[closed] Bottom of a Bottle of Spirits

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 am

It had been a week since the horrific situation had transpired, since the truth of Sakaki's relation to Souta had come to light... since she had rammed a kunai through the man's chest. She had had plenty of time to rest and recuperate... and of course, plenty of time to think about what had happened. Shishire's manipulations, the unseen hand guiding her towards her mistakes, had come to light... and yet she was powerless to stop him, unable to escape from his influence. To make matters worse, her actions directly resulted in Souta being removed from the genma crew meant to handle her, and she hadn't seen nor heard from him the entire week. Even if he was mad, he still should've come to see Miss Miami... She was concerned.

And so she made it a mission to go to Souta's house now, telling Miss Miami that she needed to check on him to help put her mind at ease. She couldn't focus on training like this... Leave the man to his devices, child. He has his own demons to deal with... as do you. Yeah, thanks to you. None of this would have happened if you were upfront with me about this from the start Shishire. This was all one of your trick, you manipulated me from the very beginning. Shihihihi... But of course. You were warned many times, and still you allowed it to happen. Tell me, am I really to blame, when you had all the knowledge at your disposal and still couldn't see the truth?

This had been a regular back and forth between them for the past few days, and frankly Sakaki was sick of it. She didn't even bother responding beyond that. Plus, she was now upon the man's house, and took a moment to knock... but instead she found the front door left slightly ajar. Curious, she pushed slightly on the door to peek in. "...Souta? Are you home?"
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

Post by Willoria » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:40 am

The house was a mess. The entryway coming in was the only place in sight that seemed untouched. The open living room was a mess. Decor had been thrown to the ground and shattered in multiple places, empty bottles littered the floor by the couch. The kitchen hadn't been cleaned as of late, dirty dishes and pots and pans littered the counters and even the table. Souta himself was laying on one of the couches, sprawled out in only a pair of dark pants. His hair was undone and disheveled, a blanket barely covered him. It was clear he had been sleeping there between drinks.

The voice of Sakaki however brought the man straight up into a seated position, blinking and bleary eyed as he saw Sakaki come in. "I don't think I'm up for making sushi today if that's what you're here for." he grumbled, groaning as he glanced around. It took him a moment to locate but soon he found a bottle that still was about 1/3rd of the way full. Uncorking it he downed a swig and shook his head, trying to steer clear of the pending hangover.

In his years Souta had once lost everything, spiraled into a self destructive phase before finding a role as a genma handler. Now in one fell swoop he had gained all and nothing at the same time and it clearly left the man a wreck.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:54 am

Sakaki's face contorted into shock and minor disgust as she saw the state of the house, walking in to the house as various smells and sight assaulted her senses. "By the Light... what's happened to you Souta..." she spoke under her breath before even seeing the man, and let out a small gasp of shock as she saw the state he was in. As he shot up, Sakaki eyed him and the house slowly but surely, taking in everything before her now that the initial shock had worn off. "I think the smell killed my appetite anyway... Where's Sachiko? Where's Hara? What's... what happened?" It felt like a question that didn't need to be asked; it didn't take a genius to see he was drowning his sorrows after all. Still, she felt the need to ask.

"Souta, put that down... You're a bannin. Do you have any idea how much trouble you could get in for that?" She pointed at the bottle in his hand, knowing full well what it was; she had seen alcohol during golden week, the fancy bottles it came in were unmistakable. "Have Rokuro or Kaede been by? They'd flip if they saw you like this..."
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Souta frowned a moment as Sakaki started in on the questions. "...what? There's no smell." he retorted, snorting a laugh before suddenly letting out a belch and blinking slowly. "Okay, maybe a little smell." he muttered, groaning before taking another swig from the bottle in his hands. He cleared his throat as his mind tried to catch up to all of Sakaki's questions. "Sachiko is with her sister now... Hara is..." he blinked and looked around the room a moment, back towards the back hallway that lead towards the other rooms. "Oh, in her room." he added suddenly as he spied the closed door in the dark hallway. "Probably for the best."

He turned his head and looked at Sakaki strangely however as she demanded he drop the drink and he shook his head. "Can't really get in much more." he remarked. "Whats it matter to you anyways?" It was almost as if the man's younger, more bullheaded self, came out in full force when he drank. If he had too much it wouldn't be surprising if he became a little too much like Rokuro. Who ironically Sakaki asked about as well and Souta merely pointed to a wall that seemed to have a strangely Rokuro shaped dent in it.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Sakaki crossed her arms as the man's belligerence came out full force, suddenly thinking it wasn't Souta she was really talking to. She made a disgusted grimace as he burped, rolling her eyes as he downed more liquor. The answers weren't good answers, but at least she knew Hara was safe... It was definitely for the best that she wasn't out here, getting into lord knows what or hurting herself on broken glass. But when he asked what it mattered to her, she snapped off. "What the hell do you mean 'what's it matter to me'? I'm mad, but that doesn't mean I wanted you to go off the deep end like this!"

The dent in the wall, in reference to Rokuro, did earn a small snicker from her; more of a snort really. But she was determined to get to the bottom of this and get the man back on his feet, however she had to. "God damn it Souta, this isn't right. A week ago everything was fine, and now everything has gone to hell. You shouldn't be like this, now come on; Put. It. Down." She took a step or two towards Souta, not close enough to touch him or the bottle but close enough that she stood tall over the sitting bannin, despite his height advantage. She wasn't asking him at this point.
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Souta fell quiet as Sakaki spoke, the man licking his lips and dragging his teeth across his lower lip as he tried and failed to rein in his own temper at her words. His eyes were fixed on the coffee table that was covered in trash, in the middle of it was his wakizashi. The weapon had been stuck upright in the table, the serrated edge gleaming and crimson and black hilt upward. As she approached him to tell him to drop the bottle, he did something else entirely. With a snarl the man lurched forward and slammed the bottle into the top of the coffee table, causing it to shatter and liquor flying everywhere. "Didn't you?!" he yelled, suddenly on his face as he rounded on Sakaki. "I was paralyzed, Sakaki, not unconscious!" he snarled, eyes dark and glaring down at the girl. "You wanted me in the worst pain possible, you wanted me dead and at this point I wish Rok hadn't interfered and let it happen!" he snapped at her, finally turning away with a snarl. "Shame you only got half your wish."

He stopped at the fireplace, a hand on the mantle as he stared down at the empty ashes, wishing it was aflame. The fire had always had a calming effect on him but in this moment with the liquor pouring through him there was nothing to calm him down truly. He stood there for several moments, simply quiet as he tried to quiet his breathing and shook his head. "You're a kid." he said quiet. "You're wrapped up in your own pain... I get it. But you aren't the only one hurt here. Your mother tried to disappear with you and instead she only left you an orphan... and I never knew. Now I know and I've... I've missed everything. Shinobi... Jinchurikki... these are paths I would have tried my damnedest to talk you out of. I never would have let you take on that kind of pain but now..."

The man sighed and shook his head. "Why are you here? What the hell do you want from me?"

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Sakaki had been ready for Souta to be hurt, to be mad... but not like this. The moment the bottle shattered on the table she jumped back, startled and scared by the man as he stood in a flash and went off on a tirade of angry words. It took everything she had to keep from crying, though tears still formed as he spoke. She eyed the Wakizashi on the table, silently wondering if she was going to have to stop him from grabbing it. However, she was thankful that he instead chose to wander to the fireplace, a slight calm crossing him as he spoke about his pain and loss... She wasn't the only one who had missed out. He wanted to be a husband, a father, and lost all of that... And now he found out that he missed the chance all over again.

The time for her lamenting was over. She had to step up somehow.

"I'm here because I was worried about you, you big idiot. I hadn't seen you in a week. Miss Miami was worried too, i'm supposed to tell her you're here at the bottom of a bottle? No, i'm not bringing that bad news to her. And by the way, Rokuro stopping me was the best thing he could've done! If I had killed you, do you really think the village would've let me live? Ha! We'd both be dead Souta!" She was yelling at this point, though still managing to hold back tears, mostly because she was more angry than sad. "I didn't wish for that! I didn't want that! I never..."

Okay, now the tears were starting, trickling down her face as she paused. "I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you, not like that. I... lost myself. Not to Shishire, but to my own pain and grief." She finally took a seat in a chair, staring at the man as he loomed by the fireplace.
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:54 pm

He couldn't bring himself to show it, but he felt a shock when she said it'd been a week. Souta had buried himself so deep into bottle after bottle after everything that had happened that he had lost all sense of time. He shook his head, sighing as Sakaki continued. He knew she was right, they'd both be dead if she had managed to kill him... maybe. He also knew she was a valuable tool, she might have received a stern 'don't do it again' and mild interrogation before being released under heavy watch. He might have been a Bannin but the man had no misgivings, he was also still a disposable shinobi to the village.

He turned to look at her a moment, his arms resting at his sides and leaving his bare chest visible to the girl probably for the first time in its entirety. The scar down his face, the one on his side she already knew of. But there was also a nasty, jagged, dark scar from his shoulder to his opposite side that ran across him at an angle. And over that was a newer scar, much smaller, in the center of his chest that was what was left of Sakaki's attack. "If I had known I would have told you." he said suddenly, quietly. "At worst I would have asked Miss Miami to deliver the news if I thought you would receive it badly so that she could comfort you and you would have had time to process before seeing me... avoiding the rage entirely." He drew in a deep and shaking breath, shaking his head which tossed his disheveled hair back and forth. "I never would have let you go a full day without knowing... definitely not years."

Not long ago he would have told someone the girl was like a daughter to him ironically, and now he knew she really was. And yet, in another irony, he couldn't treat her as such. She seemed to hate him since finding out and the man had no idea how to fix it.

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Sakaki had seen his scars before, that was nothing new to her... but seeing the newest addition to his body, the deep scar in the center of his chest, sent a chill down her spine... I did that... she thought to herself, her eyes transfixed on the fresh scar. If he were calmer, if the air between them wasn't so chaotic, she might get close to him that she might touch it... but no, she refrained for now. The sight alone filled her with sorrow. And his words didn't help either, he truly was just as confused as she was when she subjugated her mother, and the soul spoke his name. "... You know you wouldn't have stopped me, right? From being a shinobi. From hosting Shishire. You never would have stopped me."

Souta knew full well how determined she could be, when she got an idea in her head there was little that would sway her from fulfilling her goals. That same fire, even through the tears, still shone to this day. "We are what we are, Souta. The first 10 years of my life was spent an orphan, but if it helps you can count the beginning of our relationship as the moment you started being a father. After all, it was you who helped me get to where I am now, as a sensei and as a friend. We've both missed out, there's no changing that. All we can do is figure out what to do going forward." Sakaki wiped away her tears as she composed herself to speak, still clearly distraught about this whole mess in general. She remained seated for now, looking down at her feet.

"I don't think I can call you dad. After 13 years I don't think I could call anyone that. But that... that doesn't mean that you aren't my father, Souta. And as your daughter i'm telling you now, I need you. I need you to pull yourself out of this pit and be the man I remember again."
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Souta chuckled as she said he wouldn't have stopped her, the man shook his head. "No, I couldn't have stopped you." he said, pushing off the fireplace and taking a few steps towards her. He stopped right in front of her and knelt in front of her, reaching up to cup her face in his hands, assuming she let him. "But I would have tried." he said quietly. "It would have been my right to try and protect you from it, even if we would have fought over it, you might've even told me you hated me. And eventually we would have gotten over it, because that is what happens between a father and daughter." he said, a tear slipping down his cheek as he suddenly leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

Though suddenly he'd release her and step away, stumbling slightly as the drink was still in his system. "Almost forgot." He muttered. On the left side of the fireplace was the double doors that led into the fish pond, but on the right was a single door that Souta had never really showed Sakaki. It was usually locked, but as he stepped to it now and pulled it open he revealed it wasn't, and motioned Sakaki over. "One of the reasons I was busy before... before that night. I was trying to finish this up." he told her, waiting for her to come to him before motioning her through the door.

Beyond the door was a small garden. A dark grey, almost black, stone path cut through the middle with plants on either side. Some plants were a deep red, some black, all with very little variation in color but of course even without it the sun coming through the greenhouse roof made it vibrant and beautiful. Following the short path the two would come to a small stone table, an altar, with the symbol of Jashin dead center. It was covered in black and blood red candles that had not been lit, complete with a knife in the center with the same symbol. "I was going to show this to you when we got back." Souta said quietly, motioning to the vine that grew all along the roof of the greenhouse. "Jasmine... blooms at night... and a view of the stars. The stones for the path have something in them that lets little dots glow in them like stars under your feet too. Kaede's been helping me with this for weeks..." He swallowed hard. "I... you never had space for what you needed at the orphanage. Or space to yourself for meditation. So I made this for you."

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Sakaki laughed too as the man admitted he couldn't have stopped her, but said that was just the way of children and their parents. the back and forth between hate and love, it was just part of the relationship. It wasn't like she would know very well, even her foster parents were clearly not her parents. She never experienced that kind of life... But here Souta was, doing his best to play the role of father in spite of the gratuitous amount of alcohol flowing through his system. As sweet as the moment was, the kiss on her forehead bringing the first real smile to her face since she walked in, she wrinkled her nose a little as the man turned around to walk towards a door. She rose to steady him as he stumbled, but he seemed to have control enough to stay standing on his own.

She would follow as he motioned her though, and as they passed through the doors her jaw dropped in awe at the sight before her. It was the most gorgeous meditation garden she had ever seen, complete with a view of the stars, flowers that bloom at night all over, and an altar to Jashin in the center. her eyes were wide with wonder as she strode down the steps, taking in everything before turning back to Souta. "You did all this... for me? Even... before you knew? But why Souta? It's... it's beyond anything I could ever imagine, but to do so much for me. And you could get in trouble too, if anyone else knew about the Jashinism it'd be a whole mess! One of Suna's bannin has Jashinist paraphernalia? I... I don't know what to say. I love it, it's the greatest gift I've ever received... But i'm worried for you."

She didn't mean to take away from this great gift he put so much time and effort into bringing together for her, it truly was wonderful... standing here, amidst this place, she felt a peaceful tranquility unlike anything she had ever felt before. She just couldn't help but worry for Souta...
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Souta chuckled at Sakaki's excitement, as well as her concern. "I have something on order that'll make the door hidden behind a bookcase. No one will realize its here." he assured her, sighing as he crossed his arms over his chest, leaning against the doorway. "And if they find it I'll just tell them its mine." he told her. "A Bannin with nearly 30 years as a faithful shinobi? Never a doubt to loyalty? Most I'd ever get is a slap on the wrist, and after that they'd overlook it saying it doesn't matter in my case." he explained, turning his gaze from the flower vine across the ceiling to Sakaki herself. "If they knew it was yours? Yeah, the consequences would be dire. So I did this, because I didn't want you having that stuff at the orphanage anymore. You need a safe place to express yourself, and someone who can take the blame without taking harm."

The man sighed however, looking at it all almost sadly. "I wish I could have shown it to you under better circumstances." he admitted, shrugging. It was clear he wasn't sure if she'd use it now because of what had happened. But he turned and led the way back out of the room, going back to the couch and sitting down heavily.

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:53 pm

Sakaki continued to ooh and ah at the sight before her, breathing deeply to take in the scent of the garden as Souta proceeded to explain that he wasn't too scared of any kind of retribution. So he was willing to take this risk, hiding this here, to give her a safe place to be herself? to worship her god? "... I'm speechless Souta. I... don't know what to say." He had been willing to do all of this for her, and he didn't even know he was her father at the time... She was simply unable to stay mad at him anymore after all of this, after everything they had discussed.

As they returned to the main room, shutting the door behind them, Sakaki didn't give the man a chance to sit down. She'd loop around in front of him, cutting him off from the couch, before wrapping her arms around him. "Thank you. For everything, Souta. I... Can't begin to thank you enough." She looked up at the man, tears in her eyes but a smile on her face, before saying one more thing. "I'm sorry, Souta. I love you." She then buried her face into his chest, smiling so hard her face hurt as she held him.
Active Characters

Willoria

Post by Willoria » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:59 pm

Souta was more than a little shocked as Sakaki suddenly hugged him, thanking him, and especially for what else she said. She had said it to him before of course, before she knew who he was to her. For a moment he found himself reminding himself that this didn't mean she'd let him be her father, it could be the same before. He hoped he could accept her trust, her love of a friend who had been trying to help take care of her, but he just couldn't let himself jump into assuming this meant she loved him as a daughter to a father. "I love you too, kid." he said quietly, wrapping his arms around her in return, knowing he really did love her as a father would a daughter.

With a sigh he finally let her go, chuckling a bit however. "You should probably let me sit down though. I'm awfully heavy to be falling on you." he joked, shaking his head as he silently hoped the alcohol in his system would be fading out soon, as well as debating another drink. It was an interesting conundrum.

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Sakaki just chuckled and grunted with effort as she tried desperately to guide Souta to the chair, as clearly he was physically unstable and would probably need the helping hand. She wasn't very strong of course, but she was at least strong enough to guide him the right way. "Simple answer then; don't fall on me." Sakaki spoke with a light hearted chuckle. Meanwhile the genma seethed inside her. Are you really so daft, child? To give this man your affections and trust after everything that just transpired?

Sakaki helped the man into the couch, and then paused a moment as Shishire spoke to her... a small flame of anger welled within her again, though it wasn't directed at Souta this time. Shut your mouth. I'm sick of you and your mind games, Shishire. This was your doing, not his and not mine. You could've saved us all plenty of grief had you told me of all this from the start. It wasn't my place. Besides, have you forgotten so quickly child? I'm not your friend. I'm not even your ally. I'm your captive, and I long for freedom Sakaki's ear twitched at the word that the beast put so much emphasis on, the word it always desired but would never have... Not as long as she lived.

Precisely... As long as you live. Shihihihihi...

Sakaki rolled her eyes at the voice and moved on back to Souta, taking a seat beside him on the couch. "I'm going to come back in a few days. And i'm going to have some stuff with me. And we're going to put this stuff in one of your rooms. And i'm going to start sleeping here and eating here, and just generally being here a lot more often... Like, all the time. Okay?" It was her incredibly roundabout and somewhat cute way of saying that she was moving in to Souta's place now...

And she wasn't asking.
Active Characters

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”