Crafty Crafting

Shikatsuko and Akihiro

Checkmate

Crafty Crafting

Post by Checkmate » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:05 am

Shikatsuko pulled the dark headscarf farther over her brow as she stepped into the unforgiving sunlight of Sunagakure no Sato. Students flowed around her as if she were a rock in a stream. She had been invited to present a guest lecture at Suna's academy and had happily obliged. It was a small gesture of cooperation between the villages, and she was happy to do her part, but more than that, she was excited to visit a new village during peace time. Other than during the war, and even then mostly at night, Shikatsuko had never really gotten out of the village much. She hoped this was the beginning of that change.

She also hoped to scope out another potential location for a branch of Yōhei, the new organization she was helping to found. She wasn't confident she would be able to make much progress on the matter just yet, since there was so much work left to be done in Konoha's branch before they were really ready to branch out, but all the same, it was in her mind, so she kept an eye out.

Contrary to how she most often walked around while in Konoha or on a mission, her aura senses were significantly restricted here. She only kept a simple radius around herself monitored, and even then, only paid attention to proximity for her own protection. Of course she was here for peaceful reasons, but there was no guarantee that everyone would feel peaceful toward her, an outsider.

While at the academy, she had heard of a few points of interest that she was excited to explore. The first, due to how close it was to the academy and how likely the person of interest was to be right where he should be, was Suna's Forges. It was apparently a crafting compound of sorts, though she would have to see it for herself to really understand what to think of it. She had ideas kicking around in her head, ideas of a team she was working on putting together. She had not brought any of those potential team members with her to Suna on this trip, but was happy to use it as an excuse to meet more people and see more of Suna. It was odd, being here during peace time. Her reflexes and instincts were still in many ways tuned to wartime, especially with so many differences to home all around her. The architecture, the climate, the ground, and especially the people. Everyone was so different here.

She made her way to the forges, accompanied by a Suna guide, and slowed as she approached the building. She knew it even before they turned the last corner. The sound proceeded it. The Forges' bellows sucked air like a dragon about to turn sand to glass. Shikatsuko had to ask her guide what the sound was, but once he told her, she couldn't believe she hadn't figured it out herself.

The entrance had metal statues of various kinds and they entered, Shikatsuko pulling the headscarf down to her neck now that they were out of the sun. But even though they weren't close to the flames of the forges, Shikatsuko could feel their heat. She waited as the guide went for a master craftsman who he said would probably agree to meet her. Her eyes wandered, and she even let her senses roam a little more than she had outside, but she was careful not to move or touch anything while she waited.

broodboy

Crafty Crafting

Post by broodboy » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:37 am

The forges were as hot as ever today as the genin shoveled coal into the bottom of one. A thin layer of ash covered his cheeks as hands even darker than his face pulled a chain causing the bellows to pump fresh oxygen into the belly of the furnace. With each pulse of air, the temperature raised incrementally. Akihiro made his way to the three other furnaces that were active today and repeated the process. While he was talented on his own he still was the newest member of the forges and as such was on coal duty many of the days.

The sound of a powerful hammer striking an anvil echoed louder than usual. Which meant Master Ohta was forging something or working on a new method. Either way, the way he struck metal was always distinctly different from others. His thin but extremely muscular body dripped with sweat and passion with each strike as the flames cause his skin to glisten like honey on a bright day. A jounin respectfully approached and greeted the Master as Akihiro observed between shovelfuls of coal. Ohta wiped the sweat from his face and body and dawned on a robe hiding his incredible physiqyue. He shuffled along to the entrance with his cane to greet the Konah Jounin who came to make a request of them.

His keen eyes sized her up as he approached. He could feel something reading him and poking at his aura but could not put his finger on why that was. He greeted her with respect but slowly. His age showed through his mannerisms and dictation. "Welcome to the forges of Sunagakure. I am Ohta the Master Craftsman. You must have traveled very far to seek out our furnaces specifically. What brings you to us today?" While it was true that the villages were in a peaceful time Ohta was from a time vastly different than that and his guard was up as most elders of the village did. He could sense her battle-tempered wit observing her surroundings and noticed her raven-like beauty. What have the gods brought to my doorstep today...

Checkmate

Crafty Crafting

Post by Checkmate » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:59 pm

Shikatsuko turned from her inspection of the room as her guide returned, bringing with him a man with enough wrinkles that his skin could have fit someone twice his height. She smiled cordially as she took the man in, bowing as her guide had instructed. The customs in Suna were just different enough that she had needed some help integrating them into her mannerisms and greeting. She was still clearly a foreigner, and did not try to pretend to be anything she was not, but was clearly making an effort.

"Master Craftsman Ohta, it is an honor to meet you in person. My name is Nara Shikatsuko, of Konohagakure no Sato. When I asked my guide Shoto what I should see while in your village, he mentioned your forges and I can see why. Never have I seen such an impressive expression of industry and intentionality. Nor anything nearly as grand as what you have here.” She said, looking around with wonder in her voice.

"I haven't seen much, but what I have seen has been more than impressive to my untrained eye. I just came from the academy, actually. I was invited to give a guest lecture as part of an inter-village peace initiative and while I was there, I heard that you take on students who have chosen a path apart from the normal shinobi path. I have also taken a somewhat unique path for the past several years, and have helped some others do the same if their inclinations and talents align. I would say I appreciate you as much for your mastery of your craft as your willingness to make a way for others to find their own path.” She bowed again. "It is truly an honor.” She finished, waiting for him to reply before saying more. She had said much, and she was taking a bit of a risk by speaking so much before getting a better feel for the man, but the risk was calculated. From here, she could adapt as needed.

"In fact, I was hoping you might be interested in something of a puzzle I've come upon related to a piece of armor I've had in mind for a team member of mine. I didn't know what to bring as a gift for someone as successful as yourself, so I thought I might bring a challenge." She spread her hands apart and tilted her head as she made the offer.

"If you're interested?”

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”