[closed] Surprise Visit

TyDie

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by TyDie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:31 pm

Today the regal council member, adorned in his red and gold robes, strode through the beautiful sunny roads of Sunagakure with a calm but prepared look on his face. However, in an atypical turn of events, he was not heading for the administration building today, not yet anyway. No, on this glorious morning, he aimed to visit the home of a shinobi whom he had grown relatively familiar with over the years, one who he needed to speak with in regards to many different subjects; Meiyo, Souta. The man was a genma handler under his instruction, assigned to not only Shishire but the newly sealed host of Janesisu as well, per Souta's urging.

While there was much to be discussed on this day, he didn't want to do so at the administration building... No, he wanted a more clandestine approach to this particular situation, as there were things he wanted to say and do that he did not want recorded or publicized. This was a delicate matter, and he wanted to take care of it away from prying eyes. And so, early in the morning, Akihito graced Souta's doorstep and knocked with a sense of authority, awaiting Souta's answer. He already knew the man was home alone today, as Sakaki was off doing something else and had other handlers keeping their watchful eye on her. Once Souta opened the door, Akihito would give a stern look and a nod.

"Good morning Souta. It's urgent that we speak... Are you alone?"
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by Willoria » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Souta was in his kitchen attempting to fix breakfast when he heard the knock at his door, much to his annoyance. "Just... don't." he said, shooing at Sachiko as he attempted to corral her into the living room. The undead girl rolled her eyes at him, but took up a seat at the couch with her arms crossed as Souta went to answer the door. Being the start of his day he simply wore his usual trousers and boots, no shirt on just yet. His scars and bare chest on full display and his hair wasn't even pulled back as he opened the door. If Akihito's presence wasn't enough to cause him pause, the tone of his voice certainly was. "You know the answer to that." he replied, motioning for the man to come in. Waiting until Akihito was inside he closed the door behind the man and led him down the short hallway and into the spacious living room. "I'm guessing you're here to question me about her, so feel free." he said, motioning to Sachiko on the couch.

Sachiko couldn't help a moment of rapid blinking at the sight of Akihito, the very man who had once sealed Shishire inside of her, but all she could seem to do was wave weakly as she looked at Souta and motioned to the kitchen. "Your fox is eating your breakfast."

"Shit." Souta swore under his breath and quickly ran into the kitchen, soon emerging with a very fat and happy looking Hana in his hands. "Take her." he said, trying to hand her off to Sachiko.

Sachiko of course just made a face at him. "She tried to eat me last night!"

"You're dead flesh, of course she did, I told you to lock your door!" he replied, rolling his eyes as he quickly tossed the small fox outside before turning to Akihito. "My apologies, Akihito-Sama." he said. "The situation is strange at best and adjusting as been..." he simply shook his head. "If you'd like to ask questions of her, she's here, if you'd rather speak to me alone, she can spend time in her room or the gardens while we speak."
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by TyDie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Akihito gave a small nod as he walked through the threshold into Souta's home, but as the door was shut behind him he was immediately left breathless at the sight of Sachiko... the same girl he had sealed Shishire in no more than a few years ago. "By the light... You haven't aged a day." Akihito eyed the girl up and down as they had her amusing back and forth with Souta and went to lock the annoying pet out in the back yard of his home. Akihito, of course, was unphased by the humor of the moment, as he was clearly here on business and nothing would deter his mind from the task before him. "I'd like Sachiko to hear what I intend to say as well. It may effect her, after all. It's only fair that she have the chance to speak."

Akihito would guide himself to one of the chairs in the man's living room, gesturing to the couch opposite him so that Souta and eventually Sachiko could take their seats. "I want to be clear; While this is not a conversation taking place in the Administration building as per the norm, I am acting in my official capacity as one of the eight council members of Sunagakure, and the head of all spirit and bannin activities. Is that understood, Souta?" He would await a response from the man before he took in a deep breath and continued. "Let us start with the proverbial elephant in the room... Sachiko."

