The Demoted Appointment

Aes Sedai & Tydie

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

The Demoted Appointment

Post by Willoria » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:57 pm

The front door of Souta's house was wide open, the smell of several burning candles and their light scents wafting through it. Souta had lit several candles as he started to clean, trying to clean up the smell of a week of binge drinking depression as he picked up the mess from it. He walked through the house with a trash can, setting it down in the kitchen with a clatter as he paused for another cup of coffee. His eyes had bags that suggested he hadn't been sleeping well, and the smell of alcohol still wafted off the man even though he had quit drinking the day prior. A hangover was clear in his eyes. He set down the coffee cup and took his trash can back to the couch, reaching under it for a couple more bottles which he tossed in the can with a crash.

He heard footsteps in the doorway and groaned. "I said to give me a couple days, Sakaki!" he called, bent over in front of the couch, on his knees, and digging under it as he swore there was at least one more bottle. "I'm still cleaning up!"
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

The Demoted Appointment

Post by TyDie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:56 pm

The footfalls the man heard were not his newly discovered daughter as he had thought. No, it was the new Kazekage, clad in her official robes and hat. Kiyori had decided to pay a visit to the man personally, as opposed to ordering him to appear before her. She felt, especially with the weight of the news she bore, such an informal setting might help to balance things out. She wasn't yet used to feeling or presenting a kage, the formality of it leaving a somewhat poor taste in her mouth... at least around friends that was the case. She found it hard to separate her friendly attitude towards her closest allies from the authority of her position.

Still, the woman entered the mans home... which she could smell long before she actually entered the building. "Bleh... smells like Arata... What have you done, Souta?" Her face turned sour as she walked in the wide open front door and saw that Souta was in the midst of cleaning from some kind of binge... "So the information Akihito presented me was true. You understand I could have your rank for this kind of blunder right? Not that i'm threatening you, your record is pretty much spotless. Just... watch yourself Souta. I don't want to punish a friend." Kiyori would bow when the man inevitably rose at the sound of her voice, the young Henrin giving the man's a small smile.

"I trust you're in the mood for a break? I live with Arata; I know the signs of a hangover quite well." The woman chuckled before helping herself to a seat at the small island in the man's kitchen.
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Willoria

The Demoted Appointment

Post by Willoria » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:49 pm

Souta didn't even try to hide that he rolled his eyes as Kiyori made her comments, though his back was already to her coincidentally. He stood up straight from his rummaging around under the couch for a stray bottle and frowned at the woman, sighing as he ran a hand through his hair. It only just dawned on him that he had brushed it, but hadn't put it up yet. He nodded and led the way to the kitchen, pouring himself a fresh cup of coffee before holding up the pot in a silent offer. If she accepted, he'd pour her a cup, if not then he'd leave it be and make his way to the kitchen table. "Pretty sure even Akihito would turn a blind eye once, after the events of the last week or so." he admitted.

He glanced down and realized he wore only a pair of lounge pants and his haori was open and the man grunted at himself, realizing the scars on his chest were on full display. He quickly closed the haori and tied it off, trying to present at least a halfway decent image. "Forgive me for not bowing, Kazekage, but I'm afraid I might tip fully forward if I tried." he remarked, smirking a bit as he sat down and motioned to the seat across from him. "I'm guessing from the robes this is an official visit then?"
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

TyDie

The Demoted Appointment

Post by TyDie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:29 pm

Kiyori nodded in agreement of his comment about Akihito, grinning at the thought as she graciously accepted a cup of coffee from the man. "Ha, I believe you're right Souta. It's almost unheard of for Akihito to grant any kind of leniency with his bannin or his genma handlers, and you're both... But your situation is also entirely unique. I find it difficult to believe Akihito is not without at least some modicum of compassion." The woman smiled and gave a small bow, taking a slow sip of the darkened brew. "Ahh... Caffeine. One of the few 'mind altering concoctions' that many guided by Her Light allow themselves regular indulgence in. I skipped breakfast, so this is a very welcome offering."

The woman smiled and took another deep drink of the liquid, waving her hands as Souta mentioned bowing. "Nono, this is your abode. I am the guest here, it should be me showing you honorifics. I may be acting in official capacity as you assumed, but I still respect a man's household as his own. You will show me no such formalities!" She laughed and grinned as the man mentioned his hangover, then grinned as she thought for a moment about the man's situation. "I would suggest some kind of herbal tea, or just water. A lot of it. Perhaps a hot shower to wake up. These are things I've seen Arata due to cure himself of a hang over... when he's not smoking or drinking that is."

Moving away from that subject entirely, she decided it was best to get on with the real reason she was here, setting down her cup and taking off her hat to set on the table to her right. "So I've got good news and I've got bad news. I'll let you decide which one I go into first."
Active Characters
Sunagakure no SatoKouseki TakumaGenin[color=#003893][b][/b][/color], [b][color=#AFBCDB][/color][/b]
Kirigakure no SatoKazuki RyuChuunin[color=#dc143c][/color], [b][color=#C71585][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoHiraku KenjiBannin S-Rank Missing Ninja[b][color=slategray][/color][/b]
Iwagakure No SatoFukusha JinsaiJounin[color=#BF0000][/color], [b][glow=orangered][color=#000000][/color][/glow][/b]

Willoria

The Demoted Appointment

Post by Willoria » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Souta chuckled as Kiyori mentioned missing breakfast and held up a hand to get the woman to pause for a moment. He got up from the table and moved into his kictchen, soon returning with a small plate with a simple salmon roll cut into four pieces and a set of four salmon sushi which he set out in front of Kiyori before sitting back down. "Apparently I like to make sushi when I drink, and too much of it. It tastes as good as always but... well you don't want to know how much there was." he said with a bit of a chuckle, quickly followed by a groan as his head pounded and he conceded to another sip of coffee. He simply nodded as she suggested a few remedies for his hangover, but raised an eyebrow as she mentioned news.

"Go with the bad first." he told her. "Though I can guess it. I've been suspended since finding out Sakaki is actually my daughter, I'm guessing I've been fired now as Akihito thinks I cannot be objective. The old man knows a great deal of my past and what I've lost in it... even I can't say he'd be wrong. I honestly have no idea, I'm still processing this shit honestly."

TyDie

The Demoted Appointment

Post by TyDie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:02 am

Kiyori didn't want to admit it, but her stomach growled as the man set food in front of him... and it was meat too. Such a rare treat for her, one that she was indulging in far more often thanks to Souta's incredible food preparation. "Wellll, I suppose just a few won't hurt." Kiyori chuckled before popping a salmon roll in her mouth, her eyes closing as she savored the flavor. Once she swallowed the piece of salmon roll, she opened her mouth to speak, but was instead cut off as Souta pretty much explained the entire situation to himself. After a few moments she closed her mouth... she wanted to make a small joke, saying that she didn't even need to be here because he basically had everything figured out himself... but she could tell this wasn't the time for comedy.

With a deep breath she sighed and nodded. "Yes. As of this moment you are officially no longer Sakaki's genma handler. Rokuro will be taking the helm, he showed experience and restraint when he took Sakaki off of you and kept her from losing control. Akihito trusts he will exercise caution. I want you to know that this particular decision... Yes, I weighed in on it, but I had good reason. And I saw to it that Akihito saw that reason before I signed off on this." Kiyori broke conversation a moment, taking another bite of salmon to calm her nerves in preparation. "You see, You are no longer her official handler, but I refused his push to keep you out of her life entirely. You are her father, and i'll give up my position before I let a man be kept from his own flesh and blood. No, you may not be an official handler of the Soul Host, but she is your child. As far as i'm concerned, your role has changed only officially; I expect you will always be by her side, regardless of what the council has to say about it."

She smiled as she gave her little speech, popping yet another salmon roll into her mouth with a squee of delight. "My goodness, I could go through a couple dozen of these without even realizing it I swear. They're so good!"
Active Characters

Willoria

The Demoted Appointment

Post by Willoria » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:32 am

Souta sighed rather heavily as she revealed he was right. Honestly the man had hoped she wouldn't expound on it, the extra detail only making the reality a bit more painful, causing him to bite back a sarcastic remark. Instead he simply shook his head and huffed a moment, crossing his arms as he though briefly before finally speaking. "You could tell me yourself I wasn't allowed in her life, demote me entirely, stop me from being a shinobi, and I'd still stand at her side. There are some things no one gets to tell a father what to do." He didn't even try to mince words, knowing she'd understand where he was coming from on all that. "But wanting me out of her life completely? That old bastard really has gotten paranoid as fuck in his own age." he added, failing to curb his words when it came to Akihito. He really didn't like the man and it was beginning to show, even if he did respect him for the simple fact of how long he'd held the position.

He took a sip of his coffee, grimacing at the bitterness and yet thankful for the caffeine before he sighed and looked at Kiyori again, smirking a bit as he watched her put away most of the sushi rather quickly. "....so what's the good news?"

TyDie

The Demoted Appointment

Post by TyDie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:49 am

The Kazekage nodded in approval, though grimaced slightly at the man's crass words in relation to the councilman. It was emphatic swearing to be sure, his disdain for Akihito so great that social norms meant little to him in the moment. "While I won't speak of him in such a way myself, I agree with you. The bond between a parent and child is sacred; it will never be my place to split family apart like that." She gave a sagely nod as she crossed her arms and closed her eyes, ruminating on what this would mean going forward for Souta, and indeed for the village as a whole. After all, there was still the good news, which Souta had just pressed her about.

"Funny you should mention such a dislike of our current bannin and spirit supervisor, Souta... This is to remain between us, and I mean that officially as Kazekage. To betray this trust would be equitable to treason." She got incredibly serious all of the sudden, her eyes hardening like stone where they were usually so soft and bright. "Akihito, along with many other council members... I will be finding replacements for them. They have served for decades, and I don't need or want people so set in their ways that they can't see the benefits of a new idea. Akihito is one of those people. His council has proven very useful in past dealings with the spirits of Suna, but it's high time someone with a fresh mind and a new approach take the helm."

She punctuated her sentence with another sip of the hot black liquid in her cup, letting out a deep sigh as the caffeine took hold. She'd of course wait for Souta to take her verbal bait... or just ruin the surprise, like he did with the bad news.
Active Characters

Willoria

The Demoted Appointment

Post by Willoria » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am

Souta couldn't help raising an eyebrow as Kiyori suddenly got serious. He wasn't sure he had ever seen her take on such an expression before, and honestly it was almost frightening for the man. What could possibly make her so serious? He honestly watched her warily for a few moments, holding his coffee cup aloft in front of him as he waited. When she finally told him and sipped her own coffee he took the time to do the same as he thought it over. Immediately he started wondering who might replace Akihito and thought of Zao, the sealer, as well as another sealer whose name he constantly forgot. He'd never met the man and so never taken the time to commit the name to memory. "Akihito's paranoia about Soul is binding in nature and seems to do the opposite of what he sets out to do." he remarked.

"He despises Shishire and yet continues to seal him within young genin. I don't think I've ever heard of him trying to object to it either, simply keeps sacrificing the young to it. Prior to your sister I heard that host was proficient but took steps Akihito hated so much he had it ripped out of him and killed him. What little I read on it in the files, I'm not certain there was ever proof the boy was entirely out of control, even if what he did was beyond unorthodox." Souta scowled a bit, sipping his coffee again. His words were enough to land him in hot water with some, but he was certain Kiyiori would, at most, caution him not to say such things around the old man himself.

"Have you decided who will replace him yet though? I can only think of two myself, one loves his freedom to wander and the other seems too cavalier with lives, the other side to Akihito's coin."

TyDie

The Demoted Appointment

Post by TyDie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Kiyori nodded in agreement with what Souta explained about Akihito, in at least a few of those thoughts Kiyori was of a like mind. "Agreed. The years have jaded him I feel. Reports show that in the past he was far more easy going, far more understanding... but loss after loss, death after death, all at the hands of Shishire... He's not the same man. He remembers the Sun's Sorrow, remembers how Hito worked to recapture Shishire after the 8th's death. Like me, he remembers all of that death. I can't say that I blame him for becoming who he is today, but I can say that such a mind has little use in my council." She concluded, her heart a bit heavy as she spoke so plainly about removing Akihito. The man had given much of his life in service to the village, doing faithfully what many others could not or would not do. She respected the man greatly for all he had done... but it was time.

And as for the man's replacement, Souta seemed to think Zao would make a good replacement, as well as another up and comer. "I considered Zao. He sealed Sakaki after all, his talent and skill in the realm of spirits are second to none... But he doesn't want an anchor like that. He's a free spirit, and so long as he is always ready to defend us from attack I'm willing to let him serve his career as a bannin. The other is Xiao Li... And I have my reservations about him as well. The boy shows promise but he's reckless. I don't want a paranoid old man, but I also don't want someone who has no sense of caution. I need a middle ground..." As she spoke, Kiyori's eyes fell to her hat, gazing at the Kanji on the front... "Kazekage". With a nod, she resolved herself as her gaze returned to Souta, still hardened but not angry... determined.

"I need someone like you, Souta."
Active Characters

Willoria

The Demoted Appointment

Post by Willoria » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Souta nodded as Kiyori continued on the subject of Akihito, speaking only when she seemed to conclude her statements on the man. "Death marks us all. No matter how many years we serve this village, one day we will find ourselves as jaded as he is if we aren't careful. Perhaps early on he got too wrapped up in the hosts and believed in every one. But now he may have faith in the Light, but he has none in the hosts, and it is quite literally killing some of them in my opinion." He admitted rather sadly. He did have respect and admiration for the man, despite what some may think if they were to hear this conversation, but he was also concerned about the man's effect on those around him.

He nodded as well when Kiyori spoke of Zao, knowing she was right about his desires to travel the world. As she mentioned Xiao Li he snapped his fingers and mumbled, "That was the name..." under his breath. But he wasn't expecting the point that Kiyori was coming to at all. He was staring into his coffee cup as she spoke his name, and for a moment the man froze, simply blinking at the dark liquid as if it held answers for him. When he finally looked up at her the shock was all over his face. "Me?" he asked incredulously. "I... I am being fired because a host is now proven to be my daughter and you want to promote me to a position higher than that?" For a moment a smile pulled at the corner of his lips, a smile he quickly buried in a slight scowl as he thought about it.

He had trained his handler team himself, hand-picked them even. He had trained, and still was training, several others in the same arts. Though he did not hold the position Akihito did, he had already taken steps towards the man's position without realizing it. "I'm no sealer... not yet anyway. Are you sure you want me?"

TyDie

The Demoted Appointment

Post by TyDie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Kiyori grinned right back at the man as he smiled, slowly coming to the realization that she had come to a few days ago. "You're smart. I can see the understanding all over your face. You realize just as I do that, while you may not be capable of jinchuuriki sealing yourself, your understanding of the Genma and spirits in general has grown to incredibly high levels. Just the other day you came to me wanting to understand the genma as well as you could, after your promotion. I would even be willing to wager you understand spirits better than myself... And given my noggin, that's saying a lot." She may not have been invested in Tenkujutsu herself yet, but the woman boasted an incredible understanding of a multitude of styles and arts that she would likely never access herself, such as Jikukan through her mentor Hito.

Kiyori leaned back in her chair slightly, clearly trying her best to relax in the stuffy robes she wore. "If you'd like, I could find someone else I suppose. But I come to you not only because of what you can do now, but what you will be able to do later. I know you Souta; there's no such thing as a ceiling to you. Every time you reach a plateau, you manage to find another one for yourself to reach up for. I want someone like that. Plus, you're that perfect middle ground. You have seen the worst and aren't afraid to try new things, as shown with these new jinchuuriki you've raised up." Kiyori looked away from Souta towards the door, which was still open, as she saw the sun shining down on a few villagers walking by.

She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, turning her attention back to Souta. "None of this information is officially known. It'll likely take weeks before everything is finalized. That said, the sooner I have an answer, the sooner I'll know who I can and cannot yet replace within the council. Would you like to think about it? Or... do you have an answer for me now?" She had a feeling she knew the man's answer already, but she had to at least give him the chance to think it over...

She doubted he'd need to.
Active Characters

Willoria

The Demoted Appointment

Post by Willoria » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Souta was floored, and at the same time he was honored. To be on the council, especially as an active shinobi... the man who had been wondering how he was going to suddenly tend to the needs of a teenage girl realized he'd have no concerns. Not financially, and not with reputation either. He'd be able to protect her in every way possible. As Kiyori praised him, speaking of him reaching new heights every time he seemed at his pique, he couldn't help a chuckle. "You know one of these days that new plateau is gonna be retirement and a sushi restaurant right?" he teased, chuckling to himself a moment. In all seriousness it really was something he had set aside in his mind one day, but not yet. This he knew could mean setting aside plenty for that retirement, providing for Sakaki no matter what came.

The man nodded as she spoke of this being unofficial for now, and her need for an answer. "You know my answer." he said quietly, looking at her a moment. "I serve at your pleasure, Lady Kazekage."

TyDie

The Demoted Appointment

Post by TyDie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:31 pm

Kiyori smiled and nodded her head in understanding as he spoke of his retirement plans, finishing off her coffee as he went on to give her his answer. "You'll get there one day, but you've still got life in you yet. Gray hair or not, you've a healthy body. I wager another 40 years at least... Plenty of time to run your restaurant after i'm done with you." She gave a small wink and a chuckle as if he were her servant now, but in at least some ways he was... That was still such a strange thing for her to realize, that she was in charge of someone as strong as Souta. With a grin she reached for her hat and once more donned it before standing from her seat.

"That concludes my business with you for now Souta. Officially, you are no longer Sakaki's handler, but unofficially in a few weeks you will be in charge of all spirit advisory decisions. If you've any official concerns, send them through the appropriate channels... or get a hold of me directly if you have the chance. My life is incredibly busy now, as you can imagine. If you have any... unofficial concerns, send them through Arata. It's best to keep all of that on the down low." She would make her way for the door, turning only once to stop at the door and smile at him. "I expect great things from you my friend. Enjoy your time in Konoha, and say hello to Hokage Takeo-sama for me if you get the chance!"

With a final bow of respect, Kiyori would take her leave if Souta had nothing more to say.
Active Characters

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”