Investing in the Basics

Akihiro learns how Suna creates, supplies, and exports its textiles.

broodboy

Investing in the Basics

Post by broodboy » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:16 am

Bandage wrapped fingers pulled through messy brown hair as the genin let out a sigh. He lazily flipped through the pages of the latest materials compendium. There was never anything new sadly. Iron and copper rare metals like gold and silver and some mentions of extremely rare metals like platinum and zinc. While understanding the base materials was a requirement of any would-be artificer Akihiro felt burnt out on metallurgy. He turned his head to the growing shelf of carefully selected books or his craft. He got up and ran his fingers along the bindings until they came to a catalog detailing various thread and fibers their production and acquisition.

”You could be a fun new venture.”
A Complete Guide to Textiles:

Fibers are arranged in a variety of different ways depending on the intent of the weaver. You will want to select the correct material type and modify it during production to achieve desired strength, durability, appearance and texture. These generally fall into two categories: plant and animal fibers. Plants such cotton, hemp, linen, and even bamboo can all be harvested, processed, and woven into suitable fabrics on a loom. Animal fibers such wool and silk are protein based and often have different properties from their plant counterparts.

Spinning the fibers into yarn is a simple mechanical process either using a wheel or a spindle where one will often coat the fibers in oils to enhance strength and even alter properties of the yarn being spun.

Lastly the yarn needs to be weaved together from using a variety of methods, some more technical than others either knitting or weaving it on a loom. From there it can be used by seamstresses for whatever purposes they need.
The artificer crossed his arms with one poised below his chin as his eyes continued to scan the pages. ”This is entirely more complex than I thought, but it does not surprise me. I should really look into how Suna produces or acquires their fibers and start at the beginning of the production chain.”

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”