[Graded]The Barley Grain For Me

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:36 am

Zekka had always been interested in the spirits of old. Mighty beasts of massive chakra power that could destroy entire villages with the bat of an eye, if left to their own devices. He had done studies and read much about them in his young lifetime as he toiled away, and was eager to accept the offer to have one sealed inside of him for the sake of the village. However, looking back on it, if he truly knew what it was like having Rei no Kami sealed within him, he may have declined. It was too late for theorizing, however, as it had been sealed within him for well over a year, and he had since come to terms with both the good and bad of the owl within him, thanks to the help of the Creation host. With neither the Creation host nor the Soul host really in the picture, Zekka felt somewhat responsible to pass on what information and aid he could to other spirit hosts, especially in the case of one Arata Fujitsuna. The man, at least according to the rumors, had no say in whether or not to be sealed, as the spirit within him tried to rend and tear his soul to pieces and take his body for a joy ride.

The Shuudoushi heir had done what little research he could in to the man he was going to meet, trying to learn about where he came from, who he really was, but unfortunately there wasn't a whole lot of information. His clans archives tended to keep records of 'important' individuals in the forms of other clan heads, their heirs, merchants, and the like, but due to their very nature, full time shinobi were much harder to come across information on. A connection of his fathers led him to the scribes libraries, which held some census information regarding parentage, but that was as far as Zekka was able to delve by himself, and without prying into records he didn't have legal access to. As such, the short boy had taken it upon himself to mark down the address of Arata, and pay him a visit. It was in one of the multitude of apartment buildings scattered throughout Suna, housing shinobi and civilian alike, though some were designated housing for ninja, some were mixed housing with no discrimination.

Regardless, Zekka was, per usual, a bit of a sore thumb with his brightly colored robes mussing the sand as he walked, erasing his footprints as he walked to be replaced with natural looking disturbances instead. His hands were folded into his sleeves carefully, and occasionally the cloth parted to reveal his slender hands, and a piece of paper with instructions to the apartment building, only to be hidden once more. He had come at what he hoped was a fairly agreeable time of ten-o-clock in the morning, and while the mans file indicated he wasn't on a mission at the moment, it was entirely likely he was gone elsewhere for the day. As he walked up stairs, his feet made little noise against the steps, more noise coming from the sway of clothing, and as he stopped in front of the apartment number listed on the paper, he knocked three times, speaking quickly after. "Fujitsuna-san?" He called to the door, patiently waiting for some kind of reply, whether it be a door opening, or shouting back through the walls.
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

Post by Willoria » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Arata wasn't sure what he was expecting when he opened that door, but it certainly wasn't Zekka. The knocks were precise, and as he drew close the call of his name was more formal than he had ever heard before. Given his status in the village, he was lucky to hear his name at all when people wanted his attention, they certainly were never polite about it. He pulled the door open and for a moment could only stare at the boy before him. Clearly he was young, and the fact that Arata towered over him nearly two feet caught even himself off guard, and of course the clothes were strange. Arata of course wore his usual dark garb, the opening of his kimono showing the build of his chest and both his tattoos, one of which was still rather fresh. But the sleeves were rolled up, showing the burn-like mark on the inside of his right forearm, the mark of his spirit he now hosted, Kogasha.

"I'd ask if you're selling something, but I doubt it in that outfit." He remarked in his confusion as he leaned against the door frame and crossed his arms. "And I'm guessing someone sent you. No one is willingly that polite to me." He added as he looked over Zekka's head and up and down the hall, as if expecting someone else to show up from around the corner.

When no one did, he finally looked at the kid in front of him with a rather confused look. "What do you need?" Arata likely reeked of alcohol, another three empty bottles resting in his sink as the pair spoke, as well as the smell of that foul weed as he still had one burning between his fingers. If the man had ever cared about getting caught with it before, he clearly didn't now.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Likewise, when the door was opened, Zekka did not get what he was expecting. The man looked half-awake, at least in the way he dressed, especially in contrast to Zekka, who only had his neck and head exposed to the sun -- The harsh sun of Wind Country made it a necessity for most. The heavy waft of alcohol hit the Shuudoushi boy in the middle of his observations, as Arata was speaking, likely projected from his breath. It was far too early in the morning to be drunk, thought Zekka. "Oh, erm, no... Not selling anything, and I'm here... of my own volition..." His voice trailed off as he followed the mans eyes, expecting them to lead to something of note, but he quickly bowed low in a sign of respect befitting of even the highest nobles.

"Fujitsuna-san, my name is Shuudoushi, Zekka, of the Shuudoushi clan. I am also host to the spirit Rei no Kami." The brightly colored boy introduced himself, slowly rising to look up at the tall man, locking eyes with a calm smile on his face. "I have lived with Rei no Kami for well over a year now, and was trained in how to work with my spirit by the previous creation host, Henrin, Akio, and in his absence, I would like to pass on his knowledge to better your connection with the spirit that you host." His words were incredibly formal, and his tone left no room for joking about, though the look on his face portrayed traces of confidence instilled from his childhood training as a diplomat.

Zekka bowed once more, not nearly so low this time, and spoke when his back was straight once more. "I may be young, but I believe we can both benefit from the experience of eachother, I'm sure you'd be able to teach me as much as I could try to teach you." The entire opening sequence, of course, had been carefully practiced in front of a mirror for a day before the actual meeting. Zekka often did such things, planning out entire conversations, and how to respond to certain questions and react to certain responses, trying his best to be prepared, even though the conversations didn't always go as planned.
"It's so sad!" the reader said to the writer with a frown. "The character in my book just died!" The author turned to her and burst out into tears, "I know!" he said, "So did mine!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Arata visually tensed as Zeka mentioned his spirit, one hand subconsciously going to cover the mark on his arm as the boy spoke. "Shuudoushi." He remarked under his breath as he looked at Zekka a moment, blinking as he tried to think if he knew this boy in particular somehow. The name at least seemed familiar. "That explains the formalities then." He added with a sigh before stepping aside and motioning for Zekka to come in. "Hardly a conversation for the hall. Come in." His words were the closest to formal of course that Arata almost ever got to. And yet as Zekka would likely walk in, he brought that blunt up to his lips and inhaled the smoke sharply before closing the door behind him and walking further into the apartment himself.

It was fairly small, and a completely open floorplan. Against one wall was his bed and against another was a small kitchenette of sorts, with a sink full of empty liquor bottles. "Who is this child? Who is Rei no Kami?" Arata visibly flinched as the spirit's voice echoed in his mind and he had to hold back a snarl at it.

Attempting to ignore Kogasha, Arata walked over to his small couch and cleaned various things off of it, taking away another handful of bottles which he threw in the trash before he motioned for Zekka to sit, and he took a chair from the table himself to sit on. "I'm guessing this means someone told you about Kogasha." Arata stated simply before wrinkling his nose as the spirit's voice came again.

"Hikari Hogo Sha. You know this. He probably knows that name, not your butchered nickname for me."
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:35 pm

The blonde-haired boy nodded his thanks to the man, carefully stepping inside the messy household. His senses were immediately assailed by the smell of smoke, or more accurately, smokeleaf. His heightened sense of smell and taste thanks to his spirit would have detected it outside, even, but it was not nearly so apparent as it was dulled out from the mans alcohol-induced odor. It didn't take long for the boy to adjust, though his nose very clearly wrinkled up in distaste, and the familiarity meter between the two dropped a few points.

All the same, Zekka took the seat offered to him, straightening out his robes, and sitting with his back as straight as could be, somewhat unfitting of a child his age, legs out in front of him. The Shuudoushi was taking mental notes of the mans house, his livelihood, and even how he spoke and reacted to each piece of stimuli individually. He certainly couldn't tell what the grimaces on Arata's face were caused by, though, and it would only send him into a spiral of worry if he continued to think on it. "As I understand it, most of the village knows already. Apparently quite the spectacle. I was away in Pebble Country, at the time." The boy admitted, getting straight to business.

"Kogasha... Is that its preferred name?" He asked, tilting his head a bit as he thought on the name, the kanji for the name 'Hikari Hogo Sha' rearranging themselves in his head until it clicked. "Rei no Kami often goes by a moniker when it speaks to other spirits..."
"Those were private conversations." The owl interrupted him coldly, Zekka didn't respond, instead continuing to speak. "But, as I've discovered, all the spirits have their... quirks." Zekka smiled as he said that, shaking his head a bit as he recalled Akio's stories about first contact with the creation genma. The results were usually violent and unpleasant, and Zekka's own experiences weren't much better. Now, Rei no Kami mostly ignored him until he called for power.

Once more, the boy straightened his robes, before folding one leg over the other. "We have been granted these gifts from the Sun..." Zekka started, his hands coming out of his sleeves to fold over his knee more casually. "Yet each one appears to have its own tests for us, but such is the will of god, only the worthy shall truly appreciate his gifts, no?"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:59 pm

"I'm sure it was..." Arata mumbled as Zekka referred to his sealing as a "spectacle". He knew after all that if they had been able to remove Kogasha from him without killing him, they would have. He was still surprised they hadn't done it anyway. He was known for his faithless and lecherous ways after all, considered hardly fit to still be a shinobi. Even he couldn't argue that he had been worth both saving and being given this kind of power.

But as Zekka spoke of this as a blessing from the sun, Arata shook his head. "This is no blessing. This is a curse." He said rather harshly. "Kiyori was blessed, and this spirit was supposed to die. Instead he latched onto me like a parasite, desperate to take care of the Light Kiyori received." He shook his head again and cleared his throat. "I think he guarded it for so long hes in love with her."

"Blasphemy!"

Yet again Arata flinched at the sound of the voice and seemed to growl under his breath. This time he thought he noticed a look from his odd behavior. "He spends a lot of time yelling at me. He was a coyote, and yet hates the fact that I don't buy into this blind faith."

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:15 pm

The name Kiyori struck a chord with Zekka, but his teacher had never mentioned Arata to him, and surely another spirit host would have been worth mentioning during their reunion after his return. He would file it away to ask the Henrin later, though he dismissed it as a fairly common name that anyone could have... Right? "God acts to his own wills, it's not for us to understand why he does what he does." The Shuudoushi's own faith had been tested a fair number of times, and it had left him wanting. Privately, he was no longer such a great believer that god was good, and his avatar the kage was without flaw, but publicly such things were blasphemous.

However, as the mans speech continued, Zekka's brow furrowed deeply. It was almost certainly his Kiyori that Arata was speaking about. He let the man finish, before unfolding his leg, and letting out a sigh of his own. "You haven't kicked me out yet, so if I may suggest a simple first step..." He began, clearing his throat, "I'm sure the spirit doesn't particularly care if you consider it a blessing, but to speak so harshly of it... You are meant to be partners. Whether either of you likes it or not, you'll be stuck like this for the rest of your life... And, as for your spirit, if you die with him still in you, he has to remain in your corpse. It's not a pleasant deal for either side. Finding a way to keep each-other happy and alive is key..."

The boy trailed off, before shrugging and unfolding his hands, showing his palms. "If he truly does love the light inside of Kiyori-san, perhaps he'd be pleased to spend more time around it. A simple first step, is all, might open a door for you!"
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Naturally, Arata grimaced as this kid spoke of God and his will, but he was thankful for at least one thing. Zekka didn't seem to go missionary mode on him like Kiyori had tried. As the boy went on to speak of the spirit and the cons of their arrangement, Arata's mind wandered, but not so much so as to completely distract him. Zekka was clearly much younger, and yet knew so much more about his spirit, and about how they functioned in general. "He won't even let me get drunk." He muttered with a bit of a chuckle.

Yet as Zekka mentioned spending more time around Kiyori, Arata nodded. "He says it is up to us to protect her now... claims thats why he joined me. He saw in my head, my...sins." Arata seemed to grit his teeth at the subject. Kiyori was the first person he had really spoken to about his twin sister's fate. He clearly wasn't ready to speak of it again. "He said I would need help protecting her... so I don't fail again."

For a moment the man fell silent, pausing to look at the rolled herb he had somehow forgotten about in his hand before putting it out in an ashtray on the table. "Yet every time I see her, I can't keep..." he trailed off. He was going to say he couldn't keep his hands off her, but somewhere in his mind the spirit was reminding him of the age of the boy in front of him and he chuckled. No... no need to scar the boy.

"Last time I was close to her I kissed her. And I don't know how to keep Kogasha from pushing me again."

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:29 am

"We've all got sins to bear." Zekka responded with a polite shrug. "Whether it's the sins of ourselves, or those around us, there's always room to share the load." The young boy smiled, folding his hands in his lap as he listened to Arata speak, nodding patiently as he expressed his concerns. The blonde blushed a light shade of pink at the mention of the kiss, and internally he thought that's why Kiyori hadn't shared the tale with him. She wasn't the type to be easily embarrassed, but private matters were still private, and Zekka felt like he was prying, now.

Zekka wrinkled his nose as the smoke wafted off the rolled up smokeleaf, turning his head to cough into his shoulder a bit. "Well, silly as it may sound... Have you tried asking politely?" The boy tilted his head once more, his eyes rolling up as though looking for the right words to say. "Striking a bargain is the best you can do... Unless you need to force him down." He recalled back to the story of how the two had come crashing into the village, Arata nearly a husk. "You own the body, you can make sure the spirit is never happy again for as long as you live, and possibly longer. Rei no Kami wanted to see the world, and its people, that was its primary condition for allowing me control over his power." Zekka sighed, sweeping a hand in front of him as if to gesture to everything around him. "And, no offense, but I think he might be a bit happier if you made his surroundings a bit... cleaner."
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Arata couldn't help a chuckle as Zekka mentioned bargaining with the spirit, well that and the boy's blush had made him chuckle. "I'm going to guess you didn't ask around about me too much before coming here, did you?" Arata remarked, shaking his head and sighing. "Honestly most of them would have told you to stay away from me or that you were too young to be around me." He added, contemplating how to explain to a kid why he wasn't a good person to be around, and in turn why it was so hard to be with that spirit. "Look I... I am notorious for being a bad influence and spending too much time either drunk or... with the wrong kind of women." He seemed to squint a moment as he tried to find a way to explain it, despite popular opinion of him the last thing the man wanted was to expose the kid to anything he was too young or naive for. But in a sense that meant he could hardly say anything to the boy in complete honesty.

"This spirit wants me away from those things... I could swear he wants me around a better kind of people, around women like Kiyori and I don't... I don't do that. I don't taint people like that." He shook his head. "Making deals with this thing... hell even if I believed in yuumagure, it goes against it. This spirit is a thing of darkness that loves the light, when in reality I guess in our modern interpretation thats exactly what he needs to be kept from. He claims it used to be different."

Arata couldn't help a bit of an ironic chuckle as something occurred to both him and the spirit at the same time. 'This is why we fit together, child. I am you in another world. You are the darkness in your village, and Kiyori-chan is the light. This is why you are perfect to protect her, just as I was perfect to protect the light."

Arata shook his head again. "I never realized how hard I was to explain to anyone until now." he muttered with an odd sort of laugh.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Zekka remained silent for the entirety of the mans speech, clearly listening to every word, but his eyes wandered about the messy apartment, scanning over overflowed trashcans, resting on empty bottles of alcohol, and with the most distaste, glancing at ends of smokeleaf, sucked dry and put out everywhere. "Maybe I should speak more plainly..." He said as Arata finished talking, the young diplomat met his gaze with an odd fierceness, and his eyes turned a shade or three of red away from their normal milky white color.

"You're a fuck up, Fujitsuna-san." He said, maintaining his politeness while speaking in a language the man was more likely to understand. "This place is a disgrace to the village. But it's not too late for you." The young Shuudoushi sighed, his ears burning red from the embarrassment of cursing, as well as the mans previous talks of 'the wrong kind of woman.' "You're at a turning point in your life, and you can continue to wallow away in self pity and alcohol, or you can make a change. Don't think of it as what the spirit wants, think about it as what's best for you. It clearly has good intentions in mind, it wants you to better yourself... And maybe if you listen to it, do your best to be good, it might let you have your alcoholic fun every once in awhile."

Zekka took a deep breath and let it out, straightening himself in his seat once more. "Give and take. You cannot simply expect the world to be as you ask when you wont do what it asks of you every now and again, too."
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Arata didn't say a word as Zekka spoke, and in fact he didn't even move at all from the way he was sitting. But the more Zekka spoke, the darker the expression on Arata's face. The man who usually laughed off every insult that had been flung his way, and this certainly hadn't been the first time he had been called a fuck-up. Truthfully being called that and a disgrace didn't bother him in the least, it was when Zekka had come to the point of speaking of 'give and take'. At some point as the boy spoke, Arata's eyes closed and he let out an even breath, and when he heard Zekka shifting, and knew his words had come to an end, that was when he slowly opened his eyes. "As I thought, you know nothing of me." he said in an uncharacteristically cold tone.

'Be easy on the boy, he doesn't know.'

Arata leaned forward once more, elbows resting on his knees as his eyes stared directly into Zekka's. "I answered when this village called, I gave everything. And when it came right down to it, when my hands were covered in my twin sister's blood, this village failed me." he continued, his tone turning more towards a snarl as a hint of silver seemed to begin to leak into his eyes. "I have given everything." he repeated, hands clenching into fists.

'Please, he's a naive boy, there is no need for this anger.'

Arata's head turned and stared down at his own hands as he heard the spirit in his own mind. "You can leave now, Zekka." Arata told the boy carefully, forcing the words out as he fought to keep his own anger under wraps.

'He's a guest, boy...'

'Which is why I'm letting him leave unbloodied.'

Somewhere in the back of Arata's mind, the spirit Kogasha sighed hopelessly.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:16 am

Zekka's own anger had begun to boil over. Even as he finished his last word, he couldn't hold in the tiniest bit of contempt he felt for the mess that this place was. He felt no direct anger towards Arata, but more towards the state that he kept himself in. Calling it pity might be more accurate, and the young Shuudoushi just couldn't hold that back to himself in his words. It was very undiplomatic of him, and only showed his inexperience when it came to his chose profession. He was incredibly young, after all, and raw talent can only do so much, especially in areas where the heart tends to take the lead.

The boy closed his eyes as Arata spoke, letting it wash over him as he took a deep breath, calming himself, letting the angry words of the man pass over him rather than through him. "Fujitsuna-san..." He started, rising out of his seat, before stopping himself. "Arata. You've given much in service, but you've also given in to your self indulgence." The boy finally opened his eyes, channeling chakra into his Yosuatsugan, and opening his arms wide giving his jutsu time to cast before continuing. "Think on what I have said, that's all I ask. If you would like to take the hand offered to you, you can find me at the Shuudoushi compound most days. I apologize for angering you, truly." And with that, he bowed deeply once more, as he had when they first met, showing more respect than might have been deserved, before turning and stepping his way around bottles to leave the apartment.
Jutsu UsedShow
Clear Tranquility
B-Ranked Ninjutsu
Channeling chakra into his Yokuatsugan and twenty meters around him, Zekka suppresses most emotions to a minor degree, pushing targets in to a state of serenity and self-understanding. Unlike most clan jutsu, this will not force targets to feel specific emotions, instead aiding in removing confusion as it clears the heads of all but the wildest of animals. This is often used to make people realize what they really want, and for those with great self-conflict can be used to clear things up; Used in combat this technique will make many have to stop and think for a moment, though those who definitely wish to fight, or those who definitely wish to stop fighting will do so. This technique can last for up to six posts.
Ninja Info CardsShow

Grand Shogun of River
Suzuko
Just another girl

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”