The path less Traveled

broodboy

The path less Traveled

Post by broodboy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:35 am

It was a particularly windy day in Suna as the city howled with the aggravated weather as the sand eroded the edges of the buildings and moved through. Akihiro tinkered away in the workshop where he drew dozens of different parts and mechanisms to increase the strength of puppet weapons and tools. While weaponsmith to him meant more so the actual weapons themselves he felt that dabbling in the world of puppetry and studying it would lend itself to inspiration for new types of weapons and armor.

Along the wall were various schematics with measurements plastered up like a mad man trying to make connections between things that did not relate. The bells hung at the front door echoed into the workshop signaling that someone entered and drew the young genin’s attention.
”I’ll be with you in just a minute!” He shouted from the back as he washed off the lubricant from his hands. He walked to the front where the light of the day came in revealing his sleep-deprived eyes.

”How can I help you today?” Not noticing who he was really talking to.

Kabu

The path less Traveled

Post by Kabu » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:47 am

Rika happily hummed to herself as she sat in her workshop running a polishing cloth over Genbu's shell, having decided to use one of her few precious days off, a rarity nowadays that she had more responsibilities, to do maintenance on her puppets. "Once I actually decide on a design you guys will have a new friend. For now though you need a new shell, don't you? I didn't realize you were getting so worn and beat up." she lovingly whispered to the puppet, making a mental note that she needed to pick up some more parts, both to patch up Genbu's shell and so she wouldn't be caught unprepared when inspiration for a new puppet finally struck.

"Actually, I should go get those parts now just in case it gets busy again." she whispered to herself.

Some moments later, having made up her mind, she found herself walking down the windy streets headed towards the local smithy, the place luckily not being too far from her workshop.

Upon entrance she couldn't help but sigh at the pleasant smell of flame and metal working in tandem. Over the last several years she had been a frequent customer and really had grown to love the place and all it stood for.

Anyways she was here on urgent business and so quickly approached the counter, giggling at the clerk seeming to not immediately recognize her, not that she could really blame him, having had many sleepless nights over the years herself.

And yet, a mischievous grin crossed her face as she stayed silent for the time being, wondering just how long it would take for him to wake up and actually recognize her.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Nakano Kiyomi - #8E47AD], Nakano Ayaka - #0C1C8C
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Karagata yamada - #CE1126, Makura Ayame - #7251BC
Kabu's Test Thread

broodboy

The path less Traveled

Post by broodboy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:06 am

Akihiro snapped back to reality by the sheer brightness of the individual's hair. The bright red hair reminded him of the burning embers within the furnaces that he tended. His crimson black eyes blinked a few times looking at the woman. The reflective glow off her pale skin, to which there was plenty visible, caused his face to flush, but only for a moment. His eyes wandered her form up and down trying not to be too obvious with his stare. He blinked a few times and cleared his throat and shook off his boyish curiosity. Although, she was every bit as beautiful as a perfectly sharpened katana.

"Yes sorry, I have not had much sleep this past evening. I was working on something new for the smithy." While true, it was not the whole truth. Being able to produce parts for puppets as well was an extremely sought-after skill in the village of Suna and with his dream of wanting to make a village armory, it was one he needed to dive deep into. That still did not mean that Aki could not produce superior parts for puppets despite not having an understanding of how they will work. Quality translated across the two disciplines effortlessly.

"I am Henrin, Akihiro, apprentice blacksmith. How can I help you today..... eruhhhhhm" He had forgotten to get the woman's name for a moment. "Do you have a file with us by chance? It will assist me in making your equipment if I can review your past requests and information."

Kabu

The path less Traveled

Post by Kabu » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:20 am

Rika couldn't help but grin as Akihiro looked her up and down, very clearly either curious or simply not sure where to look. She had to admit some part of her enjoyed the looks she often got, though she found that it otherwise didn't affect her much. She had often been told that she was beyond oblivious and that things like embarrassment seemed to be like foreign concepts to her and at times like this she had to admit that they were probably right.

"Hizashi Rika, current lead archivist of the Scribes of the Sand and frequent customer." she cheekily introduced herself, pulling out Genbu's schematics as she did so, unraveling the papers on top of the counter separating them, bringing particular attention to the section regarding his defensive properties. "I need some reinforced plating. I noticed a crack in his shell earlier and while I had considered simply layering over it, I figured it was time for an upgrade rather than a temporary fix. He's been good to me ever since my Chuunin Exam and this is the least I can do." she spoke, eyes sparkling as she did, the girl not quite realizing that the boy likely wouldn't be able to follow her.

"By the way what were you working on that would require an all nighter?"
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

broodboy

The path less Traveled

Post by broodboy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:48 am

The young man quickly flipped through the notebook he had by the front desk until he reached her page. There were several pages of requests that were more specific than the usual standard production the smith did on the day today. A small fire burned at his core as excitement rose from within. He looked at the desk where the schematic was placed and his eyes lit up even more. Every detail of this puppet's inner workings was visible and his Henrin eyes were in full effect absorbing every detail he could.

"Usually I don't work on puppets, Hizashi-sama, but I have more than enough skill to fabricate reinforced plating. You made the right choice in not layering over it as this would have created a weak spot for opponents to exploit assuming that had that knowledge. We can outfit him quite easily so let's step into my workshop and we can go over the specifications and I can offer my input if you consider it worthwhile. Please follow me."

He bowed momentarily out of respect and began to walk towards a room some ways into the building. As the two walked she curiously asked about his all-nighter. He had thought about not mentioning or showing anyone, but, she had shown him her precious puppet and Akihiro knew all too well the honor that was. Besides, maybe she could help.

"Well you see. I am not great at fighting and I was looking into making some things to help with my skills. I looked into puppetry but I don't really understand the applications. So then I looked into shields and didn't know if I could make that work in the shinobi world. I mainly use Iljutsu and Fuuinjutsu so I was trying to merge my weaponsmithing into something that would help with that. I am really invested in the barrier trap jutsu and would like to be able to use it mid-fight without setup somehow and even more so reinforce it at the same time." His speech took the entire time to walk into the room where she would see dozens of half-made schematics scattered on the walls, some drawn on with scribbles or torn out of frustration. A small proto-type of what he was working on was at the table in the center of the room along with a drawing.

"So far this is all I have. Additionally, I have chakra seal configurations ranging from D rank to S rank that I have theorized to increase power." He nervously laughed as to anyone other than someone who thought similarly might think him a mad man. He quickly grabbed a scroll that he created that listed base materials and minerals to select as a base for her puppet's new reinforced plating while she looked at his chaos.

Kabu

The path less Traveled

Post by Kabu » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:26 pm

"That's really quite fascinating. I wish I could do what you do but I'm no smith. I've always been good with my hands and have loved to create but I can only use the materials I'm given. I envy those like you who have access to any materials you wish at any point." Rika spoke, hands behind her head as she looked around at the various plans and drawings scattered through the room, a thought crossing her mind.

"Say, Akihiro. How do you feel about the pursuit of knowledge? Not just skills like smithing or puppetry but anything." she asked, looking directly towards him as she tried to gauge his reactions and answers. She was interested for a number of reasons, all of them pointing back to the fact they didn't really seem all that different.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

broodboy

The path less Traveled

Post by broodboy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:13 am

The young boy blushed. He was not used to garnering praise from those so high up the food chain. Sure, the Henrin was a well respected clan. So much so that even the current Kage was one. Although, his father told him not to ask questions regarding that relationship for some reason. The genin assumed some type of bad blood, but A types were always like that. Clawing there way to the top leaving a wake of destructions behind them. Akihiro did not know if that was this case with the Kazekage but he knew there were muddied relations between the family at least.

”Thank you very much, Senpai.” He bowed showing his respect to someone who has seen more battles than kunai he forged. ]”Truth be told the only reason I can do what I do is because of people like you. Securing land for us and even bringing back exotic materials and knowledge for us smiths here to fabricate and learn from. “ He paused for a moment and a large spark lit up in his eyes.

“Of course I do, in fact, it was the stories of our history in the archives that inspired me to be a blacksmith. The story of Sazama Tokuhei the Second Kazekage creating the walls inspired me to want to specialize in defensive techniques. The Bastion of Suna… one day.” He enjoyed research and looking into how the world works. Finding reasons to get inspired is what made crafting so fun.

Kabu

The path less Traveled

Post by Kabu » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:58 am

Rika listened intently to the boy's answer, pleasantly surprised by his eagerness and willingness to show initiative. If he chose to join the Scribes she felt he would fit in very well, and make a good partner for Takuma, the other Genin she had recently recruited. She would have to keep in mind to introduce the two sometime. But for now there was work to be done, on multiple fronts.

"That's a very good answer. Our history is a very important piece of our culture. It can teach us valuable lessons and even work as a source of inspiration." she spoke with a smile and a nod. "Though it can often impede us as well, causing fear and doubt. I had to learn that the hard way." she continued, reflexively swinging her prosthetic arm as she remembered how stubborn she had been to not defile her body, of her desperate desire to not follow the path of Manza the Heretic even if it meant giving up on her dreams.

She lightly slapped her cheeks to clear her mind and refocus, not wanting to bring down the mood. "So, as the future Bastion of Suna do you have any particular plans, goals to achieve?" she asked, leaning back against a nearby wall.

Soon she would offer him his place in the organization as she had made up her mind, but she was admittedly very curious so she would feel things out for just a bit longer.
NPCsShow
Shinsen Kyoko - #99840A
Kyomu Nozomi - #5960A8
Ibakuro Rin - #9E4FA5
Nakiya Hotaru - #9E540A
Fukusha Nezumi - #E00747
Kabu's Test Thread

broodboy

The path less Traveled

Post by broodboy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:29 am

The boy watched as she tried to impart a life lesson to him through her own experience. Sadly, inventor types always flew too close to the sun. He liked that she was so well versed in the history of Suna. Most of the interactions that he had with students of his age were vapid and filled with things he thought childish. He watched as the wave of melancholy washed over her just as fast as it left. His eyes lit up when she used his invented title.

"My problem is I have too many goals! Where should I begin? Firstly, I want to invent all-new material production methods for our supply chain solidifying our grasp on international trade. Secondly, I want to travel to different villages and learn their crafting techniques to eventually make something of my own. One day I want to make an armory of Suna with prized ninja tools whose reputation travels into the future." He continued pulling out notebooks that were covered in dust and suit from the workshop until they were stacked about four feet high.

"It is all outlined here in my seventeen-step plan. I am not too good at direct combat and even though I feel like I get left out a lot because of that. I can still contribute to the village in other ways and who knows maybe one day I can craft some ninja tool that would be comfortable for me to wield. Until then I have taijutsu and my brain!"

Along the far wall of the smith was a framed dagger comprised entirely of hand-carved crystal. The light from the furnace caused the colors on it to dance and catch the young genin's eye. He walked over and grabbed it and flourished it for Hizashi. "Mysteries like these drive me to want for crafting. This crystal dagger can absorb chakra and make itself stronger. I already cross-referenced it with the Kouseki Clan to make sure it wasn't one of theirs but this is a naturally occurring material. Who knows how many rare and undiscovered raw resources like this crystal there are. I like to fantasize that things like these are what the infamous ninja tools were made of..."

He paused for a moment and gave an awkward smile and abruptly changed his temperament. "My apologies Senpai, I must have gotten carried away with my passion. If that answers your question thoroughly enough I would like to recommend a double treated crud iron for your new blast shielding. We can cover any connection points with false tops to prevent anyone from seeing the seem."

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”