[Graded]Meeting of Two Suns

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Her mind had been reeling all night that night, thinking of everything that had happened to her and everything that could happen to her as a result of what had transpired in those ruins. It felt like such a long time ago now, though it had only been yesterday that she returned from those ruins with Arata. She never even got the chance to see if he was okay... needless to say, Kiyori Henrin got very, very little sleep that night as her thoughts ran amok all night. And then there was the council meeting, which had gone swell for the most part... until Abe seemed to desire more proof of what went down. She still wasn't able to wrap her mind around that. Abe wasn't a very devout Yuumagure follower, that much was clear in her various times seeing and interacting with the man, but to so clearly and decisively dismiss living, breathing proof of the power of Her Light...

She made her way out of her house bright and early, dodging all of the various questions from her family about the incredibly odd appearance she now bore as she had made a promise to her lord to arrive as early as possible. Plus, she really didn't feel like getting into the discussion again... Bolting out the door, Kiyori made her way through the village streets back to the very same building she had stood in not even 24 hours ago; the administration building. She made her way up the stairs, around the bend, through the halls, until at last she arrived outside of Lord Kazekage Hito's personal office. She then knocked on the door to gain his attention and waited patiently for him to open the door, and bowing deeply as she set her eyes on him. "Good Morning Lord Kazekage." It would be clear to Hito how sleepless the girl's night had been, it didn't take a godly perception to see the dark rings and bags around her eyes.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

CDF

Post by CDF » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:05 pm

"Be right there, make sure not to open the door!"Hito's voice rang out from deep within the room, sounding much more muffled than it should have. It took a surprising amount of time, grunting and loud shuffling before he sounded close to the door, at which point a loud shuffling could be heard before a sudden crashing of papers. "Damn it." and a sigh were all that followed before the door swung open and Hito practically rolled out of the room, papers flying out behind him.

He looked about as disheveled as he could look without having been in combat. Collecting himself while Kiyori bowed, he wiped down his clothes of the residual papers and snack crumbs before looking at the young Henrin. "Good morning! I think it's time we stopped bowing to each other, at least in private." Smiling at her, he took in her tired face and saw his own exhaustian reflected in it. "Looks like neither of us got a good night's sleep, huh? Don’t worry, I’ve got a cure for that. I have to warn you, I haven’t slept a wink and my mind is swimming with ideas and information. I’ll be really talkative today. Now follow me, my office is uninhabitable at the moment and if I’m not mistaken, we’re just in time.” Not offering much more explanation, he turned and started walking through the building, practically ignoring any staff that rushed to bow as he walked by.

“We have so very much to talk about. But before that, how are you feeling, both physically and mentally. Anything seem particularly different today that might be a cause of your contact and newfound ability?” He would expect her to walk beside him now as they talked, looking mostly ahead while weaving their way down to the lobby and through a barely used door to a lower level. Walking down the stairs, he barely gave her time to respond before speaking again. “You know what, before even that, let me ask you: Have you ever had coffee? I had seen my family drink it in my youth, but always found the smell to be repugnant. Now I’ve learned it’s holy nectar and can be quite tasty if you’re clever and patient about making it, which I’m not. Luckily, I’m the Kazekage so I don’t have to be.” Chuckling slightly at himself, he swung open another door at the bottom of the stairs, walking into what appeared to be the staff kitchen.

A young boy was already there waiting for him, as excited and energized as a person could be. Two steaming mugs were in his hand and a basket was on the counter behind him. “Gooood morning Hito! Looks like the weather will be, surprisingly, just like yesterday. Today you’re drinking coffee from the Land of Fire. In the basket I’ve added ground vanilla, hazelnut, sugar and some milk that you can stir in to your pleasing. If this is your friend’s first time, I recommend adding in two fingers of milk as well as a spoonful of sugar to ease your way into the taste. The vanilla and hazelnut would be if you like either of them, though I don’t recommend mixing them together.” Looking like a beggar being offered food, Hito gratefully grabbed the mugs and passed one to Kiyori before speaking to the eager barista-in-progress. “Ah, thank you shenosuke! I should really have you arrested for how quickly you’ve turned me into an addict, but I don’t think I can live without you anymore. You can go home now, I’ll be hibernating after this mug wears off and my business for the day is done.” Flashing a genuine smile at the boy, he grabbed the basket and passed it to Kiyori to hold the handle. Once she did, he held on to it at the same time and made eye contact. “Hope you don’t mind, but I’m about to send us somewhere using Jikukan.” Not giving her much time to object, knowing she wouldn’t, he channeled his jutsu and suddenly they were somewhere else.

Kiyori would have felt a slight tingle as his Jikukan chakra flowed through her, and then suddenly the air would be fresh and she would find herself very high up and outside. They were standing on the roof of a building taller than any that existed in Suna, which was odd because when you looked out, it appeared to be right in the center of the village hidden in the sand.

At the edge of this roof were two very comfortable, well-cushioned looking chairs with armrests and a small table between them. The chairs could swivel to face out to the horizon or each other. At the moment, they were facing the horizon where the sun was beginning to rise. The golden light was unnaturally beautiful, it basked the entire village and yet both shinobi would be able to stare directly at it without any pain. It was warm and comfortable, but not too intense. The section of the village below it was gorgeous. 75% of it looked like the regular village, but each had fuuinjutsu seal on top as well as a considerable amount of greenery.

