Call Me Friend But Keep Me Closer

Amy

Post by Amy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:06 pm

It had been a long day. A long week. Weeks. Kiyo had gotten back from her last trip to Iwa feeling like a new woman. The mundane life she lived in Kiri suddenly seemed a lot more pleasant when she knew that she would be leaving on another trip soon. Going to work every day no longer seemed like a burden, rather a chance to move things along as efficiently as possible to get on the seas. Thoughts of Kota popped in and out of her mind throughout each day, becoming nearly non-stop by the time she laid in bed at night. This time, each thought was pleasant and they all made her smile. Some caused her heart to flutter wildly, some caused a light weight to settle in the pit of her stomach, and some made her face flush, especially when she was in public. But every one of them, every time, brought a smile to her face. She had already been planning her next trip to Iwa when she arrived home but her plans were soon crushed when her father informed her that he was going to be away for several weeks. Her brother was already out of the country and so it fell to her to supervise everything until one of them returned.

The same day she found out she had penned a letter to Lord Akari, much more reserved than her last one to him. As they had just gotten things cleared between them she didn’t want there to be any misunderstandings when she did not return to Iwa in a timely manner. It had been a quick note, explaining the delays that she was experiencing and an expected date of her return to the village. She had signed it the same way she had her previous one. After that, she had unfortunately begun losing track of time being unused to the type of work her father did. The paperwork was fine, it was the meetings that killed her. Budget meetings, personnel meetings, profit meetings, it seemed like there was a meeting for everything. All of the time. But nothing, Kiyo thought to herself as she smiled across the table at a client, was worse than business meetings. And Mr. Agawa was the worst of the worst. She had been out with him and her father before and he was a loud drunk and loved to talk more than he loved to breathe. And he was touchy, apparently, when her father wasn’t around

It was even more annoying because she had been alerted only that morning that Lord Akari was coming. To Kiri. That same day. To see her, she selfishly assumed, not at all prepared for how she would feel if that wasn’t the case. So she had spent all morning in a whirlwind, finishing her work as quickly as possible. And then Mr. Agawa showed up, claiming he had a meeting. Which, to his credit, he did. Because both her father and his secretary had forgotten to cancel it.

Six. Hours. Mari.

Kiyo had arrived back at her family’s offices long after lunch had been over. It was a large warehouse style building with only the front area being reserved for the offices. There was a small seating area to the left of the door when entering and at the end of the short room was a large half-moon reception desk where Mari sat and directed traffic. The young woman was in her late twenties and appeared to be reserved but that was only as long as the clients behaved themselves. She had short blond hair and a sensible taste in fashion. This was where Kiyo headed when she stormed back into the building, the door practically blowing open before her.

Six. Hours.” Kiyo repeated herself, laying the upper half of her body across the desk. She was wearing form-fitting black pants and a cream colored sleeveless top. Her hair had been done up in a bun, held together by an ornate kanzashi but as she lay across the desk she pulled it out, letting her hair tumble down to cover her face.

Kiyo…” Mari sounded concerned, her eyes constantly glancing past Kiyo.

I’ll never forgive you for forgetting to cancel,” Kiyo continued, not hearing the woman at all, a heavy pout in her voice. “He just kept drinking and drinking and drinking and let me tell you the more he drank the more handsy he got. My father is going to hear about that when he gets back. Imagine his reaction when he finds out one of his favorite clients tried to grope his daughter. I’ll never forgive my father, either. Business or not, he’s lucky I didn’t kick him in the balls.

Ahem! Kiyo, you really shou-

Kiyo tilted her head up without lifting it so that she could see Mari. “What am I going to do, Mari? I was supposed to go home early today and now I’m exhausted. What time did the notice say Lord Akari was supposed to arrive? I’ll be devastated if he doesn’t come to see me first, you know.

Well, it didn’t say, Kiyo, but if you could pl-

Kiyo groaned loudly, cutting her off again. She stood up from the desk and stretched, untucking her shirt from her pants as she did, revealing a small sliver of skin around her waist. "Maybe I can run home and sneak in a shower before he gets here. Do I smell like that pig after sitting next to him for six hours?” She grinned, shoving her arm at Mari, finally taking note of the concern on the woman’s face with another tilt of the head “What’s wrong, Mari?

Kiyo! Please!” Desperation laced the woman’s face as she nodded past Kiyo once more, to the waiting area by the front door.

Running her hand through her hair, Kiyo spun to see what Mari was so desperate for her to look at.
Last edited by Amy on Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My CharactersShow
B-Rank MNKatō, Tsubaki #A32638
Sp. Jounin • Kirigakure no Sato • Araki Kiyo #DDA0DD
Akibushi • Heart Empire • Kimura, Misaki #FF80BF
Genin • Iwagakure no Sato • Kazuma #00BF80

Kao

Post by Kao » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:30 pm

The days after Kiyo returned to Kirigakure would have bled together had it not been for the letters. They didn't compare to hearing her voice, to seeing every feature of her face and how they changed with her different expressions. But the letters gave Kotaru something to look forward to. There were friendly letters, casual in content. Short letters and long. There were steamy letters, in which he recounted their nights together in vivid detail - just in case she'd forgotten - and then detailed the ways he wanted to touch her the next time they met. There were letters where he just rambled about how boring it was in the village nowadays or how he'd found some new restaurant to take her to. He had a growing list of destinations for them both and was eager to start going down the list. Whenever stress edged its way in, whenever he felt himself receding back into the shadows of his mind, Kotaru went to the carved wooden box where he kept her letters and picked one at random and read.

It didn't take long for his subordinates to catch on and notice the bannin had been oddly...pleasant. His infamously permanent scowl became something more like a slight frown and was far less harsh. More than once his subordinates found Kotaru in his office not pouring over documents and maps, but spinning slowly in the chair with his eyes fixed on the wall or ceiling, gaze distant and wistful. There were whispers here and there about what could possibly have the man so relaxed. Only a few guessed correctly, and they had enough tact and sense of self-preservation to not say anything, not even among themselves.

Kotaru had been in his office when her latest letter arrived. He had been expecting her to tell him any day now when she could visit. He'd been patient as the weeks went by, even when he wanted nothing more than to ask her directly when he'd see her again. That patience fizzled out when his eyes fell upon her very formal and very brief words. With a frown he tossed the letter to the side, annoyed at Kiyo's delay. But that could be easily fixed.

Every one of his direct subordinates silently objected. Kotaru rarely left the country, so the thought of him going to Kirigakure of all places was daunting, especially with all the work that needed to be done. Hideo, his closest aid and friend, simply raised his brow. He knew better than to ask for details in the presence of listening ears, especially when it didn't take much for him to figure out the real reason for the sudden visit. He did as he was told, sending word ahead to Kirigakure that Lord Akari Kotaru was on his way for a friendly visit. They were to notify whoever needed to know of his impending presence. Naohiro, perhaps. Certainly not Shinjiro judging by the way Kotaru nearly snarled at the mere mention of the jinchuuriki's name. And they were to notify Araki Kiyo. Discreetly.

With the help of the newly created and still not quite publicized space-time hubs between the two villages, it took little time for Kotaru to make his way to the Mist. The first thing he noticed when he stepped outside was the air. The man wrinkled his nose, sniffing at the dampness that blanketed the village. It was muggy and thick, and the very distinct scent of sea salt stung his nostrils. He immediately hated it.

