Don’t Kale the Vibe [OPEN]

Hotaru throws a fit.

Undine

Post by Undine » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:09 pm

~ Sunagakure no Sato, Wind Country ~
"I'm back home..." The young genin said as he entered his family's apartment within the Hizashi compound. The hall leading into the dining room was dark, and the house was still. Hotaru stood there for a few moments, lingering as if there would be someone home to respond. It had been weeks since he'd graduated from the Hizashi Academy and become a proper shinobi of the Sand. And yet, neither of his parents had come home to greet him or even written a letter. This was actually normal for the young genin, and as he began to step down the hall towards the empty dining room, left untouched since he'd left his apartment that morning for training, he stopped to glance out the window. He could hear the exited shouts, cheers, and laughter coming from the other apartments where his fellow genin and even academy students were also returning to their homes after their own training sessions.

It wasn't long before the young Hizashi found himself sitting in front of his family shrine, honoring his ancestors and deceased relatives, most of whom had died in service to Sunagakure as shinobi of various skill levels and reputations. It was here, where as he lit the incense and chanted a prayer for his parents to return home safely, that Hotaru whispered another type of prayer, this one just for himself. "Okaerinasai." As he had done, alone, for nearly six years now, ever since his parents went off to fight in the various conflicts of the Great War. As with most afternoons once his training was finished for the day, Hotaru was left to pursue his own interests. Without anyone waiting on him at home or demanding he do chores, he spent most of his evenings getting in extra practice or praying at temple.

Other days however, such as the one he was having today, Hotaru found himself consumed with a sense of frustration due to his loneliness. Of course, there were plenty of members of his clan he could go spend time with, training with his fellow Hizashi genin, or even go bug some of the older shinobi of the clan standing guard around the compound. Over the years, Hotaru had burned enough bridges with his outbursts that few of his fellow clan members would invite him over for dinner or even go out of their way to include him if they could get away with it. His graduation ceremony had been a strictly formal affair, most had only left minor gifts or letters at his door for him to find after the actual ceremony itself. With the fact that every time he'd worked up the courage to ask someone of his parents fate, he'd only be informed they were busy with more important matters than him. Hotaru knew they were alive though, if they had died during the war, surely someone would have told him. Hopefully.

Hizashi were known for their hot temperament, but Hotaru specifically had developed quite the passionate streak for acting out. It was something he was becoming increasingly aware of himself, just could stop himself from doing the things he did. It was like all the uncertainty, loneliness, and resentment growing inside him would spill out like embers on the wind, and there was no telling when one could catch spark and engulf him in an inferno. Today it seemed that the ember caught upon thee wind was the sound of laughter, children running around outside, playing while their mothers prepared their diner. Hotaru turned from the window to his own kitchen, remembering a time when he was very little, his mother teaching him how to wash vegetables while they splashed each other with water and laughed. He still remembered which greenhouse they picked those vegetables from as hot tears begun to fall from his cheeks. It was all so overwhelming, which itself had become a familiar sensation to the young genin over the years. Hotaru stood there and cried for a few moments, cursing himself and his weakness. Soon his body temperature began to rise and his pain turned into anger, and then he was out the door, running out of the Hizashi compound, wiping the tears from his face.

Eventually, Hotaru found himself standing atop a neighboring building of the Hizashi compound, panting and thirsty. Quickly finding a fountain with fresh water in the center of the greenhouse, Hotaru put his face in the fountain, gulping in large amounts of water before coming up for air. Pulling his wet headband out of his eyes, he found his anger had faded back to sadness, but he refused to allow himself to start crying again, instead kicking a small rock across the greenhouse and stubbing his toes in the process. His anger flaring once again, Hotaru ran over to the rock and tried to break it by stomping on it. Instead, a sharp pain ran through his foot. His frustration growing, Hotaru picked the rock up and threw it, right through one of the glass panels of the greenhouse with a loud crash. Instantly he knew he was in trouble, the greenhouses were practically sacred, if he was caught, and he knew well enough that he would indeed be caught, he'd be taken before the clan elders to receive a scolding and any other sort of punishment. They wouldn't be able to ignore him this time, a thought that lingered in Hotaru's mind. The same thought that caused him to pick up another rock, readying to throw it at another panel.
Heart EmpireShow
Kinoko, Aoi ~ Heart Empire ~ Akibushi
~ Aoi, The Blue Kinoko ~
SunagakureShow

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:28 pm

Alone on a rooftop, under the strangely calm sun of Wind Country, the blue haired Jinchuuriki of Janesisu no Toukougenma sat in a meditative trance, one leg crossed over the other as his eyes were shut tight. In this state, even the genma within him was silent for once, as he simply focused on the stimuli passing around and through him. The gentle heat of the midday sun warming his pale skin, the soft breeze washing over his slightly sweaty body, cooling his temperature and sending a small shiver down his spine. The hustle and bustle of the village beneath him, civilians going about their daily routines unaware of his presence on the rooftops above. It was... peaceful. Quiet. Tranquil.

