Story of the Soul

Sakaki's Lonely Thread

TyDie

Story of the Soul

Post by TyDie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:15 pm

Chapter 1: First Impressions Alone, Sakaki sat in her room... The past week had made almost no sense to her. First she underwent that strange ritual, where a supposed god had been forced into her body, changing her in ways she had never dreamt. Then she met Souta, her new guardian and handler that was meant to protect her from the genma... and the village from her, if ever the worst occurred. The worst... It still hadn't dawned on her how close to death she had come that night, and how close to death she now was. But the most unnerving part remained; Shishire had been very quiet since the sealing. According to all she had been told it was a snooty, self important, hypercritical, manipulative being who took great joy in turning everything to it's whims. And yet... it was quiet? That seemed incredibly odd for such a personality. But today, she aimed to change that. Today, she would venture deep within herself and pierce into the Genma's realm inside her. As was explained to her Akihito-sama a few days after the sealing, this is what was known as the 'mindscape'; a place within her mind that she could go to to speak to the genma directly.

To access it, all she had to do was close her eyes and will it. And so she did so, crossing her legs into the lotus position as she took in a deep breath. The girl hated meditation, and that was exactly what this felt like. She always got ansty and fidgity when she tried to do it. Gah... This is so dumb. I never feel anything when I do this, it's always just boring silence until I fall asleep. I wish you'd just talk to me already, Shishire...

...I cannot remember the last time a newly sealed host asked me to speak to them.
A sudden gasp escaped Sakaki's mouth, and before she knew it she was back in that strange place... all around her, sprawling towers of dark stone with pointed tips and beautiful, garish windows surrounded her, boxing her into a 50 meter area covered in lush grass and a few dead trees. It had changed slightly from the first time, the trees hadn't been there before... And now, next to the gravestone, there was a large black throne laden with onyx crystals. The gravestone still bore her name on it as before, but now the date of death was different... it was shorter than before by a few years.

In the throne sat an ephemeral version of herself, a transparent ghost of black chakra that assumed her shape. "You are either brave or foolish, child, to request an audience. Do not bother explaining which, I already know." The creature, the thing mimicking her form crossed it's legs and entwined it's fingers as it eyed Sakaki up and down, glowing black eyes following every inch of her form, looking for every single flaw it could find.. and finding plenty to pick at. "Your posture is horrible, your back will be hunched by the time your 30 if you keep that up. And your hair child, do you even know what a brush is? Your clothing, so wrinkled and ragged, you may as well be wearing a burlap sack... It would look better than your current attire at the very least. And I won't even begin to comment on your-"

"STOP IT!!" Sakaki cried out, interrupting the genma's systematic criticism of every bit of who and what Sakaki was. It tilted it's head to the side and chuckled slightly. "Ooh... Strike a nerve, did I? Or Multiple?" Sakaki had to center herself... she couldn't cry, not in front of this thing. She couldn't allow herself to show weakness. "Tch, please... You already have shown weakness, child." Sakaki's eyes went wide with shock... the creature could read her thoughts? "Of course I can, fool. You and I are one and the same now. I run through every part of you now, every fiber of your being contains me within it... Like a living, breathing prison cell." Shishire's tone dropped suddenly at the mention of her jailing, and it's eyes narrowed with fury.

"Yeah, that's right! Don't forget, Shishire, that you're my prisoner. And as long as I draw breath you'll nev-" "YOU PRESUME FAR TOO MUCH, YOU IGNORANT, SORRY EXCUSE FOR A HOST!!" Shishire's voice echoed throughout the mindscape, a powerful gust of wind blowing through the area and forcing Sakaki to cover her face as the shear fury of the genma took physical form, blasting her backwards. "YOU DARE SPEAK TO ME LIKE I AM SOME TOOL TO BE USED FOR YOUR BENEFIT!? THE GALL! KNOW YOUR PLACE, WRETCHED HUMAN!"

