[Graded][Plotboard] Adventure Awaits

Kao

Post by Kao » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:31 pm

Kotaru woke up in a fantastic mood. His mission with Tatsuo six days prior went exceedingly well. Not many knew just how well it went. The genin had decided to keep the acquisition of his two new shiin a secret for now, and only Tatsuo and his direct superior knew about his newfound strength. It wasn't hard to keep it a secret. After all, his parents wouldn't ask how his mission went, and he wouldn't volunteer the information to them. Despite his success, the satisfaction that came along with obtaining the new shiin barely lasted a day. Kotaru, ever greedy, wanted more.

It was mid-morning, and his house was peacefully empty. The genin quickly got dressed and grabbed something or other from the kitchen and headed to one of Iwagakure's many markets. He took his time looking around for the tall, auburn-haired Enkouten, but after searching for about half an hour, he decided he should look elsewhere. "Hmm. If I were a Mitsuo, where would I be?" They'd known each other for a few months now, but the genin realized he knew very little about the chuunin or his habits. It would make finding him slightly more difficult.

Slightly.

He made his way to the Enkouten compound, but instead of heading for the front gate, he leaped on top of the wall separating the compound from the surrounding neighborhood. It was quaint in a rugged, working class sort of way. Clan members were bustling about here and there, everyone with some shade of red or yellow hair. The boy thought it somewhat amusing to see so many people with such a unifying feature. He jumped down and casually walked around, keeping his eye out for Mitsuo. No one payed him any attention even though he was clearly an outsider. A few of them waved happily at him, and Kotaru quickly became comfortable. He quickly got distracted by everything, and eventually found himself following the sound of metallic clanging and into a forge.

He hummed, impressed by the size of the place. It was full of all sorts of metal instruments and tools that Kotaru couldn't name, and in the corner he found exactly the person he was looking for. Enkouten Mitsuo was completely engrossed in whatever noisy activity he was doing, so Kotaru stood behind him and off to the side and leaned on something that didn't look too dangerous. He got comfortable and waited for the chuunin to finish up.
Kao's CharactersShow
Akari KotaruBanninIwagakure no Sato Team 18 Jousai [color=#1fb8a3]
Komiya ShizuoJounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#209DD3]
Yanagida Yukino Special Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#a07ac2]
Ishiwara SetsunaChuunin Iwagakure no Sato[color=#E81D1D]
Enkouten Mai Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#CE5412]
Aisu Namie Chuunin Kirigakure no Sato [color=#5bc2d4]
Awai FusaeA-Rank MNKonohagakure no Sato[color=#D95FEA]
Important NPCsShow
Akari Kanehara Akari clan elder [color=#80A0FF]
Sakata KannaIwagakure Councilwoman [color=#3DA43B]
Hazuki Shuran Jinchuuriki researcher [color=#E854C0]
Enkouten Kaizen Iwagakure councilman, clan leader [color=#C65871]
Rock Country Daimyo [color=#AC4A4A]

Yura

Post by Yura » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:42 am

Clang!....Clang!....Clang!

The sound of metal on metal rang out with each strike as Enkouten, Mitsuo, surrounded by his fellow clansmen, toiled away in one of the many forges located within the clan compound. When he wasn't on a mission, Mitsuo often assisted his family with their blacksmithing duties as a way to retain his skill and reduce their workload. He found it to be rather relaxing. The process of crafting a sword, or a shield, or a piece of armor, even certain jewlry, had become so commonplace for him that he barely had to think about what he was doing while going through the process. He often found himself getting lost in his work, shutting out all outside influences as he worked, intent on making the perfect product. And when he was finally finished, he could be proud of the items that items that he made whether or not they were inherently special.

On this particular day Mitsuo had been helping his father with an order for a few dozen steel dao ordered by the owner of a mercenary company in one of the neighboring countries. "This one's going back into the forge, dad." Mitsuo said to the man standing next to him as he used the clamps to lift the piece of molten metal and placed it gingerly back in the forge, "It's not soft enough to shape correctly yet."

"Well, don't rush 'em." The man said as he came up along side Mitsuo, "We want them done, but we want them done right. I'll be damned if I sell anything less than our best work." He added. Enkouten, Mikio, Mitsuo's father, had forgone an extended career as an Iwagakure shinobi, despite his talent with the clan's bloodline, and had instead decided on a life as a blacksmith for the village. His hair and features similar to his son's, Mikio was a tad shorter than Mitsuo, but he was significantly more muscular. "Why don't you test that one out?" Mikio said, pointing to a sheet of steel that was letting off a yellow-orange glow.

