Overdue Meeting

Kat & Ty

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

Overdue Meeting

Post by Willoria » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:32 pm

It'd been a little bit since the incident with Takuma's form unlock and the behavior of his guardian that could have cost him his life. Souta had been glad to see how quickly Rokuro had taken charge of the situation, even though it had caused serious injury to the man. But a conversation still needed to be had with Fox, and it was overdue. The man had spent the better part of his morning going over the woman's file and her qualifications. On paper she looked perfectly suited to his guardian teams, but her behavior in the field had left him realizing she was lacking something that Rokuro too had once lacked. As such, he'd sent for Takuma and Fox both to meet him in his office.

His robes hung on a hook on the wall and he sat at his desk which had been cleaned and cleared off. He'd put out a small spread of things he'd made including some of his well known sushi, with a few other treats. He wasn't sure what Takuma or Fox favored after all. Outside of the room stood Rokuro himself who would open the door to let the two in eventually. "They're here, Souta."

"Show them in, and shut the door." Souta told him simply as he turned around, putting the large window to his back as he looked to the door. "No interruptions, Rokuro. Including you." he told him as he looked to his two guests and motioned to the two chairs in front of his desk. "Have a seat, take what you like. We're inching rather close to lunch after all." he remarked before sitting down.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

Overdue Meeting

Post by TyDie » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:42 pm

Takuma was visibly nervous as he walked through the halls of the administration building, called by Souta himself to a meeting following the events of the archaeological dig. He knew it was coming, he had gone and explored a dangerous area and almost gotten both himself and his guardians killed. The sight of Rokurou's blood leaking from his side still made him sick to think about... Makoto was already there, leaning against a wall silently with her mask on while Rokurou did the same against the door to Souta's office. Once Takuma rounded the corner, he lit up a little as he saw Rokurou... then dulled again as he saw Makoto. "Rokurou... I'm so glad you're okay. Do you know what this is about?"

Of course, neither Makoto nor Takuma would get an answer from Rokurou, merely a "get in there" gesture as he opened the door and motioned the both of them inside. Makoto let out a simple 'hmph' as she passed him by, making her way into Souta's office. Takuma was still intimidated by the man, though he only knew him by this 'younger appearance' everyone kept talking about. "Good morning, Souta-sama. And to you as well, Fox-sama." He tried his best to hide his nervousness, but his best wasn't all that great. However, the display of food earned a little confusion, which caused him to loosen up just a touch, especially as it was offered to him.

"...Maybe later... I don't think I could keep anything down right now, my stomach is doing back flips." Makoto wasted no time taking a seat in one of the two chairs in Souta's office, and Takuma sheepishly took the other. "You wanted to see both of us, here we are. You know I abhor small talk sir, with all due respect, let's please get down to business." Takuma side eyed the woman a little as she spoke, not out of any kind of negative emotion but more a fear for her sake. Even with her superiors, she was so curt and blunt...
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Willoria

Overdue Meeting

Post by Willoria » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:58 pm

Souta cracked a small smile at Takuma's comments, but that smile quickly disappeared at Fox's remarks. "I don't give a damn what you abhor, in my book 'all due respect' is a poor cover for 'fuck yourself', and you don't decide what order we do things in here, Makoto." Souta replied gruffly as he crossed his arms over his chest again and stared the woman down. "In the future if you ever feel the need to say something to me that starts with an 'all due respect' again, you best either spit it out, or rethink it. Considering your track record so far, the latter is probably for the best and for your health." he added before turning his attention to Takuma.

The man took a deep breath and closed his eyes briefly before pinching the bridge of his nose to calm himself before addressing the genma host before him. "Takuma, look." He finally said, his voice more than a little calmer before he turned and picked up a couple of containers from the desk. He'd honestly anticipated the boy's lack of appetite. "My daughter was always the same way... official meetings like this always made her too nervous to eat, so why don't you pick out your favorites for later so you can at least enjoy it when you feel better." He turned and offered the containers to Takuma with a heavy sigh. "I'd give you an earful about your curiosity and the dangers of that when paired with the genma, but I think you got that message loud and clear already. Rokuro can go over that with you more later if you want."

Once Takuma had taken the containers, Souta crossed his arms again and looked between the two. "First I want to address a couple of facts that will likely have reached you as rumors already." he started. "Yes, the last host of Soul, of Shishire, was my own daughter and I didn't know until after I became one of her guardians. She died in the war, and not from failing to contain the spirit. She died the way many shinobi did, in the heat of battle and the spirit had to be contained in the aftermath. It does not and will not affect any call I make about any host. I learned lessons as her guardian that I will apply to your training, Takuma. You will grow stronger from what I learned from her, as will your friend Junpei."

