Wanted: Sign Writer

Saki-Chan

Wanted: Sign Writer

Post by Saki-Chan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:03 am

Zendra sat hunched in a candle-lit booth, her back to the candle-lit inn. Her nose was nestled into the crook of her sleeved arm, her only refuge from the smell of rancid travelers. The window to her right was so soot-stained from the ever-burning candles that she doubted if even the light of the noonday sun could brighten the dingy room.

“This place smells wretched. Are you sure he’s coming?” Her sleeve muffled the words as she spoke. She wondered if her gray-haired uncle across from her would hear her over the din of the other patrons.

“You’re probably the only scribe within a week’s travel.” The man said. “He’ll come.” He sounded confident, but a strong hand rested on the long knife at his belt. His experienced eyes were fixed on the door.

“If he doesn’t come soon, can we leave? Even my sleeve is starting to smell.” She complained.

“That’s your breath. Breathing into a cloth makes it smell like your mouth. Chewing mint makes the smell more pleasant.” He said, having taken it upon himself to educate his young niece in the practical wisdom that could not be learned from books - essentially everything important in life.

Nick

Re: Wanted: Sign Writer

Post by Nick » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:05 pm

God, how Fuhen hated the cold. He was cold-blooded by nature, and of course River Country was fairly warm year round, except in the harshest of winters. His travels took him all over the world, but few places were as terrible as closer towards the north, in places with names such as "frost" country, "blizzard" country, "snow" country, or "Fuck off it's cold" country. He made a silent vow that he would save exploring for these after he learned how to light himself on fire without dying horribly.

He had at least found a place to settle down while the snow died down (or at least he hoped it would) and decided to take the time to have a few letters sent to his family. Neither he nor his family could read, but it was a skill taught to most couriers and merchants, and if nothing else, it let his family know he was thinking about them, and truly he did.

Having asked around town, most didn't really know about any sort of letter writer, as such skills were fairly rare, though one finally pointed him in a direction. Having found the building indicated by the passer-by, he would, as he often did, boldly open the door. "Oi! Wuzzat 'round by 'ere that kin write me a letter, eh?"
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Saki-Chan

Post by Saki-Chan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Zandra was about to complain again when the door burst open. The teen had to turn over her shoulder to see who it was, hoping it was her customer. She was dismayed to discover that he was just some foreigner. She didn’t even speak his language. She started to turn back around to get her nose back in the crook of her arm before she had to breathe in again, but here uncle waved the newcomer over. “That’s him. Be nice.”

The girl was confused for a moment but then comprehension dawned on her. “What? Him? I don’t even speak his language, how am I supposed to write a letter for him?” ‘I didn’t even know there were other languages other than the two that I know.’ She added to herself.

“Get your face out of your arm. He’s a paying client and we need the money.” Said her uncle.

“Then we’re going to have to go somewhere else. There’s no way I’ll be able to focus in here. Can’t we rent a room or something? At least then maybe it won’t smell so bad.” She complained.

“Rooms cost money. If you do your work and impress this guy, maybe he’ll recommend others and then we can talk about luxuries.”

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:25 pm

"Oh eh... Ah'm right here, yanno..." The frog said, ducking down through the doorway to avoid hitting his head against the frame, and still remained humched as he walked inside, unsure if the height of the ceiling was sufficient.

Fuhen shivered and shook his whole body in attempts to warm up as he shut the door behind him. "Ahm a leetle short on cash, I'm afraid, but, err... Hmm..." He put a finger to his chin in thought, brie his face brightened up as though he had a bright idea. "Oh! I's kin make money though! I'm wunna them swordyfolk what learned summa that ninja magic! If'n ye ken maybe... Make me a sign about a show... Ooh! Or lessons! I'm's bettin I could make plenty with that!"
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Return to “Other Countries”