Until the sudden "CRASH" rang out over the winds, Takuma's eyes darting open in response as shock overtook him.

"By the light... that sounded like glass." the boy said to himself, though the voice within responded to his idle prattle. "Oh, are we done here? How sad... I was enjoying relaxing under the warmth of my creation." Takuma, normally a child to fear the beast within him, couldn't help the roll of his eyes... Surely the creation genma hadn't actually created the sun itself, the very celestial body that all worshippers of Yuumagure found sacred...

Right?

There wouldn't be time to question her on that matter, as the boy quickly stood to look out in the direction of the sound, seeing one of the Naegi greenhouses in the distance with a panel missing from it's sides. That can't be good... the boy thought to himself as he quickly hopped across a few roofs like stepping stones. As he got there, he rushed into the building and saw a young, tan boy, covered in markings, holding a rock as he looked at the glass surrounding the greenhouse. "Hey!" Takuma shouted out, not so much with authority per se but definitely with a sense of urgency. "You shouldn't do that, these greenhouses are very important! Put the rock down!" His starry eyes scanned the boy's figure, noting the excessive ink the boy was covered in along with his red hair and petite but muscular figure. He looked to be about Takuma's age as well, and given the figure and his current location at the Naegi greenhouse, Takuma could only assume that he too was a shinobi - likely a genin, like him.

"Why don't you tell me who you are, and why you wanted to shatter the glass like that? Is everything okay?"
Active Characters
Village of OriginCharacter Name & LinkRankColor
Sunagakure no SatoHenrin EmiGenin[color=darkgoldenrod][b][/b][/color]
Konohagakure no SatoIbakuro AiyaChuunin[color=#8CD600][/color]
Kumogakure no SatoJinrai ShizuneGenin[color=#de2c9b][/color]

Undine

Post by Undine » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:58 pm

Hotaru's grip on the rock in his hand tightened, part of him wanted to break everything within reach, another part of him wanted to take it all back, to unbreak the glass panel, to take back all the things he'd said or done over the years, all his acts of defiance. All he wanted was to know what had actually happened to his parents. Everyone always swore to him that they were still alive, just off fighting in the Great War, bring honor to the Hizashi clan and protecting the interests of Sunagakure and Wind Country. But the war was over now, and even weeks after the rest of the shinobi had returned from the conflict his parents were still nowhere to be seen or heard from, the truth still being kept from him. He was alone. Even with all the members of the clan surrounding him, his guardians checking up on him now and then, and his shinobi assignments and training keeping him busy. Hotaru was alone. He suddenly became very much aware of the many tattoos scattered across his skin, most of the time they gave him a sense of pride, or comfort in his loneliness, other times he wandered if his parents would even recognize him if they ever did return home. The thought made his skin itch, like he wanted to wash away all the bad things he'd done since they left six years ago. In this moment, his tattoos felt suffocating, like he didn't recognize himself either.

The sudden voice ringing out behind him broke Hotaru from his thoughts, as he took a moment to be startled before turning to glare at whoever had dared to call him out on his behavior. Apart of Hotaru was aware that he wanted to get in trouble, to cause a ruckus and draw the attention of his elders. What Hotaru was more presently aware of however, was the intimating gaze of the young shinobi before him. Hotaru immediately noticed the tell tell traits of the Kouseki clan, which meant the boy before him was likely a fellow genin, possibly assigned to keep an eye on the area. Based on the young shinobi's appearance, Hotaru assumed he could take him on in a fist fight, though there was no telling what sort of jutsu and other means the Kouseki might have at his disposal, not that Hotaru wanted to get into such an encounter. Still, his eyes seemed off putting, something clearly off, and for a moment he assumed the boy had some sort of Dōjutsu, but that didn't make sense. Having grown up almost exclusively among his fellow Hizashi, Hotaru had had limited contact with non-clan members, but had still been taught the basics of the other clans of Sunagakure. He didn't remember the Kouseki clan as having ocular abilities.

As the young Kouseki told him to drop the rock, Hotaru lowered his raised hand, turning to face the boy, looking down at the rock in his hand, gripping it so tightly it hurt his hand. The pain seemed to reassure and calm him, as he returned his gaze to the young shinobi before him, it wasn't as if Hotaru wanted to shatter the glass, it had just happened, or at least he hadn't come here to break things. "I'm not even sure anymore." Hotaru said, his thoughts and emotions curling around each other, confusing him to the point of frustration. Of course he'd lashed out, it's what he always did, it had become a cycle for Hotaru in the last few years. Lash out, seek repentance, get a new tattoo meant to remind him of who he was trying to become, a better version of himself. One second all Hotaru had was anger, in the next, he was swept over with sadness and grief. "I just don't know what to do anymore, everyone just lies to me." He muttered to himself, the tears threatening to break free from his eyes, and the thought of letting another shinobi see him cry ignited his fire once more, as Hotaru raised the rock again, ready to throw it at the other genin.
Heart EmpireShow
~ Aoi, The Blue Kinoko ~
SunagakureShow

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:33 pm

As Takuma looked at the damage around the area, he realized that in all honesty, it wouldn't be hard to fix it. It could be as simple as him just making another glass panel for them to pop in place and cleaning away the glass, no harm no foul. He was more worried about the troubled young boy across from him, the tears welling in his eyes as he felt he was being lied to. But before Takuma could even respond, it seemed the young child was intent on tossing the rock at Takuma. Without missing a beat, the young Jinchuuriki was engulfed by black and while chakra, and a moment later he was enshrouded by his signature crystal - Blue Goldstone. It formed a spiked armor around his body, making sure that if the rock was thrown with any kind of significant force, he'd be safe from any real damage.

"Easy, I don't want this to turn to violence okay? Let's back up alright? You feel like you're being lied to - about what though? Maybe I can help you, but only if I know what the problem is." As he spoke, he thought about producing a weapon in addition to the crystals protecting him, but that didn't seem like a good way to de-escalate. No, if he needed to fight back, he had jutsu for that. He wanted to appear as small and non-threatening as possible. "My name is Kouseki, Takuma. I'm a genin, and a puppeteer, so you can already tell I don't want to fight. If I did, I'd have my puppet out. So put the rock down, take a deep breath, and let me try to help you. Let's start with your name, can you tell me that?"
Active Characters

Undine

Post by Undine » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:17 pm

"Fight you?" The Kouseki's words gave Hotaru pause, he couldn't attack a fellow Suna shinobi, it went against everything he'd ever been taught, to say nothing of what would happen to him once the Hizashi Clan elders heard word of it. No, violence wasn't the answer, if anything trying to get more information on his parents' assignments might be easier if Hotaru went around his clan leaders, not that he had any real idea of the going ons of the village outside his clan compound, at least where his fellow shinobi were concerned. Hotaru hadn't even been assigned to a detail with non-Hizashi yet, and during trainings he'd only spotted them from afar. Perhaps that was another failing of his clan, isolation from the rest of their community.

"I'm, I'm sorry. I-" Hotaru's emotions where all haywire, and catching up to him faster than the night fleeing from the sunrise. "I don't really know how to explain." His grip on the rock loosened, until it fell from his grasp, clattering the to the stone tile below. The young genin seemed to exhale out an aura of weariness, his whole body seeming to relax after releasing some sort of overdue burden. His eyes fell to the floor, small tears spilling down his cheeks. Hotaru was emotionally tire as he allowed himself to fall to his knees, hands held firm to his stomach, as if it were in knots and causing him pain. "I haven't even seen my parents since before the Great War started, six years." He looked up to Takuma, as if pleading him to give him a reason his parents never came to see him. "That was half of my life ago." Hotaru's voice cracked, he'd never been so open with anyone, never allowed himself to be so honest about his loneliness. Maybe it was because Takuma wasn't a Hizashi, and Hotaru didn't feel the same pressure to bare with it that he'd felt around his clan members. "To make it worse, no one is willing to tell me anything. I mean, I know they are alive, or at least that's what I keep getting told." His anxiety getting the better of him, as Hotaru's words became faster and his breathing more shaky.
Heart EmpireShow
~ Aoi, The Blue Kinoko ~
SunagakureShow

TyDie

Post by TyDie » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:54 pm

Takuma smiled slightly as he saw the boy drop the rock and get ahold of his emotions... or at least, he got a hold of his anger. Now it was just sorrow that flowed out of the boy, like a faucet left on a drip, much like the water coming from his eyes. Takuma sighed as he performed a single hand seal, dispelling the crystalline armor that surrounded him now that it was clear the threat of a fight was gone. Letting out a deep breath, the young Kouseki would let his hands rest by his sides, nice and relaxed, while the other boy began to speak... Of course, when he fell down, Takuma couldn't help but rush to his side, resting a hand on Hotaru's shoulders. His plight was... painful.

"Hey, there's no need for tears. It's okay." Takuma would gently squeeze the boy's shoulder, his starry eyes scanning over the boy's tattooed body with keen interest. "Your tattoos are wonderful, you know. Why don't you tell me about them? Is there meaning in the scribbles?" A common tactic - distract with an observation, cushion the blow with humor, try to buy time to address the serious topic. He was genuinely curious of course, but the idea was that he needed to address the boy's family... which was hard because he didn't know a thing about him. Not even his name!

"I... I don't know your parents, I'm afraid. But I do know that Her Light's rays reach every corner of the world. And I promise you that, wherever they are, they can feel the same rays of warmth that you feel right now. When you think of things that way, they're not too far away... right?" He wasn't sure how devout the boy was, but Yuumagure held a high place in Sunagakure's general culture. Surely he'd at least understand what Takuma was trying to do... but he assumed by now that the young boy had heard this all before. Suddenly though, an idea entered Takuma's head.

"Is there anything that reminds you of your parents? A memento, or maybe some kind of keepsake? Or it could even be something not so personal, just something you might see that reminds you of them."
Active Characters

Undine

Post by Undine » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:52 pm

While his emotions where still getting the better of him, Hotaru no longer felt angry, the gentle words from the other genin didn't really register in his mind, as in that moment Hotaru didn't really care. However, the tone that Takuma used had registered, and it'd been a long time since anyone had tried to reassure the young Hizashi. It was likely having the desired effect one way or the other, as Hotaru could feel himself calming down. There was still a knot in his stomach, a dark seed of pain and loss he had never really allowed himself to digest. His parents weren't dead, no reason to mourn. Right?

The hand on his shoulder almost startled him, physical touch was mostly regulated to combat training, and Hotaru managed to stop himself in spite of the instinct to flinch. At mention of his tattoos, the young boy looked into the Kouseki's starry gaze, searching for some sense of shared faith. With nearly every person within Sunagakure being of the Children of the Sun, it was rare to find someone who didn't follow The Sun and Her Light, but it was rarer still to find an individual with the same degree of faith as Hotaru and the sect he followed. Hotaru understood that most would consider him to be a zealot, but his faith was the only thing keeping him together, and even Hotaru realized that. Still, Yuumagure tattoos were common enough, as with most religions, or so Hotaru guessed, but it was still an uncommon sight within the village to see someone with as many tattoos as him, especially one so young. Perhaps that was why Takuma referred to his tattoos in such a cheeky manner.

"Scribbles?" Hotaru asked, suddenly both bemused and slightly taken aback. He would had been offended by the notion of his body being covered in scribbles, if it weren't a common enough occurrence for the tattoos' meaning to go unnoticed. "Can't you read the ancient calligraphy and symbiology of our desert dweller ancestors? I know it isn't taught as part of the basic education within the village, but jeez you should at least recognize the script, even if you can't read it." Hotaru grinned at Takuma, wiping the few reaming tears from his face as he stood up. "Hizashi, Hotaru is my name, I apologize for my rude behavior, we should probably leave before an angry Naegi or other shinobi catches us." Hotaru spoke, looking around quickly before turning to leave the greenhouse. It was just then that a large object smashed into the right side of his face, knocking the young genin off his feet and tossing him a few meters aground, having fallen into the ornate sandstone water fountain.

A frail looking old woman appeared in the doorway to a shaded portion of the greenhouse, glass and metal framed door marked with the symbol of House Naegi. It closed behind her, almost as if on it's own, as she stepped into the greenhouse proper, her walking stick raised menacingly in one hand and twisted sprouting in the other. "Oi, you just planning to trod off after you've broken the instruments of my labor? Come in to my greenhouse with your petty problems and throwing a wobbly, think you can just toss rocks whichever way you want without consequence. I'll not have it, get back here you hot headed git, get over here." Hotaru sat up, his legs dangling over the side of the fountain, as he tried to understand what had just knocked the wind out of him. The elderly woman held the sprouting out towards the fountain, as a spattering of vines shot out from her hand at a blinding speed, binding the young Hizashi and lifting him into the air. "I outta fling you out that nice hole you made, you little prat." She spat at him, as she closed her fist, causing the vines to tighten around Hotaru, causing him to gasp in pain, before jerking her arm towards the ground, causing the vines to slam the boy into the stone floor.

Coughing and wheezing as he tried to catch his breath, Hotaru could already feel the bruises forming on his body, though he lacked the clarity to know if anything was broken. He'd barely managed to attempt an apology before the vines loosened and the elderly Naegi let him go. "I... I'm sorry." He uttered, still taking in sharp gasps of air, as he suddenly felt his cheeks flush with tears for the second time this afternoon. The woman didn't seem so frail now, not with all the plants in the greenhouse around her. The vines had already begun to shrink back into a the previous twisted little sprouting, but Hotaru knew better than to think she couldn't cause it to grow out once again. "I'm sorry!" The young Hotaru wasn't sure what else to say, he had no money to replace the glass panel, and he'd have to face the wrath of his clan elders in order to repay the Naegi for the expense. He hadn't been thinking, and the last thing he'd come here expecting was to sledgehammered in the face by seed the size of his skull and twice as strong, to say nothing of being rammed into the ground by a vine fist.
Image of the WomanShow
Heart EmpireShow
~ Aoi, The Blue Kinoko ~
SunagakureShow

Return to “Sunagakure no Sato”