"Yes sir," Mitsuo replied as his father walked away. Taking the clamps, he latched on to the sheet of metal slowly pulling it from the forge and turning towar-

"OH!" Mitsuo exclaimed as he suddenly noticed Kotaru's presence, nearly causng him to drop the clamps. "Damn, Kota, don't you knock?" Mitsuo asked, placing the steel bar gently on his work station, "You really need to work on announcing yourself instead of sneaking up on people." He added as he grabbed his hammer.

"What brings you by anyways?" He asked as he brought the hammer down on the steel bar.
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
SadakoGeninIwagakureTeam 13[color=#90D2D8]
Enkouten, MitsuoBanninIwagakureTeam 18|Jousai[color=#ff2200]
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Nara, ShikariBanninKonohagakureMamorinuku[color=#fb8a00]
Takara, MorikoGeninIwagakure[color=#ffeb66]
Inji, AyakoC-RankWaterfall[color=#8080ff]

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:18 pm

"As if you would have been able to hear me if I knocked." The genin smirked and gestured toward the steel bar now resting on the station. "You need to work on being more aware of your surroundings." Watching Mitsuo work had been interesting, to say the least. Though Kotaru questioned the wisdom of a shinobi becoming so engrossed in something that they were deaf and blind to their surroundings, he found it somewhat interesting that the chuunin had something he was passionate about. The Akari's passions were restricted to gaining strength, which is what prompted him to seek out his friend in the first place.

Kotaru reached into his back pouch, emptied of his weapons and replaced with a small, beat up book. It was missing half of its binding, and Kotaru had to hold it carefully so it wouldn't fall apart. The genin had been in the library nearly every day since his mission with Tatsuo a week prior. He patted the book as he started speaking rather excitedly. "I don't look it, but I read a lot to look for information that might be useful to me. I found this in some restricted section of the library with books confiscated from foreigners. Don't ask me how I got in there." He flipped through the pages, stopping at sections he had bookmarked with scraps of colored paper. "I found this half of a book and it's pretty interesting. Apparently" he continued, "there's a lot of weird shit out there. Spooky and powerful shit that can alter chakra. Who knew."

He opened to a particular page near the end of the book and held it in front of Mitsuo's face. The words were handwritten, small and neat, but written in a dialect that was only partially intelligible. One page was almost completely taken up by what looked like an intricately drawn rock. There were notes in the margins, but they were hastily written and difficult to make out. On the opposite page were more notes, and several words were excitedly circled multiple times.

"See that?" Kotaru said, pointing at the circled words. His lips turned into a slight smile, sly and mischievous. "It says 'gem' something something 'grants' something corroding chakra.' Sounds pretty badass, right?" The genin closed the book and fanned himself with the yellowed pages. "Unfortunately it cuts off and I couldn't find the missing pages. That's where you come in."

He replaced the book into his pouch and gave Mitsuo a grin. "So how bout it? Up for helping me out?"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Yura

Post by Yura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:19 am

Taking a moment to put his hammer down on the table beside him, Mitsuo removed his thick forger's gloves from his hands before reaching out and gingerly taking hold of the worn and weathered book from Kotaru's hands. In the low light of the forging hut, it was difficult to make out some of the passages and hastily scribbled notes that clearly described and called attention to the existence of the very so called "powerful gems" that Kotaru had mentioned. He couldn't tell if the notes had been made by the Akari, but if they had then the rushed handwriting made it clear that his friend was more than just a little excited by the prospect of one of these gems.

"Well, I can't say that I'm really all that surprised." Mitsuo finally remarked as he carefully handed the book back to Kotaru, who then proceeded to put the book back into his pouch. "Given the nature of chakra itself and some of the crazy things that I have seen it do, it really doesn't surprise me at all that chakra-altering objects would exist." He explained, turning slightly to pick his gloves back up from off the table. "What do you want with it anyways?" He asked as he slipped the gloves on, "I know you said that you like to be aware of things that are useful to you, but you seem very excited at even the prospect of getting your hands on this gem." If he was going to consider going off on an adventure to find some gem, he wanted to know why.

"And what were you doing in the restricted section of the library anyways?" He asked as well, once again lifting his hammer from the table and striking at the searing hot piece of steel in front of him. It was rude, he knew, to be making so much noise while in the middle of a conversation with a friend, but he did have work to finish after all.
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor

Kao

Post by Kao » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:01 am

Kotaru hummed as he contemplated how exactly to respond to Mitsuo's questions. He had expected Mitsuo to at least hesitate before agreeing to help, so he had a few scenarios already played out in his head. "Oh, you know. The endless pursuit of power and all that." The genin spoke in between the hammer's strikes, timing his words in bursts so that Mitsuo didn't miss anything. "I can't always rely on genjutsu and taijutsu so I need some kind of backup plan. I don't particularly like training or using anything else, so the obvious solution is to find a shortcut. From what I can tell, this gem has the ability to corrode chakra and can uh...perhaps grant that property to chakra sources. I don't know, it's vague on this page. That's why I need the rest of the book."

Unbeknownst to Mitsuo, the real reason the genin had gone to the library in the first place was to scour for information that would eventually help him defeat Tatsuo. He wanted to get his hands on his cousin's shiin, but he couldn't compete with Tatsuo's brute strength and sturdy armor and he wasn't sure if he ever would. There was also the possibility that Mitsuo would get in his way. After all, the Enkouten was apparently quite close to Tatsuo and might become an obstacle in the long run. Kotaru, ever persistent, intended to find a way around that.

At Mitsuo's second question, he shrugged. "I was curious why we have a restricted section in the first place. Plus, secret information is the best information, and I figured there would be something good in there. Listen, the point is, I need this information, the section is too big and cluttered, and I need an extra set of eyes to find the rest of this book." Kotaru was completely inept when it came to persuasion, so he hoped Mitsuo liked him enough to help him out. If not, "I'll pay you."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Yura

Post by Yura » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 am

Mitsuo pondered Kotaru's request as he placed his hammer down on the table and began examining the slab of metal that lay before him. "So if I'm understanding correctly, you're asking me to go with you to sneak into a section of the library that is considered off limits to people like me and you just so you can get your hands on the other half of a book that you've already stolen from said section." He said without looking over at his friend, instead using the tongs and his gloves to lift the slab of metal to eye level. With all of his hammering, it was finally starting to take the proper shape needed so that he could start grinding away at the edges. "And you're willing to try bribing me for it." He added.

He thought over the proposal, silently listing out the pros and cons to himself. If he were being honest with himself, there weren't many pros to his involvement in this situation. He had no personal desire to look through bookcases full of restricted documents in the hopes of finding more information on some legendary gem that his friend seemed to want. On the other hand, he and Kota could easily be caught in said restricted section of the library, pushed and/or fined for their misdeeds, or worse: Jailed. The only possible benefit that he could see to his own involvement in all of this was the possibility of finding rare and exotic gems hidden among the gem that Kota was looking for. A decent haul of such gems would allow him to make some interesting jewelry items to sell later on.

"Fine, I'll help." He finally said, begrudgingly. "I don't want your money though. One day I'm going to need a favor of my own and when that day comes, I'm calling on you." He said as he carried the rough shaped piece of metal over to a pile of similar looking metal pieces. He would have to finish grinding them all later on. "I'm going to need like a half an hour or so to clean all of this up and change my clothes." He said indicating the mess of his work space. "You're welcome to wait in here or outside." He said as he started picking up various tools. "Just, for your safety and mine, don't touch anything."
A short time later, after cleaning up his work space and taking a few moments to clean himself up, Mitsuo emerged from his home in fresh shinobi attire, perfect for sneaking into restricted areas. Looking around for a few moments, he located Koatru a short distance away.

"Alright, I'm all set." He said as he approached his friend. "By the way, I have this for you." He added as he dug into his pocket and pulled out a little sealed pouch, "I finished it the other day and was going to bring it by but I got a little sidetracked." He said, tossing it to Kotaru. Inside of the pouch the boy would find a necklace in the shape of a raven skull, exactly as he had detailed a few weeks prior.

"So I suppose we should be going."
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor

Kao

Post by Kao » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:06 pm

As Mitsuo listed off the genin's intentions, Kotaru nodded with barely restrained enthusiasm. Yes, he wanted Mitsuo to sneak into a restricted area with him. And yes, he was willing to offer up a bribe. He was willing to do almost whatever it took to ensure Mitsuo went along for the ride. Kotaru could almost hear Mitsuo's thoughts of the possible consequences and rewards, and he decided to stay silent and let the chuunin's thoughts play out uninterrupted. If he said no, the young Akari wasn't above begging. For the most part, at least.

Kotaru beamed when the Enkouten finally agreed to help. "Of course, of course," he responded when the other shinobi insisted Kotaru now owed him a favor. He'd keep that promise, so long as it was in his favor to do so. "I'll wait for you outside."

Once he was away from the din of the forge, the genin snickered and stretched his hands above his head. He walked across the narrow road and sat cross-legged on the ground, facing the entrance of the forge so that the Enkouten couldn't possibly miss him. Mitsuo was an amiable kid, and Kotaru had gotten lucky in befriending him. Had Mitsuo been anything like the Akari, he would have asked more questions, particularly 'What's in it for me?' Of course, not everyone was as self-serving as Kotaru.

Finally, a little more than thirty minutes later, Mitsuo emerged from the forge and presented the hand-made necklace to Kotaru. The boy took it out of the pouch and held it up to admire it. "You're pretty good at this," he complemented as he clasped the jewelry around his neck. He gave it another long look before tucking it into his shirt and then he loudly clapped his hands together. "Follow me."

On the surface, Iwagakure didn't seem to invest much in libraries. Where the other hidden shinobi villages may have a dozen or more, Iwagakure had a very modest five libraries. There were two large libraries that made up the main branch: the Western and Eastern Libraries, which housed the majority of the books in circulation. The main branch contained books available to civilians and the general public, and also had departments only available to members of the military. These areas were extensive and contained everything from past and present military endeavors, information about the shinobi arts, and log after log of information about the provinces and people of Rock Country. Within these departments were restricted areas that required special authorization to acces.

It was one of those areas that Kotaru had entered and found the ragged book. The pair headed to the Western Library, an impressive piece of architecture with thick columns holding up a sharp, cone-shaped roof. Like many of the buildings of Iwagakure, much of the library was underground. When they were a block away from the library, Kotaru turned to Mitsuo and held out his arm to stop him.

"Alright so, the restricted section. Honestly, I got lucky last time because I came at night and the guard - guards - were tired and not alert. But it's daytime now so we'll gave to wing it. Not unless you have any suggestions about infiltration, chuunin-san."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Yura

Post by Yura » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Mitsuo took pride in Kotaru's compliment as the younger boy examined the piece of jewelry. In truth, he knew that he was good. He had been learning and practicing his family's craft for the better part of a decade and he did everything he could to live up to his father's reputation. Still, it was always good to get positive feedback from a customer, especially when that customer was a friend and ally.

Mitsuo followed Kotaru as he led them through the streets of Iwagakure. By the direction that they were heading, Mitsuo figured that his companion was bringing him to the Western Library which made the Enkouten groan internally. As one of the major libraries in the village, the Western Library was significantly better staffed and supervised than any of the smaller branches. Sneaking into its restricted section was going to take a bit more work which had Mitsuo wondering just how the Kotaru had managed it before. A question that was soon answered.

"You really know how to pick a challenge, don't you." Mitsuo said with a bit of a laugh, finding some humor in this bizarre situation, "If you had better luck at night, we probably should have tried to replicate the circumstances that worked for you before and come by later, but I suppose we might as well see what we can do now." He said as he worked through the thoughts cycling through his head, "The best thing we could do now is figure out what we're up against. Maybe do a little recon inside to see how many attendants and guards there are and go from there."

"Maybe we can cause some sort of harmless distraction and slip in during the commotion." He suggested as he started moving towards the library again.
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:16 am

Kotaru hummed and thought about their options. It had been relatively easy to sneak past the pair of sleepy staff under the cover of dim lights. But he had been alone, and the librarian-guards inattentive. It was going to be a bit more difficult with the two of them in the middle of the day. "Harmless distraction. Right."

The two shinobi approached the library's stairs and made the short descent inside. Like many buildings in the village, the majority of the library was underground. The deeper one went, the more restrictive the areas became. The pair first had to get into the section reserved for military personnel three levels below the ground level. It would be simple enough; they merely had to show their headbands or some other sort of official documentation and they would be allowed inside. Once they were in, they'd have to go through the labyrinth that was the underground floor and find the restricted area.

Walking slightly ahead, Kotaru headed inside. The first floor of the library was in the shape of a circle with a grand, spiraling staircase in the middle that lead to the lower floors. There were adults and children scattered about the first and second floors, clearly civilians. The second and third levels, also open to civilians, were similar to the ground floor: open concept, well lit, and buzzing with patrons. The grand staircase ended on the third level, leaving members of the military to seek out another staircase to continue towards the lower levels. This staircase was much less elegant and was inconspicuously tucked behind a large circulation desk. The genin flashed his headband, and a distracted guard waved him through.

So far so good.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Yura

Post by Yura » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:38 am

Mitsuo followed his friend through the entrance of the library and down the staircase into its main area. "It's a bit different than I remember," Mitsuo mumbled as he and Kotaru descended the stairs. Admittedly, the library wasn't a place that Mitsuo visited often and he honestly couldn't even remember the last time that he had been here, though he could have sworn that it used to be a bit more cluttered, poorly lit, and not so lively. He remembered always wanting to leave the moment that he walked in, the atmosphere feeling none too inviting and sometimes just downright depressing. Either he remembered wrong or the village had gone to great lengths to renovate one of its largest libraries to attract more visitors.

As they reached the bottom of the central staircase on the third sub level, he and Kotaru weaved through small crowds of people while making their way to a side staircase that led to the levels restricted to military personnel only. These levels were filled with documents pertaining to jutsu styles, mission logs, territorial information, and any other information that a shinobi might need to complete their objectives. They were quite extensive, really, though the most restricted of information was typically only accessible by those of Jounin rank or higher, the staircase to those levels guarded much like the ones leading to the military section were now. Those were the levels that they were going to have to find a way into.

Showing his headband to the guard at the top of the staircase, the guard gave him an unenthusiastic wave, allowing him to pass. "Now the real fun begins." Mitsuo whispered quietly to Kotaru as they descended the steps. "We'll have to find a way to get by the guards a few floors down and then hope that there aren't any Jounin visiting the restricted archives today."
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:10 am

"Eh, when was the last time you were here?" Kotaru asked during their descent. "They renovated the top floors over the summer. Took 'em forever, but it looks a lot nicer than before."

The fourth floor was a different world. While the upper levels were bright and open in a way that simulated sunlight, the lower levels were considerably less well-lit and more cramped. There was no open floor plan, but instead the levels were tight, narrow corridors that connected open chambers filled with books and desks. It reminded Kotaru of an underground ant colony. As the two made their way through the fourth level, Kotaru became more and more worried about their plan, or lack thereof. The fourth level was relatively empty of people, and so far they had run across with only two or three shinobi quietly perusing the shelves. So far he didn't see any staff, but they were definitely around.

"What if we used a transformation jutsu? Would that work?" It was a stretch, and probably ill-advised. As soon as he thought of the idea, he wondered if there were any counter-measures against such jutsu. He wouldn't be surprised. The genin turned a corner and there it was: a set of dark double doors with the words Level 3 Clearance painted above the frame. On either side of the doors were small wooden desks in the shape of a semi-circle, and an official looking man sat at the desk to the left with his back towards them. Kotaru stopped at a nearby shelf and gestured for Mitsuo to do the same.

"Alright, there it is," he mumbled as he pretended to be very interested in a thin book about ores. "There's only one at the door. There might be another nearby but....We can look around a bit to make sure, and them I'm gonna gen' him. Not unless you have any better ideas."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Yura

Post by Yura » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:29 am

"We'd have to know who to transform into." Mitsuo replied as he considered the genin's suggestion, "Since only Jounin and above can enter that room, out selection of available options would be small, and then we'd have to replicate their appearance from memory and hope no one catches on." He explained further before coming to a stop beside Kotaru. Peering around the corner, Mitsuo took note of the position of the guard at the door, currently turned away from them. It seemed unlikely that there would only be a single guard, though he didn't expect there to be more than a single other one. He began looking around, looking at the rest of the bookcases, some tall, some short, examining the rest of the room. As it was restricted to shinobi and military personnel, this section of the library had significantly fewer people in it, Mitsuo only counting six other individuals (including the guard at the door) occupying the room.

"I don't think using a genjutsu on the guard would be the smart play." Mitsuo said as he pointed discretely towards the back corner of the room. There walking among the aisles of books was yet another guard, seemingly picking up a small pile of books off the floor, his face clearly annoyed by having to pick up after other discourteous patrons. "If you use genjutsu to get passed the guard at the door, the other guard might notice and there's no way you are going to be able to get them both. We need something that will get both of their attentions while giving us an opening." He said. He just wasn't sure what that would be. Stealth and discretion weren't exactly Mitsuo's strengths. He was much better at building or demolishing and as such, most of his jutsu were designed to do exactly that and he couldn't imagine either option being particularly useful in this situation. Unless......

"I think I might have an idea." Mitsuo announced in a hushed tone, "I'll be right back. Make your way close to the door and be ready to move." He said to Kotaru before quickly moving towards the corner of the room opposite the other guard. Weaving through the various shelves, Mitsuo quietly avoided making contact with any of the other patrons before finally coming to an area of tall bookshelves carrying what seemed to be large, heavy books. Examining a bookcase itself, Mitsuo found what he had hoped: It was made of metal, not wood. When the village had renovated the rest of the library like Kotaru said, they must not have touched any of the restricted areas, leaving the old and aged equipment in tact. Which would (hopefully) mean that if said equipment were to suddenly fail, it wouldn't be as suspicious.

Here goes nothing, Mitsuo thought to himself has he formed a set of handseals and his hand began to glow with kouton chakra. Looking for the best spot to hit, Mitsuo reach out and grasped a lower support peg on one of the large bookcases, causing large cracks to form in the metal peg before it finally shattered into pieces, the sound ringing out throughout that corner of the section. Almost immediately the entire bookcase began to sag, leaning forward as if it were ready to topple over. While it had only been a small metal peg, a mere 6 inches, it had been an important support piece to the bookcase frame. Mitsuo quickly moved from the aisle so as to be far away from the shelf when it eventually collapsed. Once again weaving his way through the various aisles, he had only made it half of the distance that he had hoped to make when the thunderous sound of the crashing bookcase rang out throughout the entire floor. And then there was another. And another. And suddenly Mitsuo realized that he had done a lot more than he intended. Poking his head out of one of the aisles, discretely as possible, he found that his little stunt had indeed caused the bookcase to topple over, but its fall had essentially caused a domino effect with the other bookcases, causing two or three additional bookcases to fall over with it. Turning his head towards the guard at the desk, he could see that the man was now standing, his face in shock while the other guard was beginning to move towards the toppled shelves.

Retreating back into the aisle he was in, Mitsuo once again began moving through the various aisles, keeping close to the wall and out of sight of any other individuals, especially the guards, until he was able to track down Kotaru near the door to the restricted area. "I think that worked a little too well." Mitsuo said quietly as he came up beside the genin, "We should probably move quickly."
Jutsu UsedShow
*Kouton • Sword Breaker
C-Ranked Ninjutsu
After performing the required hand seals, the user will channel chakra into their hand. For the next 3 posts, the first metal object the user touches will shatter into several tiny pieces, so long as it is not larger than half the user's size.
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:02 am

When his genjutsu plan was shot down, Kotaru scowled and bit the inside of his cheek. He wanted to point out that he had been able to get into the restricted section once before, but if he wanted this to work he needed to be a team player. Though their "mission" was Kotaru's idea, Mitsuo had both seniority and more experience. He racked his brain for more ideas but came up empty.

"I'll be right back. Make your way close to the door and be ready to move." The genin barely had time to react to the command before Mitsuo disappeared behind the maze of shelves. He only hesitated for the span of a heartbeat before he turned on his heel and slowly sauntered towards the doors. Kotaru kept his nose buried in the book as he moved seemingly absentmindedly, but he kept his ears open and occasionally his eyes flickered above the pages to keep a lookout. The bookkeeper was so engrossed in what he was doing - paperwork, it seemed - that he didn't notice the young Akari inching towards him at all.

Suddenly, an ear splitting crash shook the room and every head turned to watch shelf after shelf tumble into one another, the books spilling to the ground in a violent cascade of pages. "What the hell!?" the bookkeeper yelped as he leaped over the desk toward the mess, waving his arms as he tried and failed to prevent more books and shelves from falling over. "No no no! Jin, Hideki, HELP!" Two other staff members joined him in a panic, and it took every bit of Kotaru's self control to not double over in laughter.

Mitsuo suddenly appeared at the genin's side, guilty practically written all over his face. He shot his friend a grin and whispered "Let's go!" and then he closed the short distance to the doors, took hold of the handle, and pulled. For a stomach-dropping moment, the doors wouldn't budge. But with a more forceful pull the door came open with a metallic scrape that was thankfully drowned out by the still-tumbling shelves. The door closed behind them just as the cacophony ceased.

Kotaru let out a forceful sigh of relief but kept moving. There was no time to stop to congratulate themselves. The boys needed to quickly find what they were looking for before anyone found them. The doors led to a wide hallway lit by dim golden lights. Every dozen feet or so was a doorway that led to rooms, each filled to the ceiling with books. The Akari held a finger to his lips and padded towards the third room on the left. It was roughly the size of a large classroom. Roughly a dozen bookshelves lined the walls with even more lined up in two rows in the back of the room. The shelves not only contained books and scrolls, but also random objects like cardboard and wooden boxes. There were four desks near the front of the room, each one piled with books, papers, and scrolls.

"This is where I found the book," he murmured as he pulled the tattered book from his back pouch. He handed it to Mitsuo so that the chuunin would have a reference for what he was looking for; Kotaru had poured over the frayed pages so much that he was sure he would recognize the missing half when he saw it. "Just look for loose pages with a slight golden tint to them, and the back binding is blue and gold with weird writing. Hopefully it won't be that hard to find."

The boy pulled a ladder towards him and climbed it - he would start from the top down. "And keep your ears open. Those guys outside will be busy for a while. But if any jounin finds us here, we'll be in a world of trouble."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Yura

Post by Yura » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:55 pm

Mitsuo openly stared at the mass of materials that littered the shelves all around the room. As he was only a chuunin, Mitsuo had obviously never entered this room before, but he hadn't expected it to be so...cluttered. Scrolls were stacked on books which were stacked on larger books which were all shoved in a corner to collect dust. In another section, boxes, rather than books, lined the shelves with no discernible ordering to them, though it was possible that there was sort of order that he simply wasn't privy to.

"You expect to find a few scraps of paper in all of this?" Mitsuo said aloud as he continued looking around the room with an eyebrow raised, eventually taking the tattered book from Kotaru. Looking down at it, he realized that the front cover looked like so many of the other books on the shelves whose pages were also likely tinted and colored in a similar way. It was going to be like finding a specific piece of hay in an entire haystack. "I guess I'll start over there." Mitsuo muttered as he walked towards the bookshelves in the back corner of the room.

Before he began looking through the piles of books, Mitsuo took a moment to simply look over the objects on the shelves, wondering if anything of particular interest sat upon them. After some light browsing through the aisles, Mitsuo gave a bit of a sigh and began sifting through the different books and scrolls. While he had hoped that he was wrong before in regards to the organization system in this room, Mitsuo became increasingly more and more confident that besides being grouped by general topics, there was no organization to where objects were places on these shelves. The current shelf that he was digging through seemed to be filled folders filled with maps, each folder designated with a multi-digit number and each map each drawn on with various arrows in various colors. At first he had wondered what was so restricted about the maps before realizing that the numbers on the outside of he folders were mission identification numbers; these maps were tactical plans devised for missions. As each one had been dated as well, Mitsuo realized that these maps were from missions from over a decade ago, some even older, which would explain why they were no longer housed in the kage's offices. To make room for newer files, these must have been moved to the library for safe keeping.

Having been captivated by the maps for a significant portion of time, Mitsuo realized that as interesting as they were, they were not a part of his objective at the moment. He would just have to come back and look at them once he had reached Jounin. Putting the maps back where he had found them, Mitsuo began skimming through scrolls and books a few bookshelves over. As he had noticed before, objects on the shelves were seemingly grouped by general topic at best. Using that Mitsuo began looking for topics related to "mystical objects", "rare gems", "enchanted weapons" and similar topics while keeping his eyes out for the tattered pages of the rest of the book.

"This is going to take forever..." he muttered to himself as he began sifting through a pile of loose pages and documents that sat on a shelf where the rest of the books seemed to relate to 'legendary artifacts'.

"Did you check the area where you found the first half of the book?" Mitsuo called over to Kotaru, trying to keep his voice low while still conveying his question.
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:53 pm

The boys searched in silence. Kotaru quickly skimmed through shelf after shelf, pausing only to turn his attention to the door. Every once in a while he thought he maybe heard someone beyond the door, but each time was a false alarm. The longer they searched, the more worried he became that someone would catch them. Despite his worrying, he managed to stay calm and peruse the shelves thoroughly. The Akari had picked through three entire shelves when Mitsuo spoke up.

"I found it over there under some scrolls," he responded, gesturing vaguely towards a bookshelf to his left. "I looked all through it when I first found the book, but it's not there. Logically it has to be in this room somewhere." Belatedly realizing he had given a vague description of where the book was, Kotaru hopped down from the ladder and approached his partner. "You're actually sort of close to where I found it. It was either on the bookshelf you're searching now or the one right next to it."

'I think,' he added silently. Truthfully, he only had a rough idea of which shelf it was. But he had searched the shelf thoroughly the night he found it; he was sure it was somewhere else. He sighed dejectedly and took a slow look around the room. They didn't have much time. Their search had only lasted ten minutes so far, but it felt like an hour to the genin. It was only a matter of time before someone walked past the doorway and spotted them. When his gaze reached the desks, he paused. He walked to the nearest one and poked at the contents strewn about its surface. Many of the books and scrolls were in bad shape, and there were odd items laying around them: scissors, spools of thread, glue. For a moment, he was confused about what he was looking at. Then suddenly, "Oh. Oh! Search the desks!"

The Akari excitedly picked through the items covering the desk. He tossed a few things to the floor, not caring about the mess he was making - or the noise. "Bookbinding!" he spat out as he opened one of the drawers. "They were fixing some of these! Restoring them!" He turned towards Mitsuo, baffled that the chuunin wasn't as excited as he was. "Help me!!"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Yura

Post by Yura » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Mitsuo tilted his head in awe as he watched the Akari genin bounce from desk to desk, searching through the piles that laid upon them. He didn't think he had ever seen Kotaru like this before in such a state of sheer...excitement? Knowing that he was getting close to finding his prize seemed to make it hard for the boy to hold his excitement in. It was a state that Mitsuo never though that he would see the genin in as the boy had always been so serious and to the point. It made Mitsuo wonder what he was going to be like when he actually found it.

