[Plotboard 2] Walking The Road To Twilight

ShinobiTruth x Kao

ShinobiTruth

Post by ShinobiTruth » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:27 pm

For the first time in a while, Iwamaru's eyes were not in a clouded haze. A small glimmer of the boy's suppressed personality shimmered through. He grimly noted to himself how unsurprising it was that he was more focused. When it had to do with work or vengeance, even he could get past a bit of his inner turmoil and do what had to be done... He really was just like his dead father.

The one bright side to the emotional chaos and numbness that came with becoming a fresh orphan on the market was that you would go to great lengths to distract yourself from the thoughts and memories that torment you in still moments. This, along with the awakening he experienced upon contact with Kozaki's Samsara (he still had no way to explain what had happened there), had propelled him to the status of jounin at a frighteningly young age, having just turned 15 years old. With that rank came power, status, and authority, and though he knew it was brash to do so, he used those newfound powers to assure that he would be allowed to pursue any lead on the one that had attacked him and had insulted his mother's memory personally. When informed that he would need a shinobi who specialized in Tenkujutsu, he knew exactly who to call. They were set to meet at the entrance of the industrial district. Considering the number of mid-level to high-level faculty and representatives of the village passed through this district, it didn't surprise Maru that they'd find their first lead here. He berated himself, more harshly than he should have, for not thinking of it sooner himself.

He stretched and checked his equipment while he waited for Shizuo to arrive, he noted that, while still comfortable, his present attire was starting to become a bit too small to keep up with the strength of his body. He would have to look into getting new clothing, more suited for his frame and for his body which would undoubtedly undergo another growth spurt soon. He had to take these moments when he was clear-minded to ponder these things. When he was stuck in the mire that were his emotions, he found it much harder to get anything productive done. Even with his clarity partially restored to him, however, there was a frigid, hardened glint to his eyes. For as perceptive as Shizuo, it would be impossible for him not to notice... though that was assuming that he realized Iwamaru was even the same person, considering the intense aura he gave off.

Kao

Post by Kao » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:43 pm

Shizuo, truthfully, felt that he was stagnating. After the incident with Iwamaru, which ended in the man having to perform an on-the-fly possession removal along with curing a strange poison, the shinobi practically lived in his laboratory. The building had two rather large bathrooms with showering areas, and since he had added a couch that unfolded into a bed he could spend days in the lab without ever leaving. He somehow managed to make time for a quick mission or two and to almost obsessively train powerful elemental ninjutsu, which surprisingly led to a promotion to jounin - not that Shizuo particularly cared about his rank and status.

Besides a few instances of thinking 'Oh, right, I'm a jounin now, Shizuo felt like he hadn't changed much. His lifestyle hadn't changed. His work hadn't changed. He had made next to no progress on understanding the fading essence of the spirit he had captured that day with Iwamaru. It was frustrating, and the young man had broken more than a few glass flasks in his aggravation. He was so focused on his personal work that when he received a summons, he initially ignored it. It took incessant reminders from the creepy receptionists to finally wear him down enough to see what the notice was about, and he was both pleasantly surprised and deeply concerned that it had to do with his young friend.

On the designated day he wore his normal attire, and as usual he left the black beaded necklace behind, safely locked away. He made his way to the industrial district, stopping once or twice to chat with acquaintances and to grab a quick snack. Finally he arrived and spotted Iwamaru from afar, the boy standing with his back toward the older shinobi. Shizuo immediately notice the boy was quite...brawnier than he was the last time they had met. His shoulders were broader, arms were thicker, and he was overall a bit bigger than before. "Someone's been training, huh?" Shizuo said cheerfully once he was within earshot. He'd hoped Iwamaru had been well, especially considering the circumstances of their last and current meetings.
Kao's CharactersShow
Akari KotaruBanninIwagakure no Sato Team 18 Jousai [color=#1fb8a3]
Komiya ShizuoJounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#209DD3]
Yanagida Yukino Special Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#a07ac2]
Ishiwara SetsunaChuunin Iwagakure no Sato[color=#E81D1D]
Enkouten Mai Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#CE5412]
Aisu Namie Chuunin Kirigakure no Sato [color=#5bc2d4]
Awai FusaeA-Rank MNKonohagakure no Sato[color=#D95FEA]
Important NPCsShow
Akari Kanehara Akari clan elder [color=#80A0FF]
Sakata KannaIwagakure Councilwoman [color=#3DA43B]
Hazuki Shuran Jinchuuriki researcher [color=#E854C0]
Enkouten Kaizen Iwagakure councilman, clan leader [color=#C65871]
Rock Country Daimyo [color=#AC4A4A]

ShinobiTruth

Post by ShinobiTruth » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:08 pm

Maru turned around to see his compatriot approach. It seemed that Shizuo still had something he could take joy in. That was good. The boy knew that his internal conflict was eating away at him. Perhaps after this mission, he would go back to Mr. Seng and play the harp. It has been so long since he’d done so. Its dulcet tones might just be what he needed to bring back any semblance of the warmth and cheer he once had. He still didn’t understand how to feel about what had happened... and right now, he didn’t need to. He had a mission to focus on, and it was one where he had skin in the game.

The younger jounin’s eyes were far more serious than Shizuo was likely used to from him, but he managed to offer at least a nod and a firm handshake. ”Shizuo-san, it’s good to see you,” he acknowledged. ”Once again, I’m in need of your expertise... I think today’s the day we find them... Find him.”

The weight of those words would not be lost on Shizuo. There’s only one person Maru could possibly speak of with such controlled contempt.

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:41 pm

For a moment, his smile faltered. Shizuo was well aware of the personal stakes involved in this mission, but it concerned him how deeply it seemed to have affected his young comrade. He fidgeted with the cuff of his sleeve after giving a handshake that seemed out of place, too formal. But based on the boy's body language and words there would be no point in needless pleasantries. "Right. I'll be honest, I've hit a bit of a roadblock with my research lately. Today will be an...interesting change of pace."

He gave Iwamaru a long, heavy look, but instead of commenting forward he gestured toward the path in front of them. "So, where do we begin? I assume you have a plan already laid out."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

ShinobiTruth

Post by ShinobiTruth » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Maru nodded. "Right. That orb you gave me wasn't just sitting idly by while I was fighting the spirit that infected me. It took another sliver of my chakra, and ever since then, whenever I've held it, it seems to want to roll forward. And it's not only forward... but down... Shizuo-san, I think this orb, somehow, can lead us to the man that attacked me that day. It might even lead us to an important lead on the illegal spirit trading we've been trying to crack down on. I called for you because aside from your skill with Tenkujutsu... you're the only person I trust to help me with this. I know this is important to you, too."

Handing the orb to Shizuo, he continued. "You and I are the forward guard for a larger taskforce. We're also joint commanders, but I'm ceding to your direction, ultimately. I need someone who's gonna have a firm head on their shoulders... And I have to accept the possibility that I could become emotionally compromised. If I have you above me, no matter how bitterly I hate the order, I don't have the gall to disrespect you and disobey," Maru summarized bluntly.

Momentarily slipping the glove off of his hand, Maru presented a seal that Shizuo might recognize. "I had them put a tracking fuuin on me. When we've cleared the insertion point of hard targets, we'll signal the rest of the task force to come in. Other than that, we have to play by the cuff. We have no idea what kinds of traps they have there, and I couldn't think of anyone I'd want more by my side right now facing that. Do you have any questions about the operation before we head in? Based on the pulling from this orb, it seems like the industrial sector is our current destination."

It was easy to tell that Maru was anxious to get underway. There was a ferocious glint in his eye that Shizuo had probably never seen before, and while he had the sense of reason to temper his fury, it would certainly be off-setting if the fellow jounin resided on it too long.

Kao

Post by Kao » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:03 am

As Iwamaru spoke, Shizuo couldn't help but notice that the changes in the boy since the last time they met were beyond physical. For one, he didn't remember the younger jounin being quite so seemingly long-winded and tensely professional. Perhaps he was remembering it wrong - maybe he had always talked a lot when it was regarding a topic he was passionate about - but the longer his monologue went on the more something about Iwarmaru seemed off. Although Shizuo appreciated using time efficiently, he became more and more uncomfortable with the change in personality. But the white-haired jounin hid it well, and when Iwamaru handed him the orb Shizuo silently took it.

Turning it in his hand, he could still feel the power within it. For a moment he stopped listening to the boy, but when his partner mentioned becoming 'emotionally compromised' he looked up. Shizuo had no idea what would have prompted such a protocol, but it served as a window to Iwamaru's current state of mind and well-being. If he wasn't worried before then he certainly was now.

"Oh, I have questions. But many of them don't relate directly to the mission, and considering how eager - anxious - you seem about getting this started, I'll hold off on those for now." Shizuo was as tactful as he was intuitive; there was no need to dive into the depths of Iwamaru's psyche, which was so clearly wrought with turmoil, so long as it didn't interfere with their mission. "But I will say that I hope it doesn't come to me needing to give you any orders you don't agree with."

After giving Iwamaru a piercing look he would offer to return the orb back to Iwamaru. "You should hold on to that. You've had more time with it, so you'll probably be able to sense any changes in it better than I can. Let's get going then." With that Shizuo took off toward a pathway that spiraled underground. It was a quick route toward the industrial sector; within minutes they were surrounded by the underground factories and warehouses that littered the area. The orb pulsed as if in anticipation as they made their way through the sector. "Anything?" he asked, looking over at Iwamaru and nodding at the orb. He admittedly was unsure exactly where their destination was, and he hoped that Iwamaru would provide more insight when they seemed close.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

ShinobiTruth

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:24 pm

Maru nodded in compliance. He was thankful that Shizuo wasn't trying to pry. Honestly, Maru wasn't really sure how much he could really discuss with Shizuo about everything that had happened recently. How do you explain that you're tracking down someone who tried to kill you and mocked your mother's memory while also dealing with being a freshly-minted orphan? How, especially when he didn't even know what to feel? Even if it was only fleeting, this desire to destroy the person who'd nearly killed him was at least better than feeling the constant numbness he'd been mired in ever since he'd been given the news. That's all he wanted right now.

He didn't care if it was hatred. He just wanted to feel something.

Without another word, Maru followed after Shizuo, paying close heed to the emanations and pull of the orb. Right now, there was simply the mission. Right now, this was all that mattered. This was his responsibility. Shizuo's inquiry would be answered quickly. "We're headed in the right direction, but it's still pulling down on my hand as well. It's still a little deeper," he replied.

As they entered the tunnel to go deeper, there was a sudden sharp pull downward as they reached a junction in paths before them. "Hold," he stated calmly, immediately skidding to a stop. Though the lighting was dim, it was clear that the orb was moving violently in his palm. Setting the orb down, he watched it as it seemed to roll listlessly in circles for a few seconds before quickly rolling straight for the wall approximately a hundred paces away. Keeping a wide berth from the orb's position, he looked to Shizuo. "There shouldn't be anything beyond that wall except nearly a mile of rock. Do you have any chakra-sensory techniques?" Maru asked.

While Maru was in the process of training his chakra sensory skills, he hadn't refined them yet to the point where he could fully utilize them in a combat scenario. He had to rely on Shizuo's talents to detect any traps of a spiritual nature or otherwise.

Return to “Iwagakure no Sato”