying to be a bit less annoying. A light, brief chuckle came from her lips, and she'd hold up her index finger and allow a small flicker of a flame to dance at her tips. It danced between them for a moment, and she'd snuff it out with a grin.

"That's an awesome reason to become a Ninja, Tobi. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, cause most people in Iwa just don't know how sweet it is to be able to play with fire that you can make just by thinking it." She'd motion for Tobi to follow her onto the side-walk and, in a nonchalant manner, began to walk Tobi through a poorer neighborhood of Iwa.

"And, well, what does make a Ninja anyway, Tobi? I mean, playing with fire and making stuff blow up is fun and all, but what really makes us Ninja, and what makes you any less of a Ninja than anybody else?" She strolled as she asked these questions, asking lightly and with her eyes glancing towards Tobi to see his reaction.

Mortalvis

That's Not My Name

Post by Mortalvis » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:12 pm

That was a thinker. Tobi strolled alongside Ishiko, clasping his hands together behind his head. He wasn't quite sure how to answer her because he knew there wasn't really much of a answer to give. Giving himself a moment to mull it over, Tobi eventually glanced at Ishiko and shrugged his shoulders.

"Honor, respect, bravery, vigilance... textbook stuff. I can't jump super high, or throw a kunai, or even tell you much about how chakra works. Heck, this morning my mom said that my mentors would be ashamed of me as a ninja." Tobi stopped walking and looked down at his feet.

"For a while I tried to train and be a better ninja. I tried that whole 'ninja way' business and ended up breaking down. It's... disappointing sometimes, but I'm just not virtuous enough to be what's expected of me. My parents are really hard on the textbook ninja type because they don't have a clue what it's really like. They don't know how hard it is. They don't understand the risks involved or the sacrifices that need to be made just to protect your village."

Tobi's stare remained on his feet, his shoulders slouched and his head hung.

"Ninjas make a lot of sacrifice that normal people don't understand. The sacrifices that I've made are small compared to some shinobi, but there are plenty of people in this village that still wouldn't understand that even a small sacrifice for the life of a ninja is more than they'll ever have to give." Obviously, Tobi had a lot bottled up inside of him about this. Very rarely did he find the time to say it, let alone another human being to say it to.

Clenching his fists, Tobi took a deep breath and then shook his head.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to rant."
Characters

Ein

That's Not My Name

Post by Ein » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Ishiko was just about to convey her views on being a Ninja, and offer Tobi a feel-good speech about how every Ninja should do their part. Her question was more rhetorical than anything to her, really. Meant to make Tobi feel better, not to start a debate on the purpose of being a Shinobi.

Ishiko watched Tobi as he continued through his words, but as he continued, as his words continued to weigh heavier and heavier on Ishiko, she felt her head drop, staring at her own two feet as they walked.

As the two walked, and as Tobi's words continued, they delved deeper and deeper into one of Ishiko's favorite part of Iwagakure. Her home; a sizable area that spanned for a few blocks and was composed of solid stone, cracked and worn around the edges. There were no houses, but apartment complexes, five or seven stories high that housed families and Iwa's people. The streets were dusted over with dirt, and led into a labyrinth of alleys and crooks and crannies between the apartments, darkened by shadows and whatever hid in those shadows.

And although the streets were old, the buildings worn, and the conditions poor, when the sun hit the neighborhood just right, well, Ishiko thought it was beautiful. There was still beauty here, and it was places like this one that made it worth Ishiko to serve Iwagakure.

As Tobi stopped, Ishiko continued on a bit, absorbed in the architecture of the place. Watching the occasional passer-by with fascination. Tobi finished, and Ishiko felt a lump in her throat as she turned to look back at him with a steady, focused gaze.

"They're not supposed to under our duty, Tobi. They just aren't," she spoke softly and slowly, walking back towards him. "We don't do this because we want their recognition, or at least we shouldn't." Pausing, she'd bite her lip, and stare at her feet again. "I--I get you, I really do. I know that sometimes it feels like you're not good enough to be what's expected of you."

She'd take a breath, not sure what she was trying to say. Tobi had stirred something inside of Ishiko, and she felt that she needed to say it. Even if it felt out of place here. "But I think you already knew that, right? You already knew that, but it still doesn't feel like enough, does it? Enough to really give you a reason." She'd stop just in front of him, her hands would reach out and, in a slow motion, lift up the goggles over Tobi's eyes, should he let her.

"Tobi, do you have anything precious to you? Anyone?"

Mortalvis

That's Not My Name

Post by Mortalvis » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:37 pm

Tobi stood still as Ishiko moved his goggles. Under their obsidian lenses were a pair of pretty blue eyes; it was a wonder why he hid them.

"No... No, I don't," he replied. Tobi's voice was hardened and emotionless, but the watery look of his eyes spoke volumes about how he was feeling. It was difficult to stand there and say no so fluently to something like that. It was the truth, but it wasn't something he wanted to be true.

Tobi had been very much alone his entire life. He was an only child with no friends and parents who were just as understanding as strangers would be. At first glance, he seemed distant rather than troubled. In truth, wars raged inside him constantly with no outlet for the madness, and so it grew to unbearable proportions.

Despite his self-made troubles and internal conflict, Tobi was a good kid and that often came through more strongly than the emotional ache that clung inside of him. If anyone found out that he was so twisted up inside, he knew how pathetic he would seem. He led a good life. Nothing to cry about. No poverty, no loss... what did he have to feel so upset about? He couldn't answer that. He didn't know. All he knew at the moment was that his answer to Ishiko's question was the truth, no matter how much he wished it wasn't.

"I just... don't call anything precious. Precious things have a habit of getting lost or broken," he said quietly, finally averting his gaze from Ishiko. A sudden worry welled up inside of the genin and he turned slightly away from the girl.

"...Maybe I should go. I think I'm stepping on that 'starting over' thing we did to get off to a better start." As much as he tried to, Tobi could barely muster a soft, apologetic smile.
Characters

Ein

That's Not My Name

Post by Ein » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Ishiko took a deep breath, suddenly feeling the weight of a burden on her shoulders. The same sort of burden she took on constantly from others, but Tobi . . . it was as though he was happy as he was.

Happy not to care for anyone in particular, not even his own mum? Or a close friend?

"I--" words choked up in her throat, and Ishiko was caught between trying to be understanding and out-right condemning Tobi for his confession. It was a bit much for a second meeting, and it wasn't as though Ishiko had prepped for this. This was supposed to be a simple discussion in which she explained to him that he too had a place as a Shinobi and as long as he kept true to protecting Iwa, he'd find meaning in his work.

Why did he have to go and complicate things? This was supposed to be a simple fix, after all. Ishiko stared at Tobi, her hands dropping to her sides sluggishly and as though they were massive weights.

Ishiko was angry. Angry at Tobi for making everything complicated. She was annoyed. Annoyed at herself for not having the words or wisdom to make it all better. And she was captivated by the blue hues of Tobi's eyes, staring into them and wondering at who they existed behind gaudy, big goggles.

"I--I like your eyes, Tobi." Volumes of hurtful insults were held in check. The urge to yell was kept at bay. The deep desire to smack Tobi across the face, however, did seem oh-so-tempting. "And don't be sorry for . . ." trying to find the words. "I mean, you did lay some pretty heavy stuff on me, but--" wasn't she supposed to be one of the most brilliant Genin of her class? "Life is like, ya know . . ."

Stopping herself mid-breath and sighing, Ishiko slumped her shoulders and kicked at the dirt in the ground. "I just want to help you. Because when other people are hurting, when other people are in pain, I can't stand it. I don't like to watch people suffer, ya know?"

Taking another deep breath and collecting her thoughts, "I'm sorry for ruining your day. I'm stupid like that--I say the wrong things and screw things up when I try to be all-knowing. But, ya know, I just want you to know that I want to help. Anyway I can, Tobi. And, well, I'm sorry you feel this way . . . and, uh, if you need anything, I'd love to help. In anyway I can." the words started to become muddled and confused again, so Ishiko tried to quit while she was ahead, before she started rambling on again.

"You really do have nice eyes, and you shouldn't hide them behind those goggles." Yeah. Word vomit.

Mortalvis

That's Not My Name

Post by Mortalvis » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:34 pm

Unsure of how to feel at that moment, Tobi tried to laugh a little, although he knew that what had transpired between them could not be remedied by some sudden lighthearted laughter. The chuckle faded into the abysmal silence that plagued every moment that there wasn't a word from either genin. It made Tobi nervous, and moreover, it made him scared; he was scared of what else might spill past his lips.

"Well, uh... thanks," he muttered, rubbing the back of his head bashfully. He never really knew how to respond to compliments, even from his parents (which were rare to begin with). Somehow, though, Ishiko's compliment to him struck him a little differently than usual. Had she really meant it? Maybe... he wasn't really sure, but the boy didn't put his goggles back over his eyes even after he could.

"Ishiko..." Tobi began, his voice barely audible. He looked as though he were prepared to say something long and winded, but he paused and smiled at her instead.

"I still think I should get going. I've got stuff to do for my mom..." he trailed off. When he left the house that day, he hadn't intended to do anything that his mother asked him to do. After his talk with Ishiko, no matter how depressing it may have been, he felt energized and void of some of that negative energy that he was so often brought down by.

"It was... good talking to you again. I'll see you around." He turned around and took a few steps forward, his feet dragging a bit in the dirt.

"Oh, and Ishiko?" Tobi turned around, smiling at her more brightly than he had at any human being in the last three years.

"Thanks. The word had a different sound to it than anything else he had said that day. It sounded... pure, in a way. It was sincere in its meaning and concise in its message. He meant it, and he meant the warm smile that he was wearing too.

With that, Tobi turned around and proceeded down the street on his way home, feeling a little more insightful than he had when he left home that morning.

[OoC: I figure your post can wrap things up. I feel pretty satisfied with what's here and think it's a good place to end it. If not, just say so.]
Characters

Ein

That's Not My Name

Post by Ein » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:08 am

[OOC: I've spent a little bit of time thinking about a good ending, but your post just about wraps it up.

Yeah, this is a good place to end. I'll just turn in the social.]

Return to “Rock Country”