Without a word, letting Kiyori take everything in first, he moved with his mug and basket in hand to the table. With a big comfortable sigh, he sunk into the chair and looked out with a proud smile. “Welcome to my personal realm! It’s a work in progress and constantly changing. Currently, I’ve set it to model some of my plans for the usage of Naegi abilities. Please, get comfortable, try the coffee, grab some breakfast from the basket and enjoy the sights. Tell me,” His voice and demeanor slowed suddenly after he sipped his coffee. His hand reached into the basket and came back with a small, boring ham and cheese sandwich that he immediately took a loving bite out of. He had clearly not eaten in a long time. Turning to Kiyori with crumbs on his lips, he smiled and teased her slightly. “So, what’d your family think of your new look?”
- zenchou
Most intense. Mission. EVER.
[color=#C9B037]Ouji Hito Kazekage[/color] Sunagakure no Sato
Wakatsuki, Zai A-ranked Missing Ninja Kumogakure no Sato

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Not surprisingly, the young Henrin was a bit flabbergasted as Hito's insomnia fueled speech went almost completely over her sleepy head at first. She rose from her bow with a quirked eyebrow, as she suddenly believed the Kazekage had had a worse night than she did... or perhaps a better night? who knew but Hito. "Uh, sure Lord Kazekage, lead the way." was practically all she could manage to choke out between his eccentric speech. The Kazekage's mouth was moving a mile a minute practically, if not for her special eyes the words would all be lost within themselves, one flowing into another with such speed that even her mind couldn't fully keep up.

Hito asked his first question about any changes she might have noticed due to her ability today, but before she could even think up a retort with her sleep deprived mind, he shot her another one. Coffee? "Uh, It was offered to me once or twice during my time in Konoha, but I never drank it cause it smelled funny. They said it helped them wake up in the morning, which I didn't really understand. It's just a drink right?" Kiyori didn't know how wrong she was on that one, but she would find out soon enough. "And no, no real changes that I noticed." she added quickly before Hito took off again on a high speed verbal excretion, like a broken pipe constantly leaking water.

As they arrived down in the kitchen, the far-too-peppy boy greeted them, holding the two mugs of coffee judging by the interesting smell assaulting her nose. He then proceeded to bombard them with yet another continuous stream of information that she could hardly keep up with... it seemed that would be a theme for the day. She took her mug with a slight grimace, as it's close proximity only strengthened the aroma, then took the basket only to tilt her head a moment as she caught the word "jikukan" before she could even replay the memory to understand what was said, they were standing somewhere else.

If she had anything in her stomach to lose, the sudden shift might have caused her to vomit. Once she regained her composure however, her tired eyes opened wide as she saw the beauty sprawled out in front of her. "Wow... It's beautiful." Her eyes focused on the sun as she spoke, it's soft, warm light gently caressing her face as she moved towards the chair set out for her. She took a seat absentmindedly, and for a moment Hito might noticed that her tattoos seemed to glow a soft, dim yellow. Not only that, Kiyori seemed to be becoming much more lively. Back in the real world, the sun hadn't risen over the peak of the canyon yet. Though it was daytime, the village was still mostly eclipsed by shadows. But here, being touched directly by the light, it made her think of that moment all over again... the moment Her Light baptized her with it's harsh yet soft glow, it's burning hot and soothing warmth.

She took a sip of the coffee straight, not even adding cream to it, and took a moment to realize what she had done in her absentmindedness. "...Huh. Not bad actually. I think i'll drink it straight." she said nonchalantly, setting the basket down on the small table before turning to face her Lord. The first thing he really asked her about was her family? Weird... "Shocked, as expected. I didn't really give them the full story either, I was much too tired last night and in too much of a hurry this morning. They'll get over it though." She smirked a little as she took another sip of the brew, reaching into the basket herself to retrieve a small, plain biscuit. She took a small bite to choke it down, then looked back up to Hito. "I'm sure you have about a hundred things you want to talk to me about... The ruins, the altar, the spirit, this power within me... why did you ask about my family first? It seems... odd. You're normally one who jumps right into the thick of it Lord Kazekage, what makes this different?"

...Did she just question the Kazekage? Yes, yes she did. For the first time ever actually, and she didn't even feel like it was a big deal. Truly this was not the same woman Hito had sent off to Konoha a little over a month ago. She had changed.
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

CDF

Post by CDF » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 am

Man he loved coffee. It did a number on his intestines, but it was worth it and he was working on a jutsu to take care of that. It was unpleasant, so development is slow. The experience was far more fun for him than most. His awareness of his body added an entirely new level to the experience, he could see the drug’s effects in real time. The moment his heart rate increased by even a fraction of a second, he could tell the drug was working and track it’s pace through his system. Fatigue suddenly lifted, as if a heavy blanket had been pulled off him, and everything was just clearer and more beautiful.

He looked over just in time to see the awe in Kiyori’s face as she looked out. It made him uncomfortable how proud he was that she found beauty in his creation. He was growing fonder of this woman every day, and it was no mistake that even in his thoughts, he was now thinking of her as a woman instead of a girl. The man was an expert on auras and presence, he could feel people’s base natures through microexpressions and analysis of their speech patterns. He could see and hear that his student was quickly climbing her way up to the ranks of an equal, and he was eager to push her along. It didn’t help that she continued to amuse him.

She casually questioned his decision to ask her something, making him give a hearty chuckle. It was interesting to hear the level of intimacy she displayed, yet in her mind he was certain she was still holding him to a godly, out-of-reach status. She likely had a very different view of her relationship than he did, but that’s partially why they were here tonight, so no need to beat around the bush. “Haha, clearly we share a love for getting straight to it. I asked about your family because I’m no longer speaking to you as a teacher, Kiyori.” He stiffened and looked at her, “I don’t know much of anything of what happened to you, but I do know that I can no longer treat you the way that I used to. You’ll no longer be a student, weapon and asset that I care about. You’ll be all those things as well as a friend, which means I’ll occasionally ask you personal questions because that’s what friends do when they find the other interesting. So I’d get used to it, I ask a lot of intrusive questions.” Smiling widely, he reached into the basket and froze, suddenly deeply indecisive as to what he was going to add to his coffee. He had to try every combination in different varieties. To set a control, he had already had black coffee, coffee with milk, coffee with sugar, coffee with milk and sugar, coffee with vanilla, coffee with vanilla and sugar, and coffee with hazelnut. So his only choice left was coffee with hazelenut and sugar, so that he truly knew all his options but… he really liked the taste of coffee and vanilla. The argument of whether it was more important to enjoy the moment with the preferred beverage versus what was the most useful decision ended up falling to gluttony, and with gusto, he added the vanilla with milk and sugar. The amusing part was that he was speaking for the majority of this, multitasking his indecision and his speaking. “Do you feel what I see? Do you recognize how confident and changed you are?”
- zenchou

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:17 am

Kiyori took another sip off of her coffee, slowly but surely her taste buds were coming around from 'not bad' to 'pretty good'. It was definitely an acquired taste, but one that she began to savor more and more with each sip. Not only that, whether it was the sun warming her body or the caffeine in her system, she was beginning to wake up now. "I see now why my friends in Konoha drank this all the time. I feel revitalized." She smiled as she took another bite of her biscuit. Hito began speaking again, and at normal speed too, which for Hito was still pretty fast but Kiyori could keep up at least.

What he said, however, shook her right to her core.

She hadn't really realized it until he said it, the changes that had taken place not in her body, but in her mind. But as her eyes instinctively recalled the various situations she had recently been in, and her actions within those situations, she came to the conclusion that he was absolutely right. She had changed, she had grown, and she simply didn't realize it until now. "Wow... I questioned you. I questioned the council. I even questioned the spirit that chose me to bear the holiness of Her Light... I hadn't even realized."

She put her mug down on the table and sort of zoned out for a moment, her mind racing on a single question: why? was it simply part of growing up? or was it something deeper then that? She had seen people much much older than her who still refused to question the Kazekage or council, so why did she suddenly start doing so? "Is this... Is this a good thing or a bad thing Lord Kazekage? I feel like you shouldn't be questioned like that, like I overstepped myself moments ago. But in the moment... I didn't feel weird at all. It felt natural to ask you that question. Is that normal? This isn't as simple as the student reaching the same level as the teacher, you're the physical embodiment of Her Light made physical, the manifestation of the sun itself! I can't be even so much as compared to you, let alone seen as your equal... can I?"

So many questions that fluttered through her mind, and she felt she didn't have the authority to answer a single one of them. No, unlike the previous question he had asked him, these were absolutely questions that only the Kazekage himself could answer for her. At least, that's what she thought...
Active Characters

CDF

Post by CDF » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:15 am

This was nice.

He sat there, looking out to the fake horizon and let Kiyori work through the moment. He was mostly quiet, listening to her think aloud and giving her the time to process until she was actually ready for him to speak. The whole time, he couldn't help but display a proud and amused smile. When she directed her questions to him, his smile grew wider and he took another sip of his coffee before answering.

"The more time I spend within this realm and my own mind, the more it becomes clear how limited we are by our language. You can not imagine yourself as my equal because your definition of an equal is different than mine. To be equals, we don't need to be as strong as one-another, we don't need to hold the same title or rank, we don't need to even be the same species. To me, being an equal means bringing enough to the table that your presence is a genuine addition to my life, somebody who challenges me intellectually and isn't afraid to speak to me as they would their other friends." He stopped looking away now and turned to her, a softer smile on his face now, "It's important to understand the difference between a person and the position they hold. There's so little we understand about this world, including our religion. It may just be that the reason I'm the representative of Her Light may be just because I'm currently the best option. I wasn't before, and I may not be forever. There isn't a single person in any of the infinite realms that you are incapable of standing on equal footing with, Kiyori. You have unlimited potential, and you can not forget that. Now as for if this is good or bad... it depends on who you ask." Smiling a little more playfully now, he grabbed a biscuit and took a bite, speaking as he chewed.

"Like with the word equal, the word respect means a lot of different things to different people. There will be people who will tell you that to question is to disrespect. That daring to believe you may know better than somebody in a higher rank or position is disrespect. They'll tell you that everything breaks down when the lower ranks start to think for and by themselves. But I think that's a crock of shit." He finished the biscuit with the same playful smile, knowing it'd be an interesting reaction from Kiyori hearing him be so casually profane. "To doubt and to question is to have confidence in yourself. It's to know better than to assume any man or woman knows everything there is to know. The moment somebody tells you to blindly trust what they say is the exact moment you should start asking questions. And if you are to lead, you need to remember this."

He gave a light sigh as he turned back to the horizon, thoughts swirling in his head madly trying to break down massive concepts into words. "As humans, all we can do is strive to be better. To be better, we must be prepared to overcome any obstacle and to never stop working on ourselves. Along the way, our rank and title may change, our incomes and influence my increase; but that is not your goal. Your goal is yourself, to be the best you that you can be. None of us is perfect, and none of us ever will be, we can only try our best and hope it's sufficient. Do you think you're doing your best?" He turned to her again, genuinely curious to her answer.
- zenchou

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:26 am

Kiyori's eyes focused intently on her leader as Hito delved into his speech, explaining the answers to all of the questions Kiyori had asked and then some. Truthfully, it was always fascinating to her to listen to him when he began to dissect things with his words, diving into the deeper meaning of things far beyond what they meant at their basest value. Intellectually, there was no one else that Kiyori could think of now or ever before that equaled Hito's incredible mind, at least not in Sunagakure. But still... "You may consider me your equal lord Kazekage, but I simply can't think of it that way. To put myself on the same pedestal as yourself goes against what I've been taught all my life; it's heresy. It isn't about power, or rank, it's about faith."