But for what else he had to say, he'd wait until Takuma had picked out some food.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

Overdue Meeting

Post by TyDie » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Takuma visibly cringed as Souta's outburst against Makoto, but Makoto was fine with it... until of course, he called her by name. A grunt of frustration came out from under her mask as she put a hand to her forehead, clearly confused about the situation. "Well... I guess anonymity is out the window. Thanks, sir." The sarcasm in her words was thick, and she crossed her arms as the man continued to lay into her. She was going to say more, but as he finished with his recommendation on her silence, she decided to take that advice, letting out a sigh as she turned her head to the side and looked out the window. It was clear that, unless directly addressed, she had little more to say now that it was clear she was being disciplined.

Takuma on the other hand, let out a small smile as Souta toned down his rage and allowed him to pick out a few of the pieces of sushi. With a slight apprehension, he would reach out and grab a pair of chopsticks, placing a dozen or so pieces off of the display into a container for later. "Thank you, Souta-sama. I'm sure they'll be great later." He said meekly, placing the container to the side now as he listened to what Souta had to say. And at first, it seemed less like a reprimand. He just wanted to make clear what they had both heard already - that the previous soul host was indeed his daughter. While Makoto figured that was a good reason to not have anything to do with the genma, Takuma saw the man's reasons.

"So then... you know better than anyone what it's like to lose someone to these spirits. And... that knowledge makes you the most qualified to handle them. I get it, that makes sense but... That can't be an easy thing to deal with, Souta-sama. I... I don't want to question you, but are you sure this is really the line of service you want to take part in?"
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Willoria

Overdue Meeting

Post by Willoria » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:27 pm

Souta didn't say it aloud, but when Fox made her quip about her anonymity the man gave her a look that made it clear he'd come back to the subject later. Instead he chose to keep his attention on Takuma for the moment, and try to keep his demeanor far kinder. As the genma host questioned his choice of specialty, his work, the bannin smiled almost sadly at him as he nodded slowly. "If this were only about my desires I would say this is exactly what I want to stay away from, Takuma." he told him honestly. "In fact, after Sakaki's death I left the village for a time to take a break, clear my head. I considered retiring from life as a shinobi entirely. Losing my daughter..." He took a deep breath and let out a long sigh. "It broke something in me. I wasn't even sure I could recover from it." he admitted.

He rolled his neck briefly and flexed his shoulders as he prepared for his next words however. "But for years this position has been held by people who have had no stake in it. They have bound life after life to these spirits, to be frank, feeding children like you to these monsters. They look at these sacrifices from an outsiders perspective with no regard to the damage such sacrifice causes to not only the hosts, but to the families involved. It is short sighted in my opinion, and after much reflection I decided that this position needed a personal touch. Someone like me understands best the pain that goes into it all, the damage, and can best weigh that against the needs of the village."

Souta stood and started pacing a bit. "A heartless man can demand your sacrifice and claim to have your best interests at heart and you believe him because he's stronger than you. But Takuma, can you tell me you really trust that man? Would you not trust even more the word of a man who has truly borne the cost of this sacrifice himself?"

Souta stopped his pacing on the other side of his desk, looking at the two in front of him with the window behind him, the image of the vastness of the village behind him. "I took this position so I can look at hosts like you and truly help nurture and train you, and you can know I speak from direct experience. That I speak truth, not pretty words and manipulations just to twist you. You're going to get enough of that from these spirits, you don't need it from me too."

TyDie

Overdue Meeting

Post by TyDie » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:30 pm

Takuma's heart physically ached as he heard Souta deliver his past in greater detail, and all of the pain and strife he had endured just being a guardian to the previous soul genma host. His empathic pain was clearly displayed on his face, the sorrow he felt for Souta's sake was practically tangible. But as the man went deeper into his reasons, explained that he saw hosts as people too, and how personal it was to him, Takuma nodded in agreement as tears formed in the corners of his eyes. "I... couldn't agree more, Souta-sama. In my short time playing prison to Janesisu, I can already tell you that the constant struggle to remain in control is... exhausting. Even when she's quiet, I can feel her pushing, testing me... It's maddening."

Wiping the tear from his eyes, he sniffled for a moment and took in a deep breath, looking at the man with a smile. "But just knowing that you sympathize, that you have a personal interest in our well being, not just as weapons but as human beings... It does more for my sanity then you know." While it was clear that Takuma was greatly pleased with Souta's take on his position as the overseer of Suna's spirits, Makoto seemed less enthused or impressed. Crossing her arms and whipping one leg over the other, she let out a sigh and tapped her finger against her bicep, shooting a glare out the window that could kill if someone was in her sights. Her disdain, boredom and annoyance were palpable... If she was going to be disciplined, she wished it would just happen already.
Active Characters

Willoria

Overdue Meeting

Post by Willoria » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:03 pm

Souta stood with his hands resting against his pockets, only his thumbs in them as he looked at the pair before him. Takuma's words brought a sad smile to his face, but he nodded slowly. "I'm glad to hear it." he told him simply before turning his attention more fully onto Makoto. His gaze seemed to harden as he took in her appearance, and her attitude. "Now the guardians I hold to a high standard, and I have no room for petulant children, nor tantrum throwing toddlers." he began as he looked at her. His own glare could easily match hers as he waited for her to dare try and match his gaze.

"I don't care what standard you were held to before, forget about it. Here you are guarding hosts as if they are your dearest friends, your siblings, not just weapons. You will sacrifice life and limb for them, and you will do so without hiding your identity from them. If you want to wear a mask in the field, fine. But you won't be a mystery to them. You will be both guardian and sensei, they need to trust you and you need to learn to trust them. The mistrust is reserved only for the spirits within them, not for them."

Souta slowly moved around the desk until he came to stand directly in front of Makoto herself. "I have no punishment for you, except that you have lost the opportunity to lead my teams. That job goes to Kouseki Rokuro. You will obey his direct orders as if they are mine, he is my right hand and you are his underling. If you think you can't handle it, quit, and you'll go back to sealing and your old duties." Souta moved away to step back around the desk and sit down again, glancing between the two. "Usagi Makoto... I am offering you a place on the genma guardian team, but not the position to lead it. If you accept, report to Rokuro in the hallway."

Souta turned his eyes, and a more gentle gaze, to Takuma. "After what happened, if you are no longer comfortable with Makoto being on your guardian team, you are more than welcome to tell me or Rokuro. You do not have to have her present to tell either of us, just ask, and we'll give you a private audience any time for any concerns you have about who is on your team. You deserve to have people on your team without living in fear that one might be intending to kill you without giving you a chance to prove yourself as a good host."

Souta sighed as he looked between the two, suddenly looking weary. "Any questions before I dismiss you?"

TyDie

Overdue Meeting

Post by TyDie » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:23 pm

Takuma's smile faded as Souta turned once more towards Masako, who simply blew the hair out of her face as she was referred to in such demeaning terms as 'Petulant Child'. She had half a mind to walk out then and there - her record as a shinobi spoke for itself. "I've already sacrificed for this village, Souta. Not just limb, limbs. Plural. Or are you blind?" She held up her puppet arm as a means of showcasing what she was referring to. "Maybe this isn't for me then, Souta. I have no desire to lead a team anyway, but I sure as hell don't want to be looked down on for the way I handle crises related to these manipulative pricks. You can't expect me to trust a child with a literal demon inside of them like he's my 'dearest friend'."

Makoto stood from her seat and was about to leave without so much as a salute... but Takuma spoke up as she turned her back. "It's okay Souta, I don't hold it against Makoto. I bet it looked scary from her point of view - Rokuro bled a lot after all, and I don't think my change helped much..." He looked away shyly as he referred to the unlocking of the Genma's powers, and how his body looked during it. "In her shoes, I might've reacted the same way... But give her a chance. I know she can do better, Souta, she's a good person deep down." With an innocent, naive smile, Takuma turned to Makoto. She wasn't looking towards them, but the fact that she had paused in her departure was enough for Takuma to know she was listening at least.

"Right Makoto?"

Makoto stood in silence for a few moments, not wanting to face Souta nor Takuma... But she couldn't help the 'tch' sound that eventually found it's way out of her mouth, before she finally turned back around. "You really lay it on thick, don't you kid?" Takuma looked stunned for a moment, but eventually shrugged nervously without a word. Makoto finally looked to Souta, expecting to see a dumb grin of some kind, and let out a small sigh. "I can't very well let it end like that, now can I? So fine... I'll go speak to Rokuro." Makoto had no questions for Souta, and so she would take her leave if given permission... this time with a half assed salute. It was about all Souta could expect from her given how annoyed she had been from the beginning.

Takuma, however, did have one last thing to ask after Makoto left the room. Turning back to the man behind the desk, his unease was apparent based on his nervous smile. "I... didn't upset her, did I Souta-sama?"
Active Characters

Willoria

Overdue Meeting

Post by Willoria » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:28 pm

Souta raised an eyebrow and tilted his head as Makoto showed off one of her puppet limbs. Of course he knew about them, it was exactly what he had been referring to when he spoke to her of sacrifices. He had meant to highlight sacrifices she had already made and insinuate that these were exactly the kind of sacrifices she might have to continue to make. Of course it wasn't something to be taken lightly. As she made clear she wasn't comfortable with what he demanded of her, he felt a wave of disappointment wash over him and sighed quietly. But he wasn't sure it was quite over yet. As she tried to leave and Takuma spoke up, a small smile worked its way across his lips. The boy before him was so incredibly innocent, so naive, and he saw so much good in someone who had tried to kill him without a second thought. He didn't respond to him though, leaning forward to rest his chin on his hand and cover his mouth with a hand to hide the smirk on his lips when Makoto finally turned to look at them.

What Takuma had said was exactly what Souta had anticipated, as was Makoto's response. The boy wasn't unlike his daughter Sakaki, and Makoto wasn't much different from how Souta himself was when he first met her either. He practically saw the woman's heart melt in front of him. As she said she'd speak to Rokuro, Souta simply nodded to give her permission to leave. He finally lifted his chin from his hand and sat up as Takuma asked him the question and chuckled. "Not really, no, you didn't upset her." he assured the boy. "I was a lot like her once upon a time, Takuma... I was hard, and broken, I was battle-weary. I didn't see any good left in the world. Everything was black and white to me, I couldn't see anything beyond the mission and targets." Souta sighed and smiled as he looked at Takuma. "When someone closes themselves off like that... they need someone like you. Someone who sees the good in everyone, who forgives and gives second chances without a thought. Who proves every day that good and innocence exists, that it can be protected." Souta pushed himself up from his chair and came around the desk once more, this time reaching out a hand to help Takuma up from his chair. "My daughter was the same way. I look forward to seeing you excel, kid."

Outside of the office, Rokuro was leaning against a wall with his arms crossed as he waited for the meeting to finish. He saw Makoto come out and raised an eyebrow with a silent question on his mind. Though for a change he didn't keep it silent long, speaking up as she inevitably drew closer. "You staying on then?" he asked. "Kaede stepped down to spend more time working out of the hospital as of this morning, we could use more experienced shinobi to fill the spots I need to fill."

TyDie

Overdue Meeting

Post by TyDie » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:14 pm

Makoto left the room, leaving Takuma and Souta to have their last words, while she walked over to Rokuro against the wall. His gravely voice rang out from under his mask, asking if she was going to remain a guardian to the genma hosts. A chuckle and shake of the head started Makoto's response. "Looks like it, yeah. For a second, I thought about walking away but... Had a change of heart I guess. I guess that makes you my boss, huh?" Makoto took a few steps closer to Rokuro, standing maybe a foot away from him, before letting out a 'hmph'. "I'll follow orders, but don't mistake that for subservience. I still don't like you, or this situation Souta has set up with the guardians and their function towards their wards. Speaking freely, I think it's a load of shit, and it's going to backfire in the end."

It was about that time that Takuma, after thanking Souta for his final words, left the room and walked over to the duo. "So you're staying, right Makoto?" A small, stifled gasp escaped from under Makoto's mask as the boy addressed her by name. He had done so earlier, when he forgave her for attempting to take his life, but it was only just setting in. Rokuro would watch as she closed her eyes underneath her mask for a moment, weighing her next words and actions carefully. Then, with a sigh of resignation, she accepted what she had to do. Slowly, her artificial hands reached up towards her mask and remove it from her face, revealing her pale, pristine flesh underneath for the first time. The soft, velvet skin and gentle curves to her face stood in stark contrast to the sharpness of her eyes.

Then she would turn to face Takuma, revealing her face to him while he stood with his jaw slightly open. "Yes, Takuma. I can't promise things will change overnight, but I will... try. I'll try to take Souta's words into consideration moving forward. And..." Although no one had seen her face since she became Takuma's handler, Makoto hadn't cracked a smile since before even that day. But now, seeing the boy face to face, her guard dropped for a moment, and a small smile crossed her normally stern visage. "...I won't forget your forgiveness." a big, warm smile crossed Takuma's face as Makoto finished, while the woman slipped her mask into her ninja pouch - she clearly wasn't going to need it as much anymore.

Turning back to Rokuro, Makoto's face once more hardened as she addressed the man. "I wonder what's under your mask now... Hm. Maybe another day. Anyway, if that's all..." Makoto would make clear her intention to leave unless Rokuro had more to address with her.
Active Characters

Willoria

Overdue Meeting

Post by Willoria » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:31 pm

Rokuro nodded slowly as Makoto explained to him that she was staying on the team. He couldn't really show a smile or a smirk given his mask affixed to his face, but there was certainly a twitch in the muscles around his eyes that gave away the fact that he was under his mask. "Yeah... the painfully innocent ones will do that to you." he admitted, turning his head suddenly as he heard Takuma approach them. Even as he heard the boy speak he couldn't help thinking that Makoto sounded a great deal like he did when he was first recruited to the team. He thought about telling her that he didn't need subservience, or that she wouldn't even notice he was the team leader unless shit hit the fan, but it didn't seem like the time for it.

He simply fell silent as she interacted with Takuma, but as she removed her mask and revealed her face he couldn't help as his eyes went wide with what he saw. Her piercing eyes, her militant demeanor, nothing had left him remotely prepared for what he saw before him. The woman was beautiful in her own right. He was still staring at her in shock when she turned towards him and commented about what might be under his mask. "Disfigurement, massive scarring, and the inability to breathe without it." he answered. "Certainly nothing as beautiful as what was under yours." he added without thinking. He blinked rapidly at his own words and cleared his throat as if recovering, though he hadn't completely registered what he said himself.

He reached back a hand to scratch the back of his head before glancing at Takuma and seeing the look on the boy's face before realizing he might've just said something to earn himself a potential slap at the very least.

"...eh, shit."

TyDie

Overdue Meeting

Post by TyDie » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:55 pm

Makoto was about to walk away from Rokuro and Takuma when Rokuro opened his mouth, commenting on her apparent beauty. For a moment, as she turned to face him, she raised an eyebrow in curiosity and shock. As he scratched the back of his head with embarrassment, she nodded slowly in understanding, realizing that she had indeed heard him right. A myriad of thoughts crossed her mind of what to do to Rokuro, but ultimately none of them would help. She got a few inches from him though, breathing out a sigh of annoyance as she glared at him. "I could slap you, but knowing you don't feel pain... Honestly, kind of kills it for me. What's the point, you know?" She eyed him once over, head to toe, as if sizing him up for a fight... or something else.

Eventually, she shot him a wry grin and turned away from him, her hair flowing behind her as she walked away, her hips swaying ever so slightly. "Eyes on the boy, Kouseki." Makoto spoke with a giggle as she walked away, leaving the two Kouseki behind. Takuma, meanwhile, was staring at the two with a mixture of confusion and shock as the situation played out. When she finally left them alone, Takuma cleared his throat and nervously spoke up. "Uh... I think I missed something, Rokuro." The boy managed to stammer the words out, but a moment later, a familiar voice rang out in his head.

Hehehe... Can't you feel the sparks in the air, Love? I do believe your clansmen has a fatal attraction to that devilish woman. How... deviant
Active Characters

Willoria

Overdue Meeting

Post by Willoria » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:22 pm

Rokuro fully expected to get slapped, what he didn't expect was to lift his gaze and find her suddenly within inches of him. Something about her glare from this distance felt more menacing, but also enticing. His eyes darted between her two as she spoke and he only realized he was holding his breath when she looked him over from head to toe. His brow furrowed in confusion as he looked at her and finally let out his breath and took one in deep to try and steady himself. Of course, this only meant that as she turned away he caught a deep breath of her scent. There was the soft smell of both wood and steel, a touch of oil, it was oddly enticing coming from the woman and he could only assume it had something to do with her prosthetics and puppetry.

Of course, his eyes had to snap up as she spoke again and he cleared his throat in shock, thinking he'd been caught for a brief second and he shook his head, turning to look at Takuma instead. "Of course." he replied to Makoto, as if he hadn't just needed reminded. When Takuma spoke though, Rokuro had to stifle a laugh behind his mask and shake his head.

"Nothing important, kid." he tried to assure him. "My mouth runs before my brain can stop it sometimes, that's all."

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”