Venus Blue

Kat and Kao Time

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:22 pm

Something about paperwork made Kotaru feel ill. As someone who preferred to be in the field, being stuck behind a desk and faced with piles of files and folders made the boy's stomach churn. Not only was he saddled with paperwork for the day, but it wasn't even his paperwork. On a frigid autumn afternoon he sat in someone else's office, at someone else's desk, filling in for someone who had been called away by the village council. There had been an emergency a week prior- something dire that very few people the village had been made aware of. Being one of Iwagakure's newest bannin, Kotaru of course had the privilege of being in the loop, and he had been tasked with keeping things in order while the council - at least, what remained of it - figured out a plan.

The Akari grumbled as he raced through several files and tossed them into a pile. One of his tasks that day was to review an impressive amount of recent mission reports. Several shinobi had been in and out of the office already, boring him with the minutia of their accounts. He was expecting one or two more in-person reports but the bannin was so focused on finalizing and signing forms that he hadn't read ahead to see who exactly was coming.

A heavy knock on the door was barely enough to break his concentration. Without looking up he barked, "What?"

"Lord Akari, someone is here for you."

"Send 'em in," he replied as he turned a page, signing his name with a flourish and then moving on to the next file.
Kao's CharactersShow
Akari KotaruBanninIwagakure no Sato Team 18 Jousai [color=#1fb8a3]
Komiya ShizuoJounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#209DD3]
Yanagida Yukino Special Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#a07ac2]
Ishiwara SetsunaChuunin Iwagakure no Sato[color=#E81D1D]
Enkouten Mai Jounin Iwagakure no Sato [color=#CE5412]
Aisu Namie Chuunin Kirigakure no Sato [color=#5bc2d4]
Awai FusaeA-Rank MNKonohagakure no Sato[color=#D95FEA]
Important NPCsShow
Akari Kanehara Akari clan elder [color=#80A0FF]
Sakata KannaIwagakure Councilwoman [color=#3DA43B]
Hazuki Shuran Jinchuuriki researcher [color=#E854C0]
Enkouten Kaizen Iwagakure councilman, clan leader [color=#C65871]
Rock Country Daimyo [color=#AC4A4A]

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

Venus Blue

Post by Willoria » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:32 pm

The work had been enjoyable, over recent months Ume found more and more she had a better stomach for violence than she had before. In the past she had been so hesitant, but certain events seemed to have pushed her away from her discomforts about it all and slowly she found her own joys in it. She walked up to the door and noticed the glare she received as a man went to announce her. It took her a moment but glancing down she realized what the look was for. Certainly she was fresh back from a mission paperwork in hand, but this meant blood still stained her finger tips and parts of her clothing. As he went to knock on the door, Ume took a quick assessment of herself and was satisfied that the paperwork was still clean. 'I don't need my ass reamed out over that yet again...' she thought to herself, shaking her head just as she heard that voice.

Briefly, outside the door, she froze in place. The man beside her gave her a nudge and she blinked herself back to reality, stepping into the room as she confirmed what worried her about the voice. It was Kota at the desk before her. Ume swallowed hard, leaving her mask and hood in place, but a moment later she steeled herself for what was coming and set the paperwork in front of him. "Akari Ume reporting in." she said quietly, the room quiet enough between her words that one could have heard a pin drop. "Mission was a success, target eliminated." she said simply.

The mission she was handing in had been easy enough, at least in concept. The target was a merchant who had been found to not only be doing his usual duties of bartering, but seemed to trade in information as well. It was suspected he had been spying for another nation, but the part that simplified things was that he had not thought to increase security with this new work. With the paperwork Ume handed in a couple of scrolls that she had found on the man as well. The example had been set, and the man had been slain, along with most of his staff though that had been an unnecessary addition on Ume's part for her own amusement.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:57 pm

The sound of her voice made his heart leap into his throat before he could even fully process who she was. He looked up with his pen paused just above the paper, and was greeted by the sight of a hooded woman, her face hidden behind a mask. For the briefest moment his eyes widened and his lips parted in surprise, but the young shinobi quickly put on his own mask. It was one of cold professionalism, a kind of icy stare that had been carefully practiced and perfected. But there was suddenly a crack in his façade.

He extended his hand and looked back down at his paperwork, if only to reassure himself that he had successfully regained his composure. "Surprised to see you here. Most of the mission reports today have been the bloody kind." The Akari allowed himself to look up again, his eyes quickly finding her blood-stained fingers. "But it looks like yours isn't an exception." He gave her a moment to pass the report and scrolls to him, and once she did he would flip through them, being careful not to look her in the eyes. He hadn't seen her in months - it felt like years, honestly - and now wasn't the best time to revisit the past.

But this wouldn't be the first time Kotaru let his emotions and personal desires get the better of him, and his façade cracked once more.

"You know. Most people remove their masks when they make their reports," he lied as easily as he breathed, "especially when they're going to be in the office for a while explaining why they took the liberty of killing more people than what was necessary."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

Venus Blue

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:08 am

Ume did what she could to keep from reacting as he spoke, but she could see he was as taken aback by her sudden arrival as she had been to find him here. A tension began to leak into the air she felt could only be the result of both of them trying to maintain a composure. She found herself wondering silently if it was entirely necessary, but as her mind chose to remind her of her own wrongs, she realized that she found this wholly necessary. She raised an eyebrow as he mentioned her mask. She had never removed it when reporting before, and kne it was likely a lie but she found the remark intriguing. It wasn't just because of what he said, but she wondered about his motivation behind it. Did he hope to gain some kind of comfort from her face? She knew he wasn't going to find it.

She knew if he was seeking comfort, he wasn't going to get it. "My apologies." she said coolly, reaching up a hand to pull her hood back. Her hair had been tucked within it, and so it fell about her face when it was removed, but then she reached up and removed the mask. Her lips and chin even seemed stained as well, but the greatest change became more apparent as she spoke once more. Her teeth had all been sharpened to points. "It was necessary." she remarked. "There was no way to know if he had shared sensitive information with his men as well, the variable had to be eliminated." She couldn't help the small smirk that pulled at her lips and made her teeth more apparent. "It's always nice when duty and fun line up so perfectly."
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:32 am

As her hair fell around her face, a touch of lavender wafted through the air. Kotaru inhaled slowly, deeply, being careful to do so without much movement from his chest. The scent was mixed with the metallic and earthy smell of blood; to most it would be off-putting, but it made a corner of his lips turn upwards slightly which forced him to raise a hand to his face to hide his lips behind. He moved his elbow to the desk top to make his efforts to hide the change in his expression less obvious. No sooner than he did so, his gaze shot to the girl's teeth.

He nearly chuckled. "Duty and fun," he echoed. "You seem to have Ume's face and even use the same shampoo, but not her distaste for blood. The Ume I remember has a weak stomach. Sit." The tone of his command gave no room for argument, and although a single drop of amusement had crept into his stare, surrounding it was authority and steel that didn't tolerate being told no.

He stared at her until she took a seat in front of him, and once she did he inhaled sharply. "I didn't know you were taking missions again. I can't say I keep up with...certain things and people, but it hasn't been long since you've been back." He pretended to occupy himself by reading through one of the scrolls, but he wasn't taking in a single word of the information written there. "So you kill people for fun now. What else should I know about my newest temporary subordinate?"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

Venus Blue

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:42 am

Her raised eyebrow returned as he echoed her statements. Even she couldn't help a chuckle as he spoke of who she used to be. He wasn't wrong, she couldn't stand blood previously, she couldn't stand when she had to consume a shiin, but in recent days that had changed. Even now the blood staining her lips were because she chose to terrify a target by ripping out the throat of another, rather than using her weapons. As he instructed her to sit, she did, her back straight and rigid against the chair, her purple eyes still fixated on him as she watched him. Details didn't escape her notice, such as the way he moved to hide his own reactions, the chuckle he held back, and even the fact that he wasn't reading his paperwork at all.

She bit back what she wanted to say, a joke about him potentially stalking her since they last met. But she knew he hadn't, she was careful not to be followed within in the village, knowing how highly coveted her astrashiin was by members of her clan. She might not have noticed if someone as high ranking as Kota chose to follow her, but she would have noticed the way people around him might have reacted to it, some sliver of a hint, or perhaps her ego fooled her into thinking she would have. "I work alone." she told him simply as he asked her about anything new about her. "I don't like teams, they're a distraction at best. I prefer assassinations. I can get up close and personal as I did on this one, or I can simply use my bow from afar if necessary... though that's less fun." she added, sighing to herself as she looked at him a moment.

"You smile more than you used to, that's good." she remarked, tilting her head slightly as she looked at him. "You have to try harder to be as cold as you used to be. That's good too."
Jutsu UsedShow
Fukurō no Tsume :: Intuition
C-rank Taijutsu Discipline
Ume has trained herself to pick up on the subtle tells that people give off when they tell lies, such as body language and microexpressions, small audible tells such as nervous laughs or sighs, and eye movement. This technique allows Ume to tell when someone is lying, whether it's to her or anyone around her, as long as she is paying close attention to the situation at hand. This can be fooled by someone with a technique meant to hide their tells so long as the jutsu is of a higher rank than this one.

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:03 am

"And you're more uptight than you used to be," he retorted, finally giving up on paying any attention to her report and tossing it aside. Just as she had noticed things about him, he had noticed the way she stiffly sat in the chair and didn't even bother to make a sassy comment as he had half expected. Not only that, but the absence of some of her old body language was jarring. No longer did she look at him with a softness in her gaze, with a barely concealed longing that pulled at his resolve. It bothered him.

"And I am not smiling." Which was certainly untrue since with those words his smirk briefly reached his eyes. But the moment passed, and Kotaru's smile faded. "I'm more or less the same as I've always been. But you're not. At all." He didn't have to ask what happened to her. He remembered all too clearly the day he round her in Rock Country, how she had been a girl who had clearly fallen apart. He remembered the disastrous reunion between her and Tatsuo, and how it had affected him more than he had cared to admit. He had put her out of his mind, buried her by burying himself in other girls, and until now he had nearly forgotten about her.

He was surprised that it seemed that maybe she had forgotten about him, too.

Suddenly, Kotaru stood up from the desk, making his way to the other side so that he stood directly in front of Ume. He could feel himself cracking further as he stared at her as if trying to read her, analyze and deconstruct her. He said nothing for a long moment, waiting for her to refute him or to agree, or to do something besides sit in front of him as stiffly as a statue.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

Venus Blue

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:16 am

She couldn't help it. He called her uptight, and the girl outright snorted, followed by her quickly covering her mouth with a hand and clearing her throat to regain her composure. She thought about poking at him further as he insisted he wasn't smiling, but he quickly become serious once more and spoke further of how much she had changed. The silence that fell between them carried with it a tension still as before, a tension that almost felt like it was rising. "I had to change." she remarked simply. "Adapt, or die. Everyone around me taught me that." she remarked quietly, a hand straying to her necklace with the red crystal briefly.

When he stood suddenly she found she had to hold back a flinch, sighing to herself at her moment of weakness. 'He still relaxes me... shit...' she thought to herself, hating the way she had let her guard down even for a moment. She kept her eyes on him, watching as he moved to stand in front of her. Still sitting she had to look up at him to see him, it was a bit odd really, and silently she wondered just what he was planning to do or say.

Unlike Kotaru, she had not taken her losses by burying herself in others, men or women, instead she hadn't seen anyone since. The closest she had ever come to kissing anyone had been as a distraction on mission. After Koyama died in her arms, after she lost Tatsuo and Kotaru both, the girl had practically gone celibate. Perhaps that was why she was so curious about just what he was planning as he stood over her. He was close enough now that she could catch the faint scent of mint coming off of him and she had to hide a bit of a smirk. Out of sheer curiosity and her ornery nature the girl stood up and took a step forward, tilting her head downwards to look Kotaru in the eyes. If he didn't move it would leave barely any space between them. "Was there something else you needed for my report?"

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:31 am

The bannin fought back the urge to remind her of her lineage. As an Akari, their entire lives revolved around adapting and surviving. But neither of them, her especially, needed to be reminded of that fact. It was evident in the sudden, brief shift in her tone that bringing up the clan would not lead to productive conversation. Still, it was strange to see how much she had changed in such a short period of time, how closely her demeanor was to his own.

When she stood over him, he didn't flinch. Their eyes met and he held her gaze as if daring her to be the first to look away. He was fully aware that the distance between them was minuscule, and even though a tiny voice in the back of his head urgently cleared its throat, the young shinobi didn't back away. Instead he took another deep breath, this time allowing his upper body to expand with the motion. It was a calculated and purposeful move, one that brought their faces even closer.

When he spoke, his lips grazed against hers with every word. "Of course. Your report is longer than expected, and I didn't get through with reading that last scroll. And considering you engaged in the unauthorized elimination of several people, I'll need you to verbally tell me what's in that last report. It'll help me make sure that what you tell me here is the same as what's written down."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

Venus Blue

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:20 am

'Well.... file that one under backfired...' Ume thought to herself as his lips grazed against her. The feel of him of his breath even against her, in this position where she could smell the mint lingering on him even stronger, sent a shiver down the girl's spine. It took everything she had to hide it, and she was fairly certain she hadn't been entirely successful. She wanted to give in, hardly registering what he said as she felt her eyes begin to close and her body shift ever so slightly forward.

But it was as if the memories suddenly came crashing in. Her breath hitched in her throat as she remembered the last time she had kissed him, and the fallout had followed. Suddenly she took a step back and moved away from Kotaru, walking around behind the chair to put it between them as she mentally hided herself. For a moment she didn't say a word, resting her blood-stained hands on the back of the chair and looking down at it as she finally processed what Kotaru had actually said, and not just the feel of his lips. "There isn't much to explain." she finally said, letting out a slow breath. "The merchant was close to his men. As I worked to get close to him, I overheard several conversations. He spent a great deal of time with them, not just being guarded but also eating, drinking, they generally seemed to spend every moment together. I realized then it was possible he shared information with them, and the information needed to die with them. The example needed to be set." When she was certain she had set her own will into steel she lifted her eyes finally to look at Kotaru once more.

"He was the priority and so I took him out first, along with his two guards just outside the room. From there was easy, the idiot had rented out an entire inn to himself. It only made it easier... though I'm afraid the innkeeper woke up to a horror show." she looked at Kotaru a moment as she watched him for a reaction. "I left the innkeeper and his family alive, they were unconnected and innocent in the matter. So you don't have to worry about if I killed innocence, I still have more control than that."

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:59 pm

Kotaru wasn't sure whether to sigh in frustration or relief. After Ume took a step back he did so as well, leaning against the desk with his hands firmly gripping the wooden edge. He didn't actually care about her detailed explanation. The demand for her to tell him more about the mission had been purely a ruse to see if she was still able to be rattled by his proximity. Based on they way her eyes had briefly begun to flutter closed just before she rushed to put distance between them, the answer was almost certainly yes. It seemed that perhaps she hadn't completely moved on from him.

When Ume met his gaze again she would find a blank expression staring back at her. The length of her recollection had given Kotaru more than enough time to drain all semblance of emotion from his face. She had missed when he had cut his eyes away from her to glare at the wall as he wrestled with feelings of disappointment and irritation that he even felt such disappointment. He silently picked up one of the scrolls once more, turning it in his hands for a while before responding. "I'll verify that later then. There needs to be a follow-up in the area since civilians typically find blood and cleaning up corpses traumatic. That and we need to make sure the innkeepers are properly compensated for the trouble. Since that's clearly not your cup of tea, I'll send someone else to do that."

The Akari turned his back on her to walk around the desk, his fingers absentmindedly brushing against his lips. When he sat down and looked at her once more his gaze had softened. Considerably. "I'm glad you have control. It makes things easier." He wasn't sure if she would pick up the double meaning behind his words. "Anything else you need from me, Ume?"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

Venus Blue

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Ume herself couldn't understand why in that moment, but as she looked up and saw Kotaru's blank expression she could feel a flood of emotions she had to fight to put down. Memories of a dark and dank room outside the village where he had comforted her, she had admitted to him how she felt she should have died, and he had begged her to realize she had a right to live. The part that stuck out in her mind were the promises before they had left. She had begged him not to ignore her again, and he had promised not to. His promise echoed in her mind as Kotaru now mentioned her having control and she couldn't help a snort of laughter, especially with what he said next. It was as if she couldn't stop the words that came out of her mouth. "What I need from you has never had importance, why would it now?" The question was under her breath and she caught herself blushing lightly at the momentary lapse as she shook her head as she suddenly tried to forget it all.

"No." she said, clearly an attempt to correct herself. "Unless you have more questions, I have nothing further to report." she said coldly. 'Why the hell can he still unsettle me? Why do I relax around him at all?' she did her best to remind herself of her most recent mantra. 'I am nothing. I am no one. I am empty.' Taking a deep breath to steel herself, she would turn for the door unless otherwise stopped.

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:52 pm

The rough scraping of the wooden chair against the floor sliced through the tension, and before Ume could reach the door Kotaru was already there in a flash of movement, blocking the only way out. His teeth gnawed at the inside of his left check which twisted his lips into a distorted frown. Her words felt like a slap in the face and his mask finally crumbled. "I don't remember dismissing you yet," he growled, his voice dangerously low. "You're fucking laughing, Ume? I haven't seen you in months and you show up bloody and callous. You can't take a page out of my book and expect me to not be able to read it."

Once he started, he couldn't stop. "I carried you back from bumfuck-nowhere town after you went missing and fell apart. I went out of my way to make sure you were halfway lucid and then carried you back to the village. I went with you to see those hag Akari elders to make sure they didn't try anything. Then I went back to that town and two towns not far from it and cleaned them up so that it wouldn't happen again. I did all that for you, Ume. So don't you fuckin' mumble under your breath about how what you need from me hasn't been important. I asked you what you need not cause I'm your boss or whatever, but because I give a shit even when I shouldn't."

Though he had only touched the surface of what he really thought he roughly stepped around Ume, away from the door and back toward the desk. "Did you forget, Ume? You're the one that walked away. You made the assumption that I didn't want you around when you left Tats's place and you made it clear that you didn't wanna be followed. You're the one that walked away this time so don't put that shit on me." The bannin sat down then, chair turned away from her so that he didn't have to see her. "Whatever. Go ahead and leave then. Keep thinking that if you want."
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

Venus Blue

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:11 pm

It took everything within Ume not to physically respond to Kotaru's sudden movements. Anyone else, no matter the rank, she would have responded violently to such a move. But some part of her still knew he wouldn't physically hurt her, and instead she remained rooted to the spot as he went off on her. As he continued she lifted a hand and put her mask back into place carefully, a moment later pulling her hood up over her head and carefully tucking her hair into it. It wasn't that she wasn't listening, it was that she knew if she didn't do something she might break down at his words just like she used to always do. She needed the movements to distract herself, to keep her mind off the swirling emotions inside her own head as her eyes remained fixed on him.

She waited for a break in his words, waited for him to get done, and finally spoke even though his back was to her. "I am bloody and callous because it is what I have to be." she told him quietly. "I walked away because it is what I was under the impression I had to do. I lost Koyama because of what I did to Tatsuo and to you." she added, turning away from the door to look at the back of his chair. "You did a hell of a lot for me, Kota... but sticking around you, I would have caused even more problems between you and Tatsuo... so I left. I lost Koyama. I lost Tatsuo. I lost you. All in different ways, for different reasons. I deserved that punishment for what I did." Behind her mask she chewed on her lip a moment, seeming to forget the state of her teeth and drawing blood without a thought, and hardly feeling it.

"I lost everything... and realized it could be worth it if I didn't fuck up your life, if it meant you were happy." She couldn't help a small wry laugh as she looked down at the floor for a moment. "You know, you never told me before the kind of clarity that came with this demeanor... maybe I adopted it because its all I have left of you... but if I'd had it before I might have realized..." She paused, shaking her head suddenly and almost chuckling in embarrassment. "Nevermind, it won't change anything now."

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:46 pm

The shinobi didn't want to hear any of this. He would rather literally deafen himself with chakra for the rest of the day than listen to her frame her actions as if she was protecting anyone other than herself. He was fully aware how her very presence could strain his complicated relationship with Tatsuo and how one selfish action on his part had nearly disassembled the strongest friendship he had ever had. For a moment he wondered if his how Tatsuo and Mitsuo had felt when Kotaru was completely submerged in his pit of self-loathing and isolation. It must have felt like pulling teeth from a dragon.

"That's fuckin' bullshit and you know it. 'All you have left of me'? I was right there. What part of that are you not understanding?" He turned his head slightly toward her but his body still mostly faced the wall, away from her. "You might have realized what? What, Ume? That the only thing you're gonna accomplish by punishing yourself all the time is being alone? Take it from someone who knows, being alone all the time with nothing but your thoughts sucks ass."

He waved his hand in the air, gesturing toward her while still not really looking at her. "This new attitude doesn't suit you. I liked how you were before, when you had some self-awareness and didn't have to hide behind a hood. When you-" He faltered, his words devolving into a growl. "You've changed plenty and there's always room for more of it, so go ahead, spit it out. Say what's really on your mind." He wanted her to lose her composure for a moment, to show him that despite this unbecoming change that somewhere behind that mask was the girl who had made him throw caution to the wind.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

Venus Blue

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:59 pm

For her part it had felt more like she was talking about a memory, feeling a melancholy as she thought about how she'd felt towards him. But somehow he always managed to turn that into rage in her, and this moment was no different. He went off on her again and she stayed in that doorway, staring at the back of his chair as she felt the walls keeping her calm slowly crumbling. And those walls crumbled with a thunder all their own.

Maybe the first rumble was when she threw one of her push daggers at him, purposely aiming for the chair with a yell of rage. If he hadn't been sitting in it the impact might have sent it into a wall, but as angry as she was she was controlled enough to not aim for Kotaru himself, and smart enough to know he could easily hurt her for it or worse if she had.

Or maybe the true thunder came when she snapped off the words at him she had stifled. "That I was in love with you! Okay?!" Her hands went wide in desperation and frustration that he had managed to break her figurative mask once again. "I tried to stay with Tatsuo because that was what was right! But what really broke me, what ate at me, was that I was in love with you! And THAT is what I actually lost!" It wasn't until her own voice cracked that she realized tears had begun to stream down her face and she cursed under her breath at it. "Dammit." She reached up with both hands to pull her mask down again that she might wipe the tears from her face quickly.

"How the fuck does this keep happening when I'm around you... I haven't cried in weeks, but then this shit..." she shook her head and finally looked at Kotaru again.

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm

His immediate reaction was purely a reflex. As soon as the dagger lodged itself into the chair with a heavy thunk, Kotaru's fingers found its way around the handle and he was on his feet, sending papers and files flying as he readied himself to throw the weapon right back at her. Luckily the strings of self-control pulled him back and stopped him before the dagger could fly from his grip. That, and her words stopped him dead in his tracks.

His throat went bone dry, his jaw fell, and the dagger in his hand clattered loudly as it hit the floor. He looked to his left then to his right, almost as if desperately looking for someone to help him figure out his next move. But of course, the two were completely alone in the large office, and it was up to him to decide what to do or say. At first he stood impossibly still, staring straight ahead with glazed-over eyes.

Love?

That wasn't something he was at all familiar with and he couldn't say for certain that he even understood it. Is that what this was - love? - something that hurt and drove him crazy, confused him and made him doubt himself. It made him want someone who was completely off limits but he found himself wanting anyway - damn the consequences - even though another part of him wanted to be more logical. Ume was right in front of him, within reach and confessing, and he had no idea what to do.

He blinked once, twice, trying his hardest to emerge from his head and the uncertainty that had clouded it. Hesitantly, he walked toward her, his breaths coming in quick, shallow puffs when he stopped just in front of her. Kotaru reached up with one hand to take both of hers, then used the other to wipe her cheek. "There she is: the crybaby I fell for even when I didn't want to." He pulled her closer, thought better of it, and then rethought it once more. Eventually he settled leading her towards the desk so he could sit on top of it and keep her close.

"Gotta say. Wasn't expecting you to say that. But I can't uh...I can't give you a real response until I figure some things out. As much as I want you, right now, on this desk...I don't know if it's a good idea." Despite his words his hands had wandered and had found her hips. He wasn't good with words and didn't quite understand love, but he was aching to show her that her feelings weren't necessarily unrequited.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

Venus Blue

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:20 pm

However she had expected him to react, it hadn't been this. He walked over to her and though she had heard her dagger hit the ground some part of her flinched as if she'd expected him to approach with it. Instead his hands took both of hers, and she felt him touch her cheek. She looked up from the floor and looked at him, briefly remembering the day he had found her drugged up, and had taken her face into his hands to see if it was really her. Naturally his statement still managed to illicit a short chuckle out of her. "I don't know if crybaby is the right word when its usually you making me cry." she retorted, still chuckling to herself. She hadn't missed what he'd said, his mention of falling for her, but some part of her still had trouble believing it even if it was how she felt about him.

He led her back towards the desk, and she shook her head as he spoke again. "You don't need to respond." she said quietly. "I never... I never meant to say it but you just made me so damn mad..." she shook her head and chuckled again, sniffling as she looked at him. "I know its all a bad idea... I know its impossible. What happened with us, when I was dating Tatsuo, its poisoned any chance we might've had. Plus he might as well be your brother its just..." she shook her head sadly and looked at him a moment. "That's why I wasn't going to say it, because admitting this can't change anything... I just..." her words trailed off as she slowly realized where his hands were and she felt an old temptation rise.

Though there had certainly been moments where she had had to do certain things on missions to get near targets, it still felt as if she hadn't been touched in months. She had sworn off relationships and personal hook ups or anything of the kind. Her hands shifted and moved to run her fingertips over his forearms. She already found herself comfortable with his hands on her hips, and the lack of space between them.

But as a thought occurred to her she couldn't help a wry smile. "I guess sometimes getting assigned desk duty isn't so bad huh..." she remarked, knowing how much he had to have hated getting stuck in this office initially.

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:05 pm

"Who says it's impossible? How you feel is out in the open now. Unless Tats challenges me to a duel to the death for you then there's a chance. There's no way to know for sure until I figure everything out." With a slow, dramatic eye roll he added, "Y'know, all this talk about Tatsuo is really trying to kill my boner." He shifted his hands so that they rested on her backside, giving her a gentle squeeze. The feelings of her fingertips on his arm had sent a pleasant shiver down his spine to his groin, and it took everything within him to not give in. "Might be for the best though. I don't think he'd appreciate me taking you on his desk." With that he leaned in closer and allowed a rare, genuine smile to grace his features.

Kotaru might not have been an expert when it comes to verbally expressing feelings, but he definitely wanted to show her how much he wanted her. But not here. Definitely not. Still, he could hardly help himself. "I don't think that's the kind of desk duty I'm supposed to be doing, Ume. That would be wildly unprofessional. Not to mention that our best chance at this is to not do anything. As hard as that might be." Reluctantly he dropped his hands to his lap, but their placement didn't do much to hide how hard something truly was.

"I should probably get back to work. Unless there's anything else you want to take care of?"
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow

Willoria

Venus Blue

Post by Willoria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Part of Ume wanted to argue, but as he revealed the desk he was sitting at was actually Tatsuo's she couldn't help a snort, that and his remarks about his more obvious issue down south. "Yeah I don't think he'd forgive that at all." she joked, shaking her head. What surprised her though was when he leaned in closer and smiled, she wasn't sure she had ever seen such an expression on his face and for a moment she couldn't help just staring at him and enjoying it. When he spoke of professionalism she couldn't help shaking her head. "Yeah... given all the yelling I think we already gave your subordinates plenty of a show, let's not give them more of one." she remarked, blushing lightly as he moved his hands and she took notice of his particular issue.

Shaking her head at his last question she couldn't help another laugh. "You mean need to... if I did what I wanted I'd still be here awhile." she remarked quietly, reaching out a hand to touch the side of his face, her thumb trailing across his lips. "I think if I stay much longer we're just going to make it harder on ourselves." she added, chuckling to herself. "I should go." She turned for the door once more, this time shaking her head and silently wondering. 'Did that all just happen?'

Kao

Venus Blue

Post by Kao » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:52 pm

It seemed like every touch from Ume sent a shockwave throughout his entire body. Even an innocent touch to the side of his face had him thinking about the fastest way he could get her naked. They weren't terribly far from his house and he could certainly get them there in the blink of an eye. But he resigned himself to remain dutiful, loyal. So he let her go, giving her a small wave as she turned to the door. He wanted to stop her, but his hold on his self-control was already weak at best. Instead he let her leave, sighing heavily when the door closed behind her.

He hopped off the desk, lifting his leg to the side so that he could readjust himself. To say he was uncomfortable now was an understatement, but he would have to take care of his problem later. With a groan he settled back into the chair to complete his paperwork. It was hard to stay focused since his mind and hand wanted to wander, but he forced himself to get back to work. His personal life could wait.
Kao's CharactersShow
Important NPCsShow