It was hard... no, almost impossible for her to get passed that last bit; faith. Faith dictated that she shouldn't question the man who is essentially the avatar of the sun, the beacon of their very religion. Although she couldn't help the small gasp as Hito cursed so nonchalantly, her hands covering her mouth in disbelief. "Lord Hito!" she exclaimed, shaking her head with a small chuckle as she knew she had heard it from him before in the past, but she just could never get used to it. "I suppose questioning the council isn't too out of bounds. After all, they're only human. But my lord, we're taught to look at you not as a human, but as the sun itself... Our very teachings tell us to blindly trust you, because of who you are and what you represent in our faith. I cannot fathom the notion that there is someone, something else out there that better represents the light then you and the great Kazekage that came before you."

Finally she came to the last bit; who was she, and was she doing her best? "I... I don't know. I'd like to say yes, i'm doing all I can to improve myself and become the best I can be for the sake of this village and all those I care about, even including our allies in Konoha. But that doesn't excuse my actions yesterday, and it certainly doesn't give me the right to believe that I know better than you." Her mind mind was in turmoil, and within this turmoil one thought rose above the others... "Lord Kazekage, I need you to answer another question for me, and I require your absolute honesty. The spirit inside of Arata, the one who guarded the altar I touched for over a thousand years. It said that I received the last and strongest blessing the sun had to offer, that I had been chosen by Her Light to bear the most powerful blessing ever received by a mortal. Does... Do you think that really means I've been chosen to be your equal? I can hardly conceive such a concept, but..."

She trailed off, not even wanting to finish the sentence. She didn't want to believe it, not because she didn't want the power or the respect, but because... she didn't think she was as worthy as Hito, or as any other Kazekage. There was a duality within her mind; Her self confidence had grown enormously in such a short time, and yet it was as if her mind refused to acknowledge it. It refused to acknowledge that she had been chosen for greatness, and by the Sun's divine power itself, she had been chosen to succeed Hito's throne in the distant future. She had been chosen to serve as a Kazekage... And she simply couldn't believe that.
Active Characters

CDF

Post by CDF » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:25 pm

There was a lot to unpack here, and he wasn't sure where to start or what not to address. They were getting close to discussing his own views on his religion, and he was admittedly concerned at how she might take it. Things like faith were hard to predict properly, but she was bright, open-minded and looking for answers. He set down his mug now and looked straight ahead again, entirely focused on the horizon and what he was saying. "I'm not much a fan of faith. You just said you couldn't imagine anybody that's a better representative than me or my predecessor, but three years ago I was just another ninja. I had no idea I would be Kazekage, nor did the people around me. To question me is not to question Her Light, it's not to question a god. It's to question the person most blessed by the sun, which isn't something you're born with, it's something you earn."

Her next set of questions concerned him a little. He didn't want her believing she was destined for the position, though he wanted her to strive for it. A sense of righteous entitlement was dangerous in a leader, especially one that would be adored and treated like a god. She would truly be given full-idol service, and she would believe it. That could lead to many paths he didn't enjoy mentally exploring. So he turned and spoke softly, but it was clear every word was meaningful and important to him. "I think you've been chosen to have the opportunity. I think that's all the heavens ever gives us: opportunities. No one person has a divine right to any throne, no idol or leader can claim their place from birth. We need to prove ourselves in the eyes of our deities before we win their favor, and I think that's exactly what you've done. But the ability you've been gifted will do what you make it do. It will take you as far as you make it, which can most certainly include my position. On that same note, however, I do not believe such grace is permanent. I may be the sun's representative, but I would not remain so If I woke up tomorrow and decided to do evil." He hesitated for a moment. He could either delve into his personal view of religion, or he could talk to her about his hope to groom her for his position, or her increasing responsibility. ... perhaps it was more important to work his way up.

Breathing in with some visible effort, for once, the Kazekage looked a little nervous. He was open and honest with many people, but he was vulnerable with just about none. There were basically no people in his life that truly got to peek into the way he thinks and feels, especially not about religion. "I've got a working theory. I believe, though not yet with too much evidence, that all the religions we have today, including ours, stem from our ancestors interactions with ancient and powerful spirits. Now, bear with me a second," He added in quickly, knowing how much faith meant to the woman before him. Those with faith had to be approached.. carefully. Faith was irrational and illogical, and attempting to approach it with reason only ended in offense and pain. "My time studying Jikukan has showed me that this world we live in is but a speck in all of reality. The spirits and summons we see today are a tiny percentage of the things that exist across the seemingly infinite realms. They range highly in power and strength and not all of them are fully in this realm. There have been cases throughout history of creatures reaching across realms either directly or indirectly and producing effects here, such as bestowing abilities through a seal or creating a phenomenon. I've come to believe that we are no exception, that what we attribute to the Sun is truly an unbelievably powerful entity from another realm." Exhaling with some relief, he continued now with some more confidence and a casual tone, as one exploring an idea with a friend. "Which in my opinion, changes nothing. We've known for years that other religions such as Jashin exist and are capable of doing inexplicable things. We've already accepted that our religion is not the only one that has truth to it. Nor is it particularly new to accept that the Sun and all that it gifts us is of this realm. It'd even be a little arrogant of us to assume we occupy the same space. " and now finally, he picked his mug back up and sipped, giving a tiny moment for Kiyori to process before speaking. "I haven't shared this with anyone, and I know you probably don't agree, but I need you to know for two reasons. For one, I'd genuinely like to hear your opinion, and secondly, I will be using the scribes to investigate my theory further."
- zenchou

