[Graded] Dragons of Summer's Night

Mika/Katsu

Das Kirb
User flair: .001%

[Graded] Dragons of Summer's Night

Post by Das Kirb » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:32 am

Varu and Kori rested far from the walls of the city, it having been constructed far too tightly for the bulk of the massive dragon. Kori rested his massive head upon the ground and watched as Varu, a man he had fostered a great respect for, displayed his mastery of the strange instrument he played. As Varu sang Kori listened and grew ever more relaxed. Eventually, one could hear his bass snore though Varu did not stop as his music was not complete. It was the better part of a half hour, as the sun sank beneath the distant trees and the frog song overtook his that Varu played. Once the wildlife had claimed the night and the moon rose high into the sky, he knew it was the hunter's time and that his song was over.

"You've improved you skill, Varu'Kahn. I was lulled to sleep. Tell me, what is the name of that piece?"

"I haven't named it. It's a piece I've been making in honor of our achievements here. I hope to present it to the people."

"They deserve such a gift?"

"All people deserve the gift of music. I only hope it quells the fires in their fear."

At this Kori opened one of his titanic eyes and peered at Varu. Though respecting the man's craft and enjoying the massive stroking of his own ego, he did not understand his passion for these people. The Titan had called them braver than any soldier, but they huddled in their homes as he and the rest had laid siege to the city. In the dragon's eye, they were cowards and have yet to prove themselves.

"Hmmph. If it pushes you to perfection then at least they have that merit."

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

Dragons of Summer's Night

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:52 am

Mika walked quietly, keeping away from towns and cities as best as she could. Her tail was carefully and gently wrapped around her leg. She kept her cloak wrapped around her body, not just the snaps in place to keep it that way, but holding it closed to keep it there. The hood was up as well, keeping even her horns covered. She carried a small bag of supplies with her, but little else save for the clothes on her back. It was a lonely journey, all the more lonely at her age, but she hardly knew what else to do. After what had happened to her mother, and to her, she was terrified. As she walked the sun set, the shadows lengthened, and she could see the trees rising in the distance and even what she was certain was a mountain far in the distance.

Yet the closer she got, the more she realized it was no mountain, something else was at play here. She could hear music, and a very loud snore. She drew closer, pausing by some trees and trying to hide herself in the shadows of them. She pushed herself up against the trunk of one of them and looked around it to see what was going on as she heard voices. she was shocked as she realized she was looking at a large dragon, her eyes going wide. 'This is a site mother would have loved to see...' she thought to herself.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:14 am

"Perfection is impossible, but I will chase it anyway. Any more reasons to add to why is merely good fortune."

"Perhaps. I'd not weigh myself down with reasons and oaths unless its too myself or something fit to earn it, though. More reason beyond always proving yourself better is wasted energy."

"You consider the bear a man chasing of perfect, right? His entire purpose is for the good of his family. Even the members he dislikes. I'm sure without them he'd have simply settled into obscurity by now."

"That bastard sacrifices himself for others outside his own. Its in his nature, and a troublesome trait at that. More than once he's stepped between Katsu and myself and our goals, instead demanding we help set up this city."

"Yet he's fought beside you just as often and raised his shield in your defense I'd assume."

"That and being Katsu's father is why I consider him a good man rather than just another meal. He has earned my respect and he does his all in chasing his own perfection. For that he deserves that much and for me to come if called. But I doubt he'll ever earn my affection, nor I his."

"For a creature as grand as you I consider respect the highest form of affection. However, in a more human sense I'd imagine his goals here are amiable to you as well. Were you and Katsu not hunted as monsters and is this not to become a home for Titans?"

The great dragon snorted in answer, blowing hot ash over the grasses and causing Varu to quickly get out of the way. Once the threat had passed the man scooched, repositioning himself out of any further lines of fire. He let the conversation turn to silence as he simply listened to the rhythmic breathing of the great wyrm. It mixed with the sounds of cricket, frog, and owl to create a melody of peace. As he looked across from their clearing into the tree line he spotted a vague humanoid figure though, causing him to squint. Even then, he could not verify if a person actually stood or it was simply shadows playing fae tricks.

"We appear to be watched, or I am paranoid."

"Probably one of the river people. They come around from time to time, usually just to marvel. Watch, Varu."

Kori allowed his body to grow hot and the huge crystal formations that lined him to begin to glow a brilliant orange and yellow. The light illuminated the clearing though cast more shadows beyond the trees. The dragon moved his head to aim towards the direction of their stalker, though only a single eye remained open, unable to glimps what Varu had only barely spotted.

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:51 pm

As Kori snorted, Mika hid her full self behind the tree with a small squeak she couldn't quite help. Only as quiet took over again did she start to peer around the tree again, almost to freeze in place as the other said something about being watched. She knew they had to be talking about her. For a moment she was terrified at the idea of being caught. Would her true appearance make the consequences worse? Her mother may have idolized dragons, but Mika had witnessed first hand that idolization wasn't entirely sane.

As the dragon began to glow, she couldn't help looking further out from beyond the tree. She was mystified by the sight of him, the sheer beauty of him. As she stretched to look out past the tree, her hood fell back. Not only her pale skin and pale white-blond hair were put on display in the glow of Kori's crystals. But also her dark horns that came up from just behind her oddly shaped ears and curled up in front of her head slightly.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:40 am

The pair finally caught sight of their stalker. Caught by surprise Varu rose to his feet in a smooth slow motion. Kori also raised his head and now looked to witness what was before them.

"The people of this land truly are diverse. I had assumed you to be the only dragon here."

"I am."

Kori's light shone just a little brighter, further illuminating this figure. In the dancing colors they witnessed nearly white skin and dark horns. A small figure that betrayed not even of adulthood yet as well. Kori shifted his weight, causing the earth to shake with his bulk as his feet were put beneath him.

"Step forward. I'd like to see you clearly."

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:39 pm

Mike was so focused on the dragon, that she didn't even notice his companion's swift motion. But she did notice Kori raise his head and she heard the voices. With a sudden squeak of shock she pulled her head behind the tree again. In the same motion she realized her hood had come down and cursed under her breath. She pulled the hood up quickly to cover herself, and heard the dragon speak again. Cursing under her breath at her foolish curiosity, she carefully moved to step around the tree.

The girl moved slowly. She may have only been eleven, but naturally she knew the dangers of the world better than many. She swallowed hard, keeping her cloak pulled tight around her with one hand, her other holding her hood in place as she stepped fully into view but stared up at the dragon. It was then that she looked over and saw Varu. Her blue eyes blinked rapidly at the sight of him, irises slitted like a lizards as she stared at him in fear a moment before turning her attention to Kori. "I...I didn't mean any harm..." she managed to stammer out. "I just... I had never seen a dragon before... my mother spoke of them often but... I didn't know... I mean, I had never seen one like you before..."

Though much of her was covered with the cloak, her hands that kept the cloak in place still shimmered in the light that Kori gave off. Her pale white and silver scales glimmered and reflected the light naturally, an eerie sight against the dark fabrics as her brilliant blue eyes almost glowed in the shadows of the cloak.

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:16 pm

The girl approached and both of them bore witness to a girl, not even of adolescence. Her timid stride and clutching at the cloak that engulfed her spoke more of fear than anything else, though it was possible she was cold, Varu thought. A warm summer's night could still be an arctic wind to some who were used to the scorching sun of some lands. It was only getting closer that he knew he was oh so wrong, and before him stood another draconic. Immediately the man pulled out a pad of paper and pen, laying it on the ground beside him before Kori spoke.

"There are no others like I. In this world, I had thought none were as you."

Kori shifted his titanic head and arched his neck, looking straight down at this girl. The light he emmanated brought her features into stark contrast. A human, with traits of the wyrm. It was not unlike when he housed in a human's body. However, where visible her skin did not crack and her armor did not boil. Her face was not that of dragon's kin but the eyes were. It had come to his thoughts that there would be other dragons of other planes. It had never occurred that another would walk as he had, in human skin.

"Come forward and sit with us. We should all be so lucky to witness a beast such as he. And we should all be so lucky as to converse with a beast such as you. I have food and water, you are welcome to it if you wish."

As Varu played the dutiful host, Kori continued inspecting the girl. He snorted a hot gust of wind when he grew frustrated that no new information was coming to him though.

"Yes. Sit. You may also shed that shell you've trapped yourself within. All from other worlds are free to walk openly here. Let us witness your truth, outside that skin."

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:36 pm

She gave almost a sad smile as Kori revealed he were the only of his kind. "That is truly a shame." she admitted. "My mother would have loved to have met you." she added. "She told me she served a god of the dragons, that they gave her the ability to transform into one of their kin." she admitted, tilting her head slightly as she looked at Kori. "You kinda remind me of her." she admitted, smiling a bit again before turning her attention to Varu.

She couldn't help an immediate frown as he referred to her as a beast. It wasn't a word she much liked, as it had been used in the past to demean her when she and her mother had been attacked. But for the moment she didn't say a word against it, some part of her assuming he didn't mean harm by it as she carefully moved to the fire with him. She looked up at Kori as he told her to 'shed that shell' and it took her a moment to realize just what he meant by that. She looked down at her hands clutching her cloak to herself a moment and took a deep breath, meant to calm her but in truth it only caused her heart to race more. She finally used one hand to pull back her hood in full, revealing the curve of her horns and her pale white-blonde hair. The other hand released her cloak before unbuttoning it and removing it entirely to reveal her wings and tail as well. Her entire form was revealed as she carefully folded up her cloak upon the ground before sitting down upon her. Her tail she allowed to stretch out behind her before curling around slightly behind her. Her wings unfurled themselves and stretched self consciously before settling in a slightly open, though natural at rest position. She sat comfortably before hesitantly looking up at Varu and Kori in turn, watching for their reactions.

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:48 pm

Varu didn't say much as he assumed she was speaking to Kori. Instead he produced a ration and laid it upon the ground before the girl. A waterskin was given as well to go with the meal of steamed if cold veg and rice. He did, however, note what she said. Once seated he quickly opened the pad and began to write with smooth hand. Something had caught his attention but he dared not speak at this insant, and he was right to do so.

The girl had disrobed and before the pair sat a perfect union of wyrm and girl. Varu couldn't help but smile, though he quelled the myriad questions he had wanted to ask. Kori looked at her quizzically. While seeing she was more of his kin than Varu's he wished to see something more.

"You shed your clothes, not your chain. Are you bound to that form and unable to stretch as I do?" after a second he began to piece it together. A look of regret filled his eyes, and for the rare time in the mighty wyrm's life, sorrow. "Or is it that you are truly free to walk upon this world? Did your mother beseech this god and grant you this gift?"

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:05 pm

Mika tilted her head a moment and looked up at Kori, almost sadly. "I wish I could stretch as you do." she admitted. "This is as I am." she added, sighing quietly to herself. She turned her head to looking into the flames, staring into the dancing colors almost sadly as a tear snaked its way down her face though she hardly felt it. "Or I wish I could shift like my mother to be more human. Instead this is how I am... how I always am." she swallowed hard and shrugged, her wings shifting with the motion as if to punctuate it somehow. "I was deemed a monster by our village, our home was burned, my mother killed, and I was chased away for it. If I could change, one way or the other, perhaps it could have been different."

Her own sadness was broken as Kori spoke again, as he referred to it as a gift and he asked of her mother, and there she couldn't help an almost whimsical smile. "I never thought someone might ask me for her story some day." she said aloud, realizing she never knew she might get this chance. "My mother believed strongly in the myths of Kiyohime." she told them, turning to look up at Kori. "Kiyohime was a woman who had fallen in love with a monk named Anchin, and when he denounced her love and denied her... she turned into a mighty serpent, a wyrm some say, and destroyed him in her rage. My mother believed she was the reincarnation of Kiyohime and prayed to her god that he might reveal to her her Anchin." she grinned, much like the child she was telling a great story.

Her eyes turned to the fire. "Then one day a great man of renown came to our little village. He came to help us, and in him she saw her Anchin, she gave her advances and she was not rebuffed. Her rage never bubbled to the surface. She always told me that I was born of that, that I was the gift of Kiyohime's closure. That my appearance was clearly the blessing of her god for her fulfilling her fate and her destiny."

The girl's smile faded slowly. "But my appearance was why the villagers attacked us, burned our home and killed my mother... what kind of gift is that?"

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:23 pm

The pair listened and Varu wrote. He wrote every word but noticed the shift in tone. Setting a side of his mind to the task of writing he listen more intently now. However, as the tale was told he couldn't help but smile a sad smile. A similar story had been told in pieces. However, that story was still being written. However, he was not the one to speak first, even though he went too.

"Your mother strove to become a wyrm and have kin. She achieved that goal and then the next. Your mother sounds like my own, a woman of strength and purpose."

"I'd agree with Kori though I don't agree with the method. However, you were born and are proof of her success. Despite the darkness in your life to see her efforts made so wonderfully real in a child like you. . . I'd say she likely looks at you with pride as you yet live, even if she is sad at the shadows around you."

Kori and Varu grew silent for a moment and Varu wrote a few more things down. Eventually he began to draw a sketch of this girl, an almost child-like joy in each stroke.

"To answer your question, a gift of freedom. You are not like me, fully. You do not need to be like me. We are dragonkin and that is enough. Know that is all I see when looking upon you. If you face cowards who can not accept that then burn them before you."

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:32 pm

Though still a child, Mika knew the need to keep up appearances. Her mother had been a medic as well as a priestess after all. She took a deep breath to steady herself as Kori spoke, though it was as Varu spoke that she felt the shell of her stillness begin to crack. At first it was only a sniffle. A second sniffle as she tried to take another breath before she realized she had already begun to cry as the small whimper of a child's escaped Mika's lips. She swallowed hard to steel herself and calm, yet as Kori spoke again she found herself hearing something she hadn't thought she would ever hear.

Acceptance.

She still wasn't sure she could accept herself, but in the night and among these two strangers, one of them a dragon, she found acceptance. She stood up from her place by the fire and moved slowly closer to Kori. Assuming he did not stop her, she would not stop until she was near his chest, sitting where one of his front legs met his great chest and leaning against him. She rest her head against his great scales as the tears began to slip down her face and quiet sobs began to wrack her little body.

Relief.

She never thought she could ever feel it like this.

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:45 pm

Gentle blues and purples began to replace the brilliant orange and yellows. The girl came close and Kori did not rebuke her. His intense heat cooled to a gentle breeze as he actively trying to make her comfort his priority. So tiny was she, and a welp too, he saw her as kin and accepted her as such. Varu stopped writing and drawing her alone. Now he retrieved his instrument and began to play again. This time he didn't sing, merely letting the music speak for itself.

"I think you've found a new home here among the titans."

"I may have to give Hide credit. For this I'll swallow my pride. As for you, rest. Even the beastia can't fight forever and needs rest. Let your tears run freely. When you are able I must ask. What is your name?"

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:21 pm

She curled up in the curve of one of Kori's mighty legs. Her wings folded in against her body, covering her slightly almost like blankets. Her tail came up and around her at the same time. The tears didn't take long to subside, the cool breeze coming off the dragon now brought with it the sensation of tiredness that she hadn't really noticed before. It hadn't occurred to her that she had been traveling hours, maybe even days, without much rest. She had been so paranoid about what others might do to others that she had been terrified to rest. But here she was rest, and she was calm. Yet also slightly embarrassed as she heard Kori ask for her name. It was a basic nicety that her mother had taught her long ago to adhere to, and yet she seemed to have forgotten even basic manners. Heat rose to her cheeks briefly as she realized this before answering his question.

"Senkensha Mika." she said quietly. Shifting a bit that she might still be comfortable but be able to see Varu again she looked towards the man a moment. "What do you mean, the titans?" she asked, lifting her head slightly to look up at Kori before realizing how silly the notion was. Looking up at the dragon did nothing for her, he was so large and loomed over her so much it wasn't as if she could look him in the face. "Who is the beastia?"

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm

"This land, this realm, is being created for ones such as you and he. The man who calls it his kingdom is Hidetsuga, the Mercenary King. He has also taken a liking to being call the Titan. Fitting considering his size and larger than life personality. He gathered the people in the swamps and rivers and attacked the nobility, demanding they share the wealth. They refused, and what must come afterwards did. I don't know the true reasons for assuming control over a nation as it seems to shift between the lot of them. However, he has been making this a home for those without one. Judging by the family he built I'd say he's doing what any man would desire most, just going above and beyond as he always does."

"His arrogance in humility is confusing and strange. Beside him is Beastia. You will meet her in time, should you stay. It is my hope she accepts you."

"Ahh, yes. Artemisu, Katsu. She is a strange one. Brutal, but seemingly caring. With a child like you and a form like hers I'd place good ryo she would accept this girl in an instant, even if she's a bit cold at first. Don't worry about her being against you in this. Even if she is she'll avoid you more than attack. Just, don't piss her off. I've seen what she can do and nightmares have little to grasp it."

"She will be fine. Beastia is welcoming. If angered she may bring a cataclysm, but she is the reason I am here and she is not just a monster. You, Mika, will judge her for yourself. Stand against her if you wish, or with her if you can. Know that by my might you shall be shielded if I must."

"You'd stand against your adopted mother? Could you even challenge her?"

"This welp is dragonkin. I hope to see the two together and pushing towards their perfection. But if I must, I will bath her in flames."

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:11 pm

Mika kept her place snuggled up against Kori's scales, finding more and more comfort in the position. His breath was a comforting sound to her ears, even as she listened to Varu's words. She didn't quite grasp all the names, or understand the weight and meaning behind all of the conversation. It wasn't until he asked Kori if the dragon would stand against his adopted mother that she began to understand. A confused expression crossed her face as she looked to Varu first and then glanced upwards at Kori again.

"I hope I don't cause pain between others.... again." she whispered, curling nearly into a ball against his scales once more as she once more thought about the way things had gone for her in recent weeks. She couldn't help but to feel as if her mother had died because of her. She did not know this beastia, but already she worried about a division between Kori and Beastia simply because of her presence.

Das Kirb

Post by Das Kirb » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:21 am

"To be challenged causes pain. This is a fact of life. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen her wrath, and it wouldn't be the last. This is my choice and it is made. If the worst comes, I'll bath the world in molten rock and fire."

"You speak as if it's already certain. Judging from her track record she'd sooner stand against all the great five to protect, Mika."

"You're right and its not Beastia's judgement I fear. We are dragonkin and she has already proven herself kin to me. I doubt she'd turn down this girl. Young one, I fear your judgement of her. She is not like us, nor is she human. My mother is true fury given form and beautiful to behold. But she has inspired nightmares. Know I am with you when we meet her and you are safe no matter what you witness."

Return to “Other Countries”