Kanade, Bannin of Iwagakure?

Kanade
User flair: Of a thousand jutsu

Post by Kanade » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:30 pm

Kanade walked up to the kage office and sighed. It was the second time, since arriving, that she had been to the office and she wondered whether her journey to the spirit's nest, her subdual of the spirit in the catacombs, or her help with the hospital and the people of Iwagakure would help catapult her into a position of Bannin. She adjusted her hair, making sure that it retained the braids as her butterflies danced busily about, showing her own stress which wasn't shown on her stony countenance.

She had taken what that kirigakure no sato shinobi had said to heart, which was that she wasn't known, she wasn't even heard of, and her talents surely would go to waste without stepping up for the good of the village into a Bannin position. She knew that she could help more people, reach greater heights, and perhaps even gain the favor of the Enkouten clan if she was a Bannin. Surely they couldn't look past it if she were a Bannin. She still wore no brand band around her arm, having not earned the last name of Enkouten yet. It was a month into the trial, and she wanted to make as good an impression in two months' time as possible when she stepped back up in front of the elders' council.

Breathing deep she raised her hand and knocked on the door, it wasn't an impolite knock, one that was forceful enough to show that she was there by appointment, that she wasn't afraid of the verdict waiting for her inside, and that she was determined and confident even if her heart and guts said otherwise. On the other side of the door was Tatsuo, the man who ate Takeo, the man who had brought her under his wing and had seen the potential that she had, even when others did not. She couldn't help being a bit intimidated by the legend that the man wore wherever he went, and impressed by it. She would be a fool if she didn't, but she was confident in her skills, and that she had shown them since arriving in Iwagakure under his protection and with his blessing. Now was the time to put her best foot forward and ask for a promotion.

After all, she had earned it right?
~~My characters~~
Iwagakure Jounin: Kanade Enkouten
Thread Tracker for Kanade (previously Chiaki): viewtopic.php?f=105&t=8345273&p=4197389#p4197389
Kirigakure Genin: Achiyo
Heart Samurai: Kyudo-ite, Kasuri
Sunagakure Genin: Kouseki, Kagayaki
Sunagakure Jounin: Naegi, Aihachi

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Post by Niro » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:02 pm

Tatsuo was deep in thought as he looked out across the Village Hidden in the Stone from the massive bay window at the back of his office. His eyes were still locked onto some place faraway as he mulled over the orders the Daimyo had recently passed down revolving around Wind Country. The loss of Hibiki and Ken was still fresh on his mind and the mood in the village still somber over their deaths. It was only slightly elevated with the promotion of one new Bannin but even then, without Hibiki to lead the ceremony, it didn't feel the same. And the damn Daimyo was demanding he speed up operations to take Sunagakure no Sato. His teeth ground together and the muscles along his jaw grew taut as he did so. The bastard treated them like they were disposable some days.

Tatsuo had only met the man twice but each time he had put on his best smile and bowed his head deep. The man controlled enough land and manpower it would be almost impossible for a single shinobi village to oppose him. His hard work over the last few years of establishing smaller hidden villages and heading them with loyal Bannin had been working, albeit slowly. One day his hope of superseding the Daimyo would come to fruition but he doubted it would be any time soon. His thoughts were broken by the rapt of knuckles against the thick wood of his office door.

Ah, she was finally here.

One of the first things Tatsuo did upon reaching the Tower each morning was check the schedule left by his secretary. The appointment for this morning was one worthy of catching his eye and he had been pondering it all night. He had even slipped question about to woman to Natsumi during the afternoon and evening as he had cooked dinner and the two tucked in for the night. Something to get a better idea of the woman after her experience jumping into the body of an Enkouten clan member. Between him being exhausted from his own duties and she from her hospital duties, there wasn't much exchanged even though Natsumi had much more experience with Chiaki compared to most in the village.

"Come in." Tatsuo called out loudly, his voice easily carrying through the air and to the other side of the door. Even as the door knob turned and she stepped through, his eyes continued their fixation on the village. "The Enkouten body fits you nicely. Please, sit." He spoke again, a firm yet soft tone to his voice. Once she did sit in one of the two chairs in front of his desk, Tatsuo would finally turn to greet her with a gentle smile framing his tired eyes.

"So, Kanade, I hear you've been sliding into place within the village, albeit not without some friction." He took two steps towards his desk and sat down into the high backed chair. Tatsuos hands came together and his fingers steepled as he rested his chin on them, the smile still not fading from his face as his royal purple eyes locked onto her form. "Natsumi has told me of your exploits with her in the Catacombs and in the hospital. We're quite grateful to have another world-class healer within our ranks. Thank you for those you've saved so far."

"I know why you're here but I want to hear it from you, yourself. So, tell me. What do you want and why do you deserve it?"
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam
Tatsuo [color=#940839][b]IwaTsuchikageTeam 18 Jousai
Kinomichi [color=limegreen][b]IwaBanninJousai
Kotetsu [color=slategray][b]IwaGeninTeam 7
Ashura [color=coral][b]SunaGenin
Sai [color=#FF14A1][b]Kiri - MND-Rank
Yamato [color=#C71585][b]KiriA-Rank

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:38 pm

Kanade slipped into the room quietly, opening and closing the doors on well greased hinges as she did so and bowed deeply to her kage. She hadn't really felt the sense of duty to Hayate ever as she did to Tatsuo. The sense that she truly did belong here. He ushered her into the chairs opposite him and she took the left, making the decision based on her dominant hand and sat down, giving him a practiced easy smile. She was being praised which was a good first sign, though he wasn't blind and that was well, as she didn't have to explain why her entrance into the village was rocky.

She cleared her throat and spoke up as he steepled his fingers and she relaxed into the chair, one leg curled over the other in a relaxed stance, her left hand resting in her lap while her right played with the fabric of the chair. She made sure to sit forward just a tad so as not to ruin the upholstery with her hair. "The reason that I wanted to see you today was that I would like to apply for a promotion to Bannin." She had thought about why since she had dealt with that spirit of venom and poison in the Spirit's Nest and what she owed to Thabisa for taking her body, which she did feel suited her to the marrow. Perhaps it was because it was given to her willingly, and perhaps it was because she never felt right in the silicone one that she had made herself. One's own body loses mystery when the hands that made it are the same that use them for every day tasks.

"I am sure that you have read about the exploits in the hospital, the ministrations there, and the catacombs and the chance that I have had there, but I believe that I can be of better service as a Bannin of this village." She nodded, her eyes straying from his to the left as she recalled all that she had done there so far, and what there was left to do. The molten irises snapped back to stare into his purple eyes as she continued, "I have culled two spirits, one of which claimed the life of an elemental body, and nearly claimed my life. I am a master at Jikukan, and the best smith that you have here in the village, having taken four students so far, and hope to lead Iwagakure into a new age of armament through those skills as well." She placed a finger on her lips and thought, feeling the fingernail recently filed and polished for this audience slide against her lips before she continued, "I am probably the best combat medic you have, aside from Natsumi, and have many different elements at my command. Besides all of these things, I have a desire to take care of the village in a leadership capacity. There is only so much that I can do myself to further the village from a Jounin position, but as a Bannin, I could teach, nurture, and hone the future generation of Iwagakure, shaping the village you want to see, and strengthening the core of the village."

Just by association, she knew that he wanted power, but to what end she had no idea, having never been in an audience that was informal before, she shook her head, "If you are asking why I personally wish to be a Bannin when I hadn't had that thought originally, I have lost a great piece of myself." She cleared her throat, "But I hope to gain much more with the loss of Chiaki Kyoukan. I hope that Kanade will make a great addition to the Enkouten Clan and that I will be able to live up to the sacrifice that this woman gave to me." She pointed at herself, but meant Thabisa.
Last edited by Kanade on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~My characters~~
Thread Tracker for Kanade (previously Chiaki): viewtopic.php?f=105&t=8345273&p=4197389#p4197389

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Post by Niro » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:04 pm

As Kanade spoke, Tatsuos right index and middle finger came together to form the Kai seal. A soft blue glow began to emanate from the walls of the office before fading away. There was many things spoken about within his office spies of foreign nations or even the Daimyo would like to eavesdrop on. Natsumi had been able to place the seal when he had first taken over the office and it had proven its worth numerous times. Once again, it would serve as a layer of armor against the world for Tatsuo, and now, Chiaki as well. As Kanade finished her speech on her feats, accomplishments, and hopes for the future, Tatsuo knew he would have to push back here and there. Some of it would be serious while other bits would be playful jabs but the easygoing smile plastered across his lips would betray none of it.

