[Graded][Plotboard] Rock and Roll

Sanjuro

[Graded][Plotboard] Rock and Roll

Post by Sanjuro » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:56 pm

The journey from Fur Country had been long and tedious, especially at this time of the year. The snow was thick, meaning carts had difficulty getting through the pass to Rock Country, which in turn meant they had been forced to travel on foot. But at least they had finally made it to the great steppes. Letting out a great heaving sigh, Gendo took the pot from his back and carefully place it on the ground, collapsing next to it and retrieving his gourd of wine. Lifting the vessel to his lips he almost cried when all that came out where a few sparse drops.

"Pack for this trip accordingly, I did not. Oh, what a foolish monk I have been," he bemoaned. Turning to his travelling companions, Fuhen and his student Sato, Gendo held out the gourd with a depressed air about him. "Have you any wine, kind sirs? The nearest town that may have some is Chuuishi and that is days away. Curse this temple and it's place in the mountains. Curse it, I say."

Gendo had travelled Rock Country once before, attempting to make the same pilgrimage he was making now, but it had ended before it had ever truly begun. He had been chased out of a small village before he ever reached the mountain range when he has lost control of the Omen that befell upon him and several people grew incredibly ill. Deciding not to risk continuing he had fled the country altogether, seeking solitude to try and control the butterflies that brought death and despair.

This was years ago so with any luck they had long forgotten him. Preferably they would avoid that village altogether, there had to be another way to gain safe passage up the mountain, surely.
Name Village Rank Color Code
Hirohito, Hideki Kirigakure Bannin #0047AB
Higurashi, Kazuo Iwagakure Special Jounin #FFC40C
Akechi, Gendo Cold Country C-Rank pink
Courtesy of SiaShow

Zao

[Plotboard] Rock and Roll

Post by Zao » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:56 am

The young swordsman in training had been swept away on a new journey, this time he finally got to meet the round monk whom he came to find out was one of his sensei’s most trusted traveling companion. A monk by the name of Gendo, yet Sato had never met a monk quite like him but it could be said that the thin framed young man had only met one other sets of monks and that had been a training stop during Fuhen and his travels to fur country. Those monks appeared so reserved and detached from anything of the normal world but it was almost like Gendo was the opposite at some times. But perhaps their were simply different kinds of monks just like there were different kinds of people depending on where you went.

Accordingly, Gendo-sama?” Sato shifted his grey eyes towards the pudgy man who spoke about not having packed accordingly for this trip. In his mind this must have meant that he didn’t bring enough food or warm enough layers of clothing as this portion of Rock country that the trio had been traveling in was already blanketed in a thick layer of snow for as far as the eye could see. But when the monk turned to them with his wine gourd asking if either of them had any wine the fragile looking Dragon country native who was bundled in three overlapping layers struggled a bit to lift his arms to either side. Speaking in an apologetic manner to his senior and his sensei’s friend. “I’m sorry Gendo-sama, but I’m not old enough to indulge in wine.

Sato did take note that along the way, Gendo did appear to at least know the route to travel as if he’d been here before and wandering if the Monk was from Rock country. Honestly, it was way to cold for the young man here and the frigid temperature made his unique body a bit stiff and hard to move at times. Hopefully they could find a warmer place to travel to next time, but what the young swordsman was also very interested in what the fighting style of monk, wanting to see if their were any fighting techniques that he could learn from him as well. To fight alongside his teacher, Gendo must be at least as strong as Fuhen was.
CharactersShow
Active
Tsukino Hisato - Kiri Chuunin - Seven Swordsman Dagger

Saisuko Zao - Suna Bannin - Spirit Weapon Saint

Kyōhō Ken - The White Snake Sage - S Rank Assassin/Bounty Hunter

Aburame Hisato S-rank Mn / Inactive

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

Arashiyama Ning - Kumo Chuunin - Weilder of the Ghost Spear

Yami Kasai - Mizukage - The Black Reaper - DEAD

Genso - Elemental Crafting Shaman - A Rank Monk - Inactive

Aburame Akiro - Konoha Jounin - ANBU Member - Inactive

Hyōryū -- Suna S-Rank / Dead / Used as Inheritance.

Xi - Iwa Jounin / Inactive

Sato - A Rank, "The Cleaving Swordsman " / Inactive

Akujin - Konoha Genin, Art Ninjutsu Guy / Inactive

Toukai Touma - Kiri Genin / Inactive

Arashiyama, Toushi - Kumo Bannin / Dead

Hitachiai - Iwa Jounin / Inactive

Ji Ning - Iwa Genin / Inactive

Naegi, Chin - A-rank MN / Inactive

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:20 am

Oh, how the Frog hated the cold. Fur country had certainly been of a low temperature, but there were so many people moving around, and they had cleared the grounds of snow so effectively, along with the trees breaking the wind, it didn't feel nearly so bad. But here, out in the open, Fuhen was wearing much more than his normal attire, what would appear to be over six layers of jackets, and several blankets piled on top of that, and yet still he shivered. This was as bad as when he had gone to blizzard country to train more sword techniques, but at least there it was so cold that you stopped feeling everything after awhile.

As a result, he had been uncharacteristically quiet for the most recent portion of their trip, and when he did speak it came out as a muffle grumble as he spoke through a scarf that covered most of his head. Fuhen of course did not carry alcohol on him, preferring to save it as a treat for himself whenever he stopped for the night, a hard days travel deserved a hard nights party, and a harder nights rest. He began to see the sanity in Gendo, though, as some warm sake or wine sounded heavenly at the moment to fill his core with warmth.

"Yer on yer own, ye lush." He grumbled under his scarf. "When ye said 'north', had I thought ye meant this far north, I woulda left ye in Dragon Country!" This was empty, of course, for even had the man gone into greater detail about their journey, he would find it hard to pass up such an opportunity to see the world, and save it at the same time. "Do ye even know where we're goin'? I'm used t'bein' dragged about in the worst o' it, but the new apprentice here doesn't have extra layers built in like you, or the experience like me."
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Upon hearing that no one else carried wine with them Gendo looked back at his gourd and sighed longingly, praying to the East that it would magically be refilled. "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen~" the large man warbled, his singing voice surprisingly baritone, "nobody knows my sorrow…" Tucking the gourd away and standing up, he looked back at Fuhen and simply shrugged at the man's complaints. "This is only the beginning, my friend. It will get much worse as we get into the mountain range."

Brushing some of the snow that had gathered on him in the short time he had been seated, Gendo turned this way and that, looking across the horizon, searching for landmarks. "I believe I have a rough idea of which direction we should head in. It has been a great many years since I last travelled this path. We should head to Chuuishi regardless. Supplies are going to be needed if we wish to make it up the mountain in one piece, and a guide would not go amiss." From what he remembered the Hokkyou mountains could be dangerous even with a guide. Without one it was almost certain to be filled with perils.

Gaining his bearings, Gendo smiled and pointed one large stubby finger in the direction he thought Chuuishi would be. "If we go this way, I believe we should find a road that serves to connect Chuuishi with a smaller village. Whence found, one must simply follow the road east." Picking up the large clay pot and strapping it to his back once more, Gendo started the long hike. "The journey will be long and hard, my friends, filled with danger at every time and even my brother monks may prove to be… less the welcoming. Pray to the East for prosperity on our path, but to the North as well. For I fear we will see blood shed before we are done in Rock Country, loathe as I am to admit it."
Courtesy of SiaShow

Zao

Post by Zao » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Is he singing?’ The spiky haired young man couldn’t help but put on a helpless look on his face as he wrapped a scarf back around his lower face and neck to help beat back the cold air and snow that fluttered around the trio during the stop. Sato glanced over towards his master at his words of extra layers build in which caused for his grey eyes to shifted back and forth for a moment before the pair older men now. A light, muffled laugh managed to escape his wind chapped lips, but it wasn’t a laugh at the fat joke towards Gendo but instead from his current perspective the Frog man with so many layers appeared to rather fluffy himself.

As the to men discussed the direction the Dragon country native looked in the direction which the monk had pointed his stubby towards, making the mention that he had a rough idea of which direction they should be headed in and that it would only get much worse as they moved into the mountain range. “Much worse?” The young one couldn’t help but mutter aloud as the current conditions were truly terrible to speak lightly but Sato never had been one for the cold to begin with. Using his hands that were tucked inside the blanket style wrap which concealed his body to tighten the warming layer around him now he shivered slightly causing some loose snowflakes and ice to fall from the material.

He could only take this as a test on not only his physical strength but also his mental toughness as the cold was definitely something that could cause distractions to one, causing them to go internal and miss important aspects of the surrounding environment. This being his first time truly exposed to this level of fierce cold it was something he was very much so struggling with as he moved from side to side in order to keep his body from getting too stiff from not moving. “I hope that you are right, Gendo-sama.” At the mention of the journey being a long and hard one filled with danger it caused for a small lump to form in the boy’s throat.

