The Fine Art of Throwing Rocks

Das Kirb
User flair: .001%

The Fine Art of Throwing Rocks

Post by Das Kirb » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:23 am

"I have been requested to train you in the art of ranged combat, miss Katsu. The Bear thinks it will do you some good even if you are more than capable than fighting without it."

Varu stood with a bow in hand and obviously appearing apprehensive. The woman he was being asked to train was known for her brutality. Having seen her in combat exactly once he was not thrilled to witness it twice. However, he steeled his nerve when the request had come from Hidestuga, hoping that familial persuasion would ease whatever her legendary temper could toss at him. Despite this, he made note not to let it show in his voice when dealing with the beast, a trait she appeared to respond too.

"Yeah, I know. And frankly, on this one, he's right. Lotta people died on our side back there and it shouldn't have been so. Fucker was able to keep dodging. and I even caved the old man's chest in. Fact is. . . Yeah, let's do this."

Relieved that she was on board with this endevoure Varu's shoulders eased significantly. Without another word the pair had departed to the newly built training fields.
Trained JutsuShow
Vorashu's Fury: Stone Bullet
E - Tai (Maneuver)
Katsu picks up handful of stone, dirt, or other debrise and squeezes it to produce a roughly baseball sized hardened mass that can further be used as weaponry. The mass is blunt and roughly spherical with an effective hardness of her strength at time of creation.
"Do you think you'll be using a weapon of some sort for this?"

"Suppose I'd have too, unless I can just throw rocks at them."

Varu looked down upon the ground around them and back at the physical build of the beastial woman. Upon appraisal he came to the conclusion that a bow or javalin of any sort would not suit her style of combat. Instead she would need a weapon that was amply available. For a brief moment he pondered on the idea of attempting to have her form such a weapon from her person, the prospect of witnessing such a violent transformation turned the warrior poet's stomach. She had selected a viable option it would seem. One that would supply her with nearly limitless ammunition as well.

"You have suggested the perfect tool for the job actually. However, stone is not omnipressent. We will need to train you in other means as well."

"Okay, first off you're telling me to throw rocks at trained military. That's fucking hilarious. Second, that's bullshit. I love this idea. Here, let's try something."

Varu watched as Katsu reached down into the dirt and sand of the training grounds to take a fist full of it. She crushed it within her palm with a mighty effort and continued to squeeze. As the pass appeared to mold into a solid mass he witnessed a new sedimentary rock be formed.

"Your strength is beyond impressive, miss Katsu. Throw it at that wall and lets see how it performs."

Katsu reared back and arched her body like a professional pitcher, launching the new stone with great force. Enough that the stone exploded into a puff of dirt and sand before it ever left her hand.

"Seems that solution was too good to be true. Let us look for other options."

"Bullshit! Give me a sec I've got this shit handled."

Katsu once more reached down, however this time reaching just below the surface and finding clay and some more damp dirt. Lifting this she cupped both her hands and began to squeeze with great force. The smell of smoke could faintly be noticed before she was done just as quick as the first. This new mass appeared much more sturdy that the last, and almost spherical. Without prompting she launched it just like the first. This one didn't break at all, instead hitting the hardened stone wall and exploding fantastically.

"Well, we appear to have solved that problem. Many of my techniques will need to be translated to this tool but I do think it is a survicable solution."

"Fuck yeah, what's next?"
Jutsu TrainedShow
*[Flawless Aim Style • Sentinel Shot]
D-Rank Taijutsu Stance
Taking multiple projectiles into hand and priming the muscle groups required for launching projectile weapons, the practitioner can quickly shoot projectiles in rapid succession and just as quickly reload. While in this Stance, the practitioner can maintain a near-constant stream of projectile attacks. However, due to the amount of coordination required for this Stance, their movement is limited, suffering a -3 Speed penalty while in this Stance.
"I believe we should start with your stance. You hold yourself with broad shoulders and step with a heavy foot. However, your hands are not used to holding tools while you're in an aggressive state. For archery, or in your case stone throwing, you'll wish to stand much more tall and shoulders back, constantly primed for a rotational motion. It'll be a practiced motion you'll do a thousand times as opposed to your more improvised movements that come from instinctual drive."

Katsu looked at Varu for a second and raised an eyebrow, hands on her hips.

