[Graded][Plotboard - Closed] Of Light and Dark

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:46 pm

He just wanted it to be over at this point. So much for the rescue mission, eh? He was sent to save a girl and now instead he was just as trapped as she was in this place. It had been a rollercoaster of fear, of fight and flight, and emotions the man had never wanted to visit again that were now thrust upon him anew. He simply wasn't okay with the life they were forced to live down here and he just wanted to find a way out of it all. Though he had lost hope of it, he still silently prayed that the next doorway they went through would be the end of it.

Prayer. Something else that had been a stranger to him for so long now.

Swearing to himself mentally he pushed the door open and into another room. Both disappointed and unsurprised by the the fact that they were still trapped, the contents of the room itself were at least different. It was a great and cavernous space like so many others, yet before them was a pedestal with a golden altar. All around the room were murals of the fight of light and dark, but Arata hardly noticed them. He noticed the golden altar, and the light shining down on it. As Arata stepped closer he didn't touch it, but looked up to try and find a source of the light but found none.

"What is this place?" he wondered aloud, turning to look at his partner in this situation.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Kiyori followed Arata into the room, leaving behind the corpses of the spider women in the as she made her way into the grand chamber before them. It wasn't an exit by any means, which of course left her disappointed, though by this point she was getting used to the disappointment. However, as her eyes scanned the room, she was immediately struck speechless by the shear beauty of the chamber. It was -huge-, and on top of that it was bright; the brightest room they had entered by far. "I have no idea... but the bright light is a welcome change." She stated half mindedly while she scanned the room.

The large, circular chamber was chock full of various murals and hieroglyphs, all depicting the story of an ancient canine spirit that seemed to guard over the sun and protect it from those that would snuff it out. The centerpiece of the room, a large altar laid with gold and jewels, depicted various signs of Yuumagure. Kiyori instantly recognized it as a shrine to the sun, but it was the most brilliant and beautiful altar she had ever seen in her life. "This is a room of worship... The symbols and such that I found earlier on, combined with these symbols... this is without a doubt a temple dedicated to the sun, to Her Light."

She marveled at the beauty of the room, and as the story continued it seemed that there were a select few that could harness the power of the sun... There were pictures of men and women who held sunlight in the palms of their hands. It was an amazing story, but it could only be just that... a story. "Well, the place is beautiful... but it's a dead end. We should be going."
Jutsu UsedShow
~Dosatsugan - Recall - Scenery
C-Ranked Ninjutsu
By using their Dosatsugan to 'record' and look at a type of scenery, the clan member is able to recall the scenery, and, going above that, see the scenery in almost any angle. The reconstruction is done entirely by their eye, letting them 'see' in each different part of the area. However, there are limitations. This doesn't allow them to actually see through anything, but, the eye 'fills in' what isn't there. So, if someone is hiding by a bush, they would see a normal bush. This takes a full post to complete the picture, so other Dosatsugan jutsu cannot be used.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:51 pm

"Tch." Arata made a face, raising a corner of his lip as Kiyori spoke. "Trapped in a ruin and I still can't get away from that crazed religion." he added as he turned to look at one of the murals. He couldn't help staring at it, this one seemed older than the others, the shape of a coyote in it that somehow struck the man. For a moment he looked at it and saw nothing, and yet when he looked towards the altar at the center of the room and looked back, he could swear the image had moved somehow. For a moment he just stared at it in bewilderment before clearing his throat. "Uh... Kiyori." he said carefully. "I swear this image changed from a moment ago." he added, turning and giving her an odd look before looking back at it.

"How is it a nonbeliever is so protective of a devout?"

Arata made a sound of frustration at the voice as he looked around. "What the hell?! Is someone here or not? I'm getting tired of these damn voices!" he snarled, his eye catching the mural again. It was as if he noticed the strange mark that was carved into the Coyote for the first time.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:01 pm

A shake of her head was all she would give in response to Arata's tarnishing words against her faith, but she tilted her head in curiosity as he mentioned the changing symbol. She went to look at the symbol and he was absolutely right; it had changed. "That mark. I memorized this entire room already, and that mark wasn't there before." Her eyes could not be fooled in that regard, and something was clearly going on here... especially since that voice was back.

"Whoever or whatever you are, I'm done playing your games. Either reveal yourself to us or shut up. The whole "disembodied voice" thing was getting really old, and at this point it was more of a distraction then anything else. She would continue to read over the hieroglyphs until all of the information was properly digested... but then she had no idea what to do next. The only option was to go back...
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:12 pm

As the pair examined the mural, there was a sound like paws on pavement, but it wasn't until Arata turned to look at the altar that he saw the source. Next to the altar was a coyote, simply sitting there looking at him and the man froze for a moment before he realized he could almost see through the animal. "Things sure have changed since my day, a devout was once known for blind faith, and yet you demand to see." The animal said.

Arata simply blinked as he leaned against the mural and nudged Kiyori with an elbow, his arms crossed over his chest. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think I was still drunk or high.... but I'm pretty sure that ran out awhile ago." he told her, motioning to the animal as it sat beside the gold altar.

"You've both made it through every test, and still you have no faith?"

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Just as she was about to exit the room, She heard the voice once again, and as Arata nudged her she turned around to see the transparent animal creature sitting next to the altar. It's voice was gruff, deep... like gravel on gravel. And it's words were harsh, though not aimed at her. "Yes I demand to see, because as far as I know in my understanding of Her Light, you're not related to Yuumagure in the slightest. How dare you desecrate Her Light in such a way!" Clearly she was pissed about what this spirit was saying and doing... but there was also this nagging feeling in her mind. From what she had read, this coyote -did- have something to do with this place...

"Judging by the murals on the walls, you have something to do with this place... and I know i've heard that voice once or twice while I've been down here. So talk; Who are you, and what is this place?
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:31 am

Even Arata had to keep from snorting as in one swift moment Kiyori accused the creature of defiling the place, but then demanded to know its role in the place. 'Perhaps its because I don't believe... but I think I can see it already.' The man had no idea that the exact reason he could understand the animal's role in the place was only because he was meant to. This pair were being met by Fate.

At the same moment that Arata was fighting the urge to snort, the Coyote did just that, though the move almost looked more like a sneeze before he stood on all fours and stretched forward. "Child it seems to me that believers of your age have simply lost touch with the purpose of me and mine." he remarked as he walked slowly over to the mural the pair had been looking at. "I am there." he said, nodding his nose towards the image. "I guard this place... every test you went through was mine. I am the darkness that hinders and absorbs all evil that would threaten the light... even if it means I may never touch it myself." he said, turning and looking at the altar in nearly a forlorn fashion, as if there were some unfulfilled desire in the animal's mind.

He turned to look at Kiyori a moment. "I have guarded this altar for over a thousand years... now you have two choices child, I can educate you and perhaps you can receive the blessing this altar holds and escape this place... or I can bring this place down around your heads and bury it all one final time."

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:45 am

Kiyori wasn't quite sure how to react to what the spirit was saying... On one hand, everything she had ever been taught about Yuumagure told her that this creature, this spirit, was a child of the night. An ill omen, an evil being that would desecrate the light at any chance it got. On the other hand however, not only was it the one in control of all of the things they had encountered, but here it was, standing next to that altar... and not once did he even try to defile it. Perhaps this was some long forgotten practice of ancient followers of Her Light, as the spirit said... to use that which would strive to destroy the light as a defense against itself.

A small huff of uncertainty escaped her mouth as she shook her head, looking back to the coyote once more. "I... I suppose I'm not left with much choice am I? If what you say is true, we're at your mercy regardless of whether we want to be or not. So please, continue spirit. Educate me." Kiyori would take a few steps closer to the altar and the spirit, standing just at the start of the steps that lead up to the altar as she waited for what the spirit would say next.
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:59 pm

The coyote shook his head as Kiyori spoke, but said nothing in direct response. Instead he chose to continue on the subject at hand as he moved on to the next mural on the wall. "I was once just an animal, companion to the high priest of this place." he told them. "I was sacrificed that I might guard the altar from those who might defile it, and only those who could pass my trials were to be allowed through to gain its blessings." The animal sighed as it stepped up to the next mural and stared up at it, it almost seemed sad.

"But faith waned... my temple was left unguarded and criminals thought they might take things of value from here. I had to act rashly, I had to summon the sands and bury this place... to keep it safe." His eyes turned to the altar a moment, giving it a strange look. "I can't even touch it, I have kept so much darkness from it for so many years I would only defile it myself." He looked at Kiyori a moment however, shaking himself as most animals do when shifting their focus. "Now you tell me. Who are you? What is your devotion to Yuumagure, child?"

All the while Arata remained where he was, arms crossed as he leaned against a wall and watched the exchange. He shook his head as he listened to the exchange, despite seeing everything around him he still couldn't help his own cynicism.

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Kiyori stood with her arms crossed, still not entirely sure of what this coyote was saying. She couldn't help but think this thing was telling the truth though; after all, the story depicted by the murals surrounding them only helped to confirm it's story. "So what you're saying is that this temple, built to honor the sun, participated in a practice of using creatures of the night to protect the very thing they are sworn enemies of... Fascinating. It's incredible how things change over the years, how practices can be forgotten or changed over the course of time. Today, you and your kind are seen as evil creatures, as ill omens that oppose and seek to snuff out the light."

Kiyori may have been wrong about this creature, but it was hard to rewrite the belief she had held for most of her life. It was hard to change her thoughts on this spirit and the perceived evil that accompanied it, as taught by modern Yuumagure. It asked her it's question about her devotion, and she would answer. "Me? I'm Henrin, Kiyori, a special jounin of Sunagakure no Sato. My devotion to the faith of Yuumagure? Well, as stated earlier, I suppose that depends on your definitions of the religion. By modern standards, I would consider myself an exemplar of the faith. I consider myself to be above the standard... I cherish all life touched by Her Light, I abstain from all that we teach against such as drugs, alcohol, and mind affecting substances of all kinds, even during the one week a year when our village allows such things. I... I live my life in dedication to Her Light."

It was the best answer she could give. And without even realizing it, Kiyori had started to ascend the steps one by one, slowly but surely making her way towards the coyote spirit and the altar it guarded. She was about half way up the steps.
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:40 pm

"Without darkness, the light cannot be truly seen and appreciated." The Coyote replied as Kiyori spoke of the way worship had changed, the way the world had changed its view of this religion. "In my day it was seen that, in many ways, only darkness could protect the light." he added as he seemed to walk slowly back around the room to where Kiyori stood. "There is darkness that threatens the light to be sure, but some of us may be used to the benefit of the light, when used appropriately." When stopped now, he stopped near Arata who seemed a little uncomfortable as the coyote sat near his feet and kept his eyes on Kiyori.

If the animal could truly smile, he would be, as he watched the way Kiyori was moving naturally closer to the altar. As Arata opened his mouth to say something the spirit's tail smacked into the back of his leg, earning a glare from the samurai. "Have you even noticed how you are drawn to it, Kiyori?" he asked her. "The Light calls to you... it has one final gift to bestow, and it seems to want to bestow it on you."

He sighed almost happily as he tilted his head and watched the Henrin. "Perhaps I can finally rest..."

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Kiyori heard the words the Coyote spoke in the back of her mind, but she was entranced by the altar in front of her. Slowly she moved up the steps until finally she stood on the pedestal that the altar rested upon. Admittedly, it seemed a lot smaller up close; it was maybe a meter long and half a meter wide and tall, a nice rectangular altar. Four dim flames flickered on the corners of the altar, and in the center was a large sconce in the shape of the sun, shining brightly with the flame inside of it. Still entranced by the glow of the altar, Kiyori dropped to her knees in front of the altar, then fell to her hands.

"You say this altar... wants to bestow a gift upon me. Part of me wants to ask what that is... but truly, I don't believe what it is matters. If you are right, if Her Light wants to bless me... I owe it to Her Light to receive whatever it has in store for me, and take any and all challenges that accompany it." She fell silent in prayer, bringing her arms in front of her chest as she called out in her mind. Blessed Light, I seek you out in my time of need. If this is truly your will, please give me a sign, anything to let me know that this is what you wish of me.

A few moments went by as she sat in silence, as if she expected actual words from the sun itself... that was a thought. But in essence it also wasn't entirely wrong. As if it were against her will, a memory from her past was recalled on it's own... a memory of Emi, saying only a single phrase as she looked into Kiyori's eyes and smiled. You're meant to do wonderful things in this world Kiyori... You can do anything you put your mind to. I believe in you. Her eyes opened a moment later, and a single tear fell down both eyes...

She hadn't even realized her hand had drifted towards the altar in her trance, her palm rested against the sconce centerpiece... it was warm, but it did not burn her... it felt gentle...
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Arata shook his head as he watched things transpire, having a hard time keeping his silence as Kiyori began to speak of the light. "Mindless dribble..." he muttered, still shaking his head as he turned and noticed the Coyote staring at him strangely. "What?"

"You're rude." Came the reply.

Arata blew air through his nose in a partial laugh at the notion. "No shit. They don't call me the faithless samurai for nothing." he retorted, shaking his head as he looked and saw Kiyori reaching for the altar. Suddenly worried for her safety he reached out to stop her, but the Coyote moved against his legs to push him back and keep him from intervening.

"It will not hurt her. Trust me."

Arata glared down at the spirit. "Why should I trust you? From what you've said, you've tried to kill us multiple times just to keep us out of this room. Just because you tell me that's a mystical whoozit with some blessing to bestow doesn't mean it really is."

The Coyote seemed to wheeze, a sound not unlike a laugh for the animal. "You are like me, sitting here, watching, protecting... and you don't believe at all though do you?"

Arata shook his head. "I have no reason to."

"Maybe you believe in her?"

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:47 pm

The voices of the spirit and man behind her faded into nothing as Kiyori's hand rest against the sun shaped golden sconce, the world around her seemed to disappear as she was overcome by a blinding light. Her eyes shut tight as the light grew in intensity, but eventually she was able to squint and see the heavenly glow before her. It was as though she stared directly into the sun itself, and it's light pierced her eyes... no, it pierced her very being. It passed through her body, permeated every inch of her being and flowed through every part of her. The light felt gentle, yet furious. Calm, yet powerful. And warm... very, very warm. So warm that she was sweating as it radiated all over her body.

In reality, what Arata and the spirit would see was much different; The murals lining the walls seemed to ignite at Kiyori's touch, glowing with a golden light that slowly crawled along the entirety of the walls and ceiling. Once it hit the pillars that supported the ceiling above the altar, the light flowed down through the pillars in a spiral as if water flowing down a tube. Then, once it hit the floor, the light flowed towards the pedestal, crawling it's way up the stairs until it reached the altar itself. All the while, the entire room seemed to hum with power, and it didn't take a sensor ninja to feel the colossal surge of chakra that was flowing through the room. More then any one technique that either shinobi had ever bore witness to by an incredibly large margin... something that, to the best of their knowledge, could not be recreated by a single shinobi, even one as skilled as a Kage or Bannin.

It was the culmination of 1,000 years worth of chakra, built up over the course of time and stored within this chamber... It was the power that the spirit spoke of, the power that Her Light wished to bestow upon Kiyori. It was the power of the sun.

It filled the altar, and by this point the room itself was filled with blinding light, making Kiyori appear as if nothing but a silhouette encapsulated by the powerful light emanating from the altar. And the heat was intense; Arata would no doubt be sweating even as far away as he was from the altar, which was about 50 meters. Yet Kiyori was not burned by the heat radiating from the altar, even as the stones beneath her feet began to melt she remained unphased except for a bit of sweat. As the altar reached it's crescendo, All of the power in the room began to enter the altar; the murals lost their light first, and then the pillars and floor, and finally the last of the power flowed up the steps and into the still vibrantly glowing altar.

And then, all at once, it released it's power in what sounded like a destructive explosion:

BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!

And yet, there was no force, nothing to harm anyone in the room except for the sound itself, which might have caused momentary deafness in Arata, and another blinding flash that engulfed the entire room. When sight and sound returned to Arata, he would look upon Kiyori... floating in the air. She was engulfed by a golden aura of light, and her body was completely covered, head to toe, in various glowing lines of varying thickness and length; tattoos. The glow surrounding her was her chakra, and as she slowly descended back to the ground, she took a deep breath before turning to look to Arata and the spirit.

"...What just happened?"
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Arata couldn't even begin to describe what just occurred in that room. He was staring helplessly as Kiyori was enveloped by this strange light, as well as what he could only describe as chaos as the murals even came to life. The deafening explosion caused him to cover his ears and yet they still rang, but he wasn't blown back into the wall. When he opened his eyes again there was Kiyori still, floating in light and seemingly just as confused as he was. All he could do was stare at her in response. He took a step towards her, reaching out, but then the Coyote suddenly grabbed him by his clothes.

When Arata turned to look at him in a rage, ready to attack, he saw the look of concern in the animal's face. "It is the final blessing. She will be stronger now, she is the light walking in living form now." he told her. "And she needs a protector."

Arata stared at the Coyote with eyes wide, memories rushing across his mind as he remembered his sister, and what happened to her. "I can't protect anyone." he said, staring at the Coyote.

"That wasn't your fault." The Coyote seemed to sigh, tilting his head as he looked at Arata. "I have one more gift I can give. But it can be a greater hardship in a lot of ways... can you handle that?"

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:35 pm

Slowly, Kiyori descended the steps, her body still incredibly weak and her mind still reeling as this newfound power flowed through her body. She made it down the steps pretty easily, but once she started to get close to Arata and the spirit she began to feel faint, and no doubt Arata would have to catch her before she fell to the ground. "I... I'm not sure I understand. What..." It was then that she finally noticed her arms... and the rest of her body. "I feel warm... and weird. What's happening to me?" Kiyori's eyes then rolled back into her head.

If Arata felt her pulse, he found find that nothing about her was out of place; she had merely fainted. But it was clear that Kiyori would not be able to leave this place of her own volition, and there was no telling how long she would be knocked out for. It would seem the spirit was right; Kiyori would need a protector. She would need an ally, a comrade... a friend.
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:53 pm

The Coyote stood by and watched as Kiyori came down the steps, interrupting the conversation he'd been having with Arata. But in truth, he didn't need and answer. Arata's immediate response was to rush forward and catch Kiyori, taking her gently in his arms as he checked her for breath and pulse before looking at the spirit. "Please, I need to get her out of here!"

The Coyote sighed. "I'll show you everything you need." He said simply, taking steps towards Arata without stopping.

Neither Arata nor Kiyori would be able to recall the exact events that led to their escape from the temple. By the time the pair would arrive back at the village it would be Kiyori leading Arata along, white-eyed and seemingly incoherent.

Return to “Wind Country”