He would turn his attention to Sachiko with a stern gaze... By the light, what an abomination she had become. "I was made aware of your current state immediately upon your arrival, Sachiko. But, heavens preserve me, I did not think it would be so twisted. I have always been blunt, and that will not change today child; You are an affront to nature. against all that we who are touched by Her Light believe. I was also debrief by your man Rokuro on the mission itself Souta, and while the current host, Sakaki, was successful in putting Sachiko's fragmented soul back together, she had no right forcing this curse upon her. She should be ashamed of herself, and I trust you will ensure that nothing like this ever happens again. Shishire's power revolves around death, but not in such a long term state... No one should have to endure this forever."

His anger, while tempered, seemed to fill the room with a tangible heat... His displeasure was quite clear on his face and in his tone. He would allow a brief pause for Souta or Sachiko to speak up if they wished.
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Willoria

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by Willoria » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Ordinarily Souta would have offered a guest, especially one of Akihito's stature, tea or something to eat. But the man seemed pressed to get on with official business and so Souta didn't bother asking or offering. He took a seat on one of the couches, with Sachiko at the opposite end from him as he kept his eyes on the man before him. "Understood." Souta found himself surprised a moment that Akihito referred to 'bannin activities'. He knew it was the man's full title of course, but he found himself mentally trying to remember, had he ever used his full title? Or did he usually stop at his mention of genma? He pushed the thought aside, his mind all too curious after the day he had spent prior at the orphanage, and of course the night before that with Miss Miami. It still had his mind all kinds of distracted. But he managed to compose himself and even leaned back in his seat as Akihito began.

The moment he gave the pair a chance to speak, of course Sachiko was the first. She had never been known for patience and nothing had changed. "I know what I am." she admitted, almost boldly. "I came out of that water and still had the gaping hole in my chest from Souta's blade." she added, ignoring Souta as he turned his gaze to the table in front of them when she brought it up. "I don't know how though. I know what Shishire can do, but my body... that was the only damage to it. Otherwise I was, and am, exactly as I was left. It doesn't make sense. If I have to die I'll accept that, understand it even, but I have things I must ask of you first." she didn't even bother addressing the man before her politely or with an honorific, just as she had always been rather rude in this regard, she again and still was. "When I came out I could barely feel, I still struggle to feel emotions. I don't feel anything physical. I cannot eat. I cannot heal on my own. And... I mean there's more, but my point being is that I ask to at least survive long enough for tests to be run. My body could hold secrets, of Shishire's or of that damn plague. Find them, use them... and let me say goodbye to my sister."

Souta cleared his throat, silencing the girl as she crossed her arms in an odd huff and seemed to pout, leaning back in her seat. "My apologies, Akihito-Sama. As you can see apart from the obvious, she hasn't changed a day." he said, refraining from a smirk that wanted to break from his lips. "I also want to apologize for Rokuro. I should have come to you the night we got back and given a full report, I shouldn't have left it so that a subordinate felt the need to go to you as if behind my back." Souta knew he had a great deal to apologize for, and the fact that a night with a woman had distracted him from giving a timely report was probably the least of his problems right now. "What happened at the plague-site will not happen again. Frankly the only reason it did was because of a form unlock... Sakaki was stronger than Sachiko was when we exposed her to it but she still almost wasn't strong enough... and that is my fault. I should never have taken her with me." He knew there was a chance he wouldn't have found Sachiko's body without her, but given what had happened instead he had already begun to wonder if it would have been better to risk that...than this.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by TyDie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Akihito listened carefully to each word spoken, by both Sachiko and Souta, all through even and calculated breaths. It was clear still that he was angry with everything, but he was a man of fair judgement, and he would allow the two of them to speak their minds. Once they had both finished, Akihito would immediately direct his attention to Souta first. "I should desperately hope that it will not happen again, Souta. Your actions were reckless, and could've lead to another host going the same way as Sachiko did. You have much to be sorry about over the past few days, and I trust you will prove yourself worthy of forgiveness in the coming months." He didn't even bother apologizing to the girl, or acting as if he wanted to avoid offending her. As far as he was concerned she was a corpse, and the dead had no feelings in his mind. "With that said, however... Your mission proved a success, and in the end Sakaki survived the ordeal and acquired more power as a result of it. I'll thank you to avoid such risks in the future, but at least in this instance, your risks were met with ample reward."

Next, he would direct his attention to Sachiko, a scowl crossing his face once more. "And you... You are absolutely right that we will perform various experiments and tests on you. While I do not abide your existence child, there is much to learn from it, and rest assured we will do all we can to understand you. As for what comes after... My personal beliefs and feelings aside, that decision was not mine to make. If it were, the decision would be clear I imagine. Instead, Kazekage Sueatsu has issued this decree on the matter... 'If the child has the will to live, then let her live. Her rebirth may not have been her choice, but her continued existence is.'"

He crossed his arms and ended with a small grunt, clearly displeased with the Kazekage's ruling on the matter, yet loyal to the decision despite his disagreement. "When our tests are over, the decision whether to live or cross over will be yours. In light of that, speaking to your sister will also be your decision to make. I will not urge you one way or the other child, but I will say this; if you are still a believer in Her Light, you will find the way forward within it's glory. Look to the sun, and your path will be clear." It wasn't just some silly inspirational line that one would hear from a priest or cleric, he spoke with clear intent that Sachiko would find her way if she stuck to the religion she was raised in... If she was still capable of that belief.

"That ends that matter... On to the next; Sakaki. More importantly, your methods... They have raised concerns with my other handlers, and I have to give them voice. Souta, you are growing too close to the child... That was evident in Rokuro's description of his attempt on her life. You chose to injure another handler instead of deal with the potential threat of Sakaki losing control. I have stayed my tongue in regards to your lack of stealth or concealment, because it has shown more than adequate results that are evident in her skill and mastery over Shishire. But I believe I must ask you Souta, and you must be honest with me; Are you capable of maintaining this detail? Are you still capable of making the decision to end Sakaki's life if she loses control?"

It was one of the most important questions that any genma handler had to answer, as it was the hardest task a handler would ever have to perform. In Souta's case, he had already done it once, and had been wracked with guilt for years over a girl that he had never even spoken to. Meanwhile over the past years, he had grown close to the current host... Was he still capable of doing what the village may require of him?
Active Characters

Willoria

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by Willoria » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Sachiko fell quiet, and oddly enough remained quiet, as Akihito's attention was turned to Souta. She glanced between the two warily, looking almost concerned about what might be about to transpire. Souta himself remained quiet until the opportunity to speak, despite the way his skin crawled at some of what Akihito was saying. His own anger began to well up in his chest as he spoke of Rokuro's report, and silently Souta wondered just what the man had said. "I know my duties, and should the worst happen I will perform the deed." he said, his own tone almost cold. "Sakaki herself has accepted that as a possible inevitability and even requested that I should be the one to kill her should she lose control. I took an oath to the village, and even one to her to be able to do this, and I won't betray either." Silently he almost wondered if Akihito knew what he wasn't saying. If it did happen and he was forced to kill Sakaki, he would consider it his own final dishonor and likely perform ritual seppuku after the fact. But that was a thought and a secret he kept buried in his chest.

He ignored the look of shock Sachiko was giving him as he spoke. "As for Rokuro's attempt... he was being hot-headed and acted prematurely. I injured him because, as you and I both know, the boy does not feel physical pain. Stopping him takes greater effort... and with Kaede in the area I knew he would quickly be seen to and healed. What I did to him would be no different than knocking out someone else to incapacitate him. His condition requires stronger action..."

"Furthermore, he tried to take Sakaki's life during an unlock, not a moment of no control. Our job is to supervise the unlocks, not react to them in paranoia as he attempted to do. You and I both have seen the effects Sachiko's loss had on him, the disfigurement of his face. He thought he was seeing a repeat of the past and reacted, but fact was it was not a repeat of the past and if he had taken the time to truly watch he would have known that. He was looking for an excuse in that moment and tried to take it, I protected my charge as I am meant to do. Fact is, if he pursues such an action again, I will remove him from this team and request a replacement as he clearly wouldn't be able to make proper judgments in regards to the host of Shishire."

TyDie

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by TyDie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Akihito's stare bore holes into Souta's head as he intently watched the man's every expression while he relayed his thoughts on the matter of Sakaki's growth and Rokuro's apparent hot headed reaction. Akihito did not falter for a moment as the man spoke, despite feeling Souta's anger clear as day. "Hm. You speak the truth. Rokuro has never let go of the pain Shishire caused him as a result of Sachiko's failure. Despite his reports, I had a feeling he intentionally omitted some information regarding the situation that was presented. As the senior officer of the squad, I will accept your account of the situation... And Rokuro will be reprimanded for his gung ho attitude. I will keep him with you for the time being, but i'll be watching his every movement. If he so much as breaths the wrong way, I will remove him from duty... That is a promise."

If there was one thing Akihito despised, it was lying, and those who knew him or worked for him knew that he considered omission just as bad as lying. Rokuro knew better, and would deserve every bit of reprimand coming his way... But this was not about Rokuro. "It pains me to admit it Souta, but your actions were the proper course of action. It pains me only because of my opinion on the spirit itself, which all of you handlers well know. However, the fact remains that Sakaki is alive and well because of you, and has proceeded further down the path to mastering Shishire's power for the sake of all of us. We're not done just yet though, I still have more to discuss... your relationship to Sakaki is still a matter of concern, and one I must decipher, for you have not only been spending time with the host, but with the orphanage she resides in as a whole. You have spent time with the other children, teaching them to cook and helping the owner of the establishment, Chotarou Miami. Why?"

Akihito was truly puzzled by this one, having no real concept of Souta's past or the family he had tried to raise. He knew of the woman he was with, but not their plans that had gone up in smoke. As far as he knew, it was just another way of getting close to Sakaki... to what end? That was his concern.
Active Characters

Willoria

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by Willoria » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Souta had always been big on maintaining a level head and even professionalism when dealing with individuals such as Akihito. For the most part he had always been able to do so, at least until Akihito asked that question. For a moment Souta's eyes dropped to the floor as his mind went over the information, and not just because his night with Miami suddenly came back to his mind. It was the far more sensitive facts behind the question that suddenly caught him unawares. Swallowing hard to keep his own composure, Souta stood. He crossed the room right past Akihito to the fireplace and paced for a brief moment before coming to rest with his hand on the wall and his back to Akihito, the tattoo on his lower left side partially visible in his stance. "Hotaru." he said simply at first, clearing his throat to try and clear his head of everything that flooded it suddenly, Sachiko giving him a strange look from the couch she still sat on.

"None of that has anything to do with Sakaki that... that is about Hotaru." he finally began to elaborate, sighing as he turned to face Akihito once more. "You know about her, and you know I brought her body home but I'm guessing the file doesn't state much more than that." he continued, hands on his hips as he cleared his throat again, crossing his arms over his bare chest. "This house was supposed to be our home. Before that mission we got engaged, we were to marry when we returned, this was the home we had planned to raise our children in... and when she died that vanished." he said, chewing on the inside of his lip as he looked at Akihito a moment. The man was impossible to read, and needless to say because of that Souta didn't feel comfortable telling this to him at all.

But he knew better than to try and lie to the old man, or hide anything from him.

"I found the orphanage because of my time with Sakaki, yes. But I spend my time there because it is the closest I can get to recovering what I lost. I help with the children, I teach them life skills, and sometimes if they need things that they can't afford... I pay for it. But that is something I would do whether Sakaki was there or not. Even Miami..." He couldn't stop a wry chuckle a moment as he recovered himself. "Miss Miami has been a source of... comfort. A peace I don't find anywhere else." It had been a long time since the man felt any shame in regard to any of his doings with women, but for the first time in a long time he could feel himself starting to blush lightly as he touched on the subject.

TyDie

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by TyDie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:46 pm

Akihito was known for his stony demeanor in regards to anything and everything business related. It was well known among the shinobi population that he took his duties extremely seriously, and while he was dealing with those duties little else phased him. However, as Souta bared his heart and stated all of this information that he was not aware of, Even Akihito's stern face softened ever so slightly as he realized the truth. It had nothing to do with Sakaki, despite the fact that her living there was what drew Souta in in the first place. He was reclaiming his hopes and dreams.

"I'll have you know that despite my status and position within our great village Souta... I am not without compassion. I feel the pain of every loss this village suffers, from the great losses down to the individual. Any day where one of our own dies is a sad day, and I am sorry for your loss." As he spoke, despite the kindness in his words, his stance and tone shifted little if at all. That was just the kind of person that Akihito was. "I have no problem with what you do in your spare time. Indeed, I believe that giving to those less fortunate than yourself is a worthwhile endeavor, and it if brings you peace and happiness who am I to tell you not to? Provided you continue to put your duties as a shinobi before all else, enjoy the orphanage's company to your hearts content."

He was admittedly a little surprised at the man's reasons, but in the same vein of thought he was pleased with them. So busy was he that all he could manage to provide for the less fortunate was a financial donation here and there. It made him happy to know that one of his own subordinates was keen on taking their time and energy to do such noble work, even if there was a sense of self gratification involved. "Now... I want you to tell me, in your own words, about Sakaki. How do you feel about her? Her progress as a Jinchuuriki, her relationship with you and your feelings in regards to that relationship... As always, if anything at all comes to mind I wish to know. Omit nothing."
Active Characters

Willoria

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by Willoria » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:56 pm

To say Souta was surprised by the way Akihito spoke, the way he almost seemed to empathize with Souta himself, would be a serious understatement. In truth his shock was betrayed as he looked at the man but he rather quickly averted his gaze to keep it from lingering on his face for too long. At least not where Akihito might see it. He resumed his pacing at the fireplace as the man produced more questions, finally stopping and staring at the stonework as he thought it over. He almost couldn't face him with what came to mind first. "Two nights ago she told me she loved me." he admitted rather bluntly, resting his hands on the mantle as he tried to figure out just how to tell the man what he knew he didn't want to hear. "Miss Miami and I were putting her to bed when she said it... it shocked me so much I almost couldn't respond. I responded in kind because I thought it was what she needed to hear, I was so surprised that she even trusted me, much less... loved me, like some kind of father figure... I didn't realize until later that I meant what I said." He knew admitting that much could get him removed from Sakaki's guardian detail, and he also knew that being removed would only be a disservice to the girl. Someone like Rokuro, hot headed with less experience and a grudge to bear, might be put in his place. She might die when she could be saved, and he couldn't risk that.

"But it doesn't change my commitment, or my oaths. My job remains to protect her from Shishire, and to protect the village from Shishire. If that means I have to end her life to save the village then I will do it. If anything my caring for the girl ensures it all the more... I could never bear to see her body taken or her soul destroyed, to see her body walking and her not in it... that is a fate worse than death." He couldn't help turning a head to look over at Sachiko. "I would never wait as long as I did with you, or hesitate like I did."

Sachiko blinked several times as Souta looked at her, surprised at his bluntness, and moreso at his action of involving her suddenly in the conversation. "Good." she finally said. "Because you're not wrong... that is a fate worse than death. I remember all of it. What I did to you, to Rokuro, to Kaede... it's vivid... and it wasn't me. I couldn't stop it. I was relieved when you killed me. You don't remember it but you held me until my last breath was gone, and I do remember it."

TyDie

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by TyDie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:13 pm

Akihito couldn't help but let out a sigh of discontent as Souta explained the relationship between he and Sakaki had grown far deeper than the council member would have liked. His facial features hardened like stone once more as he let the man speak his mind, stating his love for the child, but ensuring once more that it did not impact his ability to perform his potential duties as a genma handler under Akihito's instruction. Sachiko's comments were taken into account as well, despite him having no real interest in the corpse of a girl.

"It is not in my nature to assign trust to those who do not deserve it Souta. Years of dealing with various challenges throughout my career have made such blind faith impossible." An odd choice of words to many given Akihito's belief in Yuumagure, but in his eyes it was not blind. "Do you know how I choose leaders, Souta? When I look to someone who is up for promotion, such as Sakaki during her chuunin exam, do you understand what the main quality I look for in a leader is?" He wouldn't wait for a response, as he suspected that few in the village truly did understand his mind aside from the patriotism and faithful dedication to Her Light.

"It has little to do with strength, or tactical ability, or even their passion. In the end, what I look for are those who are willing to make the hardest decisions. Those who can make a choice even when there are no good choices, even when every option has a horrible consequence associated with it... In those moments, I find inaction is the worst response. And for those who can cast aside their feelings to make those hard choices when necessary, I have the utmost respect. I want to repeat myself Souta, for the sake of easing my own concerns; are you absolutely certain that you can make that hard decision if the time ever comes?" His eyes once again bore into Souta's skull, as if trying to read his mind for the answers he sought.
Active Characters

Willoria

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by Willoria » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Souta was growing more and more irritated, understanding the line of questions less and less. 'How many times have I answered this one now? Twice already? Again makes three... Why is he so focused on it? I have answered him again and again and my answer is not changing.' he thought to himself, sighing and shaking his head as he finally turned to face the man. "My answer remains unchanged." he told him. "If Sakaki loses control I will end her life myself. I will do it because it is what the village has asked me to do. I will do it because it is what she has asked me to do. And I will do it because she deserves her life to end at the hands of someone who cares. She does not deserve to be put on the end of a sword and cast aside as trash. If it comes down to it I will do this, I will hold her until it is done, and I will bring her home that she might find final rest with Her Light." The words tasted like bile in his mouth, he hated them for everything they were.

Most of all he hated them for being the truth.

He turned away from the fireplace and walked back to his seat, sitting down heavily as he suddenly became aware of the fact that they had sat down to business so quickly he had not put on his haori, nor had a chance to eat any of his breakfast. 'It's Hana's now, I couldn't eat after all this talk of Sakaki dying.' His eyes focused on Akihito a moment as his brain worked to try and figure out why he kept asking that same question over and over again. "I know that the girl's death is in my hands just as much as her life is. It will remain that way until one of us dies, and I am well aware of how likely it will be her to go first." he added, almost sullen over the words. He hated the statistic. He was older, he wished he would go first if anything, but he knew with the track record Shishire had, it was more likely she would die first. Despite him having full faith in her that she would be the one to break the mold.

TyDie

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by TyDie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:46 pm

Akihito nodded in understanding as he listened to the man once more repeat his duties out loud, stating that he would indeed follow them to the letter if and when the time came that he needed to. "Good. I want you to understand the weight of those words well Souta. I want you to remember them at all times, keeping them in the back of your mind. It is hard, but as I said, it falls to you to be able to make those hard choices as a leader. And now, as a leader... It falls to me to make a hard choice." Akihito would finally move for the first time since he entered the man's home, rising from his chair as he made his way over to the front door again, clearly almost finished with his business here.

"I am going to make you an offer, Souta. An offer that I do not like making to anyone, yet one that must be offered to those who have proven themselves among the most capable leaders of the village. I offer you the title of Bannin. However, before you choose to decline or accept, I want you to grasp what that really means. It is more than a title that puts you above 99 percent of the village in terms of rank... It is a title that puts 99 percent of the weight of this village on your shoulders. In the absence of our Kazekage or our council, it will fall on you as a Bannin to make the most difficult choices, and live with the consequences of them. As a Bannin, when the unexpected occurs and our people need a guiding light, you will be that light. It is an enormous responsibility Souta, one that I do no make lightly. It is also one that I will not offer again, as acceptance or declination is in and of itself a difficult choice. On a more personal level, no one else yet knows that I am making you this offer, and I will not think any less of you if you choose not to accept."

Finally, after explaining himself fully, he turned to face Souta, his entire body turned towards him with his broad shoulders evenly positioned in line with his neck and head. His very presence commanded such incredible authority. "I need your answer now, Souta... What is your decision?"
Active Characters

Willoria

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by Willoria » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:58 pm

Souta stood when Akihito did, following at a distance, slowly, towards the door. He found it odd it seemed the man was preparing to make some kind of escape out the door. But then he said it, that title slipped out of his mouth and Souta stopped in his tracks, obviously stunned. "...Bannin?" There were shinobi throughout the village who dreamed of such a title, and it was honestly one that Souta had given up on ever attaining given his age. Most who were chosen were chosen ten years younger than him, or more. At his age he had merely assumed the title had long since passed him by and he would never see it. In his days with Hotaru at his side the pair had often spoken long and with great adoration of Bannin and of one day securing the title for themselves.

"Woah, Bannin?" He had almost forgotten the little zombie sitting on his couch until she said that with shock in her voice. She got up and approached him, punching him lightly in the arm. "Way to go, Souta!"

Souta blinked and flinched at the touch from the girl, though not because of pain. He hardly felt it, but it was colder than ice and the feel of the skin of her hand on his arm was unnerving enough to send a chill down his spine. "Please don't, for all we know your hand could fall off." he muttered at her, looking at her with a mix of annoyance and mild disgust before turning his eyes back on Akihito. He was trying to process everything he'd been told, and yet the man demanded an answer immediately. "Yes." It even took him a second to realize he'd spoken. Before he could form the thoughts he knew why though. As a Bannin he had more responsibility, yes, but he also might have the authority to enact change. He could even try to convince Akihito himself, the man before him, to change the way genma were handled. He had proven success with Sakaki already, if he could prove success with Hanzo as well, and become a Bannin, he might be able to sway them into treating these children just like the rest. Young Shinobi in need of sensei to guide them, needing it even more than others because of the unique burdens they bore. "I accept."

TyDie

[closed] Surprise Visit

Post by TyDie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:06 am

Akihito stood silently like a statue as he awaited the man's shock to fade so that he could receive his answer. The young undead girl rose from the couch with a small jive at the older shinobi, which even Akihito had to react to with a small, single chuckle. It almost sounded like a cough, but Souta would recognize it for what it was... Akihito was just glad he wasn't the only one who found Sachiko's zombified state disturbing. After what felt like an eternity of silence the man responded with his answer, and Akihito let out a small sigh as he closed his eyes. "Very well. The paperwork will be put through the proper channels upon my arrival at the administration building today. Provided it is put through those channels with expedience, you will receive a scroll tomorrow informing you that your new rank has been instated."

Akihito turned once more towards the door, clearly ready to let himself out, but paused at the threshold. "This means that, now more than ever, I am responsible for you Souta. You are both a Genma Handler under my name and a Bannin under my supervision. I expect you to serve as an exemplar to all others. And Sachiko... I will have someone retrieve the girl tonight under cover of darkness. You will have her back... whenever we are finished. I will be in touch, Souta." He was never one for congratulations, only giving them out when they were expected of him or in public company. This was neither, and so he felt no such requirement. With their business concluded, Akihito would give one more small nod as he peered at Souta over his shoulder before opening the door and leaving the man to his morning rituals.
Active Characters

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”