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Kiyori looked up to the sky as Hito began speaking of faith... and truthfully it was something that Kiyori had never really considered. "I... I guess I never really considered that before. Kazekage come and go, and during their times as kage they are considered the chosen disciple of the sun. But of course, there has always been allowed room for exception... The 8th is named the Sun's Sorrow for failing to contain the soul genma and falling prey to it's manipulations. I guess no one human can truly be considered the ultimate representative of Her Light..." She spoke sadly, as if her dreams had been crushed, but logically speaking it wasn't something she could truly deny. Otherwise, every time a kage was killed or retired, it would be seen as a potential death within their religion... was she just fanatical in her devotion?

The next topic brought her mind off of the crushing conflict of faith, but it was one that Kiyori fully agreed with Hito on. "Indeed. We are each given opportunity in our lives, and I don't think any one person is given the right to rule by Her Light, or any other religion for that matter. Only those who live truly and faithfully by their religion have earned the chance to lead their followers to greatness, and stepping off of the path can lead to one losing that opportunity just as quickly as it came. Religious or not, a dictator is a dictator, and we are not Kirigakure." She was glad that they both agreed on this, but she also didn't think of the Kazekage as a dictator, when in reality he truly was.

Then Kiyori saw something from Hito she had never seen in her life, nor did she think she would ever see such a thing from him; apprehension and nervousness. While she didn't entirely agree with him, she also didn't necessarily disagree with him either. "I believe faith isn't something that can be truly understood Lord Kazekage. However, I believe it's also in our nature to do all we can to understand the unexplainable, and I don't believe what you're doing or theorizing to be wrong. You may be right, but even if you are, I believe that entity to be beyond our comprehension. I believe there are certain things which we mortals were never meant to know, and can never know. But I know you well enough by this point to know that won't deter you in the slightest... In fact, you'll view that as a challenge and work even harder to prove me wrong."

She gave a small, playful wink at the Kazekage as she concluded, hoping he'd understand she meant no offense in her assumptions of him. And there it was again... she was viewing Hito less like a god and more like a man every minute. "You say you want to know my opinion on the subject lord Kazekage... my opinion on our religion. It... I think my time in the ruins has changed my views on things a good bit. You see, I think that Kogasha, the spirit sealed within Arata now... I believe his ideals, the ideals of old, are more true then our current ideals." She paused a moment, fighting the urge to apologize for what she believed to be heresy... The Kazekage had asked for her honest opinion however, and she was honor bound to provide it. "I believe our views of the darkness today is... wrong. Partly, anyways. We view everything dark as unholy, as needing to be banished from this world so that the light may thrive. But in truth, I believe it is because of the darkness that the light thrives. Without dark, light could not exist. Without evil, Good could not exist. The two must live in perfect harmony, constantly balancing each other, for true happiness and peace to exist. That... That is what I now believe."

Some part of her thought this was some sort of psych eval that the Kazekage wasn't telling her about, and that she was about to be imprisoned in a matter of minutes. Another part of her felt the Kazekage would reprimand her and remove her from the shinobi forces... but she had been asked for honesty. At the end of the day, that was all that mattered to her. She sat in fear of what was to come...
Active Characters

CDF

Post by CDF » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:57 pm

With a wide grin on his face and a far more relaxed posture, he responded. "Oh, Kiyori. This is just about the best case scenario I could have expected from this conversation. Your balancing of faith and reason may not be the one I chose for myself, but it's the one I wish every one in our village had. It's important to keep everything you've just said in mind at all times, because truly the only difference between us and Kirigakure is that our leaders have been good and moral, as far as we know. In terms of authority, the Kazekage can do even more than the Mizu and then be adored for it. Here more than anywhere, it is vital that our leaders don't come to think they deserve leadership by birth or some divine right." His tone was a little more meaningful than before. He was risking tipping her off to a conversation he planned to have in the future, where she would find out he meant for her to be Kazekage. It was worth the risk, however. This was a message that needed underlining, and if it were up to him, would be etched on every room in the Kage building.

He couldn't help but chuckle again at Kiyori's response. It was validating to have somebody he's worked with know him so well. He had spent years working alongside many people who still had no idea how insatiable his thirst for knowledge was, and yet Kiyori knew full well how he would respond to being told something can't be understood. She was living up to every expectation and then some. She not only understood him, but their difference in opinion and faith was being handled far better than he had expected.

"Ahaha, you are very right. Not knowing just makes me want to know. I fully understand and accept I will never know everything, but I plan to spend my last breath scratching at the unknown. That's why I value the scribes so greatly, because of them and because of you, I get to learn something new every day, and I get to rest easy knowing all these new discoveries are somewhere safe." Again, foreboding to another future conversation they would have to have. His casual grin was now replaced by one of relief and even respect. He was making direct eye contact with her now, and he was quiet for a moment. He knew a part of her was still nervous, and he was manipulating it. This was important. Very important.

"Kiyori.. I can't explain how happy I am to hear you say that. It is this kind of questioning that I referred to before. You were taught your whole life that the dark is evil, that certain creatures represent and mean bad things. They're unequivocal blanket statements that put almost half of our lives under the umbrella of sinful omens. Darkness is but another part of our reality. A leader in my position is expected to represent the sun in my morality and day to day decisions, but not every decision a good, moral leader makes is going to be good and moral. Our lives are complicated, far too complicated for simple definitions of good and bad. You're at a point now where you are going to decide for yourself where your moral lines are, at what point you're going too far or not far enough. What keeps my compass true is empathy and reason. 'Is what I'm doing going to help people more than it's going to hurt them?" But you have to be careful there, because many leaders have used that reasoning to slaughter 1,001 people to save 1,000. It's not just math, it's also reason. 'Is what I'm doing going to help more people than it's going to hurt, and if it is going to hurt somebody, is it truly necessary? Is there really no other way?' I've found that as leader, there's almost always another way." Taking a breath from his small rant, he returned his attention to Kiyori specifically. "You're right to be cautious in sharing this with me, others won't be so receptive. Our people are stubborn and set in their ways, but they are not stupid and they are not immovable. With patience and intelligence, you'll be able to show them what you mean, and I hope you do. I can help, but this is something that is uniquely suited to be your mission. Nobody else will be able to speak to our citizens' faith like you, and they need to be guided. I'm afraid this is just one of the many things I'll be asking you to take charge of, I hope you're ready. Now that we're friends, I won't just be more honest with you, I'll also expect more. I'll trust you above others and give you tasks and missions I wouldn't be comfortable giving to anybody else."
- zenchou

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Kiyori was... admittedly shocked by all that Hito had to say in response to her answers. Her belief in the Kazekage as a figure of religious perfection had officially been broken, and he seemed pleased by it. It felt like a death to her, the death of one of her biggest religious beliefs. "Lord Kazekage, with all due respect, I think you're being rather cruel. The perfection of the Kazekage is something that most everyone in Suna relies on. It's what gives them hope. To talk so dismissively about it is... it hurts. I may have the logic and reason you desire, but my faith is still very strong Lord." She had to fight the urge to cry, and did all she could to remain calm given the circumstances, but it was hard... the man most blessed by Her Light essentially denied his perfection, leaving her with little to hang on to. It was as if the sun had just fallen from the sky...

But she powered on, realizing that was not his intention and hoping that she had misread the situation entirely. "In any case, you are right about leaders having to earn their spots instead of being born into them. I believe that even Kiri holds that mentality, though I believe they take power by means of force and murder. So despicable..." It made Kiyori sick to think that those people, Kirigakure and it's shinobi, actually thought that was right. To kill one another in some attempt to seize power, only to have the same done to you... It was madness. Moving on to the next topic of discussion, she was even more shocked by how Hito reacted to her newfound revelations of faith. He... understood them? But yet again he wasn't looking at it through the lens of faith, he was still stuck on the topic of leadership... why?

"Lord Kazekage, why do you keep referring to leadership and those in charge like yourself? I was speaking purely about my own reality, my own morality, and I'm not in charge of anything. You're beginning to confuse me, this is all a matter of personal faith and morality." She looked out to the skyline again, taking in the beauty of the sun and it's warmth that gently spread over her skin. Then she looked down to the village itself and saw all of the dark shadows cast by the sun's position, blotting out certain areas... "It goes both ways I guess. Without light, darkness could not exist either. For it is that very light that casts the shadow." She pointed down to the village as she spoke, then turned her head back to look at Hito. "You've always known that I had a moral standpoint on killing Lord Kazekage. Unless there is absolutely no alternative, I will spare any and all life, even that of an enemy. I would heal an enemy to prevent their death even, just to ensure that unnecessary death is avoided. In my eyes, death and murder is never the best answer, and it's never the only answer."

And then, towards the end of Hito's rant, it all made sense; he spoke so much of leadership because he wanted her to take charge of certain things, things that he could only trust her to do as a friend. "Oh... Okay, I'll gladly do whatever it is you ask of my Lord Kazekage. I'm ready to do anything you may need of me lord, simply tell me what it is and I will set to work immediately." Kiyori took a sudden serious pose despite all else that was said; she was pretty good at reining herself in to be a shinobi when she was called upon, especially when the one doing the calling was the Kazekage. She eagerly awaited some sort of order or command.
Active Characters

CDF

Post by CDF » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 am

He was quiet for a moment. It had been a long time since anybody had corrected him, much less told him he was doing something bad or hurtful. It was a powerful reminder of why he couldn't live alone in his headed, he needed friends to remind him he wasn't perfect. He had no intention of hurting her feelings or faith, and had she not reacted, hey may not have ever realized it. She sounded hurt and confused, and towards the end, it was all replaced by duty. That was something he had seen many times before, the swallowing of pain and sorrow and replacement with duty.

For the first time, he was a little at odds as to what to say next. And as he truly always loved to do when possible, he decided to be honest instead. Apologetically, he looked to her and responded. "I apologize, I have spent so much time alone with these thoughts that I haven't gotten any experience sharing them. I didn't think of how they would affect you. It's important to me that you realize I'm not perfect, however, because I'm going to be relying on you more and more.

There's a lot I want to do, Kiyori. I think the world is headed quickly into a new future where if we're not careful, we'll find our village and our people losing to the other nations in the world. I dream of a time when countries around the world look to us for guidance, moral, spiritual and political. But for that dream to come true, many complex and unlikely plans need to come to fruition. You're going to be playing a major part in that. The last few years, you and the scribes have been doing good work, but it has all just been building up a foundation for what's next."
Turning to look out once again, he dramatically raised a hand and lifted the sun, increasing the angle so it was now shining down like the midday sun, flooding the village with light. "I want to create a global library system that will ensure every corner of this world is entitled to free information. These libraries will serve to educate the public, spread our culture throughout the world and provide a foot in the door for diplomatic relations. It'll be complicated, we'll be opposed at almost every turn and we'll be juggling an absurd amount of risks and responsibilities. You'll need to build a team, you'll need to travel and you'll need to lead." Again, he found himself biting his tongue to refrain from saying more.

This was the ultimate grooming mission. It was an assignment that would send her across the world to meet with scholars, soldiers and leaders of all levels and locations. She would have to develop her own team, her own organization and be the point-person on Hito's plan to spread their culture to the rest of the world. It was a massive responsibility, and in typical Hito fashion, he was dumping it all on her at once. She was lucky he wasn't going ahead and revealing his vision of her future to her.
- zenchou

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Kiyori had not intended for the Kazekage to be hurt by her response, nor did she want for him to apologize. Truth be told, she wasn't sure what she had wanted when she said what she did... maybe just for him to recognize and understand it. "My lord, It's me who should apologize. I didn't mean to upset you, I just don't like hearing you speak so ill of yourself and your predecessors. You are a beacon of faith within the village... if the people cannot look up to you, then who?" The question was rhetorical, she didn't expect a response; she just wanted that idea to remain in his head. Whether he thought he was perfect or not, the people of Suna did... he couldn't shatter their hope as he had just shattered hers.

Moving on from the personal topic back to one more suited for a proper talk, Kiyori listened with unerring focus as Hito laid out his thoughts and plans for the future, and what her position in those plans was. She was meant to essentially be a missionary to the other countries at large, leading an intellectual and cultural revolution throughout the lands by erecting libraries through the influence and power of the scribes, while also spreading the light of Yuumagure to the world. She only had one reservation about these plans... "Lord Kazekage, I would love nothing more than to spread Her Light across the world, to open the eyes of those who have never known Her Light and educate the masses at the same time. I think it's a wonderful idea... but i'm not even a jounin. I can't possibly be trusted with that much responsibility. Plus, I'm also just the lead archivist of the scribes, I can't lead them unless the order comes straight from you. You are the leader after all..."

Kiyori wasn't sure what all she expected by now, but the more Hito talked, the more it sounded like he was wanting to say more. She wouldn't pry however, he would tell her only what she needed to know and nothing more, and she was fine with that. She would wait patiently for him to respond, looking up now at the sun that had moved to sit above them and taking another bite off of her biscuit, choking the admittedly dry bread down with some more coffee.
Active Characters

CDF

Post by CDF » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:37 pm

Hito looked deeply contemplative as she spoke. She was bringing in a new information and perspective about his people that he hadn't truly considered. They looked to him as a god whether or not he thought the idea was foolish. He had looked up to the Kazekage, but more as he looked upon the authority and position as godly. It had so much control and was dedicated to its people, it was truly great. But to pin your hopes and futures on one entity, convinced he's your messiah... that was foreign to him.

This is why he needed to socialize more. The thought crossed his mind as Kiyori mentioned her rank, his smile came through natural and clear. The thought made him laugh a little and he was suddenly standing up. "You know, I've travelled a bit. I've met world leaders and I've met some villains. I've met people far stronger and more powerful, and I used to once hold awe for the rift between us. I've come to learn rank is but a title." Motioning for her to grab his hand as he channeled, he took a breath and smiled at her. He spoke while she moved, "However, since it does hold such value in this world, I must adapt and do things the right way."

When she grabbed his hand, they would both travel suddenly back to his ceremonial office. It was in one of its rare clean and orderly phases, minus the two aids sleeping in the chairs. The moment they arrived, Hito turned to his desk and grabbed a golden emblem from the desk along with a scroll. He passed the emblem to her first, letting her hold it before he spoke.

"This is my new way of promoting some jounin. Those that have earned my personal attention, approval and trust. It is an emblem that will come with growing years to have more authority around the world and will open doors, bring hope and strike fear into the hearts of many. Because it will mean this is a person with the support of the Kazekage himself." Smiling wide, shamelessly puffed his chest and continued. "I've linked the emblem through fuuinjutsu forged into the metal, through Jikukan and Fuuinjutsu, you may contact me at any time and if desired, we can go to one another's location at a call. And!" he said excitedly now, taking a moment of suspense and making a bit of a ridiculous face, "It belongs to you, our great villages newest Jounin and first shinobi of her kind."

He still had the scroll, but there was no need to lay it on thick. He didn't have to witness her reaction to something so personal. Instead, he was going to enjoy this one.
- zenchou

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:11 am

As Hito spoke and extended his hand for her to take, she nodded and gulped a bit... she hated the feeling of this teleporting stuff Hito had taken to doing, but it was the only way out of this place. With a deep breath, she took his hand, and a moment later they stood in his office. The sudden shift in scenery was jarring as always, but she regained her composure just in time to see the metal emblem that Hito offered her. She was... being promoted? It was shocking to say the least, all of the things she had messed up recently with the ruins, not to mention her actions had resulted in an emergency sealing needing to be done on Arata.

She stood for a few moments stunned, and at first she didn't take the emblem from his hands. "Sir, this is an incredible honor... But i'm not sure I can accept it. My recent actions almost sparked an international incident, and resulted in both myself and Arata being put in incredible danger. Not to mention i'm now in possession of not one, but two of Konoha's unique releases. I've no doubt that will be cause for concern with our allies, and I have every intention of approaching them personally as soon as possible to inform them of the situation. I already almost caused one incident, I can't let myself be cause for another... Are you sure you want to put me in such a high position of power within the village with all of that hanging over my head?"

She obviously wouldn't question him too much; if the Kazekage was sure of something, it was nigh impossible to change his mind. This was more for her own benefit... she needed to know this was really something that Hito had thought over, and not an impulsive decision. Hito was known for the occasional impulsive decision... or maybe it was just that his mind worked so fast that it seemed impulsive to others, while in reality he had thought it over entirely in such a short time.
Active Characters

CDF

Post by CDF » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm

He smiled with that same look a father gives his child when they say something impressively cute. Here he was, ranking her up after a full conversation about how important she was to his future plans, and still, she worried she wasn't ready. She put the potential diplomatic repercussions of her promotion above her desire to be promoted and it was just another reminder that he was making the right choice.

"There are many times I make decisions that I'm not certain of, but because I am who I am, I must convey absolute certainty." Softening his voice and looking at her directly, he continued. "This is not one of those times. Even if there were dire consequences for it, this promotion would need to happen. If there was ever a shinobi that could acquire two of Konoha's most precious secrets and not be hated for it, it's you. And truthfully, I don't think you made a mistake when fell into that temple either. You have time and again proven yourself to be an incredible asset for the future of this nation."

Standing up straight and becoming a little more formal again, he decided to let out a little more of the news he had been keeping from her. "Most importantly, however, I NEED you to become a Jounin. I can't have the scribes be led by a Chuunin, can I?" Smiling again, he waited a moment for the information to set-in and for her typically humble response before cutting her off. "As I said before, my vision for our village's future is complex. I simply can not handle it all, and trying to is what has made me so ineffective these last two years. It's time I finally see who I can trust, and give them what I know they can handle. And I know you can handle this.

You will still operate under my general instruction, but day-to-day functions and management of the organization and its members will fall on your shoulders. It's something you've effectively done before, but now it'll be official. Think you're ready for that as well?"
- zenchou

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:47 pm

... was he trying to get her to faint in his arms? If so he was damn close to accomplishing his goal. Jounin promotion AND leader of the scribes? Had he gone mad? No, there was truth to his words; even if he was the beacon of faith to those of Suna, he was still mortal. He had limits on what he could do, and even one in his position had to pass on tasks to others. And so she was being put in command of one of the greatest accomplishments Hito had ever brought about; the Scribes of the Sand, the group of his own creation, was now her responsibility.

Finally, she bowed to a knee and lowered her head in utmost respect. "Lord Kazekage, there are not enough words to express my gratitude. Not just for the promotion or the leadership of the scribes, but for the amount of trust you have put in me. Where others have seen my mistakes, you continue to see only success, even where I cannot see it. I will not fail you... I cannot fail you." Finally she rose and accepted the insignia he had offered her and bowed once again. "As my first request as Jounin, I wish to immediately head for Konoha to explain the source and situation regarding my powers. And if possible, I will also request to learn how to harness these powers of mine from Konoha, so that I might better use them for the benefit of both of our great nations. And I would request that Arata come with me as support... After all, the spirit residing within him has only one task; protecting me. I fear he may go mad if he cannot be by my side in this endeavor."

She would wait for Hito's command to rise before she would do so.
Active Characters

CDF

Post by CDF » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:27 pm

As she spoke, Hito's mind did that thing it sometimes did. It just... exploded. As a complicated idea approached, the entirety of his mind raced to catch up with it. He could see suna on the map, zooming out and then moving to konoha and zooming in. He saw the soon-to-be Hokage and flashes of the village as well as Kiyori training among the trees. His vision returned to Suna where a steady line of shinobi Kiyori's age were walking in and out of his office, each with their own ensignia. He saw Shigekuni watching over all of them from his guardpost.

He saw the desert filled with people, bowing in the direction of her village, light radiating althroughout it. A light that began to flood across the mental map of the world he could now see.

This woman was the future. He'd have to orchestrate it, but he could see now that either through fate, divine intervention or coincidence, she was becoming the center of the future. Her friends were rising to high places around her, the stage was being set specifically for her, and she would be the one to make his ambitions a reality.

So with a heavy smile, he put his hand on her shoulder and made an upward motion, enough to let her know to rise but also maintain his hand on the shoulder. "Your loyalty is commendable, but remember that to err is human, and we are both human. Now, your thinking is right but your timing is off. It hasn't even been 48 hours since you've returned, I'm not about to send you to Konoha. A friend of yours is being inaugurated as Hokage in a week anyways, you can go then. For now..." A devilish smile spread itself across his lips. He was extremely amused while he channeled chakra into his hand. "Forgive me for this, but it's time for you to celebrate." Widening his smile further, he grabbed the scroll and put it into her hands before suddenly teleporting her to the Henrin compound. Once she arrived, she'd find a bit of a festival had been prepared by her family who were waiting for her now.

Chuckling to himself, he walked back to his chair and returned to the vision. He couldn't help but wonder why he wasn't the one the world would revolve around, but then he quickly remembered that's not his role. He was an architect of the future, not its star. His legacy would be a new world, not dominion of it.

With a sigh, he released a chakra string to make sure the door was locked before reaching into the cabinet and grabbing one of the many illegal substances he'd collected, created and catalogued. Whenever his mind worked at peak performance like this, he liked to experiment with it a little. It'd be a fun hour after a very satisfying conversation.

Things were moving along nicely.
- zenchou

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”