The form that Shishire had assumed, the form of Sakaki, twisted and grew and mutated until at last it was the same beast that she had seen the day of the sealing. It's long horns extended from it's head, it's skeletal hands hung in front of it as it lurched down towards her. It had no skin whatsoever, only bone and chakra that emanated from it's form like a thick, black fog. It appeared broken and cracked below the ribcage as well, and had no legs as it seemed to simply hover in the air. It pointed a single, skeletal finger at the young Sakaki, who was now on the ground in fright before it.

"You want to know what I am capable of? You want to know how to use my power? There is only one way to do so child; Give and Take." The beast, who was standing a solid 20 meters tall right now, was slowly shrinking down in size as it's temper began to calm slightly. It's booming voice had quieted back down, and the powerful winds had subsided to rough breezes. "I am not your prisoner, we are partners. Begrudgingly so of course, but the fact remains; I am bound to you, as are you to me. To receive my power, you must be willing to give in exchange." Sakaki, finally overcoming the sudden surge of rage, rose to her feet once more with determination in her eyes. "You're right... It was rude of me to think that I could imprison you and control you like that. I apologize."

Sakaki bowed profusely before the great spirit, earning a small grunt of confusion from the beast as it's size reduced even more, standing now only about 10 feet tall as opposed to a full 20 meters. "...Perhaps there is hope for you yet, child. Respect is the first step." Sakaki rose, her eyes meeting the skeletal spirit's for a moment as a smile formed on her face. "Does... this mean you'll tell me?" The spirit shook it's head in answer, a simple 'no' as it reduced more in size and malformed once more into the ghostly mirror image of Sakaki. "You are not yet ready to tap into even a fraction of my power, child. This was a disastrous first impression, and I expect you to correct yourself in the future if you hope to accomplish anything. Now, leave me, and return when you are ready."

Sakaki fumbled with herself, looking to her feet for a moment as the feeling of defeat washed over her... was she truly not ready? Or was Shishire simply being stingy with it's secrets? "Both. Now begone." With a wave of it's hand, the ghostly image of Sakaki warped reality around them until Sakaki was enshrouded in darkness, completely alone.

Her eyes opened and the girl gasped with shock as she grounded herself in reality, gazing at the walls of her room and feeling the softness of the bed underneath her. "...Wow, that was terrible... I have work to do." There was no time for depression in the face of failure, Sakaki rushed from her bedroom and out the door.

She had much to do before she visited Shishire again.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

TyDie

Story of the Soul

Post by TyDie » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Chapter 2: The First Lesson It had been three days since Sakaki had visited Shishire in the Mindscape, the realm created by the genma within Sakaki's mind that it resided over as lord and master. Since that day, Sakaki had done a few things... previously uncharacteristic of her. All in an effort to impress Shishire, she had taken almost all of the money she had to her name, saved over 2 and a half years, and used it to purchase a brand new outfit, some perfume, and various body care products such as lotion and hair brushes. Before, she had been a raggedy looking orphan girl, having only devoted as much as was necessary to dress herself while looking presentable in public. Such was the life of an orphan of course, and yet now she stood clad in a beautiful silk kimono, tied with a shimmering yellow ribbon, her nicely brushed and treated hair cascading down her back in gorgeous locks. She smelled of cherry blossoms, a scent she had acquired from a caravan that regularly carried exotic imports, and while she did not wear make up her pale skin was as soft as the silk that now adorned her.