Kotaru was unsure how Hideo had managed to arrange his travels so quietly, but as he made his way to Kiyo's workplace he made a note to himself to thank the man properly when he returned. It didn't take long for him to find the large building marked Seafare Imports, and he walked in casually as if he'd been there dozens of times before. He waited hours - two hours and seventeen minutes - before Kiyo finally stormed through the doors, completely unaware he was sitting in the small waiting area near the entrance. The man lifted his head from the back of the plush chair, watching her with a growing smirk as she started to complain to the receptionist. He even took the time to admire her from behind as she leaned over and laid on the counter. Oh, how badly he wanted to be behind her while she was in that exact position, his hands gripping her hips while he -

Every salacious thought evaporated the moment he heard the word handsy. Kotaru's smirk instantly faded and the excited glint in his eyes ignited, melting his delighted anticipation until it was something akin to liquid steel. Every word she spoke added fuel to his growing rage, and by the time she turned to him he was quietly seething.

"Hello Kiyo," he crooned, only the slightest hint of his anger seeping into his voice. "So which unlucky bastard has forfeited the privilege of having two hands?"
Last edited by Kao on Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Akari KotaruBanninIwagakure no Sato Team 18 Jousai [color=#1fb8a3]
Komiya ShizuoJounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#209DD3]
Yanagida Yukino Special Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#a07ac2]
Ishiwara SetsunaChuunin Iwagakure no Sato[color=#E81D1D]
Enkouten Mai Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#CE5412]
Aisu Namie Chuunin Kirigakure no Sato [color=#5bc2d4]
Awai FusaeA-Rank MNKonohagakure no Sato[color=#D95FEA]
Important NPCsShow
Akari Kanehara Akari clan elder [color=#80A0FF]
Sakata KannaIwagakure Councilwoman [color=#3DA43B]
Hazuki Shuran Jinchuuriki researcher [color=#E854C0]
Enkouten Kaizen Iwagakure councilman, clan leader [color=#C65871]
Rock Country Daimyo [color=#AC4A4A]

Amy

Post by Amy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:45 pm

Hello, Lord Akari,” Kiyo purred back as her eyes found him staring at her with a slightly less than pleasant expression on his face. Making a mental note to be more attentive to Mari when she talked, Kiyo leaned back against the desk, folding her arms around her waist. As soon as she saw him, she could feel the shift in the air, like electricity now danced between them. It had been the same the last time they had met, in that bar in Iwa. It was the feeling of a nearly irresistible desire to go to him, as though she belonged by his side and her body refused to be denied. Not even the simmering anger in his eyes or the hint of it in his words was enough to dampen how excited she was to see him. She had been on edge ever since that morning when she found out he was coming to the village. But now that he was there, that edge had melted away and all that was left behind was a pleasant warmth, forcing her to accept just how much she had been missing him.

Ah, Kiyo, do you thi-

You can go, Mari.” Kiyo blinked rapidly several times, realizing that she was still staring at Lord Akari, his threat, or promise, still hanging in the air. “I’ll lock up.

The young woman wasted no time shooting up from her chair, mumbling a quick goodnight to Kiyo. She nearly ran to the door, pausing only long enough to offer Lord Akari a bow before practically slamming the door behind her. Now alone, the static in the air only seemed to intensify between them. She wondered if he could feel it too, dancing along his skin and across his spine. Even while she wondered if she should stay by the desk and give him some time, some space, she found herself pushing off of it, slowly walking towards him.

Now, I could tell you who, but that sounds like it will result in a lot of paperwork.” Her voice was low, gently teasing. She took a short detour on her way to him, flipping the lock of the door. With a heavy sigh, Kiyo fell into the seat next to him. She leaned her head back but tilted it towards him so that she could keep him in her view. “And I really hate paperwork.

The whole jealous protector thing that men liked to do had never been particularly attractive to her. She had always been more than capable of standing up for and defending herself. But, there was no denying how good of a look it was on Kota. Perhaps, she considered, her fingers tapping idly on the armrest between them, it was because it didn’t sound like an empty threat coming from him. She did not doubt for a single moment that he was serious. That if she told him the name of her father’s client, and offered no objection, that he would indeed take away that man’s privilege of having two hands. Maybe it should have worried her a little, how unbothered she was by this realization. But it didn’t worry her at all. What did worry her was the wicked delight that curled low in her stomach at the thought.

She sighed again, grinning, letting a little bit of the wickedness she felt show. She had told herself, as she walked over to him, that she wouldn’t antagonize him further. But this close to him, barely a breath away, she couldn’t claim to be thinking clearly. Not when she was lost in the heat in his eyes. “Do you think I can’t handle myself around an old handsy creep? Or is it that you just can’t stand the thought that another man’s hand was pressed against my ass, even if it was just for a moment?” Her voice was low, like she was telling him her darkest secret. She shifted in the seat, leaning towards him so that the neck of her blouse drifted open just slightly. “Or, more specifically, is it that he was the last one to touch me? Because that would be a much easier problem to solve.” She raised an eyebrow at him, making no attempt to hide the dare in her eyes.
My CharactersShow

Kao

Post by Kao » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:55 pm

She was absolutely perfect. Even as irritation snaked through him Kotaru couldn’t help but think how gorgeous Kiyo was as she stood across the room, casually leaning against the receptionist’s desk. This was only their third meeting and in a way it felt like the first, when he had really paused to admire her beauty. His breath stilled, just as it had done in that dim hotel room. Kotaru could certainly feel it, the spark that danced between them and made his heartbeat pick up speed. The only sign of its effect on him was the way his eyes slowly dipped to her hips, to the sliver of skin that was still exposed from when she had untucked her shirt. When he raised his gaze to meet hers his eyes had cooled, though only marginally.

His subdued reaction changed as Kiyo crossed the room. His eyes again flickered down and up, lingering on her chest this time, and the fire burning in his eyes shifted. The way her hips moved while she walked, effortlessly sultry, had his mind swirling. And when she locked the door his eyes darkened, lust flooding in and washing out that near-boiling rage, and the man found himself struggling to remain focused on her words. When Kiyo sat in the seat beside him, Kotaru’s hands curled into loose fists lest he reach over and pull her into his lap. ”You and I have that in common,” he replied after a contemplative hum. “Paperwork is the worst part of any day and really ruins my fun.”

He didn’t want to talk about work. Kotaru didn’t want to talk about anything in that moment, especially not the jackass who had touched Kiyo without her wanting it. He could barely stand the idea of her choosing to be touched by someone else; the thought of it happening against her will made his blood boil. Kiyo didn’t seem overly bothered by it now. Instead, the grin she gave him took on an almost diabolical air as she seemed to dangle what had happened in front of him. His brows raised slightly, surprised - but certainly not turned off - by her wicked expression. It was a fascinating and welcome response and he wondered where it came from. “Careful Kiyo,” he murmured, the corners of his mouth now threatening to turn upwards, “you should know by now that I bite. But since you asked, it’s the latter. The only hands I want to think about being on your ass are mine. And you’re right, that is a problem.”

Now. He wanted her now, in the lobby of her workplace. In these chairs, on that desk. There was no way to hide how much he craved her. It was near palpable, hanging thickly in the air between them. He’d been so patient, and he hadn’t been with anyone else since she’d last visited. No one else could compare to the woman in front of him and he hadn’t even considered it. Not a single day went by that he didn’t think of her in every way. Kotaru wouldn’t be able to focus on anything else that evening, not until he could touch her again. So he spread his knees further apart so she could see every bit of his desire.

”So let’s solve it.”
Last edited by Kao on Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Amy

Post by Amy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:37 pm

And solve the problem they did.

He was perfect, Kiyo thought to herself through the haze of lust that surrounded them so closely that nothing and no one else mattered. Her hands ran up his spine as his hands raced down her own, clothes that were only in the way tossed to the side Not once since they had met had he made her feel like she needed to make herself smaller, easier to handle. He had never made her feel like she was too much. He had never once looked away from the side of her that led his hands to the exact places on her ass that needed his touch to replace the other. The side of her that had no shame in doing what she wanted, where she wanted, and when she wanted. Knowing that she would have absolutely no remorse afterwards.

But maybe, it was because he was the same. Since the moment they had met they had been pace for pace with each other. Every time one of them had laid down a challenge, a taunt, a dare, the other had risen to meet it. Kiyo knew that she had barely scratched the surface of finding out who Kota was, but somehow she was confident that no matter what she saw she would not turn away from him. If asked, she wouldn’t be able to explain how she knew. She simply did. Later, maybe, she would think about it more. But as his hand lighted against her back, guiding her against the desk, there were more pressing things to focus on.

-----------------------

Kiyo turned her key in the lock, listening to the deadbolt fall into place with a resounding click. She leaned her shoulder against the doorframe, a satisfied sigh tumbling from her lips as she looked over at Kota. She shook her head slightly, her face still flushed from what they had done. She just couldn’t get over it, how willing he was to indulge her. As though he simply couldn’t resist her and the requests and demands she uttered to him.

Well, that was a first,” she said with a sly grin, though she wasn’t quite sure why she did say it. She wasn’t even sure why the thought brought her so much pleasure that she grinned wider the more she thought about it. There was just something about knowing that he was the only one who had had his hands on her in this place that delighted her. That it was his memory, and his alone, that would now haunt her during her slowest days when she already struggled to keep him off of her mind. “I can’t imagine focusing at work is going to be any easier now.

With a carefree laugh, Kiyo pushed off of the door frame and waited for Kota to join her before joining the crowded streets of Kiri. She walked close to him, their shoulders and backs of their hands brushing against each other as they weaved through the crowds. Despite the desire, she waited to see if he would take her hand. She had no fears that he was embarrassed to be seen with her but she also didn’t know if he would appreciate the kind of attention and gossip that might draw. They had held hands the last time they were in Iwa but for some reason, in Kiri, it didn’t feel the same. So, she contented herself with simply being right by his side.

I hope you’re hungry, because I’m famished,” she said as they began nearing the inner part of the village where the majority of her favorite restaurants were. “And since you’re my guest this time I don’t want to hear any arguments about whose treat it is. Are you in the mood for anything specifically?” Kiyo had already mentally crossed off multiple places she enjoyed going because they were always too crowded and too loud and she didn’t feel like trying to shout in order to hold a conversation. All she needed to know now was how he was feeling so she could pick the perfect place. It hadn't seemed that important that morning but now, she couldn't deny that she really wanted him to enjoy wherever they went.
My CharactersShow

Kao

Post by Kao » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:05 pm

For once he didn’t fall asleep when they finished. Kotaru stood just beyond the door’s threshold, rolling his shoulders as Kiyio locked up. Her comment made him snort, and a smirk bloomed on his lips. “That lobby will never be the same,” the bannin mused as he swept back his hair, forgoing his signature high ponytail for now. “Later we can visit your office for another round.” Kotaru chucked, the sound rumbling in his chest, quietly wondering what other rooms in the building they could have their fun in. If it were up to him, he’d make sure there wasn’t a single room in the building that wouldn’t remind Kiyo of him.

Able to think clearly now, Kotaru stretched his arms above his head. The thin black fabric of his sleeveless tank rose above his hips, and he didn’t bother to pull it back down when he slung his jacket over his shoulder. He fell in step next to Kiyo, his eyes briefly flickering upwards at the mist-shrouded sky. His hands settled at his sides, though not because he didn’t want to hold her hand.

He was distracted. The closer they got to the center of the village the more uncomfortable Kotaru became. Kirigakure was huge, easily just as sprawling as Iwagakure’s Overground. The atmosphere, though, was different. He was used to the steely, frigid ferocity of his countrymen. These people were radiating a different type of intensity. If Iwagkure’s people had the blunt brutality of a hammer, the people of Kiri had a sharpness about them. An edge. It hung over the village just as noticeably and heavily as the ever-present mist.

He hummed, mulling over her question as he scanned the crowd. At first it seemed no one took notice of the pair, but as the number of people filling the area increased so did curious gazes. Kotaru bristled. He’d forgotten what it felt like to have so many unfamiliar eyes on him at once. When he looked at Kiyo, unease had pulled his lips into a tight line. The bannin tried to force himself to relax, but the tsunami of new sights and scents made him tense, as if bracing for the physical impact of it all.

”No,” he replied after loosing a long sigh through his nose, any argument flowing out of him along with that breath, “Nothing in particular, you can pick.”
Last edited by Kao on Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Amy

Post by Amy » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:50 pm

You got it. I think I’ve got a decent grasp on what you’ll enjoy by now.” Kiyo’s brow dropped slightly as she tried to focus on picking the right place to take him. She had the inkling to take him to a specialty dumpling place she really liked, simply because the thought amused her, but that was all the way on the other side of the village. There was an izakaya nearby that had really good food but they were definitely going to be crowded and it wasn’t going to be easy to have a private conversation in a place like that. Silently, she walked the two of them through the streets as she thought, not exactly heading anywhere specific. There was a really nice sushi restaurant that she adored but she hadn’t gotten the sense that he was that excited about seafood and it was more of a group experience where they would have to sit with others. She looked over at him, wanting to ask a few more questions about what he liked, but the words quickly died before even a sound escaped her.

He looked so uncomfortable was the only thing she could think when she looked at him. It didn’t take a huge leap in logic to figure out why, now that she wasn’t so focused on finding somewhere to eat. Whether they were sideways glances and whispers or direct stares, a lot of people had eyes on them. Kiyo on her own usually attracted a fair amount of attention but that was purely from men who wanted her attention back and she had gotten used to ignoring it. But this was not the same as that. People weren’t looking at the duo because of her, but because of her companion. And she was ashamed that she hadn’t noticed earlier how much it was affecting Kota. She remembered the eyes that had been on her when they were in Iwa together, and that had only been a handful of jealous women. This was…something entirely different. In a flash, Kiyo knew exactly where she was taking Kota for dinner.

That building over there is where I went to the academy. I entered one year before my brother graduated and spent the entire time following him and his friends around,” Kiyo said out of nowhere, pointing across the street to a building that was slightly taller than the others surrounding it. She paused long enough to see if he had heard her but then continued talking again so that he didn’t feel an obligation to reply. “That convenience store is where I bought lunch almost every day. My friends and I went so often they started greeting us by name.” Kiyo grinned, remembering how the shop owners had been annoyed with them for the first few weeks of school, eventually relenting.

That building over there is where they used to send us to get scolded as genin. It’s where our academy teacher worked when he wasn’t teaching. I know that building inside and out.” Kiyo continued prattling on as they walked, pointing out different landmarks and places that held memories of her childhood. Training grounds where she had worked hard, parks where she had slacked off and hid from her father and teachers. The library where she had fallen in love with reading. The first apartment she had shared with her brother. Some of her favorite places to eat, though they walked by all of them without Kiyo giving them so much as a second glance. “And that gloriously hideous building is the Mizukage Tower. I’m sure I don’t have to explain what’s in there. I only know the basics anyway, I’ve thankfully never been invited.” The building was visible even through the fog, the many windows reflecting the small amount of sunlight that was still filtering through the fog.

She wondered if Kota had noticed that they were suddenly in a much less crowded part of the village, the only shops and stores around being small convenience stores. Briefly, Kiyo had considered that she should have asked if this was fine but had quickly dismissed the thought. He told her that she could pick and that was what she did. If he hadn’t considered it an option, that was simply an oversight on his part.

And this,” Kiyo said with an air of extravagance, motioning at the large, tall building they now stood in front of. “This is where my apartment is. I thought having something catered in sounded better than staying out tonight.” She opened the door, ushering Kota inside, following closely behind. “Since we’re already down here I’ll just leave an order with the front and they’ll take care of it from there. I’ll just be a moment.” Leaving him in the middle of the simple but pristine lobby Kiyo darted over to the front desk, a lively conversation starting up almost immediately. It was short though, Kiyo writing quickly on a piece of paper while they chatted before passing it back to the woman behind the desk.

Okay, that’s taken care of. Should be about an hour.” Kiyo pressed the button for the elevator, the doors opening nearly immediately. She pursed her lips as she hit the button for the sixth floor, leaning against the wall as the doors slid closed. She couldn’t bring herself to ask if he was okay with this, not after she had already convinced herself that it would definitely be fine. So instead, she simply found herself staring at him expectantly, waiting to see how he would react.
My CharactersShow

Kao

Post by Kao » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:24 pm

Kotaru was staring down someone with a particularly piercing gaze when Kiyo's words pulled his attention away. He followed the path of her finger, leading his gaze to a building she identified as an academy. It was so different from the ones back home, not only due to the architecture but also the size. Iwagakure's academies had less floors and were complexes of several buildings rather than just one. He wondered what kind of student Kiyo was. Based on her demeanor now, Kotaru couldn't imagine she was an overly diligent student. He definitely couldn't see her as being a kid who who only lived to study and train. She soon confirmed his suspicions by pointing out where she trained and where she lazed around.

The more the two walked with Kiyo playing tour guide, the less Kotaru noticed those around him. He was never fully relaxed and unaware of prying eyes, but the distraction certainly helped. Most of the tension eased out of his shoulders. His expression became more neutral. Kotaru focused on remembering all the places she showed him and imagining and younger, even more rambunctious version of Kiyo running around and growing up. When she told him she loved reading he tucked that particular bit of knowledge away in a special place where he could revisit it later. When the crowd thinned and the buildings became smaller and less imposing, the bannin finally felt as though he could breathe. The pressure of all the unwanted attention lifted from his shoulders and he sighed away the remainder of his unease.

When Kiyo announced they had reached her apartment Kotaru's lips briefly parted in surprise. He looked at her with gratitude welling in his eyes, and he quietly followed her into the building. Their entire journey he'd said nothing, not realizing how close he'd been to shutting down. Belatedly he realized she had picked up on that and had expertly distracted him enough to keep him from inadvertently retreating behind his mental walls. She left him standing in the lobby just long enough for him to take in the immaculate upkeep and design and then they were taking a slow ride in an elevator. He loosed another slow breath through his nose, and on the exhale gently took her hand in his.

"You didn't waste any time in showing me the tour of your childhood haunts," he said softly, trying to thread a touch of humor through his tone. He met her watchful gaze and something within him softened and warmed. Kiyo, this incredible woman, could already read him better than most. It couldn't have been a coincidence that the minute he had clammed up, she had led him to somewhere quieter and intimate. To her home. It seemed like a big step for someone like her and he didn't take it lightly. So he said honestly, "I wasn't prepared for the crowd. I've never liked crowds." Kotaru brought their entwined hands up to his face, and without looking away he pressed his lips onto the back of her hand.

The elevator stopped with a ding, though he didn't immediately move to exit. When the doors began to shut he extended his foot to keep it open, to extend their moment for just a few more seconds. He was well aware that Kiyo liked going out, and that she'd had every intention of taking him out. But she had immediately recognized something was wrong and had gone out of her way to keep him comfortable. Kotaru tried to think of what to say to express his appreciation, but his words failed him. Finally he pulled her out of the elevator and then stepped back so she could continue leading him to her home. "We can go out after we eat. I don't mind." Not entirely true, but he didn't want Kiyo to feel like he didn't want to do the things she liked. He was more than willing to step out of his comfort zone, so long as she took that step with him.
Last edited by Kao on Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Amy

Post by Amy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:24 am

Kiyo huffed lightly through her nose when he kissed the back of her hand. He had kissed many parts of her body with those lips, significantly more intimate parts of her than her hand. But for some reason, this small gesture radiated a warmth throughout her entire body. Not a fiery heat like there had been back at her work or either of the times they had fallen into bed together. This was something comforting. Something…soft and gentle. Kiyo huffed again as he pulled her out of the elevator, no closer to being able to name the feeling that had flooded through her. Or the reason why that spot on the back of her hand still felt like it was tingling. Luckily, she had other things she could focus on like leading Kota by the hand to her front door. She dug around in her bag with her one free hand, not feeling inclined to let go of him.

We can decide later. It’ll be crowded like that all evening so if we go out it would be best to wait until late.” She never made it a secret that she enjoyed going out, but it wasn’t the same crutch for her that it had been in the past. Staying in, even alone, didn’t give her the same empty, bottomless pit feeling that it always gave her in the past. And this time, she wasn’t alone. “This may come as a surprise,” she said, a triumphant tone raising the infliction of her words as she pulled her keys out from the bottom of her bag. “But I’m very social so I have friends who also like going out. I wanted to spend the evening with you. Out or in doesn’t really make much of a difference to me past that.” Kiyo pushed open the door, walking inside with Kota.

For just a moment, Kiyo stopped in the threshold of her own home and wondered what it looked like to him, to someone who had never seen it before. To someone who had only known her a short time. She supposed the color was the first thing you would notice. All of the walls were a light blue-gray color that she had thought complimented the lighter colored floor well when she moved in. The entry was pretty plain, just a rack for her shoes and a place to hang her bags and jackets which is where she gestured for Kota to hang his own. To the right was the dining area, a large round table covered in so many papers, unopened mail, and books that it was clear she didn’t eat there often. Behind the dining area was the kitchen which was considerably more clean than her table. The white cabinets and nearly black countertops were all spotless, the dishes in the sink clean and only a few dirty ones scattered about.

To the left of the entry was her living room. There was a large gray couch in the center of the room with a single lounge chair to the side of it, both facing the tv against the far wall. A large ornate rug sat under the couch, chair, and coffee table. The most notable part of the living room was what was against the wall directly to their left walking in. A long, slim table ran the length of the wall and it, along with the wall, were covered in pictures. The closest pictures to where they stood were of Kiyo from a young age and the further into the room you went the older she got. Most of the ones on the table were from her adult years. Taken at various events, parties, and promotions. She saw those pictures every day but it had been a long time since she really looked at them.

Make yourself at home. Since we ended up here I’m going to change out of my work clothes real quick,” Kiyo said to Kota, gesturing from one end of the place to the other. Her bedroom was just past the living room, the door visible from where they were standing. She didn’t bother to shut it as she stepped into her closet and peeled off her work clothes, tossing them to the side. Really, she had wanted to change, but she also needed a moment. She didn’t regret bringing him there, especially not when she saw how grateful he was. But it was hitting her that since moving in, she had never invited a man over for anything other than casual sex. Well, casual sex or a party or get together. But never a date. It felt important, but she didn’t know why. They had already been on a date. Just, not at either one of their houses. Slipping her dress on, Kiyo shook her head at herself. She was happy he was there and that was all that mattered. Not everything she felt needed a name or a reason for feeling it.

When she walked back out into the living room, she was wearing a white dress with thin straps and small, pink flowers on it. It was tight around her bust and waist before becoming loose and flowy down to her mid thigh. She glanced over at Kota to make sure he was doing alright before she walked into the kitchen. “Do you want something to drink?” She bent over so that she could look through the top shelf of her fridge, shoving aside the various bottles of alcohol that littered the shelf.

I have some melon sodas and a few milk teas. I could make a pot of hot tea if you’d like, I think I have green and cherry blossom? Uhhh…” Kiyo was silent for a moment, the sound of cans being shuffled around the only noise coming from the kitchen. “Oh, and last time he was here my brother brought me these yogurt drinks. Something about how I don’t take care of myself and they would be good for me.” She stood and turned to look at Kota, glad that the kitchen was not cut off from the rest of the place so she could watch him simply exist in her home.

I have a bunch of alcohol too but you don’t drink, do you? I seem to recall an energetic hostess mentioning, loudly, that you don’t enjoy it.” Kiyo grinned as she held up a melon soda in one hand and a milk tea in the other. “If nothing else, there’s always water.
My CharactersShow

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:03 am

Kotaru wasn’t sure what he expected. He half thought Kiyo’s home would be dripping in flashy luxury given her successful business. Another part of him thought it might be more of a mess since she was an incredibly busy businesswoman and loved to party and probably didn't have time to keep house. It was neither, instead somewhere in the middle. Tastefully decorated with subtle hints that the contents of her apartment were very, very expensive. The signs of how hectic her life could be was confined to the dining room table and the three or four dirty dishes that she hadn't gotten around to cleaning yet. Kotaru deposited his shoes and coat at the entryway then headed inside, turning his head every which way to fully take in the place Kiyo called home.

The living room was particularly cozy. Kotaru knew high quality when he saw it, and when he dragged his fingers along the fabric of her couch and felt the plush, exquisitely made rug beneath his feet it only confirmed what he saw, what he already knew just from a few meetings with her. Kiyo wasn’t a woman who needed a man to spoil her. But he’d probably do it anyway.

He made his way over to the table full of pictures and hummed when she announced she needed to change. "Take your time." He truly meant it because he'd need plenty of time to peruse through such a large collection of photos. Starting at the end where her baby pictures were, Kotaru bent down and looked at each frame. They chronicled her life, her growth. A few of the pictures on the table interested him enough that he picked up them up and studied them. She'd been a cute kid for sure. She had enough pictures of herself with friends at parties and events that he knew that it was a stroke of luck that they'd met at all. He would never have been at those kinds of scenes no matter which village he was in, and it was obvious that Kiyo wasn't exactly a solider. Not in the same way he was. If they had been from the same village, he thought, they likely would have never crossed paths. Kiyo's lifestyle and background was so different than his own. His eyes lingered a bit longer on the family photos, noting the obvious love between Kiyo and her parents and brother.

The bannin was shifted his attention to the pictures that documented her late teens. They definitely would not have been interested in each other if they had met then. At this point in her life there were pictures of her and...someone. It wasn't her brother, and there were photos of just him, of him with Kiyo, and he was in many of the group pictures. And then he wasn't. Kotaru's eyes went back and forth between several pictures before and after the guy disappeared, focusing on Kiyo's expression. The light in her eyes when she was with him was extinguished in the photos without him. Her smile more subdued in his absence. Kotaru's shoulders stiffened when he recognized that look.

Kiyo announced her return by listing off drink options, and Kotaru paused for a few seconds to consider. "Milk tea sounds good. And I'll take a yogurt drink if it's plain or strawberry." He turned around, lips turning downward in a slight frown when she mentioned the hostess. Then he stopped, his breath hitching at her choice in dresses. White and flowy and pretty. The man's eyes swept her body up and down and he belatedly noticed the tiny pink flowers scattered across the fabric. Kotaru wasn't sure why the sight had taken him aback so much, so he shook his head and blinked a few times before continuing. "Alcohol is disgusting. Plus I don't like the way it makes me feel - dizzy and unstable. I think I've had alcohol exactly twice my entire life. The first time was when me, Tatsuo, and our friend Mitsuo got into an alcohol cabinet." He didn't mention the other person who had been present. "I turned into a bumbling idiot, passed out, and then I puked a few hours later. Never again."

He walked toward her, holding a couple pictures in his hand. One was of her and a couple others, clearly drunk and having a great time at some event. He set it down on the counter, turning it so she could see it. "If you hadn't nearly taken out my foot with that glass I don't think we'd have ever met."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Amy

Post by Amy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:15 pm

Kiyo laughed as she shut the fridge and turned back to Kota, setting their drinks on the counter. “I think that about sums up most people’s first experience drinking. Overdo it, get messy, puke. My first time was with my two best friends at one of their houses. I don’t even remember why we thought it was a good idea but I do remember that she puked on her parent’s very expensive, very white couch.” She remembered the day like it was yesterday. “When we wouldn’t tell them which one of us did it, they made all of us pay to have it cleaned. They ended up getting rid of it after three failed attempts to get the stain out completely.” Kiyo shook her head ruefully. At the time, the girls had all been mortified but she could look back on the memory fondly now. That event had really sealed their friendship, no matter what had happened since then they had always had each other’s backs. And to that day, none of them had ever confessed to who had ruined the couch.

She studied the picture that Kota had put down on the counter in front of her while she thought about what he said. He certainly wasn’t wrong. Not only were they from different villages but their lives should never have intersected based on their career paths. Maybe if she had continued down the life of a ninja the chances would have been higher but it was still incredibly unlikely. Even with them having been in the same restaurant at the same time, they should have passed by each other without ever speaking a word. It was one moment of dumb luck that had caused their paths to cross. Kiyo smiled, grabbing the picture off the counter and turned around so she could lean against it. “I don’t think so either,” she finally said. “I never thought I would owe so much thanks to a random moment of clumsiness and a whole lot of paperwork I didn’t want to be dealing with.” If those people had done their jobs right, she wouldn’t have ever been sitting at that table in the first place.

These are the friends I was talking about. The one with the light hair is Izumi and the one with short dark hair is Momo. This was taken at Momo’s nineteenth birthday party.” It seemed like so long ago even though it had really only been a few years. She was glad he hadn’t grabbed one of the earlier ones with a group of four in it, rather than three. It would come up eventually, she knew, but she didn’t think she was ready to talk about that. She set the picture back down on the counter, motioning for him to hand her the other pictures he had brought over. The first one made her smile.

This is from my first day at the academy.” Her hair had been short then but her energy was the same then as it was now. A wide smile split her face, excitement shining in her eyes. She was standing on her toes in the picture, and Kiyo was pretty sure it was because she was jumping up and down while trying to have her picture taken. “I’m pretty sure that was the only time I was that excited to go to school. I graduated easily enough but it definitely lost its appeal quickly.” She had been a decent enough student but it had been her first real introduction to the way that Kiri worked and even at a young age it had left a sour taste in her mouth. She set that one on the counter with the other and took the last picture that Kota had brought over. It was one of the more recent pictures of her.

And this one, is from the day I got my keys to this place.” She was standing in front of the building, wearing a simple blue dress. She was making an exasperated face at her brother, half-heartedly holding the keys up. “My brother was helping me move in and he insisted that I let him take a picture outside before coming up. I didn’t understand at the time why he was so insistent on it. He had already moved out of the place we shared years before this so it’s not like I was going to be on my own for the first time.

But now, looking closely at the picture after having just looked at the one from the birthday, Kiyo could see what her brother must have seen. How even though she was rolling them, her smile had finally started reaching her eyes again. Moving out of her first apartment had been a big deal for her, and a long time coming. There were a lot of memories that she had left behind, both good and bad.

What were you like when you were younger?” Kiyo set the third picture down and took a long drink from her glass. She couldn’t remember the last time she had talked so much about her past. Everyone who was close to her had known her for most of her life and her past was also their past. Those who weren't a part of her past, she usually didn't care to tell them about it. It wasn't the case with Kota though. She felt like she could spend all night telling him about her past. For some reason, she got the feeling he wouldn't get bored no matter how many stories she told him.
My CharactersShow

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:49 pm

Kotaru looked between the three photos, a faint smile tugging at his lips. If these photos were any indication, it seemed Kiyo had grown up well, always surrounded by people who loved her. He couldn't help but stare at them, and he realized a grain of envy had settled within him and threatened to take root. There weren't many photos of Kotaru's early childhood. He suspected that now there weren't any at all. Even if there were, there wouldn't have been any hint of happiness and love that filled Kiyo's photo collection. Had there been a picture of Kotaru from his first day at the academy, it would have revealed just how much he dreaded to attend. It hadn't been nearly as bad as he had feared, but he only came to that conclusion after several months of being a student.

He looked up at Kiyo and blinked, reaching for the milk tea as he mulled over her question. No one had ever asked him that before. Most people he came across had no chance to talk to him casually enough to ask such a thing. "Hideo hinted at it," he began, shaking the tea for a moment before poking the pointed straw through the plastic seal. "I was always at least a little bit angry for one reason or another. I didn't like working with people outside of my very first team, but that came with the territory since I went from genin to jounin in under a year."

HIs smile faltered, and his gaze lowered to the pristine counter. "I hated people and I was always small for my age, so I didn't have many friends before joining my first team as a genin with Tats and Mits. Mitsuo was my first friend, and he introduced me to Tatsuo. We were inseparable." The bannin paused for a very long time, and he filled the silence by taking a long sip of his drink. He didn't like to think about his life before that time, but the words just flowed with Kiyo. Eventually he said, "Tatsuo... he's not my actual brother. Most people don't know that, and we don't correct them. His family adopted me when I was twelve."

"When I was younger," he nearly whispered the last word, "I had an older brother I was related to by blood. We didn't get along. He was a showoff and the favorite and he thought he was better than me. I suppose he technically was, by the clan's standards. Our -" he stopped suddenly, practically choking on the next word. He didn't like to remember his brother, but he hated to acknowledge those two people who had refused to raise him, to love him. He shook his head as if the movement physically removed them from his mind. "He was a showoff and couldn't back it up when it mattered, and it got him killed. I was eight, freshly enrolled in the academy, and I saw it happen. I was already practically raising myself and after that I was definitely raising myself. I was scrawny and terrified and made sure I didn't stand out. I worked hard, was obsessed with training so I could protect myself, and I hid my growth and strength until I couldn't anymore."

Kotaru sighed forcefully, as if talking about it was an effort. Truthfully, it was. But he managed to stay present, and when he looked up and met Kiyo's gaze the faint smile returned, though this time it contained the slightest hint of an apologetic tinge. "Not too many happy memories on my end, I'm afraid."
Last edited by Kao on Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Amy

Post by Amy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:01 pm

As Kota spoke, Kiyo only listened and nodded occasionally in encouragement for him to continue. The longer he talked the harder it seemed to become for him so she was careful to not interrupt or interject even as she tried to sort and file away the information he so graciously offered her. Listening to him talk only made it more apparent how different their lives had been growing up. The hardest thing that Kiyo had been forced to endure as a child was navigating the social system of the village she was born into. Sure, she had her own issues, but they were…common. Boring. Arguing with her mother over what she wore and how late she stayed out. Her father criticized her every move and every decision especially when it came to her career. They had been disappointed in her often.

But they had still always been there for her.

Though she had obviously never met these friends he spoke of, his brother the Tsuchikage and Mitsuo, she was grateful to them. With the way Kota spoke about the rest of his life, she knew instinctively that they had played a big part in Kota becoming who he was today. The somewhat moody, often quiet, glowering man that now stood in her kitchen, sipping on a milk tea. How many people and random events did they have to thank for leading them to this moment? A broken glass, an adoptive family, a change in careers. Hundreds or thousands of things that all had to happen at the perfect time to bring them together.

The air in the kitchen suddenly felt heavy. She didn’t know how long it had been since he stopped talking because all she could think about was how badly she wanted him to understand how she felt about what he told her. How grateful she was that he was being open with her, despite how unpleasant it must be for him. Her hands practically twitched with the desire to grab him and pull him against her so instead she grasped the counter behind her and jumped up to sit on it, kicking her feet back and forth slightly, sliding close enough to where Kota stood so that her leg pressed against his hip.

I don’t think they’re all bad, just because they’re not happy,” she said quietly. “You were dealt a really shitty hand in life. But look at what you did with it. You worked so hard and I know that that came with sacrifices. You made friends and you worked hard to keep them too, and now you get to call them your family. I think having people who choose to call you family is much more remarkable than those who call you that just because you share blood.

Kiyo swallowed heavily, struggling with the intensity of the feelings that were coursing through her. She leaned slightly to the side so that she could reach out with her other hand, her fingers lighting gently on his face. She brushed his hair off of his forehead before brushing against his cheekbone.

I’m sorry about your brother. And I’m sorry that you don’t have many happy memories.” Kiyo didn’t realize that she was practically whispering now. “But I’m happy that you met your friends. And found yourself people who choose to call you family.” She smiled at him, her hand dropping from his face onto his arm. Her voice was brighter now. “And besides, it’s never too late to start making happy memories. In fact, some of my new favorite happy memories have happened in the last…” Kiyo put on a very concentrated face as she picked up both of her hands and began counting on them.

Oh, I guess in the last ten or twelve weeks, give or take.” Since she had met him. Her life had been fine before they met and she had been happy enough. Despite her complaints, she enjoyed her work. She loved traveling. She saw her friends often and her relationship with her family had only been improving. But none of that could possibly compare to how happy she had been since meeting Kota. The unadulterated joy she had felt that morning, finding out that he was visiting, was proof of it. Even if she wanted to, she wouldn’t be able to ignore any longer just how much she liked Lord Akari Kotaru.

So far, I think today’s going to make a pretty happy memory too.
My CharactersShow

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:59 pm

The moment her leg pressed against him, any tension that had gathered when he told part of his story flowed out of him. Kotaru didn't bother to counter her claim, that not all the memories were bad. She didn't know half of the things he had endured, and he wasn't sure he would ever subject her to the knowledge in full. Kiyo's more optimistic view of the things he had revealed sounded so sweet that he couldn't bear to dim that light she shed on is experiences. Instead he embraced it, and he tried to pick out the few happy memories he had. The day Tatsuo's parents asked him to be their son stuck out. Even though he had clammed up and hadn't been able to express himself, and even though he didn't exactly make it easy for them and even Tatsuo to raise him, it was the first time he'd felt wanted by someone other than his friends. There was the first time Hideo had invited him out after Kotaru had saved his ass in a near disastrous mission. Hideo had practically dragged the then-teenager out of his house where he had been brooding. There were indeed some nice memories scattered throughout his life, if he took the time to filter through it all.

Kotaru leaned into her touch, savoring the feel of her hand against his cheek and he nearly let his eyes flutter shut. The sensation of her touch spread from his cheek and settled in his chest, filling him with a burst of warmth and comfort so strong that he nearly shuddered. Any time she touched him his body reacted, but this was different. By the time she finished counting on her fingers he had done some counting of his own, and he realized that they hadn't shared very many gentle, tender touches. It occured to him that he wanted to fix that, wanted to run his fingers up and down her arms in a way that didn't immediately draw feelings of lust. But he didn't. Instead Kotaru moved in front of her and he placed his hands flat against the counter on either side of her thighs. "Has it really only been that long?" Another quick mental count confirmed it. "I feel like I've known you a lot longer."

His eyes drifted to her lips, pink and plush and perfect. He thought of how it would feel to press his lips against hers, and how it was something they hadn't yet shared. He had been avoiding it until now, afraid of that kind of intimacy. It seemed silly considering the other places his mouth had been, but Kotaru had pointedly avoided kissing Kiyo. It was something he didn't do with his flings. He had to be careful with who he kissed. Kissing was special. It could change relationships by building them or destroying them. His very first kiss had taught him that, and it was a lesson he had never forgotten.

But Kiyo wasn't a fling. Too many emotions swirled within him for Kotaru to still consider her a fling. Kiyo made him happier than he had ever been, than he ever thought he deserved. And he had only known her for a handful of weeks. It scared the hell out of him how strong and pure the joy was that he felt whenever he even thought about her. Part of him wondered how long the feeling would last and when it would end. A bigger part of him hoped it never would.

"You don't have to apologize for any of that, Kiyo." He raised his hands from the counter and placed them on her thighs, slipping his fingertips under the hem of her dress so he could feel the warmth of her skin. His words caught in his throat for a moment, but as he looked into her eyes he found the courage to swallow the lump in his throat and give a voice to what he felt. "Today is already a happy memory because I get to see you again. Letters are fine but...any time I'm with you or even think about you it's the happiest I've been in a long time. And I think I'd do anything to keep it that way. I can't think of anything that would make me happier than to keep making memories with you." He swallowed, heart pounding away in his chest. Nervousness numbed his legs as he wondered if it was too soon to be so honest. So he cleared his throat and gave her a small smile. "If you're open to that kind of thing."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Amy

Post by Amy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:00 pm

When he stepped closer, his hands on either side of her Kiyo found she had a hard time breathing. Especially when she realized that she was staring at her mouth. She had become hyper aware of the fact that they hadn’t kissed. Not hello, not goodbye, not while tangled in bed together. But she wanted to. She wished he would now, that he would just lean forward just a little bit more and do it. But he didn’t do tha. Instead, he placed his hands on her thighs.

And everything just felt right. She knew that she would remember this exact moment forever. Sitting on the counter in her own kitchen with Kota standing in front of her. His hands settled on her thighs like they belonged there. She wouldn’t change anything about the moment, not as he spoke the most beautiful words to her. They wrapped around her heart and settled deep in her veins.

I am,” she said. “Open to it, I mean.” Kiyo smiled too, wide, like in the photo that sat behind them. She placed her hands on top of Kota’s, squeezing them gently. “Don’t get things mixed up though. You don’t have to…do anything, to keep things going this way. I want to be around you. I want to be with you in Iwa. And I really like you being here.

She sighed, the sound full of joy. “I want to make a lot more memories with you too.” She hadn’t realized that she had scooted forward while she spoke, making sure that Kota didn’t have any misconceptions about what was happening between them. She didn’t want him to think for one second that this was a one sided thing. But now, a breaths away from him, she couldn’t help but notice it. And for a brief second, she committed to closing that distance between them. To finally feel his lips against her own. But she only moved the smallest fraction of an inch when the doorbell rang.

Kiyo visibly deflated, her eyes rolling back in her head. She shook her head, gripping Kota’s hands tighter before moving them off of her thighs. “We have got to stop ordering food,” she groaned, slipping off of the counter and fluffing her dress around her thighs to straighten it. “We can eat on the couch. I was going to clean the table off but someone distracted me.

She threw him a glance over her shoulder, a pleasant grin still sitting on her face. She opened the door, greeting the delivery man with a pleasant but sterile tone. The payment would be taken care of at the end of the month so all she had to do was sign for it and accept the large parcel he had brought her. This was the first time she had ever been annoyed to get her food delivered early.

Kiyo set the large box next to the coffee table and squatted down next to it, pulling out container after container and slid them around on the table. “We seem to like having a lot of variety so I just ordered a bunch of stuff again. Noodles, rice, fried meat, the works. Oh, she also makes fantastic steamed buns so I got some of those too. And since it’s become a tradition-” Kiyo laughed as she pulled one last container out, setting it directly in front of Kota.

It wouldn’t be a date without some dumplings.

Kiyo grabbed the box and tossed it into the entry-way before slipping back into the kitchen to grab them each a fresh drink along with some plates and chopsticks. It didn’t take long, just long enough for her to widen her eyes at herself for calling it a date. Like, of course it was she told herself. But had either of them called what they were doing dating yet?? She didn’t think so, she couldn’t remember either of them having said it. Oh well, she thought as she sat on the sofa next to Kota, it had been said now.

I’m glad we stayed in,” she said matter-of-factly after loading some food on her plate and settling back into the corner of the couch so she could look at Kota while she ate. She hadn’t been particularly worried about it before, but sitting there with him, she couldn’t imagine being out, surrounded by people. “Usually when I stay in I’m alone so it’s just fine, you know. Don’t get me wrong,” she laughed, covering her mouth as she chewed and swallowed. “I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of going out. But this certainly makes me think I could get used to staying in more often.

She shrugged easily, her eyes bright. “As long as you’re with me, I mean.
My CharactersShow

Kao

Post by Kao » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:58 pm

His lips parted in surprise and delight when she mentioned being with him in Iwa. Kotaru immediately ran with the idea, elated that his previous fantasies of her being around in his village more would soon be reality. He also wanted desperately to close the distance between them and finally kiss her and learn what that was like with her, but they were foiled by the arrival of their food. The man groaned dramatically, tossing his head back as Kiyo moved his hands from her thighs and then slid off the counter. What she said next made him snort. "You call that a distraction? That was more of a lovely heart-to-heart, Kiyo. I'll give you a real distraction later."

Kotaru made his way to the couch, unsure if they should actually eat there given how expensive her furniture was. But she didn't seem to care, and the aroma of the food was enticing enough that he decided to follow her suggestion. If she wasn’t worried then neither was he. It was such a small thing, but it felt nice to trust someone enough to take their words at face value without second guessing. He took the plate from her and immediately piled it with food, though he also took the time to lean over and add some additional morsels to Kiyo’s plate to fill the empty spaces.

”Of course I’ll be with you. After all we’re dating as you helpfully pointed out. And I’ll go out with you, but you’ll have to forgive me if I hang back and let you party with your friends at the…wilder and louder places.” Kotaru took a moment to sample the noodles and meat, and he wiggled his shoulders - actually wiggled - at both the explosion of flavors in his mouth and the pleasant warmth still filling his chest. The two put a name to what they were doing, and they’d said some of how they felt. It was a monumental step. “If you’re serious about staying in Iwa more, we could shop for an apartment or a little house for you. Hotels are convenient and all but,” he paused and looked toward the ceiling, trying to find the right way to word it, “it’s always nice to have your own space where you’re less likely to be interrupted.”
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Amy

Post by Amy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:23 pm

Koyo glanced from her plate back to Kota, watching as he added more food to her plate. It was such a small, simple act but it showed a certain type of thoughtfulness. She smiled, shaking her head slightly while she listened to him talk and enjoy his own food. The chef had not disappointed and it was clear that Kota agreed as he visibly enjoyed himself. It pleased her greatly.

You don’t have to worry about that. Well,” Kiyo ate between speaking, her chopsticks waving slightly in the air as she chewed. “It might still seem wild and loud to you but I don’t party like I was in that picture much anymore. Izumi, Momo, and I might go to a club every once in a while but mostly we stick to regular bars now.” Once she started working for her dad and moved into her new apartment, she had kept up with that part of her life for a while. But slowly, things had changed for her.

She nearly choked on her food at his next words. He certainly wasn’t wrong but of all the things she would have expected him to say that was nowhere on the list. It seemed that he also wanted to make sure there was no confusion about how much he wanted to spend time with her and she appreciated that. She had heard her friends complain often enough about trying to navigate subtext and hints and Kiyo wasn’t interested in that type of thing.

It’s a good idea. I already made it clear to my father that I’m interested in taking a more permanent role in the trade route with Iwa. It would enable me to be able to stay for weeks at a time.” What she didn’t share, for now, was that she had asked her father about the possibility after their first meeting. Just in case, she had told herself at the time. “And you’re right. Getting interupted is getting pretty exhausting.

Dating. The word still swirled around in her head, her feet kicking back and forth slightly every time it did. There were so many more things to discuss, she supposed, as she sat up and slid her now empty plate on the table. So many things to figure out. But none of that seemed pressing, at the moment. When she sat back against the couch cushions, shoulder to shoulder with Kota, she sighed happily. And for no reason, other than that she wanted to, she let her head fall to the side, resting against his shoulder.

Thank you for coming. It means a lot to me.” She spoke quietly, her hands tucked underneath her thighs. She tilted her chin, angling her face towards Kota’s. There were so many things that she wanted to tell him. So much that she wanted him to know. But she didn’t know how to put it all into words right then and there and it seemed like they would have plenty of time for all of that. So she just kept looking up at him, a smile playing across her lips. Without planning to, she opened her mouth once more, the words slipping out before she could stop them.

I’m really happy you’re here.
My CharactersShow

Kao

Post by Kao » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:47 am

He watched her as she processed his words, his offer to make her stay in Iwagakure more comfortable. Like a home away from home. When she admitted she was already intrested in being in the village more he cocked his head to the side despite himself. Kotaru almost couldn't believe it could be this easy, that he didn't have to bargain or make deals and concessions just to get someone to want to be near him. He looked at her for a long moment as if he couldn't believe someone like her existed. Kotaru already had a few places for her in mind, all of them only a few minutes walk from his homes. Plural, because he had recently purchased a second home in the Underground near the lake, isolated and private with a few similar houses nearby. For no particular reason other than he hoped she would like it. He had hoped he could show her the new house nestled near the sparkling waterfront. He hoped she would like it there, hoped it could encourage her to visit him often. Kotaru had already hoped for so much with Kiyo without realizing it.

He stuffed more food in his mouth, thinking it would maybe help him swallow the growing lump in his throat. It was one made of joy and relief, and in that moment he wasn't sure how to express it. So he kept eating, hardly taking his eyes off of her. He noticed every time she kicked her feet, and he wondered what exactly was going through her head to elicit such a cute reaction. Kotaru finished his food not long after Kiyo and he stacked his plate neatly on top of hers, and then she settled next to him so easily that it was like she belonged there. He closed his eyes for a few moments, for once allowing himself to feel every emotion churning within him. It was pleasant.

The bannin opened his eyes after she thanked him and he had intended to say there was never any need for her to thank him for showing up. But the words fell away when his gaze met hers, her vibrant green eyes looking so endearingly into his own. He would frame this moment if he could and set the picture proudly in her collection, and its twin would naturally be placed in his own home, somewhere where he could see it often. Kotaru committed every detail of this moment to memory. The soft evening lighting. The comfortable cushioning of the couch. The lingering aroma of their meal. And most importantly, her. Kiyo, in all her beauty and sincerity. He would always remember her in this moment, and the way his heart danced in his chest with realization when she told him in no uncertain words that she was glad to be with him.

Kotaru turned to face her. He slowly, deliberately brought a hand to her cheek and ran his thumb gently across her skin. "I'm happy too, Kiyo." Those words were too simple to encapsulate everything he felt. He was sure there were words somewhere out there, but he didn't need them here.

He closed the distance between them and finally, finally pressed his lips against hers. He put everything he felt into that kiss. There was a hint of nervousness at first, and it revealed the vulnerability he always shied away from showing to anyone. He laid himself bare in a way that was a thousand times more intimate than the nights they'd shared in bed. Then came the rest. Gratitude, joy, relief, excitement, tenderness. All of it flowed out of him at once. Another feeling, so strong that it almost overwhelmed him, exploded from his chest and surged all the way to his fingertips.

Peace.

He finally found it. For perhaps the first time in his tumultuous life he felt peace, and he had found it here with Kiyo. In that instant, he wanted nothing more than for the feeling to never end.
Last edited by Kao on Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Amy

Post by Amy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:18 am

When he turned to face her fully, Kiyo could feel her heart start to beat faster. She leaned into the feel of his hand against her face, the gentleness of his touch. From the first time, she had been addicted to the way she felt when he touched her. Her slow, deep breaths hitched in her chest when he spoke, reassuring her that he felt the same way that she did. And she didn’t doubt him, not even for a single second. It was dramatic, she knew, but she had never expected to feel this way again. She had thought that her first love would also be the last.

But when Kota finally pressed his lips against her own, she knew that she had been so wrong. The possibility of love was still there, waiting for her, and she didn’t run from it. She leaned into Kota, sighing against his mouth, accepting every emotion she could feel him offering her. She took them all and wrapped them up in her heart so that she could forever protect and cherish them. And in return, for him and him only, she didn’t hold back either.

Everything that she had been feeling the past few weeks, everything she had been trying to ignore and rationalize, she let him feel it all. The anticipation, the happiness, the hope, the desire, she wanted him to feel it all. She wanted him to realize that she wasn’t afraid anymore, of what this was between them, of what it could turn into. She wasn’t afraid of what they might become. Now anymore, not if they were going to go through it together. Hand in hand. If they were together, she wouldn’t need to be afraid.

Eventually, Kiyo pulled back slightly, each breath from her mouth a small, quiet pant. She pressed her forehead against his while she pulled her foot on the couch, pushing herself up so that she could settle herself across his lap. She rested her feet on the couch, her arms sliding around his neck. And without waiting, she kissed him again. If they stayed there all night, she would be satisfied.

But first, she pulled back once more, just enough so that she could talk. So that she could say the one thing that she knew she couldn’t possibly convey with her lips alone. It was the feeling that she had gotten that first time she looked up at him, and saw him gazing down at her. As though he had been surprised to see her. Time and time again, the feeling had crept around her heart, and it had scared her. But not now, not anymore. So she held him softly and looked at him even softer.

I didn’t know it, but I think I’ve been waiting for you for a long time, Kota.

And then she kissed him again.
My CharactersShow

Return to “Kirigakure no Sato”