No Particular Place to Go

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:13 pm

It had been a week, and Oushi swayed back and forth gently with a vapid grin on his face. He was sitting cross-legged on Shuu's broad back, and Habi was curled around his shoulders. Behind him Patsu trotted contentedly along, a massive canvas bag on his back and Fubuki was sitting on top of it, happy to have a perch so high up that moved. The little group was headed toward the Wall, where Oushi had agreed to meet Tobi and Ishiko.

At the Wall, Oushi hopped off of Shuu's back and looked around to see if either of the genin had beaten him. Seeing that it wasn't the case, he whistled loudly, summoning two Kinjuu guards from seemingly nowhere.

"We're heading out in a minute, guys. You've memorized your protocols in the event something happens while I'm gone?"

"Sure thing, Boss."

"Good."

To anyone else, the exchange would have seemed disrespectful, but more interesting should have been the fact that two forty-something year old shinobi were reporting to someone half their age. It was a testament to Oushi's leadership skill that the men felt so comfortable around someone of his rank, and indeed was a dynamic unique to Oushi and the men under his command.
CharactersShow
[Rank] Genin • Iwagakure no Sato • Shin
Missions Accomplished: Shinfo Mission

[Rank] Jounin • Konohagakure no Sato • Tsutomu
Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow
[Rank:] Bannin • Iwagakure no Sato • Sekitan OushiHanpatsuFubuki HabikuroShuuchaku

[Rank:] D-Rank Missing-Nin • Sunagakure no Sato Mamoru

[Rank:] Chuunin• Kirigakure no Sato • Orai, Kouu

[Rank:] Genin • Kumogakure no Sato • Shitagane, Iori

Mortalvis

Post by Mortalvis » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Neither of Tobi's parents were home; their timing was most excellent. Several days ago, it had been decided that Tobi's only way onto this road trip that he, Oushi, and Ishiko were taking to River Country was to run away, regardless of how his parents would respond. Of course, he would not be leaving without a written note to inform them of where he had gone. He wasn't rebellious (or horrid) enough to disappear without a word.

Setting the note on the kitchen counter, Tobi gathered his things into a large messenger bag. Tobi was told that the basics were covered, which he assumed meant food, water, and shelter, so the boy only packed what would make the trip easier on him personally.

In the bag (and the pockets of the bag), Tobi had packed a small blanket, a bag of marshmallows, a canteen full of water (just in case), a harmonica, some candles, soap, and money. A lantern had been clipped onto a ring loop that hanged from one of the bag's pockets.

"Well... I guess that's everything. Time to get going," he said to himself, glancing at the clock. He wasn't late, but he would be if he didn't get a move on right then.

Tobi left the house, locking the door with his personal house key, and started for the meeting spot that was set out by Oushi. The entire walk there, he wondered if he had forgotten anything important. He kept telling himself that he hadn't, but he had never been away from his things for more than a day at the most, so leaving them behind would be difficult without some discontent.

That queer uneasiness dissipated quickly as Oushi came into view, promptly replaced with giddiness. Hoisting his bag up a little, Tobi quickened his pace to close the distance between the bannin and he.

"Hey, Oushi," he greeted, somewhat breathlessly.

Tobi was looking a little different today, attire-wise. Instead of his usual, overly large, blue sweater, he was sporting a dark blue hoodie that fit much better. With sleeves that didn't obscure his hands, Tobi's large industrial gloves looked even more out of place than usual. It was the same case with his new pair of dark blue jeans in relation to his bulky, black combat boots. In addition, Tobi was without his hat; for now, it was safely tucked within his bag. It was certainly different... but there was only one thing to really wonder: if he owned clothes like this, why did he insist on modeling that baggy attire that he was usually seen wearing?

Well...

"Where's Ishiko?"
Characters
RankCharacterVillageCompanionsSocialsMissions
B-Rank Missing-ninMiyamoto RikuKonohagakure no SatoN/A1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 71, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:32 pm

"Hi Tobi! Ready to go?" Oushi was equally enthusiastic, as he was wont to do when doing anything outside the village. He loved Iwa, but being born a free spirit in a walled city made him a little stir crazy from time to time.

"What do you mean, 'Where's Ishiko?'? I thought genin all knew each other." he looked puzzled for a second.

"Well, nothing to do but wait. She can't be long, right?" he sat back down on Shuu's back, who shuffled under his master's weight, but didn't protest. "So, any trouble with your parents?"
CharactersShow

Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow
[Rank:] Bannin • Iwagakure no Sato • Sekitan OushiHanpatsuFubuki HabikuroShuuchaku

Mortalvis

Post by Mortalvis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:54 pm

"Well..." Tobi began, toeing the dirt at his feet. He was afraid that Oushi might send him back if he told him the truth. "No, no trouble. They didn't say much, really."

Instead of lingering on the subject, the genin tried to busy himself with keeping an eye out for Ishiko. Fifteen minutes passed, and there still was no sign of the blue-haired girl.

"I guess she's not coming..." Tobi mumbled, his spirits sinking. He couldn't shake the feeling that this had something to do with the talk she had with him a few days back.

"Are we just going to go?"
Characters
B-Rank Missing-ninMiyamoto RikuKonohagakure no SatoN/A1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 71, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:42 pm

[OoC: This does not bode well for the Gods of Roadtrips. We must appease them. With banjo.]

A child dragged past a candy store by a parent couldn't look more dejected than Oushi did at that moment.

"But she...I mean, if we..." looking around, the bannin made to a nearby rooftop to look around. The sun was climbing higher in the sky, and they were losing daylight. Able to see for several miles in most directions, it was abundantly clear that Ishiko wasn't coming. The ground around him made a dull, reverberating thud as Oushi casually stepped back off the roof and landed flat footed.

"Ragfragglescrumblemuffinhrumphscrumfinsnagglepusscatshumphreybogart." the bannin grumbled as he made his way back toward the little caravan. For a moment, he looked back and forth between the two guards, the sky, and his would-be traveling companion. Then he sighed.

"Fine, I guess we'll have to go without her." he mumbled. "Go ahead and open it up guys."

With that, the two Kinjuu members nodded, performing a fairly complex series of handseals before starting a rather large tunnel through the wall. Before following them, Oushi leapt atop the bag on Patsu's back, causing Fubuki to flap his wings to keep balanced. Rummaging through the massive satchel, Oushi pulled out a banjo.

"A little something to lighten the mood, eh?"
he smiled, taking a seat on Shuu's back and plucking off a few notes. As the little caravan moved through the tunnel, the strings twanged and echoed off the walls of the tunnel as Oushi hummed along.

The walk through the tunnel took almost a minute, giving both genin and bannin alike time to reflect on just how massive the defense of Iwa actually was. But soon, the two guards hit daylight and the little caravan was on its way. Bleating with joy, Patsu galloped ahead, causing the pack to wobble crazily and Fubuki to desert his perch for the comfort of the air.

"Wait, you stupid mule headed-!..." Oushi yelled, only to stop and shake his head. "Forget it, at least he's headed in the right direction."

The bannin turned to the guards and nodded curtly, then turned to Tobi and pointed dramatically at the horizon with a stupid grin on his face.

"Quickly my young friend! Follow that goat!"
CharactersShow

Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow

Mortalvis

Post by Mortalvis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:05 pm

This was going to be a long trip...

Tobi followed Oushi through the tunnel, somewhat enthused by the fact that the Bannin had brought along an instrument too. He couldn't wait to break out his harmonica and surprise the bannin that he was a capable 'musician' too.

That became far less important the moment Tobi stepped into the daylight that engulfed him upon leaving the tunnel. Never--not a single time in his fourteen years of breathing--had he been outside the protective walls of Iwagakure. Dumbstruck by this realization, Tobi pushed his goggles up from his eyes to take a good look at the world outside of his village.

"I take my first step into a new world, and I'm already back to doing the same old things," he mentioned sarcastically.

"Oh, screw it. Let's go!"

At that, Tobi pronounced his worries forgotten; they had been left on the other side of Iwa's walls, and the boy had no intention of collecting new ones in the days to come.
Characters

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 pm

"Hyah!" Oushi swatted Shuu playfully on the wolverine's rump, who took that as an excuse to chase after Patsu. The bannin quickly realized that he was about to lose Tobi, so with a disgruntled sigh, he rolled backward off the animal, landing hard on the packed earth with a thud, but holding the banjo straight up in the air. Habi, who'd rolled up into a ball just before impact, carried on rolling after the other two, leaving Oushi by himself

"It's okay, it's okay. The banjo's intact." he said triumphantly as he stood and dusted himself off. Slinging the instrument's strap over his shoulder he put his hands in his pockets and began walking beside Tobi.

"Look at that sunrise. You know, some days watching the sunrise was the only thing that would get me out of bed in the mornings when I was in the Academy. Sometimes it still is." Oushi took a deep breath of the still-crisp morning air.

"So, what's new with you?"

CharactersShow

Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow

Mortalvis

Post by Mortalvis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:19 pm

Tobi hadn't been paying much attention to Oushi until the bannin was next to him. He was still taking in the environment, which had the allure of a foreign land. There might not have been much to look at, but Tobi had his eyes on anything that was out there to see.

"Huh? Oh... nothing really. I did see Ishiko again a few days ago. And that's about it. I've been busy planning for this trip more than I've done anything else." Tobi paused and looked at Oushi.

"You know, this is my first time outside of Iwa. I never had a genin team so I never got to go on missions. I know what's out here isn't all that exciting, but it's new to me and I actually feel kind of calm for once. Like... I left all my problems behind and this is a new place with a new start."

A little chuckle came from Tobi, and he looked out onto the horizon.

"I'm sure you've seen tenfold what I've seen. Good and bad... so I don't know why I'm talking to you about this."
Characters

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 pm

"So you mean...you've never seen any of this?" Oushi was stunned. "I mean yeah there's not much to this place in particular, but you've never left the city? Well, the city's pretty big, but...wow."

Suddenly it occurred to the bannin that it was now his responsibility to catch his younger friend up on everything he'd missed in the last couple of years as a genin. Perhaps not for the best. The next several hours were spent explaining the world as Oushi knew it, which basically consisted of food, missions, giant monsters, evil spirits, wild animals and the occasional pretty farmgirl. In short, life from Oushi's point of view was pretty good.

"And that's why you always keep a flask handy when you're dealing with the undead." Oushi laughed. The two ninja were approaching Habi, Patsu and Shuu, who were looking down a massive cliff.

"Ah. Well, I think we can make camp here tonight. Iwagakure actually rests at the top of a massive not one but two plateaus called the Owari and the Katan Plates. This would be the edge of the Owari. From here on out it's nothing but steppes until we come to the end of the Katan plate and down into Grass Country. Patsu, you furface, get over here."
Oushi called out to the goat, who obliged with little emotion.

Walking over to one side of the massive pack Patsu had been carrying, the bannin unlashed some of the ropes and hefted the load down onto the ground, whereupon Patsu took a running leap into the air, only to land on his back and roll around deliciously in the dirt for a few minutes.

"Hey Tobi, you're a Katon user right? Think you could find some brush to start a fire with? I've got some flame logs in here, but I'd rather save 'em for a rainy day if we can."

CharactersShow

Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow

Mortalvis

Post by Mortalvis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:49 pm

It was a lot to take in; Oushi's tales, that is. Although he didn't do much more than nod, ask a few questions, and listen, the bannin's explanation of the world was not lost on the boy. In fact, it was almost as endearing to Tobi as a tale a father would tell his young son, inspiring thoughts of a magical world not yet explored.

As the two Iwa-nin came to the cliff's edge, Tobi could feel the throbbing pain in his legs from being unused to the whole walking thing.

While Tobi quietly cursed his terrible fitness, he nodded to Oushi. It wouldn't be too hard to gather some dry brush; there seemed to be plenty of it around the area. He bee-lined for whatever caught his eye, inspected it, and gathered it if it seemed good enough to use for a fire. And if there was one thing that Tobi knew, it was fires and how to start them.

The genin returned with a modest amount of good fire-building material and set it down at their makeshift camp.

"This should burn pretty well," he said as he gathered up some stones to make a rough perimeter around the dry brush. After it was positioned to his liking, Tobi crouched down next to the fire pit and ignited a small flame on the tip of his index finger. He let the flame catch onto the material, quickly withdrew his hand, and proceeded to lazily fall back on to his rear.

"Ugh, my legs are aching. I haven't walked so much in... well, forever." He looked to Oushi, curiously watching the older man.

Reluctantly, Tobi asked, "...Need any more help?"
SpoilerShow
Katon • Matchbook Fingers [Fire Element • Matchbook Fingers]

This technique lights a fire at any fingertip (or even multiple ones) for purposes such as lighting candles. It's not made for battle, and is mostly just for how handy it can be elsewhere. The flame is tiny but it can reach a full height of an inch. If kept lit, it lasts two (2) posts, but can be turned on and off much like a lighter.
Characters

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:56 pm

"Not just yet" Oushi's voice was muffled inside the bag as a small avalanche of supplies poured out around him. Presently, he emerged with two steel rods and stuck them in sleeves on the bag's sides. For a second, he disappeared behind the back of the bag before the two rods bowed up, ballooning the bag to its full size and original shape: that of a rather large tent, with the opening Oushi had been digging through as the doorway.

The bannin stepped inside the tent and reemerged with two slightly shorter metal rods wrapped in the same canvas cloth as the tent he'd just set up, which he tossed in Tobi's general direction.

"I brought cots for two and there's plenty of room for two in the big tent, but here's a spare, just in case you like your privacy. Setup's pretty simple but lemme know if you need help. Meanwhile, I'll start dinner."

Back inside the tent, Oushi shuffled around for a minute before approaching the fire with an impressively sized hunk wrapped in white paper.

"Meat." he grinned, "Not much to hunt up here on the steppes, but once we get down into the lowlands we should eat almost this well for most of the trip."

With the package under one arm, he formed a short series of handseals, and a wicked-looking spike shot up out of the ground at an angle over the fire. Oushi casually opened the paper and skewered the meat before walking back into the tent and coming back with what looked like a largish pepper shaker.

"Special blend my grandpa taught me. Makes dead animals sing." he said, shaking a generous amount of some unknown spices on the meat.

Content that his job was done for the moment, Oushi sat down crosslegged across from the fire, facing back in the direction they'd come to watch the sunset.
SpoilerShow
Doton Doton Kasui Soushi [Earth Element Earth Spike Creation]
C-Rank Ninjutsu
Prerequisite: Doton Iwa Soushi [Earth Element Rock Creation Skill]
By using the skills learned in Iwa Soushi, the user is now able to raise solid stone spikes from the ground. The user can summon however many of these pikes he/she wishes, as long as they provide enough chakra for them to completely form. If these spikes were to actually be raised beneath an opponent, it would cause serious, even fatal injuries. This technique is more often used to obstruct the user's opponents, and even to harm them while they are distracted.
CharactersShow

Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow

Mortalvis

Post by Mortalvis » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Another first for Tobi: camping. The furthest he had ever gone from his own bed to sleep was at a relative's house, who lived a measly five blocks away from his home. The boy wasn't sure how to feel about sleeping out in the wilderness, but he felt safe enough with Oushi and his zoo hanging about.

Looking at the bundle of metal poles that he had been given, he said, "Eh... I think I'd rather just sleep in the big tent. Less, uh... cleanup tomorrow when we leave."

Truth be told, as much as Tobi enjoyed his privacy, he was a little too bothered by the thought of sleeping alone in an unfamiliar place, especially outside.

As the meat was seasoned and well on its way to being a delicious meal, Tobi took a deep breath, filling his lungs with both the smell of the meat and the smoke from the fire--it was hard for him to decide which smelled better.

"Smells great already. I'm starving," cooed the hungry genin, taking a seat near Oushi.

"Don't your animals mind... you know... that?" Tobi gestured to the meat, more captivated by its smell than the sight of the sunset.
Characters

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:00 pm

"Why would they? Two of them are carnivores, one eats insects, and if Patsu's got a problem with it, he's never said anything." Oushi chuckled dryly. It wasn't especially clear whether or not he was being serious about talking to his goat, though.

Over the flames, the pork shoulder cracked and sizzled deliciously, and the bannin seemed as eager to tie in as Tobi, perhaps a little more so. However, he busied himself with feeding his pets for a minute. A small tin of ants for Habi, a fist full of carrots and cabbage for Patsu, a package of meat for Shuu and what looked like a ham bone for Fubuki. This last item was thrown high up into the air and caught by the bird before it had a chance to start falling back downward. Fubuki then rocketed skyward until he was almost a speck in the deepening dusk. A second later, the ham bone shattered on a rock and the bird circled lazily back down to the ground, where he contentedly picked at the marrow among the remains.

Meanwhile, Oushi returned to the fire with two metal plates as another earthen spike popped out of the ground by his side. Two kunai flashed from somewhere within his vest as he stabbed each side of the meat, lifting it fluidly off of one spike and sticking it firmly on the other, away from the flame. Cutting off a generous portion onto one of the plates, he handed it to Tobi before cutting off an even larger hunk for himself.

"Well, what do you think of the world outside so far? Not such a scary place, eh?"
any wisdom or reverence for the topic Oushi's tone might have had was lost in a mouthful of meat.
CharactersShow

Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow

Mortalvis

Post by Mortalvis » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:43 pm

"It's... different. I mean, I want to to say a lot of great things about it, but really it's just that. It's different, and I like that..." Tobi trailed off, dying to give his attention to his food.

The genin was alright with the concept of eating without utensils, even though his mother would scold him terribly for such 'barbarianism', as she liked to call it. However, he still wanted to eat it in manageable pieces, so he drew one of his own kunai and cut the meat up into pieces. Satisfied enough with their size, Tobi unceremoniously wiped the kunai off on his scarf, removed his gloves, and got down to eating.

Curiously enough, this was the first time Tobi had ever removed his gloves in Oushi's presence. He wore them because he liked them, but the gloves also helped to hide the fact that the genin's right hand was missing its smallest finger. Though, it didn't seem to cause any self-consciousness in the boy as he tore into his meal with little else on his mind.

"Oh man, this is so good. Easily the best part of the trip so far," he groaned happily, eying the meat in a near-loving manner. "That seasoning is really off the hook."

As much as the boy wanted to savor every bite he took, the meat disappeared from his plate at alarming rate. Washing it down with water from the canteen he had brought along with him, he set his plate aside and belched.

"Whoops. Eh, s'cuse me."
Characters

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:45 am

Oushi's meat was gone. Fast. He was already leaning back on one elbow and sipping out of his flask by the time Tobi burped. He had apparently ignored everything else the genin had said while he was eating.

"No need to apologize, I consider it high praise."

Oushi whistled, and Patsu trotted over to the fire to lay down behind Oushi. The bannin leaned back comfortably against the goat's side, basking in the glow of the firelight with one hand on his stomach and sighed comfortably. Looking up at the stars, he spoke.

"I love nights out in the open like this. My grandad used to say that the reason he left to live in the mountains wasn't that he didn't love his village or the people, but that he loved the feeling of freedom the open sky gave him more. It wasn't until I was almost thirteen that I found out he'd basically been run out of town by the village elders after a trumped up court marshal hearing."

He shook his head.

"I don't think I'll ever understand why he laid down and took the blame for that accident. If protecting other innocent lives is the right thing, then isn't protecting yourself when you're innocent the right thing too?"
CharactersShow

Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow

Mortalvis

Post by Mortalvis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:07 pm

After slipping on his gloves, Tobi undid his scarf and let it hang loosely over his shoulders. Fed and happy, there wasn't much else to do but talk with Oushi, which he thought would be a treat on its own. Oushi seemed intelligent and experienced, which made for a great conversational partner.

As Oushi began to speak, Tobi listened intently, although his demeanor was very relaxed.

"I take it that your grandfather isn't around anymore... with all the past tense, I mean. Did you ever ask him why he sat back and let them do it? He must have had a reason..." Tobi thought about it, but nothing came to mind. He hadn't known Oushi's grandfather, and he suspected if Oushi didn't know, nobody knew.

There was a certain tone in Oushi's voice when he spoke of his grandfather. Tobi could only assume that Oushi had been close to his grandfather, as he had never heard any talk of the bannin's other family members.

"I wasn't close with my grandfather, but he was the only ninja in my family before me. Everyone else is as ordinary as they come." Tobi paused momentarily to yawn.

"I never used to be able to control the fire I produced, but one day, when my grandma was babysitting me, my grandfather came into the backyard where I was practicing my jutsu. I was only nine, so naturally I wasn't very good, but I was even worse at controlling my katon jutsu."

Tobi took a breather. He stared at the fire; the lenses of his goggles were reflecting the light from the flames.

"Well, anyway... he sat me down, told me that I sucked, and left to make himself a sandwich." Tobi yawned, scratched his head, and smiled a little.

"Oh grandpa, how you will be missed." He chuckled lightly.

"Anyway..." Tobi grabbed his messenger bag and dug through it, pulling out a container of marshmallows.

"Since this is my first time camping, I thought it'd be nice to experience a classic," he explained, taking a few marshmallows for himself before offering them to Oushi.

"Hm... mind telling me a bit about your grandpa...? You mention him enough that I assume you must've known him quite well or something..."
Characters

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm

"I guess when your parents tell you not to burn down the house while they're gone, they mean it." Oushi chuckled, reaching over and taking a couple marshmallows.

"Hm? Yeah, I probably do talk about him too much." the big bannin mused. "But you don't forget people that made you who you are. I love my dad, but if I'd been like him I'd just be another Sekitan miner."

Done with their meals, Habi and Shuu trotted over and flopped down around the fire, and Fubuki landed lazily atop Patsu's prominent shoulders and tucked his head under one wing.

"According to the old man rokudaime, my grandpa was the perfect soldier. He took orders without question, and went above and beyond those orders when missions fell apart. He never had an unsuccessful mission, as far as the village is concerned...they just weren't happy that someone managed to follow them back to the village after one mission and kill his team." He sighed, shaking his head.

"Old fart never told me anything about it. I had to find out from my father, and even then he told me not to ask him about it. Damn village has too many secrets." Oushi looked pensive for a second, then at the marshmallows in his hand. Rather than bother leaning forward to cook one, he popped one in his mouth, and then pulled a length of string from the a pocket on his belt. He used it to tie the kunai he'd used for dinner to the bottom of his boot, stuck another marshmallow on the tip, and stretched his leg closer to the fire with a satisfied grin.

CharactersShow

Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow

Mortalvis

Post by Mortalvis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Oh, Oushi was clever with his marshmallow-roasting technique, but Tobi wasn't in need of such foolishness. The genin took the marshmallow he had in his hands, held it between his index finger and his thumb, and put his hand out over the fire. The feel of the heat against his gloves made him shiver delightedly. The gloves, of course, were flame-retardant, but they still got toasty in direct heat.

"I wouldn't know... beyond what it's like to be a lower-middle class family living in Iwa, I don't know much about it." Despite mentioning it, he looked uninterested in hearing anything more about Iwa. Instead, his eyes came back onto the campfire, and he changed the topic.

"Ever love something so much that it felt ridiculous?" the genin asked rather suddenly. He pulled his hand away from the fire and let the golden brown marshmallow rest upon his palm.

"Nah, you don't have to answer that... but... yeah, this is going to sound weird... fire to me is sort of like what your animals are to you. I've never had any real pets or anything, but fire feels alive enough that it's sort of like that. It doesn't express itself quite the same way as a flesh-and-blood creature might, but it lives and it breathes and it grows just like the rest of us."

There was a thoughtful break in his little rambling; it was likely to shake himself out of the dreamy haze that had started to grip him.

"Heh... I know that sounds dumb, but when you're socially screwed up like me, having a friend that listens and doesn't judge you is sometimes really relieving..." There was a distinct pang of sadness in Tobi's tone and expression.

Without much more to say, the genin shoved the marshmallow he had toasted into his mouth. It didn't taste nearly as satisfying as it would have five minutes ago.
Characters

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Oushi didn't even raise an eyebrow, but he did speak.

"Stop apologizing... You know, there are tribes to the north that believe when their gods first came down to earth, they tried creating man from a bough of wood. But the first men were weak, and died when the first winter came. So the second time, they put a fire in the heart of a stone. And we became strong, passionate, alive."

He pulled his foot away from the fire, plucking the marshmallow off and popping it in his mouth.

"Way I figure it, you're just being human." he held up his hand expectantly. "Hey, toss me another one of those. I haven't done this in years."
CharactersShow

Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow

Mortalvis

Post by Mortalvis » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:27 pm

"I guess," Tobi mumbled, passing the container of marshmallows back to Oushi.

In any other instance, Tobi and Oushi's conversation would have had the genin depressed and anxious, but there was something about the fresh, outdoor air that cleared his head. He could only hope that the rest of their journey would be as soothing as this.

"I'm getting tired." While rubbing his eyes, Tobi yawned. It wasn't especially late, but for a kid who didn't get out much, he had packed in more physical activity in a day than he got in a month.

"Oh, eh, not to beat a dead horse, but I think you should talk to Ishiko when we get back to the village next week. I think there's a lot she needs to talk to you about, and she's got something up that she won't just go and do it."
Characters

Punslinger

Post by Punslinger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:42 am

"Hm." Oushi acknowledged Tobi's concerns with a grunt. He didn't want to say it out loud, but both Tobi and Ishiko were kindred spirits; brooding, pensive souls who over thought things and were prone to gloomy thoughts. It made them a rather cute couple, truthfully, something else the bannin wouldn't dare say.

"Tell you what, it doesn't look like it's gonna rain tonight, you can have the tent to yourself. I'm gonna stay out here and have a talk with the Dog Star. Maybe see about getting ourselves some nicer weather tomorrow."

The bannin took several more marshmallows before tossing the bag back to Tobi and busying himself with the preparation of another toasting. Shuu growled plaintively in his sleep, and Oushi looked up at the night sky, a contented look on his face. It really had been too long since he'd been on a trip like this.
CharactersShow

Missions Accomplished:
Past CharactersShow

Return to “Rock Country”