"The best smith? I wasn't aware the title of Vishvakarman had been passed on. It is quite the impressive feat to have bested the old man, especially in the eyes of the other master smiths throughout the village who were his apprentices at one point in time. The man has been able to bind any element or secret art to a piece of equipment, even if previously he hadn't known it. It just takes him a few minutes to discern how best to trap and infuse whatever into a piece of equipment before going forth from there with his smithing. And you've bested him in your short time here? That is very impressive." The title had been something passed down from best smith to best smith throughout the generations of craftsmen within the village for over a millennia. Although an extravagant title, the man currently worthy of it was seldom seen due to the sheer amount of work he produced. It was said even getting him to leave his smithy was a miracle on its own. Hell, even Tatsuo had only met the man once when Mitsuo wasn't available to repair the Sheath. It was a personal secret Tatsuo felt the man's repair was night and day from Mitsuos own.

"You are definitely among the best of the combat medics, I cannot deny that simple truth. However, are you truly ready to become a Bannin? The Bannin are shinobi who have sworn their loyalty and their very lives fully to me, to the village of Iwagakure no Sato. They're known throughout the village and worshipped as heroes. Each and every one of them are known not just throughout the village but the entirety of Rock Country's vast wilds and territories. Not to mention foreign nations. They are my wartime generals and Iwa leads from the front.

Can you do this? Can you truly pledge yourself fully to me? To Iwagakure, like Thabisa did?"
Tatsuo tone would increase in intensity as his spiel went on, finally reaching a crescendo before he fell silent once more to let his words and his questions sink into the woman across from him. The Bannin were his limbs when he couldn't leave the village and loyal to him, even before they were loyal to the Daimyo.

"Over the last decade, we have numerous jounin throughout the village with double digit spirit captures, kills, or banishments. There's also a handful of them with multiple Grand-level spirits underneath their belt. How do you think they would feel being passed for promotion by someone else they've never heard of? Defeating a spirit is not something worthy of promotion by itself.

If a promotion is what you seek, this shall be your trial. The cult previously responsible for unleashing the seal far below the village and infesting the Catacombs with the Leviathan and other spirits has been spotted once again after falling dormant the last few years. The attention on the Wind Country Invasion has given them enough leverage to begin putting another plot into motion.

Your mission, if you so accept it, is to lead a squadron of shinobi to prevent them from unleashing another ancient seal our Intel suggests is located deep within Rock Country, near the former northern border leading into the Wastes. Your secondary objective is to capture one of them alive for interrogation; the last time they were encountered the members committed suicide to prevent their plans and hideouts from being found.

In the case of the primary objective being failed, your squadrons alternative is to destroy, bind, or banish whatever spirit and reinforcements are unleashed from the seal and prevent them from escaping into Rock Country proper.

Do you really wish to do this? To gamble your cover? To give those who would chase Chiaki even in death a clue she may still exist within this world?"
Tatsuo finished, the easygoing look no longer painting his face but rather the hard set jaw and determined eyes of a young man thrust into a leadership position others his age couldn't even dream of.
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam

Kanade

Post by Kanade » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:09 am

Kanade watched as the soft blue light came from the walls as she spoke. He was activating something, perhaps a sound barrier? She cleared her throat as he started to talk about the title of best smith in Iwagakure. Apparently they even had a title. She had thought that because she had never seen the pieces of work that matched hers, or even came close. She opened her mouth, her shoulders slumped a little and she held up a finger, “Actually, I have never met him. I just haven’t seen anyone that comes close to my skill as a smith. Maybe I was putting on airs when I said that.” She second-guessed herself. “I’ll look him up, and maybe we can have a contest then.” She smiled. That was if he would give her the time of day, since she was still to be accepted as anything but a Jonin. Maybe the leap to Bannin would give her the leverage to even gain an audience with him, and challenge him for the title.

The question of whether she wanted to be a Bannin was shocking, since she had thought for the better part of a month on what she thought would make her life worthwhile, would give her a purpose that Thabisa would be proud of, what kind of a trajectory she would try for. She nodded to the question, “I am ready to take on the mantle, Tsuchikage sama.” Kanade bowed her head slightly and then looked up at the man, wondering whether or not she had enough clout to even ask for it any more. She wanted to represent the village, was tired of hiding in the shadows.

She had done a lot to conceal herself from the world, but the sacrifice that Thabisa had made, and her wishes for Kanade to live her life for both Thabisa and Chiaki both had started her down this path. She had gone and put her foot in it, and now she had to deal with the consequences. “I have already thrown myself on your mercy, and pledged my life to you Tsuchikage Sama. I have no one else in the world that I am more beholden to than you right now.” It was true, her lover had gone back to Kumogakure, her student wasn’t far behind her, Shinjiro was in Kirigakure, and the rest of her friends were back where she had left them.

“The only way now for me is forward, and it’s better to burn out than fade away.” Kanade’s magmatic hair flared to a dull orange, the underside to a white hot yellow as she said this, her orange eyes turning to a soft orangish yellow. She heard what he had said about the capturing and subduing of spirits. There had to be a way to prove it to him.

Then he gave her an out, a way to gain the promotion, the way to move forward and upward in the village, the way to finally do something with her life. She listened intently to his words and nodded, taking mental notes of how he moved, what he stressed in the story. The cult was the threat, and they certainly were dangerous, since they apparently had unleashed the seal below the village before.

“Yes Tsuchikage Sama,” She started, nodding once more that turned into a deep bow, “Thank you for giving me this opportunity. I am confident in my ability to keep someone alive, even if they wish to kill themself. I can even reverse death, if needed, and keep them from killing themselves the same way twice.” She was, after all, a medical ninja, and had specialized in capturing techniques and healing techniques that were made to counteract any form of harm, even self harm.

She hoped that the person would be able to be interrogated so that they could keep the seal from being released before the third part of the objective. That would be the most devastating part. A spirit that took that many practitioners to unseal would take twice as many to seal back up, most likely, and given her past with co-operative sealing, she didn’t like the prospect of sealing another spirit that required more than one person’s participation.

The next part caught her a bit off guard. She had thought about it, sure, but the cover that she had asked for from the Tsuchikage was in the balance. Once she came out to the world as Kanade, a bannin of Iwagakure, it was as good as tattooing a permanent target on her back. She would never be able to go anywhere without people knowing her name, without people knowing who she was and what she was capable of. She had known that as Chiaki, missing ninja of the village hidden in the clouds. Was she ready to run right back into that situation?

She nodded slowly at this part, “Yes, Tsuchikage Sama, I have thought it through thoroughly before making this request of you. I wouldn’t mind coming out of my cover anymore. Chiaki is dead, no matter what anyone says, and anyone wanting to find her and hunt her will have to deal with me.” She clenched her fists and set her jaw. She wasn’t going to be dissuaded from this task that she had set herself on, “I want to serve Iwagakure. I have served in the hospital, and I have served on the front lines of battle before. I know that every time that I go out to serve Iwagakure, there is a chance I will not make it back. I only wish to live up to the potential that Thabisa saw in me, that I know in my heart that I can achieve, and that the Enkouten Clan deserves with the loss of that bright fire.” She smiled now, wearing a determined face. She had seen hardships and had undergone training with one of the most hellish teachers and come out of it a stronger person. She had no doubt that Tatsuo was trying to make a better world. She wanted that better world too.

Foolishly, before, she had thought that she could make it a better world by healing the wounded, the sick, and the broken that were leftover from war. But to prevent more suffering, she had to get her hands dirty. She had to sacrifice the tainted few so that the innocent many could flourish. The world needed pruned, and Tatsuo was pruning it from the corruption she knew was at the heart of it. The five warring nations, the big five villages had always waged war, and united under one banner, the Iwagakure banner, meant there would be peace, finally. “I will be a Bannin, Tsuchikage Sama, you know my talents better than anyone else alive now. Use me how you see fit.” It was a worthy cause. Peace in our time.

[WC: 1176/???? NANOWRIMO]
~~My characters~~

Niro
Tsuchikage
Tsuchikage

Post by Niro » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:38 pm

Tatsuo laughed to himself mentally as Kanade realized her boastfulness towards the smiths. It was one of the few things to actually amuse the man this week. Touching back on the subject, Tatsuo let her glean some more information about the smithing culture of the village. "Good luck with that. There's a number of master smiths throughout the village who are...particular about their public image. To most people, they're unknown. They prefer it that way, less fame, more time to work on their craft. He has four specific master smiths who were his apprentices at one point or another; they'd be your best bet in finding him and asking for anything. A word of recommendation from them is one of the few ways people have been able to meet with him before." He revealed before once more falling silent and letting Kanade answer the questions he had left for her.

He was mostly satisfied with her answers. Mostly. The wording she had used didn't sleep past Tatsuo. Right now. The lack of permanent commitment was something he would file away in the back of his mind for later, for just in case, actively keeping any physical sign of his thoughts suppressed as she went on.

Tatsuo stared at her as she finished and seconds turned into a minute before finally a ligher sigh escaped him, a small smile on his lips.

"Well then, good. The operation scroll will be delivered to your abode shortly. For now, you're dismissed. I hope to see success in your future, Kanade." Tatsuo would bow his head to the woman and wait for her to exit the office before once more turning back to the bay window overlooking the village and pondering the thoughts running through his head.
#MakeIwaGreatAgain
NameVillageRankTeam

Return to “Iwagakure no Sato”