[Graded]Dogs and Wolves

The Legend Excalibur

[Graded]Dogs and Wolves

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Akari Aku was a man of focus. From a young age, he'd always show a dedication towards both his clan, and to Iwagakure. He sought to protect both to the best of his ability from those who'd harm it, whether they be strangers, or friends. Though he proved inept at performing ninjutsu on any great or grand scale, he made up for this deficiency in taijutsu training, both armed and unarmed.

His use of single-sided glaive in conjunction with his strength over the course of his career as a shinobi had earned him the title "Mountain Splitter". His reputation as a just and level-headed man eventually earned him his position as the warden of the Pit; Iwa's prison located within the village. His duties often kept him on site, where he would be able to monitor any situation that develops. But on special occasions, such as being summoned by the Akari Elder Council, he temporarily leaves his duties to a sub-warden.

The halls of the council building would echo with each heavy footstep that Aku made, which mostly stemmed from the weight of his glaive; forged by one of the best blacksmiths in the village, the blade itself measured 40 inches, while the rest of the weapon, it's tempered obsidian handle, measure 72 inches. It shifted freely on his back as he walked.

Coming to the doors of the council chamber, the guards outside would open it, revealing the occupants within. Seated around a half-moon table were the Akari Elders; each a venerable shinobi and power even in their advanced age, as well as three others. Vale, who, though he tried to hide it, looked worried. A side of effect of raising him was that he could peer behind the mask his son had so carefully constructed. Memi, his youngest. She hadn't yet mastered the mask, nor did she seem to want to; she wore her emotions on her sleeve, and this was one of worry.

And finally, was a young boy about Vale's age, who looked unbothered... or rather, annoyed. By the green markings under his eyes, Aku would know this to be Akari Kotaru, one of the recent prodigies to appear within the clan. What was he doing here? The Council's message mentioned some kind of 'disturbance' or some such involving Vale and Memi, but how was Kotaru involved?

He stepped further into the chamber, allowing the guards to seal the doors, knelt and bowed. "You wanted to see me, Elders?" He said in a low voice.
KirigakureOho TetsuJounin A-Rank Missing Ninja
IwagakureAkari Vale • Genin
IwagakureWu Sun • Chuunin
KonohagakureNara Shikado • Chuunin

Kao

Re: [Graded]Dogs and Wolves

Post by Kao » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:22 pm

All eyes turned to the newcomer as the door opened and closed behind him. The council of elders shifted, and the first to speak was the old woman, Akari Kanehara. The group had no official leader, but she seemed to be the spokesperson of the group. "Ah, Aku. Come in, come in." By that time the woman had released Kotaru from his restraint, her temershiin already dismissed. Unlike Vale and Memi, who were sitting directly in front of the council, the jounin was sitting slightly to the side of them. He only spared a glance at Aku when the man walked in. Kotaru sat slouched in his chair, leaning back so that his head rested on the chair's top rail. His hands were folded over his stomach comfortably, and when he wasn't glaring daggers at Kanehara he was staring into space.

After Aku took a seat, the woman sighed. "Well, I suppose I'll get straight to the point. You asked us to let you know how young Memi's meetings go when you're absent. The meeting itself was normal. However, it seems that your son and Kotaru got into a sort of...altercation. Vale is a bit injured but not terribly so."

As she spoke, Kotaru rolled his eyes. The old bat was seriously telling on him to Vale's father. He briefly wondered why she didn't call his foster father as well, but Kakuto was likely working outside of the village. He'd have to face his problems - especially the ones he had been making for himself lately - alone. He could feel everyone's eyes turn toward him, and when he had everyone's attention the boy simply shrugged. Telling Vale's daddy what happened was a waste of everyone's time. But when it was clear that Kanehara was expecting him to say something, the boy scrunched his face in protest.

"What? He talks too much and needs to learn how to back it up." He then looked directly to Vale, then to his sister. "Am I wrong?"
Kao's CharactersShow
Akari KotaruBanninIwagakure no Sato Team 18 Jousai [color=#1fb8a3]
Komiya ShizuoJounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#209DD3]
Yanagida Yukino Special Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#a07ac2]
Ishiwara SetsunaChuunin Iwagakure no Sato[color=#E81D1D]
Enkouten Mai Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#CE5412]
Aisu Namie Chuunin Kirigakure no Sato [color=#5bc2d4]
Awai FusaeA-Rank MNKonohagakure no Sato[color=#D95FEA]
Important NPCsShow
Akari Kanehara Akari clan elder [color=#80A0FF]
Sakata KannaIwagakure Councilwoman [color=#3DA43B]
Hazuki Shuran Jinchuuriki researcher [color=#E854C0]
Enkouten Kaizen Iwagakure councilman, clan leader [color=#C65871]
Rock Country Daimyo [color=#AC4A4A]

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:59 pm

Aku had heard of the mouth that Kotaru possessed..... the disrespect he displayed towards the Elders, how he spoke to other members of the clan... if he'd been any other clan member, he'd been discipline a hundred times over. And even if he was a prodigy of some degree, that still didn't excuse the disgraceful attitude he had.

He more so ignored whatever the younger Akari had said, and focused on the glare he'd directed at Vale. What had his son done to earn his ire like this? He knew Vale to hold similar if not as blatant an attitude towards the clan, but he'd all but hidden it behind a mask of respect. There should've been no reason for them to be like this.

And then he saw the look he gave his daughter, and felt his temper flare. "Kotaru was curious about matters that didn't concern him, and I was-"

Vale silenced himself at his father's sudden movement. His steps would echo through the halls, before he paused right next to Kotaru. "I'd not look at my daughter with those eyes, boy." Aku said, his voice laced with a quiet anger.

Kao

Post by Kao » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:21 pm

When Aku approached and stood in front of him, Kotaru stiffened. The man was huge, and everything about his expression and posture indicated that the man was absolutely not pleased. The boy didn't move at first, instead eyeing the man up and down.

Kotaru was no idiot. Despite his fierce mouth and too-hostile demeanor he normally didn't pick fights at all - not with genin, not with jounin, not with anyone. Vale was honestly an outlier, and the only Kotaru had lost control was because the genin had managed to get under his skin by mentioning his upbringing. Normally he'd back down a bit in a situation like this; Kotaru was no pushover but he could tell this Aku guy was likely not a pushover either.

But in front of this group he couldn't falter. He was convinced that any sign of weakness wouldn't work in his favor. Besides, being in the room after the elders took the time to tell on him, and then being subject to some overprotective father and his veiled threats made Kotaru's irritation build. So instead of backing down, Kotaru smirked. "I look wherever I want, sir."

"Does that apply to touching, too?" He lifted both hands in the air in front of him, and his smirk widened into a grin. "You're a little too late. Sorry 'bout that. Don't worry though, I'm always gentle." He slowly wiggled his fingers in the air and leaned out of his seat to look around Aku and at his daughter. "Isn't that right, Memi?"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:34 pm

"Kotaru." Vale suddenly stand from his seat, growling his name, while Memi would look down at the ground, not willing to meet anyone's eyes at the moment.

The speed at which Aku moved was almost like a flicker. One moment he stood over Kotaru, the next he'd be holding the boy suspended in the air, his entire hand wrapped around his narrow neck, squeezing down on it. His grip would tighten and tighten around his windpipe, with no sign of release or give.

The rage and anger that seeped out of Aku was almost tangible, the mood being felt around the room. Aku's eyes, a strange mixture of hetero-chromia where the irises of each eye were two different colors, we're composed of a bright orange-red, which had a luminescent effect. Truly, he looked like some kind of demon.

"I'll strangle every drop of life from your body, boy. Then I'll feed your corpse to my hound.' His voice was clear to all that were present. This was no hollow threat. His grip would tighten further on Kotaru's neck, surely leaving an imprint by now.

Kao

Post by Kao » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:08 am

Kotaru couldn't breathe.

It was foolish for him to not respect a reaction from Aku after such a display, but even so, Kotaru didn't think Aku would respond so quickly and fiercely in front of the elders. He wasn't braced for it, and after only a couple seconds of being choked his vision started to blur. Aku's grip tightened and threatened to crush his windpipe completely, and the boy's face flushed as his eyes bulged. The jounin uselessly hit the sides of the man's arm with his fist, but each hit was weaker than the last as he lost strength.

And then, he was free, facedown on the floor. After letting Aku finish speaking - and then giving him an extra second or two with Kotaru - three of the elders finally leaped over the table and all but tackled Aku to get him to release his grip. Meanwhile Kotaru gasped for air, still incapable of taking full breaths.

Above him, someone sighed. "So much violence today," Kanehara breathed, "and in the Elder Council chambers at that." Kotaru's breath rattled in his throat. "We talk to one another in these halls with dignity. Such actions have no place here. Calm yourself, Aku!" The old woman grabbed Kotaru by the back of his collar and thrust him back in his chair. He didn't bother to resist; he couldn't. He could only focus on trying to breathe again as his mind filled with an array of colorful, angry swears. Kanehara shook her head at the jounin. He was one of the most stubborn and disagreeable people she had ever met. "And you," she added, her fiery gaze moving to Vale, "sit. Down."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:29 am

Aku's temper was said to be like a dormant volcano; it slumbered quietly, and took quite a bit to arise. But once disturbed, it was a sudden and violent force, difficult to contain. It's take the three elders quite a bit of strength to cause him to release his grip on Kotaru, and more to pull away from the gasping Jounin.

For the first moment or two, he resisted against them, wanting to carry out his word to the boy, but soon he relax in their grips, ceasing to struggle against their pulling. His hand clenched closed, no doubt finishing out what would have been Kotaru's neck had he been allowed to continue.

"By the grace of the Elders, your life has been spared, boy." He'd say, his voice calming now to a low tone. He'd shake out of the elders grips, though not roughly, just enough for them to release him. "If I ever see you near my daughter again, I'll crush you like the disgraceful insect you are." He moved past the elders, and reached his hand out to Memi, who'd slowly take it. "Forgive me, Elders. I think it's time for Memi to return home. I'll be sure to bring her back to conclude any further... business." He said, glaring at Kotaru, before opening the chamber doors and departing. "We'll talk when you return home, Vale." He said as he left.

At the elder's command, Vale would reluctantly return to his seat. Part of him wished his father would finish off Kotaru once and for all, while another wished that it was him who strangled the temperamental jounin to death. But he'd realize that if it ended this way, it'd solve nothing. Kotaru was indeed a disgrace to their clan, but he was right in that Vale needed to be able to back up his convictions. He was just too weak to do so as he was.

He attempted to comfort Memi even as the the elders pulled their father off of Kotaru, and would catch a glance from him as the two departed, leaving the elders, himself, and Kotaru in the chamber. Vale would look at Elder Kanehara, not knowing what to say.

Kao

Post by Kao » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:00 am

For a moment, there was near silence. The only noise in the room after Aku had stormed out with his daughter was that of Kotaru still struggling to breathe. It stayed that way for a full minute, nearly two, before Kanehara moved to kneel in front of Kotaru. "Hold still," she commanded as her hand began to glow with a light green chakra. She placed it over Kotaru's throat and neck, and before long the bruises faded and the sounds of his labored breathing ceased. As soon as he was able to breathe properly his hand found its way to his throat, touching the once tender area gingerly.

"Clear the room. I want to talk to these two alone," she said once she stood to her full height, and the rest of the elders filed from the chambers. The heavy doors closed with a loud clang, and the room was silent once more.

Kotaru sat completely still in his seat, his eyes trained to the floor. He was angry - not quite furious, but angry - at how this situation had come about. All this interference from the elders came just because he knocked Vale down a peg or two; they weren't supposed to do the same to him. Not only that, but where were the elders when he actually wanted their interference, like when he was in the arena? Just thinking about it made him feel bitter.

But wasn't the only reason Kotaru wouldn't look up. He was angry, bitter, but most of all, Kotaru was embarrassed. The boy could probably never verbally admit it, but he was absolutely embarrassed. He couldn't do anything against Kanehara when she restrained him, and it was the same with Aku. Aku even threatened him while Kotaru was too busy struggling to take a breath. Both of them reminded him that despite his growth and strength, he was still a child.

"I presume both of you learned some things today," the woman began, and Kotaru sighed softly. He knew that tone. "About respect. And that neither are you as strong as you would like to be." She turned and walked toward the council table, taking her seat in the middle. Kanehara looked between them and then added, "You both are quite similar. Don't you think, young Vale?"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:20 am

”The same as him?” Vale said, albeit unintentionally. He’d been caught off guard by the comparison. How was he even remotely like Kotaru? Brash. Loose temper. An ass in all but name. All that strength and talent and this was how he acted with it. Goading people until they either theh left him alone, or retaliated. The sheer idea of it was absurd!

”I-“ He began to speak, to convey his feelings and thoughts to the Kanehana.... but he stopped himself. He was suddenly reminded of the first day they’d met. Kotaru seemed like a well enough person... Vale even thought he was decent, at the time. He wasn’t like the Akari. And then came the revelation. He was worse than them all. He’d waste the shiin he’d earn, neglecting yhrm. He thought of no one but himself. How could Vale possiblely compare.

”I’m sorry Elder Kanehana, but no. I don’t see how I could remotely resemble someone like him.”

