Sands of Time

PureWillPower
Location: I had to walk to school uphill in the snow, 5 miles, both ways.....Yes I lived in Florida. Don't ruin my memories with your logic.

Sands of Time

Post by PureWillPower » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:23 pm

Ken was rolling down the street enjoying the day off. He’s been getting a lot of those lately. Turning the corner, he saw Ichibashi-san coming out of the used bookstore. Her husband was out again on business, so it was rather odd to see her away from the restaurant. “Konnechiwa Ishibashi-san. Whatcha dooooin’?”

The elderly woman turned to him and smiled. “Oh Ken-chan. I wanted to add some new receipes to the menu for a while, so I took a break and let the girls run the shop while I bought a new cook book.” As she handed the book to Ken to take a look at a note fell from between the pages. Ken used his kugutsu strings to brink it up. It was in an envelop addressed to Kasumi. The paper was quite old and bown. Ken handed it to his elderly neighbor who looked at the back. There was no name on it. “It’s old and possibly forgotten, so I guess we can read it.

Opening the envelope, she unfolded the paper and started reading.
The Letter:

Dear Kasumi,

I am leaving this letter in the one place I know you will find it. I won’t to say I am sorry. I never meant to hurt you. It started out innocent and before I realized it it escalated into something more. I will be waiting at the bridge we were married on. I will be there for as long as it takes as punishment. Please forgive me.

Tora
The two looked at it and thought. Kasumi and Tora? Ken looked to her and raised an eyebrow. “You know someone named Tora or Kasumi?”

Ichibashi just shook her head and refolded the letter. “I don’t know if she ever got this letter. But maybe we should check to see. Can I trust you to find out?” Ken nodded and took the letter from her placing it in his side pouch.

Turning the chair around he began to roll towards the one place that might know, but stopped after a foot. “Oh today’s lunch special my favorite?”

Ichibashi shook her head. “So. It’s tako ramen. “ Ken had a shiver run down his spin before heading off for the clinic. This was going to be an interesting bit of detective work for the puppeteer. The clinic was a busy hub of gossip. Even if they can’t talk directly about patient treatments or illnesses, it doesn’t stop them from spreading news and rumors. But could any of them have heard about this old of a rumor? It seemed like the two were married, by his estimation.

Approaching the ramp of the hospital, he rolled up and saw Ai walking out of the front doors. He waited for her to pass wanting to avoid any uncomfortable moments with psycho Katon combat nurse. Once she was down the steps, he rolled in through the door and right up to the desk. At the desk today was a 50 something woman with long grey ahir tied up into a bun. She was regularly on desk duty and loved to gossip with Ken about some of his agemates. “Hey did you hear about Rikkimaru?” She was also the biggest gossip of the hospital. The regulars always got an earful. “Heard he was so embarrassed by your little stunt, he sat in the bathroom for three hours crying.”

Ken was a little embarrassed by that. He was hoping just to treat his junior to a little bit of a show that he wouldn’t normally get. He had to wait until he was 15 to see his first panty shot. And here, he gave him the Harem Panty shot two years early. He shook his head and placed the letter on the desk. “ I found this letter from a Tora to a Kasumi. You wouldn’t happen to know of a couple named those do you?”

She took the letter reading it. “Oh dear. I do. It happened back when I was a genin. Tora and another woman were having an affair and Kasumi found out. While he was out on a mission, she sold all his stuff and locked him out. The day after he returned he started living at the bridge on the north side. No matter what happened he refused to move. We found him dead a week after he started to just sit out there.” She looked back to the letter. “I don’t think she ever found this letter because she would have went to him and had him come home. She was waiting for some apology.”

Ken was wide eyed at this, he literally waited there until he died. No one brought his food or water during that time. Must have been harsh. And the worst part was dieing feeling like he was not being forgiven. Ken took the letter back from her and placed it back in his pouch. “Is Kasumi still alive?”

She nodded. “Yeah, the Elder Kasumi lived on the north side of town about five blocks from the bridge. Just ask around you should be able to find her. “ Ken smiled to her and waved as he left the hospital
Characters made of PureWillP0wer
VillageNameRankRenownMissionsColor Code
Sakugu TsubumeGenin--FFE134
Taku YukoJounin200-008008

PureWillPower
Location: I had to walk to school uphill in the snow, 5 miles, both ways.....Yes I lived in Florida. Don't ruin my memories with your logic.

Sands of Time

Post by PureWillPower » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Just rolling down the street in the northern part of the village, he had stopped a few people asking for a Kasumi in her 70’s or higher. However no luck. As he approached the bridge, he saw Ai, Shugorei, and the twins. While he wanted to avoid Ai for a little bit so as to forget the heart break and psychoness, there was a chance that a member of Team Boom might know where this Kasumi lived. As he rolled up to them he waved his hand lightly. “Konnechiwa.”

Ai was the first to turn around and approach him. “I thought you were avoiding me at all cost lately. Was it the Hebi?” Ken was a bit shocked that such a secret organization was being talked about so freely. That was until he saw the lapel pin on all four of their hitai-ites. They were all psycho snakes.

Shugorei walked up with the twins trailing behind him. “Yeah, we were about to come talk to you about it. For some reason the elder snakes really want you in there. “ the twins then flanked him and looked him over.

Ken just hung his head. “Maybe later. Right now I am looking for a Kasumi that married a Tora.” He pulled out a letter and held it up. Ai took it, opened it up, and took a look at it. “Ichibashi-san found that letter in an old cookbook she bought and though she might like it back.”

Tetsu jumped up on the arm of the wheel chair with Ryuu copying. “So you think our Grandmother would be interested in this?” Ken looked quizzically at him. He didn’t realize he was looking for their grandmother.

Shu took the note from Ai and started down the street. “We will take you to see her. Ai you can wait for us can’t you?” She nodded as the twins both pushed Ken behind them. After a bit of walking then soon came up to a graveyard. “We made an offering this morning but I think she will like hearing this.”

Ken left them to enter the graveyard by themselves. He could never enter it because it always felt like he was being watched. Last time he was in there was his parent’s funeral. Ichibashi-san held him during the entire ceremony. He could see the three standing in front of their grandmothers gravestone. The letter left on the offering step. While he knew they were saddened seeing a family member dead, they also seemed happy that they were there. He had no idea why. They were far enough away for Ken not to hear what they were talking about.

Ken grabbed a canned juice from his bag and placed his finger on the tab. Before pulling it back, he caught sight of the twin hugging Shugorei. He didn’t know all three were related. To be honest, he had his doubts the twins were related at times. But there was a bounding they had about the whole thing. Perhaps they were cousins. He had to talk to someone about this. His heart felt heavy but it wasn’t depression. Setting his can back in his pouch, he rolled on back to his side of the village. He knew who to ask.

PureWillPower

Sands of Time

Post by PureWillPower » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:26 pm

The way Shugorei and the twin acted in the cemetery was something beyond what Kenjiro had experienced before. He didn’t know what they were feeling or why they went so far for someone who had died. As he neared his house, he turned away from it and rolled into Yoshikawa-san’s yard. Coming to the doorstep he rang her doorbell. After a moment, she arrived at the door and looked to him. “Oh Kenjiro-kun, please come in.” She stepped back and let him in. His kugutsu strings closing the door behind him, getting a gasp from her. “I will probably never get used to you doing stuff like that. So to what do I owe the visit?” She took his handles and rolled him into the living room where she could sit with him.

Kenjiro looked down to the ground his hands tightening over the ends of the arms of his chair. Yoshikawa-san could tell that he had something uncomfortable he wanted to talk about, so she just sat there and waited for him to come out with it. “Why do people go to the graveyard and to the tombstones of their family? It’s not like they can respond or hear you.” Ever since the incident in the desert, he kind of treated her like an Aunt, someone he could talk to like a mother.

She touched his hand and gave it a small shake so he felt she was right there with him. “People go to the graveyards and their families headstone to pay respects and sometimes just to talk. It doesn’t matter if they respond, or if they even hear you. Sometimes it is just good to talk to them.” She leaned back, letting go of his hand. “I’m sure once you start talking, you won’t have a chance to stop.” She chuckled remembering the first time she talked with her husband’s headstone. “It is different for everyone but you only know when you actually do it. When was the last time you talked to them?”

Ken though back, there were a few times he thought he was talking to his mother when he was alone. There was also the dream, but that really didn’t happen. “I suppose when I was five before they left for the mission.” He couldn’t remember them all that well. He didn’t even know what they talked about. He just knew he went to bed angry that night. As his head started to sink, he felt his chair justle a bit. Yoshikawa shook him to try and snap him back to reality.

She just smiled to him. She had the maternal smile thing going on. It was the type that made you just forget your cares and ease back. “I think it’s about time you caught them up to what you have done with your life. Let them know you are ok. Even if it is just talking to a stone. “ Ken looked to her and knew she was right. He had to pay them a visit. He took her hand gripping it slightly as it had become their hug and turned to the door.

“You’re right. I do need to say somethings to my parents. And I honestly hope they can hear me.”

PureWillPower

Sands of Time

Post by PureWillPower » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:15 pm

Kenjiro had a slow roll as he approached the graveyard. He didn’t know what he was going to say. But he kew he had to talk. This weight on his heart where could it be from? As he picked his head up to look at the gates he saw five shinobi walking towards the gate from the other direction. Ken slumped back and bit his bottom lip. He never thought he would see these guys again.

In the center of the group was a blood red, long haired man wearing the typical desert life garb. His hitai-ite across his forhead. Behind him walking side by side was a woman in a full length burka with a yumi bow on her back and a quiver of arrows on her side. Her hitai-ite wrapped around her quiver. Next to her was a giant of a man with the Suna symbol tatoo’d on his forehead. Both of his arms wrapped by thick leather straps. Behind them was A shorter man with a long red cloak next to a woman in desert garb and floor length pink hair. Perching on the arch way of the gate to the cemetery flapped a albatross sized falcon. It was in that very instant, the falcon landed that everyone saw Ken and Ken recognized all of them. Sachi, Teika, Risa, Chi, Kiyotaka, and Isako.

Isako walked forward and looked at him. “Shioya-san? It is you. I didn’t expect to see you here today.” The group formed their usual circle with him as they took in what just happened. For this first time in a long time, Ken was with them again. Isako moved her hand up to wipe her eyes, already overcome by all fo the emotion today.

Sachi extended his hand with a forced grin as Ken shook it. “So the shape manipulator won’t let something as small as paralysis stop him from being a ninja.” As ken and Sachi shook hands, Ken could tell there was still anger within him, but it didn’t seem directed at him, it was more of an inward anger. Teika put his massive hand on Sachi’s shoulder. Sachi released the grip.

Risa came up and gave ken a hug. Ken simply hugged her back. The bonds they made couldn’t really be broken. But it was odd to see everyone together at one place with seemingly no planning. “So did you come to talk with Yumi today as well?”

Ken was absolutely floored by the question. With them in front of the gates of the cemetery and the sadness in their eyes, he knew what she meant but he had to ask. “What happened to her?”

Kiyotaka lowered his head and sighed. “Two years ago today, the five of us and our families were celebrating our promotions to Tokujo. While we weren’t looking, Yumi went to the wash room and placed her head underwater in the bathtub. We found her dead an hour later. “

Sachi was now visibly shaken. It was well known how tight the two were. Ken had even heard that he proposed to her after the Chuunin exams and they were just waiting to move in together. “If…only we listened to you that day.” His eyes were flowing over with tears. “We were just shoving it and shoving it in her face our parents were still alive. Each and everyday, she just hid the pain and acted like she was happy. It’s…it’s my fault.”

As Sachi crumpled to his knees in his sadness, Ken leaned forward and placed his forehead against the crown of his head. Then he pulled his head back and smacked it down on the soft spot sending him face first into the metal foot holders of his chair. The others just watched in awe at what happened. As Ken sat back up, Sachi stood up. He was half expecting the Tokujo to hit him or be angry. “Sachi-san. You know very well it’s not your fault. If it was you wouldn’t feel this much grief.” Sachi knew this.

In all their time, Sachi had been the most bone headed of their group and Ken was the only one who could smack some sense into him. It’s been a long time since he had. Then a though occurred to him. “Hey if you didn’t know about her anniversary, why did you come here today?”

Ken sighed and gripped the arms of his chair. “Long story short. I came to talk with my parents for the first time.” Risa walked over setting her hand on ken’s sholders.

Kiyotaka walked around her and grabbed ken’s handles. “They aren’t going anywhere and can probably wait a few more minutes. Let’s go say hi to Yumi. Friend.” Ken’s eyes started to tear up now as he nodded. Today really was a good day. Today…The gang’s all here.

PureWillPower

Sands of Time

Post by PureWillPower » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:24 pm

Just a few moments ago, Kenjiro had reunited with five members of his old academy gang and learned of the passing of the one they all considered the glue of their group. Now they were walking through the graveyard. Sachi was in the front of the pack. Since he was the one closest to her, it only felt right that he was the first one to talk to her. It only took them a minute before they stopped at her stone.

It was like all the other stones around them. A tall black obelisk of marble. Her family’s name was at the top, then it proceeded down the stone with the list of her family in the order they died, each one that had become full fledged shinobi had the Suna symbol next to it. At the bottom was Yumi’s name and the date of her death. Sachi knelt down in front of the grave and placed the offering before all six of them said a prayer to them. Sachi then stood up with a smile like he was watching her. “Hey Yumiko. Sachi here. I told you I would never forget you. As you can see, known of us did.” He looked up and back to ken who was watching the entire thing with a bit of curiosity. “Oh yeah, take a look at who we found. He won’t be able to come closer. No ramps you see. But I think you, would be the most happy to speak with him right now. So I’ll let him speak.” He took a couple steps back and placed his hand on Ken’s shoulder. “Go ahead and speak to her.”

Ken nodded and thought a bit. He made a couple hand seals and wrapped his legs in the kugutsu strands. He leaned forward and stood up to the shock of those around him. He took a couple steps forward and went to his knees in respect. “Hey Yumi. It’s Kenjiro. But if you are here, you see that. It’s been a while hasn’t it. I’m not sure about what you have heard, but I heard about what happened. I truly am sorry for everything.” Ken had a small chuckle as he lowered his head a bit. I remember in the Chuunin exams when we met at the dango stand. Even when your Mentor told me to give it up since mine went missing, you stepped between us and stood up for me. You always were the one looking out for the group.” His head tilted back a bit. “Its funny. Its been years since we talked, even longer with the others, but the glue is still strong. You always pulled us together, Kept us from breaking.” Resting his head in normal position he smiled to the stone. “Arigato. And gomen. I’m sorry for the one time our glue needed us, we broke apart.” He bowed his head low to the stone and sat there for three seconds before standing back up and moving to his chair. Looking to the others he smiled. “I’m new at this but would it be alright if I go talk to a couple more people here?”

Sachi nodded. “Hey Yumiko. I know this is a little rude of me, but I’m here ever week to keep you up to date. I’ll let you know what I find out.” He then took Ken’s chair and lead him down the rows. “Hey Ken-kun. How did you walk? I thought your paralysis was permanent.”

Ken sighed and smiled. “I’m a puppeteer. My legs are my biggest surprise in combat. Expect a paraplegic and get a foot upside the skull. “ the two laughed heartily as they walked and talked. To the outside world. It seemed like the two friends have never been separated.

PureWillPower

Sands of Time

Post by PureWillPower » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:32 am

It had been an hour since Sachi left Kenjiro in front of his families memorial. Why there was only two names on it, he was unsure of. His father’s name then his mother’s name. That was it. Was his family so small that they were the only ones ever in Sunagakure? So that meant that he was the last one left of the Shioya Family. Good thing that he wasn’t a member of a prestigious and noble kekki genkai clan and in this situation. He was not going to have Raiton ensure the continuation of the clan.

The site was cleaned and well taken care of. Save one stray wooden plank. His name was on the plank. Shaking his head he sat it in his lap. Didn’t want others to think him dead. “Hey Kaa-san, To-san.” He lowered his head and set his hand on his temple. What was he doing? Talking to a friend was one thing. But how do you talk to parents you don’t remember ever talking to? Ken let out a sigh as he slowly slid his hand onto his lap, touching the plank of wood.

“I guess I could say it has been a while, but I think I can honestly say its been at least a decade.” Taking a deep breath in he just tried to picture them standing in front of him. “Well where to start? I guess maybe the first thing I can vividly remember. Ichibashi-san helped me enter the ninja academy.” He touched the hitai-ite around his neck and smiled. “As you can see I graduated, a little later then I planned. While in the academy I made some great friends. Maybe you know one of them. New to the block. About two years ago a girl named Yumi, from the Tani family, joined that side of life.” He chuckled a bit s he remembered what she looked like and thinking in a fatherly tone what he pictured his father would say. “No we didn’t go out. She was in love with another friend of mine. Sachi, the one who brought me here.”

Leaning back in the chair, he finally relaxed. Feeling like he needed to, to catch them up on over ten years of troubles he had. “Besides those two, I became friends with Teika, Risa and Chi, Isako, and Kiyotaka. We kind of grouped up to ensure survival at the academy, but it became a true friendship. And that brings us to the chair you are probably wondering about. “ His fingers slid across the arms lightly. “Well, Yumi’s parents died while on mission, just like you two did. When we found out, I tried to help her by trying to tell them my personal experiences and what I felt. But Sachi thought I was cold and heartless so we broke apart that day. “

His head lowered as did his voice. “After classes that day, I was walking home, when I noticed a boy bullying a couple of the freshmen with a badly formed jutsu. I went over to break it up and he dropped it. The only thing I could think about was protecting them. As that was what we as shinobi do for our village. We protect those that need protecting. As a result, the jutsu severed my spinal column and I have not been able to walk since.” A small bit of phantom pain strolled up his spine. Knowing it wasn’t really there, he just continued. I didn’t want to give up being a shinobi though. I spent a lot of time, sweat, and tears, working at what I needed to just to be on the same level as everyone else.”

He smiled up to the stone. He remembered all the hard ships, the calloused hands. Even the one time he almost drowned while trying to work on his wheels on the water technique. “Eventually I was able to graduate. But because I had no ability in taijutsu, I had to work and focus on my ninjutsu. After a while of self study, I was placed on a three man team for training and was assigned to Nyoumei Hina. Yes, of the Hyoumei clan. She taught me the puppetry arts. After a while, she became a sister for me. I remember nights she would come over and help me upstairs to go to bed.“

“After a year, they found a human puppet in her home and she left the village before she could be arrested. Her mentor was sentenced and executed. A week later, I was sent to the Chuunin exams.” He laughed as he finally mentally placed the pieces together. “I think it was mainly to see if her nature rubbed off on me. A great way to snip a problem in the bud is to let the events of other nations take care of it right?” He sighed as he gripped the arms of his chair. “Well I made it to the battle portion and well I lost. But they promoted me to Chuunin since I had advanced so rapidly in kugutsu.” Ken started to feel out of breath. “I didn’t think I would actually feel comfortable talking this long. Well I think I will tell you more later. As you know. Desert knights get cold. Good night”

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”