Truth be told the boy had been in a couple dangerous situations, but for a man like Gendo who was on the same level of skill and experience as his master to say such a thing it could only cause some doubts about himself to form within Sato’s mind at the moment. Hopefully he wouldn’t hold them back or force them into a disadvantageous position due to his own skill set. Looking towards the east now, his eyes were squinting slightly due to the flurry of snowfall and cold wind but he briefly closed them to say a little prayer towards the east for what may lay ahead of them. He’d never taken the life of another person but it was something he had attempted to prepare himself for due to the life that he wished to ascend to being a swordsman. But if it could be avoided then he would definitely prefer that route to travel...
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Fuhen continued to grumble underneath his scarf, but it was more inaudible this time, though more keen eared members of the audience could probably make something out along the lines of "Fat burns really well to start a fire." At the mention of it getting worse, the Frog clearly made it known he wasn't happy with a loud groan. He trudged onwards regardless, trying to put it past him, trying to remember that this was for a good cause, that the world needed saving, and that if he didn't help, Gendo was likely to either accidentally destroy the world with the strange bugs on his back, or just as likely fail in his quest.

While he wouldn't admit it out loud in current circumstances, Gendo was also one of the few people he got along with so well because Gendo didn't expect anything from him. There was no judgement in his eyes about Fuhen's webbed appendages, no spite in his voice at the utterance of his last name of Iyashii, the name of a commoner, and perhaps most importantly, Gendo could tell a story almost as well as the Frog himself; In a much more understandable manner, at that.

The would-be Shogun didn't know much about the religion of his friend, but respected the fact that gods did probably exist. Organized religion hadn't really come to River Country, though, as many of its inhabitants were illiterate, and the ones who weren't lived in the capital city, where money reigned king; Just as well, while monks or priests often traveled through, and were welcome, there were not many who practiced their religion by forcing it on others. As such, Fuhen hadn't really been exposed to the idea of silent prayer...

"Oh god o' the East!" He started, shouting loudly, his voice echoing off of the cliff faces and the icy snow that had formed on them. "Bring us prosperity, won't ye? Maybe try to keep ol' Gendo by 'ere sober so's that he doesn't walk us to our deaths, and he understands where us poor folk are coming from in our complaints of the cold!" But he didn't stop there, turning ninety degrees to face another direction. "Oh Northy boy! A peaceful journey we must have, for I fear the strength of our mighty monk and my young apprentice are too much! They would shatter the world before we reached our destination!"
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Gendo smiled broadly when Fuhen started loudly proclaiming his prayers, his joy making his eyes seemingly disappear behind chubby cheeks. Stepping behind the man, he said nothing to interrupt the man but bumped his arms up, so they were fully outstretched as he prayed to the East. When he turned North and asked for a peaceful journey, he would tap the man behind one knee, indicating he should kneel.

"Excellent, my friend, truly wonderful!" Gendo proclaimed, subtly making the same motions as he had had Fuhen perform, making his own silent prayers to the East and Father Sky in the North. More ornate forms of prayer were performed at more specific times of day, it was a habit he had attempted to keep up with even during his many years of excommunication. "The warmth of the rising sun in the East shall warm you and the wind of the North shall guide us true now."

As they started trekking north, hoping to find a road, Gendo would grow tired of pushing through the layers of snow. Loathe as he was to call on them, he did have the perfect solution to his problem resting across his shoulders. Setting the pot down, he slid the lid off and before it had even fully broken the seal the grey swarm of butterflies were surging forth, pushing against each other in their attempts to fly free of their confines. Closing his eyes, Gendo sighed, and then waved his hand towards the path ahead of them. Like a grey tidal wave, the insects descended on the snow. Buffeting wings and the sheer density of their swarm pushed the snow aside in droves, leaving a clear path.

"Harm no living creature. Spread your wings while you can, you shan't be free of your cage long. This is your one warning." Gendo's normally jovial voice was a little darker, heavier with emotion, and he made sure that his orders carried to each and every Omen. They were bound to him and him to them, but they were beings of death and destruction; there was no guarantee he could always control them. Better to let them out now where there was less threat to life. Turning towards Fuhen and Sato, he smiled sheepishly and motioned for the path. "This way. They shan't harm you as long as I am here."
Courtesy of SiaShow

Zao

Post by Zao » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Though the young Dragon country native had not been traveling for a truly extended period of time with his new master, Fuhen, but even in the short time that they truly had been it had almost become normal for the swordsman in training to see the man’s larger than life personality and strange speaking dialect. Sato bit his lip lightly behind the cover of the scarlet scarf that was wrapped around his neck and the majority of his face, pushing back the urge to chuckle at the older man’s antics. One could say that a day with the frog man was truly never a boring day. As the fluffy monk spoke of the rising sun in the East given them warmth his only thought was that he could really use some of that right about now.

After the shortstop and the prayers being sent to the East and North the group was back on track, at least as much as they could be as they continued to push through layers of snow, this was truly a hellish place for the young man who kept his head down and followed behind the long haired frog man. ‘What is he doing with that pot?’ Both of the man’s slate grey eyes snapped open as wide as humanly possible and he actually took a half step back, not really sure what to think about what he was seeing. Where those grey butterflies? How could they survive in the cold?

Instantly the young man was swamped with questions in his mind as he watched them emerge in size that he couldn’t really understand how so many of them were able to fit into that little pot, was it some sort of fancy ninja trick? Finally as the swarm was clearing the path before them the swordsman stepped up to the right side of his master being one step behind and to the right of him now, tugging on his arm and whispering to him. “Sensei, what is that?” Perhaps Fuhen could fill in his questions a little bit or at least shed some light onto those strange butterflies.

Sato’s gaze came back on Gendo at this point as he spoke as though giving warning to child, did that mean that the butterflies were truly under the man’s command and could understand him? How unusual but at the same time how interesting. “Thank you, Gendo-sama.” Though his hands were bundled up in gloves he still gave a slight bow with a martial salute towards the monk, glad to hear that the strange butterflies wouldn’t harm him.
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:42 pm

The Frogs prayer had been one in good humors, but seeing Gendo give his priestly blessing with a simple degree of earnestness made him smile gently, respectfully. There was power in words, his father had once told him, powers to change hearts and minds, to give people strength and courage, or to tear them down to their most basic selves. Even if there was nothing more to religion, the power of the words was enough to do good things for people, and maybe that's all that mattered in the grand scheme of things.

While he mused this to himself, he seemed to tense up at the sound of perhaps the worlds most deadly predator being roused from its slumber. He turned to look at Gendo, who was now chastising the worlds most deadly predator like they were naughty children and giving them instructions. There was something comical about it, but Fuhen couldn't force himself to laugh, instead only lost in the immense beauty and power pouring from the gourd on the fat man's back. He almost didn't answer his young student, but something overtook him.

"That is... Beauty and Love, dear Sato..." He started, taking a deep breath as they buffeted the path before them, clearing a path that would serve to make their journey much quicker. "They are death incarnate, an' a horrible burden for a man such as Gendo t'bear. They are a nightmare that will keep children awake at night, and make bad men hesitate before they do their dirty deeds..." He was waxing poetic, he realized, but there was really no other way to put it. "But luckily, Gendo is a terrible burden for them to bear as well, else we might all be doomed."

He let out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding in, before walking forwards in the now cleared path. "They are... Part of why we're out here, aye, Gendo?" He didn't look at the fat Monk, but he pushed his voice out so that he would be heard. "A bad omen of thing t'come, the end o' the world, in fact! But we cannae let that happen, an' so this is why I have chosen to bear this burden with the dear Monky."
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:50 pm

His small, beady eyes were watching the butterflies movements with earnest. For as much as he didn't trust them for simply being what they were, the Omens had defended his life more times than he could count in recent years. They protected him and while he knew that they represented death and his own failure as a monk, a part of him felt the need to protect them in return. It was why he let them out on occasion, rather than just sealing their prison tight and throwing it into the ocean. Reaching out a study finger, one of the small grey butterflies landed on it, careful that its wings didn't touch his skin. He watched as it slowly flapped, once, twice, before it took off to join the rest of its brethren once more.

As he heard Fuhen shout out, Gendo nodded. "My journey began with this Omen and one day it shall end with them. I pray we live to see it through to its final completion." As he stared at the dark grey, roiling swarm of death that were currently trying their best to please him and clear a path to ease his burden, he smiled sadly. He had never told this particular story, so as they walked, Gendo began to speak.

"A long time ago, in the country of Miracles, it is said that a great calamity took place. A great sickness swept the land that not even the famous cures of the Panacea forest could save them from. That sickness was carried on wings of grey, like looming storm clouds. To see this grey cloud was to see an omen of death." As he spoke more and more of the swarm began to gather around him, almost like children. "A great warrior of my order, the monks of Vrashni, was passing through the country on a pilgrimage. The followers of Vrashni do not believe in violence for the sake of violence. As we train our spirits, we train our bodies." Gendo patted his large belly and chuckled, a deep resonating laugh. "Though perhaps I have fallen out of practice, hm?" Shaking his head, he continued with the story. "It is said that this monk held the knowledge of the great spirits of yore. Though perhaps back in those days that knowledge wasn't so old as to be a forgotten art to those outside of the Hidden Villages of today. He did battle with the omen, praying to the North for guidance on his path, but it was the West that answered. Divine inspiration drove him to create a large clay pot. Nothing fancy or ornate, it was simple, practical, and functional. And as he completed this pot the West reached through him and touched it, carving into it the symbols of protection and peace and the eternal cycle of life and death. When the grey cloud of death had near consumed the land, he came with his pot, and declared that no more would this foul Omen of Death be allowed to persist. He hit his pot with his staff, and rather than shattering as a clay pot should, it echoed out across the world with a great crash of thunder. When the sound faded, and the people looked up from clearing their ears, the great omen of death was gone. So too, however, was the monk. While the West had given him the means to stop unnecessary death, the price in turn was his own life."

By this point the entire swarm was flapping around him rather than clearing a path and Gendo once more reached out and allowed them to land atop his finger. "The temple I was raised in grew from that sacrifice or so the legends go. As I found out later in my travels, this was not the only such story. A terrible beast prowled the mountains of the northern reaches of the land, fanning the flames of war in the people and driving them to slaughter one another. A monstrous creature of putrid decay once sought to consume everything, living or dead, animate or inanimate, and add it to itself rose in the south. There is one of the east as well but alas I have yet to find hide nor hair of that particular tale."

Finally, he gestured and the swarm took off once more, the story was over and their attention had waned. Gendo wondered if perhaps they had no true consciousness, simply instincts. To kill and to protect. Turning around entirely, having never once looked back to his companions in his storytelling, he smiled. It was melancholy, a look rarely seen on the joyful man's face. "One thing is common of all the stories though. They sought to bring an end to humanity. Whether it was simply in their nature or they made the conscious decision to do so matters little. And I fear that one day, my mistake may very well bring about said calamity. That is why we travel north. I hope to ensure the seals that bind these creatures of old remain intact. If they do not, I intend to bring my own Omen to battle with the others and subdue them with this burden I have been given. Perhaps it was unkind of me to not warn you beforehand, young Sato. I apologize. If you wish, I shall leave for the mountain pass on my own when we reach the city."
Courtesy of SiaShow

Zao

Post by Zao » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Still in a bit of a daze as he watched the grey swarm go about the job assigned to them by their chubby companion he could only pry his eyes away when the Frogman spoke about them being not only death in carnet but also a horrible burden for the monk. The true persona of his master managed to come out though as he spoke as though the monk was also a terrible burden on them as well. “Part of why we’re here?” Up until this moment he had never been given the exact reason as to why they were coming to such a remote part of the world and traveling such a hard path. “An omen of things to come?” The man’s grey eyes narrowed as he turned back to look at the numerous butterflies as they continued to perform the task given to them. ‘An omen…poor Gendo-sama.’

Despite the dangers that must come with such an omen, his master chose to stand with his friend and to help him share this terrible burden that Gendo was carrying around, literally carrying around in a clay pot. It was crazy to think such a monstrous sounding creature like these butterflies had been with them the whole time. “Them?” As the fat monk started to speak about his journey, he used the word ‘them’ which meant that the omen with them right now was not the only one. Just how many more of these dangerous entities were their out there? Once more they were walking, the cleared path was much easier to travel upon and the well fed looking monk started to tell first the story about the omen that was watched over by him now. Explaining the story of its appearance and how a monk had managed to contain them with help from the gods of the West and a special clay pot, perhaps the same one he’d witnessed Gendo holding.

Even with the darkness of the story the older monk managed to cause the teenager to crack a smile as he spoke bout training their bodies as a monk, before the larger man patted his large belly which caused for Sato to shake his head lightly at the monk’s antics. With the powerful strength it became obvious how dangerous and deadly the swarm could be and he didn’t even know about the other aspect of the swarm. Then he began to go more into the stories of the other omens, seeming to number three in total as they reflected each of the cardinal directions. A terrible beast of fire, a creature of putrid decay, though it would seem that little was known about the omen of the East. Four terrible creations of evil…just the thought was enough to cause a shiver of not cold from their current surroundings but from a moment of fear.

His arms came up and crossed one another on his chest, both glove covered hands falling on either bicep as they slowly rubbed up and down in order to help warm his thin body up as he continued to listen to the chubby monk. “And end to humanity…” They spiky haired teen’s eyes would shift back and forth from the swarm, to Fuhen, and to Gendo as they walked and the monk continued to tell the tale…they were traveling north to ensure that the seals binding these creatures of death and destruction were intact. The Dragon country native would have never imagined that less than six months after meeting the two men and leaving his homeland to study swordsmanship under the samurai Fuhen, that he would find himself upon a journey which literally sounded like it was up to them to save the world!

“Gendo-sama…you are a friend of my master. If he is willing to share this burden with you and it is only such that I must offer to help do the same. Though I am only a young swordsman, allow me to come along, please” Speaking in return to the man, everything more or less laid bare before the young man he had a choice to make as he looked first to his master and then back to the chubby monk before he brought his hands up in a martial salute style movement as he began to speak. The journey which had been just the two of them now added another as Sato would travel with them as far as the two older men would let him go.
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:45 pm

"The world seems to be in constant danger..." Fuhen mumbled after Gendo finished his story. He lamented internally, even as Sato mulled over his position in the trio. For a moment he regretted taking on an apprentice in such dire times, but then, if he didn't show him the dangers of the world, prepare and groom him for success as a samurai now, it was possible he wouldn't be ready when it became most dire. And what if something happened to Fuhen? Gendo would need someone to help him carry out his mission, and if not Gendo, then whatever world ending event came next. "If not from omens of the end times, then just from itself..."

Fuhen continued to walk on, happy that the word 'trudge' didn't have to be written thanks to the thoughtful butterflies. "I dinnae suppose we 'ave to save it, but I also dinnae think me younger self would pass up the chance t'be in me very own samurai drama." A smile passed his lips as he tried to bring some more light-hearted humor to the otherwise dour conversation. "An' with all the strange happenin's we're seein' all the time, ye can't rule out that young me might pass through time just to come kick my ass, eh?" He chuckled at his own strange joke.

Further still they traveled along their path, and Fuhen couldn't help but think how lucky they were to have use of this death omen of Gendo's. How many people would make a similar trudge through thick snow without the benefit of any way to clear it? "Kin ye imagine, Gendo... Someone like you clearin' trade paths, or paths to villages with medics... Or anywhere! Haha! I woudnae have t'be away from home for so long if all roads could be clear like this all the time." The thought was pleasant. Travel was one of the hardest parts of your average person's life, and while Fuhen's ability to clear huge patches of land in single bounds meant that there were little problems, but when he was younger and first travelling, and of course any time he needed to bring a cart with him, or anyone who didn't have the same gifts, it wasn't so simple. "Think about it! Our children could be the first generation to grow up and be able to travel wherever they please... The world could be better. I like that idea."
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Gendo clapped a meaty hand on Sato's shoulder and smiled broadly at the young, earnest samurai. "Each man is destined to walk his own path how he chooses. Who am I to deny you yours, hm? I would be more than happy to have your company as we walk." Turning to Fuhen, who was lamenting the state of the world, and simply shrugged in response. "There is only one inevitability in this world, my friend. That is everything ends, in some way or another. People, plants, even stone crumbles to time. The world was ending long before the Omens ever appeared, and it will continue to end whether we stop their rise or not."

Turning around to face the path his omen had cleared, he reached back and tapped the pot strapped to his back. The swarm was drawn by the sound, diving into it like a great grey stream of water. When they had all returned, he slid the lid back into place. "It may not be our duty to save it, but we can always try to stall the inevitable for a time. For all the pain and heartache in the world, there is much beauty to be held. I would like the chance to see it all and give that chance to my children and their children." Grinning at Fuhen, the monk chortled at the idea of a younger frogman appearing before them. "Woe to the man or woman who would stand in the path of a young Master Iyashii."

He listened as Fuhen waxed poetic about the world and how it could be changed for the better, looking out of the corner of his eye towards Sato to see his reaction, but primarily focused on the road ahead. He had cleared a path, yes, but the snow would fall eventually and cover it once more. Nothing was forever. Still, he smiled and nodded at the appropriate moments and turned his eyes towards the horizon. "It is a wonderful dream, my friend. One I will help you in any way I can to achieve. It would be a truly wonderful thing, crossing the world, experiencing its beauty for oneself." Ahead he could see the road he had been looking for, a carriage passing by, and he smiled as a tension left his shoulders. They were going the right way.
Courtesy of SiaShow

Zao

Post by Zao » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm

“Thank you.” The young man replied feeling the heavy hand fall upon his shoulder, the broad smile of the teenager’s monk companion helped to bring a smile to his face. He’d never truly felt that he belonged back with his family within Dragon country, no calling to the title of chef. Perhaps this had been his truly calling in life, to travel amongst these two great men and to perhaps even help save the world in the process. But what this told the man was that even though he truly had only known his master Fuhen and the heavy set monk Gendo for a short period of time, but they were good men and more than that they were his friends. People that he could rely upon and hopefully they would be able to rely upon him in the future.

He shifted his grey eyes over to his master now, as he did what he did beside aside from sword fighting, that was bring humor and lightning the mood with his unique sense of humor that even brought out a chuckle from the bundled up swordsman in training. The brief cackle passing through the scarlet scarf that he was wearing wrapped tightly around his neck and lower face. “A young you, master?” It was a rather funny notion and Sato wondering if the man was exactly the same then as he was now. Just that thought brought out another laugh from the frail looking young man as he began to once more walk along with his two companions.

Hearing Gendo speak about the beauty to be held in the world the young man was once more reminded about how little he actually knew about the world, having not traveled outside his home country before meeting these two men. But since then his knowledge of the outside world was steadily growing as he’d met a number of different people, even shinobi, along this path and now it looked like he’d even be able to see other dangerous and interesting places. “I hope that one day I will be able to make this world a better place.” Though he had not thoughts of children at this time in his life, being so young still, he couldn’t help but agree with his master’s notion.

‘Is that a road?’ As they traveled Sato would also look out towards the path that lay before as the snow fall continued to float down upon them and the newly cleared route. In the distance what appeared to be something moving caught his attention, it was a carriage passing by and the young man became a bit excited at the image. A road must be ahead which meant that they weren’t lost. ‘Thank goodness.’ He truly didn’t like this cold weather as he shivered a bit continuing to follow along listening to his master and Gendo speak back and forth.
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:10 pm

There was something almost nihilistic about the words the fat man spoke of. Surely he was right, but as people passed, they left behind their children. As plants died, they fertilized the soil for further plants. As Mountains crumbled, they left behind valleys. As valleys collapsed, they left behind plains. Was it really an end, then? Or was it a cycle that was inevitably repeating time and time again? Perhaps it wasn't for him to know, or to ever find out. Fuhen was a warrior, and while warriors had their place in philosophy, there was more out in the world than he could ever hope to understand while also attempting to perfect himself.

"Let's nae let the world then early, eh? Our generation's got this issue to worry about, so lets leave a clear path for Sato and his great, great grandchildren!" The Frog proclaimed this loudly and proudly, chuckling and gently nudging his shoulder against his apprentice in a teasing manner. All the same, there was something somber about the words, it was a sort of pact, the kind usually made by men several beers too deep into the night, and forgotten the next morning. It was perhaps that Fuhen took the promise more seriously than his compatriots, who may well have just thought it ramblings of a tired and half frozen amphibian.

A sign they were on the right path, an actual road, signs of carts. Was this another omen? Or perhaps men being rewarded for positive thoughts? Or, Fuhen thought, just this once it could be happenstance. The destiny of man couldn't possibly be that well laid out, could it? Nonetheless, Fuhen seemed to pick up a bit of a hop in his step, clearly excited to be closer to their destination. "Awright!" He exclaimed loudly, loud enough for his voice to echo clearly several times. He felt fired up, heat igniting from his core as their path became more clear, and the butterflies receded into their home. "No matter what, our world 'aint endin' today! Hike up yer legs Monky, I wanna be in front of a fire afore the sun goes down!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:39 pm

It would seem that Gendo had found people that wanted to save the world and make it a better place in their own small ways. The thought brought a warmth to his chest that slowly expanded to fill his fingers and toes. While he himself was only on this quest out of a sense of duty and guilt, it was heartening to see that there were still people in the world that were genuine heroes. When Fuhen and Sato noticed the road and started heading towards it at a faster pace, he watched them go for a minute before Fuhen started to shout back at him. Shaking his head, Gendo started jogging. "Is running truly necessary!? Honestly, we'll make it whether we run or walk! You know how much I despite running!"

Still, the group jogged to the road and Gendo looked up and down, before checking the sun. "Well, I think it is past noon so… west is that way." He pointed in the direction of the sun, and then turned around to look in the opposite direction. "Which means we want to go this way. Chuuishi is still a few days away but if I recall there are some smaller villages along the way. Let us pray the daimyo is in Chuuishi at the moment. Whenever they are in a city, festivals and traders flock to the area, bringing great songs and parades and oh the sweetest wines."

As they walked Gendo kept an eye out for any travelling caravans or farm wagons that where heading in the direction they were going. If he could hitch a ride to the next village then it would truly be a sign that their journey was blessed. "How I would love to get off my feet. I miss Dragon Country, their masseurs were excellent."
Courtesy of SiaShow

Zao

Post by Zao » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:02 pm

His master’s words were worthy of inspiration, saying that it was the generation of Gendo and himself that had this issue to worry. While it might be an issue for them Sato still felt that it was also his problem as the student shouldered the burdens of the master just as the master would often have to shoulder the burdens of the student. The words and the nudging of his master caused for the thin young man to dip his head slightly in a bashful nature, working up what words would be used for his response to Fuhen. “Though it may be the problem of your generation, master. I wish to make the problems of my master my own, as well.

Through his scarlet scarf, the lightly spoken words would just barely pass through the wool material of the sash that covered his face from the nose down, probably not even heard in the noise created from their movement but said nonetheless as he wished to prove himself useful not only as a student but as a man and swordsman. A look of determination was forming in the slate grey eyes as he looked at the backs of his master and Gendo having let himself fall a few steps behind them now as he thought about what lay ahead for them all in the further. His eyes lifted from the footprints of the two men now as his master began picked up his pace a bit as the road became more clearly visible to the group.

A fire sounds nice.” Just at that moment he heard their companion speaking about whether or not running a was really necessary at this point, this caused Sato to let out a light hearted laugh and then quicken his own pace in order to allow for him to catch up and move along side the hefty monk. Soon with some quick directions from their friend the group seemed to be on track towards the east towards a place known to him only as Chuusihi. Hopefully they would find a place before then as he overhead the monk mentioned that they were still a few days away from.

Oh? Another festival would be fun!” Having just left the festivities of Fur country, the young man couldn’t wait to enjoy some more fun and perhaps meet some more swordsman or shinobi along the way to help with his training and just to meet other people in general. At the mention of his home country the thin man turned to the monk with a confused look on his face as he knew that the pair had been there, since it was within the corner of the country that he met them both, but not even he had been to a masseurs before. “A masseurs?” Gendo sure did do a lot of things that Sato would have thought monks wouldn’t do, but he had never met another monk so he was all he knew, perhaps it was just normal for them to do such things.
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:17 pm

As the trio reached the road, Fuhen never thought he'd have preferred the solid ground of stone to something soft. While it would be incorrect to say there was no snow on the ground, it was clear that this was a well travelled path, as the thick piles of the stuff on all sides was compacted down, making for solid footing that didn't sink you in nearly a foot with every step. "Ye could stand the exercise Gendo, we'll get ye in fighting shape just yet!"

The walk still seemed so far off, but the Frog could taste their destination on the tip of his tongue, which was really just a certain kind of desperation that came with long travels. He was lucky he had good traveling companions, Gendo who knew more stories and as many songs as the Frog himself, and Sato, who while young, was great fun to bounce jokes off (And rocks, when his rubbery skin wasn't nearly frozen stiff) and in general kept at least a neutral mood. "O' God O' the North!" Fuhen called out loudly once more at the mentions of festivals, wines, and massages, entirely unsure if he was praying for the proper god. "Thanks be fer Gendo, who would protect us from such sins as gluttony, opulence, and lust, by taking it on himself before we could get a chance."

He held a big smile on his face, his arms outstretched, and while the joke might have played better if he maintained a straight face, he simply couldn't help himself. "To new beginnings!" He continued, one of his arms dipping into his many layers of jackets and blankets, pulling out... A flask of wine, before taking a few swigs of the bittersweet beverage. Alcohol didn't freeze as easily, so of course he brought some of that instead of water. Gods be damned if he was sharing with Gendo, though. Pulling the flask from his mouth, and wiping his lips, he outstretched the arm holding the flask to Sato. "Saviors o' the world get t' drink too! It'll keep ye a bit warmer."
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Sanjuro

Post by Sanjuro » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:54 pm

"That would be the East or South, master Iyashii." Gendo replied haughtily, lifting his nose to point straight up in the air. "And I shall have you know that there is nothing sinful to be had in enjoying oneself as long as it harms no other." He looked down at the duo over his nose and smiled, giving them a cheeky wink. "At least that's what I tell them when I pray."

As he went to turn away and start down the road, he caught Fuhen reaching into his layers out of the corner of his eye and frowned in curiosity. "Hmm? What've you there, my frien-" And then he saw it. The bottle. The wine bottle. The thing he had asked for earlier. The one thing keeping him going in this quest. His panacea. His elixir of life. And Fuhen had lied to him.

"Fuhen…"

Looking at the man would see his head down low, staring at the ground, his shoulders tense and rolled forward. His feet slowly slid apart, taking a lower stance, and when he looked up, there seemed to be a steady flow of steam coming from his nose and open mouth, his normally barely open eyes now wide and… glowing red?

"Run."
Courtesy of SiaShow

Return to “Rock Country”