[Closed] Sober & Home

Kat & Kao

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Willoria » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Ume had lost track of how many times she had second guessed herself during the trip home. At least after the first couple of hours she had gotten smart enough to stop vocalizing them to Kotaru. Not that he necessarily had a bad reaction to it, knowing she was getting cold feet off and on, but she knew it had to be annoying him at the least. She had gotten so pre-occupied with it though that after they had arrived within Iwa itself, it was as if she completely lost track of time and place. Before she knew it she could see a black brick building looming in the distance. The sight of it honestly terrified her, and not just because she had never actually met with the Elders this way before. Her father had spent so long keeping her out of their crosshairs, and then there was her guardian who had been the one to meet with them when necessary. It left her incredibly sheltered and with no real idea of what to expect.

'What if they think me too weak? They could decide that I'm not worthy and just rip the Astrashiin out of me right then and there.' As her thoughts ran wild, her gaze slipped to Kotaru more than once. She knew he was far stronger than the last time she had seen him, certainly much stronger than her. 'I don't know if even he could help me against them, if he could protect me...' And that thought immediately left her with a sinking feeling in her gut. She suddenly felt sick, pausing at the doors to close her eyes and hold back the sudden urge to throw up.

It was like she could see Koyama all over again, sprawled out in the dirt and the blood everywhere. 'If they take it, they take it, no one else is dying to protect me.' she told herself, steeling herself for whatever she was about to face and pushing the doors open.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

Kao

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Kao » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:53 pm

On their journey back to Iwagakure, Kotaru had listened to Ume as she voiced her concerns and what was troubling her. Of course the naturally irritable boy had become annoyed more than once, but he never lashed out at her or told her to be quiet. She had been gone from the village for some time, dealing with so many things on her own. It was understandable that she was nervous, so the boy did his best to take that in consideration, no matter how difficult that was. The closer they got to the village, however, the more he seemed to change. As the days past the look of relief in his countenance diminished and he became more and more tense. By the time the mile thick wall that surrounded Iwagakure came into view, his expression was stern and harsh.

The first thing they should have done was stop by the offices in the eastern district. He had, of course, been on a mission, and part of his duty was to report on it as soon as possible. However, Ume's return complicated that, and he had sent word ahead to the clan as soon as they had passed through the Wall. They headed straight to the Akari compound where the council of elders would no doubt be waiting for them anxiously.

Ume would notice that when the two of them entered the compound, things were quite different. Normally Kotaru would have avoided taking the main paths, instead taking to the alleys and the shadows. But instead he walked straight through the compound, passing some of the most populated areas and meeting spots. Not only that, but the clan took notice of him whenever he passed. Some nodded their heads in signs of respect - many of them seeming to do it begrudgingly - while others glared and stared as if they were contemplating him. But the jounin appeared to take no notice, and he forged on with his eyes straight ahead.

Not once did Ume's glances at him go unnoticed, but he said nothing until they were at the meeting hall's doors. "There it is," he said to her with a hint of a smirk on his lips, "that constipated look of yours when you're thinking too hard." He followed behind her when she pushed open the doors, but once he was inside he held out a hand to stop her. "Don't worry about them. Just answer whatever questions those assholes have. I'll be right there, if the fuckers allow it." His tone would be familiar to her, one of barely concealed anger and hatred. The boy couldn't help it; even being near the council's chambers set his teeth on edge.
Kao's CharactersShow
Akari KotaruBanninIwagakure no Sato Team 18 Jousai [color=#1fb8a3]
Komiya ShizuoJounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#209DD3]
Yanagida Yukino Special Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#a07ac2]
Ishiwara SetsunaChuunin Iwagakure no Sato[color=#E81D1D]
Enkouten Mai Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#CE5412]
Aisu Namie Chuunin Kirigakure no Sato [color=#5bc2d4]
Awai FusaeA-Rank MNKonohagakure no Sato[color=#D95FEA]
Important NPCsShow
Akari Kanehara Akari clan elder [color=#80A0FF]
Sakata KannaIwagakure Councilwoman [color=#3DA43B]
Hazuki Shuran Jinchuuriki researcher [color=#E854C0]
Enkouten Kaizen Iwagakure councilman, clan leader [color=#C65871]
Rock Country Daimyo [color=#AC4A4A]

Willoria

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Willoria » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:40 am

She had noticed how different Kotaru acted, how differently he was received, but in truth the girl couldn't get her mind off her own situation enough to ask him about it. She could see she had missed a lot just by being gone a few months, and she was starting to wonder what all had changed. And then Kotaru spoke, and she couldn't help frowning at him with a rather bewildered expression. "I... do not look constipated." she hissed at him, almost desperately. Suddenly she noticed the smirk on his face and realized he was teasing her intentionally, and smacked him lightly on the arm. "Oh you dick." She continued through the doors, frowning as he stopped her and she turned to look at him as she realized what he was saying.

She suddenly grabbed one of his hands in hers, intertwining their fingers out of habit. "N-n-no, I can't go in there alone." she said nervously, swallowing hard. "Kotaru...." the girl suddenly stopped herself and took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a moment. 'No... if they find me weak, if they decide to end me right there... I can't have him getting in the way of that...' All the worst case scenarios ran through her head and it scared the hell out of her. But still she imagined what had happened to Koyama, and her own vow to never let it happen again.

She opened her eyes finally, a different look on her face as she gave his hand a light squeeze. "...okay." she said, steadying herself. She gave him an odd smile before releasing his hand and turning to head in, ready to face whatever lay before her.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

Kao

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Kao » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:00 am

When she grabbed his hand he absentmindedly intertwined his fingers with hers, barely noticing the gesture. He could see the uncertainty written all over Ume, from her eyes to the way she swallowed heavily, and when she closed her eyes he frowned. The jounin still wasn't quite used to all of her mannerisms, and he was preparing himself to make some effort at reassuring her when she finally opened her eyes. There it was, the confidence that he had seen before in snippets when she focused not on others, but on her own inner strength. Not noticing the oddness of her smile, he stepped back and watched her enter through the heavy doors and then followed behind her.

The elder's chambers was a large room, with dark stone walls with nearly black tile flooring. Black and crimson tapestries emblazoned with the clan symbol hung from the wall, and the symbol was etched in a few floor tiles, arranged in five by five squares from the entrance to the back of the room as if marking a path. Towards the back of the room was a long desk made of redwood, and behind it sat the Akari council of elders. Five individuals, none of them appearing younger than 55, looked toward the doors when they opened. Each of them had clearly been waiting, some almost anxiously, and when Ume walked through the doors a few of them tensed further while the others visibly relaxed. In the center of the group was an old woman, small by comparison to the others, with long greying hair that was braided in a ponytail that was slung over her shoulder and cascaded down her front. She was the one who spoke first.

"Ah, Ume. Come in, we've been waiting." The woman's eyes then moved to Kotaru, and a slight smile spread across her lips. There wasn't much warmth to it. "Young Kotaru. It's been a while."

"Not long enough," he grumbled, shooting daggers at her with his gaze. He settled near the entrance and leaned against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest.The woman took no notice of attitude, or she ignored it due to expecting it, and instead looked back to Ume.

"Please, sit," the old woman said as she gestured toward a chair situated a few feet in front of the elder's desk. "We haven't met before somehow. We are all eager to hear about you and your...experiences."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Willoria » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:21 am

Ume could feel her hands shaking as she entered the room, and so clasped her hands behind her back as she walked. It helped her to walk straighter, made her look more confident than she felt, just as Koyama had once taught her. As she was addressed she stopped, giving a bow out of respect in return to the woman's words and only moved for the chair when it was indicated for her. Ume stepped in front of it and sat carefully. Her hands rested in her lap, her feet in front of her and back straight as her purple eyes remained fixed upon the woman. Though a smile came across her lips as it was mentioned that they had not met before.

"My father was quite over protective after my mother's... incident." she remarked, choosing her words carefully. In truth she knew 'madness' would be a more accurate term, but it didn't seem like a good idea to indicate such a weakness in her blood in front of these individuals even though they likely knew all about it. "When he chose Akari Koyama as my guardian I'm afraid he chose a man even more protective than he was. He often insisted on taking care of such meetings on my behalf, insistent that it kept me safe, insistent that I use the time to gain strength." She found it hard to say his name, but still forced herself to. She knew this meeting was likely about to get so much more difficult.

"Am I right in assuming you wish to know what happened on our mission to apprehend Akari Kaska... and the events that lead to my own disappearance these several months?"

Kao

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Kao » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:37 am

The council listened as Ume briefly explained why she had never appeared before them. They knew a bit more than she realized, though the details surrounding both of her parents' deaths remained a mystery to them. They had heard of some illness, but knew nothing about the specific effect it had on the man and woman's minds and bodies. They simply knew they had died likely due to some sickness, and since nothing appeared to be spreading within the clan, for the moment that was enough information to satisfy them. The girl's personal story was far more interesting, especially regarding her sudden disappearance and reappearance.

"Of course we want to hear more about your absence," the old woman responded, "which is why we have gathered here so quickly. How prudent of young Kotaru to bring you here ahead of an official summons. He is truly learning how our minds work as leaders of this clan." Kotaru almost protested at that, but instead he held his tongue and snarled in the woman's direction. The implications of her words were insulting in the boy's mind. But the woman continued on. "Start from the beginning then, from your encounter with Kaska, and what happened to him and to your guardian."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Willoria » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am

At the mention of Kotaru, Ume briefly turned to give him a glance, and an attempt at a smile, before turning her attention back to those before her. She nodded as the woman confirmed what they wanted to hear about and Ume took a deep breath to try and prepare herself for the telling. "We were following a lead given to us in a small, outlying village. We thought we had Kaska's location and followed the road where he was supposed to be holed up." she began, clasping her hands together in her lap as she tried to hide her own shaking. "We were arguing, actually... I had started digging at Koyama about something stupid and since we thought Kaska was in a town up ahead, I wasn't keeping my guard up like I should have. We were ambushed by thugs. Probably could have fought our way out but apparently Kaska himself was with them and he used a high ranking genjutsu to render us unconscious."

Ume paused, looking down at her own hands in her lap before she continued speaking. "I came to in a cage. From what the thugs were saying I gathered that Koyama had been left behind, I knew he'd come for me so I started trying to get free. I insisted I needed a bathroom break and I was as verbally crass as I could be about it to get their attention. Kaska didn't go for it, and even killed one of his own thugs to get the point across that I wouldn't be let out of the cage... but the guy was close enough I was able to secure a key without Kaska seeing." She bit her lower lip a moment as she thought about how to better explain what she had to say next. "From what Kaska said then... it became clear that he knew Koyama and I were behind him and he had set the trap to steal our shiin. Though at the time he had no idea what shiin we had."

Ume took another deep breath and finally looked up at the group before her. "I broke free from the cage and ran, using my shiin to do so. But in doing so I stupidly manifested my Astrashiin. I wasn't careful and he saw what I had... it only made him more determined to get it I guess." She bit her tongue before stating that what happened next was her fault, she felt certain they would realize that. "In my escape they caught up to me and I chose to stand my ground, during which Koyama showed up. Between the two of us we took down every enemy... but in the fight with Kaska, though Koyama successfully killed the man, he took a fatal blow." She fell quiet for several moments, debating how much to tell them about Koyama's final words, and his instructions to her. But it was a moment that likely provided an opportunity for questions concerning her story thus far.

Kao

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Kao » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:43 am

The council listened to her tale, many of them jotting down notes when she said something of interest. The middle woman, however, remained still. She sat with her elbows propped on the table, her hands claps and her chin resting atop her fingers. Her expression was nearly impossible to read. The woman had heard many things in her decades of life, and she didn't seem surprised or concerned by Ume's story. "So your guardian died to protect you. Good. I'm sure he was satisfied that he died in the midst of battle and while performing his duty." After a thoughtful pause she added, "And how long did your pursuit of Kaska take? You have been gone for months, with no word from neither you nor your deceased guardian. There are ways, even during a mission such as this, to get information back to the village. If you did not know how to do so then surely Koyama did."

The woman lowered her hands, placing her palms down on the desk. Her expression now was stern, making it clear that she would accept nothing less than a straight answer. The truth. "And also, what of Kaska's body? And Koyama's? Their shiin are valuable tools to this clan, and you said nothing about what happened to their bodies and shiin."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Willoria » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:21 am

Ume chewed on her lower lip as she contemplated her phrasing to answer the questions asked of her. She found herself starting to get emotional at all this talk of Koyama but did what she could to bury it. "Koyama's last words to me were a demand that I take the Phasmashiin that made him so unique..." she said, albeit somewhat quietly. "I was hesitant and he went so far as to place my hand in his wound to encourage me to take it... and I finally did." she admitted, swallowing hard. "Koyama was a large man, I wanted to bring him back to the village but I couldn't move him an inch much less get him back here. I forced a couple of stragglers to help me set up a funeral pyre for him and I remained until the fire was complete to ensure nothing of his shiin or secrets could be delved from him." She paused a moment, cringing as she remembered what she had done to Kaska. "Those same two stragglers helped me tear the traitor's body to pieces before burning each of them separately... and those two stragglers I also killed when they were done." she lifted her eyes and looked at the group before her despite tears trying to form in her eyes. "I did what I had to in order to keep our secrets when I knew I wouldn't be able to return them to Iwa."

She shook her head however as she tried to think of what came next. "I did intend to send a message to Iwa about all of it, I made my way to a nearby town in the middle of nowhere... but to be quite frank I don't remember anything after that. Our hunt of Kaska only took a couple of weeks. I made it to that town and its like everything just goes... blank. The next things I remember were only a couple days before Kotaru found me begging on the streets..." she chewed on her lower lip again, all the more hesitant to state the last part, but she knew she would be asked. "Apparently I had developed some kind of drug addiction... I don't recall starting it, I only recall a couple of days before Kotaru found me and cleaned me up before we returned home." It was the most unsettling thing. The more Ume tried to remember what happened, the less she could find. It was as if the memories weren't just buried, they were simply gone. There was nothing in their place and she couldn't explain it.

Kao

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Kao » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:30 pm

The man to the old woman's left spoke next. He was a man with deep wrinkles etched into his face, side by side with scars that crisscrossed his skin. Looking as if he had never smiled in his life, he leaned forward to further scrutinize the young Ume. "So you killed any witnesses. Good. We guard our secrets jealously and not just because we are part of Iwagakure. Many outsiders would love to access our birthright, and some have even succeeded. It would have been troublesome if we had to hunt some faceless thief down because of your mistakes."

"Did you miss what she said about the reason for her long absence, you old fool?" On the far right, an Akari with an oversized head leaned back in his chair and craned his too-thick neck to look at the other. "The girl went on a drug binge of all things. Who knows how that affected her shiin. They could be tainted and unusable, damaged because she somehow lost herself to some-some drug! Do you even know what it was, girl? Kotaru! Did you see it?" From the other end of the room the jounin simply shrugged. The man's face flushed red and he continued, "We need some sort of - some sort of medical exam to determine whether or not she ruined her own shiin. Drugs! Of all things!"

"Settle yourself, Gyoubu," the old woman droned. "There is time to inspect her shiin medically. But for now...show us. Manifest your shiin, Ume. All of them. We want to see them for ourselves, especially the phasmashiin your guardian gave you with his dying breath."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Willoria » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Ume wanted to breathe a sigh of relief as the first man spoke. Some part of her worried she might have gotten into trouble for not bringing the shiin back at least, but she couldn't get it out of her head that it was just impossible for her to have brought both men back with her. Not to mention, given her own lost memories what would have actually become of them had she not burned them? She took a few deep breaths to steel her own emotions about the entire thing, bringing herself back to normal, just in time for another to start in on her. She stiffened visually but made no attempt to actually defend herself, in fact when he demanded to know what it was she actually attempted to answer. "I only recall that the drug was some kind of pill form, taken by placing under the tongue and allowed it to melt... I'm afraid I don't seem to remember enough to know anything beyond that."

It seemed though the woman who spoke first had similar concerns but certainly a calmer way of bringing them up. As she ordered Ume to manifest her shiin, the girl nodded. She stood from the chair and stepped away from it before closing her eyes and manifesting them. Her Astrashiin curling up over her head in the form of a spartan helm, her temershiin at the base of her spine unfurled and her Eroshiin wings formed at her back. Once formed she turned her back to the group, though her head she kept turned towards them, that they might better see the bottom of her Eroshiin wings where the phasmashiin now resided. It had given her wings a bladed edge. "I know my Astrashiin would not allow me to maintain the color that made Koyama's phasmashiin so unique. I had hoped that a unique placement would be a suitable way to honor him and what he has done for me." One of her wings shifted and stretched around her, while her hand on that same side moved back to touch the serrated edge of it. It was still taking getting used to, seeing it, but already she was more than a little attached to it.
Jutsu UsedShow
~Basic Formation: Temershiin
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
Type: Temershiin
Channeling chakra to their shiin, they cause it to inflate, fully forming into its full glory. The temershiin takes the shape of a wide and powerful tail. The strength and durability of a temershiin are equal to the user's strength and stamina.

~Basic Formation: Phasmashiin
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
Type: Phasmashiin
Channeling chakra to their shiin, they cause it to inflate, fully forming into its full glory. The phasmashiin takes the shape of a scaled and skeletal weapon over one of the Akari's limbs. The phasmashiin have a strength equal to Akari's, but a stamina equal to the clan member's stamina+3, while causing the limb that they are on to move at 3 speed less.

~Basic Formation: Eroshiin
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
Type: Eroshiin
Channeling chakra to their shiin, they cause it to inflate, fully forming into its full glory. Taking the form of energy-like jelly small wings, they are incapable of flight on their own, however are very aerodynamic, allowing for the user to slowly float down, based on their prerequisite taijutsu. The Eroshiin has a strength and stamina equal to 3/4ths the user's strength and stamina.

~Basic Formation: Astrashiin
D-Ranked Ninjutsu
Type: Astrashiin
Channeling chakra to their shiin, they cause it to inflate, fully forming into its full glory. Taking the form of a helmet, the astrashiin is perhaps the weakest of the shiin, having only half the Akari's strength and stamina.

Kao

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Kao » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Nearly every member of the council moved forward in their chairs when Ume revealed her shiin. Each of their gazes, one by one, hardened as the organs blossomed to their full glory. There was hunger in their eyes, and Ume would be reminded that every Akari, no matter their age, no matter their position or demeanor was a predator. Even Kotaru's curiosity was piqued, but his gaze was much milder than that of the elders. There was a long pause, an uncomfortable pause, before someone spoke up again. "An interesting placement. Not sure that's where I would have wanted it, but interesting nonetheless."

"A pity that you did not obtain his lacrishiin. It would have certainly been more valuable than a phasmashiin, especially one that has lost the hue which made it unique." The two elders' comments seemed offhanded, even dismissive, and accentuated the fact that these people, like many Akari, placed more value on the rarity and perceived strength of shiin. These people weren't moved by sentimental motivations. Their gazes finally collectively softened - if one could call it that - and a couple of the elders jotted down more notes. The woman in the center tapped her chin thoughtfully, eying each of Ume's shiin.

"Very well then. You've answered our questions, and it seems your story is corroborated by your new addition, though we will investigate to be sure. Now-"

"Now comes the matter of what to do with you." At the woman's immediate right, an elder folded his hands on the table. Even seated it was clear that he was tall, and he appeared to be the youngest of the group. Wrinkles had yet to mar his features save for a thin line jutting from the corners of his eyes, the beginning stages of crow's feet. The sclera of eyes were dark grey, his irises an icy blue. Lining his face from his ear to his jaw were several small protrusions in his skin made of cartilage or bone, and two more sat above his eyebrows. "You are parentless and without a guardian, and if our information is correct then you took up residence outside of the compound. Without our knowledge. How can we keep an eye on you and your progress when you are so out of reach? Without a guardian, it's improper for a young astrashiin user to be on her own. I think it best that you move back to the compound. We can assign someone to watch over you."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Willoria » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Ume did her best not to react to their stares, and especially not to anything said about her shiin. She dismissed them when they seemed to be done looking them over, though her eyebrow twitched a bit at the insinuation that Koyama had more valuable shiin. She knew from their point of view that might be true, but from hers that simply wasn't the case. Truth be told she had wanted a phasmashiin for some time, she simply hadn't told anyone that, especially Koyama. He might not have trusted her as much if he knew she actually had desires for specific shiin, especially when one of them was one he himself carried.

As another spoke up, Ume turned her attention to him but she bore no shock or surprise on her face. She wished she could have been, but this was something she had practically expected but her body language clearly tensed at the statements made. "I would prefer to stay where I am, and without a guardian." she said, knowing she might be interrupted. However she continued on, even if someone tried to interrupt her. Her hands had begun to shake again but she clasped them behind her back to steady herself and to hide it. "Both my parents tried at different times to kill me, and Koyama made clear to me that there is no one in this clan I can trust. Moving me back to the compound only makes me a bigger target. Assigning me a new guardian only makes that person a target and puts them in line to be killed trying to protect me, just as Koyama was."

She tried not to show how nervous she was to say what came next, but she simply couldn't help it. "There are only two people in this clan I still trust, and I will not be the downfall of anyone else. I am a Chunin and its past time for me to set aside being a child and a target. Its time for me to protect myself... Sink or Swim. And that is what I will do." her jaw tensed after she finished speaking as she grit her teeth, her lips closed as she did so. She was on edge, even on guard, silently wondering how they would take her newfound stubbornness. In the past she had only ever done what she was told, but she felt now that had made her a victim and left her to leave Koyama defenseless. She refused to do so again.

Kao

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Kao » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 am

A few council members did indeed try to interrupt her. There were indignant expressions, cold and harsh glares, but none of them really got a word in as Ume continued speaking. Her history with her parents was unfortunate, even the elders could admit that; despite the clan's dark practices, immediately family members going after one another wasn't something the clan often saw. But it gave the council even more reason to want to keep the girl close. Many members of the clan would do anything to get their hands on her astrashiin, and the elders were people who wanted those kinds of shiin to go to the right people. The clan's stability depended on shiin not falling into undesirable hands. It was the reason they so closely followed those with rare shiin and tried to get them in their palms. It was the reason they tried to get Tatsuo into their midsts; their failure in that thus far frustrated them, and it made Ume even more valuable.

Each of the council members levied heavy glares at her. They wanted to control her by having her within the compound, but it was clear that the girl wouldn't budge. If they wanted her among the Akari they could control, then they would have to loosen the reigns. For now. "Very well," the cold eyed elder said, but by the way he enunciated every syllable slowly, his tone dark and heavy, it was clear that he and the rest of the council was displeased. "We will not yet force you to return and take up residence within the compound. But when we summon you to our chambers, you will answer us promptly. We will conduct our own investigation into what you have told us, and we expect you to return for more questioning if needed."

"But don't think we will leave you unattended. It is unwise for any astrashiin user to go without protection, especially one so young and inexperienced as you. Not only that but you'll need to prepare for your eventual match in the Arena." The woman paused, and her face lit up. Her gaze then moved to Kotaru, who hadn't moved from his position. The girl said she only trusted two people in the clan, and since Kotaru had not only found her and pulled her from her drug binge but had also personally escorted her to their chambers, she had an idea who one of those two people may be. "Young Kotaru."

The boy's upper lip twitched into a brief snarl. "Granny Kanehara."

"You can help her with this. Check on her at her now empty home, make sure no one goes after her whenever she enters the compound. And make sure she doesn't have any...relapses that would compromise the health of her shiin." The woman, Kanehara, looked back to Ume with a small smile to her lips. She almost appeared smug. "Is this agreeable to you, Ume?"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Willoria » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:34 am

Some part of Ume of course wanted to smile like a victorious child as the point was conceded about where she lived, but she stifled the urge for several reasons. Most of which was the fact that this wasn't a victory. She was putting her foot down with the elders, and right now they might only be conceding due to perceived grief or perhaps some plan to draw her in some other way and knowing the Akari that way just wasn't going to be pleasant. "I will return when summoned, you have my word." she replied as it was made clear there would be an investigation into what she said. She had to admit though, the mention of her fighting in the arena sent a chill down her spine. She had heard what happened the day Kotaru and Tatsuo fought in the arena, the chaos that had ensued. It left her wondering how bad it would be when she did, but she stifled her concerns as Kotaru was addressed.

She had nearly admitted herself that Kotaru was one of the only two people in the clan she trusted, and of course the other was Tatsuo. She had hoped to keep that to herself but it was clear this elder, Kanehara, had puzzled that out easily enough. She glanced back at Kotaru as he was given his orders but if anything the only expression she held was something somber as she turned to look at the woman. "I understand that I will be checked on." she said rather coldly, almost as if it wasn't agreeable to her. Silently she hoped Kotaru realized the tone was simply her trying to keep from outright stating that Kotaru was someone she cared for. "But as stated I expect no one to die on my behalf ever again, if anyone is forced to protect me I wish to at least make that point clear."

Kao

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Kao » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Kotaru was seething. Despite his usual penchant to be combative toward anyone who he dislike, he had learned that Kanehara was not someone he should cross. In his mind he screamed insults and threats but he kept his mouth closed, his lips in a tight line. There was more than one reason why his expression was that of poorly contained anger, but the boy was mostly in such a state because the woman, with a single look, had made it clear that he wasn't being given the choice. Even though Ume had already declined a guardian, Kotaru had essentially been assigned to her anyway. Kotaru was falling deeper into her grasp, and he wasn't in the position to do anything about it.

Kanehara smiled and slowly removed her hands from atop the desk, hiding them in her sleeves. "My dear," she began, "you are an astrashiin wielder by birth. There will be many who will seek to kill you, and there will be others who will protect you. No matter what you expect, there will be people who will die for you. It will happen whether you want it it or not. That much, at least, is inevitable." The old woman paused to gauge Ume's reaction. She knew very little about this girl, but with Kotaru's help that would soon change. Kanehara looked to the elders around her and asked, "Is there anything else?" No one spoke.

"Good. You are dismissed. I expect to see you both very soon."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

[Closed] Sober & Home

Post by Willoria » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:12 am

Ume bristled internally at Kanehara's words. She despised the idea of anyone else dying on her behalf, and the fact that Kotaru was practically just appointed her new guardian made it even worse. She felt paranoid, she wanted to scream, in some ways she wanted to end herself then and there. If she could have dug out every shiin she held with a blade to keep another person from dying on her behalf, she would have done it immediately. But all of these thoughts and feelings she buried as deep into her mind as she possibly could, feeling a relief wash over her as she was dismissed. She gave a short bow before turning to leave the chamber, giving Kotaru an apologetic look as she went.

She would wait until they were away from the chamber before speaking to Kotaru, not wanting any of the others to hear her. "I don't give a damn what she says." she muttered. "I'd sooner dig out my shiin myself than have anyone else die for me... and that goes doubly for you." she remarked, swallowing hard. "If you got hurt trying to protect me, I'd never forgive you, or myself." Her hands were shaking as she walked, starting on the familiar path home and determined not to let herself break down until she had stepped through those doors.

Return to “Iwagakure no Sato”