[Mission] The Mist

Das Kirb
User flair: .001%

[Mission] The Mist

Post by Das Kirb » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:30 am

A man sat across a desk with his hand on a file. This particular mission file had a nice black stamp on it though it was faded to the point of illedgible. It seemed someone had tried to take this mission before, on several occasions. Each time ended as the last, in miserable failure. There was obviously something about this mission that was more than meets the eye cause aside from that, the jounin handling the file was deep in contemplation.

Looking up at Naoko he finally passes over the mission file, with a word of warning. "This mission has claimed the lives of several chuunin and a couple jounin already. Each time the severed head is sent back, filled with needle holes. There has only been one person to come back alive, but the poor sap's mind was half gone. He kept blathering about "mother" or some such." He would wait for her to open the file before continuing.

Inside the file was a blurry picture of what appeared to be a human woman. Very very few details could be made out. The land around the person was obviously going to be a problem though. The island must be isolated, and dense with woods. A few scrawled notes told the body count for this mission was already in the twenties. Sadly, there was little other information aside from "this must be solved".

"I'm sorry we have to send you in nearly blind but information from the place is hard to get. Sensor's can't see past the shore and the woods are too thick to see from the coastline. Only thing we can do is send you in. Consider your mission complete if you can discover what's going on and come back sane enough to tell the tale."

MedeaMoirae

[Mission] The Mist

Post by MedeaMoirae » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 am

Naoko looked over the contents of the file, listening carefully. "So all information needs to be gathered on foot then... and so far no true survivors?" She smirked slightly. "Sounds like fun." she said sarcastically.

She looked at the man evenly as she thought through what little information she had already. "Is there something in place to get me there? Or am I to find my own way?"

'I may have to wear something different, maybe try to look like a missing nin or a samurai from another country just traveling... If I look clearly like a ninja it'd be the worst thing I could do.'

"I will need to change before going... perhaps if I look like a wanderer instead of a village ninja it would help. Or at least not look so well off."
CharactersShow
Masami Ren16ChuninKirigakure No SatoAiri , KazukiThe Blood Ritual
Shoshiki Hikari16GeninIwagakure No SatoN/ASplintered Glass
Hyuuga Ami19JouninKonohagakure No SatoN/AN/A
Kouseki Hitomi20JouninSunagakure No SatoN/AN/A
Satomi Mio18D Rank SamuraiFrost CountryN/AN/A

Das Kirb

[Mission] The Mist

Post by Das Kirb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:19 pm

The man passed her another slip of paper, this one was a ticket on board a merchant ship as a passing traveler. The ship could be found to the far east of the primary dockyards. He also passed her a key. "The ride itself should only take you a few hours. It might not be a bad idea to use that time to get your stuff together and get a little rest. That key is to a locker. It'll hold a spare set of clothing and some camping gear. Chances are you'll be there a while. Here's a small advance on your pay too. You're going to need some basic survival equipment." He passed her an envalope that seemed a little heavy to be just an advance. Inside was a rather substantial amount of money. It seemed the shinobi was expected to need every last bit of that too.
You have 20 points worth of thread only purchasing power for additional equipment such as kunai and tools. These tools will be removed at the end of the thread and considered lost. Use it wisely.

MedeaMoirae

[Mission] The Mist

Post by MedeaMoirae » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Naoko nodded, feeling the weight of the envelope and thinking through a few things in her mind. She'd need to see exactly what she had before determining what she was going to get before she left. She nodded and bowed respectfully to the man. "I'll contact you immediately upon my return." she told him kindly, before turning to leave.

She made her way to the aforementioned locker and opened it with the key she'd been given, digging through what was there, item by item, to make a mental inventory.

Depending on what she saw, she'd decide what more she might need.
CharactersShow

Das Kirb

[Mission] The Mist

Post by Das Kirb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 am

The items Naoko would find were numerous and tended to be standard survival gear. There was nothing out of the ordinary in this pile but a few things would be needed to supplement it. It was clear this setup was for someone expected to make an extended stay in a hostile environment as well. There was something else in the stack that seemed to be out of place as well. An old transmitter with a letter under it. The transmitter itself was in rough shape, and the channel was locked to a specific frequency. Inside the letter was what appeared to be a central fragment of a headband, broken from the rest of the metal. The note read as followed.

[table=1]"Naoko, this was the headband of someone very important to me. I heard of your mission to head to that forsaken place. Please, find him and bring him home. I don't care if he's dead. His family deserves a proper funeral and closure. All I know is this communicator can contact him, but it's broken beyond repair. Occasionally I hear strange static coming through it and I swear I can hear him crying for help. Please, I beg of you. Bring my husband home."[/table]

The paper was stained with several water spots, tears doubtlessly. The choice was Naoko's to hunt for this man too and bring him home. However, she had to worry about her own skin first. With the mental list of items in the gear she could make her way to the market now or ask around the crew. Maybe some of the people on board knew something more.
ListShow
  • 15' square canvas.
  • 6 driving stakes. 6" long each.
  • 3 days sufficient single person rations.
  • 1 napsack with several pockets.
  • 1 winter grade blanket and sleeping bag.
  • 1 50' spool fishing line.
  • 5 standard sized hooks.
  • 3 cans of cooking fuel.
  • 1 hooded bullseye lantern with enough fuel for 5 hours extended use and 2 refills.
  • 1 raincoat, sized to fit with several pockets.
  • 1 set of warm clothing. (Chose style as desired)
  • 2 vials anti venom for natural venoms up to B rank.
  • 1 "hobo tool".
  • 1 steel mirror.
  • 1 recording device with enough audio space for 10 hours recording.
  • 1 journal and pen.
  • 30' strong but thin cord. 150lbs pull strength.
This is all already packed and easily transported. You will need survival skills and know EXACTLY what you're doing in some instances. A hint for what else to get, prepare for an extended stay if needed. Also, all limitations such as exploding tag quantity are removed for purposes of this thread. Any questions, feel free to ask.

MedeaMoirae

[Mission] The Mist

Post by MedeaMoirae » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:13 am

Naoko put away everything carefully after taking an inventory of what she had, including the piece of a headband and the note. She couldn't help but feel for this woman who had written her anonymously, wanting to help her and find this man, but her primary mission had to be her primary concern.

She made her way towards the ship, looking for the crew and seeing if there was anyone she could question about the area. She looked for the first crew member she could find that didn't appear overly busy as she didn't want to interrupt any of them at their work. "Excuse me, what can you tell me about our destination?"
CharactersShow

Das Kirb

[Mission] The Mist

Post by Das Kirb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:17 pm

The pack was easily compacted and made into a simple to carry container for the equipment. Oddly there were no seals on the pack itself, it was packed as per normal. Yet, it's light and comfertable when packed and easily able to travel. It was strange.

The crewman that Naoko would find had a barrel of a chest. His ample muscle tone shone through every rippling curve like a living Adonis. His hair was long and flowing, though grimy from what would seem to be weeks of going unwashed. His arms and legs were completely coated in a thin layer of worker's sweat as well. The tattered vest he wore was stained and torn in several places and shoes were no where on his feet. The pants he wore were almost more hole than clothing. It looked as if he could step wrong and give the world a full view of both his back and front nethers. However, the deep brown eyes were joyful and almost childish as he smiled back at Naoko, until seeing just who he was speaking too.

It was almost instant, the joyful look in his eyes changed into one of deep contemplation and almost foreboding. He was silent for about five seconds before finally speaking, holding a somber tone with a voice that fit the physical godling that stood there.

"You must be the passenger we're taking to that place. Our destination is slightly off from there but yours. . ."

He fell silent once more as if looking for the right words. Naoko's outward appearance told she was no stranger to danger, and it seemed as if that appraisal of her loosened his lips as he spoke again, almost scared to speak.

"I don't know what it's called but I call it Blood Mist Island. The few that have ventured in there have never come out and some of my best friends were among them. We once picked up a drifter on the sea that claimed to be coming from that island. He wouldn't stop babbling about the cold. Said the mist made it too dark to see even at high noon, and that the cold cut clear to the bones as if knives. . ."

He seemed to get lost deep in thought for a brief moment before finally raising his eyes to the woman and speaking frankly.

"I'm afraid that's about all I know. The captain might know more but he's in his quarters. He doesn't like to be disturbed but maybe you can cause exception."

From behind her a man shouted something unrecognizable. It wasn't unfriendly, just commanding. The man in front nodded and made a quick apology before rushing off below deck to handle some other work.

MedeaMoirae

[Mission] The Mist

Post by MedeaMoirae » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 am

Naoko took note of the information and pulled her cloak closer around her as she went in search of the Captain. Her attire seemed to be cause for pause among many and she hoped pulling her cloak around her would suffice for now, she'd have a better chance to change shortly.

When she arrived at the Captain's quarters she gave two sharp knocks on his door. "Captain? Shizuka Naoko, Jounin, I was hoping I could have a few minutes of your time." she said politely.
CharactersShow

Das Kirb

[Mission] The Mist

Post by Das Kirb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:20 pm

From inside the quarters erupted uproarious laughter. Inside Naoko would be able to hear the voices of a single man and no less than three distinctive woman. Each one was laughing or giggling in some way. "I think you've had enough captain. We're setting out soon." The response was unexpected as a pair of heavy booted feet slammed against the floor. "Aye lass ye be right. The men be wondering where I am an we be needin to hoist the sails." Yet another voice chimmed in witha girlish sing song pattern. "You may need to take care of that shinobi first master."

With a wide swing the door opened to reveal a man that was no taller than Naoko herself but definitely much hairier. His great red beard hung down to just past his chest with hair just as long in a pony tail behind him. He was dirty but much cleaner than the previous man and dressed in a long open front red coat with a pair of scraggly blue jeans to go with it. His brown eyes were no less than jovial at the sight of the konoichi as he reached out as if to hug her in welcome. A pugnet odor of booze wafted off of him as well as what could not be mistaken as anything else than the smell of sex. Behind him three nude women lounged across what seemed to be a very well made couch, each one beautiful in her own right. "Welcome aboard lass! What can I do fer ye?"

MedeaMoirae

[Mission] The Mist

Post by MedeaMoirae » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 am

Naoko kept her cloak about her but allowed herself to be hugged. The man seemed drunk, jovial.... and obviously quite satisfied. She had to refrain from visually reacting to what she saw, and silently hoping no man ever expected such a thing from her. The entire thing seemed a bit perverse to her. How could he possibly have the energy for three women anyway? Though she could guess that's why so much alcohol.

She tried to keep her tone serious, but cheerful as well despite the fact she had a feeling everything in this room was about to become very serious in nature as she asked her question. "I apologize for the interruption, Captain. I was hoping for a moment of your time to inquire about our destination. Anything you can tell me about it and what you know of those who have gone there before would be of help to me. As well as information on any who have come back."

She was starting to get a very dark and foreboding feeling about this place in general, and she didn't like it.
CharactersShow

Das Kirb

[Mission] The Mist

Post by Das Kirb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 am

The captain was a little more than disturbed by the question. He was actually shaking a little, though from the booze or anger or even fear it was completely impossible to tell. Witha visible effort he retained his cool and simply stood aside, inviting the shinobi into his cabin. All three women vacated, collecting their things and moving to a back room to get dressed as if on que.

Once inside he shut the door and took a swig of what looked to be a thick orange drink. It smelled very strongly of citrus and questionably lacked any hint of alcohol. Once done he could only slump into a chair and offer her a place in another, avoiding the couch for obvious reasons.

"Yeah, I know the place you're asking about and wish I didn't. I've lost some of my best men to that blasted island."

He seemed to toss his head back as if in deep contemplation, or nursing a headache. His movements seemed much too sober now to be anything less than just trying to keep himself collected.

"We collected a stow away from there and he hasn't left the ship since. Poor bastard doesn't seem to even know how to talk outside a few things anymore."

He covered is face in his hands before rubbing downwards as if surrendering himself to some truth and returned to Naoko with a face of resignation but also of duty. He pulled a pair of glasses from beneath his desk and filled them with what appeared to be the same orange juice in his personal jug. A cup was slid across the table towards Naoko before he resigned to telling his story.

"I've been there once meself and was damned lucky to make it away alive. The mist there is cutting, it'll freeze yer soul if you let it. However, the things in the mist are much worse. Nothing there be natural, but nothing there be known either. It's like Davy Jone's himself used it as a prison for all the monsters of the sea and left them there to change into something much worse."

He took a deep drink from his glass as the three women came from the back room, all fully clothed in pants and shirts. All of them looked legitimately able workers too. In fact, a particularly well endowed blonde spoke up first.

"That place is nothing short of cursed and should be avoided. The only reason we're making this trip is the money is good."

"Aye, she be right. But I think it has much worse than curses that surround that island. When I was there I saw cliff faces that sheered seemingly endlessly. The mist made it impossible to see the top."

The second woman was dark in skin and had long black dreadlocks. She looked to be a mystic of some sort, indeed speaking as if some voodoo priestest. Her tattered cloths had obviously seen better days but trinkets and charms lined every inch of her and even decorated the ends of her hair.

"Dah monstas dat be dere are notin but death's messengers. If you go d'ere you will not come back."

The last finally spoke up. However, she wielded a weapon at her hip that seemed almost impossibly designed. It was as if a small handled club with a hollow tube down top handle portion. This woman was absolutely gorgious. She dressed almost as if royalty and sat back on the couch with an almost sense of nobility. When she spoke there was a girly sing song pattern.

"You're scaring her with your stories. Perhaps letting the captain speak and tell his experiance is best."

"Thank ye lass. As I be sayin. I only know I saw dense forest for as far as the eye could see and eyes in the shadows. I left before I had chance for anything to end me, or to discover anything more. I was only der for the treasure in the first place."

He seemed to fall silent, as if trying to remember something he had forgotten. However, after a few seconds he couldn't say anything else on the matter. As if forcibly changing the subject he looked back up with a wide grin.

"Sorry ma'am but that be the best I can do ye fer. Perhaps our stow away could give something more for ya. He's in the hold if ye like."

MedeaMoirae

[Mission] The Mist

Post by MedeaMoirae » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Naoko listened in silence to everything every single one of them had to say. She had sat where indicated and she took the drink when offered and sipped carefully. While the words of every one of them sent a chill to her bone she kept her visible reactions to almost nothing. Part of her thought perhaps all of this was simply exaggeration, the rest of her knew regardless of truth, every word needed to be heard and carefully considered.

"I thank you, Captain, both for the information and agreeing to take me there despite your past experience." She stood, keeping her cloak about her still to cover her scant clothing and nodded. "I would like to speak to him, after which I'll need to purchase a few supplies before we depart, it shouldn't take me long, but..." She turned her attention to the women in the room, thinking they might be best when it came to her next question.

"Would one of you happen to know what sort of ensemble would be best to fit in? I fear my current attire already attracts unwanted attention." She couldn't help but chuckle at her own statement, figuring that if even the Captain saw what was under her cloak he'd probably return to the cavalier attitude he'd had when she first knocked on the door.
CharactersShow

Das Kirb

[Mission] The Mist

Post by Das Kirb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:17 pm

He seemed to lighten up as if a physical weight had been removed from his shoulders. The drink was finished and he adjusted his belt, getting ready to address the men it seemed. Before that though he stood.

"Aye lass, he's in the hold. Go 'head yerself. Just tell the men I sent ya down. If any o' them try to stop ye just send em to me. As far as clothing. . . I think one of the lasses may have something ta spare."

With that he made to hug the shinobi again and left the cabin. Shouted orders would be heard on deck as men hustled to heed them. A woman stood and appraised Naoko fully. The other two followed their captain, leaving on the blond.

"Alright, I think I have something but it's made for a sailor. I don't know if it'll work quite so well for a shinobi like you. I've seen the way you all move and it may prove difficult. However, let me see the you behind that cloak. I need to know your body to figure what needs done. Also, you'll need it warm so picking up a jacket might be a good idea."

MedeaMoirae

[Mission] The Mist

Post by MedeaMoirae » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Naoko frowned as she was asked to reveal her body and lack of clothing beneath the cloak and she glanced towards the door as if to double check that the Captain had indeed left. She moved the cloak for it to sit behind her shoulders and reveal what little she wore beneath and she found herself actually blushing.

"Not really suited for NOT drawing attention to myself on this mission it seems. And as unlikely as my survival seems to be, I'd rather have every chance I can." she said with a chuckle.
CharactersShow

Das Kirb

[Mission] The Mist

Post by Das Kirb » Thu May 09, 2013 9:33 am

A look of calm understanding came over this woman's face. Something lightened up as she walked around Naoko, taking it her mental measurements. With a gentle hand on the shinobi's shoulder she pulled out a stick from under the desk. It was just an ordinary stick but it was lined up along the side of Naoko's leg. "I think I have something for ya honey. It's a bit more covering than that too. I see why you kept the cloak on though. You're not exactly hard on the eyes there dear."

With a motion of her hand she went towards the back, signaling for Naoko to follow. From the shelf she pulled what appeared to be a pair of warm pants with a rather nicely crafted leather belt. The pants were a little tattered but they would function well and be warm. A shirt with slightly long sleeves that cut at the elbow as if torn by a sabre's slice. A cloak went with it that seemed to be as thick and warm as a wool blanket. The biting cold wouldn't be a problem in these. However, the shoes were striking. They weren't shoes so much as lace up boots that went a bit up the calve. There was no heel as would be expected, in fact they looked as if to belong to some sort of warrior.

"Pulled it off a man that died at sea. Sorry but it's the only thing I can spare that'll fit you and is warm and covering." With that she set the clothing on the bed and made to leave the room, giving Naoko a bit of privacy to change in peace.

MedeaMoirae

[Mission] The Mist

Post by MedeaMoirae » Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Naoko did not blush at the compliment, but smiled and nodded before commenting on the fact. "Yes, in some missions I admit it's come in handy, but seems to me that this is not one of those missions. she told her.

As she was handed the clothing she looked each over in turn and nodded as the woman spoke again, chuckling at the fact that it'd been taken from a dead man. Would she suffer the same fate? "Thank you. These will work great honestly."

She told her. When the woman left, Naoko changed into the new clothes and stepped out of the room, on her way to speak to the man the Captain had mentioned. Perhaps he would have some kind of information for her.
CharactersShow

Das Kirb

[Mission] The Mist

Post by Das Kirb » Wed May 22, 2013 6:51 pm

The ship was bustling with shouted orders coming from the upper decks. Several men would hustle here and there, all giving Naoko a wide leave. It wasn't like they feared her, they seemed to just be used to dealing with a large number of people doing their business, and working around them instead of through them. The entrance to the lower decks would be easily found but shut and locked.

From the other side a man seemed to shout back several things that couldn't be understood. It seemed to be shouted towards other crewmen, not Naoko. When the door swung open a friendly, if filthy face greeting her. "Why 'ello poppit. You want to talk to our crazy don't ye?" He gave a smile that was almost rancid. It appeared he hadn't left the lower decks in years. Without skipping a beat he opened the way for Naoko and stepped aside though, returning to business with other crewmen.

Along the way there were several holds, all with thick sealed doors. At the very back of the ship was what Naoko seeked. A small man that looked to be no more than three and a half feet tall should he walk upright. However it was clear he was used to hunching over, calloused knuckles told he walked as if an ape. As Naoko approached she'd hear an undecipherable jibbering. He seemed lost in his own world and general prodding wouldn't get his attention. His mind was all but gone, shattered and broken as his skin and bones body was.

MedeaMoirae

[Mission] The Mist

Post by MedeaMoirae » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Naoko approached in silence, choosing not to engage the man directly just yet. She sat on the floor in front of the cage, leaving enough space between her and the bars, about four feet, that he shouldn't be able to reach her should he try to. Instead of speaking, she chose to watch him. She waited to see if he would notice her.

From what little she saw already, she wasn't sure he'd be of much use to her. But something was better than nothing, and maybe something was exactly what he could give her.
CharactersShow

Return to “Water Country”