Kao

Post by Kao » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:01 am

"No?" Kanehara mused as she folded her hands atop the table. "But it's so clear to me, young Vale. Similar in age, for one. Both very small. Both of you still look and behave like the children you are. So yes, you both have many similarities."

"You're joking, right?" Kotaru's voice came in a hoarse croak. Even when he cleared his throat a couple times his voice hadn't quite returned yet. "Being short doesn't make us similar."

"You're both fiercely protective of the ones you deem deserving of your loyalty," she continued on almost as if Kotaru hadn't spoken. "A fine trait. But you are both stubborn. You both also hold a lot of animosity, and not just for one another. Kotaru here is much better at expressing it, though I use the word 'better' loosely. You do your best to hide it, Vale, but these old eyes have seen many things. I see how dedicated you are to not let your emotions ease their way out. Cold, distant to anyone whose name is Akari. That's something you both share. Your family situations are almost the complete opposite, but somehow you both ended up with so many of the same traits."

Kotaru scoffed. She wasn't exactly wrong about him - after all, Kotaru had made it clear in his meetings with the elders that he didn't care about them or hardly anyone else in the clan - but hearing her say it out loud made him mentally rebel against what she was saying. At that point he still wanted to throttle Vale for flippantly mentioning his upbringing, so hearing the woman also bring up his family while saying that the two boys were alike made him want to thrash in his seat.

"Except he thinks he knows shit when he doesn't," Kotaru growled, "like he has everything all figured out. He gets his ass kicked by a pig but he struts around like he can protect the brat and her super shiin." He set his elbow on top of the armrest and then laid his head against his open palm. After leveling a glare at Vale he added, "Must be nice to have your daddy to fight your battles for you. Good for you, Vale."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Vale would clench his fists on the table as his temper would slowly flare again, a habit he noted now whenever Kotaru spoke. "Kotaru doesn't know when to quiet his!" He nearly yelled, before composing himself again to continue. "All he does is speak down towards others, just becase he has some strength. He acts like he can lord over the world with no consequences."

"A prime example being what just happened. I know my father's temper, and wanted to keep our argument between us, but for whatever reason, he thought it would be funny to mess with Memi." He said, his glare not leaving him for a moment. "And then... not only that.... he'd..." He couldn't find the words to describe Kotaru's insinuation... or rather, he was to heated at the moment to say them. ".... I don't care. I don't even know why we're talking about this, with respect, Elder. He sought to antagonize me from the first day we met, and he's succeeded."

"He creates his own problems then lashes out at everyone when the consequences come. Like a disgrace."

Kao

Post by Kao » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:08 pm

Kotaru nearly leaped out of his chair, but instead he lurched forward but held himself back by holding onto the chair's armrests. "Disgrace, disgrace! Will you shut up about a 'disgrace'? Your dad attacked someone in the elder's chambers, but is that alright because it's your dad? I don't give a shit about your damn sister. Your dad's the one with the real temper. Coming up to me and threatening me for a look? In front of the elders you guys respect so much? The elders let a riot happen right under their noses without stopping it, is that not a disgrace?"

The only reason Kotaru remained seated was because he knew that if he didn't Kanehara wouldn't hesitate to restrain him again. He couldn't get his point across if he couldn't talk. He pointed a finger at Vale and growled, "You're a judgmental little shit who knows nothing. The first day we met I gave you advice about the arena because you know nothing about what it's like. And you still don't. You call me a disgrace and yet I'm the one who saved your ass in Rock Country. I prove myself time and time again as a shinobi and my rank alone proves that. My rank that I earned. The elders clearly want me around because of my stupid shiin and let me say what I want because deep down they know I'm right. So fuck off about being a disgrace."

At the end of his tirade the boy found himself clutching to his seat to avoid lunging for the genin. Once again his face was flushed and he was out of breath, only this time it was out of sheer anger. The more he heard that word - disgrace - the more irate he became. Hearing that from some ignorant kid set his teeth on edge. At that moment Kanehara said nothing; she simply looked toward Vale for his response.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:25 pm

"Look! There you go again, trying to blame others for your actions!" Vale pointed flippantly at Kotaru, his voice rising and unsteady with aggravation. You think my father would have snapped like that if you'd just simply kept quiet? If you hadn't insinuated that you'd touched my little sister?" The way his tone was, everyone would know what Vale meant by touched. "Everyone has a limit, Kotaru, and you just seem to enjoy breaking others, only to try and frame yourself as some kind of victim!"

Vale would take few moments in an attempt to calm himself again. He'd lower the tone of his voice."You say your a Jounin, so act like it. Jounin are supposed to be the role model's of the shinobi world. But yet all you do is antagonize, complain about the treatment others get, and look down onyourself...." Vale released his fists, letting them relax. "I'm done. If the Elders accept you, then it's not my place. But I hope you realize the clan, the rest of us, see you as this solely because of how you act."

Kao

Post by Kao » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:09 pm

That made Kotaru stand up. "Keep quiet? Your giant of a father got in my face because I simply looked at the brat. Why the fuck should I keep quiet when he's the one picking a fight? And what? What? Look down on myself?! What are you on about you fuckin-"

"Enough."

Kotaru clenched his teeth and his fists, but at the Elder's beckoning he sat. When Kanehara said 'Enough,' she meant it.

"You're both right to some degree," the woman started, causing Kotaru's head to whip around toward her. "Vale. I don't disagree with some of your conclusions about Kotaru's behavior. But you must realize that, though I understand your father's actions, they were a bit...uncouth. He is an adult, and he should know what is and is not allowed in the Elders' presence, and I will be speaking to him personally later. Besides that, whether you like it or not, Kotaru is just as important to us as Memi is. You do not speak for the clan, for 'the rest of us,' as you said, in that regard. He is coarse, dangerously so, I believe, but we - the elders and by extension the clan - see value in him. Just as we see value in Memi. We have private meetings with them both for a reason."

"And you, Kotaru." Her tone changed, dramatically. While she spoke to Vale gently, her voice turned firm as she began to admonish the boy. "You are certainly one of the most talented Akari I have ever seen, and I have hopes for you. But you let what has happened to you dictate everything you do. It's not young Vale's fault that your family deemed you weak and discarded you. He's not deserving of your ire. He's done nothing to you and you've betrayed the jounin-genin relationship the moment you unleashed your anger on him. Perhaps your promotion was premature."

Kotaru's face and neck flushed red, but this time it wasn't from anger. Quite the contrary, in fact. "I haven't-"

She held up a hand to silence him. "Your insinuation about Memi was far over the line. I suppose you don't know from experience, but many fathers react that way when their children, especially their daughters, are threatened or humiliated. And besides that she is only a child. A seven year old child, Kotaru. You make it difficult for me to defend you. No matter your reasoning, no matter your angst, you were wrong."

Kotaru glowered at her. This was a first for him, someone besides his best friend - who he sometimes ignored - telling him that he was wrong. He'd always believed his thoughts, his actions were justified. Everything he did was always justified. So for this woman to tell him otherwise was like being slapped across the face and then shaken. He said nothing. Kotaru was at a lost for words and his gaze found the floor.

"Are you truly done, young Vale? I assure you, Kotaru won't interrupt you anymore if you have more to say."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Vale sat in silence for several minutes, thinking over what the Elder had said. He wasn't used to being admonished let this. He was always the respectful one, the one who showed the utmost decorum and politeness to others. But Kotaru.... he just shattered that. Something about him just brought out the emotions he sought to suppress. And because of that, he'd lash out. Things in the heat of the moment. Things he knew, for himself at least, we're not true.

Hearing about Kotaru's family struck.... something in Vale, though he'd never admit it. Pity? No, he didn't care for him enough to pity him, not even out of spite. Maybe it was sympathy... Vale had never known what it was like not to be the one of the strongest. In the Academy he'd outperformed his classmates, and at home his father often remarked at his strength compared to his own in childhood.

Thinking on this, he supposed it was why he had such a problem with Kotaru. He had all this strength, yet he acted so.... so...."I...." He began, pausing briefly and looking at the Elder. He then stood from his seat and knelt, bowing his head.

"I apologize for my and my father's actions, Elder Kanehara. I did not mean to step out of my place." He then, with reluctance, got up, faced Kotaru, and bowed shallowly. "I.. apologize, Kotaru-san, for what I said. You we're right, it was not my place to speak out." Though he didn't believe his father's actions were totally out of order, he recognized that the Elder's Chambers were not the place to lose ones tempers, even at provocation.

Kao

Post by Kao » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Kotaru pursed his lips, still staring at the floor. He was still reeling from Kanehara's scolding and at first paid no attention to what the other two were saying. Only when Vale made a motion toward him did he look up. He simply stared at the genin, his expression devoid of the anger he had shown earlier. When Vale apologized - something that Kotaru wasn't prepared for - his lips tightened in an unamused grimace.

"Kotaru."

The jounin sucked his teeth and looked away. She clearly wanted to him to react. She wanted him to apologize. Admitting he was wrong wasn't exactly Kotaru's strong suit. He almost scoffed at the thought. But then the woman said his name again and his shoulders stiffened.

"Fine, fine." Kotaru stood up and turned to face Vale. He didn't want to bow, so for a moment he just stood there with closed fists. But when Kanehara cleared her throat expectantly, he relented by inclining his head slightly downward. Vale would get nothing more than that. "I'm sorry for hitting you." He paused to glance at Kanehara, and then he reluctantly added, "And about your sister. I'm not...I don't." A sigh. "I'm not actually gonna hurt her. I don't care about gaining shiin or about her."

"Well, it's a start I suppose. I will call for you boys again in a week or two."

Kotaru turned to stare at her, his lips slightly parted. "....What?"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Vale honestly hadn't expected Kotaru to apologize to him. Though his first apology seemed more or less a result of the Elder's prompting, but his apology about Memi.... well, Vale could be imagining it, but it seemed devoid of the anger and sarcasm that always lanced his tone. It seemed sincere.

Vale couldn't find the right words at the moment, so he simply offered a curt nod, indicating that he at the very least, acknowledged his apology.

"Forgive me Elder, but why do we... well, why do I need to return? It's not likely I'll escort Memi any longer, and I don't exactly have any outstanding traits about me..." He was as confused as Kotaru.

Kao

Post by Kao » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:42 am

"No outstanding traits?" Kanehara echoed with an amused smile. "Perhaps not, but neither did Kotaru when he first started." Kotaru scoffed loudly as if outraged, but there was no real anger behind the sound. The woman had completely deflated him, and at the moment there was hardly an ounce of fight left in him. Kanehara locked eyes with him, and although there wasn't any kind of animosity in her eyes, her gaze still made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. She was a scary old woman even without trying.

She looked away from Kotaru and to Vale, then closed her eyes and took a deep breath and then released it silently. "You two remind me of my sons." She spoke quietly, as if the boys weren't supposed to hear her. She added, louder, "Truthfully, the thing you both have most in common is your inability to express your feelings, and the fact that neither of you have found your place in the clan, nor do you seem to care for the clan in the first place. I want the both of you back here so that Kotaru can learn to accept the responsibility he has now, and for you, Vale, to find your place in the clan."

Kotaru blinked slowly. "Why do you even care?"

"I have my reasons. One of them being you're both close to important members of this clan."

The jounin clenched his fists, and his eyes narrowed as he thought about the implications of what she said. 'So...the girl is important like I thought.... But what does this have to do with Tatsuo?' He glanced over to Vale, his expression on the verge of being grim. He didn't like this at all.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

The Legend Excalibur

Post by The Legend Excalibur » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:10 pm

Vale was too consumed with his own thoughts to notice Kotaru's glance. What did the elder mean by "finding his place"? It wasn't like he was a lost soul, craving recognition. He knew who he was, and despite his feelings to the contrary, was proud to be able to call himself Akari. What was it he needed to find?

"I don't exactly understand, Elder Kanehara. But if you say I must, then I'll be there." He returned to his seat, easing into it in a more studious manner. His anger and rage form earlier had all but dissipated, leaving him to once again adorn his 'mask'.

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:09 am

"Then it's settled. I'll send for you both soon." With that, the Elder stood from her seat and headed towards the doors. Kotaru watched her leave, though the old woman didn't look at either of the boys as she passed between them. The doors opened for her, and just before she crossed the threshold she looked at first Vale, then Kotaru. Her gaze had a very clear message: Behave. I'm watching you.

The doors closed, and the two young Akari boys were left alone in the Elder's chambers. For a moment there was silence, and the jounin took in a long, calming breath. Nothing about that day had been pleasant. From his own meeting to the confrontation with Vale and then his father, and to the long and uncomfortable lecture from Kanehara, Kotaru found that he wanted to punch something. But he didn't have the energy for that, and instead was thinking about taking a long, hot bath. He'd need the time to think.

Kotaru told himself not to let the old woman's words bother him but her lecture was like an echo resounding in his head. The old woman was holding him accountable and the ordeal made him think so much about unpleasant thoughts and feelings that he mentally squirmed. No longer wanting to be in that room, the jounin turned on his heel and turned to leave. But before he got to the doors he turned to level a final long look at Vale. He pursed his lips as if he was going to speak, but there was nothing left to say.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow