Open Up Your Eyes

Kat + ShinobiTruth (Closed)

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:20 am

The subtle warmth of summer crept through the stone floor of Maru's quarters as he awoke from his slumber. He'd kept to such a rigid routine over the course of the past four months that his internal clock was wired to awaken at the same time, lack of obligations be damned. The last month had been especially strict, in an effort to repress the memory of watching his musical mentor, secretly a vile criminal, being led away in chains. Most would expect someone of his age to be brimming with vibrant, glowing energy, pursuing his dreams with reckless abandon, bumping himself along the way but learning from the bruises and rising from the ashes to become a man.

Reality was far grimmer. He was already a man, in his eyes at least. Life had forced him to grow far faster than either he or those around him would have hoped.

Not allowing the remnants of fatigue to constrain him with such meddlesome notions as thinking, he smoothly rose from his cot to grab a towel and strip down. He made certain to constantly be moving in the shower, scrubbing, lathering, rinsing. Maru had found that even momentary pauses were spaces where the unsettling thoughts that sought to torture his mind could slip in. After having been bound in the grips of such debilitating contemplations, he promised himself he'd never let that happen again. He wouldn't ever feel that helpless again, even if it meant never addressing those issues. Even if it meant not feeling anything anymore. There was nothing else but the schedule, no more but the routine. That's the only thing that mattered. Eat. Train. Fight. Sleep. That was the mission. That was life.

That's all that needed to be important.

Drying himself off and putting on a fresh set of clothes, Maru took a few strips of bland jerky and left his quarters, heading straight for the training grounds. As he headed through the mess hall, packed full with his brethren, he heard the whispers around him as he walked past, even among the otherwise raucous plethora of conversations. The newer initiates voiced discontent at his stiffness and cold nature, assuming it was an air of superiority. The more veteran members of Jousai scolded those voices, knowing better. Either way, Maru paid no heed. Their thoughts of him were unimportant for his training.

There was one person, however, who he didn't expect to see this morning. Considering Ichi's ever-constant post as the guard for the entrance to Jousai headquarters, even Maru's otherwise expressionless eyes couldn't hide the surprise at seeing him, squarely barring Maru's way to the training grounds. Taking a deep breath, Maru greeted his brother-in-arms as he came to a stop. "Ichi-san," he offered.

Ichi shook his head. "You know, rest is just as much a part of training as the training itself is," he scolded. "You're gonna work yourself to death if I don't stop you."

Maru exhaled slowly. Much as he hated it, Ichi was right. Still, Maru was not so easily dissuaded. "I do with my free time what I see fit, Ichi-san. I'm certain another day won't kill me," the boy objected, moving to walk past Ichi.

Maru's second surprise of the day was the solid palm that stopped him in his tracks and shoved him back, Maru's feet skidding on the stone floor. The last time he had sparred with Ichi, it hadn't even been a contest, and Maru was considerably stronger than that day. The fact that Ichi not only stopped him but forced him back was such a foreign concept to the boy that he could not hide his shock. How much had Ichi trained since then? No, rather... did he even fight him at full strength during their last match?

Ichi was unshaken, unlike the boy. "You're not walking down these steps today," he stated, the tone in his voice leaving no room for questions. "Go get your cloak and walk down into the city. I don't care what else you do, but don't you dare train. Got it?"

A bloom of hot frustration started to blossom in his chest, but he stamped it out with an unfeeling cold. Instead, after a considerable pause, he spoke. "Why are you doing this?" Maru asked, perhaps tone-deaf to how cruel such a question could be.

Ichi sighed, clearly saddened by the boy's emotional state. "A warrior that hides from the battles within isn't a warrior at all, Maru. I don't know where you'll find what you need to face those demons within you... but it's certain that, right now at least, you won't find it here. Now, get out of here. And I better not see you for at least half of the day, got it?"
Very unsurprisingly, the walk down from headquarters was much more calming than being in the thick of the marketplace. The cloak on his shoulders helped hide his otherwise imposing physique, practically being a wall of muscles chiseled out of stone at the ripe old age of sixteen years, but it was nigh impossible to hide how unsettled he was at being around so many people. After isolating himself for so long (relatively speaking), being around so many people, so many emotions... it was unnerving, to say the least.

Still, standing around wouldn't do much. Slowly walking forward, he swept his surroundings eyeing various stalls and storefronts, looking for... something. He wasn't certain what Ichi expected him to find here other than reminders of a life that felt long since past. People of many different, ages, creeds, and walks of life sold their wares, the loud din of their voices serving as their own place to hide. If he just walked forward, they might shoot him weird glances, but they would otherwise pay him no mind. It would become just another place to hide away from the world... another retreat.

Maru sighed. Ichi meant well, but it seemed his efforts weren't going to pay off any time soon.

Willoria
User flair: Heart of Gold, Encased in Stone.

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Reina's day had started off well enough. It was a rare day off of training and studying, and the girl had vowed to make the most of it. Of course, she meant to make the most of it alone. She had risen early and done her hair, proud of her blonde locks as they flowed down and behind her shoulders. She even found herself rather adorable the way her sweater fell off one of her shoulders and exposed the pale and pristine skin. She was smiling as she made her way out of her home, hardly noticing what would quickly bother her. She had a plan to get breakfast but didn't immediately make her way there. She started with a trip to visit where her mother had been laid to rest, speaking a few words to the headstone before heading towards the markets and the shops.

It was only then that she started to notice the shadow following her. 'I have to be imagining things...' she told herself as she walked, and yet even when she couldn't catch a glimpse of someone behind her, she could swear she felt eyes on her. She was almost grateful as she made her way into the markets as she noticed an almost imposing looking figure up ahead and it gave her an idea.

A blush quickly spread across the normally shy girl's cheeks as she realized what she was about to do, and yet it felt necessary. She suddenly slid up beside him and worked her arm deftly around his cloak to hook his arm with hers. She leaned against him, hugging his arm and resting her head against his shoulder almost sweetly. She resisted the urge to look up at him directly, her blush fierce. "I'm so sorry about this." she said quietly to this stranger. "I'm not sure but I think someone's following me, maybe if they think I'm not alone they'll stop. I'm so sorry, I hope you don't mind." Her face felt almost hot from her blush at this point as she prayed she hadn't just angered the person she had latched on to.
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Oblivious to his surroundings and the strange event that was about to unfold, Maru stared ahead, only able to mute the chill his deadpan demeanor gave off so much. People were willing to give him the space that he wanted, and he was just fine with that. Many of them might think him privileged, obviously, a shinobi being so young yet commanding such presence without money or arrogance. He didn't care. He doubted that any of them understood what he faced every day. None of them could feel this small journal he carried with him like a totem, burning and freezing against his chest both at once. He'd already had the time to bond with his mother. Though he was hardly a perfect son, he'd loved his mother dearly, and Maru had never doubted her love for him. All he'd wanted was to feel the same from his father, to feel the same for his father. He never had. All he had of his father now was that small book. In it was the salvation of his admiration for his father... or his damnation. But every time, try as he might... Maru couldn't open it. It was right there, and yet, without fail, his courage would fail him. Was it spite? Was it fear of his worst nightmare? Or worse...

Had his father's disdain for him only been of his imagining? Had Maru pushed his father away? Had he been delusional in his bitterness? The anxiety it caused in the young boy caused anxiety as he'd never experienced before. How was he supposed to confront that alone?

It was as that thought crossed his mind that the world snapped Maru to attention. The touch of a delicate hand slipping through his arm and brushing his forearm ever so gently caused his eyes to snap straight to the source, stone-cold and focused. Upon seeing its source, though, they softened ever so slightly, and the tension that had immediately flared up in his arm went away, realizing he might inadvertently crush this innocent one's hand. Maru could tell from her fair skin and pale golden hair that she was of the Shoshiki, so she was village-kin, but aside from that, he hadn't the faintest of who she was. Her voice, he could dimly tell through his emotional stupor, conveyed a legitimate sense of concern. Inside, some part of him still festered in his turmoil and wanted no part. Still, he reminded himself he had a duty. Helping his fellow citizen was part of that duty. Besides, he had to admit that despite the inconvenience... This warmth felt nice. And for as much as he wanted to be alone, a deeper part of him wanted that warmth to stay.

"...Stay by me. Don't let go. Keep an eye on your three o'clock. I'll handle everything else," he directed softly. The firmness and certainty with how he issued those instructions would make it quite clear that this was no ordinary boy. Should she get the gumption to actually peer at his face, the girl would find that her protector was naught but two, maybe three years her senior at most, but he walked and spoke with authority. Who was he to command such an aura?

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:41 pm

When she had latched onto his arm, she had suspected he was a shinobi. His sheer presence gave that away, the way he carried himself and even the way a crowd parted like a sea before him. It was why she had chosen him out of the crowd, even if that did leave her blushing furiously and more than a little nervous that she could have offended him. As he instructed her to stay close, she let out a breath she hadn't even realized she'd been holding and hugged herself a little closer to him. She turned her head and tilted her gaze upward to get a better look at him. He wasn't much older than her, and for a moment that made her wonder if he really was strong enough to protect her. At least, stronger than her. But as she held his arm hugged to her she could feel the answer to that question, and it was a resolute 'yes'.

Reina kept an eye on her area as they walked along, and after several minutes of fair quiet she realized she saw no sign of her supposed stalker. She couldn't help sighing quietly to herself, as she realized she must have been paranoid and imagining things. For a moment she closed her eyes, hard, as she realized she was going to have to yet again embarrass herself to the boy with her. "I'm sorry." she said quietly, looking up at him again. "I don't see anything now, either they're gone or I overreacted..."

The poor girl couldn't go much redder as she felt she had just thoroughly embarrassed herself to a stranger. As she looked ahead she noticed the line of shops and a particular quiet little tea shop where she had originally been planning to go for breakfast and an idea dawned on her. She suddenly looked up at him with a pure smile on her face. "Why don't I make it up to you?" she asked, simply beaming at him. Slowly she released his arm, but her hand deftly slid over his and her fingers intertwined with his. "I'll buy breakfast!" she proclaimed happily before turning to lead the way towards the tea shop, assuming he followed....
The Tales of the Aes Sedai Fukusha Reina - Iwagakure No Sato - Jounin - #EF2B2D Atsushi Cho - Tea Country - D Rank Samurai - #A34402 Hanzo - Sunagakure No Sato - Genin - #35C4AF

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:03 pm

Sharp eyes and acute hearing repeatedly swept over the areas Maru's newfound compatriot could not cover on her own. He realized only after the fact that he'd given her orders as he would a soldier, not bothering to question whether she was actually a shinobi or merely a member of the clan. It was now, as he further reflected on this sudden and strange course of events, that her immediate recognition of his instructions identified her as a shinobi as well. Still, he imagined she was likely a genin or possibly a chuunin at most. Maru was currently the youngest jounin in active duty. If there had been someone else of his own rank his age, he likely would have heard about it. It seemed, then, that this wasn't some practical joke. Had this been but a few months before, Maru would not have likely weighed the girl's fears as heavily. Now, he knew better. He knew the seedy elements that could lurk in the underbelly of their village, and he swore to himself he would remain vigilant, however small it was. Several long minutes passed between the pair, not a single word uttered, before the girl felt at ease enough to speak.

Maru looked down at his compatriot as she spoke, her gentle voice somehow piercing the din of the marketplace around them. His tone-deaf heart didn't really understand the reasons for her embarrassment. The jounin merely shook his head. "No need to worry. Shinobi are here to protect the village from threats both inside and out," he stated simply, his firm voice perhaps failing to express the true depth of his convictions. "Helping those in the village who need me is part of my duty."

Now, it seemed his task was done. This young girl would perhaps thank him, and Maru would be on his way to find this elusive means to "fight his inner demons", as Ichi had put it. Didn't seem plenty likely he'd find it any time soon. At that was left was to-

"Why don't I make it up to you?"

Huh? He'd so quickly fallen back into his own thoughts that he hadn't been paying attention after she'd signaled the 'all-clear'. Wait, why was she smiling? And where was her hand going?

"I'll buy breakfast!"

What.

Okay, this was too much, waaaaaay too soon. "Please, I-"

Her hand tugged lightly at his, and his feet gave way to the movement, stepping forward in line with her.

...What the heck was going on.

He opened his mouth to object and found no words. Okay, welp, guess this is happening now.

What did I just get myself into? Is it really that hard to say no? he asked himself.

Yes. Yes, it is.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Reina hardly registered that Iwamaru was trying to object to her suggestion as she dragged him along into the teahouse with her. The front door was just like all the others up and down the line, a dark wooden frame with nothing all that interesting about it. But as Reina pushed the door open and led the way inside it became all the more clear. The floors were of a pale wood and pristinely clean. The walls were a light tan color with candles on every table, some mounted on the walls and even a few dangling from the ceiling. Every table was separated by brightly painted shoji screens that portrayed serene scenery. It was a beautiful and elegant place, if not a little romantic. One of the girls working towards the front immediately recognized Reina and gave her a quick smile. "Your table is empty, Reina-chan." she said cheerfuly.

Reina thanked her happily and led Iwamaru along with her to a table in the back corner. The tables were all fairly low with cushions to sit on instead of chairs and the table Reina chose was in a fairly quiet and peaceful corner, except for the sound of a light rain. Next to them was a large window that almost seemed to be looking outside, even though the teahouse was part of the market that was underground. The window was set up to look genuine, as if looking out over a flat plain with scattered trees and a light rain. "This is my favorite spot to sit." Reina explained as she sat on one of the cushions and motioned for Iwamaru to join her. "I've always found rain to be kind of peaceful." she admitted quietly, blushing once more.

That blush only deepened as she realized something however. "Oh... I didn't introduce myself, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. I'm Shoshiki Reina."

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:03 pm

The village's youngest jounin was being involuntarily detained for what he could only describe as an impromptu date. Was this real life? Was this just a fantasy? All he had to do was open his mouth and say something, and it would all be over. Well?

"..."

Sigh. Curse you and your inexperience with the opposite gender, child.

There was much to take in: the same drab marketplace doors leading into a very not-samey teahouse brightly lit on the inside, the bright lacquered woods and painted shoji screens lending to the very traditional aesthetic to the establishment. This seemed to immediately be contrasted by the exposed candles that burned upon their stands. Maru may have not been the most socially adept individual, but even he could recognize a date destination when he saw one. At the mercy of a person that he could (quite literally) benchpress at least twenty times over, the tiny fingers that somehow acted as a lead drew the beleaguered Maru to one of the many secluded booths in the teahouse, and while his eyes were more alive and aware than they had been for some time, they were mostly filled with confusion with a tiny splash of astonishment at everything that was transpiring before his eyes. He could literally rip legs off of giant spiders and use their own limbs as spears to kill scores more, yet an 80-pound genin had, without any sign of genjutsu or hypnosis, gotten him into an establishment for breakfast tea time.

Maru pushed the thoughts from his mind and resigned himself to the pleasantries that would ensue as he somewhat awkwardly took his seat. To ponder it more would hurt his head. Besides, it's not like this would be long-lived. She would see his eyes, and it was only a matter of time before, just like everyone else, they would shy away from the dull void that now defined his gaze and leave him to his grief and tortured self-doubt. If nothing else, she might find his lack of etiquette reprehensible. Living with Jousai for a significant period of time, a military organization that valued practicality over unnecessary decorum, didn't reinforce any of the polite habits that most people were raised with.

"Ah. Um... I'm Iwamaru. Tate Iwamaru," he replied awkwardly, bowing slightly, not totally bereft of his manners at least as he scanned his surroundings. The place was mostly empty, though there appeared to be a stage of some sort. What was its purpose? Performances? He wasn't sure. All he knew was he simply had to answer her questions and eventually this would be over.

That thought somehow caused conflict in him. He wasn't sure why.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Reina hardly thought of the place as a date place, not because she hadn't seen couples there before as there had certainly been plenty, but because it was simply her favorite place and she had never really dated. She was simply happy to be able to share her favorite place with someone else. She smiled as Iwamaru finally introduced himself, her head tilting slightly as a thought occurred to her. "Do you prefer Iwamaru or Maru or something?" she asked curiously, feeling his name was ripe for a nickname of some kind. She couldn't help a bit of a chuckle however as she realized something else. "You don't really talk much do you?" she asked, giggling quietly as one of the servers came by their table.

"Reina-chan! I'm so happy to see you finally brought someone with you. You come here alone so often, did your boyfriend know that?" The woman giggled as she spoke, her giggling only continuing at the blush that suddenly reappeared on Reina's face.

The poor girl was red all the way across her face. "Uh... he's not my boyfriend." she said quickly, stammering as she tried to explain herself. "I just met him actually... so I figured I'd treat him to breakfast since I bothered him... I mean... I..." she finally gave up, making a frustrated noise as the server continued giggling.

"I'll get you your usual." The woman finally said, much to Reina's relief before turning to Iwamaru. "What would you like this morning, my dear?"

Poor Reina was resisting the urge to bury her face in her sweater.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Even just starting off, it only now occurred to Maru how little truly social interaction he'd had with others outside of work. He certainly was more adept at conversations than he let on, but his wounded emotions had consolidated those pleasantries, which required some level of happiness, to the back of his mind. What was left were basic, rudimentary social skills. Part of him was glad that thing young lass had taken notice of him, even out of a desire for protection and safety, but the wall around his heart wouldn't come down so easily. "You can call me Maru if it's easier for you, Reina-san," he replied. As for the second question, he clearly took a moment to think of his response. "I'm part of Jousai. My responsibilities there... they don't leave much time to fraternize."

This was, technically, not true. Maru could easily take at least a little more time off than he did. But he didn't. People always asked what was wrong with him... and it was a question he really didn't plan on answering for other people any time soon.

Maru's eyes caught the movement of the servers from across the way. He listened intently to what she was saying, his gaze getting a little harder when the word "boyfriend" found its way into her sentences.

What.

The gears slowly clicked, even as Reina tried desperately to explain herself. Maru wasn't nearly as flustered, but even he could not help but feel a tad self-conscious, twirling his thumbs around each other as he awaited his turn to speak. "I-I'll have a black leaf tea with cinnamon and ginseng, please," he managed with a small bow to the server, much more stable in his speech than his flabbergasted companion.

The word "boyfriend" hung in his mind. He attempted to purge it, to no avail. The notion was ridiculous. They'd only just met, and this was a coincidence. Nothing more. It didn't matter how cute she was.

...Crapbaskets.

He was really resenting that well-meaning server right now. He already was having difficulty looking Reina straight in the eyes. Now, it just made a difficult task harder. No, Maru, get the idea out of your head. Running into someone else's arms as an escape from your problems isn't what Ichi-san meant. Besides, you're still a child, and so is she. Keep your head on straight, he reprimanded himself.

...Easier said than done. Reina being cute to him didn't care about his reasoning. One thing was for certain, at least: those words were never coming out of his mouth. Not once. Ever.

...Right?

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:59 pm

Reina was still blushing furiously as the server left and she looked at Iwamaru, almost hesitantly. "Sorry about that." she managed, in spite of her own blush. "I come here a lot and she's always asking me if I have a boyfriend yet, I didn't really think about that when I invited you." she giggled to herself almost more as a comfort measure than in true amusement. Still sitting on her cushion she leaned back against the wall and looked out the 'window' next to them before sighing and shaking her head as if that would dispel her blush at all.

Her mind went back to his words before, and her blush did finally slowly dispel though only because she found herself feeling almost slightly offended. 'Why would his name be difficult for me to say? Wow he must think I'm really dumb...' she thought to herself, trying not to focus on his remarks about a shortened version of his name being 'easier', and failing. "I know I'm just a stranger but, you don't have to be so stiff and formal you know." she finally said, looking at Iwamaru again as she seemed to be almost trying to solve him like some kind of puzzle.

