What I've Done

ThatGuy & ThatMoose

Amy

What I've Done

Post by Amy » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:51 pm

Run away with me?

Tsubaki dropped in front of Shirai as he was walking back to the med tent. Without dropping her eyes from his she caught the random array of items he dropped out of surprise, bundling them into her own arms. It wasn’t the first time that she had asked him that recently and though it had started off as a complete joke it was starting to sound more and more serious every time the words came out of her mouth.

The camp had been a ticking time bomb of stress the past couple of weeks, ever since Akio had found Shirai in Tsubaki’s tent, Tsubaki in Shirai’s shirt, and that the whole camp except for him knew about it. Convinced by Isobe to keep the peace, Tsubaki had remained in her tent for a few days after the whole thing went down. Isobe brought her food and the members of the crew would make a habit of sitting near her tent so they could keep up a conversation, but it got real old real fast. Tsubaki did not enjoy feeling trapped and by the third day she was ready to leave one way or another.

Luckily, Akio hadn’t waited any longer than that to come and talk to her. The look he carried on his face made it very clear he was still pissed at here. He had made it clear, very clear, that he did not approve, would not approve, and would probably never approve. But he also relented to the fact that he couldn’t keep her in her tent and he couldn’t stop them from dating each other. So, the one rule he laid out was simple: Keep their relationship away from Akio’s eyes and he wouldn’t bring it up. Which meant that everything was pretty much back to the way it was before, sneaking around behind his back. Of course, it was a little more fun now. Sneaking kisses literally right behind his back. Holding hands if they were walking behind him. Akio knew, too. They could see it in his eyes when he turned around to glare at them. But until they got caught, there was nothing he could do.

That didn’t mean it wasn’t exhausting though. It was clearly written on Tsubaki’s face how much of a toll this whole thing was taking on her. There were dark bags under her eyes, her steps dragging just a little more than usual. She wasn’t used to this here, this kind of tension. This was how it used to be and it was exhausting to live in every day. But it was worth it, she told herself. To be honest, Tsubaki just didn’t realize why her happiness always had to come at such a high price. Why it always seemed like she had to choose one or the other. Falling into step side by side with Shirai, she grew silent for a moment after her comment. Even witty banter was hard these days.

Do you think he’ll ever come around? Even when you and I aren’t together he barely talks to me. Hell, he barely looks at me. I know he’s mad but this seems excessive. I’m not doing anything wrong.

Tsubaki’s voice was thick with emotion and she knew that Shirai wouldn’t have any answers for her. They had had this same conversation in different forms, every day for the past two weeks. They always lamented the situation, hoped for change, but never could figure out any way to fix it. To them, a couple of kids in love, this all seemed like a very heavy price to pay for happiness.
My CharactersShow
B-Rank MNKatō, Tsubaki #A32638
Sp. Jounin • Kirigakure no Sato • Araki Kiyo #DDA0DD
Akibushi • Heart Empire • Kimura, Misaki #FF80BF
Genin • Iwagakure no Sato • Kazuma #00BF80

ThatGuy

What I've Done

Post by ThatGuy » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:38 am

Shirai thought he’d be used to his ninja girlfriend jumping out of nowhere by now. It was starting to look like he never would, as he accidentally spilled the medical supplies he was carrying. He couldn’t help but smile, though. The boy was so happy that Tsubaki wasn’t locked up in her tent anymore, that was pretty low, even for Akio. Though it did make things kind of exciting, it was now a forbidden love. It definitely made sneaking around a lot more fun now that Akio actually knew. But at the same time, it meant he didn’t get to spend as much time with her as he’d like.

"I think we’d just be proving Akio right if we did. I’d be the dastardly villain who ran off with the fair maiden. Oh! New roleplay idea!"

The boy snickered as he hoped that his joke would get Tsubaki to do the same. He wanted to keep the mood light, but she didn’t seem to respond. Shirai hated seeing her like this. Sure, he understood that Akio was just trying to protect her, but there was a fine line between concern and control, and Akio had long since crossed it. In fact, he didn’t even seem to know it existed. It was frustrating knowing that there was nothing they could do. There was no talking to Akio, and it’s not like anyone else in camp was capable of knocking some sense into him. Did the man even realize how much of a childish bully he sounded like?

There it was again, they were both back on the topic of Akio. Shirai wished he had answers for her, he wished he could fix it, but instead they just had to play the waiting game. With a sigh, he tried to give her a satisfying answer, knowing that he’d fall short.

"Akio… He’ll forgive you, not that there’s anything to forgive. Most of his anger is directed at me. In his eyes, I’m just a horny teenager trying to take advantage of you, and I don’t exactly make it easy for him to think otherwise. It shows that he’s concerned about you, but he’s acting like a complete idiot. It’s one thing to hate me, but what’s the point in giving you the cold shoulder? I know he’ll never forgive me, I just don’t see him ever coming around. At this point, we could show him definitive proof of our love, and he’d just deny it. The bastard gets so irrationally angry, and it’s just… stupid."

Shirai took a quick look around for Akio. It was annoying that he had to do that even when they were alone. Once he knew the coast was clear, he wrapped his arms around Tsubaki and pulled her in for a hug. After kissing her on the forehead, he spoke once more.

"I’m sorry you have to put up with the big idiot."

Holding her tightly in his arms, he lingered for a moment before slowly loosening his grip. It wasn’t much, but he hoped that Tsubaki would feel a little bit better. After picking up the supplies, he made his way to the med tent and dropped them off. Turning back to Tsubaki, he wondered if she was eating well given the circumstances.

"Hungry? It’s about that time"

It was wishful thinking, but he hoped that Tsubaki would benefit from some more time with the crew. Pretty much everyone in the camp was sympathetic to Tsubaki’s current situation. Maybe… Just maybe, the crew would find the courage to tell Akio that he needs to quit being so irrational.
CharactersShow
Itotsuki, Abari Kirigakure Chuunin [color=#80a0ff]
Akio B-rank Other Countries [color=#ee4a2d]
Nara, Daisuke D-Rank Missing nin [color=#E4EC32]
Kisama, Yutaka Heart Empire Akibushi [color=#BF0000]
Akari, Touji Iwagakure Genin [color=#C0C0C0]

Amy

What I've Done

Post by Amy » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:35 pm

And this was the side of Shirai that no one else saw. The boy who saw through the masks that she wore, the boy who saw all the sides of herself that she kept hidden away. The boy who knew that she was struggling and that she was just doing the best that she could. No one saw the way he tried desperately to cheer her up, to find any amount of joy to shower her in. It wasn’t always successful, but he never gave up and that alone meant more than anything. And when he failed, he still held her close and made her feel loved. But Akio couldn’t see it because he refused to. Literally and figuratively. She tried to pat Shirai’s head in front of him a single time and he about bit her hand off.

His words did bring her some amount of peace but it wasn’t much, enough to bring a small smile to her face. She didn’t have the heart or the energy to respond to him so she simply focused on the last thing he said. The only thing that was easy to deal with. “Not really, honestly, but I haven’t eaten yet today so might as well go see what they cooked up. Piggy back ride?

Even when she was feeling so down, she couldn’t help but try to be as close to him as possible, his warmth bringing her so much comfort. Plus, everyone including Akio was pretty used to seeing him carry her around as she had been making him do it well before they were dating. Shirai ,of course, obliged and squatted down slightly so that she could hop right up. Wrapping her arms warmly around his shoulders, her legs hooked around his hips, Tsubaki sighed happily and rested her cheek against Shirai’s back. His gait wasn’t anywhere near as smooth as Akio’s gait was which was weird considering how large the giant man was. But it was nice all the same. Familiar. And that was something that had always been lacking from her life. Something familiar.

The silence that existed between them was slowly interrupted by the sounds of the crew sitting around the fire. They were always so loud. Tsubaki wanted to be annoyed by it, by the obnoxious laughing and the joshing and the random shouting. But it sounded like home to her. It was comforting to be able to hear them from so far away. It was like...a beacon in the storm. Well, it usually was anyways. Sitting at the head of the circle, as much as one could anyways, was a huge obstacle. Literally. Things hadn’t been right between them for so long and they just seemed to keep getting worse. No conversations. No...just…Her feet hit the ground with a thump. Taking a deep breath, she smiled at Shirai and kissed him gently before they continued walking side by side into the camp, close but not touching.

For a second, there was a lull in the noise. Everyone looked up between the two of them and Akio who was staring diligently at the fire and ignoring them. But as they sat down, the conversation picked back up again, the crew doing their best to keep things normal. Tsubaki sat while Shirai gathered food for her, unable to stop herself from glancing at the empty spot to Akio’s left. Her spot, where she always used to sit. It started because she was so scared of the rest of the crew but then it was just...her spot. Not anymore. It was...slightly comforting that nobody else sat there in her place. She wondered if it was because Akio forbade it or if everyone was scared to even test it.

The only thing missing from the fire was Koukai and he was not missed. He had been smug ever since the big fight. The fact that Akio was treating her like the lowest person on the totem around camp pleased Koukai more than Tsubaki had ever seen anything please him before. All of the snide, passing comments. The smirks, grins, and chuckles. He was just waiting for the bomb to explode now. He didn’t even have to do anything anymore. Tsubaki was ruining everything all on her own with a little sprinkle of help from Akio himself.

Thank you," Tsubaki mumbled to Shirai when he put the food on her lap. It was nice, but Koukai hadn’t been away from camp for weeks. He hadn’t missed a single meal or spent a night away since the fight. And not only was he gone but so was the rest of his small, loyal posse. It wasn’t weird necessarily, they went everywhere together. And yet…

Do you know where Koukai went?
My CharactersShow

ThatGuy

What I've Done

Post by ThatGuy » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:30 pm

Koukai must have looked crazy to your average passerby. Instead of his normal calm and composed self, the man wasn’t able to control his laughter. It was just too good! He had found the perfect street rat for that bitch Tsubaki’s initiation. All the pieces were falling into place. Would the innocent girl really be able to go through with it? Would Akio forbid it? Koukai had enough henchmen in the crew to start unrest if he tried, and if Tsubaki refused, he’d plant the seeds of distrust. It was the perfect plan, and the cherry on top was Tsubaki asking about him just before he arrived.

"I’ve been talking with the crew, and most of us think it’s time for Tsubaki to go through the initiation."

Akio leapt from his seat at the fire and looked like he was about to say something, but most of the crew spoke first. Some insisted that Tsubaki was a special case, while others claimed that she wouldn't really be one of them until she did.

"The rest of us have been through this scarring process. Why is she the exception? I find it awfully coincidental that the two members who haven’t gone through the initiation have caused the most trouble."

Thankfully, a few members of the crew were able to convince Akio not to kill Koukai. Obviously, he was talking about Shirai and Tsubaki. While it was true that their most recent troubles involved those two, it wasn’t their fault.

"Didja ferget she saved m’life? I’d say that’s pretty fucking loyal."

There was murmuring throughout the crew. Shirai did not like where this was going. He’d heard a bit about the initiation process. Not enough to know what it was, but more than enough to know he didn’t want Tsubaki to go through it. He had to say something.

"So we’re all just going to listen to the psychopath who was caught torturing people?"

Koukai scoffed at the boy’s words, but on the inside he was laughing. They were playing right into his hands, and they didn’t even realize it.

"What I did, I did for the crew. It’s disgusting work, and it doesn’t sit well with me, but I’m able to endure it because I went through the initiation. I’ve given my life to the crew, and on that day I decided to become the necessary evil. This isn’t me trying to get Tsubaki kicked out, this is me trying to make sure she grows."

He went a little too far with his last couple of sentences. Most people rolled their eyes in response, but some members were starting to see his point. Slowly but surely, the side against Tsubaki doing the initiation got quieter. This wasn’t going to end well for her. What could Shirai do?
CharactersShow

Amy

What I've Done

Post by Amy » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:24 pm

Tsubaki found herself oddly calm when Koukai spoke up behind her. Even as the camp erupted into chaos she found herself still and quiet. This was no surprise for her, she had known that Koukai was planning something to take advantage of the unrest that rippled through the camp. From the moment she had stepped foot into the camp he had hated her. She had never believed his lies or the fake smiles or the pretend concern. Then there were all the terrible things she had caught him doing red handed. Not least of all, the time she almost got sold back to Kumo - it was hard to believe he was innocent in that. And since that hadn’t worked, he had moved onto his next scheme finally.

The words that flooded around her didn’t settle into her brain, passing in one ear and out the next. A low buzz had started in her ears and it made it awfully hard to focus on any one person’s voice. She had known this day was coming, eventually, but ‘eventually’ was such a funny word. Eventually could be days or months or weeks or really, years past a certain point and she had always thought of the initiation as years and years away. Maybe so far into the future the practice was no longer around. After all, Akio didn’t really want her to do it, she didn’t think so. After she told him that she wanted to do it, he had never brought it up again. Of course Koukai hadn’t forgotten. And he wasn’t letting it go either.

Absent-mindedly, Tsubaki reached for Shirai’s hand. Her form was the only one that remained sitting and it stayed that way even as things got heated. Not even when some of the crew started to agree with Koukai did she stand. Years of running and being scared and hiding from everything that she could had taken its toll on her and she just couldn’t do it anymore. She was tired of running and pretending like she was fine doing it. She wasn’t fine. Not with any of this. Not with the arguing, not with the way Akio was acting, and not with the initiation. But she wasn’t going to keep giving people an excuse to treat her as though she was fragile. She wasn’t going to keep appearing weak. Maybe that was why Akio treated her the way he did. She wasn’t going to keep causing people to look at her like she didn’t know what she was doing, like she couldn’t take care of herself.

Before Shirai could speak again, Tsubaki stood up, drawing the attention of the entire camp. She didn’t speak at first, instead looking at Shirai and smiling softly, releasing his hand. Her eyes traveled over the crew, looking at each and every man. Seeing compassion in some eyes, satisfaction in others. Worry in Isobe’s eyes. And then finally she landed on Akio. Anger was apparent. He was always angry lately. But there was something else there when their eyes met. She just couldn’t place what it was. But it was his gaze she held the longest as emotion battered at the wall around her heart. Frantically she kept building it higher and higher so that they couldn’t reach her. Could he tell, she wondered to herself. Could he see how good she could be at shutting it all out?

Lastly, she turned to Koukai, taking a step towards him over the log she was sitting on. Picking out the enjoyment in his face as he easily met her gaze. He knew exactly what he was doing. She knew exactly what he was hoping to accomplish with this little stunt. Either she would do it and be broken and he would be able to walk all over her. Or she wouldn’t be able to and Akio would have to kick her out to save face with the crew. He couldn’t forgive her for failing in this and then let her stay. But she was going to ruin this for Koukai like he had ruined so many things for her. He was going to regret this. Probably not today, and probably not soon. But Tsubaki knew that this would be the beginning of his downfall. And she hoped that he could see that in her eyes as she stared him down.

Let’s get it over with then.
My CharactersShow

ThatGuy

What I've Done

Post by ThatGuy » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:10 pm

All the yelling and screaming died down as Tsubaki stood up, eventually coming to a complete halt as she spoke. Not liking where this was going, Akio was quick to try and interfere.

"Tsubaki ya don't got-"

"Tsubaki is a grown woman who can decide for herself, and in case you've forgotten, she's been living with bandits for the last year or so. I'm just trying to make sure she's officially welcomed to the family."

Akio gritted his teeth as he was interrupted. Koukai was getting daring, did he really think the giant wouldn't kill him? Did Koukai really think his anger wouldn't outweigh his responsibilities as a leader? Isobe put an arm on Akio's shoulder and whispered something into the man's ear. With a sigh, the boy looked up and over at Koukai.

"Lemme guess, ya've already got everythin' prepared."

Koukai had to hold back his smile. The giant had finally relented. Now it was time for that brat, Tsubaki to get what she deserved.

"I have everything set up in a tent outside of the camp. Tsubaki, if you will."