"Okay..." Mitsuo said slowly in response to the genin's excited plea. He had been about to go back to checking though the bookshelves near where Kotaru had found the first half of the book, but if some of the scholars really were fixing up some of the old books it would make sense to see if the second half had ended up in someone's pile. With a tad less enthusiasm, Mitsuo approached one of the desks along the side of the room and began carefully sifting through it's contents. It was easy, really, as most of the items on the desk had been books with worn or faded covers, or torn scrolls and maps, or loose pages from books that were far too large to fit in the book that Kotaru had shown him. Mitsuo really only stopped to examine smaller books that were missing a large chunk of pages and the front cover. Yet every time he ended up discarding the book because it didn't seem to match what they were looking for.

Mitsuo had sifted through the items on two of the desks already when he had come to the last desk in the row. Like the others, there were piles of old and worn books and scrolls that littered the desk, though this one seemed to be a bit more orderly. Scrolls had been separated into one pile, loose documents another, and torn and worn books in a final pile which made Mitsuo's task even easier. Grabbing the pile of books, Mitsuo quickly skimmed through them, being careful not to disrupt the order so as not to mess up the desk owner's organization. He had made his way through two thirds of the pile when he saw it: The back half of a book with yellowed pages and blue and gold binding. Lifting the half a book from the pile, Mitsuo pulled out the half that Kotaru had handed him earlier and held them up to each other. He quickly skimmed the paragraphs on the newly discovered half which seemed to line up with the passages in the first half and the page numbers lined up as well.

"I think I've got it!" Mitsuo announced, holding up the back half of the book so that Kotaru could see.
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:46 pm

Five words was all it took for Kotaru to nearly squeal in delight. He whirled around and leaped on Mitsuo, clinging to his back and reaching for both halves of the tattered book. "I can't believe it I can't believe it you found it I knew it was a good idea to ask you!" In his excitement he somehow managed to keep his voice barely above a whisper. But just barely. He bounced back onto the floor and nearly slipped on loose papers littering the floor. Kotaru flipped through a few of the pages and then carefully put the book into his back pouch, and just as quickly as it came, his enthusiastic cheer faded. His expression went back to his normal cool and collected visage. Though he had calmed down considerably in the span of a few seconds, his eyes still sparkled.

"Thanks, Mitsuo. I wouldn't have found this without you. Now let's get out of here before we get caught and possibly arrested for trespassing." Kotaru stepped over the mess and slowly walked to the door. He took a moment to listen for any approaching footsteps or movement nearby. When his ears were met by silence, he turned to Mitsuo and said, "I vote we just walk out."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Yura

Post by Yura » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:38 pm

If Mitsuo had thought the extreme excitement coming from Kotaru had been odd, he was totally unprepared for genin's reaction when he had actually found the book. To say that he hadn't expected Kotaru to jump on him in extreme delight would be an understatement, the impact of the younger shinobi nearly causing Mitsuo to topple over onto the floor. He honestly didn't know how to respond and found himself letting out a small laugh out of sheer surprise. Yet almost as soon as the genin's excitement appeared, it was gone. There's the Kotaru I know, Mitsuo thought to himself.

"You're, uh, welcome." Mitsuo replied, glad to see that he had helped make his friend happy, even if he hadn't expressed it long, "Just glad I could help. But I think trespassing will be the least of our worries if we get caught with to halves to one very restricted book." Mitsuo added as the pair moved towards the door. He didn't particularly like Kotaru's escape idea, but he didn't have a better option this time. They were quite literally in a concrete room with only a single exit and that exit happened to be guarded on the other side. Hopefully, however, their earlier distraction had kept the guards busy while they had searched. They hadn't been in there long, definitely not long enough for the mess to have been cleaned up, so it was possible that no one would see them beyond the door.

"Fine," Mitsuo finally said with a sigh. "We'll walk out. Not like we have much choice." Moving up to the door, Mitsuo put his ear to the door. While he couldn't hear much, the room seemed busier than one would expect from a restricted library section, suggesting that they were still cleaning up the bookshelves. Slowly and gently he began to push the door open, just far enough for him to see through a the crack. "I don't see anyone in front of the door." Mitsuo whispered, "Let's go for it."
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor

Kao

Post by Kao » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 pm

The staff members' attention was fully focused on the huge mess Mitsuo had created. The three of them each grabbed a shelf and were attempting to set them upright again, so there was no one to notice the two young shinobi sneaking out of the restricted section. Kotaru went first, slipping through the door, and he kept his head down as Mitsuo followed a step behind them.

"Damn, what a mess," Kotaru mumbled as he navigated around the fallen books scattered haphazardly on the floor. He was rather impressed with the destruction his friend had caused. They left the library with no problem, and when they stood at the top of the library's stairs the Akari took both halves of the book from his pouch. Beaming, he said, "Give me some time to look through this book and I'll let you know what I find." He turned on his heel and waved before adding, "Thanks for your help, Mitsuo!"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow