[Plotboard] The Essence of Temptation

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:40 am

Kotaru walked in silence two paces behind the old woman, his expression a twisted scowl. The group had begun to meander through the compound, gaining looks from passerby as their gazes went from the woman and then to Kotaru and back again. It felt as if she were parading him around, and the jounin fought the urge to slip away and go back home. But though the woman looked straight ahead her bodyguard hovered behind them, reminding Kotaru of his presence with his heavy footsteps against the paved path.

"Do you know who I am, young Kotaru?"

"Am I supposed to?" he mumbled defiantly, crossing his arms and looking away from her. He hoped she wouldn't dance around the reason she had sought him out. Something about her made his stomach churn, and though he looked calm - for the most part - his throat had began to dry uncomfortably.

"I am Akari Kanehara," the woman replied. The rebellious tone went ignored, and she continued on with their walk. They approached the center of the compound, eventually coming within sight of the Arena. The boy unconsciously stiffened as they fell into the building's shadow. "I am a member of the council of elders. One of the leaders of the clan, if you will. It's my duty to take note of up and coming Akari. Shiro was one of those up and coming Akari, but Shiro is no more. You saw to that."

Kotaru pursed his lips. "It was me or him. Isn't that what you all want?" The elder said nothing, eliciting a frustrated sigh from the boy. They continued on their way, and Kotaru realized this was going to be a very long walk and a very long day.
Kao's CharactersShow
Akari KotaruBanninIwagakure no Sato Team 18 Jousai [color=#1fb8a3]
Komiya ShizuoJounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#209DD3]
Yanagida Yukino Special Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#a07ac2]
Ishiwara SetsunaChuunin Iwagakure no Sato[color=#E81D1D]
Enkouten Mai Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#CE5412]
Aisu Namie Chuunin Kirigakure no Sato [color=#5bc2d4]
Awai FusaeA-Rank MNKonohagakure no Sato[color=#D95FEA]
Important NPCsShow
Akari Kanehara Akari clan elder [color=#80A0FF]
Sakata KannaIwagakure Councilwoman [color=#3DA43B]
Hazuki Shuran Jinchuuriki researcher [color=#E854C0]
Enkouten Kaizen Iwagakure councilman, clan leader [color=#C65871]
Rock Country Daimyo [color=#AC4A4A]

Yura

Post by Yura » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 pm

As mitsuo walked away from the Akari household that Kota shared with Tatsuo and his family, he couldn't help but feel that he had just sacrificed Kota to the lions. Well, in this case a specific lion: an elder of the Akari clan. And not just any elder, mind you, but the elder that Mitsuo had inadvertently crossed paths with when he had disguised himself as an Akari in order to sneak into the Akari arena. Back when he had first spoken to her, he remembered first believing that she was just a nice old lady who had saved him from being lost in the crowd, but looking back on his conversation with her now he realized that many of the questions that she had asked him or statements that she had made had been designed to elict some sort of response which allowed her to gather information about him even though he had been undercover. Each question had a purpose and he let his guard down like a fool. He had even told her his real name! He wouldn't be surprised if she had already figured out that he and the boy that she had met that day were the same person.

And now that woman was talking to Kota. Mitsuo was sure Kota would be much harder to crack than he had been; the boy was closed off and secretive by nature. Still, the woman was a high ranking official within Kota's own clan. She held influence over him. The fact that she went out of her way to find him and speak to him made Mitsuo worry and the more that he thought about it the slower his pace became until he eventually came to a complete stop. Turning to look back at the home, Mitsuo weighed his options for several seconds before deciding: He wanted to know what was going on and he was going to find out. It was dangerous and foolish and possibly suicidal, but he didn't give himself another moment to question his decision before he reversed his path and took off back towards the home.
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
SadakoGeninIwagakureTeam 13[color=#90D2D8]
Enkouten, MitsuoBanninIwagakureTeam 18|Jousai[color=#ff2200]
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Nara, ShikariBanninKonohagakureMamorinuku[color=#fb8a00]
Takara, MorikoGeninIwagakure[color=#ffeb66]
Inji, AyakoC-RankWaterfall[color=#8080ff]

Kao

Post by Kao » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 am

Eventually, Kanehara offered an answer. "If you want to make things simplistic, yes. Akari are born to desire strength, and we obtain our strength at the expense of our clan members. We inherently prey on those around us, covet their shiin and as a result take their lives. It's what each of us are born to do." Kanehara continued to walk in front, but every once in a while she would slow her pace so that Kotaru could catch up and walk beside her. Each time she did this, however, the jounin would only stand near her for a few moments before putting distance between them once more.

"But things are never truly simple. Shiro was a special boy, a natural born derghoshiin user, and he obtained a lacrishiin early on in his career, all on his own. I had high hopes for the boy. Your victory was most unexpected, especially considering the council had next to no idea who you were or the power you obtained. Without our knowledge, I may add. We keep records of these things and you were only known to have melashiin when you entered the arena. I thought for sure you'd be slaughtered."

The more she talked, the more irritable the boy became. This woman - and the rest of the elders, most likely - were clearly ones who kept tabs on who they deemed strong since childhood, and they let people like Kotaru fall by the wayside. Those with 'weak' shiin weren't even noticed, and the elders didn't bother to follow their lives and keep track of their progress. It gave Kotaru clarity regarding his upbringing; those above him wrote him off the moment he first manifested melashiin and from that moment on cared nothing for him. They had all but allowed his parents to so harshly reject him. His resentment for this woman and the elders she represented deepened.

They continued their walk, following several clan members along the way. Each of them took notice of the group, some even doing a double take when they say Kotaru with Kanehara. None ventured too close to them, many going out of their way to avoid crossing their path, so there was always a distance between the trio and onlookers. Kotaru again felt as though he was on display.

"Are you ever going to get to the point?" Kotaru grumbled, coming to a stop and forcing the woman to do so as well. She looked back at him, her brows raising in curiosity. "Shiro's dead. I don't care about his history or the fact that you wanted me to die so that your favorite little Akari could grow stronger. What the hell do you want?"

Kotaru's tone and choice of words made her frown. For a moment there was a potent flash of anger in her gaze, and it was enough to make even Kotaru pause and wonder if he had gone too far. But it was soon gone, and she turned away from him and began to walk once more. "In due time, young Kotaru. Let's first get to our destination."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Yura

Post by Yura » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:04 pm

As Mitsuo approached the home, he realized almost immediately that it had been deserted. He moved to the back side of the house where the garden was located but based on the fact that the elder's bodyguard was no where to be seen, he already knew that he would find it empty. Wasting no time, Mitsuo walked out of the garden and back out into the street, contemplating which way Kota and the elder would have gone. He tried to think back to which way she and her bodyguard had come from, figuring that whichever direction they had come from was less likely to be the way they went. "I think they came from the that way..." He mumbled to himself, looking in an easterly direction, "Let's try this way." He said, taking off to the west.

Mitsuo moved quickly and it didn't take him long to catch sight of Kota and the elder off in the distance. Slowing his pace, Mitsuo considered his next moves carefully. He was about to spy on the private conversation between the two, a conversation that he wasn't invited to be a part of and if discovered it had the potential to cause a inter-clan nightmare. And yet, he was still adamant on doing it. He didn't know why, but he didn't trust this woman in the slightest. She had seemed nice enough when he talked to her at the arena, sure, but something about her, and knowing that she was the clan elder, made him feel uneasy in her sudden interest in Kota. Given the time of day, the streets of the clan compound were rather crowded which would provide him with cover as he trailed behind. He would have to go unnoticed by her bodyguard and after taking a few moments to identify his location, Mitsuo began to move amongst the crowd, slowly gaining ground on the group all while trying to keep and eye on the bodyguard.
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:42 pm

The group came across a long wall made of black brick, tall enough that none of them could see over it. When Kanehara led them to the gate, a beautiful manor sat on the other side. It was easily one of the largest homes in the compound, clearly one of the perks of being the elder of the clan. Beyond the gate was a elaborate garden filled with plants and flowers, many of which weren't native to Rock Country. "It's interesting that I met you in a garden," the woman said as she passed through the gate. "But unlike your family's - your foster family's - garden, mine is well tended to, grand. Do you know why, Kotaru?" The boy jounin rolled his eyes. The old hag sure knew how to talk. She reached out a hand to touch a dark red flower that was nearly as large as her head, blooming even as winter was fast approaching.

"I tend to much of this garden myself. I'm a meticulous woman, and when I see potential, I nurture it." She turned to look at Kotaru, and for a moment he saw a glint in her eyes that he couldn't describe. It was a sort of hunger, but not the kind he was used to seeing in other Akari. It was something more like ambition, or greed. But Kotaru wasn't adept at reading others, so all he saw was an expression that made him feel a wave of discomfort and wariness. "I view the clan like my garden. I nurture strong Akari, and weed out those that would choke the clan and make it weaker. I want to nurture all strong Akari, especially Tatsuo."

Kotaru's lips curled into a snarl. He was starting to see what this little encounter was about, and he didn't like it in the slightest. "Right. You're a nurturer. Then why talk to me? Talk to him instead."

"Yes, therein lies the issue. I have summoned him to the elder chambers many times but he ignores us. That is why I came to you. You also have potential. You made that clear in the arena, and by becoming a jounin at an astonishing pace."

As the two spoke, Kanehara's body guard lingered around the gate. He wasn't quite needed in such a secure location, so he turned his attention to what was happening outside of the elder's manor. As he usually did when he guarded the perimeter of her grounds, he closed his eyes and focused on everything around him, sorting through the chakra signatures of anyone who ventured nearby.
Guard's JutsuShow
*[Sensory Style • Perfected Senses]
S-Rank Ninjutsu
Prerequisites: *[Sensory Style • Augmented Sense], Ninjutsu/Control/Instinct stats of 40
As an extension of Augmented Senses, the ninja is able to increase the range and power of their sensor jutsu. The ninja is able to view very great distances at not as much of a build up. They are able to pinpoint precise chakra locations at ranges of up to 200 meters away, while getting a general sense of directions and number of chakra sources of up to 400 meters away. It should be noted that this jutsu requires intense concentration, often making the user shut their eyes so they can focus on this jutsu solely. Even with high levels of Chakra Control and Instinct, this jutsu can be mentally taxing as it requires the user to sort through individual chakra sources in the sensor's range.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Yura

Post by Yura » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Mitsuo weaved through the crowd with ease, quickly gaining ground on the group as they walked. He kept his eye on the woman's bodyguard as he moved; not only was the man the easiest to make out in the crowd, he was also Mitsuo's the primary threat. If anyone was going to catch him stalking the group, it was going to be that guy. As they began to approach the towering wall and the gate that lay along it, the crowd in the area began to thin out, compromising Mitsuo's cover. Just as he had started to gain some ground, Mitsuo was forced to slow his pace to keep with the remaining groups in the area and not expose himself too much. This has to be the elder's home, he thought to himself. At the very least it had to be part of the elder's portion of the compound. Mitsuo could feel himself getting anxious, wanting to know why they were bringing Kota to a place such as this. Taking a walk around the compound with the elder was one thing; at least they were out in the open. But to bring him to the elder's private residence behind a towering wall, it turned Mitsuo's anxiety into fear. Kota could handle himself, that was true, but could be a ruthless bunch in public and he had first hand knowledge of what they do to each other in private. The elder seemed like a nice enough woman based on his talks with her before, but he didn't trust her.

I need to find a way in, Mitsuo thought to himself after he watched the group pass through the gate. Approaching the wall, Mitsuo walked along side it until just before he reached the gate. He had to be sure about this. He had already previously 'invaded' their arena, an area in which outsiders were forbidden. If he were get caught passing uninvited onto the grounds of another clan's elder's home, the consequences could be significant. Still, he wasn't about to let his friend go through this with no backup. Slowly poking his head around the corner, Mitsuo peered passed the gate and saw that the group hadn't gotten far. He wasn't going to be able to get any closer, however, not without being seen. The area was too open, with nobody except for Kota, the elder and her bodyguard in t he vicinity.

As he considered his options, the Mitsuo noticed the bodyguard's head suddenly perk up and his back straighten before his head whipped around towards Mitsuo's direction. "Shit" Mitsuo cursed under his breath, pulling his head back from the gate entrance. Hopefully the man didn't see him.
CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor
Retired CharactersShow
NameRankVillageTeamColor

Kao

Post by Kao » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:04 am

Oh, but he did notice. The man had been a guard to Kanehara for several years now, and he had long ago learned the chakra signatures of the people who lived around her estate and the ones who frequently moved around nearby. He kept the technique at a reasonable range, not seeing the need to extend it to its full capability. But after a few minutes of sorting through the chakra sources nearby he found that one was much too close. He had opened his eyes and turned toward the source and saw something red quickly move out of sight. Immediately suspicious the guard walked away from his post and quickly went toward it.

Meanwhile Kotaru was staring down the old woman. The fact that she brought up Tatsuo put him on edge. "Just tell me what you want."

"Well, young Kotaru, t's about you and Tatsuo. As I already told you, I keep watch over strong Akari, especially ones with rarer shiin."

Her words sent an unpleasant jolt to his gut. No one as important as this woman had ever approached him before he had his arena match. Kotaru's lips twisted into
a snarl and he glowered at her. His next words came in a near growl. "So now that I have derghoshiin, you care about me?"

"Correct."

The boy took an angry step toward her, then another. The only change in Kanehara's expression was a simple jutting up of her brow. It wasn't that she was taken aback or surprised by the reaction. He was bolder than he looked. "Are you fucking kidding?! It took me gaining new shiin in front of a crowd for you stupid clan elders to care about me? All because I was born melashiin?!" The events of the arena were still fresh, having happened only a few weeks prior. The words were coming straight from the horse's mouth, confirming what he already knew: the social hierarchy of the clan was upheld by people who wouldn't even shit in the direction of someone born with melashiin. That is, of course, not until they obtained a "better" shiin.

"You sound angry, as if you're taken aback. Melashiin on its own aren't worth much. But that's the way things are, boy. Now that you have derghoshiin - and lacrishiin and eroshiin, might I add - you are extremely important whether you like it or not. Tatsuo is, too, as an astrashiin user. That being said there’s something I want you to do for me." Kotaru started to protest but she simply talked over him. "Tatsuo and his family are…different. Some might even call them...dissident in their beliefs. It has been difficult to keep an eye on them, particularly on Tatsuo. He has refused to answer our summons for quite some time now, and his parents are no better. It’s impossible to get close and know where he stands." Kotaru balked at her, anticipating where the conversation was going but still unbelieving that she would actually suggest it.

"I want you to continue as you are as his friend and as part of his family. Train with him, go on missions with him. Live in his household. And, when you're summonsed, tell me about them."

The boy stared at her with his jaw slightly slacked. It was unbelievable but at the same time, it wasn't. It was just like the clan to attempt to pit its strongest against one another, all for the sake of strengthening shiin in the exact way the leaders wanted. To have one cousin spy on the other. To foster distrust and betrayal. He wanted to scream but his outrage was caught in his chest.

As the two talked, the bodyguard had made his way outside of the gate. "I know you're there," he growled, still moving in the direction where he still sensed Mitsuo. "Come out, Enkouten. Unless you want to leave this place in worse condition than when you arrived."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow