[Graded]A Growing Appetite

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Thu May 24, 2018 5:43 pm

Vale always wondered how outsiders saw the Akari. Actually, he wondered how much they really knew about the clan. Did they know that your position within it was determined by how many of your kin you'd devoured. Did they realize nearly all of them had done it, and the ones the didn't died? And if they didn't know, he wondered how they would react if it were ever revealed. Would the people revolt, fearful of a clan of cannibals who only grow in power the more they kill and eat? Would they call for a purge of them, for their bloodline to be wiped out entirely?

These weren't the kind of thoughts a 13 year old should be having, but Vale had known for a couple of years that he wasn't going to be an average kid. As a Akari he'd have to move at a faster pace than other children, if he wanted to stay alive. All it'd take was for one of his kin to notice a slip in his training, a hesitation in his action, and he'd end up challenged to the arena. And the result of that would be set in stone.

He bit into a green apple he'd picked from his family's tree. Their compound included a little court yard, where an apple tree was tended to by their attendants and slaves. It was a bit sour, but it didn't bother him. He preferred it that way. Vale would watch as people walked by, continuing to munch on his apple. He recognized quite a few of him; he was in the part of Iwa where most of the Akari's family compounds were located. It was basically their own little community.

He give a polite little greeting whenever a someone close to his family walked by, but didn't do much else. In truth, he'd rather spend as little time with his clan as possible. The only reason he was out here now was that his father had scolded him on his coldness towards the rest of their "family". It wasn't good, especially now because of their raised status due to Memi.

So here is where he found himself, making an attempt to be more "social". It was more uncomfortable than he thought.
KirigakureOho TetsuJounin A-Rank Missing Ninja
IwagakureAkari Vale • Genin
IwagakureWu Sun • Chuunin
KonohagakureNara Shikado • Chuunin

Kao

Post by Kao » Thu May 24, 2018 8:58 pm

It felt strange to walk through the Akari compound in broad daylight. Normally Kotaru did his absolute best to stick to the alleys and the shadows, but ever since he had emerged victorious from the Akari Arena it was almost impossible to get a moment alone. Before that day hardly anyone even knew he existed; but now the clan was interested in him. Kotaru was merely a child, and yet he had not only managed to rank up from genin to jounin in almost exactly a year, but he'd also gained several shiin along the way, most notably derghoshiin and lacrishiin. No one had even known he had acquired a temershiin and eroshiin beforehand. Even now he evaded the question - which some probably found suspicious - but in truth he just didn't want to talk about it. It wasn't exactly a fond memory.

The child jounin walked through the compound with a crumpled letter in hand. It was the seventh or eighth notice of its kind, one that urged him to meet with the clan leaders sooner rather than later. He'd ignored them at first, but once Kakuto - his adoptive father - had seen it he knew the jig was up. Like it or not, Kotaru had to take his new place in the clan, his new status as a derghoshiin wielder. And boy, did he hate it. He hated the looks he got; before his fellow clan would look at him with vague interest if they noticed him at all, but now it had changed to ravenous hunger. Hunger and genuine curiosity. No matter how strong he got, he still hated the attention.

Kotaru was deep in his thoughts when someone bumped into him. Hard. The boy sighed and looked up to see a towering, grinning Akari in front of him. "Yo! It's the one and only Kotaru!" The boy stifled a growl. Now strangers knew him by name. Perfect. The man wasn't alone either. There were two girls behind him, looking at him curiously. Even better, when Kotaru glanced to his left he noticed someone else sitting on a nearby bench: another young Akari eating an apple. It was practically a family affair.

"Do you have business with me?" he droned, glancing between the members of the small crowd and ultimately settling his gaze on the boy sitting a few feet away. "I'm kinda busy, and I haven't eaten today. I'm sure you know what happens when I get hungry."
Kao's CharactersShow
Akari KotaruBanninIwagakure no Sato Team 18 Jousai [color=#1fb8a3]
Komiya ShizuoJounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#209DD3]
Yanagida Yukino Special Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#a07ac2]
Ishiwara SetsunaChuunin Iwagakure no Sato[color=#E81D1D]
Enkouten Mai Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#CE5412]
Aisu Namie Chuunin Kirigakure no Sato [color=#5bc2d4]
Awai FusaeA-Rank MNKonohagakure no Sato[color=#D95FEA]
Important NPCsShow
Akari Kanehara Akari clan elder [color=#80A0FF]
Sakata KannaIwagakure Councilwoman [color=#3DA43B]
Hazuki Shuran Jinchuuriki researcher [color=#E854C0]
Enkouten Kaizen Iwagakure councilman, clan leader [color=#C65871]
Rock Country Daimyo [color=#AC4A4A]

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Thu May 24, 2018 9:37 pm

By now, Vale was halfway done with his apple. His thoughts now drifted towards what he had planned for later on in the day. He had training with his father, mostly consisting of becoming proficient with his phasmashiin. Though he valued the time he got to spend with him, he always left with a sore arm and one or two bruises. Then, after that, he had studies in proper etiquette and manners. These were... less than enjoyable, seeing as she had made them impossibly dull. Finally, it was family dinner. They were nice, plus he got the chance to talk with his sister. He liked to know what she did during her day.

"Yo! It's the one and only Kotaru!" His attention was pulled from his thoughts to the street in front of him, to the small commotion that was being caused. On one side, was fairly large boy, an Akari by the symbol on his sleeve, flanked by two girls. Opposite, was another boy, similar in size to himself. Kotaru.... he recalled the name. Some kind of prodigy, not just in the clan, but the whole village. Practically skimmed through the ranks, from Genin, to Jounin, in a year. And.... he had the shiin to prove it, if rumors were to be believed.

What was this about then? We're they about to fight? "Do you have business with me?" Apparently. Maybe the bigger one wanted to impress the girls. If so, he'd couldn't have chosen a worse target. He caught the stare of Kotaru, and returned it, taking another bite of his apple as he did. "I'm kinda busy, and I haven't eaten today. I'm sure you know what happens when I get hungry." So, he was that type of Akari. Threatening to eat another one of their kin at the slightest provocation. He barely covered a scowl at Kotaru's remark.

He shrugged, not having much investment in the two boy's confrontation.

Kao

Post by Kao » Thu May 24, 2018 11:22 pm

"Whoa whoa, no need to get all testy. You were- you were joking right? We don't mean any harm. We've just never seen you in the flesh before." Kotaru slowly blinked in response. He wasn't used to being randomly approached by Akari, especially in a non-confrontational manner. In fact, these three were admiring him. It made his flesh crawl. The boy gave a heavy stare - a glare, even - and it was enough to make the other Akari uncomfortable. "Right, well. We were just wondering if you took students but-"

"I don't. Too busy. You understand, yeah?" The trio's expressions fell simultaneously, and the sight made Kotaru sigh. He had to remember his station and influence, as Kakuto would say, and that meant he would have to attempt to be nicer. Easier said than done. "I don't take students but I could evaluate you. When I have time." That seemed to cheer them up considerably; the three Akari thanked him and even bowed and then scurried off, and Kotaru let out a long sigh.

To his surprise, the boy seated on the bench remained where he was. At first glance he looked about the same age as Kotaru and the other Akari that had appeared, though he was different in that he showed no interest in the jounin whatsoever. Nice. Points to apple boy. "Were those friends of yours? Are you not looking for training too?"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Sat May 26, 2018 4:15 pm

He watched the exchange passively, a bit curious now as to how it'd turn out. "Whoa whoa, no need to get all testy. You were- you were joking right? We don't mean any harm. We've just never seen you in the flesh before." So, they were fans? They way the big one had been initially standing, anyone would've mistaken it as some kind of challenge. By the look on Kotaru's face, he had done just that. It was strange though. He seemed more annoyed by the fact that the other boy wasn't looking for a fight.

Vale finished off his apple by eating the core and the rest of it in it's entirety. It was a minor habit he had picked up when he was younger. His thoughts drifted off towards his planned training with his father. Lately, he had been practicing taijutsu without the use of his shiin; his father always told him hi shiin was meant to further his basic prowess, not provide a base for them. He'd also need to work on his reaction time and speed. Wasn't much you could do if you couldn't dodge or hit your opponent.

"Were those friends of yours? Are you not looking for training too?" Vale looked up and saw that Kotaru was talking to him; it seemed the others had left, for whatever reason. Great. Now he was sucked into conversation with one of the most important members of his clan, who has enough rumors floating about to fill an entire novel. "Friends? They seemed to be more interested in being your friend, than mine, Kotaru-san." His mother's teachings kicked in almost by instinct. "Always speak respectfully to your superiors; greet them with respect, no matter who they are" she'd always say. Even though doing so often wore on him, he had done it enough not to let it show.

"As for training, I think I do enough each night with my father. Any more than that, and I may have to start calling them battles, he said in a joking tone. It didn't seem like Kotaru knew who he, or who his family, was, which was well enough. Even though many in the clan knew someone's child had manifested the astrashiin, very few knew it was Memi.

Kao

Post by Kao » Sun May 27, 2018 10:55 pm

It wasn't every day that Kotaru was addressed so respectfully, and even though it felt strange that someone around his age would speak to him so politely he supposed it was something he would have to get used to. If he was honest with himself it made him uncomfortable, but the jounin decided not to mention it and instead simply observed. As the other boy talked he couldn't help but give a slight nod. It was essential to Akari youth that they train hard and often. This guy had an almost identical build to Kotaru, the same small stature and lean body, similar slightly chubby cheeks. He couldn't help but see a bit of himself in this kid.

"You train with your father?" he asked as he gently turned the wrinkled letter in his hand. "I suppose that's...the normal way to go about it. Father-son shit. Not that I would know. I mostly train alone nowadays unless I absolutely need a partner. I've heard I'm not the most pleasant person to train with." A slight smirk came to the young Akari's lips. He'd just reminded himself that he needed to develop stronger genjutsu, and that lately it was difficult to get others to agree to help him with the art. Kotaru briefly wondered if this boy would be of any use in that sense but the thought soon vanished when he got a look at the forehead protector sewn on the other boy's jacket. His smirk faded as he paused thoughtfully before choosing his next words.

"Word of advice? If your training with your father doesn't feel like battles by now, you might need to pick up the pace. Eventually you'll have to go to the arena and...." he trailed off as a jarring memory of his own arena fight came to the forefront of his mind. Able to ignore it he continued, "Train like you're practicing for the arena. Whether you know it or not there's probably some Akari who already have their eye on you. You're a meal to them. You get that, right?" Truth be told, Kotaru wasn't sure why he was saying this. Months ago he wouldn't care and would have simply ignored the guy. His best friends' brotherly tendencies seemed to be rubbing off on him.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Tue May 29, 2018 4:58 pm

"Believe me, our blood relation is forgotten during it. I'm not even allowed to call him 'father'." Despite his initial thoughts, Kotaru actually seemed like an amiable person. He wasn't overly aggressive, like he expected a prodigy of the Akari to be, nor was he condescending, looking down on those under him. He just seemed, well... normal. He briefly wondered about the smirk that came across his face. Had something funny come to mind? Or was it something he said?

The thing Vale most noticed about his distant cousin, though, was the lack of the predatory glare that most of their clan had. Well, it wasn't completely absent, since they all had it, even him. But it wasn't exaggerated in a way that was apparent. He didn't feel like he was talking to some kind of snake or jackal, something waiting to pounce on him at a moments notice. It was a feeling alien to him.

The Arena. Despite what anyone would tell you, the first Arena fight of an Akari was a dreaded occurrence. It was a literal life or death scenario, where only one could emerge the victor. One winner, and one... meal. It was a custom for Akari, upon being promoted in ranks, to enter the Arena with another of equal rank, and then fight, the winner devouring the other and gaining their shiin. Genin, didn't need to participate to graduate the academy, however. A blessing to some.

"I understand. If I were a Genin and I didn't know that by now... well, it'd be too late for me. I appreciate the advice all the same, though."

Kao

Post by Kao » Tue May 29, 2018 7:40 pm

The jounin gave a small sigh. He couldn't read much into the other boy's expression, and he was almost as taciturn at Kotaru. Part of him wanted to shrug of the encounter and be on his way, and it was certainly what he would have done a few weeks ago. But what he had experienced in the Arena was still fresh in his mind. He thought about it every day, sometimes for an hour or more at a time. It was consuming him and it made the boy hate the clan and everything it stood for even more.

"I don't think you do. You can't possibly understand until you've been there, on the arena floor. You don't know what it does to people." Kotaru's hand slowly clenched, crumpling the letter in his hand and tearing it. Turning towards the seated genin he took a few steps forward, and when he was only a few feet away he continued. "And it won't be just you. The Arena turns even the best of us - even though there's really no good Akari - into absolute monsters. Even the ones who don't like the clan traditions aren't safe from falling into the trap of becoming the bloodthirsty demons we are."

He paused to gauge the boy's reactions, his thoughts or feelings about what Kotaru was saying. The other boy didn't exactly seem to be afraid or nervous about the arena and Kotaru thought that was a mistake. He wasn't aiming to make him afraid. But something in him wanted to make sure the other shinobi truly knew what he was getting himself into. "You think understand but you haven't had half the clan riot and try to eat you."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Wed May 30, 2018 1:14 pm

"I don't think you do. You can't possibly understand until you've been there, on the arena floor. You don't know what it does to people." Though it was true he had never even seen a Arena match, let alone been in one, he'd had never encountered an Akari beyond Genin without that predator's glare. He had even seen it in his parents eyes, when they talked with others, when they discussed clan matters. Whoever people were before they went in, when they came out, they were changed. They were Akari.

"And it won't be just you. The Arena turns even the best of us - even though there's really no good Akari - into absolute monsters. Even the ones who don't like the clan traditions aren't safe from falling into the trap of becoming the bloodthirsty demons we are." No good Akari. That phrase struck a strange cord in him. Was that really true? Could none of their clan truly be considered 'good'? He thought of Memi. Would she too fall prey to the predator or prey nature of their clan? Or would he be able to protect her from it?

Vale noticed Kotaru tighten his fist and crumple whatever paper was in his hand. The Arena seemed to be a touchy subject for him. Was it something that happened in the matches themselves, to him? Or had he lost someone to them?

Through all of this, Vale did his best to maintain a neutral facade. Another one of his mother's lessons. "Never show a crack in your resolve. They'll swallow you whole if you do." And so he rarely, if ever did. His behavior came off as standoffish to most, but to Vale, it was preferable to being seen as weak or nervous.

"You think understand but you haven't had half the clan riot and try to eat you." No... he hadn't. Maybe if he played it right, he never would. But Memi, with her shiin, she would. She'd be seen as a meal, just waiting to be devoured and eaten at the slightest provocation. That's why he couldn't afford to be scared. For her. "It's true, I don't. But as an Akari, I don't exactly have the luxury to be timid or nervous. The best I can do, is get stronger, be stronger, than the next person. And the next.
And then maybe, he thought to himself, he'd be able to show a crack.

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Post by Niro » Thu May 31, 2018 9:40 pm

Tatsuo's day so far had been...uneventful. He had woken up early in the morning and gotten immediately to training at one of the barren grounds near the Wall where people barely ventured besides shinobi. There he had gone through a hellish training regimen including his two newest shiin, a dual set of phasmashiin he had obtained from literally ripping a man apart within the Arena. The first blade was obscenely large while the second followed suit in design but was much smaller in size.

The first couple of days after he had consumed the phasmashiin sacs Tatsuo had felt guilty and downtrodden from his actions. His father had finally snapped him out of his funk and basically dragged the boy into their family's backyard for an ass whooping that finally put a smile back on his face and helped in removing the mental block he had placed on himself in regards to manifesting the shiin. The dark thoughts that had begun to assault him after his Arena fight were now pushed away to the back of his mind, his mood and demeanor much better and back to normal.

On his way back from training and passing through the Akari compound towards his family's home, Tatsuo spotted a familiar mop of dark teal hair. It wasn't like he could ever forget that or the boy's small stature. Surprisingly, Kotaru was actually talking to another Akari and not baring his fangs at him. Moving quietly yet deliberately, Tatsuo moved to sneak up on Kotaru and provide him with a bit of a scare. The older jounin looked at the other Akari Kotaru was talking to and brought his finger to his mouth, signalling him to remain mum on his position as Kotaru went on about the Arena before draping his left arm across Kotaru's head to use as an armrest. "Wow, lil' Kotaru out and about, making friends? I'm shocked, the world must be coming to an end." Tatsuo spoke, the teasing tone in his voice noticeable to even the most oblivious person.

"Don't let him scare you too bad, it's not every day the Arena sees an astrashiin wielder in the first fight of the day and dergoshiin wielder in the second fight. It was a double header match, it usually doesn't devolve into a riot. Just when I'm involved." Tatsuo went on, flashing a warm smile at the other Akari.

"Name's Tatsuo, what's yours?"
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam
Tatsuo [color=#940839][b]IwaTsuchikageTeam 18 Jousai
Kinomichi [color=limegreen][b]IwaBanninJousai
Kotetsu [color=slategray][b]IwaGeninTeam 7
Ashura [color=coral][b]SunaGenin
Sai [color=#FF14A1][b]Kiri - MND-Rank
Yamato [color=#C71585][b]KiriA-Rank

Kao

Post by Kao » Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 pm

As soon as the boy felt something - someone, rather - touch the top of his head, Kotaru flinched. Luckily his best friend made himself known immediately or else he would have looked down to being impaled by one of Kotaru's melashiin. Not that it would have hurt Tatsuo much, but it still might have caused a problem in the middle of the clan compound. His demeanor changed quickly with Tatsuo's appearance; he had been borderline irritated as he had described the arena to the other boy, but now he was...still irritated, but he looked less like a teacher scolding a hardheaded student. His lips formed into an almost pout as he was teased and he smacked Tatsuo's arm from the top of his head.

In a swift movement he pivoted and turned his body so that he was at Tatsuo's left side and then quickly jumped onto his cousin's back. "Oi, oi, oi," he half-growled as he grabbed both of Tatsuo's cheeks and pulled, "stop using me as an arm rest, it's annoying." There was, of course, no malice behind his words, just the typical aggravation when one older (almost) sibling teased the other. Kotaru was comfortable with his small stature but he still didn't exactly like being used as a piece of furniture to his taller friends.

The jounin glanced over at the other boy and added, "This is uh...actually he never told me his name. Some guys asked for me to be their sensei and I assumed they were buds. Of course I said no. They wouldn't last a day." He continued to yank and pull at Tatsuo's face as he talked, though if the older Akari made a move to knock him from his back, Kotaru would quickly let go and jump down as if nothing happened. "This guy thinks he 'understands' the Arena, so I was making sure he knows exactly unprepared he really is."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Vale noticed the newcomer approaching through a quick glance behind Kotaru. From the way he slowly approached, and his apparent gesture for him to keep quiet, Vale figured he may want to surprise Kotaru. Why anyone would think that as a good idea, was beyond him. To try and scare an Akari, let alone someone like Kotaru, was a mistake that often led to fatal consequences, not the least being impaled by a shiin in reflex or as a knee jerk reaction.

As the newcomer got closer, Vale quietly hoped that he hadn't just been an accomplice to an accidental killing. As he rested his arm onto the top of Kotaru's head, he saw the young Jounin visibly flinch, and he in turn winced, preparing for the worst. "Wow, lil' Kotaru out and about, making friends? I'm shocked, the world must be coming to an end." In an admittedly impressive maneuver, Kotaru was able to use the newcomers body to pivot himself onto their back. "stop using me as an arm rest, it's annoying."

Seemingly ignoring Kotaru, who now rest on their back, the newcomer focused his attention on Vale. "Don't let him scare you too bad, it's not every day the Arena sees an astrashiin wielder in the first fight of the day and dergoshiin wielder in the second fight. It was a double header match, it usually doesn't devolve into a riot. Just when I'm involved." The mention of an Arena fight had caught his attention, because unlike how they were talking about the topic before, it was a recent one. He hadn't even realized their was a fight like that in the morning. Usually any mention of a astrashiin in the Arena stirred up some kind of gossip that eventually reached him.

"Name's Tatsuo, what's yours?" He asked him, bring him out of his thoughts. "This is uh...actually he never told me his name. Some guys asked for me to be their sensei and I assumed they were buds. Of course I said no. They wouldn't last a day. This guy thinks he 'understands' the Arena, so I was making sure he knows exactly unprepared he really is." All Vale could do was offer a small shrug before answering Tatsuo's question. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I'm Akari Vale, though, my jacket or eyes most likely gave that away. It's nice to meet you Tatsuo-san" He'd briefly wonder if Tatsuo was his and Kotaru's cousin, but one look at his eyes gave him a quick answer. "And it's like I was saying a moment ago with Kotaru-san, it's not that I think I understand what I'll go through when my match comes, it's just that I don't think any good will come from dwelling on it."

From how the two spoke about one another, it seemed like they were close friends, which was actually a concept Vale wasn't well versed in. He'd spent much of his childhood in the Akari Compound, save for when he went to the Academy. Even while there, he kept to himself, focusing on his studies. If he were being honest, he really didn't even have regular friends. It was kind of a sad thing to admit, really. "And as far as friends go, I'd say I'm not the first choice for many.

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Post by Niro » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:13 am

Tatsuo’s smile widened into a grin as Kotaru slapped away his arm and began to scramble up his back like a wild monkey. He was honestly surprised his little sneak attack hadn’t resulted in him getting a melashiin through his gut…or at least an attempt. With how strong he was at this point, he doubted Kotaru’s physical strength would be enough to pierce him. Maybe leave a bruise at most but the younger Akari was someone who focused more on genjutsu than his strength. Tatsuo let out a laugh as Kotaru reached around his back and grabbed onto his cheeks. “Not until you hit a growth spurt, shrimp. Until then you’re my personal arm rest! Get used to it!” He teased, knowing just how mentioning the boy’s height would rile him up.

“Some kids asked you to be their sensei?” Tatsuo asked, a look of disbelief on his face until he broke out into a laughter so intense his eyes began to water up. “Do you even know how to teach people or is it just…beating them up until they give up? Y’know you gotta explain and help them understand concepts, not just hammer it into them until the give up.” He spoke through the poking and pulling. “Do you even understand the Arena? That day was your first time being in there, wasn’t it? That day was very abnormal and out of the norm compared to most Arena fights. Most are just like the exams genin take to rank up to chuunin except there’s death involved and then removing and eating the shiin sac. Not every fight breaks out into a massive riot.”

“You being in the compound automatically makes me think you’re an Akari, Vale.” Tatsuo started with his lips pulled into a small smile. “Most other clans dislike us because of our practices and the normal villagers have some pretty wild preconceived notions about us and rarely step foot in here lest we eat them. Not sure why they’d think we’d eat them, they don’t have a shiin to consume.” He shrugged. “Yeah, don’t dwell on if’s and but’s. Just train as hard as you can and get as strong as you can so you can walk into the Arena with no fear and be done. Neither of us are friends with a majority of the clan anyway. My immediate family’s values differ too much from the core values of the clan plus my astrashiin mean we’re not too well liked by some of the others and Kotaru is quite the wild child, he’s calmed down a bit since he moved in with me and mine but oh boy was he rough.” Tatsuo went on, not caring how his adopted younger brother would react to calling him a wild child but wondering just how both of them would react to the information of him possessing an astrashiin being dropped in the middle of a conversation.
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam

Kao

Post by Kao » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm

The boy gave a squinty glare when Tatsuo laughed at the fact someone had asked Kotaru to teach them. Sure, it was laughable, but that didn't mean Tatsuo had to actually laugh. "Suffering is an excellent teacher, Tats," he said simply, his tone deadpan. "Of course I understand the arena," Kotaru had replied grumpily before he jumped off Tatsuo's back. "Being in there even one time is enough when it goes like that. I know more than this guy, that's for sure."

He let Tatsuo prattle on, rolling his eyes as he half listened. His elder was exceptionally skilled at talking others' ears off, and just when Kotaru was thinking his cousin wasn't saying anything important, he dropped a bomb. Or, at least, it seemed that way. As soon as the word astrashiin fell from Tatsuo's lips, Kotaru whirled around and punched the older teen's shoulder. "What the hell Tats, you talk too fucking much. We don't know shit about this guy and you're telling him you have astrashiin? Are you insane?!" The boy practically hissed at his cousin, and any hint of playfulness from earlier had disappeared completely. "Just because you're stupidly strong now doesn't mean you can just say stupid shit."

'Fucking idiot, he thought, pausing to give his cousin a long glare. 'It's like he doesn't care who knows.' Despite how much he cared for Tatsuo, the way he had spilled the beans did nothing but put Kotaru on edge. The two were fundamentally different in that sense; while Tatsuo wore his strength proudly, Kotaru thought it better to keep one's assets secret, especially something like astrashiin. Deep down he still had some resentment towards Tatsuo for even having the damn thing, but he sublimated that feeling into aggression toward everything else. And now that aggression was aimed toward Vale.

Kotaru gave a harsh sigh through his nose, cracked his neck, and slowly turned back to face Vale. In an instant the look in his eyes had changed. He'd once looked at Vale with disinterest, but now he looked at the other boy as something that potentially needed to be destroyed. "Well then. My overconfident cousin has a mouth the size of Rock Country, I guess. But don't try anything stupid, hm? He might be able to punch you through a building, but I can do much, much worse. Fucking with your mind will be a lot more fun than killing you outright. But trust me, I'll get to it." With that he smiled, though it was more of a cruel smirk. "If you go near him, I'll make you gut yourself. Consider that your warning, Vaaaale."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:16 pm

He had an astrashiin? A spark of interest could be seen in Vale's eyes. Just having one made you one of the stronger Akari, but Tatsuo also had it in conjunction with others. He himself had only heard little bits of information on what the shiin could do, from when his parents talked about Memi with elders, or tried to prepare her for her Academy training. The rarity of the type meant the Vale never really expected to meet someone besides Memi with one, but now...

Tatsuo seemed well enough. He also looked to lack the inherent predatory eyes, the same as Kotaru. Maybe eventually.... he could even help his sister in her training? He realized that he'd actually tuned on Tatsuo after hearing astrashiin, which he hoped neither of the two had notice. The last thing he needed at the moment was making enemies out of two prodigies of their clan.

Upon seeing the look on Kotaru's face, he realized he might have been too late. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-", he began, before being cut off by Kotaru's threat. "Never show cracks." His mother's words seemed to bounce around between ear to ear, before being released finally and ignored. The passive expression had dropped from Vale's face, as did the bit of warmth in his eyes. It would be replaced by the coldness that he gave members of his clan whenever they would look at him, or Memi, with that hunger.

He honestly thought Kotaru was a different type of Akari. Maybe the rumors about his cruelty and all were just that, rumors. But all at once, that image of the young jounin collapsed on itself. Did he think Vale of all people, would be the one to go after someone like Tatsuo? It figured. At the end of the day, they were all Akari. Nobody ever changed. Nobody was different.

"I hear you." He tossed the remains of his apple to the side, and stood. He glanced from Kotaru to Tatsuo, before giving a conceding nod, and walking past the two, and began his trip home. At the end of the day, we're all predators, and prey. We're Akari." Another one of his mother's lessons.

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Post by Niro » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:55 am

Yeah, he had expected something like that after dropping nothing short of a bomb in the middle of their conversation.

