Das Kirb
User flair: .001%

Heart of the Swarm

Post by Das Kirb » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:55 pm

"Ahh, seems the snake has sent shipment back after all. Lad kept his word."

"With what I have on him, his word will be kept lest he's given up hope."

"What in the bloody hells did you do to 'im?"

"Just made a point, sweety. Come on, we gotta check the load."

Ano strolled up to several covered wagons filled enough to cause the reinforced wheels to single into the road ever so slightly. She carried with her a scroll and pen, checking off the various supplies as she came across them. With each check several stout individuals began unloading the checked pieces and gathering them on separate wagons destined for their specialized areas. Hide chipped in as well, hoisting several loads of timber for each the help did. Beasts of burden hauled away full wagons as fresh ones were brought up. Upon one such convoy came a pair of women, one a monolith and the other more demure.

"Ahh, the girls are 'ere. Lend a hand with this blasted cargo and we can be off."

"Was the plan."

With Katsu carrying barrels of drink and pallets of food all by her lonesome the work went by faster and the wagons all were off to other destinations before the noon sun had crested. A final cart had rolled up though, accompanied by a leather clad woman who's face was hidden from view. She handed off a note to a confused Ano. Upon reading her face turned to a grin and looked back at the small load it carried.

"Our snake says he has a gift for us, free of charge. Says the small box is for the moving boulder, the barrel is for the fair lady, the pallet of furs is for the mother of monsters, and the this. . ." she reached down and gently picked up an ornately carved box covered in dirt and labled "fragile". "Is for said monster." Hide opened his box to find a small carved stone pipe and a pouch of fresh tobacco, a gift he couldn't help but grin at. Arsa looked inside her barrel and found a number of glittering stones each as large as her fist or bigger. Sitting gingerly wrapped atop was a bottle of what appeared to be a red liquid. A quick sniffed revealed it was sweet, and Arsa giggled. Ano, a disbelieving smirk on her own face inspected each fur and found them to be of excellent quality. They were treated and ready to be worked already. Even her smirk turned to a grin of excitement as ideas came to mind.

Katsu took her box with a look of confusion. Their face man hadn't seemed keen on her or spending any time in her company. The fact suited her just fine, guy was a bastard and stunk of too much product. But this intrigued her if put her a bit on edge. Opening the box revealed a level platform concealing what was beneath, upon it rest a note. "From a man of principle to a lady the same, a gift befitting a beast who will forever haunt my nightmares. May this add fuel to the fire. Fair warning, once they catch yer scent you'll never be rid of them but I'm told they make fantastic pets." Staring at the letter in confusion for a moment Katsu finally set it aside and lifted the false bottom.

Within was a number of many legged creatures resembling centipedes. The striking pink color was first to grab her intrigue as they writhed in the dirt and moss. A faint odor of almonds caught her a moment later which further caused her to stick a finger into the dirt to fish one out. The hard spikes and sharp legs poked against her skin as it seemed to wrap around the extended digit. After a moment all Katsu could muster was a question.

"What the fuck are these things?"

The question caught everyone's attention as they turned and witnessed the brilliantly colored bug now crawling on her hand. Confusion and interest caught them all as they set aside their respective gifts and approached.

"They're beautiful! The serpent has bestowed such a treat for the eyes. Did he perhaps send a card to explain such a wonder?"

"Knowing that man, probably. Check the box."

Hide claimed the box from Katsu who continued to inspect the creature that now crawled up her arm. He was careful not to let any of them do the same to him, paranoid as he was. On the underside of the false bottom was indeed a card though, complete with a photo of the creature and some information.

"Aye, here it is. Says they're called the striking pink dragon. Type of centipede apparently. I'd wager that means they can give a nasty bite and have a good venom so careful lass. Also says they like cool wet places to burrow and the like. Seems like a joke to me in his twisted way."

"Hasn't bitten me yet. Here, let me grab some more of them and see what we're dealing with here."

In her outstretched hand Hide turned the box over and about a dozen of the bugs tumbled through the dirt into her palm. The wiggled and poked causing the large woman to slightly chuckle at the tickle. After about a minute though her arms and hands had begun to get red. Where the first had touched she had begun to feel a rather annoying itch which caused her to shake them all to the wooden cart they had been standing near.

"Fuckers didn't bite me but yeah, they're covered in something. Look."

She held her hands out for all to inspect. Upon seeing the rash Arsa immediately began to rummage through her pouches and produced a small jar filled with a white paste. Without prompt she began rubbing it into her lover's reddened skin. Ano took a closer look at the bugs who all seemed to be gathering around each other, and now seemed to me moving back toward's Katsu. She noticed the smell fairly quickly and figured she knew what it was. However, upon closer inspection she verified it. The translucent, almost invisible, blue sheen across each of them gave it awake.

"They're poisonous. I can't remember what it's called. You'll be alright since you got them off you but watch your lips and breathing. It suffocates you by getting into your blood through the skin. Old friend used to make the shit from almonds. Surprised to see a bug make it naturally though."

Katsu, her rash now covered in a soothing balm, once more inspected the bugs. A familiar pride and bull headedness began to creep in as she once more began to poke at them.

"Might as well start on this now. Should be able to get fucking immune to these damn things through exposure."

To this the other three simply stared at her, each one had either a look of bemusement or exasperation. Ano simply shook her head and facepalmed.

"Why have the gods given me a daughter such as you? I love you, but you're a fucking dumbass sometimes."

To this Hide began to crack up laughing hard enough he had to clutch his gut and brace on the cart. The help stared at him for a moment before he waved them off back to work.

"Wasn't so long ago I was havin to try and wrangle that in now was it!? Like mother like daughter!"

"Hide I will slap you hard enough to knock that beard right off your face! I would never willingly stick my hand into a mess of poisonous fucking centipedes!"

"Maybe not, but ye did get a fucking Yamanaka as yer blasted slave. I can only guess yer head was too hard fer him to get through."

At this Ano's face grew red but Hide, and now Arsa, had begun to laugh so hard they physically couldn't stand and began desperately trying to breath. Katsu had tuned them out entirely and was now experimenting with her new pets.

Several hours later Hide and Ano had moved on to making sure the supplies was put to their intended purposes. With the building of a nation being such intense work they had enlisted the aid of the dragon. Arsa had moved on to continue work on her grand network of seals around the town proper. The fruits of her efforts were already showing themselves as within the walls the great dragon was able to roam without cost.

Meanwhile Katsu was sitting in a small clearing just outside the demolished wall of the city. Her legs and arms were covered in rashes and beside her sat several small jars and vials of paste given to her by Arsa. She was nearly covered in the stuff head to toe and just as much was now red and bleeding. On her other side was a small pile of meat and another of mosses and leaves. As wounds would open she'd take a bite of the meat and cover it in moss, which the bugs all fed on ravenously.

After about four hours of messing around with these things she had actually started to grow a bit more fond of them, recognizing small differences in each of their spikes. Some were longer than others and some were a bit more dull in color. However, they all seemed to gather around the moss when she made it available, and they seemed to always wanna stay on her somewhere, never once leaving her body for the ground. It was just as well, if she was going to grow an immunity to these little bastards she'd need to stay in contact with them. The process was slow and painful, but the shard's gifts was making it bearable and it would go much faster for her than any other.

"May I sit with you?"

Katsu looked up to see a man whom had come into their little family shortly after the fighting had settled. Hide had vouched for him, claiming the man was someone from his old mercenary days. Her introduction to him hadn't been on the best of terms, seeing as she was covered in blood and gorging on the bodies of the fallen to desperately try and slake her hunger at the time. Even still she found him surprisingly relaxing and her usual walls were weakened around him, if just barely. Didn't hurt that he seemed to swoon over Korialstraz' very existence. Something she was sure stroked that narcissistic dragon's ego just right.

"Yeah, yer fine. Just trying to work with these little fuckers and can't figure it out."

With consent the man lay down his weapon and sat across from her, looking upon the bugs and getting a quizzicle face. He pulled from a pouch a small notebook and quill with ink. Turning to a blank page near the back he began to sketch the scene before him.

"An interesting creature to say the least. You seem be wounded by their touch. Poison or bite?"

"Damn things are poisonous. Arsa gave me some meds to ease the irritation and it helped a lot but I ran out. There's a lot of me to cover with so little feel good juice. Sucks too cause one of the bastards got up between my shoulders on my back. Trying like hell not to itch it cause I don't know if it's still back there."

Varu had stopped drawing for a moment to notate what she had said below it. Once done with that he leaned over and looked at her back, noting nothing was there.

"It seems to be gone. You can relieve your itch at ease. Though. . . I would ask. Why are you subjecting yourself to these things if you know they're poisonous? Seems contrary to everything Hidestuga would teach."

Katsu vigorously rubbed her back on the remains of the stone wall behind her, audibly sighing in relief.

"First thing, he teaches a lot of things. He says people should wear armor into a fight but that shit only gets in my way. He also asked for a grandkid and was upset when I gave him Kori. So I'll always take what he says with a grain salt. . . Granted he is right more than he's wrong but still. And second, cause these damn things are kinda cool. And I wanna build an immunity. You'd think I'd already be immune to it but fuck now. Just can't die from it, probably."

"You speak of him as any child would their parent. Forgive me for overstepping." A slight smile came across his lips before he began drawing again. "I saw you in battle and know you are not like he or I so maybe his lessons don't hold true for one such as you. Never the less you should heed them at times, even if they don't apply to you than have others."

At this Katsu looked up at him, almost forgetting about the creatures upon her and the havoc they wrought. "Like I don't? Fucker has literally beat some of them into me." At this she pointed out the scar running across her chest. "Not saying I didn't deserve it but not like I could ignore being taught that particular lesson. That fucking hammer damn near caved my chest in."

"What could you have done to deserve such a punishment?"

"Wasn't a punishment so much as a challenge. I don't even remember what I wanted at the time but him saying no just pissed me the hell off. I told him he couldn't stop me from something or other and in response he grabbed that damned hammer of his and said to prove it. Wasn't even a few minutes later I was bouncing off him like a rubber ball against a wall. A wall that hit back."

"I see. He has always been a bit. . . old fashion. If I can share. . ?" Katsu nodded as her attention returned to the bugs, picking one off her stomach and returning it to her legs with the rest. "Always pleasing to have a willing audience for an old merc's stories. As I was saying, there was a time we were in pebble country on guard detail. T'was a young recruit that had challenged his leadership. Your dad had placed him near the rear, acting as a messenger between camp and the outgoing patrols. Seeking glory, he wished to be at the head of the group to be first to engage any threat. Hide simply looked at him and asked if he was to challenge the rule of the company. The kid said yes and was issued a single command, to wound your dad. The young mad had energy and zeal on his side, but your dad had patience and experience. The fight lasted five minutes of the challenger failing to land a scratch upon the bear. Each attempt was punished by a single blow, knocking him to the ground. After the kid surrendered your dad picked him back up and told of his mistake before telling him to return to his post."

Katsu actually laughed at the story, causing the bugs to fall from her lap before they crawled back on. The behavior was noted by Varu in his book. After she caught her breath she retained a smile.

"Well, least now I know beating the shit out of unruly kids is an old habit of his. Kinda wonder how many others are out there that have scars from this exact same thing. My guess would be quite a few since apparently his old merc crew was so large."

Varu smiled too. "Likely not as many as you'd think. Bull headed youth may be common but not many I knew wanted to stand at the other side of a mountain of man such as him. Most were quelled by his bark, many more by him earning their respect. Did he not do so for you?"

"Heh, lets just say I'm a bit of a wild child. When you become host to a living god you tend to get an ego. Wasn't until he was gone I began to realize just how fucking wrong I was. Just glad he spared my life one last time before those fuckers made off with him. That'll be fixed though." At this point Katsu had lost her smile and began to forcibly distract herself with the bugs once more, seeing if she could coax them to different parts of her leg that weren't so cracked, itchy, and bleeding. "As for respect. . . yeah. The man is my dad and raised me along with my mother. More than once he's kicked my ass, deserving it each time. But he's also been there any time we needed him. Still remember coming back to him after Naoko gave me another scar" this time she pointed out the silvery line that lead up from her womanhood, one that made Varu both blush and wince. "He just got up, picked me up, and carried me to the med unit. Didn't laugh or ask questions, just made sure I wasn't going to bleed out. To be fair I was bawling and growling and just over all a mess. Not easy to make me cry from pain like that but shit did that fucking hurt."

Varu winced even more and visibly crossed his legs a bit tighter, trying to keep drawing as a distraction. He was quiet for a moment before morbid curiosity got the better of him.

"If I may ask without overstepping, how did that particular wound happen?"

"Naoko, a teacher at the time, was sparing with me. I went to kick her in the head and she caught me with the back of her blade. Knocked me about three feet into the air and backwards. I don't remember much after that besides being home and Hide carrying me to the med unit. Was later told I started screaming and crying like a baby and she carried me there."

"Any, man woman or otherwise, who could sustain a wound like that and not revert to their infancy simply doesn't feel pain. I'd be lucky to survive such a blow now as a grown man. I assume you were far younger and less experienced with pain."

"I've ripped my own stomach open from groin to chest and that still comes forward as the worst pain I've ever been in."

They both grew silent for a time as they once again returned their attention to the bugs. Vary completed his sketch and was now notating behavior and specific traits. Katsu continued to poke them to specific areas, occasionally eating and feeding them.

"I've witnessed your metamorphic abilities and believe I understand their effect. Have you tried manipulating your body on a more fine level? Perhaps pushing the toxin away at the surface level?"

Katsu thought for a second before concentrating. However, she came back from the task a failure.

"I'm not sure how. The shard allows me to move my body at will but I don't know how I'd stop my skin from absorbing the poison. Shit just kinda seeps through. I know if I just sit here and work with them eventually I'll build a tolerance naturally and can keep healing from whatever they do to me, but a faster way would be nice."

"Perhaps one of the people who call this home can help. I'm sure they'll have some knowledge of poisons having lived here their whole lives. I'll come with you as I'm wondering as well.

"That's actually a pretty good idea. Let's see what we can find."

The two put away their respective trinkets. Katsu downed the rest of the meat and gathered the bugs, returning them to their box with the rest of the moss before gathering up the jars and vials. Together the two headed off to find a native doctor.

The sun had traveled across the sky, now sitting low in the west to give only a few hours of daylight left. Varu and Katsu had moved through the streets and witnessed laborers hard at work rebuilding the damaged buildings and infrastructure from the conquest prior. Some grumbled about their plight of being forced into work, but their pudgy bodies proved them to be of the nobility that had elected to remain rather than being ousted. Varu would remark in sympathy with them, only to get a grunt from Katsu and be the end of the conversation before it began. After thirty minutes of wandering and seeing no indication of a medical pavilion Varu suggested finding Hide and Ano for they were working with locals to determine the new lay out of the cities quarters.

It wasn't hard to find them as Hide was hard at work raising a literal wall to replace one that had to be knocked out. His bulk supported the most of the structure as more people stepped in to secure the frame to the rest of the building. A stack of building materials lay nearby with fresh construction all around. Not far away the looming figure of Korialstraz cast a shadow upon them all, acting as shade and basking in the sun while gently glowing a deep brown. Soft tremors told of the foundations of stone being made far more solid beneath their feet.

"Need a hand there, Bear?"

"Iffen ye would, lass. The dragon is busy with the land and yer wife hasn't finished her ritual. Varu, iffen ye could help them get the nails in too."

Katsu jogged over and planted her feet beside the titanic man, bracing the wall with her own strength. Once she was in place Hide took a break from heavy lifting and grabbed a hammer, joining Varu in nailing everything in place. With the combined effort it didn't take long and Hide dismissed the people from work for the day as they'd been active since before sunrise and many still had home chores to do.

"So what's this building going to be? It looks like the ones back in Kiri used for storage."

"Aye lass. They used this as a warehouse for their military weapons and stock. That'd all probably be best underground so figuring we can use this fer building supplies ta keep it out of the weather. We may be making the shells of stone but still need hammer and nail to get things in place first. "

"Whatever you say, dad. Still probably better to leave as much of the place open as possible. Gets choked up and clustered otherwise."

"Trust us, lass. Ye'll have yer open homes everywhere else. But fer these people they deserve a well fortified city. Dense stone and simple patterns to make things easy to navigate and fortify. We'll add bridges that connect higher up to relieve some of the claustrophobic nature on the ground level."

"And how's he going to get around? katsu stabbed her thumb towards Korialstraz.

"The lizard can fly. If needed he can dig. Otherwise, best he stay out of the city proper."

"Forgive me for interrupting a family debate but we had a purpose. We were seeking the medical plaza if it was spared in the fighting, or its replacement if not."

Hide looked at Varu with warmth. "Nonsense! Yer like 'er uncle and me brother. Ye speak freely. We're not in the company anymore. As fer that, I think that large building over yonder was the hospital. It lost power in the fight but thankfully no one was truly put out. The staff took an oath to help the people an their upholding it. Ano was in there trying to talk to them and watch, seeing how they do things 'ere."

Varu seemed to puff his chest out slightly in a show of pleased pride before catching himself. "Thank you, Hide. Shall we be off dear niece?"

Katsu gave them both a look of disdain as her eyes narrowed. However, knowing they were teasing more than anything else she simply nodded and brushed it off. Truth told she had already been more open with this man than she had any of the other locals so he could get away with it, just once.

"Yes, uncle Varu."

Hide and Varu grinned as she scowled before brushing it off and returning to the task at hand. They traveled through the streets and watched the people scurry about. A great amount of unrest still brewed as they seemed to be trying to settle in. One woman, wearing rather extravagant clothing that was torn and dirty now, regarded them with fear as they approached. It was enough to cause the pair to pause. Varu dug around in his pack and produced a small piece of bread and some water. He approached with it held forward, taking her hand and placing it within.

"Forgive our scaring you, friend. Take this food and drink and be filled for the night."

The woman, eyes resting on Katsu, gulped down some words as terror rendered her mute. A few others now gathered around to witness whatever might happen next, each attempting to hide the fact they were.

"The battle is over and we should foster peace. Why are you scared of this woman? Did you see her in the battle?"

At this she looked over to Varu and simply nodded. After a second she swallowed again and finally found her voice.

"Shes. . . . That THING. . . She's a monster. She ate all of those mercenaries. And the dragon. . . . You're all monsters! Nothing but merchants of death and chaos! Those men fought to protect us and you butchered them, and ate the remains. Not even a proper burial. Just burned in a pit of lava or to be eaten by that. . . thing. "

Some gathered murmurs echoed her sentiment. None beside her, put on point, dared speak in more than a whisper. However, even those were silent as Katsu stepped forward now, arms crossed.

"Aye, I'll wear that title with pride too. Fact of the mater is those fuckers tasted good and I'd do it again."

Varu cut her off with a quick hand in the air, looking at her with quiet understanding but one that she knew to mean stop. Her dad had used it many times before and it usually meant he wanted to try and fix something with words.

"In war monsters are required to do the dark work of death. All who draw their weapon can be considered such, ma'am. Each has their methods of dealing death and destruction. Some specialize in the art and become true masters of it, such as this one has. But I assure you she is more than a thing and much more than just a monster. She is akin to nature itself. Does the wolf not devour the rabbit?"

The woman locked eyes with Katsu and primal fear began to race up her spine. She took a step back as Katsu took a step forward before Varu's hand rest upon her shoulder. She turned her gaze to his, one of comfort. Silently he implored her to master her fear and an upturned hand rest under hers. In his grasp she did not run, but she still trembled.

"Miss, you wear the robes of a noble. You chose to stay when the others abandoned their homes. You witnessed the violence of this woman and still remain here. May I ask why?"

"I. . . This is my home. I grew up here and. . . I. . .I love it."

At this the gathered people spoke up again a bit louder. A couple even came from around their hiding places and stood openly now as if to support their kin. The fact was not lost on Katsu, nor Varu, who glanced around immediately to check for weapons. Such a battle often has aftershocks and this could become one of them. Varu began to think of how to defuse the situation, and something came to mind that could swing it around entirely.

"A valid and respectable reason. One I have fought for many times before. I see you are a reasonable woman with noble intentions and I'd fight to defend your home just as I have before."

With this a few looks of shock came over the small group and the woman entirely focused on him.

"I was one of the mercenaries charged with protecting this city. I did not defect but fought with all my strength to see the civilians protected behind its walls. However, I was disillusioned with your leaders. They sat in opulence and privilege while their people starved and died beyond these walls. Your people. Those walls were not so much to protect you as to hide your eyes from their reality. One these people saw."

With that he waved to Katsu who began to see what he was doing. Slowly understanding she began to relax on the aggression and started to put slack back into her stance, uncrossing her arms and shrugging.

"I witnessed them sacrifice themselves for the people they protected as their leader, wounded with a crushed chest, stood and fought. I pleaded with them to spare those who disarmed, pointlessly. That was an order he already gave. Those who died were paid to die by those too cowardly to see the truth behind those walls and hid behind bodies of us expendable dealers of death. And these people came to protect a people that was not their own and fight for a life better for all, proving it by not raising arms against the disarmed. For if the two who headed the front had desired, we'd all have been slain in a breath."

"I heard the confessions of our lords and saw them run. And I too saw what he speaks of. I agree with the Bear. This place was dying without good leadership and we weren't doing a damn thing about it. The taxes paid just fed their gullet. Even still. . . . even though you're right. . . . This woman here is dangerous. A weapon unlike any I've seen. I say that knowing you could cut me down now and ask, how in the hell are we expected to trust you? You devour those men and say you'd do it again, and seem to come with a fucking dragon as your support? We're given an ultimatum not a fucking choice!"

Varu fell silent for a moment and Katsu took up the discussion.

"That's bullshit and you know it. Pretty much every fucking part too. If I wanted any single one of you for any reason from becoming my shit to being my damn fuck slave I'd take you without mercy. Fact is I don't. I can do shit you can't right now but could if you fucking wanted, even if I have to teach you. You are alive and your home is spared. We're not telling any of you to give up a damn thing besides those shit bags who lorded over you. The Bear is making sure you each have food and drink, something we've fought for with our damn lives. So you can shove your fucking distrust up your ass cause you're simply not fucking thinking hard enough to realize this change doesn't affect you half as much as your fucking fear is telling you. If anything, you're just going to have a few more neighbors, a lot more fish to eat, some better medicine, and one of the best damn tactical minds in the world as a new figure head ruler. One I might add is rebuilding everything we did him god damn self I might add. Something your pieces of meat called lords couldn't fucking be bothered to do."

"Despite her aggression she makes points. While recovery from the wound is painful do you not see that new goods are already being brought in? The Bear has already forged alliances with nearby Fire and claimed the lands of waterfall beneath his banner. Rumor is heard that he is to forge an alliance with lightning as well. Senju from fire have come in to help rebuild and build more. Their Arsa has begun construction on new defenses and homes to bring the spirits to our world. Even now she visits the forgotten shrines to pay respects and speak to their inhabitants."

Deliberation spread through the crowd now as more came forward out of hiding. Men and woman stood surrounding the pair as the sun had begun to sink lower. However, the air of fear eased if only slightly. It became one of apprehension as opposed to outright terror. From a fair distance behind Hide stood and watched, listening intently. Before long, and without another word being exchanged between the two parties, the crowd would dissipate. Hide, smiling would wander off too, going back to their camp outside the city to prepare dinner.

"Well then. Now that that's been handled perhaps we should continue on to the hospital. We've still a task to do."

"About fucking time too."

Thirty minutes later the pair had arrived at the eve of a large multi story building. It remained as one of the only buildings to hold such claim as most of the others had been owned by the lords and demolished in the conflict. If not for Ano having gotten to it first and recognizing it's purpose it likely would have suffered the same fate. Unfortunately, much of the infrastructure around it had been damaged. Kori's fire had scorched several tall poles that had provided electricity to it and the road had been made impassable by wagon or cart in the process. It was also one of the first focuses of rebuilding, clearing the way for the wounded to be brought for treatment. Hide and Kori had worked many hours making sure that people had means of access.

Upon entry the two were greeted with equal parts fear and respect, depending on who was the greeter. Much of the staff had upheld their oath of duty to the ill and wounded. Bodies were brought in and their allegiance didn't matter. They were treated all the same. Though supplies had run dangerously low it was one of the first request Hide had made to the land of fire and a few medical shinobi had come with the shipment. A place of hope had been born from a house of death that day.

A man standing roughly six feet with a stained and wet jacket from sweat, his hair a mess and bags clearly forming under his eyes, spotted the two and recognized them. He spoke up in a professional if supremely tired voice addressing them.

"Please tell me you've brought more staff and food. Otherwise, I'm a bit busy."

Varu, seeing the man's disheveled state pulled a canteen from his hip and offer it over.

"Supplies have been shipped today and you should be expecting the full load within the hour. Take this and drink, sit and rest as you are of no aid to any if you collapse from exhaustion."

The man greedily took the canteen and drank deeply, gulping down the water with loud chugs. When empty he passed it back, seeming to already be heading off to another task. Seeing it pointless to interrupt whatever duty this individual seemed to have, Varu simply let him go. However, a younger man approached much more put together, having just come in the door. He got in the first's way and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"He's right, Maro. At least go take a nap. I can take over from here. Just give me your papers so I know where to go."

Exasperation and relief mixed in a chaotic dance as immediately the elder's shoulders slumped and his eyes seemed to water. Weakly he handed over the clipboard he'd been carrying and the younger had set to work. Varu approached and took the elder's hand and shoulder, guiding him to a soft bench that had been set up for the wounded to lay in wait. He untied the fur around his waist and offered it a pillow, taken with visible gratitude.

"I want more than anything to embrace the void right now. I haven't eaten in three days though. . . a fact I'm just now realizing."

Varu, always prepared to a paranoid degree, drew forth a packed lunch of rice and meat, handing it over readily. As if seeing food for the first time the man's eyes watered over once more. Delirium had obviously begun to sink into his mind from the excessive work load. However, unlike with the water, he slowly ate and Katsu with Varu claimed nearby seats.

"Thank you. . . I didn't catch your name."

"I am Varu and this is Katsu. She was of the vanguard who tore down the wall, daughter of the bear. I am of the defenders who chose to safeguard the people."

"Ahh. That explains why she's sitting there flashing her tits and cunt at me and you're the respectable one."

"Guessing you aint seen a pussy before?" katsu said with a sarcastic tone.

"Not one as fucked up as yours at least, so you got me there."

Katsu flushed red in anger and a low growl had begun to form in her chest. Unlike others, this man simply waved it off and continued eating.

"Spare the shit. I'm too fucking tired to deal with it. Sides, what you do with your cunt isn't my concern and if you can't take a few words bite back you've got other problems."

"You must have balls of steel, ass hole. I can remove them."

"Big ol meaty clackers and a dick too big for even you. Why I never had a kid with my late wife, scared of hurting her."

At this Katsu simply sat there for a minute, gauging the situation and now fighting a slight smile.

"I can't decide if I love or hate you right now and that's making me wonder who the fuck you think you are."

At this the man couldn't help but smile. "Apparently a monster tamer. Otherwise just some doc from Konoha about to fucking die of exhaustion. Seeing as how you've sat down with me, guessing you want something. You've got till I'm done eating."

"She has an interesting bug that produces a toxin that smells of almonds."

"Cyanide. Causes asphyxiation. Initial symptoms include giddiness, head fog, dizziness, and irritation of affected tissues. It can lead to severe hemorrhaging, organ failure, and brain death. Some variants can be caused by contact but assuming you mean a venom from a creature."

"Actually no. These bastards seem to do it upon contact. Here, let me show ye."

Katsu opened the box and took out a few of the centipedes, letting them crawl around her hand. However, when she did the rest of them seemed to come with the first as if following their kin. After about a minute her hand began to turn red again, proving her point.

"That's. . . new. This forsaken land has a ton of shit but didn't think that was here."

"To be fair, its not. These shitheads came from somewhere near stone. It was sent back as a shipment from our person as a "Gift to add fuel to his nightmares". Little bastards are cool aren't they?"

The doc took a break from eating for a moment to examine the creature more closely. He put on a glove and went to poke one of them which recoiled from his touch. Katsu pushed her hand a bit closer and mouthed the words "go on dammit" and the entire small collection moved over to allow themselves to be examined. However, in his tired state the doc had allowed one of them to brush their spikes against his latex glove, tearing a hole in it and causing him to recoil.

"Fuckers are toxic, and sharp, and you're letting the damn things crawl all over you? While naked no less. Please tell me you don't have holes all over your body and they use you like a hive."

"I mean, I have the same holes your wife had but what the fuck, dude?"

"Nevermind. Yeah, I have no clue what these things are. I can smell the cyanide on them though. Usually a bitch to treat since there's not really an antidote. Usually just use charcoal and let the medical shinobi extract the poison while trying to keep the air ways open. Since it's working through skin contact I'd hazard a guess hydrogen cyanide. A particularly dangerous form of a dangerous toxin. Frankly, if you're willing to go through that I'm now glad you chose to come to us for help, cause on the other side you'd be fucking terrifying."

"I get that a lot, usually along with various threats or being called a monster. At least when they can breath. Anyway, is it possible to build an immunity?"

"I've never seen it, at least not without medical arts. Guessing you lot have your ways though, or you specifically at least. Theoretically possible to build tolerance to almost anything with enough exposure. Body is just like that. But most people either don't survive long enough or never subject themselves to this shit twice. Some of the staff here have books on the local wildlife and apparently one of the snakes is massive and has a venom that stops the nerve system completely. They'd probably have more information than I would. Otherwise, I'll have to treat your dumb ass if you push it too far and I promise I won't be nice."

"Nice? If I come to you I'll probably be little more than quivering meat. In that case I'd love to see you try to fix that. Thanks for the info though. See if I can find someone who's dick I might be able to manage. Until next time, fuck you."

"And a fond go fuck yourself to you too, bitch."

Katsu got up to leave and the two seemed to exchange a look of mutual hatred mixed with respect, one Varu was entirely confused by. The entire conversation he had simply sat by and watched, flabbergasted by the lack of respect shared. Seeing this now, all he could do was stand, shake the doc's hand, and follow the titanic woman after further information.

The pair wondered the halls in search of Ano and didn't take long finding her. The woman had placed herself not far from one of the more intensive care units and was monitoring the docs as they went about their business. She did not interfere, nor did she hand out orders. Instead she watched them and seemed to gauge their performance and methods. Her brow was furrowed and she stood in a corner, as much out of the way as possible. Occasionally she would move to retrieve some tool or piece of equipment, putting herself to use as an errand girl. When she saw Katsu and Varu her stern gaze faltered and she approached, quickly ushering them into a small out of the way waiting room.

"Didn't expect to see you two here. Come by to help? These people could use it."

"Naw. Trying to find information on the Yamanaka's gift. Ran into some guy named Maro who filled me in on a bunch of different things but ultimately didn't know jack all about the damn things himself."

"See you're red and bleeding on your legs and hands, dear. Still fucking around with them before you even know what they are. . . Girl, you're going to kill yourself one of these days and I'm going to be left without a daughter and just a dragon for an adopted grandson. I can't spoil him, he's already fucking spoiled"

"Oh shove it, mom. You love him and you know it. Besides, when there's a man that can put a baby in me I'll either be out of my damn mind or the world flipped upside down."

"Could always try to knock up your girl. With what he did to you I wouldn't put it past you to make that possible."

"Mom. . ."

"Fine, I'll leave you alone about it. Besides, probably not a great idea to have a kid anyway. Miracle you've survived. Kinda literally."

Mother and daughter found themselves some seats and Varu grabbed a few drinks for them all. Once done he excused himself and went to apply himself in one task or another, offering aid to the staff here possible. It wasn't long before he was back, disrobing and donning a smock, leaving his packs and weapon behind. Wordlessly he left again, obviously being put to work.

"I see why Hide likes him. Man can't stop doing something and is damn near as self sacrificing as him. That said, what have you figured out so far? I might be able to fill in a gap or two. The local staff have been teaching me a good deal and there is a shinobi from Konoha who I poked the brain of."

"That smell is something called Hydrogen Cyanide. Apparently its nasty shit and kills a bitch by suffocating them and bleeding them out. I haven't noticed the breathing problems but the sores are proof of the other half of that."

"So that's the name of it. I've seen it used. It's not a fun way to die. One of the only times I saw it in action they had to cut the poor guy's neck open and put a hose down it to save him. Rest was more or less just trying to make sure he lived long enough to be saved."

"That's kind of fucked up, isn't it?"

". . . It's fucked up to die via suffocation when you've literally ripped people limb from limb and eaten them. . . Who the hell are you and what did you do with my daughter?"

"I also castrated that one guy for thinking I was an easy target but that's not as fucked up as being trapped in your own body while IT kills you. In my case I eat my pray, get something from it and use them. And they die quick at that. To basically have your own body turn against you and be what kills you? You're just a mind in a suffering can at that point."

"Never thought of it that way but I would suppose you're right. I've always heard drowning was the most painful way to die. Never wanted to test that theory so I'll take their word for it. I guess this would be like drowning without being able to surface. . . Damn. . ."

"On the other hand, I can think of a few mother fuckers who that would be perfect for. No amount of ripping and tearing could compare to that kind of torture. Fitting, now that I think of it."

"Sweety, when your mind goes to those bloody places it makes me worry. Please, focus on building this city up and being happy with us here for a while. We'll build and get ready. Kiri will be ruins but not yet. . . You do have a point though. We might be able to harvest this stuff and use it. Even without dying the sight of their friend's pain would deter lesser enemies."

At this Katsu had begun to gather all of the bugs off her body and dumped the rest of them out in her hand. Once they were all in a neat little pile she began to pick at them and feel the sharp prongs all along their body. As one gave her a slight cut on her fingers she jerked, pouring them all onto the ground.

"They're sharp too. They eat the moss and shit so maybe we could put bags of them in certain places. It's dirty tactics but I'm sure falling into a pit of these things or having a sack pop on your head would be push the idea through that doing anything stupid would be a bad idea."

"You're not wrong, but most shinobi would just use some jutsu or other and be gone with them. Too bad you're not one of those freaks from Konoha that can apparently control bugs.

"Your daughter can rip herself open from groin to neck and you call them freaks." Ano shrugged. "Wait, do these freaks have holes all over their body and let the bugs use them as some kind of nest?"

"I think so. The guy wasn't too specific on it. Said something about being able to patch up an Aberame but couldn't figure out why someone's infection wasn't getting better. Apparently one of the guys you decided to burn their leg off with that acid of yours. Kept bitching about hundreds of holes that had to be worked around."

"If it's the guy I'm thinking of he had it coming. Ran me through with a fucking spear. Shit hurt and pissed me off. Lucky I didn't melt his fucking head."

"Probably not as bad as Naoko splitting you up the middle."

Katsu winced and crossed her legs, immediately breaking off from the conversation for a bit and reaching down to pick up the bugs. as she spoke the words "Come here you bastards." they uniformly moved towards her hand, crawling back up onto it slowly as she picked up the rest.

"Hey, did am I crazy or did they actually listen to you?"

"Doubt it. The Yamanaka said they get the scent of something and just kinda stick around."

"No, bugs don't move like that normally, even if they're swarming something. Here, try having them move up your arm. I don't know how but do whatever you just did."

Katsu shot her mother a questioning look. The nod of her head told that Ano wasn't taking no for an answer though. Unsure of what to do she extended her arm, palm up with the centipedes in her hand. A gentle twitch gave no results. Looking once more at her mother and seeing that she wasn't satisfied she raised her arm a bit higher, as if to coax them down by gravity. Finally, she shook her arm a bit.

"Well, I tried."

"Hmm, trying to remember what the doc said about those Aberame. . . Actually, idea. Try just turning your hand over. Drop them and they'll be fine, but see if you can get them to stay there."

"Alright then but this is the last thing. I really don't think these things are like those people's bugs. As for you little shitheads. Stick and stay."

Katsu cupped her hand a little differently and slowly rotated it over. She felt dozens of tiny pinpricks as her hand went full turn and not a single one dropped. At this she got a little curious as well. Without further prompting she turned her hand back over and cupped her other hand, bringing it closer to the bugs. "Are you actually following directions?" the titanic woman thought. With just a tiny bit of coaxing the small ball of pink pain squirmed its way over to her other palm. At this, Katsu looked back at her mom.

"I think. . . we might be onto something here."

"Huh. . . Inoriki sent back more than he knew, or maybe he did. Either way I think you either need to go to Konoha or we need to bring an Aberame here. I'll talk to your dad and see what we can do. In the mean time, probably should put those away and get a smock on. I'm kidnapping you to help around here. There's a lot of heavy lifting needs done with the supplies."

"Yeah, okay. . . but fuck the smock."

Das Kirb
User flair: .001%

Heart of the Swarm

Post by Das Kirb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:52 pm

A week had come and gone as ever more construction had taken place. Where once stood monuments and warehouses filled with superfluous goods now stood several shelters for the weak and homeless. Members of fire wielding mokuton arts had come to aid in the speed of building. They built basic frame structures with weak but functional walls and Kori followed by molding smooth hard stone over the wooden skeletons. Schools, medical facilities, storehouses for non-perishable food, and homes for the poor and less fortunate all sprang up and were quickly put to use. With each new building a puzzle piece fell into place. To see the city from the sky was to bare witness to a network of connected roads that all pointed towards a building in the the center. The roads were fortified with stone and tunnels beneath them funneled away water into the marshlands. However, the true strength of Kiojin no Ryuochi was the bunker built beneath it. Spanning the entire length and width of the city and deep enough to house even the monolithic dragon Korialstraz, the people had a fall back point well fortified and easily secured.

More support had come from Konoha in the form of supplies and civilian teachers. The people of Kaijuku had been hesitant but the land of fire had been their neighbors for generations. With more teachers students of all ages were encouraged to get and education in the basics of math, reading and writing, historical accounts, and basic scientific processes. Rudimentary as it was, this would further embolden the people and build the lowest of the nation up. Arsa had worked with the spirits that called these lands their home and restored many of the old temples. Where rot and stagnation had once claimed much of the forgotten shrines now worked stone mingled with the natural landscape. Upon each entrance an intricate seal was placed, powered by the spirit the temple was dedicated too. Through the whole land, they could roam freely and pass on their knowledge. All they asked was the temples be held as sacred.

During this process Katsu had requested of her dad to bring an Aberame to the newly budding nation. The special request was met with hesitation at first as the clan's secrets were their own, not subject to be handed down to any outside the blood, much less outsiders and conquerors. After much debate it was agreed that such a shinobi would be spared, a jounin accompanied by a group of emissaries. When word was spoken who this clan member was to meet with, his personal guard was doubled and a Yamanka included among their ranks. Their arrival was met with openness as Hide saw them at the border. He had gone alone, as to prove there was no threat, though he carried his shield and giant hammer.

"Oi there, lad. Judgin' by yer entourage I assume yer the special guest from fire. Came to guide ye to our werk in progress and get ye settled in. Once yer comfortable and have a meal in ya I can make the introductions with me lass. Sure you'd like ta see the little buggers she's been asking about too."

"I am Aberame, Shikano, yes. If I may speak plainly." he waited for a nod from Hide. "It's hot, humid, and miserable. If we could get there sooner than later that would be appreciated."

"Aye, I getcha. Haven't gotten used to it meself either. Iffen yer not opposed I can call transport. Fair warnin, he's a bit of an arse and seein' 'im might make ye shite yerself."

"Long as they can get us there quickly and you promise our safety, I'll take it."

"Aye lad. That I can. Gimme a sec."

Hide pulled out a horn from beneath his fur skirt and raised it to his lips. It made a loud, low sound that carried on the wind. After about five minutes time the land began to shake and rumble. A large hill began to form in the distance as Korialstraz pushed his way from below. As the hill turned to a small mountain the gathered envoy looked upon it. Several began to reach for their weapon. The Yamanaka, however, simply began to laugh.

"Hahahahahaha, we come to a land of monsters and we get escorted by a fucking dragon! I hope every single rumor was true. If so, this mission is going to be a joy."

His allies stared at him for a moment before the top of the artificial mountain ruptured. Molten rock oozed from the new hole as Kori crawled forth from it. Hide lit his pipe as the group all readied their weapons and some even took a step back. As the first footfall struck a small tremor went through the ground. Within two full strides he was upon them.

"I came, but only see these meek few. What, is age finally catching you?

"Bah, shove yer shite up yer arse ye blasted gecko. These be the people the lass requested. Think ye could give em a ride to town and spare em the rest of the walk?"

"If I am to be your carrier I should push you into a pit."

"And ye've been so nice today. Guess it couldn't last too long. Anyway, just lay down and let them climb up. If it makes ye feel better I'll add another cavern for ye to wallow in. Can even fill it with magma if ye like."

Kori, looking down at the bear did as instructed, extending a talon out to allow them to climb into his hand. The Yamanaka did so, as did the Aburame. Everyone else simply jumped up to the large crystal spines. Hide, looking to annoy the titanic dragon, instead put himself firmly upon his nose spike and relaxed, smoking his pipe as the wyrm rose. With a powerful beat of his wing they took to the skies and each besides the Yamanaka and Hide had to grab whatever they could to avoid being blown off by the powerful winds created.

Not ten minutes flight did the city of Kaijuku appear on the horizon. As Kori began to descend, choosing a landing space a good deal from the city proper, the gathered envoy once again gripped whatever they could for safety. A couple leapt off to avoid the turbulence of such a huge creature landing. However, it did little as his touchdown sent shock waves through the solid stone specifically created for such things. As they all regained their composure Hide began to dismount as well, taking his sweet time lumbering down before Kori jerked his head and sent him tumbling to the hard earth below. A sly grin crossed his face as Hide had to push himself up, having the wind knocked out of him by the landing.

"Be quicker."

"Be less of a blasted cunt!"

"My task is done either way. If I'm needed I shall be making my new cavern."

To this end Kori began to burrow into the solid stone, reforming it behind him until all that was left was the vague trembling shocks that pulsed out. Hide finished correcting himself and looked over towards the gathered group who now stared at him as if beholding something that should not be. It wasn't till he gave a quizzical look that they decided it was best not to question the relationship of one known as the bear and a literal dragon. Instead, they reformed their rank and file, having finally remembered their station and mission.

"Ye can drop the act 'ere, lads. This is a home fer all and petty shite can be left at the door lest we're at war. Common, we'll get ye settled in. Question, above ground or below?"

"Above, if you have quarters. And I'd rather not be in the path of that dragon should his cavern bleed over."

"It won't. Blasted skink knows better. 'sides, lass would beat his ass like a cheff to a steak iffen he did. But fair enough. Got some housing special fer diplomats and passers through."

Hide took the lead guiding them through the city. While many of the people made passage for him others barely noticed, going about their work or play. Hide had to actively sidestep a man who rest in the street, sweat pouring down his brow. The man didn't so much as look up, instead simply laying down. Beside him a building stood half finished and tools were worn from heavy use. Inside the building it was made clear this was to be a shop as shelves had been built and a counter put in place.

"Lad, ye need some water and shade. Dun kill yerself makin something. Never 'ave a chance to enjoy it."

"Just. . . let me rest. It's so damn hot in there."

"Take this lad, I'll be back fer it after I'm done 'ere and lend a hand."

Hide tossed the man a leather bag with a nozzle at one end. The sound of sloshing water caught the man's attention and he caught it, gulping it down. His thirst temporarily slaked he sat up and looked at who he was speaking too, immediately catching himself before spouting something out in surprise. With a nod he removed himself from the road, returning to the shade of his project. the scene caused the Aburame to smile and look at Hide.

"So that rumor is true at least. The king stands beside his subject, no matter their rank. Or do you not intend to return?"

"'course I'm coming back. That's my favorite waterskin. Come, lets get ye settled in."

Hide lead them through the rest of the city where construction seemed to have been completed. People had begun to settle into their new lives. Several of them had horrible disfigurements but seemed happier for their lot in life than expected. However, upon arrival to what was to be their dwelling for the next several months it was made clear they were being treated as if equal to those who roamed the streets. The building was tall and freshly built, towards the center of the city. Several stories had clearly been added and it appeared to have strategically placed windows to allow for air flow. Not a one was wider than a man's shoulders though. This was a guard tower and lodging, built rugged, plain, but supremely functional.

The inside was sparsely furnished and candles acted as light. Clearly this building had no power running to it as yet. A massive center brazier had taken the place of a table and a chimney was now visible to run up the entire center of the building. There was a staircase that ran up to the roof with several floors between. Hide lead them up the stairs, wide enough for his bulk so wide enough for two to go either direction. On the way up they had to pass a seal that prompted remark.

"What is this seal's purpose?"

"That one? Not sure. Best guess would be Arsa put it there to make this building an anchor for something or other. She's been markin' up the whole place. A few of the people know it and seem to like it, and it doesn't bother the others, so I trust she knows what she's doin'."

"You allow someone to place fuuin upon your walls and you don't understand them?"

"Don't have too. So far she's done nothin but good fer me and mine. 'er heart is true enough and she's downright lovesick for me girl. Should see her dancin around from time to time. Been talkin to some spirit she calls the fae. Sayin she wants to open a realm called Tir na Nog or some shite. Iffen it makes her happy, doesn't bother the people, and keeps her busy I don't care. If the spirits she's talkin too help out all the better. And most of 'em have fer some modest request or other. She's the reason that newt is able to stick around."

"Wait. . . So he wasn't your summon?"

"Nope, he's me lasses adopted son. Makes the bastard me grandson. I don't know thing feckin one about how any of that works."

Looks were exchanged between the Konoha shinobi. Disbelief was on some, the Yamanaka and Aburame seemed to be of respect. However, confusion laced the respect of the latter.

"I mean no disrespect, sir. You gathered these people and overtook a government with minimal shinobi support. I'd venture to say I haven't seen a single samurai either. Who are you truly to possess such a skill?"

"Bahahahahahahaha, I'm just a father, husband, and old mercenary who saw a problem and am workin to fix it. Truth told we barely came out of that fight with our skins. Hell, me lass literally lost hers at one point. Blasted dragon had to light 'er up. Some fuuin one of the bastards put on 'er. He's still running around here somewhere too actually. But yeah, once she went up in flames it was a blessed curse. Girl went and tore a hole through their ranks and it was hell bringing her back from that rampage. Had to 'ave her lass tame the raging beast."

A moment of silence fell upon them as they continued to climb the stairs. Soon they reached the appropriate floor and Hide open a door leading into a much better furnished and decorated room. Inside there were several smaller rooms for private chambers. However, the decor of the main room was as if painted and carved from master and novice hands alike. Along one of the far walls a table sat with several ornately carved chairs surrounding it and taking up another was a desk filled with paper and pen. There was more room than seemed possible from the outside and murals mixed with various trinkets made it appear as a mansion. The chimney that was to be expect was also missing, making it obvious they had stepped into a different realm, if the lack of sweltering heat hadn't made it clear already. Sound could be heard, a light singing, coming from an implacable source as well.

"Well lads, hope this is to yer liking. Make yerselves at home but don't feel caged. Ye can come an' go as ye like. If ye need food I believe one of these rooms is a kitchen. I'll give ye yer privacy to discuss anything ye need. When ready you can call usin' that there markin on the wall. Someone will be by and fetch whatever ye need. That other markin, the one with the strange overlooping knots, will call fer Arsa who can bring the lass yer 'ear for. Iffen ye don't mind, I got a promise to keep."

The Konoha shinobi looked around in puzzlement as Hide closed the door behind him. They each admired the quarters they had been given in their own way, a few claiming rooms already. Shikano looked towards the Yamanaka and the two locked eyes for a moment.

"Yeah, I dug and found nothing. He's an open book and not a damn bit of this is false, Shika. There's nothing here but what he said and a few spirits who don't even care about anything we're saying or doing. Seems that rumor was true as well. The Realm of Titans is a home for all kinds of oddballs, or so he's honestly trying to make it."

"Get anything on this "student"?"

"Yeah, it's his daughter, and the briefing was accurate. It's Artemisu, Katsu, the Beastia from Kiri."

"A man rallies monsters and takes over two countries under his banner, with only one of their number having an official military training. Impressive, but I'm not trusting it. You sure you dug through all of his memories?"

"Yup, all of them. Even the ones where he was banging someone or other or jacking off. This man is less a diplomat and more a mercenary mastermind. He thinks the truth is the best way to get shit done, even with himself. Fact is I honestly don't think we have anything to worry about, at least not from him or his. However, they do have a Yamanaka in their service. Something about his wife having basically enslaved the poor bastard. Called himself Ghost. I'll need to report that back to the Hokage."

"Not too familiar with that name. Heard it spoken a couple times talking about some merchant baron or something. Either way, shall we get to securing the room?"

"Do what you want, there's nothing here. I'm going to explore."

"Better to double check."

The morning after the shinobi from Konoha had fully established themselves in their quarters. The remains of a simple but ample meal rest on the central table and they had found themselves fond of fiddling with the various seals that lined the walls. Having investigated each of them they were found to be seals of anchoring, calling, and storage. The latter had been placed in each individual room though none trusted them with their valuables.

"My mission here is to observe and gather information. It feels like I could easily gather all I need just by walking through the streets so that's what I'm gonna do. I'll be in your head if you need me, so just call. Fair warning, this lass of his is about as big as him and can literally smell your fear. I'd make sure not to fill your new pants."

Shikano gave no verbal response but glared at the Yamanaka who vanished through the door. With a wave all but one of the other shinobi were dismissed to go about their individual business. Once his shoes were laced he approached the seal that had been pointed out the day before and did the sign for a kai. It glowed brightly for a moment before there was a knock upon the door behind. Upon opening a woman clad in a fur skirt and wearing a deer's skull as a hat greeted him with a smile.

"The birds sing and the sun rises. Are you ready to greet them?"

Shikano went to advert his eyes from this bare chested woman who spoke strangely. However, after a moment he decided that was more rude and simply coughed, attempting to hide his awkward feeling.

"Yes. I'd like to get to my mission as quickly as possible so I can enjoy my stay."

"Enjoy your duty as much as your home and you shall have a life of bliss. I'll take you to my Beastia. She's been waiting for this and is so excited to meet you."

Shikano remained silent for lack of anything that could ease his discomfort at the social interaction. Instead he fell in step behind the woman and kept his senses open. As they left the building he beheld the simple structures much more clearly, finding himself impressed with their composition. Each wall was slightly slanted with a wider base and more narrow top. Many had already been decorated as they appeared to move through a resedential area. Vividly colored flowers were weaved into vines that covered the walls. Brightly colored cloths were hung around windows and doors. And No house seemed without one of those strange seals laced with intricate knot work.

"You are Arsa, correct?"

"Aye, my name is Arsa. I am the daughter of Gaia and wife of Beastia."

"If I may ask a couple questions. My first would be what those strange seals are for. They look like a type of fuuinjutsu but I've never seen one so intricate. The second would be for more information of this Beastia."

"Those are rituals performed to bring our world closer to others. This home will be for all, from here and beyond. I wish to see the people able to seek their council, pay their tribute, and speak with long dismissed friends and family. Each one will help them do that and I'd see their smiles as a glorious radiance against the water before my work is done. As for my Beastia. She is a woman of passion and resilience. Her every movement is one of absolute dominion and her smile eclipses the sun. To see her is to know that Gaia's beauty and fury are the same. To know her is to understand that the beauty is because of the fury. . . this all probably sounds like the words of a love struck small one, but they're true. I have known her in all her love, rage, and passion. Its consuming, and comforting."

Shikano furled his brow, disappointed by the lack of true information.

"I see. And this passion, this rage. . ."

"You are safe with her, dear Shikano. She wishes to be with her and learn from you. She may become frustrated, but her anger will be mild. I am to stay by your and her side for the duration to remind her to play nice."

Slightly put at ease he followed along without a further word. Their destination had become evident as a clearing that appeared to be made for some sort of large sporting area. Katsu had taken a knee and was fiddling with something in a pile of moss that had been gathered, several buckets of water sat beside it. As the three approached she looked up and stood. Shikano saw the horrid scars that ran the length of her arms and legs. He saw the grizzly mark that claimed her chest and made note of her impossibly strong physiology. All he had been told were true, this woman was truly built like a brick shithouse and an old one at that. One that had made no effort to cover its past and the reason for her nudity had been made clear just as fast as he could register it.

Arsa bounded up to Katsu who quickly gathered several small creatures off her bleeding shoulders and stomach before embracing the small woman. She shared a long hug before slightly breaking to kiss and turn her attention to the Konoha shinobi. The great woman approached and extended a hand which was hesitantly shaken.

"Hey there. I'm sure you know I'm Katsu and am the one who asked for you. Wanna learn a few things about something a bastard sent back and your clan's name came up when asking around."

"I am Aburame, Shikano. I assume you're referencing our connection with the swarms we host. Lets see this specimen."

Katsu opened her other hand and showed a rather small bundle of the writhing pink centipedes. Shikao inspected them closely, pulling a thick leather glove from his pocket to poke them and get better angles. He made note of the rash on her palm and the almond scent they carried.

"I have no idea what these are but they're laced with Cyanide. You've some tolerance to handle them like you do."

"I'm stubborn like that. Little fuckers can give ya a nasty poke too. Those spines aren't just for show."

"I'd think so. However, such a small swarm is hardly noteworthy. We can cultivate them and potentially harness their toxin but I'm not sure what you want to learn from me."

"Well, they're doing something that doesn't make much sense. They seem to listen somehow but I haven't known a bug to do that. . . ever."

"Listen?"

In answer Katsu rotated her hand and the small swarm remained where they were. Noticing the unimpressed look on Shikano's face she proceed to place a finger up near her shoulder. At first they didn't respond but when she began to get assertive and mouth "come on fuckers" they moved towards the finger. Seeing this, the Aburame did a double take of his senses before growing more curious. He made a motion with his hand to urge her on to which Katsu placed her finger upon her belly. Once again no response, however when she rolled her eyes in frustration they moved towards the location.

"I see what you mean. Yes, this is something I can help with and would actually enjoy learning with you. I assume you're not making them do that via a chakra source are you?"

"I can barely use the shit much less use it to control these things. Never had the taste for it anyway."

"I didn't want to assume, just knew you had military training. That said, if they're not responding to chakra we'll need to figure out what they're responding too. I noticed when you got them to move they were doing so once you seemed to grow frustrated or assertive. I don't think they're listening but picking up on something else. Insects, arachnids, and arthropods like these tend to be more sensitive to vibrations, scents, and visual stimulation. I'll assume its not sight. Try flexing your stomach gently and then more firmly."

Katsu did so and achieved no response. The centipedes remained firmly on her stomach, gathering around her finger. Once Katsu did it again they began to scatter, gathering in the crooks of her arms.

"Hmm, that leaves scent. Much more difficult to provoke a response with naturally so I doubt you've found a swarm like ours. Here, let me try something."

The Aburme did a few seals before covering his nose. Once done he sniffed the air and noticed the strong undertones coming from Katsu and the flowery fragrance from Arsa. It took a few seconds for him to sort through the various odors to isolate the myriad other softer scents that radiated from Katsu herself. The strong smell of blood and sweat mixed with grasses and dirt. Beneath it all was something else though, something barely perceptible.

"Do it again, more forcefully. Try to get them to gather upon your chest just below the neck. Don't do anything but try and will it to happen."

Katsu scratched her head but did as instructed. A minute went by with no results. However, she grew frustrated once more and it was done. The bugs had moved towards her throat and gathered there. Shikano had picked up what he was looking for as well. Katsu was subtly changing her scent enough for them to notice and respond. With another seal made he turned off his jutsu.

"Figured it out. They're responding to your body. You're able to send chemical signals to them naturally. I'm not sure how but you're a natural swarm host. Now that we've figured that out we can start working on perfecting it. It'll be a learning process for me too truth told. But in the mean time I can teach you how to breed them and properly take care of them. A swarm host must have a good sized swarm for them to be useful."

"Fuck yeah, how we do?"

Return to “Other Countries”