'He doesn't want to be here at all...' The thought suddenly occurred to her and a light blush returned to her cheeks as she looked down in her hands that she had resting in her lap. "I'm sorry... I guess dragging you in here was kinda impulsive and weird, huh?" She reached up a hand and tucked a strand of blond hair behind her ear, even as the server returned and set their tea out in front of them. The woman even dropped off a tray of assorted snacks and treats. Reina didn't immediately partake, suddenly feeling incredibly self conscious about dragging her company along with her.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:29 pm

Maru's perceptive eyes peered into Reina's own, much more open than his own. The emotions she was feeling at the moment were fairly evident. He was seeing the uncertainty already starting to creep into her visage, yet despite those things, she didn't seem to be accusatory like many others had been. She was, for lack of a better word, open. His bitterness told him that to be that open was a weakness. That honesty, that freedom to allow others to know what you think, was what had let that bastard Seng run an illegal smuggling operation right under his nose. He'd manipulated his love of music and sense of isolation for his own twisted purposes. And he had literally almost died for it. The person he respected so much had put a hit out on him. He didn't have anything to explain to this girl. If she thought him strange or cold, that was fine. If was guard wasn't down, he was never in danger. Not physically, not emotionally, not ever.

...She's not Seng...

And let's say, for a moment, he did entertain a friendship with her. What then? How would she react to him being recently orphaned? With pity? With fake pleasantries? With dated proverbs about valor and sacrificing one's self for a greater cause? He'd believed that they truly meant it once. Now, he wasn't so sure. He'd seen so much of that and more while tending to his father's estate that he was sick of it. He didn't want his father's memory. He wanted his father. He'd tried his hardest to make his father proud, to capture his notice, too. And even in that, he'd failed. And now, he was left with the shattered pieces of his heart, longing for a paternal love he would never receive. How would a friendship save him from that? He knew that people came from all walks of life, but would she understand him? Could she? Or would she eventually become someone he used to know, like his father had? Someone so distant that he never bothered to appear for his own son's promotions?

...She's not Father.

Maru had to figure out his problems on his own. No one else could solve them for him. He wasn't going to find the solution elsewhere. Ichi-san was wrong. He wasn't running. He'd been fighting those demons ever since he'd been handed his father's tattered hitai-ate. He didn't need a vent. He didn't need help. Staying here accomplished nothing.

You're wrong. You're being arrogant. If you really had the ability to handle this on your own, you would have already read that damn journal. She's not Seng. She's not your father. You can't judge her by only one meeting. You keep thinking that keeping your guard up makes you strong. It doesn't. It starves you of experience. It debilitates you. It stops you from being flexible. It makes you weak. And it's turning you into someone you hate.

In a frightening moment of clarity, Maru asked himself, if that was so true, if his wisdom overrode his knowledge, what his next course of action should.

Listen to Ichi-san... Talk to her. Through whatever happens here, you may find what you need to heal... and truly become strong again.

"...No. I'm sorry... for being so distant," Maru acknowledged, the edge in his eyes now absent. Though far from free of worry or doubt, Reina would see a clarity, a vibrancy to his gaze that'd she'd yet to experience until now. "I... I can't get into everything that's happened recently, but... I'm not normally like this... And me being like this isn't your fault, Reina-san. I promise. ...Th-Thank you for doing what you did... I probably need this more than I want to admit to myself."

Wow. Literally, the longest phrase she'd heard come out of his mouth. What next?

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:43 pm

She could almost see a struggle within the boy across the table from her. Something in his eyes betrayed his mind, and she was more than a little shocked when he finally spoke up. She blinked for a moment as she tried to process his apology, and his thanks. She couldn't help a small smile before reaching for the tray in the middle of their table. She took the black pot of tea first and poured him a cup from it, passing it to him and setting the pot beside him before pouring her own from the light blue pot the server had brought. Hers was a fruity fragrant, a green tea with diced strawberries and raspberries mixed in. She then set the plate of treats between them before picking a couple of anpan and a rice cake for herself and settling back on her cushion. "I won't ask what's happened." she said quietly, looking at him a moment. "I can see that it hurts though... I mean, you don't really know me but I'm here for you, Iwamaru." she said quietly, offering a small smile.

She settled onto her cushion again, adjusting her sweater which of course it simply fell off her shoulder again. Her hair she pulled back before shifting it to drape down one side of her neck and collarbone. "So... what do you do for fun?" she asked him quietly, unaware that this too might be a tender subject even as she posed it. "Other than training anyway." she added, chuckling a bit. "I think I already figured out that you do a lot of that." she added, remembering the way his arm had felt when she hugged it to her upon first meeting him. Of course, this brought a light blush right back to her cheeks.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:23 pm

Maru nodded. "Please, call me Maru," he offered in return. "...My friends call me Maru."

Nodding in thanks, he took the cup and took a sip of his tea, his head tilting slightly at the flavor. Maru had made the order out of spontaneity, but it seemed that he'd found a tea combination that suited him nicely. It seemed that he was cautiously extending an olive branch, if it were, from the wall of thorns that his heart sat behind. His first instinct was to answer Reina's question with the most obvious answer, but he stopped himself. Even that one word alone could open up a can of words he wasn't ready to talk about yet. He also picked up something when she mentioned that she figured he liked to train, but being the "bigbig dumbdumb", her quick onset infatuation with his practically carved physique was lost on him. He had to say something else. "...It's mostly technique guides and mission dossiers, but I like to read," Maru offered. "Do you have anything you enjoy doing in your free time?"

He did his best to remain relaxed but poised, slowly allowing himself to admit more and more to himself that he found Reina quite pleasant on the eyes. Beaming eyes, glistening blonde locks, even the way the sweater showed her shoulder without being risque. Maru mentally reprimanded himself, clearly aware of how young they both were. His parents had conveniently died before they could talk about the very simple world of "boy likes girl, what do now, mudder, fadder." That, combined with his already emotionally compromised situation, was causing observations that he both had never made before and didn't quite know what to do with.

Other than absolutely keeping them to himself. This was his first normal conversation in literal months; he wasn't about to screw this up.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Reina couldn't help a smile as Maru gave his nickname. "Maru it is then." she replied.

As she was asked about her own hobbies the girl couldn't help tilting her head a moment as she thought about it. "I guess I don't really have any if we don't count studying and training." she admitted, giggling at herself. "Daddy doesn't really let me out of his sight much so I don't get enough spare time to do much else..." She trailed of a moment, a brief glimpse into the girl's own pain. But it was a pain she had become so accustomed to that it was barely a flutter in her expression before it passed and she as all smiles once more. After all, though she loved her father she wished she'd had the chance to know her mother.

