[Graded][Plotboard] The Power of Ki

Sato and Naoki access their Inner Ki! [closed]

TyDie

[Graded][Plotboard] The Power of Ki

Post by TyDie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Gold Country... A country that Naoki had only been to once before, though it was a pleasant stay at the least. He bore no ill will towards the land, though it's feud with the neighboring Silver Country left a poor taste in his mouth. "Haaa.... Why can't people just get along Sato? All these feuds and wars depress me." The small sigh of disappointment as thoughts of Gold and Silver country crossed his mind broke an otherwise tranquil silence as the two samurai made their way along a narrow path through one of Gold Country's many forests. The two were here on a sort of mission, though this was not about making money or saving someone in need. This journey, this quest, was all about self reflection... and growth.

"I know I've said it before Sato, but I can still hardly believe my eyes. You and your stretching limbs, Fuhen and his levitating swords... It all seems like sorcery to me, dark magic of some sort. Beyond that even, Fuhen says that Ninjas are real, and even exhibited the strange power they call... chakra? Forgive me for still being stuck on all this but frankly my world is sort of turned upside down. But I guess that's why were here right? I need to somehow keep up with all this. How can I expect to keep my oath if I can't hold a candle to all of these things I've seen?" Naoki was clearly astounded by the amazing feats he had witnessed the past few weeks. Fuhen was one thing, but now Sato and apparently hundreds more can use these strange powers? He needed an edge, something to keep him relevant.

And if the rumors were true, the two had found it in a small Dojo hidden within this big forest. They were still far from where it was supposed to be, walking along the path that supposedly lead to it. But who knew for sure if it was even still around?
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Zao

[Plotboard] The Power of Ki

Post by Zao » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:54 pm

I’ve wondered the same thing my friend, but the strong seem to feel the need to prey on the weak. It is one of the reasons that I am striving to become a powerful swordsman.” The thin framed man who normally spoke with a quiet, withdrawn voice was rather bold sounding as he replied to the man’s words about why people can’t seem to get along with one another and the feuds and wars. The actions of Fuhen and Gendo that had stopped a number of evil men within Dragon country was one of the main reasons that he’d seeked out the Frogman, not only was he a strong fighter but one who fought for the righteous cause. The man wore his large machete on either hip at the moment, his normal loose robe attire, and a small day pack that was strapped over both shoulders carrying various things for the trip to Gold country.

When his friend had asked him to journey with him Sato had been a bit hesitant as he didn’t know the man that well, but Fuhen had vouched for him and the swordsman in training but his absolute trust in the man. Plus when Naoki had spoke about the remote village in Gold country and the legendary Ki that had been said to be able to compete with the like of the magical chakra, it was an opportunity that he couldn’t pass up and the man had always wanted to travel the world so it was just another reason to come along with his new friend. Giving the blessing of Fuhen to go out and venture and to use it as a manner to temper his fighting and kenjutsu skills the pair had set off on the long journey that had them winding through one of the many giant forests within the country of Gold.

I had truly never known what to think about what my body was capable of doing, but when I found out about how magical shinobi were I kind of felt a little unsure of what I could accomplish. Even my master Fuhen as strange powers of his own that are not the effects of the chakra ninja use,” Sato shifted his grey eyes to the right side as they could see the man traveling beside him as they walked at a casual traveling pace along the somewhat narrow pathway at the moment, trying to reflect on what he said. But even the man who had received some training in the art of chakra wondered if he would be able to compete with the likes of the powerful shinobi like those he had seen at Fur country. “I hope that we can find something that will at least allow us to stand on equal footing when facing such things.

The man once more mentioned his oath, something he had spoken of when they first met and a few times along the venture here but it was a bit hard for him to understand the reasoning behind it not knowing the background of his friend. Plus Sato had never been placed into the position where there was no other course of action but to take the life of another, though it was something he thought about and attempted to mentally prepare for it would still be a hard task to perform and then deal with. “Your oath...what made you take such a restrictive oath, Naoki-san?
CharactersShow
Active
Tsukino Hisato - Kiri Chuunin - Seven Swordsman Dagger

Saisuko Zao - Suna Bannin - Spirit Weapon Saint

Kyōhō Ken - The White Snake Sage - S Rank Assassin/Bounty Hunter

Aburame Hisato S-rank Mn / Inactive

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

Arashiyama Ning - Kumo Chuunin - Weilder of the Ghost Spear

Yami Kasai - Mizukage - The Black Reaper - DEAD

Genso - Elemental Crafting Shaman - A Rank Monk - Inactive

Aburame Akiro - Konoha Jounin - ANBU Member - Inactive

Hyōryū -- Suna S-Rank / Dead / Used as Inheritance.

Xi - Iwa Jounin / Inactive

Sato - A Rank, "The Cleaving Swordsman " / Inactive

Akujin - Konoha Genin, Art Ninjutsu Guy / Inactive

Toukai Touma - Kiri Genin / Inactive

Arashiyama, Toushi - Kumo Bannin / Dead

Hitachiai - Iwa Jounin / Inactive

Ji Ning - Iwa Genin / Inactive

Naegi, Chin - A-rank MN / Inactive

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:51 am

Naoki nodded in understanding, albeit a very base level of understanding, regarding the abilities that Sato and Fuhen had displayed before him. "Yes, I suppose to you the stretching must feel normal, since you were born that way after all. And the same goes for Fuhen and his sticky saliva and stretchy tongue. After all, we call him the Frog for a reason! But to us average folks, you two appear as strange mutants... No offense meant of course. I know better now that you're just regular people with irregular abilities. Still, I can't imagine that was easy for you growing up..."

Naoki mused on the concept of growing up with one of those weird abilities himself... what would he do if he could stretch like Sato, or had the properties of a frog like Fuhen? Would his life had been different? Would that power have been able to save... No. He had to stop that thought before it went any farther. Letting out a small sigh, he reached for the bottle of Sake strapped to his right hip and took a big swig of the liquid within, making a slight face as the burning alcohol went down his throat. It wasn't healthy to think that way...

But it seemed that Sato had finally decided to ask the all important question of "why", and with another sigh and a smaller swig of his sake Naoki put the bottle back on his hip and let his left hand rest on his sealed blade. "To put it simply Sato-san, I've spilled more than my share of innocent blood for one lifetime. Service to a lord seems like the best thing a Samurai could ever ask for, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. I can never take those lives back, so instead I vowed never to take another life, and this sword is my constant reminder of that oath... of my sins." Naoki had never even learned the names of those two little girls... Their faces still haunted him every time he closed his eyes.

"I'll tell you more some other time. I think we're almost there." He didn't really know if they were close or not, he just wanted to shift off of the topic matter for the time being. He wasn't nearly drunk enough to have this conversation. Luckily for him though, he was right; as the two rounded a sort of 'S' turn in the wooded path and took a hard right, they'd find that the path lead completely straight for a Kilometer or so, and all along this path one could see tall shinto arches, painted a deep red with ivy and underbrush growing around the support beams. There were about 4 in total, and after each one they passed a strange feeling would pass through them, as if walking through a thin veil of water that calmed their senses and put to rest Naoki's restless mind. By the fourth arch, They'd be experiencing total serenity, and shortly after they would see the rumored dojo hidden within this gigantic forest.

"This must be it... I'm a bit surprised to be honest, the rumors and myths are true... Do you feel funny, Sato-san?"
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Zao

Post by Zao » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:53 am

"As a child, everyone in my family was able to do what I am able to do. But it was a very tightly kept secret because I'm sure that you are able to imagine just what other regular people thought about such a strange ability. But now that I've had my eyes opened to the world of the shinobi I honestly don't feel as strange about my own unique flexibility. Those guys really do have some fancy ninja tricks, as Fuhen-sama would say." The young man couldn't help but to agree with the man's words, even allowing for a light chuckle to escape his lips as he brought up the 'fancy ninja tricks, phrase that the Frogman would often bring up when ever he would reference shinobi and their ability to use chakra.

Sato couldn't help but let his normal smiling face turn into a slight frown now, Naoki finally allowed for him to hear the reason and though it was actually something the young swordsman had kind of expected because of the type of vow the man before him had made, but to actually hear it spelled out in such a manner he could only feel sorrow for the man. "I see, sorry that I asked you to remember that, Naoki-san." His grey eyes turned away from the fellow swordsman and back onto the narrow pathway the pair were traveling down. That was only one type of thing that the young man would end up doing in the future, even if it was someone who deserved to die it would still be a death of another that he'd have to live with for the rest of his life.

"Oh?" The man's ears perked up a bit at the mention that they might almost be there as there was a hard 'S' turn in the path and Naoki led them then on a hard right as the path seemed to become strangely perfectly straight which was something that didn't happen in nature. Finally there were structures for the pair to see including shinto arches, and a strange calming sensation that only grew stronger as the pair passed through the fourth and final archway. "It...it must be." The swordsman in training could now see the dojo that had been hidden within this gigantic forest..."I feel strangely calm, almost like I could just fall asleep right now. What is going on?"
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Naoki felt the same as Sato did, a sort of tranquility that urged him to stop where he stood and simply go to sleep. But why though? Such a strange feeling to be experiencing in such an odd land, and out of nowhere. Before Naoki could delve deeper into the questions however, he was amazed by the Dojo he now bore witness to. It was smaller than most, the main building itself only about 50 meters from end to end from what he could see of the front. There were no walls, no defenses... clearly there was no need for such things here, with the forest serving as natural obfuscation. To the right and left of the main Dojo building were four smaller building, among which were no doubt a barracks for whoever lived here and a kitchen for preparing food.

Just then, the shoji of the dojo opened, revealing an old, burly man with white cascading hair and a long, thin beard and mustache. He stood easily at 6'5, his body rippled with muscle visible through his plain brown Kimono. And judging from the pants visible underneath the Kimono, he was wearing a white Gi underneath it all. At his hip was a Daisho, a paired Katana and Wakizashi with dark blue cloth wrapped around the handle of each weapon. "Welcome, you who seek the power within. I am Shinsin, Rokurou. My family has protected this dojo, its few inhabitants, and it's secrets, for generations. No doubt you are feeling calm and relaxed, a result of passing the first trial; The Arches of Compassion. Those who feel love and connection to their fellow man experience tranquility, while those who care only for themselves are driven to rage and madness, and cannot pass through the arches. I offer my congratulations for this feat, but do not expect to walk away with our power so easily."

Rokurou had stepped down from the Dojo's porch by this point, and had approached the two samurai, standing within only a meter of each. From this distance his size could truly be appreciated; It was doubtful that either of them stood a chance against his might, but the air about him was not one of malice. No, the same tranquility that they had experienced passing through the arches was oozing from this man in waves. He truly was an enlightened man, who bore immense but restrained power. Without even realizing it, Naoki had already begun to bow before Rokurou. He could feel nothing but respect for this man and his cause, to keep such power from the likes of those who would do only wrong with it. "We are honored to stand before you, Shinsin-sama. We do seek this power, yes. But our reasons are benevolent, like your own." Rokurou raised an eyebrow with slight suspicion, but let loose a small smile after doing so. "We shall see young one. I have guarded the secret of Ki for decades... In that time, only a dozen or so have passed these trials. Hundreds have tried. The odds are not in your favor... But my hope is with you two. First, a simple question; why?""

He didn't give a context for his question. No "why this" or "why that", just ... why? The nebulous question would leave both of them to ponder for a while, but Rokurou didn't seem interested in an answer just yet. They would have time to think.
Active Characters

Zao

Post by Zao » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:34 pm

In such a tranquil state the young man closed his eyes as he could hear a faint breeze as it passed through the leaves of the thick canopy above the pair and the shifting of the earth beneath his plain looking scandals. It was truly an odd but welcome sensation that the limber man was experiencing now and opening his soft eyes he found the door to the main dojo opening to reveal an aged man. His figure was true opposing due to his muscular figure but his plain attire made the man somewhat approachable to the swordsman.

Sato's hands were slow in their movements due to the state of his body and mind due to passing through the proclaimed first trial. Had either of them came here for selfish or evil desires it would seem that they would have been unable to proceed to this point. It explained a little but only created more questions about this place and this mighty figure before them. The same sensation that the thin framed man felt from passing through the arches was now even stronger as it seemed to originate from the large man who now stood before him. Finally both hands came together in a martial salute towards Rokurou, "Greetings Rokurou-sama."

As he spoke about being able to walk away with the power contained within being a difficult feat Sato nodded as it had not been expected to be an easy task, but after experiencing this first trial he couldn't help but wonder what was to come next for the pair of swordsmen. When asked the question of 'why?' The young man who thought he knew the answer to the question suddenly felt blank in his mind. "I..." He wanted to speak but the reasoning for his journey here suddenly became unclear and he couldn't explain why...
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:41 pm

Naoki continued to ponder the simple, yet infinitely complex question presented before them, while Rokurou simply stood idly and waited. A small grin crossed his lips as Sato started to speak, then thought better of it. "Restraint is good, child. Do not speak too quickly, especially when you don't yet have all of the information. Such recklessness can lead down a dark and destructive path. Now then, I have some other tasks to attend to. FUKUROU!" The old man bellowed out among the small commune surrounding the dojo, and a moment later a door on the back right building opened. The building, if either cared to look inside, was clearly a smithy of some kind.

"Yes grandfather?" A meek looking woman older woman, likely in her 20s, exited the building. Her soft, gentle brown hair trailed behind her, falling to her hips but kept in a tight ponytail. She wore a much nicer looking Kimono than her father, colored pure white with cascading pale blue floral designs. Her lightly tanned skin seemed vibrant, a soft glow emanating from her very being. "I'd like you to assist my granddaughter with a task. You see, she needs water for tempering metal with, to cool the molten steel. She will lead the way to the stream, please follow her and do as she asks." Rokurou then turned his back on the two samurai, walking back towards the Dojo building but pausing just before shutting the Shoji. "When you return, we will continue." With that, he promptly shut the screen behind him, leaving the two in Fukurou's care.

Naoki would lead the way towards the young, iridescent woman, giving a bow of respect to the young lady. "Good day, I am Hitsumaru, Naoki." He would allow Sato the chance to introduce himself as well, and once the pleasantries were out of the way Fukurou would give a warm smile. "Alright, this should be simple enough for two strapping young men like yourselves. The stream is a couple kilometers down that path there, i'll go get the buckets." Fukurou gave a slight bow before disappearing into the smithy again. Once she returned, she had two poles, one in each hand, with two empty buckets on either end of the poles. She would silently hand one to Naoki and one to Sato before giving another smile and leading the way down the small path.

"It's been ages since we last had visitors. From where do you two hail? I've lived here all my life, so this is one of the few chances I get to hear about whats going on beyond the border of our dojo." She was clearly interested in the exotic nature of the two travelling swordsmen, though not overly so. It was a curiosity related to something different than what she had lived all her life, some new stimuli that she clung to whenever it presented itself. Sato would have the first chance to speak.
Active Characters

Zao

Post by Zao » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:12 pm

When spoken to about restraint and the patch that recklessness coyld lead one down the fragile looking swordsman had a small lump come up in his throat. Biting lightly upon his lower lip the man could only nod in response to the enlightened man's words to him. It only caused for him to longer the reasoning in a more in depth manner as he truly began to look within himself searching for the honest answer to the simple question.

As he elevated his voice calling out the name of another, a bit away one door slid open and a woman older than himself and younger than Naoki would step out. 'She is a smith?' It wasn't uncommon to see a smith as they were considered a honorable profession within his homeland but it was the first time seeing a female smith. With the woman notified of the two men the dojo master had other things to do and left them under the company of a few other samurai. "I'm Kyōhō Sato, pleasure to meet you ma'am. " Following his friend's lead he would also introduce himself briefly, as well.

A short while later the trio were on their way down to the stream, Naoki and him with their stick and two buckets in tow. It would seem that Sato was up first to speak, "How long has it been?" The spikey haired teen wondered who else had come ro such a remote place as he'd never heard Fuhen even talk about it. Which ro Sato who held the well traveled Frogman in such high reguard that he belived he would have at least known something about this place.

"Oh, I'm from the southern tip of Dragon Country!" Returning to his train of thought now he followed up with answering her question with a bit of pride for his homeland evident in his voice.
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Naoki nodded in kind to the young woman's questions, and raised a slight eyebrow as Sato spoke up about his homeland; the same homeland as himself, actually. "Huh, I too am from Dragon Country. Though my childhood home along the north-eastern edge of Dragon Country no longer exists. It was burned down by bandits in a raid, our farming supplies and produce stolen, and my family killed." Clearly not the most pleasant of Naoki's memories, though in truth the man had few pleasant memories to speak of. Naoki gave a small shrug and simply moved on with conversation, the death of his family clearly phasing him less than his own personal sins.

"I second Sato's question, exactly how long do you stay here? Surely supplies must come in from somewhere, right?" Fukurou, still a little frazzled by Naoki's dark past, gave only a light, slightly awkward chuckle before continuing. "No, our great ancestor picked a very prime location. There's plenty of game in the forest around here to eat, clean water from the nearby stream, we grow a few crops on the dojo's grounds... There's even a small mine nearby where we procure our own iron! We have imports about once a year, but they're lead by my brother, Ishiyama. I've never strayed more than a few miles outside this forest..." It might've been kind of sad to think of, but she wasn't necessarily upset over it. Curious she was, that was certain, but her wanderlust was limited and her allegiance to the cause of her family was far greater.

'Sorry, i'm mostly just trying to make some idle chit chat. It helps the time pass. Hmm... Naoki-san, that sword of yours is quite interesting... May I see?" Naoki was happy to oblige, taking a moment to reach with his left hand, the one not holding the stick with the buckets attached, for his unique Bokken. He withdrew the weapon and sheath from his belt, handing it to the woman to inspect. After all, if she was a smith, she was no doubt curious in the construction of it... even though it was entirely wood. And as expected, after inspecting the sheath for a moment, she withdrew the weapon to quickly discover it's oddity. "Wow, how fascinating! It's made entirely of wood, but it feels as rigid as steel of my own make!" "Mhmm, it's called 'ironwood'. It comes from the Land of Frost, they have gigantic trees that grow only there. Harvesting a single tree can take years of specialized tools and work, and carving wood from the sawed logs can take just as long. It was a lucky find, truth be told... Since I no longer use my sword, it serves as an adequate defense in the rare moment I must resort to violence."

Fukurou hung on every word he spoke. Obviously she had noticed the other sword, and had taken notice of his lack of a desire to show her that one. Not only that, it was clearly tied off and unable to be drawn. Naoki wasn't exactly subtle about his oath, after all. "Very interesting... your weaponry tells much about you. And the same for you, Sato-sam. Your weaponry is unorthodox, but effective, and their unique shape and design brings attention to your no doubt customized style of combat. Either you simply didn't have a knack for traditional weaponry, or you wanted to stand out from the rest somehow. Well, that or you just used what was convenient and got good with it. I've been told I overread things sometimes!" She chuckled to herself in embarassment as the trio made their way down the path. Before long, they would be able to hear water, and not long after that they'd see the stream about 500 meters away.
Active Characters

Zao

Post by Zao » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Sato was truly young and untraveled as not only the young woman was listening to his friends words as the teenager was also focused on understanding the past his traveling companion had before they'd met one another. Something that would have not of happened without the common bond between them: Fuhen-sama. Being fellow Dragon countrymen they had grown up on completely different sides of the country as his portion had been overrun with bandits due to its proximity to the border his life was one working as a chef with his family for a few noble families.

The older man beside him had experienced so much and yet Sato had only taken a single step onto his own path, there was still so much for the swordsman in training to experience and learn about. Even the wooden sword that he had personal experience with during their spar with Fur on their first meeting. A wooden sword with the durability of steel, he was finally able to hear the back story on the weapon and it didn't disappoint. "How cool!" Sato spoke aloud to himself as the woman inspected the weapon and came to the same conclusions that the spikey haired teen had in Fur. At least he knew why it had those special qualities now and it made him subconsciously look down at his own fighting tools.

"Oh these?" His grey eyes shot up at the mention of his own machetes that were displayed proudly on either hip currently, one of her assumptions was more or less spot on. "Looking off to the side away from the two he exhaled lightly with a somewhat embarrassed face. "Well, about that. In my family it is customary upon reaching adulthood to create your own culinary knife as my family are a well known family of chiefs." His gaze came back onto the pair as he spoke before glancing back down the path to see the glisten of sunlight of the moving water. Quick to try and change the subject he spoke up, "Looks like we are almost there already."
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:51 pm

Fukurou made note of the young swordsman's odd knives and his explanation for them. "Oh, a cook eh? We might have to put you to work later! prepare us a nice meal with our paltry cupboard of ingredients and spices."Fukurou laughed, but was actually entirely serious; a well cooked meal that wasn't seasoned with simple salt would be fantastic for the small family living on the dojo's grounds. Finally, the trio did close in on the stream, a 5 meter wide and about 2 meter deep trail of water running through a small clearing in the forest. "Here, this is perf-" The young woman was cut off abruptly as the sound of growling filled the air... growling coming from their right, behind a small brush. A moment later, a big black wolf stepped out from behind the brush, fangs bared and a low, menacing growl filling it's throat.

Fukurou immediately backed up a few steps, clearly afraid for her life. Fear was clear on her face, and Naoki's first instinct was to reach for his sword... But he didn't have it. Fukurou was still holding on to it. To reach for it would be too sudden of a movement, the wolf would likely attack if that was the case. But then he started to look the creature over. "Sato... Don't fight it. Turn your back to me. Very. very. slowly." He hoped that Sato would comply with his request, because if he did, this situation could be de escalated without bloodshed. One look at the animal told Naoki all he needed to know; It was a lone wolf, and it's ribs were just starting to show. It likely had gotten separated from it's pack, accidentally or otherwise, and was hungry.

All the while the wolf continued to snarl and bark, it's head hung low as it sized up the group. It knew it couldn't take any of them down without getting hurt itself, it was only a lone wolf after all. But hunger drove many to madness, especially the primal animal. Naoki was able to retrieve a large hunk of dried meat from Sato's the pack though, and held it out for the wolf to see. It continued to snarl of course, but it's nose began to twitch as it smelled the meat in Naoki's hand. Once it had caught the scent, Naoki knew he had it right where he wanted it; with a quick toss across the riverbank, the wolf's head immediately darted up to watch the meat fly through the air, and once it knew where the meat was going it took off running for it. It cared nothing for the river or getting wet, it just wanted the food.

"There. We don't have long, it might come back for more. We should leave before it does." Naoki's voice was commanding, but still retained a hint of softness. Without pause he walked towards the river, taking his two buckets off to fill them up swiftly before putting them on the stick and slinging the stick over his shoulders. The whole situation had been so fast, so tense, and yet Naoki had not only acted decisively... but did so with kindness. Even an animal was deserving of compassion. "Naoki... that was brilliant. A small bit of meat to spare all those involved, absolutely terrific!" Naoki scratched his head with slight embarrassment, not thinking too much of the situation clearly. "Well, I was gonna scare it with my sword... I didn't want to hurt the poor thing, it was clearly just hungry. No reason to harm it unless it attacked us."

With that obstacle cleared, the trio would be allowed to continue back to the Dojo, water slung over their shoulders.
Active Characters

Zao

Post by Zao » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:19 am

"While I'm not the chef that my older brother and father are...I'm not to bad either." The spikey haired youth spoke in return to the smiths words at him about being put to work to make a meal, though he laughed light heartedly about the matter cooking was vey much something that he still throughly enjoyed to do when he had the time and ingredients. Finally they had arrived but the woman's words seemed to cut off abruptly as a thin wolf broke through the treeline near them now.

Sato was somewhat familiar with wolves dur to his travels through the mountains with Fuhen but this one was a bit small and one could even see its ribs if they were to look close enough at the snarling beast. His react was a step slower than his friend's and he's slender but long fingers had almost dropped the bow shaped stick to grab for one of his machetes when Naoki spoke with a soft but confident voice causing for him to immediately stop. With a verbal word he would simply nod, putting trust into whatever his friend had thought up in that moment. After giving the older man a nod he would carefully turn in a slow and fluid motion as he ended up in the position Naoki had wanted for him to be in. As his friend blindly rummaged through the pack the young swordsman's eyes opened just slightly wider as he realized what the man must be after.

Once removed he turned back slowly around to see the hungry animal become neigh solely focused upon the dried lump of meat the two men had packed with them for daily rations on the trip. "Nice thinking. " Sato would compliment the elder swordsman for his quick and decisive response to the threat of the lone wolf. While at the same time moving with the man to the water's edge to fill his buckets before placing the curved stick carefully through either handle and lifting it across both shoulder. The thin and fragile looking young man didn't appear to have the slightest trouble with the water as this was actually a task his mother would ask him to do in order to bring water to cook with.

It actually brought up a few nice memories for the swordsman in training about the family of his that temained with Dragon country, it had been a hard decision to leave but his desire to help his country and tgose within it by becoming a swordsman that could rival a shinobi was a strong a resolute one that he would follow to the end. Hopefully nothing would seflect the young teenager from the righteous path that he wished to walk, company like Naoki would help to keep the path straight and true, as well.
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Water in tow along their shoulders, the three were able to make their way back through the forest without any further interruptions, though of course some more conversation related to the wolf situation would ensue. Once they returned to the dojo, they'd bring the buckets of water towards Fukurou's smithy. "Well well, that was quicker than anticipated. Luckily for me, I was also quicker than I thought I'd be." From behind them in the doorway of the smithy building, Rokurou's voice would reach their ears, and as they turned to face him they'd find that he no longer donned his Kimono. Instead, he was only clothed in a traditional martial arts gi.

"I trust there was no issues?" "Nothing these two couldn't handle, grandfather. A wolf did show up, as you thought it might, but they lead the creature away with some meat. No one was harmed, not even the wolf." Fukurou spoke up in response to her grandfather before turning to both of the samurai. "Thanks again, that was a huge help. Good luck to you both!" Fukurou would bid the boys farewell before turning her attention to the smithy, and Rokurou would motion for them to leave his granddaughter to her work. Once they had left Fukurou, Rokurou would begin to lead them towards the Dojo.

"I've prepared a sort of 'test' for you two. I emphasize the word test because there are no right or wrong answers. No, this will be more of a... learning experience for you both." Naoki's eyebrow quirked at the prospective test that Rokurou proposed, but would reserve his opinions until he saw what was laid before them. The two samurai would be lead into the dojo, which was kept remarkable dark despite a single candle lit in the center of the dojo. Next to this candle was a small ceremonial tea pot, made of beautiful porcelain with a wondrous artistic floral design flowing around the pot. Alongside this pot were two tea cups bearing similar designs, and next to that table was two mats, clearly meant for the two samurai to kneel on. "Please, choose a spot." Naoki would take one of the mats, kneeling down carefully while removing both his sword and his bokken and setting them on the floor next to him. His hands crossed in front of his lap as he stared at the candle. Sato would have to take the other mat, and once both had done so Rokurou would continue.

First, he would walk over to the table and grab hold of the tea pot, slowly and carefully pouring the contents of the pot into the two cups as he spoke. "This concoction has been passed through my family for generations. It is known as the Tea of enlightenment. Drink from the cup, and your mind will be opened to the path before you. You do not have to partake, of course. Many fear the truth. I leave the decision to you." Naoki looked to Rokurou as he spoke, clearly uneasy about all of this. There was no telling what he would learn from this liquid, if what Rokurou said was true. For all he knew, it could reveal to him some horrible truth about his future, or merely reinforce his grief and guilt. But after a few moments of thought, Naoki came to an uncharacteristic conclusion: He couldn't allow himself to fear the unknown.

With a slight gulp to chase down his apprehension, Naoki reached out and took one of the cups from the table. With a deep breath to prepare himself, Naoki put the cup to his lips and drank the entire cup down in a few large gulps. The bitter taste immediately earned a gag from the man, it was stronger than any sake he had ever partaken in. But after the gag he felt... Nothing. "Are you sure this works, Rokurou? I mean no disrespect of course but-" The old man raised a hand, silencing Naoki in an instant. "Give it time, young one."

Would Sato partake as well?
Active Characters

Zao

Post by Zao » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:52 am

Sato was a bit surprised to find that the old head master was waiting for them as his words earlier to the pair of swordsmen made it seem like it would be some time before he could continue with them. The young man's grey eyes took notice that the older man only bore a traditional marital arts Gi unlike before, did this mean he was ready to test or evaluate them? His mind began to ponder the possibilities as the man greeted the trio on their quick return now and soon the men would place their bucket of water carefully down with the smithy. With a bow of his head to Fukurou before departing in trace to the dojo behind the muscular older man.

The swordsman in training had his heart rate elevated slight by the prospect of this test mentioned by Rokurou, though as he would continue with his words it helped the teenager to calm down just a bit. Was there truly no right or wrong answers? A learning experience for them? He couldn't help but feel a little confused by the words spoken to the pair of travelers as they were led into the dojo for the first time since arriving at the mysterious yet magical place. But to Sato's surprise it was completely dsrk inside spare a single lit candle in the center which from the dim light it gave off he was able to make out the two prayer mats and the table upon which the candle sat.

As they drew closer he was also able to finally see the intricately decorated teapot with only two small teacups placed next to it with a similarly elegant design painted upon them as well. Following the lead of the elder swordsman he traceled with he took a seated position on Naoki's right side now and tyrned his gaze from his friend onto their host who began to speak after first pouring each man a cup of whatever rested within the teapot. 'A tea of enlightenment? I wonder what he means by that.' The spikey haired swordsman couldn't help but feel a bit unsure of the liquid within the cup that was still on the table in front of him as he listened to the dojo master speak of the tea in their cups. "Fear the truth?"

He questioned the idea of fearing the truth, what did that mean? The swordsman was still rather young and his experience in the world and with death was still very much so lacking that a ronin could consider him a baby in the world of samurai. Unsure of what to do he xould only turn to his traveling companion to see that although he had briefly hesitated that man in the end partook of the drink. Biting his thin lower lip lightly his grey eyes fell onto the cup once more and after another moment or two he would also bring the teacup to his mouth and slowly sip the contents of the cup. Unsure of what was to happen next but he knew that he shouldn't allow for fear to guide his life...
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:04 pm

As the two imbibed the strange elixir that Rokurou referred to as 'tea', nothing much would happen for the first few minutes. A strange feeling in the stomach, perhaps a lightheadedness and some slight dizziness, but nothing too intense. Naoki thought to once again voice concern, but he didn't want to come off as rude to this man who's family had been doing this for centuries. But then suddenly it hit him, like a horse kick to the head, and mere moments later it would hit Sato as well. The world around them would feel as though it were melting, and they were melting along with it! Naoki opened his mouth to scream, yet no sound would come out, and a moment later both of them would find themselves alone, enshrouded by darkness...

Naoki's trip into this new dimension of thought was, at first, terrifying. But slowly, as his anxiety calmed, the darkness surrounding him didn't seem all that bad. He would even be willing to call it 'peaceful', in the sense that there was nothing around him to cause him strife or anguish... and nothing around him that he could cause the same to.

"No please, don't!"

The sudden voice rang through the darkness, piercing the veil of silence in an instant. Naoki's left hand rose to the side of his head, but his right didn't move. Confused, he looked down to find that the cause was quite literally his worst nightmare... In his right hand was the very blade he kept bound to his side, but unbound and dripping with fresh blood. As he look down to the void below his feet, he saw the vision that haunted him every moment he closed his eyes; Three female bodies, one older woman and two children, with fresh wounds gushing with still warm fluid. Reflexively, Naoki stepped back in horror, his hand shooting to his mouth as he felt the urge to vomit arising. He released his sword with a loud clatter, dropping to his knees and curling up in shock and grief.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry! There was nothing I could do! If I didn't, I would've... we all would've... I'm sorry!" Tears flowed from his eyes like waterfalls, and before long sobs began to erupt from his throat. "I should've died... It should've been me! Why am I such a coward, so weak that I can't even do the honorable thing!? Maybe... That's my truth... That I should have done this a long time ago..." Naoki's sobs were broken up by words, and as he came to realize what he thought the tea was trying to enlighten him to, he looked back to his still bloody sword... with a trembling hand he reached out and took the hilt in hand, sat up straight on his knees, and positioned the tip of the blade against his abdomen.

Would he have the courage to finally do what he had been too cowardly to do before?
Meanwhile, Sato's journey into his newly awakened mind would be quite different; He was no longer enshrouded by darkness as he once had been. Instead, he sat around a small campfire, the smell of hastily prepared game fresh caught from the surrounding forest permeating his nostrils. There were two tents present, and a small rummaging coming from one of them. "Oi, whatchu be wantin' to drink o'er Sato? Thinken yer up fer tryin' a man's drink finally? RIBBIT" The voice, clearly Fuhen's, rang out from inside the tent, but the frog sound was a bit uncharacteristic, even for the Frog man. A few moments later, Fuhen would emerge from the tent... although it wasn't quite Fuhen. The body shape, the hair, the clothing, all of that was completely normal... but the froggy features were magnified 100 fold, to the point where he looked like an anthopomorphic frog.

Where Fuhen's normally average face once rested, now a frog's head complete with oddly shaped eyes and large bulbous cheeks now sat. His skin glistened in the eerie glow of the fire, clearly moisturized just as an amphibian's skin should be. His webbed digits were clearly of froggy make as well, and the obvious green tone to his skin only drove the point home; this man was 100% frog. "Oi, speak up! RIBBIT. Ye be wantin som' sake er whut?" The frog Fuhen's face literally bulged out like one would expect of a frog as it made the "ribbit" sound. Just what was in that weird tea the old man had them drink?
Active Characters

Zao

Post by Zao » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:02 pm

It took a few minutes for the spiked tea of the old man's brew to finally kick in before a strange and overpowering sensation of melting overtook the young man now. He tired to speak but nothing would response as he felt himself melting and sinking down into the darkness in a state of helplessness. After this he was never taking a free drink from a stranger again! Before long the man sudden felt the sensation of the cool night air upon his exposed skin now as both eyes snapped open. Taking a few moments to adjust to the darkness the welcoming wsrmth of a small fire with game roasting upon it witb a savory smell wafting up his nostrils.

For a moment he was unsure what had happened as he looking down to see his hands and body in perfect condition as they were lit by the flickering flames of the cooking fire. Had the journey with Naoki have been just a dream? The confusion stirred from his current scene which was the camp which appeared like number that the master and student had set up along their travels. Fuhen easily able to bring in food and Sato would then use his cooking skill to make an amazing meal out of just about anything one could find in the woods. Shaking his head while still trying to get his bearings a bit now the man heard the rummaging of whom could only be his sensei as it was the tent he always used during their travels.

"Fuhen-sama, foods done." Sato would call out tonthe frog featured man who was still doing something within the tent to let him know that it was ready as the former chef started to remove the meat from the heat and slice it with one of his own personal machetes. "You know I'm not much of a drinker, Sensei." His reply to his master was one filled with respect as he spoke in turn about being up for a drinking game or something of that nature. Even now he still had times where he wasn't quite sure what he was saying at times plus he'd never drank before seeing it as something that could be harmful to his body. Yet, this time their was something off about even his normal strange voice as it cause for the swordsman to stop what he was doing and look up now.

He was not prepared to see the man who normally had a few odd Frog like feature whom now looked like an actual frog whom was standing on to leg. Both his grey eyes widened now as both hands came up to rub his eyes, pergaps he was still groggy and had just miss seen what he just thought he had saw. Removing his hands the large frog man spoke again, a ribbit even slipped into the string of words that were spoken in a manner identical to that which Fuhen would have spoke now. With even thinking one hand with an extended index finger shot up towards the frog sressed like his master Nd the words began to fall from his thin lips. "Ma...master...what happened to...your body?!"

He'd completely forgotten about Naoki and the strange tea and could only stand up as he managed to get his words out taking a half step back. Unsure what the hell was going on here...
CharactersShow
Active

Old CharactersShow
Inactive/Dead

Return to “Other Countries”