Time's Onward March

Hikaru lonely/trainings

Kabu

Time's Onward March

Post by Kabu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:47 pm

It had been an unusually busy day for Hikaru’s little inn, Hikaru having done not much else but run back and forth between the main desk and tending to her patrons. It was exhausting but she took it all in stride, having known full well there would be days like when she had chosen to take up the life of an innkeeper.

After countless hours of near nonstop running around business dribbled to a close with most either heading up to bed or having simply dropped by for a nice place to eat and drink, Hikaru finally found herself able to relax, simply slumping down into the nearest chair and faceplanting on a table with a groan. ”I shouldn’t complain that business is good but I’m so tired. Why the fuck has it been so busy?” she grumbled to herself. It had been like this for days now, each worse than the last, and it was beginning to wear her down.

”There are simply a lot more people on the roads. Fur Country is hosting their festival again this year and from what I hear, it gathers quite a crowd.” the one other person in the room spoke up from nearby, Hikaru turning her head to see a curvaceous young woman with short red hair sitting on the other side of the table, elbows on the table and her head in her hands.

”That’s right, this happened last year too. Right around the same time as well, though it wasn’t nearly this bad.” she said, pushing herself up off the table and out of her chair, turning and walking over to the cabinet behind her desk, pulling out a small bottle of sake and a single cup before returning to the table.

”If it’s so hard you should really think about getting some help. I would even be willing to work for free.”

”Hm? Mizuki, you already know the answer to that.” Hikaru replied, somewhat absentmindedly as she was focused on her drink.

“You say that, but I saw you struggling. You’ve been struggling. Come on, as a friend I want to help.” Mizuki replied, pouting as she sat up straight, crossing her arms and legs. She really hated being refused like this, especially when she could very well see just how exhausted the woman was.

“Mizuki, please. I know that but believe me when I say I’m fine by myself. I’ve just been off my game is all.” Hikaru downed her drink in a single gulp before turning her attention fully back to her one recurring customer/friend. Mizuki had came by near every day since a few months back and they had gotten to know each other fairly well, that knowledge including the fact that she worked very much alone. She enjoyed working alone, at least that's what she kept telling herself.

Mizuki tilted her head a moment, seeming to be in thought before suddenly sighing and shaking her head. ”Boss, this isn’t the mercenary business. You don’t need to be afraid to work with others. Besides, from what you told me, that stuff with her happened a long time ago.”

At that Hikaru placed the bottle that she was currently holding down on the table and took a deep breath, appearing to be outwardly calm, though anyone who knew her would know that that wasn’t the case. Mizuki dear, would you mind repeating that? Who did you say was afraid?” she spoke slowly and dryly, any hint of emotion gone from her voice as she reached for her bokken, which she always kept on her to use on troublemakers.

”I.. uh..,” Mizuki found herself terrified and unable to reply, immediately closing her mouth as soon as it had opened. She knew Hikaru was fiery from the way that she dealt with troublemakers but this was very different. She knew that she was in trouble

It seemed though that she was about to find out just how different. “How dare you. Of course I'm afraid, but I'm also just not ready. I’ve told you that but you never listen! I don't want help from you or anyone else. I'm doing just fine on my own!” Hikaru spoke with a trembling voice, the emotion and volume slowly returning to her voice, though she was able to catch herself before she got too loud, though while she did that for the sake of the others in their rooms, she wasn’t quite able to restrain herself from giving the other woman a light wack upside the head.

Before Mizuki could even think to respond, Hikaru stood and walked over to the door making sure to grab her wakizashi and fasten it to her hip on way. “I’m sorry. Listen, I need some fresh air. I’m counting on you to watch the shop for me. Just for a bit. Thanks pal.” Now sounding truly tired and dejected as she stood in the doorway, refusing to look behind her.

”Okay… No problem.” was all that Mizuki could really say as she watched Hikaru leave, rubbing her head while wincing in pain. That blow had really hurt, but it was that pain that let her know that she had truly screwed up. ”Why am I so stupid? I truly do want to do my part after imposing on her for so long, but why did I have to say that?” she muttered to herself, sighing as she picked up the abandoned glass and bottle and returned them to their proper place. ”I’ll do some cleaning. It’s the least I can do for now.”

Meanwhile Hikaru was marching down the blackened streets with nothing but the moonlight to guide her. She didn’t know where she was going but for now she was fine with aimless walking as she didn’t plan on going too terribly far. More importantly was that she felt terrible about what happened since she had had time to clear her head. Why did I scream at my only friend? It’s been so stressful and I do need the help but... She had been once more about to tell herself that she wasn’t ready but was that truly it? Why wasn’t she ready? Well, no matter the answer she knew that she had been out of line and had to apologize but first…

“You know, you’re either stupid or reckless. I could tell you were coming from a mile away!” she suddenly called out, drawing her sword and turning to intercept a blade coming her way, its owner at first looking surprised before suddenly grinning. “Target acquired.”

Hikaru could only raise a brow, unable to so much as open her mouth before feeling a strong blow from behind, almost immediately falling over in unconsciousness, one of her assailants throwing her limp form over their shoulder and carrying her off to who knew where.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Nakano Kiyomi - #8E47AD], Nakano Ayaka - #0C1C8C
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Karagata yamada - #CE1126, Makura Ayame - #7251BC
Kabu's Test Thread

Return to “Other Countries”