She finally sipped her tea and took a moment, closing her eyes and sighing contentedly to herself. "I do love tea though." she admitted quietly. "It just... it's relaxing." she smiled, though a touch of sadness had returned. "Daddy told me that my mother and he met in a teahouse similar to this one when they were my age. She worked in one. So I guess that's where I get it." She shrugged almost happily, nibbling on one of her anpan and enjoying the sweet taste of it.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:11 pm

Reina had no way of knowing that Maru was uniquely equipped to sense the absence of Reina's mother in her life and less-than-perfect relationship with her father. His eyes seemed to focus a bit more intently as Reina spoke of her parents. There was a certain understanding visible in Maru's gaze, though not a perfect one. The jounin knew that only she could fully understand her situation, but there were plenty of notes in her story that hit close to home. Still, at least she had the firm knowledge that her father loved her. He still has no way to know except...

The weight of the journal in his jacket felt heavier than before.

He wouldn't poke or prod about Reina's father. He knew too little of the man and their relationship. But however forlorn a subject, it was a similarity, a shared connection. His next words might seem cryptic to others, but the weight of his words made their full context evident. "I see... Your mom, too," Maru stated softly. His eyes spoke sympathy and shared pain. His mother's death, though still painful, was something he'd actually been able to grieve. And him finally catching that blasted assassin, in its own way, had granted him a certain level of closure in that respect. Not wanting to reside too long on a painful subject for her, he continued. "So you're studying to become a shinobi. Is your father a shinobi as well? If he's in Jousai, I might know him."

Taking one of the snacks, he allowed himself a humble bite, surprised at its flavor. He'd been subsisting on dried meats and fruits and rice. He hadn't had something this fancy in ages.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:20 pm

Reina paused a moment, looking at Maru as he made it clear he understood her loss, though she'd done her best not to make it too obvious. She nodded slowly, returning to sipping her oddly sweet green tea for a moment. As he asked about her father she nodded again. "He is, but I don't think he's in any organization." she admitted. "He doesn't tell me much about what he does though, we don't really talk about it outside my own training." she added, realizing he'd never actually told her if he was part of a group, or what kind of missions he took. She didn't actually know any of it.

"His name is Shoshiki Juro." she finally said after finishing one of her anpan. "Honestly he's always tried to keep me in the dark I think. He always knew I'd become a shinobi but he still tries to keep from telling me a lot of things. I'm pretty sure he's intent on making sure my missions are never anything serious either, I've caught him trying to interfere in my assignments more than once." She couldn't help wrinkling up her nose as she spoke about it, hating the fact that her father was fighting so hard to keep her so sheltered.

Reina herself had no illusions about the job she had taken on for herself. She knew she would see horrific things one day, and hated that she was being shielded from even minor things now, as if it was keeping her from being ready for the worst.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:01 am

Maru wanted to comment on her father's meddling in her mission assignments since those are handed directly down from the village, but he held his tongue. If he had been given the chance to choose whether his father was too involved in his life or not enough, he might have honestly chosen the former. It clearly frustrated Reina that she was being held back, but she still knew her father loved her. "In due time, you'll carve your own path, Reina-san," he reassured her. "You will have your assignments, and he will have his. It's likely his missions mandate secrecy. I know I can't fully understand your frustrations, but you will have your time to prove yourself. Just be patient and continue working hard. It will pay off."

That was perhaps a bit more professional than he intended it to sound, but she seemed passionate about her career as a shinobi, and even with everything the shinobi life had done to negatively impact his own life, he didn't regret his choice. Shifting focus from her father's intrusions, he decided to ask more about her own skill sets and interests instead. "So I know you brought me here since this was one of your favorite places. Can I take it the paintings and artwork might have something to do with it, Reina-san? Have you thought about picking up painting or art as a hobby?" he suggested, quick on the uptake for his rusty social etiquette.

One thing that Maru had going for him was that Reina did not hide what she was feeling. However faint, however slight, she allows her thoughts on the matter to be known. For someone who was still easing back into this whole "being sociable" thing, that helped immensely.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:50 am

Reina nodded as Maru spoke of her proving herself. She knew he was right, but some part of her still felt like she might never get the chance to if her father didn't let up at some point. Considering Maru had already mentioned Jousai she almost wondered if an organization like that might be a good way to get out from under her father's thumb and all too watchful eye, and give her the chance she could be a strong shinobi rather than just a sheltered little girl. But as Maru turned his attention to possible hobbies for Reina, the girl couldn't help another light blush. "I mean... I've thought about it I guess. I just... assumed I'd be horrible at it." she remarked, shrugging as she turned and noticed Maru was running low on his tea.

She quickly shifted so that she could lean over the table enough to pour him a new cup, as well as one for herself of her own kind of tea. She also secured a rice ball for herself that looked like it might be decently good. "I'm glad you stuck around." she admitted rather suddenly, another blush creeping up her cheeks yet again. "It's nice to not come here alone for once..." she remarked, smiling at Maru. "What about you thought? I said reading but said it was mostly reports and stuff? Have you thought about reading something else? Or another hobby?"

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Reina’s appreciation for his presence caught him off guard. It was one thing to receive such adulation from work peers, but to hear it from Reina somehow was different. Maybe it was because only a few minutes before that he saw her as a civilian. Maru was usually the one who was expressing appreciation, dependent on the experiences of others more capable than himself. He was just doing what he thought was right. He didn’t expect praise or appreciation, so to receive it anyways was a confusing experience. ”...I’m glad I could help,” he replied timidly, clearly uncertain with what to do with himself.

Almost as if on cue, the delicate strum of a koto broke the quiet atmosphere. Reina would see his eyes visibly sharpen as they immediately locked on to the source of the sound. From one corner of the shop, it seemed that one of the workers had pulled out the instrument on their break. It was clear from his attire that he worked in the back. Most anyone else wouldn’t think anything of it. For Maru, on the other hand, it was a reminder of the very real scar he still bore on his heart.

His jaw clenched tightly as his desire to play the songs he’d worked so hard to learn in private clashed with the deceptions of his previous sensei. How long has he been involved? How many illicit transactions had that bastard Seng used him to complete? How many criminals had heard him play music in that store? ...How many people had been hurt because of his ignorance? How many people had died because of his blind loyalty to that wretched excuse for a human being?

After a few very tense seconds, he pulled his eyes, staring back into the dark tea in his cup. ”...Not anymore, no,” he said quietly, goosebumps rising on his skin and hair standing on end. It was obvious that even that had been difficult to say. Anything more beyond that might be lost on Reina, but pressing the topic further wouldn’t end well. That much was clear.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Initially when the music started up, Reina couldn't help a smile that came to her lips. It was one of the things she loved about this place as well, the music that would sometimes be played when certain members of the staff would come on break. But almost immediately she noticed the shift in Iwamaru. She saw a certain tension in him as the music began, as well as a desire and what confused her most was the anger she also saw. Taking a risk she glanced around their table quickly, the table that had cushions circling it. She had sat across from Iwamaru, but she didn't necessarily have to stay there.

After seeing his reaction to the music, the girl got up from her spot and moved to a cushion beside him. She thought about saying something, but the anger she'd seen in Maru for a moment kept her mouth shut. Instead she shifted and took one of his arms into hers once more, hugging his arm to her and intertwining their fingers. She rest her head against his shoulder and merely sat there for a moment. "Something stole the joy in you." she said quietly. It wasn't a question, simply a statement of facts. She didn't ask him what happened, or what it was, she merely made an observation and remained close.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:47 pm

The recollection of what had transpired nearly caused a full retreat back into his shell. Maru's eyes were boring into the tea in his cup, and it was taking a considerable amount of willpower not to crush the cup in his hand. It was completely illogical to be so angry at some poor fellow spending his hard-earned break time to play relaxing music. He knew that. Every part of his mind knew that. Still, this reaction was something primal, something raw and emotional. He'd never had to deal with something this vicious. He'd never had to deal with so much while simultaneously suffering so much. It was one thing after another, crashing down on him over and over again, like boulders from a landslide. His chest burned with lava, a persistent, painful heat that he couldn't quell. It was at times like this where no matter how much he tried to fight through, everything just hurt.

A now-familiar sensation slid across the bottom of his forearm, small and delicate fingers tracing along his skin. A clenched grip gave way to a relaxed hand so that those fingers could stay his frustration. A feather-light pressure set itself upon his shoulder, but unlike before, something kept him from meeting Reina's eyes. The irony of their reversed roles was not lost on the boy. Her words were light, without judgment, a cool stream to cool magma to obsidian stone. His logical mind reprimanded him for allowing practically any of this. He was young, and she was younger. They were both shinobi, and he wildly outranked her. People would assume everything except the truth. And imagine if her father walked in and saw them together! Iwamaru knew that there were so many reasons why this was a bad idea. But his heart spoke louder. He needed help. And she knew how to help him in the way he needed.

And that was enough.

The edge in Maru's eyes slowly faded, leaving only weariness and pain. "Yes... Life. Life took it away," Maru stated just as plainly. He had no other words to speak of what his heart was feeling. It was all he could manage. Hopefully, for now, she would understand.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:27 pm

She heard his reply, and for now Reina was content to leave the words there. Curiosity gnawed away at her mind but she knew it was fruitless and might even be heartless to ask for more information. The expression in his face made it clear how fresh the pain was, and while the music played she simply stayed where she was, leaning against him. Her fingers intertwined with his did fidget, her fingertips running over his knuckles gently and caressing the skin between his fingers as well. Her other hand came over to rest on his forearm, fingertips running up and down in an attempt to comfort. "It's okay." she said quietly. "It's never fully gone... we'll find you a new joy." she added, her words still a whisper against his arm.

Her off hand came up his arm, fingertips trailing up above his elbow and running across his upper arm as she thought over what she might do to help him. The music only lasted a few minutes and eventually faded away before the man went back to his work, and Reina tilted her head to look up at Iwamaru. "You're welcome to come with me more often." she said quietly, hesitantly. "I'm usually hear this time and day every week really, kinda like clockwork. Maybe it'll help you find something in the music again? I mean, most places play a lot of music but here it's just once in awhile. It'd give you plenty of breaks between."

The blush returned with a vengeance as Reina suddenly sat up and released his hand, reaching up to tuck her blonde hair behind her ears again. "Sorry... you probably aren't interested in spending so much time with someone you hardly know... or be this close..." She was so unsure of herself as good company the girl was certain she must have just been making things worse.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Such confidence. Such optimism. But a few months ago, he had those things. Bitterness conflicted with reason. It was easy to speak of joy and recovery from the outside looking in. Still, it was that outside perspective that allowed Reina to see what Maru was blind to. Though struggling with powerful, negative thoughts, he held onto some kernel of wisdom, however small. And however happenstance their meeting, though she was ignorant to the depths of his tragedy, she hadn't fled, as almost everyone else had. She had stayed, and she had listened to however little Maru had to say. Others would dismiss her words, but though he himself wanted to, he couldn't. They offered hope for what was to come, something he desperately needed.

Maru inwardly flinched at the thought of listening to music again. The notion did not bring pleasant thoughts to his mind. He remembered how moments after Seng's shop was cleared of evidence, he'd pulverized the entire place with a single swing of his fist. He'd sworn to himself that he wouldn't ever let himself be that naive again, that he'd never let himself be so utterly deceived. He understood that enemies can come in all shapes and sizes. Never before would he have thought someone as seemingly honorable as Seng would be capable of such evil. Was he not now just trading malice for inexperience? It's not like the results would be different.

Yet, in the face of all that, Maru stood utterly defenseless in the face of this girl's mild requests. He'd never met anyone before who so quickly reminded him of his mother. She didn't speak lies, but Reina tried to be positive in the face of grim truths. Thus, when she suddenly pulled away, despite how agitated he'd been but moments before, Maru found himself wanting of her company. Thus, when he finally did speak, his words might surprise her. "...I'll come. Only if it's with you," he responded quietly.

What had started out as a chance meeting had turned into something more. What it was and what it would become, he wasn't certain, but he knew that he needed to see her again. He needed to remember what joy felt like, and she knew how to lead him back to it.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:15 pm

Reina had spent a great deal of time alone lately, a fact that Maru couldn't possibly know. She had become so shy and often assumed others didn't want to be around her because of that. Fact was she knew why, her father kept her sheltered and even away from others, but as she grew older she was slowly looking more and more like the mother who had died giving birth to her and the man had slowly begun to withdraw. Of course she talked like nothing had changed, but only because of her understanding and forgiving nature.

Still, Reina was starving for attention and caring from another human being, perhaps almost as much as Maru seemed to be.

Only as he admitted he'd come with her to the teahouse more often, and only if it was with her, she was suddenly much more overt about how she felt about it. She had pulled away from him, but in that moment she turned to face him and threw her arms around his neck in a hug. In the process, she hadn't realized this also meant she was practically sitting on the man's lap. A passing server giggled but Reina didn't hear it, her head buried against his neck. "Thank you." she whispered against his skin, grinning from ear to ear in her moment of pure happiness.

She was so tired of coming alone.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:52 pm

Well. This was what it was like to have a human necklace. All things considered...

This was nice. Which was good. Mind you, Maru didn't know how to react, but still, it was nice.

After taking some time to figure out exactly what to do, Maru gently placed his hands on her back, returning the hug if not awkwardly so. He let Reina decide how long the hug would last. He couldn't remember the last time he'd had a hug. How did this go again? Sure, there were the shoulder hugs that he got from his comrades in Jousai, but this was... different. She was warm, calming, soft. It reminded him of his moment.

He let his hug get a little tighter.

Eventually, he regained his senses and realized exactly what their current position implied, and though he was too awkward himself to stop it, a light blush did rise to his cheeks. Was this okay? If her father was really as overbearing as he sounded, did he know anyone here? What would happen if word got back to him?

Wait... The shadow that had been chasing Reina... Had it been him?

He tried to push the thoughts from his mind, but part of him still worried. Still, he tried not to reside too heavily on it. For now, he was with Reina.

His friend.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Reina hadn't given any thought to her actions when she hugged Maru. With her face buried against his neck she slowly became aware of several things. There was the feel of her own breath coming back at her as she breathed against his skin. She noticed the smell of sweet pine, likely from whatever soaps he tended to use to wash up. She found the smell comforting, but under it was a hint of salt and sweat that probably decorated him day to day, his natural scent that she found relaxing. The fact that she found him relaxing unnerved her a bit, but eventually she realized what she was doing.

She didn't immediately retreat from him, but the blush had worked its way back into her cheeks. She felt him hug her back, hug her tighter even, and it brought a smile to her lips against his neck. But after a few moments even as she felt his grip loosen a bit, she loosened her own and pulled back from him. She looked at him and realized quickly how close she was to him, but even as she briefly noticed she was close enough to kiss him, she also realized she was sitting on his lap. Her blush burned hot as she quickly hopped off his lap and onto the cushion beside him once more. The giggling server who walked by didn't help her any.

"Sorry about that." she said quietly, glancing around again before looking at Maru.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Maru himself noticed much about Reina as well, being so close. One thing his sharp nose picked up immediately was the scent of lilac in her hair, which immediately reminded him of his mother. And lavender, too, lightly lifting up from her skin, no doubt from the soap she used to wash this morning. Her skin was impeccably soft, not unlike the finest satin. He'd never really hugged a woman like this before. Were they always this soft, this delicate? He doubted it, if Mariko-sensei's strength had anything to say about it. Nevertheless, this was something strange, new, calming. The more he held on, the harder he found it to let go.

For a single beat, his heart thumped against his chest, and his senses brought him back to attention. This wasn't normal for him. He needed to let go.

Though perhaps not as fiercely as Reina, when she finally pulled away, his cheeks were also a little flushed, and he suddenly found it difficult to meet Reina's gaze again, for a very different reason. There was no way he could have predicted what had happened today, and he was dealing with a range of experiences and feelings that, even without his deep trauma, he wouldn't have known how to handle. Shaking his head, he rebuffed Reina's apology. "N-No worries, you did nothing wrong," he replied softly, doing his best to keep his composure. "...That was nice of you. Thank you."

Maru could hardly believe himself at this point. He was literally twiddling his thumbs at this point. He understood it had been a while since he'd had a normal conversation, but how had he become this inept at having a basic conversation?

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:00 pm

There was an awkward silence for several minutes as Reina tried to recover from what she had done on a whim, and tried to think of something else to talk about. But she kept coming up empty, some part of her girlish mind wondering why she hadn't tried to kiss him while she had the chance. She was almost relieved when the server came by with the check and Reina quickly paid it. "I guess we should leave." she finally said awkwardly, going to pick up her things and get up once the bill had been paid.

She waited for Iwamaru, waiting for him to get up as well that she might walk out with him back to the underground part of the markets. Though from there she had no idea what to do. "So do you have a lot you have to do today?" she asked him cautiously, looking up at him as she realized she wasn't quite ready to leave his company behind yet. She wasn't sure what they could do to continue their time, but she just didn't want to walk away. Going home would mean going home to her father and it would hardly be a day off if she had to spend much of it with him again. But staying out meant trying to find more to do and she really wasn't sure what to do with herself.

In what seemed like a short time, she found she had already become a bit dependent on Iwamaru. He was a comfort to her in her loneliness after all.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:39 pm

As Maru expected, for a few solitary minutes, the two of them struggled to regather their poise to no avail. Thus, when Reina introduced the marvel concept of taking their leave from the restaurant, Maru was only too happy to oblige. Walking out of the quiet teahouse into the louder markets outside, Maru's eyes quickly swept the area, making sure there was no one overtly suspicious. Slowly, they began to stroll the streets of the market, and Maru found himself surprised that Reina didn't immediately attempt to depart or find some of her other friends. At her inquiry, he shook his head. "No... Today is a day off. I just got back from a mission. One of my colleagues... encouraged me to come down to the market," he explained.

Maru decided it would be time for him to turn the conversation to her. Everything had been about him so far. "What about you? I imagine you have classmates who you could go to see today, right?" he probed. The pair of them had only ever talked about her father, so he still wasn't sure what the other aspects of her life were like. Perhaps she still had friends that were more balanced than he was. He wasn't about to make some false pretense that he was the most stable influence, and Maru didn't want her to feel obligated to separate himself from them.

Maru took a look around. He recognized this area. There were some parks further down into the village, on the next level. If she was willing, he would offer to go there if it came to it.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Reina couldn't help a small smile as Maru mentioned it was was a day off for him, as well as why he was in the market. "Well I'm glad they did." she replied, looking up at him and smiling as they walked along. But of course, a moment later he turned the conversation more to her and Reina couldn't help another small blush and a shrug. "I don't really see my friends much." she said, turning her head and looking down at her feet. She stuck her hands in her pocket and frowned lightly. "Honestly I haven't seen them in awhile, a few months maybe..." she added.

Reina sighed to herself quietly and looked straight ahead for a moment before continuing. "They're all gone on missions a lot... or dad has me training or... a lot of times he just doesn't let me go out." she shrugged and sighed again, shaking her head. "I get this one day a week to go out alone and spend my day how I want, but that's pretty much it. I guess its something he and mom discussed about how they wanted to raise me... and it seems my day off is usually a day that my friends are on mission or doing other things..."

Fact was, Reina knew what it really was. Her father often wouldn't let her go out, even though she was a shinobi now, and her friends didn't really understand that. After being turned down so many times, most had simply quit coming around.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:52 pm

Perceptive eyes scanned Reina’s expression as she gave her reply. It seemed she didn’t much fancy talking about herself or her situation. She had already acknowledged that her father had a very strict training regiment and schedule for his daughter. No doubt, that would make maintaining relationships difficult. He knew that all too well. Though it was hardly to the same extent as his genin companion, Maru had also observed that some of the others in Jousai had been more distant with him ever since his father’s passing. He couldn’t blame them, either. Maru had simply shut down. To a large degree, he still was. This was probably the most open he’d been with someone in months. Shizuo hadn’t gotten this much out of him.

As Maru listened, this strange, insane idea came to his head. Maru was ever the boy, ever trying to find solutions to everyone’s problems except his own. It continued to materialize until finally he felt compelled to speak. ”...You need freedom so you can grow,” he observed. ”When you get promoted... why not join Jousai? You have training grounds you can access whenever you want, you‘ll have plenty of missions... and our leader is one of the highest ranking shinobi in the village.”

He couldn’t very well criticize a person he didn’t know. Though his methods were mistaken, Reina’s father wanted what was best for his daughter in his eyes. It was a sight better than what his own father had done for him. Still, it’s clear that Reina’s potential was being stifled. Maybe Jousai could offer a solution?

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Reina gave Maru an odd look for a moment. She had never considered joining an organization, to her such a thing didn't mean more freedom, if anything it meant just another cage. "That won't just result in me feeling trapped more? I mean... how would that be freedom?" She was thoroughly confused by the idea, but at the same time she quickly started to realize a few key things. Her father had this irritating habit of playing her sensei and picking out her missions for her, and she realized an organization meant no buffer. Her missions would be assigned to her fairly with no way for her father to pretend he was an assigned sensei. Missions would be handed down to her directly. Perhaps it also meant she could decide when and how she trained.

She wasn't certain, but if all that was true, it certainly sounded appealing. "Maybe not a bad idea..." she muttered, suddenly smiling up at him. "And I'd get to see you more, right?" she asked suddenly, hardly realizing exactly what she was asking until the words were out of her mouth and yet again the blush quickly returned. "I-I-I... I mean... if you wanted to..." she stammered out, looking down rather quickly at the ground and her own feet.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:43 pm

Maru understood that Reina had a sharp mind. Though she first voiced an objection, she almost immediately continued to turn the idea over in her head more thoroughly, recognizing while Maru would ever suggest trading one yoke for another. That was okay. He knew that all she needed was a bit of time. The realization of the actual implications of his suggestion seemed to cross her features slowly, as skepticism gave way to hope. Maru didn't smile; he'd not done so in many a day. Still, he felt a small sense of satisfaction in offering his new companion a way out of her stifling situation. If he could benefit his fellow villagers just a little bit, that was enough. Doing the right thing needed to be its own reward.

With that said, when Reina looked at him and asked about seeing him again, Maru blinked in surprise. At first, he immediately resisted the notion. Aside from the obvious conflict of interest that could create as someone who seriously outranks her and the optics of any non-secular fraternization between each other, part of him still didn't expect this companionship to last, possibly even outside of today. So many others were too focused on their own goals and problems to look outside themselves. They didn't care to not be put off by someone shut down, to reach out even when it looks like they're not wanted.

With all that said, though... part of Maru also fought to keep Reina close. For as little as he was ready to open up, she was the only one that had bothered reaching her hand into the thorns. She'd somehow managed to not get cut, but he knew it would only be a matter of time until she did. How would she react? He wasn't sure, but no one else had tried to do what she did. He had to try. And it seemed to be important for her, too. So he had to try for her, too. It took him a few moments to respond, but he finally managed to form the words. "...I won't always be the best conversation partner... but, if it is what you want... I'd like that," he acknowledged, now finding it difficult to meet her gaze.

This was new territory for him, and he was already in great emotional pain. Would this simply be another source of pain? No. He couldn't think like that. He had to have faith... Frankly, that's all he had.

Willoria

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by Willoria » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:49 pm

Reina did not expect the response she got from Maru. She looked up at him almost innocently as she processed what he had said, before suddenly hugging him around the waist. She wrapped her arms around him and didn't think about it, tilting her head to grin up at him. "It's good to have a friend again." she said quietly. This time as she realized what she had done, and how she had willingly invaded his personal space, she didn't suddenly blush and pull back. She found herself comfortable enough with him that she didn't suddenly feel embarrassed by her own actions. They were simply a part of her and she knew he'd understand that.

She even went a step further and pushed up on the tips of her toes and kissed him on the cheek. It wasn't meant as a romantic gesture, that seemed to be rather evident. She simply did it and grinned up at him, as if she had only just punctuated her 'thank you' with the action. "I guess I should stop bugging you for the day though." she admitted almost hesitantly, chuckling to herself and shaking her head. "I gotta get back to my father for now." She released him slowly, taking a few steps away before giving him a wave and making her way down the path back towards home.

ShinobiTruth

Open Up Your Eyes

Post by ShinobiTruth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:10 pm

Uncertain eyes observed the blooming flower that was Reina's shift in expression, Maru unable to simply put aside the numbness that very much dominated his mental space. The shrewd, critical adult in his head vied for his attention, demanding that he abandon such a trivial pursuit. He wasn't going to find his cure in exposing his weakness. He was a child of the Stone. Opening up meant he would simply crumble under the faintest pressure. He had to endure this pain, he told himself, and he had to do it alone. Only through that intense heat and pressure would he become something worthy of use by the village. His father had apparently been fine not talking about his issues, and he'd still been an exemplary shinobi by the village's standards. What magically made Maru any different?

Despite how many times she'd done so in their short time together, Maru still found himself woefully unprepared for the sudden contact. After a brief pause, Maru returned the gesture, with the same firm, secure hug that they had shared in the tea house. His instinct was to remain on guard, but he found it increasingly difficult not to relax. Even with Shizuo, with whom he shared a closer bond, it had simply been impossible to open up, like even a slight crack in the statue could cause the whole thing to come crashing down. Yet, it was through a soft touch, not a firm one, that Maru found himself slowly being coaxed out of his shell. He wasn't certain why, but he hadn't felt the warmth in his chest like he did now in a long time. He couldn't let his stubbornness prevent him from trying to find a better way to tackle his emotional issues. Reina might provide the path to that better way.

The sudden light pressure on his cheek came out of left field. He'd not ever had someone kiss him, other than his own mother as a child, and for a brief moment, the person Maru had been before all this shone through. For but an instant his eyes were clear, focused, discerning. He searched Reina's eyes for the meaning of what she'd just done and only found what had been there before: a desire for companionship. Just as quickly, his guarded veneer returned, yet his thoughts still revolved around that display of kinship. When she pulled away, he nodded. "I see. Get home safe, Reina-san," he acknowledged, returning the wave as he watched her vanish into the crowd.

He stood in place for some time, trying to make sense of all that had happened today. Should he be happy? Apprehensive? Only time would tell if Reina would prove true to her word... but as he slowly turned and made his way back to headquarters, he couldn't help but contrast the warmth of her friendship with the early evening chill that descended upon the valley. For as brief a time he'd had to experience it, he found himself missing that comfort already.
Fin

Return to “Iwagakure no Sato”