"Could you say that with any more words?"

Varu sighed. "In fact I could. But I shall simplify for you. You will need to remove your primal urge to move and strike with wild tactics. Stand planted and hold your shoulders always ready to throw. This will allow you to keep pressure while keeping range. You will also need to use one or both of your hands to hold your stones to "reload" faster."

Katsu snorted as if insulted but understood the message. She attempted to replicate the stance he had mentioned, holding her shoulders back and feigning having a rock in her off hand. However, Varu still saw sloppiness in the core and foot placement. He approached as if teaching a child and attempted to kick her feet into proper placement, finding it like kicking a building's support. After slyly trying not to show his toe was now throbbing. However, Katsu got the idea and began to allow him to move her. He straightened her back and widened her footing, pushing out her hips shit slightly and positioning her arm as if to cradle the stones rather than grip a single one.

"I believe this is the stance that would best serve you. Now sit."

Katsu did as told and sat upon the ground relaxed.

"Assume position NOW."

Katsu made to spring up and regain her stance but Varu shook his head. She had nearly slipped upon the sand in her sloppy rise. To prove this point he had her sit again, repeating the process. This time, seeing her foot move far too wide he drew his knife and made as if to move on her. Her response was to lower into a pounce instantly, causing him to drop the knife.

"A more physically capable foe than myself would see your sloppiness and pounce in your weakest movement. I merely wished to illustrate this fact. You have your wings and tail. Use them to aid in your stability from the rise."

Katsu and Varu drilled the technique for another ten minutes. Once he was satisfied she had it, they moved on.
Jutsu TrainedShow
*[Flawless Aim Style • Rapid Reload]
D-Rank Taijutsu Discipline
After years of training, the practitioner has learned how to quickly and accurately access their ranged weapon stores at all times in combat. This cuts the effective "reload" time by half, up to a maximum speed equal to the practitioner's Speed score. This also applies to returning unused projectiles to their storage containers or switching between types of projectile weaponry.
"Now, with your specific weapon this technique might take a bit of modification. A ranger is only as fast as the time between their shots. In my case, I have practiced how to draw my arrow and knock it within the span of a single heartbeat. While I have no doubt you are more than capable of grabbing a stone from the ground within the same span creating the stones as you do would slow you down should none be readily available. How do you propose we remedy this?"

Katsu lounged back upon her wings and tail as a makeshift chair. She looked down upon the ground and saw the earth was not really great for such a task. However, something did come to her mind. Dreading what would need happen next she winced for a second and then knuckled down. Her torso began to rumble as the flesh pulsate beneath her arms. In an instant she began to growl as the skin ripped and sundered, allowing two new arms to emerge. Varu, having recognized what was to come had turned his back, not wishing to see such a thing so soon. However, once they were formed and Katsu's growling began to subside he turned to witness her digging in the dirt, creating a pile of mud and clay.

"I believe I see your plan. I wish to see it in practice."

Without word Katsu looked at her pile and was satisfied. She began to mold the clay as rapidly as she could into many stones and place them in a pile. Once she had about fourty of them she began to place as many as she could withing a cradle made from her bottom set of arms. The rest she placed in a fold in her wings. Varu, seeing this nodded and pointed at the wall.

"As fast as you can, throw them all one at a time."

Assuming the stance Varu had taught her she began to hurl the new rocks extremely quickly, running out in less than ten seconds and throwing the last four simultaneously. However, Varu noticed she had nearly dropped a couple of them while acting. Once more he had her make the stones and this time adjusted how she piled them into her arms, not locking her hands together and allowing them to form a basket. He also demonstrated how the motion from throw, to grab, to ready, to launch would need to be a more full circular motion. After another ten minutes of practice, Katsu seemed to have gotten the concept down fairly well.

"That should work."

"Crude, but I believe you may be right. Moving on."
Jutsu TrainedShow
*[Flawless Aim Style • Tracking]
After much training and study, the practitioner has learned how to read an opponent's movements and adjust their aim accordingly to compensate without penalty. This Discipline allows the practitioner to accurately hit moving targets, though sudden changes in the opponent's movements will still affect accuracy.
"Now that you have your basic stance and throwing under control we'll need to work on your aim. You may be able to hit the broad side of a building with no issues but a moving target may prove much more difficult. For this we'll need a volunteer. Preferably one that could take the pelting you're about to give them. In such a case I've enlisted the aid of your partners, the Shaman Arsa and your dragon. He took little convincing. If you look far in the distance I'm sure you'll notice he's already taken up position to fly. I want you to hit him with no less than five rocks consecutively. If you're having trouble we'll move him progressively closer. And Arsa will maintain him should he fly outside the area of his ability."

Katsu just nodded at the man and began to assemble her rock collection in her lower arms. Wordlessly the mountain began to rise into the skies and Katsu took aim with one of her rocks. It went sailing through the skies but missed by at least three of his body lengths. After several more attempts and failures she grew slightly frustrated and looked towards her instructor. Varu merely nodded and told her to persist, figuring it out for herself. After roughly two dozen more attempts she finally managed to land a strike against his hide, only noticing by the slight dip in his flight. With Varu's encouragement she continued but was unable to hit more than two consecutively.

"The rock is your arm and you're attempting to grasp a target that is in motion. Would you grab them where they stand or attempt to predict where they may be?"

Understanding but still being annoyed she adjusted and aimed significantly ahead of where the great dragon would be in his path. She managed to land three stones before he dove under the fourth. Agitated, she dug her hands into the earth and hoisted a mighty boulder from it's bussom, hurling it at the dragon. Kori had apparently caught it with his teeth and crushed it, launching a gout of flame that never reached her. Enjoying the idea and challenge she made several more of the massive rocks and hurled them at the arrogant lizard. Four of which struck true. The fifth she didn't bother with the overly large projectile but instead picked a smaller pebble and launched it as hard as she could. Kori, weary from the barrage felt the pebble rip through his wing before flying off.

"Fucking sarcastic bastard got nailed."

"Indeed he did. You'll need more practice but I believe this will suffice for the time being. Let's continue."
Jutsu TrainedShow
*[Flawless Aim Style • Dead Angle Targeting]
After much training and study, the practitioner has learned how to use projectiles at close range, even point-blank range, with the same Strength as attacks against more distant targets. This Discipline allows the practitioner to use Flawless Aim techniques against melee-range targets without excessive exposure to counterattack and without losing Speed, Strength, or accuracy.
"Now, miss Katsu, you have the basics of ranged combat understood. You should practice at length to master these steps. However, you are a quick study and the day is young. We shall progress into other tactics. While I'm sure this would be less than necessary for one as physically dominant as yourself I would teach you how to use a projectile while close combat in joined."

Katsu looked at him incredulously. "The fuck why?"

"There may come a situation where your adversary is upon you but you still wish to keep them out of your direct contact. In my times with your dad there was many a time we faced individuals who used fire and lightning magics. A common trick was to sheath themselves in a veil of it as to harm us as we would move on them. I'm sure you're familiar with such training. And even if your might could overtake these tactics, sometimes it is prudent to work around a problem rather than through it."

Katsu let out a growl of frustration, causing the man to nervously look up at her and shift a foot as if to run. However, he held his ground against better judgement. Eventually she sighed and relented, giving the indication he should proceed.

"Now, accuracy isn't the problem in such a close range. The issue is power. If you do not have enough space to swing your shoulder you're unable to properly throw your rock. However, there is a simple trick to solving this and I'd be astonished if you don't already see it."

"Don't fucking throw it overhead. Come from the side or under. Or shit, I could use my tail."

"Precisely. You may also wish to lean your body backwards to get the precious inches you'll need for the full wind up. You may also take more power from your elbow and wrist as opposed to strictly the shoulder and core. This may not be ideal, but it is effective."

"This seems like common sense, even to me."

"It really is, but you'd be surprised how many novices struggle with the concept. Granted, many of them use bows or other such tools. I am comparing your technique more to a thrown knife with less finesse or a lobbed javalin. And even there many get hung up."

"Alright, let me do it a couple times I guess just so we can move on to something more useful."

Katsu grabbed a few of her made stockpile of stones and got closer to the wall, attempting to almost place her nose against it. She began throwing the rocks from various different angles to get the feel for the movement before looking back over to Varu.

"Very well. Let's move on."
Jutsu LearnedShow
*[Flawless Aim Style • Repeater Shot]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
Preparing multiple projectiles, the practitioner launches each of the projectiles at one or more targets. For each target beyond the first, the accuracy of each of the attacks is decreased, suffering a -1 Strength penalty for each additional target.
"Now, this next one should be far more appreciated for your expanding skill set. You have a focus on single combat. You may be able to handle an army as you demonstrated in exacting fashion but those were far your lesser in martial ability. I wish to instruct you on how to target multiple foes simultaneously. This is not difficult in theory, but takes practice to get your aim in. And throwing at walls or your companions simply won't due. I have set up several targets on rope in the distance."

Varu went over to the wall that was now cracking and had a few more holes than it had started with. He retrieved a rope and pulled it taught, allowing several steel targets to be lifted up into sight. They were not spaced equally apart to add an extra complexity to the problem. Thankfully, they were all in the same general direction.

"Now, you may wish to throw a stone at each of these targets one by one. Should they be moving as an enemy would this may work. However, the reason for a simultaneous shot is two fold. Even with your great speed there may not be time to throw several consecutive shots. You may also wish to surprise one or more of your targets by hitting them with the first of your attacks, reducing their time to respond and move out of the way. I am not holding this rope tightly, but I can feel everything on the other side. I will know if you truly struck them all with a single attack. Take as much time as you need."

Katsu began to pick up the rubble that had been chipped off the wall that was her target and cradled them as before. However, a cheeky idea came to mind. There were four targets, and she had four arms. Taking a stone in each hand she lobbed them all at once, only striking one target.

"Again."

Several times Katsu did the exact thing, finding it difficult to aim four throws at once. Each time Varu would only say again. Eventually she began to get frustrated and look at him, to which he merely cocked his head towards the targets. It took ten minutes for the woman to finally begin to hone in her aim. By the time she did she'd begun to realize part of the problem. . . She was attempting to keep track of too many targets. Another ten minutes passed and finally she hit them all, letting out a woop of triumph. However, Varu simply told her to reposition and do it again, causing her to miss all but one again.

"Try one hand, release in a line. You can practice your four armed technique later."

Katsu did as instructed, hitting two of the targets on her first try. After another ten minutes she had hit them all simultaneously. However, Varu called for her to do it again, and again, and again. He wasn't happy until she had done the task five times in a row, then moved and done it again, for five cycles. It took an hour, but she eventually accomplished the task.

"Good, let's move on."
*[bShow
[Flawless Aim Style • Arcing Shot][/b]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
The practitioner can launch projectiles in arcs up and over most obstacles, being able to accurately hit a target that is behind obstructions as if they were in the open. The practitioner must still be able to locate their target by some other means to ensure the projectile will hit its target.
"Now, you are able to strike a target, a moving target, and multiple targets. The next step is being able to strike a target around cover. There are a few methods of achieving this depending on the cover. However, the most common would be going over it as many times it will be a hill."

"Could go through it."

"And negotiate your weapon being thrown off course by any number of things that could be within, or weakening its power by the durability of their defense. There are many reasons one wishes to think around a problem, miss Katsu. Brute force is effective but lateral tactics are far more efficient. And also think with your great strength. A projectile will travel far with your straight throw but you could thread a needle across a country with an arc."

"Know what, fair enough. Problem, how am I supposed to hit them if I don't know where they're at."

"I'm sure you have many means of locating an enemy. However, this steel target is not a human or other beast. Watch."

Varu took two pieces of wire and tapped them against each other, causing a light spark that seemed to ignite something far in the distance over a hill. A brilliant firework launched high into the air and burst into white light.

"Now you know. Hit it and we shall hear your success. Five in a row."

Katsu nailed the target true on the first attempt she made, grinning with pride. However, the following dozen had missed the mark. Once she adjusted she heard the ringing of steel once more and zeroed in her aim. It was only fifteen minutes and she had rung the target a half dozen times.

"Very good, miss Katsu. We shall move forward."
Jutsu LearnedShow
*[Flawless Aim Style • Bouncing Shot]
D-Rank Taijutsu Maneuver
The practitioner launches a projectile at a shallow angle, targeting the ground or a hard surface. The shallow angle of the shot causes the projectile to bounce off of the surface, moving at -1 Speed and striking with -1 Strength after the bounce. This technique can be used to launch an attack from an unexpected angle or to shoot around, over, or under obstacles.

Return to “Other Countries”