- - Mission - - The Creature

Checkmate

Post by Checkmate » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:28 pm

Mission Request:Show
It was the crack of dawn. Faint shimmers of light shone over the horizon as the six men stood, weapons and tools of the trade in hand. The group was a motley one. They all seemed to neglect personal hygiene more often than not, and all had small tufts of facial hair slightly obscuring their features. There was a large, bulky man with a large pack by his side standing next to a moderately tall man who was thin, and had no hair atop his head. Another like pair stood together, both of almost identical features, save for clothing. Sitting on the ground was a short fat man, who bore a strange shaped bundle on his back. Standing aside from the rest was a tall, thin man, dressed completely in black leather, and wielding a long, slender bow. A small quiver with about ten arrows was slung on his back, and he seemed to resent the others.

The group was waiting for the guard that their boss had hired for their protection, and then they would set out. Their boss had hired a ninja, skilled in arts completely mysterious to the men, and the hunters were eager to be on their way, all except for the short man. He seemed to hate being where he was.

Oth

Post by Oth » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:43 am

Nix had woken up late. She rushed towards the hunters not being more late than she already was.

Sorry I'm late. My name is Freya Nix, the shinobi you requested. I was told to guard you and help out in anyway. Where would you like me to be? I'm sure you all must be ready to go.

She looked around the group which all seemed eager to go except for a small man who just seemed irritated. The place was still a bit dark and the six men around her were all armed. It felt like it was gonna be a long trip...

Checkmate

Post by Checkmate » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:17 pm

"What?" Exploded the short man, standing up. "She is but a child! How is sho going to protect us against demons?" He became flushed with anger and said, "No. I will not go into those accursed mountains with a child. She would become a liability. What if..."

"Shut up, Gangras. You are coming with us, and you can do nothing about it. You are a coward." Said the large, tall man. It looked like the short man was an annoyance to the group, and one of the men rolled his eyes in disgust.

"Well, if that is all -- and you are coming with us Gangras -- then I see no reason to tarry here. Let us be off. I assume you are ready ma'am." One of the twins said.

Oth

Post by Oth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:01 am

I'm all set. Which way are we going? She said to the lot walking closer to them. She really didn't care about the part about the demons. If there are demons, she'd kill them. That is all.

Nix's plan was to stay in the middle of the group so she could keep an eye on all of them while being ready for anything ahead of them or behind them.

Checkmate

Post by Checkmate » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:00 am

The fat man's eyebrow twitched in anger, but said nothing. The men shouldered their packs and fell in behind the girl, the second twin pointing to the mountain they would be heading toward. The man in black was closest to her. The group eyed each other warily, but followed the girl. The group quickly moved into a single file line with the small man in the back, the ninja in the middle, and the archer in front. This was not the first time they had done this.

When the group was at the base of the mountain, the black clad man attempted to say something, but a deafening roar cut him off. One of the men jumped in surprise and Gangras, the fat one, turned tail and ran. He was the slowest of the group, and so the twins had no trouble catching him and bringing him back. As they dragged him, he screamed several curses at the men, the girl, and at the mountain.

When he had quieted down, the dark clad man spoke again. "I must apologize for my compatriot's actions. As was said before, he is afraid. He will not run once we are in the mountains though. We can't leave him behind, because he is our tracker, and we would be lost without him."

Oth

Post by Oth » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:36 am

Tch, whats with these guys? You guys said something about demons. Do you honestly believe those exist? That was a stupid question and the answer was obvious. They all looked damn sure there was a some sort of monster ahead of them. What was was it really? Nix would best be cautious. She performed a single seal with her right hand and lowered her left hand to her back pulling out her bow that was sealed in her tattoo. Lets hurry it up. There is nothing to be afraid of. Nix put on a straight face and continued on. If there was a monster up there, its time to beat it up.
SpoilerShow
*Chakra Kai (Chakra Release)
E-Rank Ninjutsu
Chakra Kai is a simple jutsu used by Nix to activate his weapons and many other purposes. The user does a quick one handed hand seal and releases a bit of his chakra to activate seals, exploding tags, or whatever other purpose she wishes.

Checkmate

Post by Checkmate » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:39 am

“Believe it?” The shorter man growled. “I’ve seen the beast with my own eyes! Two moons ago I was hunting in the mountains, tracking an enormous beast. No matter how quickly I moved, though, all I could catch a glimpse of was a shadow within a shadow. The prints though, oh, they were massive! The thing could have covered m entire body with on paw! Its tracks seeped to be those of a panther like creature, but were much larger, and had huge gash marks wherever it jumped. I finally caught up with it after four straight nights of hunting it, when I was all out of food and water, and was ready to give up. I found it as it was preying on a heard of deer.” The man paused to take a breath and to wipe his mouth, for it had begun to foam as he rambled on.

“Listen here, you doubt me? You don’t think there are such things as ghosts and demons? You best prepare yourself, missy. You’re in for an awakening harsher than a bucket of iced fish poured on your face in the morning.” When he finished, his face was red with anger and fright, and his knuckles were white around the pommel of his weapon.

The rest of the group remained silent for the next few minutes as they traveled up the base of the mountain. The man’s last comment had been odd, but they all knew he had experienced just that in the past. In fact, it had been the twins that had pranked him with such a horrific wake up call.

Oth

Post by Oth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:11 am

Nix listened to what he said and it sort of made her more excited. Not scared, excited.
She carried her bow in her left hand and continued climbing up with the others in the same formation. If they run it to the beast, she'd fight it but if not, its best to ignore it. Nix wouldn't really mind fighting it and test her own abilities but the short man seemed very angry and frightened by the topic. She was concerned for their safety and it'd be better off if they avoid such.

Checkmate

Post by Checkmate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:13 am

The group continued up the mountain, weapons at the ready, and eyes vigilant for any motion that would signal them to the beast’s presence. They stopped once to eat, for the trip was taking several hours to reach their camp, but besides that they didn’t stop once. It was easy to tell that they wanted to get to their camp, and fast. The problem was that they had to move through the mountain forest without a trail, and moving silently was also a priority. Any bit of noise was scolded harshly with a stern glare from one of the men.

They finally reached their camp, and felt at ease once again. They had fortified the outpost over the years with logs lashed to trees. Each log had sharpened stakes driven into them, and the gate was too small for most things to get it. They kept a fire gong constantly to keep off any predators as well. They even had an enclosure in which they all slept. It was cramped, and smelled of mildew, but the men felt safe within their stronghold. It was after they left that they began to fear.

They were confident of the fact that no animal would dare mess with them while they were within the fortress, so most of them stayed there periodically throughout the day, and never hunted too far away from it in case they had to try and outrun a beast. Yes, these men were paranoid. They admitted the fact too, but their lives were worth the extra work. Their money was worthless unless they were alive to spend it. That is, all but the younger archer. He was only in this business because he was in the process of courting a woman whom he had been in love with since they had met. They loved each other, but her father would not allow them to be wed until he had a house and a solid financial situation. This job was just for the money to buy a house, and then he would get an honest job. This was a means to an end. He refused to die here.

Checkmate

Post by Checkmate » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:14 am

- - Time - -

Return to “Rock Country”