The man gestured for Tsubaki to follow. Akio was not far behind, practically stomping with each step.

"I'm going too"

Akio gestured for Shirai to stop, shaking his head at the boy. The giant still didn't trust the boy, but it was admirable that he wanted to be there for her.

"Only me 'n Tsubaki are goin'. Koukai will be there as a neutral party. Other'n that, no one is allowed in the tent, got it?"

The giant didn't wait for an answer. He hated the fact that Tsubaki was going through this. He hated doing this. But what choice did he have? After an awkwardly quiet walk in the woods, the tent that Koukai mentioned could be seen in the distance. Akio and the green haired man both stopped in their tracks.

"Tsubaki, why don’t ya head on in without us? We’ll be there in a second. I gotta talk to Koukai about a couple of things first."

Koukai waited for Tsubaki to leave before filling Akio in on the details. Inside the tent, Tsubaki would find a girl not much younger than her. She was unharmed but unconscious and tied to a chair. Akio was sure that things were going to be confusing for Tsubaki, he just hoped she could forgive him when it was all over.
CharactersShow

Amy

What I've Done

Post by Amy » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:56 pm

It was certainly odd, Tsubaki thought to herself. She had been through a lot of things in her lifetime. There had been some good times, obviously, but she had been through a lot of bad times especially when considering how little time she had spent out in the real world. But nothing had ever left her feeling the level of disconnect she felt as they walked towards Koukai’s tent. There were so many possible feelings to keep her grounded. Anger, at this being sprung on her, by Koukai nonetheless. Fear, at what she was about to do, at what she was about to become. Uncertainty, anxiety, and even a thread of excitement. But none were tangible enough for her to grab onto. They drifted along her consciousness, close enough she knew they were there but not so close she could truly feel them. There was only stark emptiness that made the voices around her distant and hollow. She was sure that it was important, whatever they were saying - how could it not be in this situation. But it also couldn’t possibly matter. No matter what they said it didn’t really change anything.

With everything in slow motion it felt like Tsubaki had hours to stare at the girl in front of her, only briefly realizing she didn’t remember entering the tent. The girl was small, but not in the same way she was. Tsubaki was short but the word “petite” would never, could never, be used to describe her. But this girl, she had a frailty about her that told more of her background than any words ever could. The worry lines that worked their way between her eyes even through the depths of unconsciousness. The broken nails and dirt ground so far beneath the beds that it would take weeks to scrub out. The way the outlines of bones showed through where they shouldn’t. The dirt caked, torn clothing and shoeless feet, only served to solidify everything Tsubaki thought about the girl. She wasn’t from any rich home, or likely a home at all. Seeing the girl in front of her had slowly started Tsubaki’s world spinning again and she remembered a very important part of the ritual. The person had to be someone who mirrored the member.

The girl was likely a runaway.

It was with great pride that Tsubaki swallowed the bile that rose in her throat as realization finally set in and set in hard. This life, fragile and broken as it might be, was about to be taken away. A life that could flourish in the right circumstance, with the right help, was about to be cut off. Cruelly snuffed out without care for what was really being taken away. It was doubtful that the girl had ever done anything more evil than steal food to keep herself alive but here, in this moment, that didn’t matter. It didn’t matter that she might have family somewhere looking for her, loving her. Or that there might be someone out there who would forever miss the girl he never met. Here, it only mattered what she was in the exact moment. She was someone that no one else would miss enough to be a threat. Someone who fit a mold that Tsubaki had created to be filled.

Everything was much more difficult when it was right in front of you.

There was so much that Tsubaki hadn’t even considered. She had never once thought of how she would do it. She could make it painless, she knew. The girl could be dead before she even woke up but that was too easy, she knew they would never let her do that. There would be no torture, not for the girl anyways, she could never go that far. For Tsubaki though, she was already pretty sure these nightmares would be worse than anything else she had experienced before. Worse than anything else she could imagine. It was one thing when horrors were forced upon you.

Entirely different when you were the one bringing the horror upon yourself.
Last edited by Amy on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My CharactersShow

ThatGuy

What I've Done

Post by ThatGuy » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:42 am

Akio decided to give Tsubaki a moment alone before entering the tent. Koukai had informed him of everything. The girl whose life would be ended was a runaway, he didn’t know anything more than that. Honestly, he didn’t want to. A name or a reason for her running away would just open the doors for further regret. Leave it to that bastard Koukai to find the perfect candidate. With a sigh, Akio entered the tent.

The first one to do anything upon entering was Koukai, who wasted no time getting things prepared. Tsubaki and Akio both saw through his mask of innocence, but something was off. For the first time ever, Akio started to feel fear towards Koukai. This was a man he could snap like a twig, but there was something about the way he moved around in the tent that made him intimidating. He moved about with the same precision and finesse that Shirai and Tsubaki did in the med tent. They had seen the aftermath of what Koukai did to people in a tent like this… it made the giant’s skin crawl. There was something far more pressing at hand, however.

"Tsubaki, I wish it didn’t have to come to this… Today is the day that you prove your loyalty to the crew. Kill your former self and sign the contract in their blood. Should you manage this, no one will be able to question your loyalty, but know that if you ever betray the crew… a fate worse than death awaits you. This girl is a runaway, it could easily have been you tied to that chair. I lie to myself and others when I say we’re one big happy family. We’re criminals… monsters. I didn’t want this for you, but if you’ve made your decision, there’s nothing I can say to stop you. So kill the weakness inside of you and emerge a monster, like me and everyone else in the crew.

After finishing his speech, Akio gave Koukai a nod, signaling him to wake the girl up. The green haired bandit snapped something in front of the girl’s face that caused her to wake up. She took one look at her surroundings and immediately began flailing about in her chair. Koukai handed Tsubaki a knife, and both men stepped back. The men both stepped back as the tent filled with the cries of the captive. Neither of them said a word, they simply looked at Tsubaki and waited.
CharactersShow

Amy

What I've Done

Post by Amy » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:50 am

If she was going to get through this, it had to be only Tsubaki and the girl. She didn’t know how everyone else went about this and she didn’t care either. Maybe it was easier for some than others. Maybe a history of killing made this moment easy or maybe it didn’t, she didn’t know. She had never asked anyone about their initiation. Did most just stab them or slit their throat and be done with it? Did they cry? Did they stand there, debating with themselves for hours, on whether or not it was worth it? And more importantly, did any of the answers to those questions matter? She didn’t think so. Tsubaki was sure, as screams filled the tent, that the only things that mattered were her and the girl.

It was almost comical how soft Tsubaki’s hand looked pressed against the face of the small, young girl, her cries quieting down as she focused on Tsubaki. Someone who probably seemed safe to the young girl. Tsubaki stood there silently until the girl had calmed down enough to where she could breathe easier, to where she could speak. It was only then that Tsubaki removed her hand. But still, she only stared at the girl who was now staring back at her. Koukai hadn’t gotten everything right. This girl’s eyes were blue, like the deepest parts of the ocean. The tears made them appear never ending. It was something to remember.

What’s your name?

Tsubaki’s voice was calm, controlled. But it wasn’t really her. The voice belonged to someone who was hollow on the inside. Someone who had already accepted a fate they didn’t want. Someone who was putting themselves through more pain than they were made to handle.

A-Airi,” the girl spoke in a shaking voice. Doused with fear, soaked in despair. Nobody woke up tied to a chair, staring at someone with a knife, and expected things to go in their favor.

How old are you, Airi?

The poor soon to be official crew member could feel the gazes of the men who stood slightly behind her. Were they confused? Was this odd behavior for the event she was participating in? Probably, but Tsubaki didn’t care anymore. She wasn’t going to let this girl go without someone left to remember her and since there was no way to know if anyone else in the world would, she would have to take that responsibility onto herself..

I’m fourteen...why am I here?! Please let me go!

How many times had Tsubaki heard that same desperation in her own voice? The desire to live was strong, it was primal. And it was a choice that had been taken away from this girl. Keeping her face kind but passive, Tsubaki squatted slightly so that she was looking the girl in the eyes. Becoming more and more detached with every second, her skin starting to feel like it might fall off of her at any moment.

Airi, my name is Tsubaki. I’m not going to let you go, I’m sorry. I’m not going to lie to you and tell you that everything is going to be ok, but I’m going to do everything that I can to make this easy on you. Do you have someone that you love?

Tsubaki knew that she was making an already impossible task harder on herself She could feel it in the way her heart crumbled moment by moment. But she had to do this her way. She was drowning and looking for any sense of control she could find. The girl was sobbing again, shaking, half-heartedly trying to pull free from ropes she knew she could never escape.

Y-y-yes, his name is-

Tsubaki placed her hand over the girl’s mouth so that she couldn’t finish her sentence. She remembered what it was like to hear Shirai’s voice in her head when she thought she was going to die. How it had reached her and calmed her.

Don’t tell me. But I want you to think about him. About the way his voice sounds. If he’s touched you, the way his hands feel on you. Focus on that.

The girl only sobbed harder but she stopped thrashing as much. Tsubaki moved behind her, staring down at a life that could have been hers. Lost, lonely, no one to save her. Because Tsubaki had been in this girl’s place. But she had Akio and Shirai to save her then. Nobody was coming to save this girl. Quietly, Tsubaki placed her hand over the girl’s eyes, only looking down at her, not at the men. She couldn’t look at them. Not now. She would lose any sense of composure that she held.

It wasn’t her place to take this life. What sort of cruel, sick universe puts people who are so much the same in opposite situations. Why did she get better opportunities than Airi did?

Are you thinking about him, Airi?

Tsubaki’s hand was still over the girl’s eyes and at the question the sobbing only increased. Tsubaki wanted to join in but she couldn’t let herself. This was her choice. Her decision. She didn’t get to cry about it. She didn’t deserve to cry because she was making a horrible choice that would haunt her for the rest of her life. But when Airi nodded and the sobbing continued at a steady pace, Tsubaki knew she couldn’t wait any longer. If she dragged this out too far, too long, she would lose her ability to do it.

Calmly, Tsubaki brought the knife to the girl’s neck, not letting it touch her skin until she had steadied her hand so that the girl wouldn’t be alerted. The girl was still sobbing, muffled underneath pleas of survival. Questions of why her. But the time answers would never come for the girl. In a fast, sharp, clinical movement, Tsubaki drew the knife across the girl’s neck. She cut deep, far deeper than necessary, to ensure that the girl would die almost immediately. It would be a moment of shock and then she would be dead before she truly felt any pain. But for minutes after, Tsubaki kept her hand over the girl’s eyes. She waited until she knew for sure. Until the thick puddling of blood turned into a quiet drip.

And then, after she was sure, Tsubaki started moving again. Not speaking, not crying, barely breathing. Using the knife she cut the binds that held the girl to the chair. Maybe Akio tried to stop her, maybe he didn’t but either way she couldn’t be stopped. She had to do this. Stepping in front of the girl, she picked her up softly, holding Airi against her chest, blood soaking into Tsubaki’s clothes though she barely noticed. She turned and stopped in front of Akio, shoving the knife against his chest, staring up at him with empty eyes until he took hold of it. And without speaking still, she walked out of the tent and into the woods, the dead girl cradled against her.
My CharactersShow

ThatGuy

What I've Done

Post by ThatGuy » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:27 am

Akio shook his head when Tsubaki started talking to the runaway. Damn it, girl, you’re only making it harder on yourself. Everyone’s initiation went differently. Akio and Koukai’s were easy, the giant was too blind with rage, and Koukai... Akio wasn’t sure that man felt anything. As much as the giant wanted to, he couldn’t interfere. Not with this. As much as Akio wanted to be there for her, this wasn’t a level of pain that an innocent person could fully process. She might think this is the worst she could feel, but in the days to come... Akio knew all too well how bad that got. Both men stood there silently as Tsubaki began to cradle the dead girl in her arms. Very few decided to bury the one they killed. Tsubaki… You’re too kind for this life. Letting the girl walk out of the tent, Akio waited until the girl was out of earshot before turning around and grabbing Koukai by the throat.

"You really want to die, don’t you? Because you couldn’t possibly have thought that you’d get away with this. You take commands from me, not the other way around. I never gave you the okay. You’re the reason we haven’t had to steal from anyone innocent in months, that’s why I keep you around. But since you’re so keen to remind us that we’re bandits, I guess I don’t really need you."

Koukai tried to take in any amount of air he could, his legs kicking as Akio lifted him into the air. It took every ounce of restraint in the giant’s body not to break the green haired bandit’s neck. The initiation always reminded Akio that no matter how noble he tried to act, he was still a monster. Maybe that’s what he's been lacking lately. Maybe he needed to see himself less as the head of a family and more as the beast that protects it.

"Remember. Your. Place. Broken jaw was your first warning, this is your second. There will not be a third."

Akio’s grip tightened to accentuate his point before he dropped the green haired bandit onto the ground. Koukai wheezed and coughed as he tried to breathe, he couldn’t have said anything even if he tried. Tears fell down the man’s cheeks as he continued to cough. Akio wished they could have been real tears, but an involuntary response of the body would do. With a look of disgust on his face, the giant left the tent.

"Clean this shit up."
CharactersShow

Amy

What I've Done

Post by Amy » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:55 pm

Tsubaki walked out of Koukai’s tent in what could only be described as a dream state. Later, she would not be able to recall the journey back to camp to grab a shovel or the mortified looks that many of the crew tried and failed to hide. She didn’t hear the few offers of assistance that drifted her way and she didn’t hear the men calling for Shirai. Tsubaki would not remember walking to her favorite spot at that campsite. A small clearing in the woods, nearby to the lake and near a small bunch of the cherry trees that Shirai so loved the fruit from. It was peaceful and gentle there and it was the only logical place to honor a life that had been so tragically stolen. Tsubaki’s eyes fluttered shut in pain when she laid the girl onto the ground, the sound of half dried blood squelching filling the air. Making sure the body was laid in a position of respect, Tsubaki turned and began digging.

The ground was soft, where she was burying the girl. The soil was rich and would only become richer as it sapped away the rest of the girl’s life. The hole was deeper than it needed to be but Tsubaki refused to risk an animal unearthing the body. Blisters on her palms oozed, splinters dug deeply into them but she didn’t notice at all. She kept digging at four feet, then at six feet, and only when it took a powerful leap to escape the hole did Tsubaki stop digging. The roots would grow around the girl, shielding her in death and in the afterlife. Tsubaki didn’t know any rituals, she didn’t know any proper words to say as she looked down on the body that finally looked peaceful in the shadows. She only knew what she could promise and promise she did.

I’ll never forget you.

Returning the dirt was easier than removing it. Using her hands, she bulldozed it back in the thudding becoming less and less loud as the hole filled. Still, Tsubaki did not cry. She didn’t feel anything. Not the pain in her shoulders, the blisters on her palms, the cracked fingernails with dirt packed beneath them. She didn’t cry as she listened to the quiet sounds of the forest, her knees digging into the softness of the new grave. Finally, she pushed herself up and stumbled in the direction of the lake, a little voice whispering to her that she should clean up. It told her that she could not return to camp looking the way she did. Soaked in blood and coated in dirt, her eyes completely void of all emotion. She knew she looked weak.

In no time, Tsubaki was overlooking the lake. She didn’t remember sitting, drawing her knees to her chest. The rock was cool underneath her but it was nothing except a reminder of the cold body that lay beneath the ground because of her. She had run away from a life of horrors and had somehow ended up in another one. There were differences, she had thought before. But right now, she couldn’t think of any. She couldn’t think of a single difference between a village that wanted her to kill for them and Akio who wanted her to kill for his crew..
The only difference was her, she realized. Because this time she had chosen to compromise herself.

He had said it was a choice but that was a lie. He said she was part of the family no matter what but that had to be a lie too. He said they needed her but needed her as what? As a killer, maybe. Is that what they needed? She was supposed to save them though. Maybe that was wrong. Maybe Shirai was the only medic they wanted. Hadn’t someone once told her that if others found out she was a ninja all they would want her for was her killing skills, for her training? She couldn’t remember who told her that but it seemed so real now.

Time passed around Tsubaki but she made no move to leave where she sat. For all she cared the world could continue without her.
My CharactersShow

ThatGuy

What I've Done

Post by ThatGuy » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:12 pm

The whole time that Tsubaki was gone, Shirai was in the med tent sanitizing their tools. He needed a menial task to focus on and keep him from worrying too much. Plus, it might get him some brownie points. By the time he had finished, Shirai was done with the last of the daily chores and projects that they (he) had been putting off. Tsubaki should have been back by now. Growing increasingly worried, the boy made his way towards her tent. Before he could make it there, however, a few members of the crew stopped him.

"Shirai! Tsubaki’s doin’ really bad. She just walked right through camp, not respondin’ to anythin’! Girl was in a trance, carryin’ somethin’ or someone, I didn’t want to get too close."

"Thanks, Kai. Which way was she headed?"

When the bandit pointed in the girl’s direction, Shirai immediately knew where she was headed. Tsubaki had to be at the lake. Fear gripped the boy’s heart as he ran towards their favorite spot. The girl had already been through so much in her life, why did there always have to be more trauma? Just the possibility of Tsubaki carrying a dead body was enough to make Shirai assume the worst. Did it have something to do with the initiation? If so, Akio and Koukai would have to pay.

After Shirai arrived at the lake, his heart sank. Even from this distance, he could see that Tsubaki was shaken to her core. The boy called out to her as she stared out at the lake, but didn’t receive a response. The other members of the crew were right not to get too close. Tsubaki was a pure soul, but there was no telling how someone might react during a breakdown. At the end of the day, she was the strongest person in the camp, next to Akio. But what else could Shirai do? She needed comfort, and the boy was willing to risk his safety to provide it. So without a second thought, Shirai made his way over to Tsubaki and wrapped his arms around her.

"I’m here"

It was all Shirai could say? What else was there to say?
CharactersShow

Amy

What I've Done

Post by Amy » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:09 pm

For better or worse, Tsubaki didn’t react at all when Shirai sat behind her and hugged her. Maybe, it was because she heard him long before he reached her and recognized his gait and the weight of his steps and so she wasn’t worried when he approached her. Or, maybe it was just because she didn’t care who it was. There wasn’t a single person on the earth who could be more cruel to her than she was already being to herself. So while she was glad that it was Shirai who had come to look after her, she couldn’t let herself find comfort in it. Despite the exhaustion that dragged her down, Tsubaki couldn’t let herself lean into his arms, into his hug. She couldn’t fall into Shirai and let him comfort her because she didn’t deserve it.

She couldn’t even talk, not at first. So many things were tumbling around in her head, trying to get out, wanting to get out, desperate to escape. But every time she opened her mouth to say something there was an invisible barrier that kept everything inside. It felt like she was suffocating under the weight of it all but still she couldn’t force any of it out. So she sat and let Shirai hold her until his presence calmed her enough that she could speak about the things that were tormenting her. It felt like it took a year to be ready but it was likely closer to an hour.

When I was five or maybe six, my mom’s best friend died. She wasn’t a ninja. She was a baker. She would always bring me the day-old stuff when she came to visit my mom. It wasn’t a big deal, it was stuff that was gonna get thrown out anyways, but it meant a lot to a little kid. I liked her a lot, because of that, and because she always talked to me like a grown up instead of a baby. But when she died I was oddly calm about it and didn’t even cry at all. My mom was upset. She wanted to know why it seemed like I didn’t care.

Tsubaki wasn’t at the lake anymore. She was there, in her story. Small. Hair much lighter and longer. Not down but up in an elaborate braided bun. She was wearing a dress, a clean dress. She could see the tears running down her mother’s cheeks as she held child Tsubaki’s shoulders firmly enough that there would be bruises the next day. The desperation was clear on her mother’s face.

I told her that she and Daddy always told me not to worry. That if they died on a mission to be proud of them because they were strong. Because they would have died to protect me and all of my friends, the village, and the world even. So even though it was sad, it was okay because of how strong her friend was. My mom got real mad and told me what happened.” Tsubaki took a deep breath.

Like I said. She was a baker. Someone robbed the shop and after she gave them the money they demanded her jewelry, the stuff her husband had given her. But she was stubborn and refused and they stabbed her and left her on the floor to die. And my mom said that the worst part, worse than the senseless death itself, was that the thief was a ninja. She told me that there was nothing more pathetic than a Shinobi who killed an innocent civilian. That those people were the lowest of the low. Unredeemable. She told me that her friend was not brave, that she was a victim. And she said that anyone who committed such an act deserved to lose everyone that they had ever loved or cared about.

Tsubaki didn’t feel the need to explain further than that. She couldn’t explain why the initiation was different for her than it was for the others. She couldn’t explain that over the sound of the water and the animals she could hear her mother spitting those words at her. Now that it had been said though, as devastating as it was, she could finally let herself fall against Shirai and let him support her. Idly, her eyes still roaming in front of her, she started picking dried blood flakes off of her skin.

I can’t decide if I should cry or not. I don’t deserve to cry for myself or to feel sorry for myself. I did this. So I haven’t cried yet. But shouldn’t someone cry for her? It seems too sad for no one to cry for her but I don’t know if I’m the person who should do it.

Despite her words, hot tears beaded at the corners of her eyes. She knew that she was going to need a lot of time to work through this. To discover the new her that would emerge from this. And she knew that she couldn’t stay covered in blood the whole time.

Come to the water with me?
My CharactersShow

ThatGuy

What I've Done

Post by ThatGuy » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:29 am

Shirai could feel his heart breaking in two as the girl told her story. What kind of monster would force someone as innocent as Tsubaki to do something like this? He’d never forgive Akio, and if Koukai thought he could get away with this, then he had another thing coming. Tears formed in the boy’s eyes as he carried Tsubaki into the lake.

"I’ll cry enough for the both of you…"

The normal cheerful and upbeat tone of Shirai’s voice was nonexistent. Now wasn’t the time for jokes and false positivity, he just needed to be there for her. Slowly and with a gentle hand, Shirai started scrubbing the blood off of Tsubaki. There was total silence for a while before the boy finally spoke.

"Since you’ve joined the crew, you’ve saved so many people. There was no way I could have saved them alone. Hell, you’ve managed to make it enjoyable in the med tent. I used to only work for money, but after meeting you… I think I can honestly say that I’m a better person. I guess what I’m trying to say is that you bring way more light into the world than darkness. I know we’ve done bad things, but we also can’t forget all the people we’ve helped. No matter how bad things get, how evil you think you are, you’ll always be a savior. No one can take that away from you, not even yourself."

It was out of character for Shirai to say something so sentimental, but he spoke from the heart. He hoped that his words might help the girl, if not now, then in the days to come. Though Tsubaki was likely too shaken to truly hear him out, that didn’t matter, he would say it as many times as she needed to hear it. After he finished cleaning the blood off of her, Shirai carried the girl out of the water. After setting her down, he gave her a slight grin and gestured for her to jump on his back.

"Your carriage awaits, m’lady."
CharactersShow

Amy

What I've Done

Post by Amy » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:46 pm

The water was cold, and while it didn’t quite feel nice, it did feel just slightly refreshing. And it certainly helped to ground her in reality. The water surface was calm and mostly quiet, the only sound coming from the water lapping at the shore. Slowly, she drew her arms back and forth just under the surface, their heaviness not as apparent in the water. A cloud of red had mushroomed up between the two of them and her arms made quick work dissipating it. Things were quiet again, between the two of them and the rest of the world. Unusual for them, but welcomed now all the same. She didn’t have anything else left to say and she knew that Shirai was trying hard to think of something that he should say.

When he finally did figure out what to say, it was perfect. Not eloquent. Not fancy. But perfect all the same. It didn’t help her to feel better in that very moment. But she knew that in the upcoming days, weeks, months, maybe even years, that those words Shirai spoke to her would bring her comfort. Give her something to hold onto when she felt like she was falling and losing a hold of herself. That little bit of comfort that might get her through the hard times to come. The same type of comfort that would come from the memory of him slowly splashing water across her body, so selflessly cleaning her off.

Tsubaki couldn’t figure out a response but she did manage to give him the smallest of smiles. Gratefully, she hopped onto his back, her knees hooked around his hips. She wrapped her arms tightly around his neck and rested her head between his shoulder blades. When they got close to camp though, Tsubaki knew she had to speak up. If the lump in her throat wasn’t going to disappear she was just going to have to learn how to talk around it.

I have extra clothes in the med tent. You can clean my blisters and I’ll change. And then you can take me to the fire to eat. Don’t argue. Please.

She knew that she had every right to hide away, at least for one night. One night to take for herself. But she also knew that it would make her look weak.

If I don’t face them, him, now. If I don’t see them today then it will get more difficult. I have to do it today. I have to face ‘em. Please, I have to. Please.

They both knew that if Shirai told her no, Tsubaki wouldn’t have the strength or the will to fight him on it. So, she just had to hope that he would understand where she was coming from and support her. Even if he didn’t agree with her.
My CharactersShow

ThatGuy

What I've Done

Post by ThatGuy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:18 am

Shirai decided it was best not to try to protest. It wasn’t the decision he wanted Tsubaki to make, but he had already decided that he was going to shut up and take care of her today. So if she wanted to face them at the fire, then that’s what they would do. If Koukai or Akio had something to say, then he’d just interfere. He accepted Tsubaki’s need to face them, but conflict was the absolute last thing she needed right now. So once they got to the campfire, the boy would do what he did best: divert attention. The boy didn’t say much as he escorted her, instead just letting her build up the strength on her own.

Koukai smirked as he saw Tsubaki making her way towards the campfire. To most people, it would look like she was toughing through it, but Koukai knew better. The girl put on a tough act when she was the most vulnerable. From the looks of it, his plan went perfectly. Akio had gone straight to his tent, so the green haired bandit didn’t feel the need to walk on thin ice. It was much quieter than usual. No one knew quite how to react to the situation, instead just taking glances at both Tsubaki and the bruises on Koukai’s neck. If there wasn’t going to be any fun, then there wouldn’t be any need for him to stick around. Koukai walked by Tsubaki as he left the camp, a smile on his face.

"Welcome to the family"

The man’s voice was weak and raspy, so much so that only the girl and Shirai would be able to hear him. If Tsubaki thought today was bad, then she was in for a rude awakening. But first he had to get rid of Akio, and he had the perfect idea for how to accomplish that. The girl’s faith in the giant was already shaken, how would she deal with his true fall from grace?
CharactersShow

Return to “Other Countries”