Miss Miami, the woman who ran the orphanage, was filled with a mixture of absolute delight and serious concern. Being the one who helped her put on the outfit and brush her hair for her, she had plenty of time to talk to her about it. "Sakaki, dear, I always knew you would look absolutely amazing in clothing like this. Your beautiful hair in contrast with your soft skin, combined with this lovely outfit you've chosen... I feel as though i'm preparing my daughter for a wedding ceremony!" Sakaki giggled and smiled to the woman, who had been the closest thing to a mother she had every truly had. "Thank you, Miss Miami. I tried really hard, went to the best merchants I could find, all to put this together. I'm a shinobi now, I need to try to make a good impression on those I meet right?" "Oh I know honey... But that was a lot of money to spend. Are you... are you sure it was the best decision? Weren't you saving up so that you could travel to another country?" It was true... Sakaki dreamed of seeing the world, getting out of the desert to see what other lands there were. But... this was more important, right? "It's okay, Miss Miami. I'm a shinobi now, i'll make more money. This... had to be done."

Miss Miami turned to Sakaki around to face her, her warm smile lighting up the room as always. "I won't doubt you dear. Only you know whats best. By the Light you are stunning though... a few years and you'll be the envy of every man!" She giggled to herself, covering her mouth as she did so, and Sakaki blushed bright red. "M-Miss Miami! Boys are icky!" "Hahaha, Oh I know, I know! I'm only teasing. Here, look" The woman grabbed a mirror resting on Sakaki's bed, a small hand mirror but good enough that Sakaki would be able to see herself top to bottom, front to back... And Miami was right. It was night and day, Sakaki looked like a completely new person. She smiled at Miss Miami and jumped towards her, giving the woman a big hug. "Thank you, Miss Miami... But I have something I must do now. I... I need privacy." Miss Miami simply nodded, never once questioning the young woman. "As you wish, dear. I'll be upstairs if you need me. Just... please be careful dear."

Miss Miami left the room with a small bow, leaving Sakaki alone in her room once more. Sakaki let out a small sigh as she did, as a weight was lifted from her. "Miss Miami..." With a sad smile, Sakaki stared at her door for a few moments after Miss Miami left the room, thinking fondly of the woman who had devoted her life to raising her and the other orphans who she kept safe in her home. There was so much she couldn't tell her now, so much that she needed to protect her from... It was heartbreaking to know that Miss Miami would never be able to really know or understand who and what she was now. But this was not the time for such thoughts, she knew full well that Shishire's silence didn't mean it wasn't paying attention. Without a word, she took in a deep breath and closed her eyes, leaning backwards against her chair as she cleared her mind.
It took no time at all for her to find herself in the Mindscape again, surrounding by those large black stone towers once more as she stood on the lush, damp grass that covered the ground. Of course, the dead trees were still there too, as were the dark and depressing gravestones that dotted the landscape. She wasn't too sure, as she tried not to pay much attention to them, but it appeared as though there were more of them now than there were the last time. And of course, positioned right next to her own grave stone, the black throne of Shishire towered above her, and in it sat the Genma itself, still assuming Sakaki's appareance as a transparent black silhouette of chakra.

"I was wondering how long it would be before you came knocking again..." The genma spoke, and it's voice echoed through Sakaki's mind, creating a discomfort as she felt it's presence throughout the mindscape. She stood undaunted however, her arms crossed in front of her and hidden within the Kimono's sleeves, her back straight and her shoulders back and her feet just the right distance apart. She stared into Shishire's eyes, her eyes, and gave a small and proper smile. "Good morning, Shishire. A pleasure to see you again." Her voice was even, yet kind, and every word fell from her mouth with practiced ease, as if she had prepared this speech beforehand and was reading it from a paper.

Shishire tilted it's head, a minor bout of surprise washing over it as it pushed itself up from it's throne and walked slowly towards Sakaki. "My my, aren't we the prim and proper one? And you did all of this to impress me? Shihihihihi... It's about time you took some pride in yourself, child. Of course, you could still use some work; it's clear that this is your first attempt at presenting yourself with such class. But alas, I don't believe that can be taught in a day... It's leaps and bounds better than you were last time though. Your transformation is... adequate." As Shishire spoke, the ghostly image of Sakaki walked around the real Sakaki slowly, eyeing every detail of her appearance and posture. Sakaki had to stifle the urge to shirk away from the genma's analysis... she felt like a piece of meat, it was disgusting.

"Shihihihihi... You don't have to like it, child. It's all about hiding your disgust, putting your best foot forward and playing the role in which you place yourself." The genma finally made it's way back in front of Sakaki, stroking it's chin as it mused over all of the errors it had found... and yet it could not help but notice that she had done so much, just to make a better impression on it. "... I suppose this will do for now. I expect more from you in the future, however. Do not forget that." Sakaki gave a small bow before the genma, a motion of respect and understanding. "Yes, Shishire. I understand. Is... Is this enough?" Please... I just want to know what i'm supposed to do with you...

The Genma tilted it's head slightly to the right, an eyebrow raised in interest. "Oh right, you wanted to know what I am capable of... and what you are capable of, if I deign to allow you access to my power." Sakaki froze for a moment, having forgotten that the genma could read into her mind. "Y-yes, Shishire. I am expected by the village to work with you and better our village with your assistance. If I don't live up to expectations..." Shishire held up a hand to silence Sakaki, it's hand slowly retracting to rest on it's chin in thought. "Yes child, I am well aware of the consequences that will befall you if you fail to make headway with me. And while your death is hardly my concern... I also lament being stuffed in another one of those cursed containers."

There it was; self interest. Sakaki had thought that would be the case. Everything she had been told about the genma, it's self important behavior, it's desire to know all it could, and it's sadistic, tormenting nature lead Sakaki to believe that Shishire would only budge if there was something to gain in it's favor. She had made her second impression with the clothing and body care, a means of showing Shishire that she was willing to work with it. Follow that with her hunch about Shishire's disposition towards being recaptured, and Sakaki had finally gotten the leverage she needed to get something out of Shishire. The phrase 'Drawing blood from a stone' applied quite perfectly to this give and take relationship she found herself in.

"...So... Does that..." The Genma let out a small sigh and shook it's head, looking up to the sky before finally responding. "...Yes." As the word left Shishire's mouth, Sakaki could swear it was like spitting venom for the genma; it didn't want to help her, but it was cursed by their relationship just as Sakaki was. Even Shishire had to give a little now and then, and despite all it's fury and anger, it knew that. "You have asked me what it is that I do, what exactly are the parameters of my abilities. In truth, my power is limitless, though my skill and ability is... simple, in concept. Why do you think your village refers to me as "The Soul Genma", child?" Sakaki paused for a moment, thinking closely on the topic, but truth be told it hadn't really dawned on her until now.

"I... I'm not sure. Zao-sama mentioned power over life and death, but could your power really be so grand? I do not mean to anger you, but how could anything have such power as to..." Sakaki trailed off as she watched Shishire roll it's eyes and shake it's head. "Still you question me... Normally I would banish you for such disbelief, but I am feeling relatively generous right now. Instead, I will demonstrate for you exactly why Shishire no Shigenma is the most powerful creature to ever walk this earth." Shishire then put it's hands together, and without blinking or focusing or really exerting any effort at all, it pulled it's hands apart. In between it's hands, there was now a faint blue light, a sort of wisp that fluttered faintly in between it's hands.

"I am the sole master of souls, child. They are mine to do with as I see fit. Everything that lives and breaths bears host to a soul, from the smallest ant to the largest beast. And no other being in existence can harness and manipulate their power, none but I can traverse the gap between life and death, doing as I please with the souls of all life. Souls are my power, the dead are my army, and the living will inevitably serve me when their time comes to return to dust. My 'self important, snobby' attitude, as your village would describe it, is well deserved, wouldn't you agree? Am I not the most powerful being, to be able to do what no other can and twist the energy of all life to it's whims?"

As Shishire exposed it's abilities to Sakaki finally, it's hands weaved through the air, twisting and churning the soul between it's hands in whatever way it desired. The soul, who or whatever it belonged to, had no features to speak of beyond appearing as a ball of light, but still Sakaki felt some sort of emotion coming from it... Pain? She felt as though it didn't want to be manipulated in this way, that the manipulation was hurting it... And yet still she was fascinated. "So then, that's the truth of it. You can manipulate the souls of all living beings... And if I appease you, then so can I?" Shishire eyed Sakaki for a moment, as if sizing her up to be a threat, before giving a reluctant nod. "...Perhaps. We will have to see, won't we child?" Shishire clapped it's hands together, and in an instant the wispy soul was gone. "You've gotten what you came for, and I grow tired of you. Leave me."

Once more, with a wave of Shishire's hands, the world around Sakaki faded to black until only she and the Genma remained... and a moment later, the genma too faded to darkness, before Sakaki suddenly awoke from her trance to find herself back in her room. "...Okay. It's not exactly what I had hoped for, but it's progress. At least I have an answer now; With time and practice, I can learn to use Shishire's power to manipulate souls." Sakaki slowly stood from her chair, taking a moment to compose herself before heading to her bedroom door and grasping the handle, yet not opening it just yet.

I have one answer, but there are still so many questions... What use do I have for such a power? I... I need to see Souta. Maybe he can help. Letting out one last deep breath, Sakaki put back on her smile and walked out the door of her room. That smile of hers was getting a little bit harder to wear with each passing day...
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

TyDie

Story of the Soul

Post by TyDie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:02 am

Chapter 3: Becoming Death It was a very dark night in Sunagakure, uncharacteristically dark in fact. The New moon hung overhead, nearly invisible among the sparse clouds that dotted the desert's night sky. Darkness enshrouded the quiet village, and most who resided within Sunagakure found themselves in their homes, as it was well past midnight. Indeed, almost everyone was asleep... except for Sakaki, and a few genma handlers no doubt watching her from the shadows of the night. She could practically feel their eyes on her, peering into her from the abyss at the edges of her vision. She had grown so used to their prying eyes that they didn't bother her at all anymore, it was just another sense to her like hot and cold. Speaking of cold, a light shiver went up her spine as she drew her thick cloak a little tighter around herself, walking through the village with a small pack on her back filled with various items. She had a particular ritual in mind tonight, though the genma handlers following her would think it only a deep meditation and communion with Shishire.

In all honesty, it had nothing to do with Shishire.

Once she reached the small, quiet training ground, abandoned by the sun and consumed by night, she took her backpack off of her back and laid it out in front of her, untying the top to reveal it's contents. Heh, this training ground and her had a lot in common, both consumed by a darkness and abandoned by the light. Lucky for the training ground, the light would be back in a few hours for it... unlike that horrid sight she saw in that small commune. Souls trapped with nowhere to go, stuck in an endless purgatory, all the while the sun hanging above the land and taunting them with it's warmth... A warmth they would never again experience. How in the world could she let herself believe the holiness of Her Light, when she saw a perfect example that disproved it's omnipotence? If it couldn't save those souls from their horrible fate, if it couldn't bring them into her warm embrace once more... Why worship it?

I told you that from the start, child... Your sun, this 'light' you worship, is a lie. Sakaki let out a deep sigh as tears welled in her eyes, yet she did not sob... instead she continued to unpack her bag, removing from it a small prayer mat, a single candle, and a couple of conical incense burners. As she set herself up, she produced a small box of matches. As she lit the first match, she responded to the spirit finally. I know. I see that now. You don't have to rub it in. The singular flame of the match broke the darkness around her, a sole light that could be seen for miles in the darkness of the night. In that moment, amidst that all consuming darkness, Sakaki was the only light. The smallest spark of flame in an endless void... She lit the candle in front of her, the smaller light of the match being dwarfed by the candle's lit wick, before blowing out the match and using the candle to light the two cones of incense.

Oh, but I do. Humiliation is such a powerful teaching tool, child. You are far less likely to forget my lessons if I drive them home in such a demeaning way. But I do agree that, at least for now, the point has been made... Now why don't you make it a point to explain what you intend to accomplish here tonight? Sakaki took in a deep breath as she unrolled her prayer mat, sitting in a lotus position and resting her hands gently on her knees. Her eyes closed, she took in a deep, calming breath before letting it out, and would repeat this process as her heart rate slowed alongside her deeper, slower breathing rhythm. Meditation, while something she had hated growing up, had become much more important to her with the inclusion of the genma in her life.

Simple: The light has failed me, Shishire. So now, I search for another path to walk. In an instant the darkness surrounding her engulfed her, and even the candlelight in front of her faded away. In a moment her vision returned to her, and she found herself in Shishire's Mindscape, seated in front of her own grave. The date of death had extended out significantly from the last time, according to it she had dozens of years ahead of her now. Behind her stood the ghostly image of herself; Shishire, assuming her appearance, as it often did. Her eyes closed again, and a wry smirk crossed her face. "Heh... a miscalculation on your part? Last time you gave me two years tops... Now you say i'll die in my 60s. That's a big difference, Shishire." The genma scoffed and shrugged, turning it's head to the side as it spoke. "Not a miscalculation, an underestimation, child. My previous assessment was accurate only to the future at the time that I made it, but recent growth within you has improved your odds."

Just like Shishire, the spirit would never admit fault. Sakaki merely shook her head and stood from her seated position, turning to face the genma as she spoke. "None of that matters. I could've asked you without all of this ritualism, but It felt right... proper. The fact remains though, I want to ask you about death." The genma took a single hand and stroked it's chin, humming in thought as the vague topic was posed. "Do not speak in such vaguery child. I know all there is to know about death, I am it's harbinger after all. But such a discussion could last for eternity, the intricacies taking years to fully comprehend. What, specifically, is it you seek?" Sakaki looked back to her grave, and then up to the cloudy sky overhead. Through this sky, despite the clouds, the bright full moon overhead penetrated through. It appeared almost to be resting upon one of the obsidian towers, the gothic architecture supporting the pale light of the moon above them.

"Easy. I want a new path to follow. I want a path that better suits this darkness that you've filled me with, a path that surpasses the false light I've been lead to worship all my life." The genma shook it's head and sighed, crossing it's arms and clicking it's tongue in minor annoyance. "I've stated before, my path is the only one you need to follow. You could master this darkness child, if only you would let me help you." "And you know as well as I do that I can't do that. I'd be dead the moment I did so, if not by your hand then by the village's. No, I have to tread the line with you Shishire, otherwise I die and you get recaptured and stuffed in a pot until some other unlucky bastard has the displeasure of putting up with you."

The genma's blackened aura grew in intensity as Sakaki mouthed off to Shishire, a deep sound akin to a growl rising from it. "You will hold your tongue, child. You do not have the right to disrespect me with such words." Sakaki's eyes narrowed at the genma, crossing her arms in response to it's increasing hostility. A sign of defiance, she took a step towards Shishire, shortening the distance between her and the genma to merely a couple feet. "Let's talk about respect for a moment, shall we? I have shown you a great deal of respect over these years Shishire, and you continue to treat me like a 'child' as you so often refer to me. You have said before that you wish to help me, that you are impressed with me, and still you won't show me an ounce of respect despite my strides in working alongside you and putting your power to use? Where's my respect? Where's the help you promised me?"

The genma roared into it's full form as Sakaki's defiance grew, and while it's awesome appearance still shook her to her core, she refused to allow herself to back down. Frozen in place was she, not by fear this time, but by shear willpower and determination. You DARE address me with such a tone, child!? After I gave you the power to contact your mother!? After I helped you bring that failure of a host back to life!? After I helped you earn those accolades for defeating your opponent and rising in rank!? The GALL!" The spirit towered over her in rage, the sky turning to darkness as rain began to fall and thunder resounded through the mindscape, a physical testament to Shishire's fury.

"And I had to fight tooth and nail to earn every bit of that from you! I put in the work, I made the compromises, I went through the training, I even changed my clothing to suit your preferences! My mother was a piece of shit who is better off dead, Sachiko despises her current existence, and you can't say for certain I couldn't have beaten Kaen without you! Quit acting like it's all you and your glory, dammit!" Tears of anger began to well in her eyes as she lashed back against Shishire, throwing her arms at her side as she barked up at the great beast with a fire in her heart. A few moments went by as this clash between two souls halted, the silence broken by another roar of thunder and the sound of raindrops impacting the ground... And then the rain began to slow. The thunder's roar became a distant rumble. The genma's aura of chakra slowly diluted, and it's form began to reduce in size.

"Shihihihihi... Once again, you impress me child. The last host that put up such a fight was the one before the failure you raised... Setsuya, Inka. I'll have you know, in the end, his soul was torn to pieces. I couldn't call his soul forth even if I wanted to, he is lost to oblivion. Consider it a cautionary tale child... Though I admit, your fire intrigues me. I will answer your question." The genma's form continued to reduce in size, until once more it was the same size as her, and had once again assumed the same form as Sakaki. The rain had ceased all together, and the moon had once more appeared overhead... But it had changed. No longer the pale white glow typical of the moon, it now cast a dim red light over the world of Shishire's mindscape. It was ominous, to say the least, but it was a reflection of the information Sakaki sought... The path she wanted to walk.

"There is a path of life that few walk, a path full of darkness and chaos. It is not quite the same for each individual, though they all share a few commonalities... The most notable is a reverence of death and destruction. They seek to return life to death, causing pain and strife in the process, as a means of appeasing their god. Their god is the god of life, the god of death... Jashin." Sakaki drew in a soft breath as the name crossed Shishire's lips... It was a name she had heard before, considered one of the darkest and most controversial beliefs in the world. "They do not believe in material wants or needs, living life with little but the clothes on their backs and the tools they need to live their lives in accordance with their god's will. They seek to inflict pain and receive pain as much as possible, finding it to be a sacred connection between themselves and their god. And of course, they revere death with zealotry, delivering the spirits and blood of the slain to their god whenever possible. Yes, this is Jashinism; a path of blood, death and chaos."

Sakaki stared into Shishire's eyes for a moment before her gaze slowly trailed off to the moon above them, it's red glow illuminating her body, giving her the appearance of being covered by blood. "How strange... Years ago I would have believed such people to be in need of salvation... In need of Her Light. But I have seen that light for what it truly is now, and perhaps... perhaps they're right. The village put your darkness within me... But it's up to me how I use it." Sakaki took in another deep breath as she looked to the moon overhead, and another boom of thunder echoed through the mindscape as rain once more fell from the sky... But this was not Shishire's doing. No, this was all thanks to Sakaki and her newfound path in life... and it wasn't rain that fell from the sky either.

It was blood. The smell of Iron filled her nostrils as she was bathed in the blood from the lacerated sky above, the moon's red glow deepening with each second. She held her hands out in reverence, a sly grin crossing her face as the blood washed away her past and left her with only itself. By this time, Shishire wasn't even present anymore... Only Sakaki stood in this downpour of red liquid.

And a moment later her eyes opened, once again she was on the prayer mat staring at the nearly burnt out candle and the last bits of incense still burning with a dim ember. She took a few more moments to ruminate on all she had learned, and what it meant for her going forward. One thing hadn't changed at least; her loyalty to Suna remained. After all, it was through them that this darkness was put in her, and through it that she discovered this path for herself. She owed it all to them... Finally she rose and gathered her belongings, blowing out the candle and dumping out the hot wax before grabbing her incense burners and cleaning the ash off of them. Once she was all packed up, she placed the pack on her back again, heading back to the orphanage.

Looks like I've found a new path to follow... The thought brought a small, almost ominous chuckle from her throat as she made the trek home.
Active Characters

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”