The ocean of difference between their physical strength and endurance meant the punch to the shoulder was barely felt by the older Akari, the blow akin to a gentle breeze blowing across him. “Half the clan already knows about my Astrashiin due to the arena, and even more probably know from rumors spreading after it. I really couldn’t care less if the other half knew about it as well at this point. Let them come, they’ll end up like the man in the arena; drawn and quartered. You’re not different, majority of the clan know about your shiin now as well as your fighting style.” Tatsuo shrugged until Kotaru whirled around and focused on Vale. A loud groan escaped his throat as Kotaru went on with his threat.

Seriously? No need to terrorize the youth. What if I already told you I scouted the kid out with my sensory before walking up and already know how strong he is? I’m not dumb, I’m not gonna go mouth off for no reason.” Tatsuo scolded Kotaru, seeing how Vale seized up from the attention and ongoing threats. “Don’t listen to him, he means well but it seems I’m going to have to instill some manners into him as well; probably through a nice beatdown. Only a building? That’s way underestimating me, Kota-chan.” Tatsuo let out another groan as Vale finally responded and got up, making his way to exit the area.

“Seriously Kota!?” Tatsuo yelled as his fist came down and imposed its mighty wrath upon the back of the younger Akari’s head, the blow strong enough to knock Kotaru from his feet and put him face first in the dirt. “Stop threatening people dammit! This is why you don’t have any friends! Bad!” Tatsuo scolded his junior before turning to the retreating form of Vale. “Oi! Vale! You ever need any help training with your shiin feel free to drop by my place! I’ll help you with whatever you need and we can use Kotaru as a training dummy! I'm serious!” He shouted to the boy before turning his attention back to the Akari on the floor.

“Next time you see him, you best apologize Kota or else I’m really gonna ring your bell damn good next spar. I need allies, not enemies. Who knows what Vale is now.” Tatsuo told him with a grimace before offering the kid a hand to get back to his feet.
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam

Kao

Post by Kao » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Kotaru's expression was locked in a deep from when Tatsuo countered the younger's chastising words about revealing he had astrashiin. Sure, most of the clan had to know by now, but not everyone was aware of Tatsuo's strength. Not everyone had been at the Arena that day, and he was positive that there were some who didn't know their faces. Kotaru wanted to keep it that way, even though he knew it was futile. Between the two of them, they were already among the most recognizable faces in the clan.

They'd never see eye to eye on the matter so long as Tatsuo was so sure he could take on whatever the clan or anyone else could throw at him. No matter how much they got along, Kotaru resented that confidence. 'Let them come' was a comment worthy of an eye roll, but the boy had been too busy threatening their new acquaintance. Tatsuo reminded him that the clan, for the most part, knew about them both but the information along with the scolding went in one ear and out the other. He didn't care about any of that, only that Vale knew he wasn't fucking around. Only when Tatsuo practically bashed his head in did Kotaru finally open his ears and listen.

"You could have shattered my skull, you behemoth!" he moaned as he grabbed the back of his head and writhed on the ground. It fucking hurt, and that had to have been only a fraction of the older Akari's strength. "Ughh I'm probably hemorrhaging!" After a bit of squirming around in pain Kotaru finally managed to sit up, leaning on his elbows. He shot Tatsuo a look that suggested he would have absolutely murdered him if he were anyone else.

"You are not using me as a training dummy," he began, "and fuck an apology. I wouldn't have said any of that if you weren't always so, 'oh look at me, I'm so strong and I have astrashiin everybody!' I meant it, Tats. I will kill him and anyone else who seems like a threat. I am not apologizing. But for the sake of your potential allies and your master plan to change the clan, I'll reel it in. But you could stand to reel in your boasting." Kotaru didn't hesitate to take his friend's hand, and once he was on his feet he stared at Vale's retreating back.

"We'll know soon enough if he's friend or foe," he noted while crossing his arms. "For his sake, I hope he makes the right choice." After a moment, the young jounin remembered the wrinkled letter tucked away in his pocket and groaned. He pulled it out and waved it at Tatsuo and then turned to make his own departure. "Can't keep the elders waiting. See you at home, Tats."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow