In Dire Times

Closed; Kabu, Truth

Kabu

In Dire Times

Post by Kabu » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Border Skirmish Miyuki couldn't believe she had been so stupid. Some days prior she had been staying at an inn and had left her mother's pendant buried underneath a pile of her clothes while she had gone to take a bath and had near immediately gone to sleep afterwards, only to wake the next morning to find her room ransacked and her pendant missing.

I should really apologize to that innkeeper when I get a chance. It wasn't his fault. Hell, I shoulda known better when I found him tied up. she thought to herself with a sigh, remembering how angrily she had gone off on the poor innkeeper before storming out in a huff to begin the task of tracking down the thief.

It had been several days since then and while she had calmed down significantly she was still a bit upset that she hadn't even found a trace of her pendant or the thief in all the towns she had come across. She was however confident that if someone had seen it they would know for sure what she was referring to, there not being too many others like it.

With another sigh she looked up, noticing that she had come across another town. And it was a border town by the looks of it, a realization that greatly excited the young woman, improving her spirits immensely. The odds that someone here had seen or at least heard of her pendant were very high... but first things first, she really needed a drink and so she set off for the local tavern, both for the drink she so desperately craved after these last few days and to begin gathering information on the whereabouts of the thief who had taken off with her mother's memento.

That thief can't hide from me any longer. They better watch out.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Nakano Kiyomi - #8E47AD], Nakano Ayaka - #0C1C8C
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Karagata yamada - #CE1126, Makura Ayame - #7251BC
Kabu's Test Thread

ShinobiTruth

In Dire Times

Post by ShinobiTruth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:47 pm

For the first time arguably ever, Hijikata had gathered up enough additional funds for himself to take a small break from his work. That wasn't to say that he didn't immensely enjoy his work, but the time away from worrying about traveling to the next dojo would give him time to focus on his inner self, to reflect on his accomplishments and mistakes, and hopefully take the time to refine himself to be even better than he was before. Though these refinements often came through hard work, so too could they be found through peaceful reflection. It was for this purpose that he came to this border town. Aside from their excellent restaurants, this village was known for its onsen, and though there was a criminal underbelly here as in many other towns, so long as one minded one's own business, they would likely suffer no harm.

For now, the samurai sat in a back corner of the tavern, simply drinking tea and keeping to himself as he watched the passersby. It was an exercise in observation for him. Some were at the tavern (most of them, actually) to simply have a good time. Some, those who drank modestly, were here for business purposes. They would enjoy their drinks, but they would do so in a controlled manner so as to retain their mental faculties. Then, there were those that drank very little. They talked quietly amongst themselves, and it was not uncommon for them to check over their shoulders every so often. Hijikata had picked up on these almost immediately.

Those were likely criminals.

He kept a close eye on them. The vast majority of those that had visited the tavern were of the first two classes of people. Of the third, the least desired, there had only been three. They'd sat at a table not too far from Hiji's small booth in the corner. He'd kept an eye on them using only his peripherals, so they likely hadn't suspected anything, but aside from how brief their meeting was, there was one other thing he'd noticed: the flash of gold. Whoever they were, they were likely thieves and bandits. And whatever they had stolen was likely of no small value. Memorizing their faces, he would wait until the left the tavern before rising up and calmly walking to the tavern door. He saw the three on horseback, riding toward the west of the village. There were large rocks and crags in that direction, filled with caves. Likely, they were heading to a bandit camp.

Hijikata went back to his table and sat down. To attack them now would be suicide. He would wait for the cover of night.

About an hour after the bandits came in, he'd see a young samurai such as himself, a katana and wakizashi hanging from the hip. At first glance, he thought the samurai a man, but as she drew closer to his table, he saw the smoothness of her face and the delicate appearance of her eyes and realized the samurai was actually a woman. The fact she was so difficult to identify could have possibly been intentional, so he did not pry. Instead, he would wait until she decided to come to him, if even at all.

Kabu

In Dire Times

Post by Kabu » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:36 pm

After traveling through the town's bustling market district, Miyuki soon came across the tavern that had been her final destination, though to her disappointment she bar was full up and the tavern master was occupied so she couldn't talk to him for information. No matter, she would just have to find a table and bide her time, maybe show some cleavage and seduce some poor schmuck into paying for her drinks, the latter being a thought that she chased away just as quickly as it came. No, she had no qualms about doing so if absolutely necessary but right now there was absolutely no need for such a thing.

With that thought clear from her mind she scanned the room a moment, looking for an open table or one occupied by an interesting looking conversation partner, and that was when she saw him, a samurai much like herself. Now that was certainly interesting. If he was a samurai he was likely a traveler and if he was a traveler he likely had some amount of information on local ruffians. That aside she didn't particularly feel right interrupting the party goers or those present on business as they were simply trying to enjoy themselves.

All said, having no other real leads to go off for the moment she made her way over to the man's table, calling a waitress over as she took a seat across from him, taking a moment to order her drink before speaking to her new companion.

"Tiera Miyuki." she said, simply introducing herself to start with, remembering all the lessons her mother had taught her about politely interacting with others, one of her key rules having been that the one to initiate a conversation should be the one to first introduce themselves. That was the first step in making new friends she had said, and as far as Miyuki was concerned, her mother had always known best.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

ShinobiTruth

In Dire Times

Post by ShinobiTruth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:19 pm

Hiji had been enjoying his sake over a comfortable period of time. He was by no means inebriated. Hiji was not the kind of person to take to drinking to the point of drunkenness. There were too many dangers in losing full control of one's faculties in a life largely spent on the road. If anything, he was simply comfortable and relaxed, his eyes still sharp as ever as they continued to rove the patrons of the bar. He'd seen a few looks over here, mostly wondering what he was doing there, but as he was harmless, they ultimately paid him no mind. This place was a common location for travelers anyways. Many of these people, including the ones looking at him, would likely be gone by tomorrow morning. They were not the ones that caught his eye.

No, the one that caught his eye was that young samurai he'd been watching from the corner of his eye as soon as he'd entered. Much like him, she was looking for something. Such was clear by her the look in her eyes and her body language. In short order, her eyes locked onto him, and before she even realized it, Hiji knew that this young woman was coming to speak with him. Other travelers were often a vital font of information, just as much as the barkeep who would serve them. Considering how full this place was, Hiji was definitely a much better option than him.

Hijikata nodded, his form straight and poised as the samurai approached him. "Toshizou Hijikata, young lady. You may call me Hiji, if you prefer," the samurai acknowledged, bowing lightly in respect to his visitor. "You have a sense of urgency that rests behind your eyes. Speak, Miyuki-dono. What do you seek from me?"

Hiji figured that it would be best to skip straight ahead to the point. As he'd stated, there was something about this young lady that suggested she had an agenda that was particularly time-sensitive.

Kabu

In Dire Times

Post by Kabu » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 pm

"Good, Hiji it is. Hijikata is not something I think I could remember." Miyuki replied in response to Hijikata's introduction, appreciating how welcoming he was towards a nickname as she really did have trouble with memorizing names and with her forgetfulness, she often granted nicknames to the people she acquainted herself with, whether it was welcome or not. She also appreciated how willing he was to get straight to the point, being able to crack a smile even despite her current circumstances.

"well I'm easily read aren't I? Mama always did say I had eyes that couldn't lie but until now I never quite knew what she had meant." she said with a bit of a chuckle, taking a short pause to organize her thoughts before continuing. There was no harm in telling him now instead of later. "Long story short, several days ago something very important to me was stolen, an ornate pendant that's been said to be very valuable." she frowned as she sipped at her now delivered drink, setting it to the side before continuing. "But I don't care about the wealth it could bring me or anyone else. It's the only memento I have of my mother and I just can't move on without it. So far I've had no luck in tracking down the thieves but the trail I followed eventually led me here, and so I came into this tavern with the dual purpose of relieving my stress with a drink and looking for whatever information I may be able to come across." she finished, grabbing her drink glass once she was done speaking, though she didn't actually return to her drink itself, instead simply staring down into the glass.

"I need to find it so badly... Mama told me it was very important and to keep it safe always, but I've failed her"
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

ShinobiTruth

In Dire Times

Post by ShinobiTruth » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 am

Hiji listened carefully to Miyuki’s story. The circumstances lined up almost too perfectly. If he hadn’t come to this town, he never would have seen the bandits talking amongst themselves, and his eyes never would have caught that flash of gold. If he’d not seen that, when Miyuki would have come, he would have simply been another dead end. But he had been here. He had seen it. And he now had the opportunity to help her get something very precious to her back. He was certain he was here for a reason.

”I may know where this pendant of yours is... but if you wish to have it returned to you, you must listen to everything I say until it is retrieved, without question. That is my price. Do you understand, Tiera Miyuki? Until the goal is complete, my words shall carry as much weight as a lord’s.”

This was, by no means, extortion. Most men would seek to do vile things with such a power. It was unfortunate, but many men were unscrupulous, and Miyuki was blessed in appearance. No, Hiji’s purpose was to keep her alive, to test her humility, and to test her resolve. If he simply gave her the information she wanted, she may run headlong into a battle that would quickly unwind against her. Hiji himself was waiting until night to attack the camp because he would have the element of surprise and the shadows to mask his movements. To attack now would be suicide for any average swordsman.

Kabu

In Dire Times

Post by Kabu » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Miyuki so badly wanted to argue, to scream that she couldn't wait, that he was holding her back while the thieves were possibly even getting ready to move to a different hideout, but she didn't. She knew better than to think she stood a chance if she were to attack in the middle of the day. Still though, she wasn't in a position to be agreeing with his demands, no matter how much she wanted her pendant back. If she had to she would just get her information elsewhere. She was sure that someone else here had to have seen the thieves.

"I'm very sorry but no matter how desperate I am and no matter how pure your intentions may be, I can't agree with these demands. It would be foolish to be listening to everything I'm told by someone I've just met and don't really know at all, especially being a woman." she said, shaking her head. "If you're worried, I know better than to be rushing into battle unprepared, especially in the middle of the day like this. If I know anything about bandits it's that they're strongest in a group and that they don't fight fair."

She took a moment to sip on her drink before letting out a sigh. "Look, if you don't want to tell me unless I agree to your demands that's fine. You don't even have to tell me. You can just point me in the general direction or even just take me there yourself when you feel ready." she knew that she was taking a risk with that last part but she could somehow tell that Hijikata wouldn't lead her into a trap or anything of that nature, that he was the truly honorable sort.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

ShinobiTruth

In Dire Times

Post by ShinobiTruth » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Hijikata smiles at her answer. She had her pride, but he was glad to know that she’d already considered the risks of blindly running into battle, even if it was for something truly precious to her. His main concern abated, he waved his hands in surrender, signaling a desire for peace. ”There’s no need for such a thing, Miyuki-san. The demand was merely a test of your resolve and reasonableness. More than that, however, as you are aware, to attack alone would be tantamount to suicide. Wait here with me until night time. I saw three bandits discussing something, and I also spied a flash of precious metal in one of their hands. They’re not likely to have secured a buyer for such a thing in a short period of time. I will join you, so that your chances of success are greater.”

Nodding in approval as he took another sip of his sake, Hiji commended the young woman. ”Your desire to honor your legacy is also admirable. It is a rare sight in a world overrun by selfishness and self-importance,” he complimented, hoping to show in earnest his demand from before was merely a test.

Kabu

In Dire Times

Post by Kabu » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:52 am

"Well, I don't think it's anything so noble as that. It's less about the legacy and more... well, that pendant was mum's greatest treasure and now it's all I really have left to remember her by. Even with her passing I love my mum dearly and that pendant is filled with very precious memories, that's all." she responded to Hiji's compliment, smiling almost sadly. Whatever it seemed like to others, to her it truly was just about preserving the memories she had shared with her mom and to some degree even the mercenaries they had traveled with for so many years.

She fell into moment, sipping at her own sake as she looked over the man in front of her. "That aside, you seem like an honorable sort. I feel I can believe that you truly meant no harm and I would greatly appreciate your help if you're truly willing to give it. I would be foolish to refuse... and it also feels good to get to spend some deal of time with another person after having been alone for so long." she suddenly spoke up after several moments of contemplative silence.

"Waiting until night time will take a great deal of time though. How do you recommend we pass the day by until evening begins to strike and we can set out?"
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

ShinobiTruth

In Dire Times

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:21 am

”That solitude is the price of the relative freedom we enjoy as travelers. Sometimes, it is a blessing... but yes, I would agree that even such a blessing can be taxing,” he confirmed as he took another sip of his sake. ”Humans are social creatures, after all. Without friends or family, we become cold, unnatural creatures.”

Hijikata ruminated on the question Miyuki presented to him next. It was a good question, yes. He definitely knew that they’d need to tend to their weapons and make sure they were sufficiently fed. But there was one more thing they needed to tend to. ”Well, aside from making sure we are fed and our weapons are properly tended to... silly as this sounds, we should bathe in the onsen here.”

Miyuki might flush a bit red at the boldness of the statement, but Hijikata would explain further. ”Food will prepare the mind, and caring for our swords will prepare the spirit, but bathing and relaxing will prepare the body. Going into battle with stiff muscles will spell a quick death. Better that you be relaxed before the physical demands our body will face.”

If Miyuki tried to look for alterior motives or deception behind his eyes, she would find none. Strange as his suggestion might be, he was absolutely serious in making it.

Kabu

In Dire Times

Post by Kabu » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Rather than blushing hard as some might, though a light red tinge did cross her cheeks nonetheless, Miyuki simply stared hard at Hijikata a moment as he made his suggestion, looking into his eyes and watching his bodily movements to ascertain any ulterior motives behind him speaking of a bath . Honorable or not she had always been told to be wary of a man hoping to see her in a more vulnerable state. And yet she could find nothing, his intentions once again seeming pure and noble. Well... if he had no ulterior motives, she wasn't going to be one to turn down a spring. That said... it had been some time since she had so much as shared a bath with another, a man at that, and while she wasn't losing her mind over it as some might, it was definitely a bit embarrassing

"I can't deny the wisdom in your words. They remind me of something I had once been told by my mentor." she spoke up after a moment of silence, a smirk crossing her face as a sudden thought came to mind.

"But say, are you truly fine with sharing a bath with a woman though?" she said as she leaned in towards him, legs crossed as she undid a portion of her kimono, revealing a bit of cleavage. "Hmm?"

She had to wonder... how would he react to such a thing
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

ShinobiTruth

In Dire Times

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:45 pm

For all of his wisdom, Hiji was a bit clueless socially. He’d not considered the implications of two young people full of vital energy sharing a bath together, even if it was a hot spring or onsen. He’d really only been so conscious of it around Suzume due to his natural attraction to Suzume’s personality. This wasn’t to say her physical form wasn’t pleasing (it most certainly was), but Hiji’s attraction to the organization’s leader has been entirely due to personality. Besides, he hadn’t considered the possibility that he and Miyuki might have to share an onsen, what with how crowded the village was with its many travelers...

...That was, at least, until Miyuki’s test came. Confused at first and then his own cheeks flushing red as she flaunted her blessed cleavage to him, practically taunting him with her inquiry, he quickly averted his gaze, his natural bashfulness in regards to more intimate matters now in full display. It was clear that Hiji had no intention of exploiting anything. Strangely enough, in fact, it seemed that Miyuki would likely have more power in such a situation than Hiji would purely by his disposition. ”I-I swear upon my honor, I would never do anything inappropriate or unwelcome to a woman, especially not like that,” he vowed, stammering just slightly as he started quickly reclaiming his composure.

He would look back at Miyuki, but he would make certain to meet her eyes, avoiding her cleavage entirely. Once again, she’d see naught but pure honesty in his expression.

Kabu

In Dire Times

Post by Kabu » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:30 am

Miyuki couldn't help but giggle as she backed away and leaned back in her chair, an amused smirk on her face. She would never have once thought Hiji capable of such bashfulness. "Oh come now silly, I'm just teasing. I know you wouldn't try anything, especially not in such a public place. I wasn't joking about having to share a bath though. In a tourist town like this, it's an inevitable fact." she said with clear amusement in her tone, despite his bashfulness mixed with his attempt to defend his virtue having made her feel just a little bad about her teasing.

"But bathtime isn't until later in the day and if we do weapon maintenance now, it'll just be wasted. What do you say we eat and talk for the time being? Take some time to get to know each other. I'll even pay as an apology." she added, smiling as she spoke, complete honesty in her words. She did want to make up for her teases, and she did want to actually get to know the man she would be working with to get her treasure back.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

ShinobiTruth

In Dire Times

Post by ShinobiTruth » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:33 pm

Hijikata nodded, managing to restore his composure, though his cheeks still had a slightly reddish hue as he nodded. "You speak wisely, Miyuki-san. That seems like a good place to start. We're already in a good place to tend to that need," he agreed, noting the fact they were already in the pub, a place of food and drink. "And considering that most of the travelers are in this pub, their noise will grant us a level of privacy as well."

Waving down one of the staff, Hiji made an order of dumplings and pan-roasted pork belly. Though it was the same thing that he got in every village he went to that had a restaurant, Hiji was guaranteed to get a different dish each time. No two people prepared such simple fare the same way, each one wanting to put their own spin on the dishes to show their originality. It was very similar to the path of the sword. Though each style used the same weapon, the styles were never the same simply because of that. The same warrior, likewise, could use the same weapon in a different way if they so chose.

Having placed his order, Hiji did his best to purge thoughts of Miyuki's physical beauty out of his mind, instead focusing on her words. Her face, despite her seasoned stature as a warrior, had a startling gentleness to its features. He was certain that she had to deal with many a lecher on her travels, likely having to guard against the improprieties of perverse men and women alike. Her test to test his intentions and reaction to his proposition for a bath alone gave testament to that fact. He would most certainly not be one of those men. There was a difference between the appreciation of beauty and the coveting of it, and Hiji knew that difference well. "So what inspired you to take up the sword, Miyuki-san? Forgive me for saying, but yours is a beauty that would challenge even a noble's, in both body and mind. Most would choose to lead the 'safer' life, surrounded with material security. What story led you to this path?"

Return to “Other Countries”